Author's note: Set during We've Got A Lot To Talk About, after Lois rejects Clark's proposal.

Disclaimer: All recognisable characters, plot lines etc. are the property of Warner Bros., DC Comics, and December 3rd Productions. I own nothing and am making nothing off this, etc etc.

She said no.

I asked Lois Lane to marry me, and she said no.

What happens now?

She knows the truth. The whole truth.

That I am not from this planet. From this solar system. Possibly not even from this galaxy. She knows that I am Superman.

And she knows that I’ve been hiding this from her- lying to her- for two years.

I hurt her.

And I can’t pretend that her rejection tonight didn’t hurt. It does. It feels like someone ripped my heart out of my chest.

But I hurt her first.

What do we do now?

What do you do when the woman you love rejects your marriage proposal?

Conventional wisdom seems to argue that it’s the end of the relationship; that you accept the fact that the woman that you love doesn’t feel the same way, and you walk away.

But I can’t do that. I won’t do that. I’ve fought too hard for too long to get to this point, for Lois Lane to love me the way I love her, and walking away now… it would be like losing part of my soul. And despite everything that has happened tonight, despite her rejection and the ache in my chest, she is still the woman that I love. She is still the woman I want to marry.

So despite what conventional wisdom dictates, I will stay here. I will work through my own pain and do my best to rebuild the trust I shattered. Together, Lois and I will save our relationship.

Because the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg