Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#276458 07/22/17 11:25 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I got inspired.

My muse has been AWOL, although this story is started. I thought maybe creating a story board of screenshots (not this image) might help. And this image came about, inspired by the talented Folc4evernaday. And no, I'm not in her league. I just play with graphics for fun.

It always bothered me that Clark Kent would put up his cousin for adoption, especially since he was adopted. In an old Supergirl comic book I read as a child, Kara was Linda Lee. Clark had left her at an orphanage and she was never adopted. I know, it was part of the plot to create two separate story lines. I still think it is a lousy way to treat anyone, especially someone who planned to take care of you as a baby.

I think "our" Martha, Jonathan and Clark would agree, so that's the premise of this story that starts during Fly Hard.

All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, nice! I'm intrigued... Can't wait to read it.

Love the stars in the background. Very SuperGirl/Superman-esque

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nice work! Love the pics you picked and I agree that if it was within the Kents' abilities, they would have taken Kara/his cousin in.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Well done. Your story banner certainly makes me want to read your story. (Whether I'll have time to do so once it is posted is another story altogether.)

I agree wholeheartedly that comic-book Clark treated Kara very shabbily. Not only did he put her in an orphanage, he also kept her as his "secret weapon" way too long. I could see him telling her not to use her powers for a short time after she came to earth so that she could first get the lay of the land, so to speak. But having him tell her not to use her powers just so that she could be his secret backup was definitely not something L&C's Clark would ever do. (If he tried it, Martha would manage to tan his invulnerable hide.) Then again, Silver Age Superman was a bit of a jerk; he often made his friends miserable while he tried to teach them a lesson.

On the positive side for Silver Age Kara, however, is that Superman did eventually let her become Supergirl and use her powers openly (Action Comics #285). Also, she was eventually adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers (Action Comics #279).

Joy,
Lynn

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Folc, DC and Lynn!

Thanks for the comments, and comments do help motivate me and my muse. hyper

Lynn and anyone else, I totally understand not having time to read stories. Even when I have time, I often find it necessary to wait until a story is complete if there's a hint that the angst is high. I'm not sure when I'll start posting, since I promised myself not to post any more stories without a sizable buffer so once I start posting, it will be regular. Comments are always welcome, even long after a story posts. A couple have led me to write another story. And I suspect that's true of others, too.

Thanks, Lynn. I never followed much of the Superman comics, I think only reading maybe two or three as a kid. I appreciate the background information. I also wonder if the "leaving Kara at the orphanage" might have been a product of the times, or perhaps the writers' and creators' situations. Still, I always thought Clark would want to help her through the potential trauma of a superpowered adolescence.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Nice job! smile

I've only read a few comics from it, but from that and what I've heard, the Silver Age was weird and often not in a good way.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard