Sleeping With the Boss
Folc4evernaday
Part 4

The next morning had been just as hectic as the day before, but with Lois having the rest she needed it was a little easier getting out the door. Thankfully Clark had made something quick for her to eat on the road as she finished up her morning coffee. After the budget meetings and setting up a schedule with Carly to make it, so they both had some time to breathe and get everything done she found Ralph in her office angry about not having the copy for his story.

“What do you mean I can’t have copy?” Ralph asked defiantly.

“I’ve yet to see any evidence to back up your claims. So far you’ve only given conjecture and insinuations from your source. There is no physical evidence that what you’re saying happened really happened.” Lois shot back.

“My source is the evidence!” Ralph argued.

“If all you’re going on is your source’s statement then you’re opening the Planet up for a lawsuit. I can’t risk it.” Lois shook her head.

“You thought I had a story yesterday,” Ralph argued.

“I thought you had a lead. I didn’t promise any copy. I said you could run with your lead. You ran with it and still have nothing to go on but assumptions.” Lois snapped irritably. “Find me evidence. Find me proof that what your call girl says happened, really happened. Otherwise, you can help Harry with his follow up on the O'Connor murder trial.”

“I can’t believe you’re killing my story!” Ralph snapped.

“It’s already dead. You’re still trying to breathe life into something that should have been dead on arrival.” Lois snapped irritably.

“If this were Kent’s story you’d let him run with it.”

“Excuse me???” Lois turned to confront him. “I know you did not just say that to me!”

“It’s true, and you know it!” Ralph shrugged. “You let him come and go as he pleases, miss staff meetings...”

“After he called in to say he’s following a lead. Yeah, I also let Dianne run with a lead yesterday morning too. You forgot that part, didn’t you? Oh, and I let Myers take a sick day…but yeah, sure, let’s focus on my husband not being in the staff meeting.” She narrowed her eyes at him, “You do not want to go there, Ralph!”

“Really? You stuck him on my story then the next day you think there’s nothing there. You sure those two aren’t connected?” Ralph shot back. Lois could feel her temperature rising as she glared back at him. If she’d had the power to fire him right now, she would have. Unfortunately, until the position of editor was filled permanently, she didn’t have that power. The insinuation was insulting both to her as an editor and to Clark as a journalist. He wouldn’t dare make an accusation like that to Perry. “This is a good story, and you know it. If it was Kent on it…”

“No, you’re right, Ralph.” Lois narrowed her eyes at him angrily ready to light into him.

“Ha! So you admit it!” Ralph sneered.

“You’re right in the fact that if this was Clark’s story, I wouldn’t kill it.” Ralph gave her a ‘I told you’ look until she finished her statement, “I wouldn’t kill it because I wouldn’t have to!” She snapped, smiling inwardly when she saw the dumbfounded expression on his face. “He wouldn’t be sitting here arguing with me about the story. He’d be investigating it. He wouldn’t be arguing about having copy for a story with no evidence because he wouldn’t bring me a story without having something called hard facts to back up his claims. Now, are you done throwing insults? I’ve got a paper to run here, and you have a new partner to find!”

Ralph stepped away from her, taken aback by the anger he saw reflected in her eyes. “Okay. Hard facts. Got it.” He repeated.

“Get out of my office and go find your new partner!” Lois snapped irritably.

Clark scanned the room, grimacing as he found rope a knife and a business card of a Colonel Marcus Raine. There was a stack of print outs on STAR Labs ‘special projects’ with Dr. Klein’s name circled on them. Clark scanned through the files with his x-ray vision and frowned when he realized what the files were of.

“I don’t understand what this is about?” Evan Press continued. “You said you were looking for my sons.”

Bill Henderson nodded, waving him out of the room and into the hallway as he reassured the millionaire of their intentions. “We’re doing everything we can to help find your sons, Mr. Press.”

“We have reason to believe that your son Ethan, kidnapped Eric,” Clark said bluntly after seeing the rope in the closet and the books in the study he knew his suspicions about Ethan were right.

“Ethan wouldn’t do something like that.” Press dismissed their claims. “The police already did their search.”

“We’re doing another search. Mr. Press. It’s called due diligence. You do want to find your son, don’t you?” Henderson asked.

“Summer reading?” Clark asked, pointing out the books that had been leafed through heavily on the desk in the study.

“What? Those are the books Ethan was reading for a research project.”

“Why is he keeping them here when he’s got his own apartment?” Henderson asked.

“He has a roommate that doesn’t let him get any rest,” Press said haughtily.

’How to Get Away With Murder.’ ‘Every Knot You Need To Know.’ ‘The Art of Strangulation.’ ‘The Darkness of Cain.’” Clark read off the titles for him.

“It’s not what it seems.”

“Sir, your son is in danger. You can either continue to stonewall us and the police, or you can help us find him and get Ethan the help he needs.” Clark added. “Your choice.”

“Yes, I understand.” Lois sighed, running a hand through her hair as she listened to Mr. Rose continue on his tirade. “I’m sure he was a great friend but a Colonel going missing in less than twenty-four hours isn’t exactly front page news….Well, for starters he’s rumored to be a drunk and a …” She rolled her eyes as he continued on his tirade. “I’ll see what I can do, but I’m not making any promises. Okay, breaking news. Bye.” She hung up the phone as Perry entered her office.

“Suits squeezing you, huh?” Perry asked with a knowing smile.

“Yeah, you could say that.” Lois sighed. “Come for another cup of coffee.?”

“I already got a cup.” Perry held up his mug with a grin. “Just wanted to stop by and see how things were going.”

“They’re good. You know, the normal stuff. Publisher trying to put his buddy’s missing poster on the front page. Ralph wanting to put tabloid articles on the front page. Getting accused of favoritism…”

“If someone’s not complaining you’re not doing your job right.” Perry reminded her. “From where I’m sitting you’re doing…well, you’re doing a fantastic job.” His smile was less enthusiastic at that remark.

“Thanks, Perry. That means a lot to me.”

“Don’t let them push you around. They’ll take a mile if you give ‘em an inch.”

“That’s what Clark said.” Lois smiled softly.

“He knows his stuff.” Perry smiled, “and he’s not going to let anyone push you around …and neither should you.”

“I’m…learning that,” Lois admitted softly. “It’s hard though.”

“Learning curves come with the territory.”

Jimmy knocked on the door, “Hey Chief!” He grinned when he saw Perry standing there.

“Hey, Jimmy I saw your photos on this morning’s paper. Great stuff.” Perry complimented.

“Thanks. It was Lois that gave me a shot though. If it’d been up to Tom he’d of had pictures from his phone.”

“Don’t get me started,” Lois warned.

Perry let out a loud laugh, “Oh, Lord have mercy that boy will never learn.”

Jimmy walked toward her with a file in hand. “CK wanted me to get these phone records for him, but I can’t seem to find him anywhere.”

“Oh.” Lois noted, “Just leave them here on my desk. I’ll give them to him when he gets in.”

“I’m going to get out of your hair,” Perry said, heading for the door. “Take care and remember what I said.”

“I will. Thanks, Perry.” Lois called after him.

“Here you go.” Jimmy dropped the folder off and headed out.

She reached over to look through the folder when Carly burst in with her list on the itinerary. “Ms. Lane, I’ve got Copy on line three…”

After stopping by STAR Labs to talk to Dr. Klein as Superman about his medical records and what kind of information Ethan Press could have access to he made a detour at Joe’s and picked up a doughnut with some coffee and the cinnamon pastries Lois liked so much. Clark made his way back into the newsroom, catching up with Jimmy. “Jimmy, any luck on those phone records for Eric Press?”

“Oh, yeah, I put them on Lois’ desk when I was looking for you earlier,” Jimmy explained sheepishly.

“Thanks, Jimmy. Anything on the bank records?”

“Last transaction was Saturday. Filling up at a gas station on Exit 12.” Jimmy said. “I’m waiting on the credit card records though.”

“Exit 12? Isn’t that over by EPRAD’s testing center?” Clark asked, putting the pieces together in his head as he spoke.

“Yeah, I think so.” Jimmy nodded.

“The same testing center where the lab explosion took place.” It wasn’t a question. More of a statement. He spotted Lois talking with Dianne outside her office. “Thanks, Jimmy. Do me a favor?”

Jimmy nodded, “Name it.”

“Send those records over to Inspector Henderson. He’s heading up the investigation. Have them check EPRAD for Ethan Press’ trailer.”

“Trailer?” Jimmy asked.

Clark handed him the license plate information he’d gotten from Henderson earlier. “Apparently Evan Press bought his son a new toy before both brothers went missing.”

“I’m on it.” Jimmy patted him on the shoulder before heading to his desk.

Clark walked toward the Editor’s office, relieved to find Lois alone. “Busy morning?” He asked, closing the door behind him.

“You have no idea.” She let out a long sigh. “Where you been all morning?”

“Watching Henderson give Evan Press the riot act.” Clark said with a grin.

“Henderson?”

“I told you last night we were going to head over there and see if there was anything at his dad’s since we couldn’t find anything at Ethan’s’ place.” Clark reminded her.

“Oh, I think it must have been after I fell asleep.” Lois smiled apologetically then noticed the bag in his hand. “Those for me?”

“Yes.” He handed the pastry bag to her. “Cinnamon pastry bites. Fresh out of the oven at Joe’s.”

“So good.” She said with a grin as she took a bite. She handed him the folder on his desk, “Jimmy dropped those off.”

“Thanks.” He took a seat next to her as she finished her second bite of the pastry, reveling in the taste on her tongue. “Enjoying yourself?”

“Eating is a privilege these days. I’m savoring every moment I can.”

He watched her lick the cinnamon off her lips and grinned. “You missed a spot.” He leaned in to kiss her, tracing her lips with his tongue and taking in the mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and coffee that was uniquely his Lois.

Remembering they were at work he pulled away, catching the heated gaze she was giving him, “So, notice anything on there?” She asked, looking away as she pointed to the green folder in his hand.

He opened the folder and saw where she had highlighted a familiar number for him. “Dr. Klein’s direct line.” He frowned.

“Why is Eric Press hacking into Dr. Klein’s records?” Lois asked.

“When did you have time to do this?” Clark asked, avoiding the question with a smile. He was impressed she’d had time to help him with his investigation and slightly amused to see that fiery grin of hers when she was hot on a lead.

“Don’t change the subject.” Lois countered.

“I…” He stopped, hanging his head as the calls for help and sirens reached his ears.

“What is it?” Lois asked.

“EPRAD’s Test Rocket Launch Pad is malfunctioning.” He sighed, “We’ll finish this later.” He leaned in to kiss her.

“Be careful.” She warned.

“Always.” He kissed her once more then left, heading toward the stairwell, tugging at his tie.

As Clark made his way toward the test site for EPRAD’s rocket center where the sirens he’d heard were blaring, he spotted a suspicious looking trailer parked outside. It was painted in lead paint making it impossible for him to scan it. He recognized the trailer as being the same make and model as the one Press said he’d bought Ethan last week. Making note of the trailer, he headed toward the test rocket launch pad to find out what the Presses had done now.

The test rocket launch pad lit up in flashing lights with the scientists running around in panic. “Forget it! Let’s get out of here!” one of the scientists said, tugging on her arm toward the exit.

“What's wrong?” Clark asked in concern.

“We can’t shut it down!” The man said frantically. “The computer’s actually forcing the engine to overheat!”

“Can’t you cut off the fuel supply?” Clark asked.

“The only way is to fuse the internal pump! Superman, we've got a nuclear warhead in the silo, if this thing explodes…”

“I understand.” Clark nodded, pushing him toward the exit. “Go!”

Clark walked into the flames of the rocket until he found the internal pump the scientist had told him about earlier. Finding the pump, he used his super-strength to fuse the pump and drain the main fuel supply. Slowly but surely the engine began to sputter, and the rocket turned off.

He let out a long breath as scattered applause filled the air and he stepped away. Thankfully the sun was out to recharge him, but he still felt drained. After checking with the scientist from earlier on his thoughts, he headed back to the trailer to see if he could find Eric or Ethan Press.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube