Sleeping With the Boss
Folc4evernaday
Part 2

The next morning, Clark finished his morning patrol and found Lois still asleep. Seeing the time he gently nudged her, “Lois?”

She groaned, rolling away from him, “Still dark out.”

“I know, but you’re supposed to be in by six.” He reminded her. She whimpered in protest. “Come on, Honey, get up.”

He nudged her once more, and she finally turned toward him. “Who’s idea was it to have the Editor come in so early anyway?”

Clark laughed, “Probably Perry’s.”

“I need coffee.”

“Go on and get ready. I’ll get some breakfast going.”

“And coffee.”

“And coffee.” He promised.

Once she was in the shower, he headed downstairs to start throwing breakfast together. Eggs. Milk. Flour. Bananas. “Muffins.” He thought to himself, whipping the mixture together at super-speed after turning the coffee maker on. Using his heat-vision, he baked the muffins until they were golden brown.

Just as the coffee maker finished brewing he looked up to see Lois rushing down the stairs, throwing her jacket on, “I’m late. I’m really really late.”

“Breakfast.” He reminded her, handing her a muffin.

She took a quick bite, pouring her coffee into her travel mug. “Thanks. Meet you at the Planet. I’ve got to…” She looked around. “Where are my keys?”

Clark grabbed them off the key rack. “Here.” He leaned in to kiss her.

After racing around the newsroom to make her meeting, Lois headed for the coffee station to refill her mug where she found Annie and Lynn giggling together. Curious she approached them with a friendly smile, “Morning. What’s so funny?”

They both stiffened when they saw her, “Nothing, Ms. Lane.” Annie stammered turning away.

“Just having some coffee,” Lynn added heading toward her desk.

Lois stared at the two retreating figured dumbfounded. It had been a day. Twenty-four hours since she’d been named Editor-in-Chief and yet already she felt like the only person that still treated her the same was Clark.

“Everyone’s gonna look at you differently now that you’re the boss, Lois.” Perry’s voice interrupted her thoughts. She turned to see her mentor standing behind her, holding his own coffee mug. “even though you’re the same person you were yesterday.” He held out his coffee mug, “Don’t mind if I do.”

Lois gave him a knowing smile, “Don’t they have coffee upstairs?”

“Aw, all they’ve got is that fancy designer espresso junk. Tastes like sludge.” He said, taking a sip of his coffee. “Ahhh, nothing like the taste of good ol’ newsroom java.”

Lois could read between the lines with Perry pretty well. She knew he missed the newsroom. The short time Lex had owned the Planet and tried to micro-manage him was the only time she’d seen Perry not live and breathe the hustle and bustle of the newsroom. She quietly wondered how well he was adjusting to his new role with the Planet.

She nodded, taking a sip of her own coffee as they walked back toward her office. “So, how’s it going? Are you doing okay?” Perry edged cautiously.

Recalling last night’s headache she sighed, running a hand through her hair, “Let’s just say I had no idea how much you juggled every day. You make it look so easy.”

Perry grinned, “You didn’t see me when I first started. I was running around here like a roof rooster.”

Relieved to hear she wasn’t the only one to struggle with the responsibilities of Editor she smiled, “Really?”

“Oh, yeah. I was a mess. It's a ton of responsibility, you get squeezed from every angle, and it all rests on your shoulders. That's the worst part; the job can be very isolating at times.” Perry looked back at her carefully as he lingered at the door. “Give yourself some time, Lois. You’ve got the brass to do the job. I wouldn’t’ve picked you if you didn’t.”

Lois smiled, “That’s what Clark said.”

“Well, he’s a smart man.” Perry awarded her a broad smile. “You two holding up okay? I know it can be tricky trying to juggle everything with family and all the responsibilities that come with this job—but I didn’t have to do it while being Alice’s boss.”

“We’re fine, really,” Lois reassured him. “How’re you liking your new job?”

“It's nine to five, more money, less hours.” He gave a forced smile, “What’s not to like?” There was something in his tone for sure. “I, uh, better get back…” He said, pointing toward the newsroom. “Thanks for the coffee.”

“Anytime,” Lois said.

Carly, her new administrative assistant, approached, notepad in hand. “Ms. Lane, your morning meeting got pushed up to eight. I pushed back the staff meeting to allow enough time just in case you run over…”

Back at the townhome, Clark was busy at work, researching everything he had on Eric Press to try and find a connection to the lab explosion. Lois was right. It didn’t make sense for Eric Press to all of a sudden start targeting his cyber attacks to major science labs or to create threats that were life threatening when prior to that he’d just been performing pranks. It was almost as if someone else was calling the shots.

He checked the background information he had on Eric and found two living relatives. His father, Evan Press. One of the oldest and most influential people in Metropolis and his brother, Ethan Press. He frowned when he saw the arrest record. Everything from disorderly conduct to attempted kidnapping and arson.

He picked up his phone and dialed, “Metropolis P.D. Bill Henderson please.” After a few minutes, he was finally transferred. “Hey Bill, morning. You were heading up the disappearance of Eric Press, right? I noticed he’s got a brother, Ethan... Has anyone checked with him since Eric disappeared? They haven’t heard from him either, huh? You are? Do you think I could come take a look? Great. I’ll meet you there in five.”

Lois let out a long breath as she sank into her office chair. Everything that could go wrong had gone wrong this morning. Between waking up late and then rushing to make the early meeting with the Publisher it had been a hectic morning all around. Now here she was with half an hour before the staff meeting and no idea what was going on the afternoon edition.

The phone on her desk rang, and she glared at it daring it to ring again.

It rang again.

“Lois Lane.” She answered the phone.

“Hey Honey,” Clark’s voice echoed on the other end. “I’ve got a possible lead on Eric Press’ kidnapping I’m following up on with Henderson. I probably won’t make it back in time for the staff meeting.”

“Okay, what kind of lead?” She asked, the reporter’s instincts in her were itching to know where he was taking what had just a day ago been their story.

“According to Henderson, he’s got a brother that went off the radar around the same time Eric went missing. I’m going with Henderson to do a ‘wellness check’ this morning. See if there’s any sign of Eric over there.”

“You think his own brother could have kidnapped him?” Lois asked curiously. Carly stepped into the office handing her a stack of requests with red flags indicating where to sign. “Orthopedic chair, really?”

“Orthopedic chair?” Clark asked.

“Uh, sorry, not you,” Lois said, scanning the stack of requests in front of her.

“Well, according to the police reports he’s pretty unstable. Nothing ever sticks though because his dad’s always bailing him out.” Clark explained.

“Oh, to be privileged.” Lois rolled her eyes.

“Ms. Lane, Publisher is on line three,” Carly said, pointing at the time.

“Okay, just a minute.” Lois said to Carly then turned back to Clark, “Well, just keep me posted on how it goes.”

“Okay, I gotta go. Henderson’s giving me that ‘hurry it up’ look.” Clark said with an annoyed tone.

Lois laughed, “Okay. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

She hit the button for line three. “Mr. Rose? Yes, this is Lois Lane….”

Clark walked out of Ethan Press’ penthouse apartment with Bill Henderson. “Neighbors said he hasn’t been by in almost a week.” He remarked.

“I’ll open a missing case on him, but guys like Ethan Press don’t exactly make a lot of friends,” Henderson explained.

“Thanks for letting me come with you. I really appreciate it.”

“Anything to get Old Man Press off my back the better.” Henderson chuckled. “But if Ethan Press is behind Eric Press’ kidnapping it can’t be good for Eric Press.”

Clark watched the detective head for his squad car and took a deep breath. The images that had been on Ethan Press’ walls ran through his mind. Lex Luthor. Everything the man had ever done was plastered all over his wall along with every major close call he’d had as Superman. Whatever Ethan Press was planning, it was big, and it was going to mean bad news for Metropolis...

Lois paced around the conference room running through the assignments for the week. She held the clipboard in her hand, “Annie, how’s that subway hijacking story going?”

Annie looked up, “Fine. Snagged an interview with the suspect. I’m meeting him at three. Shouldn’t have any trouble making deadline.”

Lois nodded, “Okay, good…” She glanced at Harry who was staring down at his notes.

“Harry, your Metro lead?”

“The O'Connor murder. Got a tip the wife's gonna confess. I oughta have copy for you by six.” Harry nodded proudly.

“Perfect.” Lois made another note on her clipboard, “Ralph?”

Ralph took a bite of his doughnut as he spoke, “I think we’re talking Column One here. Everything I’ve got says the mayor’s definitely having an affair with that call girl.”

Lois shook her head, “Sounds more like a tabloid page one to me, though.”

“Agreed, except for Hizzonor's pillow talk apparently spills the beans on some major corruption. I'm just waiting for my source to confirm it.” Ralph grinned with a confident nod.

Lois still wasn’t sure but nodded, “Great. Keep me posted.” She glanced toward the end of the table where Clark’s missing seat was and sighed, “I guess that’s it. Everyone get to work.”

The reporters gathered their things and headed out. Lois stared at the empty conference room for a minute then let out a long breath before heading back to her office. As she passed by Ralph and Annie, she heard them talking.

“Must be nice not to have to come to staff meetings.”

“Perks of sleeping with the boss I guess.”

She stopped mid-stride, turning to face them, “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.” They looked back and forth between one another. Neither saying a word. “Problem?”

“No,” Ralph said hurriedly, shaking his head.

“No, Ms. Lane,” Annie said looking away before they both disappeared.

“Uh-huh,” Lois said before slamming the door behind her.

On his way back into the newsroom, Clark spotted Jimmy coming out of the dark room. “Jimmy, can you do me a favor?”

Jimmy looked toward the blonde he’d told Clark about the day before. Darlene. He was afraid she’d turned into a fatal attraction vixen after a failed date attempt with him.

“Anything!” his young friend said eagerly.

Clark did his best not to react as the young man looked to him eagerly, ready for Clark’s request. “I want you to check and see if you can find the last outgoing numbers coming from Eric Press’ modem. There was a cyber attack that caused that lab explosion yesterday. I want to see if we can connect those to Eric Press.”

“You got it, CK.” Jimmy nodded.

“Also, check and see if you can find any bank activity on either Ethan Press or Eric Press within the last two days.”

“Ethan Press?” Jimmy asked.

“His brother,” Clark said flatly.

“Phone records and bank records. You got it.” Jimmy nodded, heading toward the elevator.

Clark sighed, watching his young friend frantically press the elevator button and avoid Darlene. He headed toward Lois’ office to catch her up on what was going on. He glanced at the time and sighed. It had taken him longer than he expected to finish up with Henderson. Then Superman had been needed to help divert a runaway train where the brakes had gone out. Hopefully, Lois’ day was going better than yesterday.

Lois sunk down in her chair as she stared at her soggy salad. Frustrated with its condition she threw it in the trash. It was quiet. The phone wasn’t ringing. No one was barging in her office. She could finally breathe.

Ralph kept hounding her about his story, and she still wasn’t sure about reserving page one for a story she suspected might sound like something from Tattletale Weekly rather than the Planet. She kept trying to do what she thought Perry may or may not do, but she was finding it harder and harder to make those calls.

A tap at her door and the warm smile of her husband pulled her out of her reverie. It was nearly two o’clock, and she hadn’t seen him all day. “Hey, how’d it go with Eric Press?” She asked. She really was itching to find out what had happened during his investigation. That was one drawback she’d noticed about this promotion. She was finding herself missing little things she’d been able to do as a reporter that she couldn’t do as an editor.

Clark took a chair and pulled it up next to her, “I found a possible lead I think. Eric Press’ brother, Ethan is also missing. Henderson has put out an APB out for both brothers. No one’s seen or heard from them since Friday.” He looked at her hesitantly.

“You think this Ethan kidnapped his own brother?” She asked.

“I don’t know. From what I’ve been able to find out about Ethan…I think this is more than just a kidnapping.” He explained hesitantly. “I took pictures of the wall at Ethan Press’ apartment when Henderson and his team went over there.”

Lois felt her skin crawl when he showed her the pictures. “Clark…” Tabloids and news headings of everything Lex had ever done stared back at her. She shivered as she felt the goosebumps rise on her skin. If this man was as obsessed with Lex as he seemed then Metropolis had a lot to be worried about.

“I’ve got Jimmy checking the phone records for Eric Press.” Clark explained, “The guy’s obsessed with Luthor which makes him…”

“Dangerous and deadly.” Lois nodded, “I know.”

“Do me a favor and don’t go jumping in feet first on anything…If he’s obsessed with Luthor the way, I think he is…” He reached for her hand and kissed it.

“There is no danger of that happening anytime soon. I can’t even get a break long enough to finish a salad let alone investigate a story.” She explained sadly.

“Well, there’s one perk of this job.” He grinned back at her.

“Haha.” She lightly smacked him on the arm.

Ralph knocked on the door, “Hey, no currying favor with the boss, Kent. Where you been? You missed the meeting this morning.”

“I was following a lead,” Clark said wearily.

“Again with the Superman stories. What do you got some special signal that tells you where he’s gonna be?” Ralph asked as he made himself comfortable in one of the chairs at her desk.

“Uh, what is it, Ralph?” Lois asked, trying to steer the conversation elsewhere.

“I’ve got a meeting with my guy in half an hour. You said I had to take a partner.” Ralph reminded her.

“Oh, right.” She’d forgotten. “Um, Annie?”

“She’s with Tom.” Ralph reminded her.

“What about Mitchell?” Lois couldn’t’ remember who she’d approved vacations on yesterday. Someone had asked for today off.

“Bermuda.” Ralph took a bite. “It’s fine. I can go by myself. I got this.” He puffed out his chest. She did her best not to laugh as Clark turned away suppressing his own laughter.

“No, if it’s as big as you say it is you’ll need help. How about….um, Clark?” She said the name before she even realized it.

“What??” Both men looked at her in surprise.

“Yes, you’ve got some free time while you wait for Jimmy to get that research on Eric Press back..." Lois pointed out.

"Okay, yes, but that doesn't mean..." Clark began to argue.

She shook her head, "So, you've got time. Ralph needs help on this.” She looked at him pleadingly hoping he wouldn’t be too mad about her partnering him up with the most annoying reporter employed at the Planet.

“Hey, I don’t need any help I…”

“Yes, you do.” Lois cut him off.

“I know I’m going to regret this,” Clark said, turning toward Ralph.

“Thank you.” She leaned over to give him a kiss on the cheek. “You’re a life saver.”

“What’s the story?” Clark asked.

“It’s a bit complicated to explain…” Ralph began.

“Mayor is supposedly sleeping with a call girl, and call girl is supposedly receiving inside information from the Mayor.” Lois summarized, seeing the annoyed expression on her husband’s face. He was talking about it, so at least he hadn’t shut the idea down completely.

Clark looked back at her with an ‘Are you serious?’ expression on his face. “Just give me a minute, and I’ll be there.” He said to Ralph. Ralph took another bite of his apple and nodded heading back toward the newsroom.

Really? You couldn’t think of anyone else to put him with?” He gave her an annoyed look.

“I know. I know he’s green and obnoxious, and I’m sorry, but… he may have stumbled on something here.”

“What about Jimmy? He’s looking for some investigative experience.” Clark reminded her.

“Be serious.” Lois threw him an annoyed look.

“I am.”

“He doesn’t have enough experience for something like this.”

“And you think…Ralph does?” Clark asked.

“Please,” She pleaded with him. “I can’t send him on something like this on his own. The Publisher will be all over me.”

“Fine. I’ll write up the update on the Press story and then baby-sit Ralph at his interview.” He rolled his eyes.

"Thank you." She smiled at him, leaning her head back wearily. “It’s not even three yet, and I’m already exhausted.”

“I’m sorry.” He gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. “Did you already have lunch?”

“I tried.” She chuckled, pointing at her trash can.

“You need to eat something, honey. You can’t run on fumes.” He reminded her.

“I know.” She sighed, “Believe me I know.”

Carly with her impeccable timing as always rushed into her office with the list of the itinerary for the next hour. “Ms. Lane, you have Copy Department on line two and Phil in Marketing is asking why you haven’t approved his request for an orthopedic chair…”

“I’ll send you the story in a few.” Clark said getting up then turned to Carly, “Make sure she eats something please.”

Carly gave her a pointed look and Lois sighed, “I got distracted.”

“I’ll call in an order,” Carly said, jotting down a note in her clipboard.

“Thanks, Clark.” Lois smiled at him.

“I’m still trying to figure out how I got talked into this,” Clark commented before giving her a grin. “You do realize this means you owe me…big time.”

Lois grinned, pulling out her calendar for him, “You find time in this monstrosity, and I’m all yours.”

“Ms. Lane? Copy?” Carly reminded her.

“Oh, tell ‘em to keep their pants on.” Lois sighed slightly annoyed. Carly nodded and stepped out to answer another call.

Clark grinned at her, then his face straightened up, “I thought we canceled the plans with my folks this week.”

Lois’ eyes widened. “I forgot to call them.”

He chuckled, “It's too late to cancel now. Maybe it won’t be too bad. We’ll just pick something up on the way home.”

“And disconnect the phone?”

“I would, but I don’t want Carly showing up at our house with that clipboard in the middle of the night.” He leaned in to kiss her once more. She watched him close the door behind him and sighed, staring at the blinking light on her phone.

“It never ends.” Lois said before reaching over to pick up the phone, “Hello... I mean, Lane here... No, I don't know what my lead is yet -- better prep the subway story as back up, okay? Thanks…Uh-huh---”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube