Rated PG-13

/ “text”/ indicates telepathic communication
*text* indicates bold
<text> indicates thoughts
{text} indicates over the telephone

Universal Locator designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
Universal Locator designation Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Alt 25 Shadow

Preeviously

Before they followed Harry and Cliff, The Shadow tuned his shortwave to the frequency used by the police and keyed his microphone. “I need to be connected to Commissioner Weston, immediately.”

The radio operator recognized the voice as that of The Shadow and said, “I’ll patch you through, immediately. He’s at The Savoy."

A few minutes later, the strains of Swing music came through the speaker and then Weston’s irritated voice, “This had better be important!”

At the Savoy, the unmistakable sound of The Shadow’s voice came from the earpiece, “Commissioner Weston, a gang was preparing to take the gold that is arriving tomorrow. They have been responsible for a number of recent robberies. You will find them on Long Island. Just follow the ambulances. A few hurt themselves when they tried to resist capture.”

“How will I be able to prove anything in court?”

“There is ample evidence in the house to prove their culpability.”

“How can I thank you?”

“No thanks are necessary, Commissioner. I’m just doing my part.”

“I also wanted to thank you for solving the Powers murders. This is the first we’ve heard from you since then.”

“I was unavailable for a while, but I’m back now.”

“I, for one, am glad you are. That wire recording you made of your interview with him will be used in court. He may be committed to a mental institution for the rest of his life rather than being executed. It seems like he really didn’t know what he was doing. It was all done under his brother’s influence and because of his mental problems resulting from his experiences in the war. Hearing dead people speak to him in the dark, poor man. It’s a shame.”

After breaking the connection, Lamont started the car and said, “We will take Tempus to Slade Farrow. He can keep him restrained and if necessary, sedated, until we decide what to do with him.

And now:

Chapter 23 –
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Shadow
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

After dropping Tempus off at Slade Farrow’s establishment The Shadow and faux Margot headed back to the penthouse. Faux Margot was overjoyed with the outcome of the evening’s adventure. Not only had they disrupted a criminal enterprise and turned the perps over to the police, but they had also discovered and captured Tempus. The cherry on top of that sundae was the recovery of the time window device that she had securely stashed in her bag. She was happy that she hadn’t removed her ski mask until they were in the car preferring that Tempus not know just who she was. All the way to the penthouse, she was holding the time window and examining it in the intermittent light of the street lamps as the passed under them. After driving into the underground garage faux Margot placed the time window, securely, back in her bag.

Once they were upstairs, Lamont replaced his cloak and hat in the cabinet while faux Margot excused herself to change clothes. When she returned to the sitting room, she was in pajamas and robe. At his quizzical look, she said, “I just figured I might as well stay here tonight. It is rather late to be returning home.”

He nodded in acquiescence. Then he asked, “What was that device you were examining so intently on the way back. You called it ‘your ticket home’.”

“The controls are unfamiliar, but it is future technology so it has to be what he used to bring me here.”

“How does it work?”

Uncertainty was in her voice as she said, “I’m not certain and I can’t afford to just start pushing buttons, randomly. There’s no telling what could happen.”

“It’s that dangerous?”

Frustration was obvious in her voice as she said, “It could be. Oh, I wish Herb was here. I’m sure he could show me how to operate it. At this point, I’d even welcome Andrus.”

With a chuckle, he replied, “Hearing that, from what you have told me, I know just how desperate you are. Maybe it would be best to sleep on it and make a decision in the morning.”

As she stood and headed for her room, she said, “You’re right. A good night’s sleep will be good. Then we can face this challenge clear headed and clear eyed. Good night, Lamont.”

“Good night, Margot or should I start calling you Lois again?”

She hesitated before closing the door and said, “Let’s hang on to Margot for a little longer. There’s no telling how long it will take to get my ticket punched.”

“Margot it is. Good night, Margot.”

She closed the door behind herself and simply stared at the bed. She was too keyed up to sleep. Crossing to her bag, she pulled the time window device from it and under the bedside lamp examined it. There were several rows of touch sensitive areas on the face above which was apparently a display. The display was dark since she had not provided any input. Her fingers hovered over the input areas, almost touching them, but her better sense won out and she refrained from touching any of them

Placing it on her bedside table she put the light out and lying down, pulled the covers up. She closed her eyes, but sleep eluded her. She kept opening her eyes and looking at the device. Resolutely, she closed her eyes again, determined that she would sleep, but after a very few minutes they were open again, irresistibly drawn to the Time Window device. Sighing resignedly, she slipped out front under the covers and turned the light back on. She muttered to herself, "This will never do. I need to sleep, but I won't be able to until I know what I am going to do."

A plan started to form in her mind and sitting on the edge of the bed, it opened like a flower bud opening to a magnificent rose. Once it was complete, with satisfaction, she replaced the device in her bag and lay down to sleep. Tomorrow she would put her plan into operation. She just hoped that Lamont would cooperate.

As a result of an almost sleepless night, earlier in the night, when she did fall asleep, it was a very deep sleep and she awoke to bright sunlight streaming in through the windows and the aroma of coffee.

She threw off the covers and as she slipped into a pair of mules she threw on a robe and headed for the sitting room. As she opened the door, she saw Lamont at the side table pouring coffee. She spoke up, “Could I have some of that, please?”

Looking over his shoulder and smiling, he said, “Coming right up.”

As he handed her a cup, he asked, “Well, have you decided what you are going to do?”

“I think I have. It could involve some play acting on your part, but I think it might just work.”

“Acting? I don’t think I’m much of an actor.”

“You’re just being modest. You act every day. Okay, I’m going to need some money. I have to buy some things.”

“After your first shopping trip, I set up some charge accounts at stores. Just tell them to put it on my bill.”

“Thanks, Lamont you’re a dear. Okay, here’s what I propose…” She went on to outline her plan.

That afternoon, faux Margot made some drawings and then went out with Shrevvy driving her. She first visited a custom embroidery shop. She had prepared a drawing of a very familiar symbol and asked that it be made. The shopkeeper was somewhat daunted by the complexity, but also the simplicity of the design. She asked, “Why do you need this?”

Her flip answer was, “Halloween is coming up and I need it for a costume.”

“That’s going to be some costume.”

As she exited the shop, faux Margot replied, “Yes, it is. I can’t wait to see it finished.”

The next stop was the tailor shop that catered to Lamont’s needs. When she approached the tailor, she asked, “Do you have a record of Lamont Cranston’s measurements?”

Skeptically, he asked, “You’re Margot Lane, aren’t you?”

Surprised at the question, she replied, “Why, yes, I am.”

Satisfied that she in fact could speak for Mr. Cranston, he asked, “What does Mr. Cranston need?”

“Lamont and I are going to a masquerade party and I need a costume prepared for Lamont.”

The tailor’s expression brightened as he smiled, “Ah, something out of the ordinary. It is so seldom that I get a chance to work on anything other than suits and shirts. What are you looking for?”

“What kind of material do you have that will stretch, but not stretch out? I really don’t know how to explain it. I want it to stretch so that it is skin tight, but I don’t want it to be baggy.”

“I think that will depend mostly on the weave rather than the material. I have some nice soft, cotton material that is stretchy and will remain form fitting, unless you get it wet, that is. Here, let me show you.” He stepped behind a counter and pulled a bolt of cloth from underneath.

She felt the cloth and tested the stretch. Satisfied with its stretchability she approved. "I will need that material dyed in some rather bright colors. Do you have a color palate?"

"Of course." He presented the color wheel to faux Margot.

He was surprised at the color selection, but made no comment going on the motto, 'The customer is always right.' After the color selection, he asked, "Can you give me an idea as to the design of the costume you want?"

She asked, "Do you have a sketch of a man?"

Pulling out a sketchbook, he quickly sketched a male form. Once he was finished he passed it over to her.

Taking a pencil, she colored in the sections and indicated the color choices. Then she said, "There will also be a cape like they used to wear years ago, but it should reach almost all the way to the floor. Oh, and there is one more thing. A pair of spats, but not the usual kind. They need to be calf high and cover the toe like an overshoe."

The tailor was skeptical as he looked at the completed sketch. "What is he going as? I've never seen anything like this before."

Faux Margot smiled a secret smile and replied, "I'm sure you haven't seen it before, but you may see it again sometime. How soon do you think you can have it finished?"

"Let's see, dying, cutting, sewing, fitting, resewing. As long as Mr. Cranston is available for the fittings – four or five days. While dying, I will preshrink the cloth."

"That is wonderful. That way he can try it before Halloween. Thank you."

"I'll call when we need a fitting."

Once the Suit had been sewn, Lamont called Slade and gave him his orders.

The next day, Lamont and faux Margot drove to Slade Farrow's establishment.

When they arrived, Lamont was dressed in one of his double breasted suits while faux Margot was dressed in a navy, mid-calf length skirt with a matching jacket, pale blue silk top, a pale blue pillbox hat with a short veil and black pumps.

Under Lamont's orders, Tempus had been kept sedated to this point, only enough that he was docile, but not unconscious. In that way, he was able to feed himself and could maintain himself naturally. He was kept in a state of near drunkenness.

Just before they arrived, Tempus had been given his meal and it had been spiked with a drug. Once he had finished eating, he had been moved to the 'interview' room.

Lamont donned his cloak and hat before they entered the room and kept his head positioned so that the brim prevented Tempus from seeing his face.

As they entered the room, Tempus challenged, "Where am I? What have you done with my belongings?"

The sepulchral tones of the Shadow answered him, " HAhshahahahaha , you are in the hands of The Shadow."

Tempus was stricken. He recognized that laugh from hearing it on the radio. He splattered out, "But, he isn't real! He's just a voice on the radio."

"Oh, I am real all right.” He faded from view right there in front of Tempus. When he spoke again it was like the voice was emanating from the empty air. “I disrupted your nefarious plot and now you are my prisoner, a prisoner of The Shadow. Most of my prisoners are never heard from again."

"What did you do with my personal belongings?"

The Shadow pulled the Desert Eagle from under his cloak and displayed it. As it came into the open it popped into Tempus’s view. "I have taken your weapon. It is very pretty for something so deadly. It will be added to my collection."

"Fine! Keep the gun. It's not important. There was something else. A small box."

Faux Margot stepped forward and delving into her bag, pulled the time window device out and displayed it.

Tempus had not really seen her, his attention had been focused on The Shadow to this point, but when he saw her there was instant recognition, "Lois!!"

"Lois? Who's Lois?"

In a bitter tone, he replied, "You are. You can't fool me! You're Lois Lane!"

In an indignant tone, she replied, "I beg your pardon, my name is not Lois! It is Margot, Margot Lane."

Tempus started to lunge for the device, but Lamont had been ready for him and Tempus had only moved inches when he hit the invisible barrier that was The Shadow who kept him from touching it.

The Shadow challenged, "Why is this little box so important?"

Tempus growled, "I won't tell you."

The Shadow replied, "You don't need to. Just as The Shadow can cloud your mind so that he becomes invisible, he can also read your mind and I can see in your mind that it is your means of escape. Escape not only from me and the police, but from this time and space.”

Tempus was shocked and it was reflected in his expression. Could this guy really read minds?

That was when Slade entered the room and with the Shadow's help administered a shot that would put Tempus out, briefly.

They laid him on a bed to sleep it off. Meanwhile, Lamont and faux Margot changed clothes, Lamont into the costume that had been prepared and faux Margot into the sharp business ensemble she had worn the day she had arrived as Lois Lane. Lois pulled her air back and pinned it so that as long as she was looking straight at Tempus, he would think it was short.

When Tempus awoke he was confronted by 'Superman' and Lois Lane.

Lois spoke up, "It's about time you woke up from your nap, Tempus. We still have some questions for you to answer…”

Tempus was confused and interrupted her, “Where am I? Who are you? Are you Margot Lane?”

With a chuckle, Lois asked, “Have you lost your mind, Tempus? Who is Margot Lane? You know very well who I am, Lois Lane. Pretending that you are crazy won’t get you out of this. We caught you this time and you aren’t getting away.”

“But where are The Shadow and Margot Lane?”

“Who?”

“The Shadow, he’s the one that caught me.”

“Like I said, pleading insanity won’t get you off. There are shadows all over, but they didn’t catch you, Superman did.”

“No! I mean, it was The Shadow that caught me. He was invisible!”

“The only thing invisible around here is your attempt to get off by pleading insanity. It isn’t going to work.”

In a quandary, Tempus asked, “How did I get here?”

“Superman swooped in and grabbed me, preventing me from falling through that time window and grabbed you. You did bump your head at that time. You have been complaining of headaches. You’ve been raving in your sleep.”

“That can’t be! You went through. I got away. I went to the same alternate universe and created a gang, the start of a crime syndicate. I was going to steal a lot of gold…”

He stopped because Lois and Superman were both laughing at him.

Frustrated and angry, he shouted, “Why are you laughing?!”

“You’ve been right here the entire time. You haven’t been out of our sight!”

Disheartened, he moaned, “I dreamed the entire thing?”

“Yes. We have your time window device. We want to use it to call Herb. We want to have him pick you up so that you can be given the care that you need. I know there must be a way; I just don’t know what it is.”

“I’ll never tell you. If I do, he’ll come and pick me up and I might not be able to get away again,” but even as he was saying this, the code popped into his mind and Lamont read it like reading a book.

Lois looked at ‘Superman’ and asked, “Did you get it?”

“Yes, I did. It is a combination that sends out a homing signal. Very simple, you hold down the top left key for three seconds, then the key next to it for three seconds, then the first key again for three seconds.”

Astounded, Tempus blurted out, “How did you do that? You can’t read minds!”

“You are quite correct, Superman cannot read minds, but The Shadow can, Hahahahahaha.”

That was when Tempus took a very close look at the blue and red costume, and through the drug induced haze noted the slight differences and realized that he had been duped.

At a signal, Slade came in and administered a sedative. They laid Tempus down on the cot and left.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 07/19/17 07:56 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj