Title: Into The Fire

By: CRene

Rating: PG13

Summary: Lois starts to think about her future with Clark as a stranger in Metropolis begins to fight for Lois’ attention. This is set in early Season Three of the show.

Disclaimer: Lois & Clark and other characters belong to DC Comics and their respected companies. I am just borrowing them for our enjoyment.
~*~*~*~*~
1/5
“There is nothing in these bank statements,” Lois said before throwing the papers down on the coffee table in front of her. She moved her head around in circles trying to get the knot out of her neck and shoulders that had come from kneeling over for an hour. When she realized she couldn’t fix either problem she put her head back against the couch and closed her eyes.

“I don’t know why you didn’t have me look through those,” Clark commented putting a can of soda down on the table then sitting on the couch next to her. “Come here.”

She opened her eyes, moved closer to him and turned so her back was towards him. Lois suddenly felt his magic hands on her shoulders trying to massage the knots out of her.

“I didn’t have you look through those because I had to do research years before you came into my life and I won’t stop because you have the ability to look through thousands of pages in seconds. Or it could be I did this because I saved the heavy lifting for you,” Lois explained pointing over to the kitchen where the counter was filled with clean dishes Clark had just washed.

“I could have done both,” he murmured before moving the collar of her shirt down her shoulder a bit to kiss her bare shoulder, “and still had time to do this.”

“I like how you think.”

Lois turned around to look at him stopping his trail of kisses. She put the palm of her hands on his face and pulled him to her – no small feat considering who he was. As she kissed him with all of her might he leaned into her. She moved over a bit on the couch without breaking the kiss and soon he was on top of her on the couch. Her hands wrapped around his neck as his hands found his way to the bottom of her red sweater. His hand found its way under her sweater feeling his way up her abdomen. She sighed in his mouth at the feel of his hands on her and she tilted her hips towards him wanting more. Suddenly his hands stopped in place and his lips stopped kissing her. He looked towards the bedroom at something that she couldn’t see and she knew instantly that their make out session was halted.

“I’m sorry, Lois,” Clark whispered brushing his lips swiftly on hers. “I have to go.”

“Superman calls,” Lois muttered as Clark got up from the couch and spun into his suit.

“I will be back as soon as I can, then we can continue where we left off,” Clark said kissing her quickly then flying away.

She sat up and shook her head on how fast they could go from one hundred to zero in an instant. Sometimes Lois wondered if this would be what married life with Clark would be like – needing a cold shower when Superman was needed somewhere else.

Fifteen minutes later Lois got out of Clark’s shower and put on a pair of Clark’s boxers and one of his t-shirts. The shower didn’t make her feel any better, the ache was still in the pit of her stomach and her mind kept wandering back to life as Superman’s wife. Would they even have time for children? Did she even want children? Did he? There were so many things Lois and Clark never talked about before getting engaged. She loved him more than she had loved anyone before and she trusted him just as much. They had things to talk about when he got back, but now she had research to finish before her interview in the morning.

It felt like he had been gone for hours as he flew onto his terrace. He didn’t want to leave Lois earlier especially since they were being so intimate with each other; just the feel of Lois underneath him had made him want to forget his other duties, yet he knew there was a crisis that only Superman could help with. He walked into his apartment noticing that the living room light was still on. As he walked through the apartment he changed at super speed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and found Lois asleep on his couch. Just the image of the woman he loved made him feel even more powerful than he already was. The man of steel could bend steel with his bare hands and yet the one thing that made him weak and powerful at the same time was this woman. He walked over to her and picked her up in his arms as careful not to wake her up and took her to his bed. Clark covered her up with one of his blankets, then turned off the lights through the apartment and crawled next to her.

“I can’t believe I’m late,” Lois stated as she finished putting on her heel walking through her apartment. “Why didn’t you wake me up when you got home this morning?”

“Lois, I told you, it was four in the morning, I wasn’t going to let you go home-,” Clark began to reply.

“You weren’t going to let me! Clark, I am a big girl and I have been driving around this city for most of my life in the middle of the night.”

“That’s not what I meant. I know you are a grown woman who can handle herself. I guess it more had to do with how peaceful you looked sleeping on my couch that I didn’t want to disturb you; yet I thought you would be more comfortable in bed. What was the harm of having you sleep over?”
“Well first off, I’m late. If you had woken me up I would have had time to come back here and shower and get ready without rushing. I have that interview with that billionaire in forty-five minutes at Pierre’s and I wanted to go to the Planet first. Now I don’t have time to get my notes together or go to the Planet.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t wake you, but if you want I can have Superman fly you to the Planet so you don’t have to deal with the traffic,” Clark suggested. “That can save you about fifteen minutes.”

Lois grabbed her purse and led Clark to the door of her apartment. She knew that he had only her best interest at heart, but her mind was still on last night. She didn’t have time to talk to Clark about their relationship. Talking about their future just wasn’t something they did often they just took it a day at a time since she found out his big secret.

“I’m sorry, Clark for snapping,” Lois stated. “You think if Superman isn’t busy tonight, we can sit and talk.”

“Of course, Lois, whatever you want,” Clark replied kissing his fiancé after Lois shut and locked her apartment door. “I am really sorry I had to go last night, you do know that if I could I would had rather have continued what we were doing.”

“I know you wanted to continue what we were doing, but Superman was needed in Haiti,” she commented putting her arm through his walking down the hallway together.

Suddenly Clark stopped walking and looked away from Lois. He unlinked their arms and she stood there shaking her head realizing that she was likely on her own getting to work.

“I’m sorry, Lois – bank robbery on 2nd and Heathcliff. I have to go,” Clark said. “I will catch you at the Planet later.”

Seconds later without a kiss goodbye or an ‘I love you’ he was gone. Lois didn’t have time to ponder why he rushed off so much like she had a few months ago. Now she knew why he disappeared as soon as things got serious between them, but it didn’t mean she had to always like it. Lois didn’t have time to think about her relationship with Clark because she was already running late this morning and now her ride to the Planet went off saving the world.

An hour later, Lois sat across from a dark-haired billionaire bachelor who wanted to acquire some businesses in Metropolis.

“Once again, I am so sorry I am late, Mr. Wayne,” Lois apologized taking a sip of her water.

“Not a problem, Miss Lane. I know you are a busy reporter who tends to have many exclusives around Metropolis. Thank you, for agreeing to meet me this morning,” the man stated.

“Mr. Wayne, you inherited Wayne Enterprises from your father, who passed away when you were young. You spent years living the bachelor lifestyle, what made you decide to join the business now?”

“Both of my parents were murdered, Miss Lane, they didn’t just pass away. Wayne Enterprises has employed hundreds of people throughout the years and donated millions of dollars to charity. I finally caught a glimpse of what is important.”

“What is that, Mr. Wayne?”

“Please, call me, Bruce,” he asked. “No one is immune to violence I had to learn that the hard way. Now I want to make sure that others see that. You live in Metropolis and work for the Daily Planet; you see it and write about it daily. You have Superman here and still crime occurs, not every city has a super hero.”

“Superman doesn’t belong just to Metropolis; he helps all over the world. And from what I have read, Gotham City has its own super hero, someone that dresses up as a bat and helps fight crime.”

“He is no Superman though. Superman is from another Planet and this bat character isn’t. He isn’t trying to save the world, just help when he is needed.”

“Let’s get back to the topic at hand, and not compare Superman to this bat character,” Lois said.

“Why not compare the two? Do you think this bat character has a secret identity like Superman?”

“Who says Superman has a secret identity?”

“He has to Miss Lane; he can’t spend his entire life saving everyone all the time. He would get burned out and what type of life would that be.”

“What bought you to Metropolis, Mr. Wayne,” Lois asked trying to go back to why she was interviewing the billionaire. She couldn’t talk about Clark with anyone let alone a stranger especially about why he needed to keep his identity a secret. As Clark told her a couple of times in the past; Clark is who he was; Superman is what he could do. Lois thought she was in love with Superman for over a year, but now she knew what love was. It was what she felt with Clark. Now she knew why Clark talked about himself in third person; it was confusing enough even in her own head.

“Lex Luthor,” he answered bringing her back to the present moment.

“Lex is in prison where he belongs and Superman will make sure it stays that way,” Lois explained. “And you can’t use me to get to Superman or Lex, it’s been done.”

“No, Ms. Lane, you are getting the wrong idea. I don’t want to take over Luthor’s illegal businesses. I want to take over the legal businesses he had, such as LNN. I want to buy them and turn them in for profit and to show Metropolis that a rich and powerful man can be a positive thing.

“Many people have said that about this city, but have had an ulterior motive.”

“Not me, Miss Lane. My reputation in Gotham City should show that I mean no harm to the city of Metropolis,” he explained.

"Actions speak louder than words," Lois stated thinking back to the past 24 hours. She wasn't only thinking of Mr. Wayne, but her relationship with Clark and his inability to sit and have a conversation with her for more than five minutes. Lately it seems like they were either working on a case or he was out saving someone's life. The few minutes they did have of privacy they were either making out like horny teenagers or fighting. She knew it needed to stop; if they were going to concentrate on their relationship they needed to talk.

"Ms. Lane, believe me, every one of my actions speak volumes," Bruce replied as he looked at the beautiful woman. He did his research on the ace reporter and knew that having her interview him was better than having the team of Lane and Kent. He could see why Lex Luthor and Clark Kent were so infatuated with the dark-haired beauty. She wasn't only stunning, but from what he had heard she was tenacious, loyal, honorable, and prestigious journalist who had almost married a psychopath. She may not have the best track record in her personal life but when it came to her professional life she was the first class. Bruce Wayne was going to take full advantage of both track records and using it to get what he wanted most. Revenge.

Last edited by CarrieRene; 07/18/17 07:26 AM.