Print Thread
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Comments?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I enjoy these little glimpses into Lois's past. I love her in the supportive friend role, helping Star (and I'm seriously hating how the girls are being treated like labrats). I have a feeling that Lois isn't going to stick around for that much longer.

But back to the present:

Lois set a bowl of freshly popped popcorn on the coffee table next to a stack of card and board games. That first night Clark had come to her apartment had gone better than she could have hoped for given the rough beginning they had had. Now, Clark was coming over tonight to work on the murder investigation by fleshing out their backstory. They had agreed to share more information about themselves, both to make their cover believable and also in an effort to get to know one another.

Hmmm. I have a suggestion for how they could get to know one another better. blush What? I was totally thinking board games, too.

“Interesting. Feeling like losing a few games to a master, huh?”

“Pff! As if!” Lois bumped his arm with her shoulder. “You never said that super-slamming was one of your powers. You have no idea who you’re talking to here.”

Aww, they are getting to be friends! I love that.

“Well, you’ve probably heard the rumors about Claude. He was a foreign correspondent at the Planet. He was French and had this accent. Mmm! Anyway, he kind of took me under his wing and started to mentor me. I loved the attention and I learned some things from him, but it ended the night he tried to seduce me for my story notes.” Lois chuckled morosely. “I probably should have let him have them. They were my notes on the Congolese gunrunning story.”

I like that this Lois figured out what Claude was up to before she woke up that next morning. And yeah, maybe she should have handed those notes right over to him! Would've saved her a bit of trouble!

And so Lois is a very patient woman in this universe, huh? I love how you keep some things the same and then surprise me by reversing some things from the way we know them. Keeps me interested as a reader!

I enjoyed their little question/answer session, especially since you intertwined more serious questions with lighter ones. Interesting to hear how Lois escaped and her motivation for bringing Luthor down. They are discovering lots about each other.

Are we going to get to see more of their game night? Or it is onto bigger and better things in the next part? Looking forward to it!

Tracey smile

BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Tracey. Thank you so much for your comments. It's good to know that the flashback scenes are working, as well as the differences to Lois's character. As for whether she sticks around long, all I will say is ... RAFO.
Hmmm. I have a suggestion for how they could get to know one another better. blush What? I was totally thinking board games, too.
LOL! lol
I love how you keep some things the same and then surprise me by reversing some things from the way we know them. Keeps me interested as a reader!
Thanks for that feedback. Intention doesn't always meet expectation, so it's nice to know that these twists are working for the reader.
Are we going to get to see more of their game night? Or it is onto bigger and better things in the next part? Looking forward to it!
You'll have to let me know if what comes next is either bigger or better. Next part coming up right away.

Kerth
Kerth
*giggles at drunk lois and star* Off to a good start already.

Lois turned to go back into her kitchen to grab a cream soda when a knock directly behind her on her third-story, living room window caused her to shriek and jump in fright. She turned, a hand over her chest, to see Clark hovering just outside the glass in full Superman glory, a smirk of amusement on his face

Yikes! That would be weird, considering she was expecting Clark and they aren't all that close yet

Okay, so maybe the Superman suit wasn’t the most enticing outfit he owned. Lois licked her lips as her eyes got stuck on his biceps as he slipped his glasses onto his face.
drool Lois is correct on that point. Biceps for *days*.

“Lois, I grew up in Kansas. Card games were our version of clubbing.”
lol Vouching for this, because I have a lot of family in Missouri and Kansas (although some cousins in KC, MO do say there's more night life there now, I doubt there was in Clark's time). Also I love the little bit of attitude Clark has about this, the confidence. It's funny and attractive.

“Wow. So you’re a v … very patient woman.”

“I guess you could say that. It’s just that I take sex seriously and the first time… when I do cross the intimacy threshold, I don’t want to just do it, I want to make love.”

“That’s beautiful, Lois. Just so you know, I wanted to be sure, too. I waited for a long time, but …”

“Lana.”
I love the flip on this as well. Lois being the patient one, and that she expected him and Lana to have been intimate. It's not mentioned much in fics or in canon (obviously) but it makes sense that he and Lana would have been closer in the Alt-U.

Lois slid down to the floor and pulled the popcorn with her. She avoided Clark’s gaze and started dealing until he lifted the coffee table and moved it aside.

As one does. lol

Lois grinned. “I told you, Clark. I’m psychic.”

“And I have x-ray vision; trust has to start somewhere, Lois. I don’t think you cheated. Tell me, how did you know?”
shock WHa-wha-whaT?? shock He really knows already? Did I skip something? At first I thought it was Lois joking and pulling his leg, but on second read-through, he definitely knows. Was that in his research on her? Did he figure it out on his own? I like the little bit of mystery, but I'm also interested in knowing more about how he figured it out, or even how much he figured out. (I'm guessing he hasn't connected the dots on Lois being in his head sometimes.)

I’ve never met a more despicable person than Lex Luthor.

Truth! Also, sidebar, curious to see if Luthor is out of the picture for good on this one. Is he just in prison? Or dead? Or is he potential sequel material? (whoops, didn't mean to jump that far ahead, brain just does that. I'll be patient and keep reading.)

wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Mouserocks! Thanks for your comments.
Yikes! That would be weird, considering she was expecting Clark and they aren't all that close yet
Even though everyone knows Clark is Superman, I wanted to show that sometimes it could be forgotten. And I could totally see Clark knocking loudly to startle Lois because it's fun. One of the perks of not having to hide his abilities. laugh
Vouching for this, because I have a lot of family in Missouri and Kansas (although some cousins in KC, MO do say there's more night life there now, I doubt there was in Clark's time). Also I love the little bit of attitude Clark has about this, the confidence. It's funny and attractive.
I can vouch for it, too. I may have grown up a little more west of Kansas, but at least in our family and neighborhood, this is how we spent our time with friends. Or movies.
I love the flip on this as well. Lois being the patient one, and that she expected him and Lana to have been intimate. It's not mentioned much in fics or in canon (obviously) but it makes sense that he and Lana would have been closer in the Alt-U.
There will be a little more from Lois about this in a future chapter. I'm glad that this flip wasn't too OOC.
shock WHa-wha-whaT?? shock He really knows already? Did I skip something? At first I thought it was Lois joking and pulling his leg, but on second read-through, he definitely knows. Was that in his research on her? Did he figure it out on his own? I like the little bit of mystery, but I'm also interested in knowing more about how he figured it out, or even how much he figured out. (I'm guessing he hasn't connected the dots on Lois being in his head sometimes.)
There is more on this later. Hang in there.
Truth! Also, sidebar, curious to see if Luthor is out of the picture for good on this one. Is he just in prison? Or dead? Or is he potential sequel material?
Hmm. So many questions that I haven't answered yet. Please keep reading. Hopefully, all will become clear.

Features Writer
Features Writer
The flashbacks have really grown on me, and it's great seeing Lois's past through them.

Originally Posted by BJ
Star nodded and then scrunched her eyes closed against new tears. “I hate him, Lois. He’s the vilest person I’ve ever met. What gives him the right to treat us like this?”

Lois stroked her hair again. “I don’t know, Star. I tell you what, though. I’m not going to let him do this to you. Tomorrow I’m going to find out what we can do to end this. Tonight, though, it’s my job to figure out a way to cheer you up."

Although I hate the torture these girls are enduring, I love Lois's reaction. Seeing the origin of Mad Dog Lane puts a different spin on her tenacity. It really puts her fighting for the underdog (no pun intended) front and center, with accolades and awards taking a second to giving a voice to the voiceless and righting wrongs. Even if her public persona says differently.

Originally Posted by BJ
Star giggled. “Yeah. Do you think I can call in sick for school and testing tomorrow?”

“Absolutely! But only if you can barf all over my dad’s dress shoes.”

Perfect answer!! notworthy rotflol

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois turned to go back into her kitchen to grab a cream soda when a knock directly behind her on her third-story, living room window caused her to shriek and jump in fright. She turned, a hand over her chest, to see Clark hovering just outside the glass in full Superman glory, a smirk of amusement on his face.

Great to see the fun side of Clark so often missing in Alt-Clark's sad life. And catching this Lois with her psychic abilities by surprise is priceless!

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois bent down to unlock the window and then lifted the pane up. Her intended scolding froze in her throat as she got a close-up look at Clark in his Superman outfit. Lois swallowed to try to moisten her suddenly dry mouth as her gaze drifted down Clark’s body suspended a few feet away. He had the most amazing physique and the spandex showed off every muscled contour to perfection.

What a wonderful description! clap

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois shrugged. “Incentive. I’ve always felt that games are great for get-to-know-you gatherings. I thought it might take the heat off a little. A little competition doesn’t hurt, either. How about winner gets to ask the questions, loser has to answer. No hedging, only truth.”

“Interesting. Feeling like losing a few games to a master, huh?”

“Pff! As if!” Lois bumped his arm with her shoulder. “You never said that super-slamming was one of your powers. You have no idea who you’re talking to here.”

“Lois, I grew up in Kansas. Card games were our version of clubbing.”

Love this interaction!

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois grinned. “I told you, Clark. I’m psychic.”

“And I have x-ray vision; trust has to start somewhere, Lois. I don’t think you cheated. Tell me, how did you know?”

“No way am I going to give away your tells! It took me three games to learn them.”

Interesting twist. Love how she tells Clark she's psychic, and he completely misses it as a confession. Nice parallel to Canon Lois not recognizing Clark and Superman as the same person.

Originally Posted by BJ
They sat together in silence for a moment until Lois left his embrace to get a tissue from the coffee table. When she turned back toward Clark, he held up another game. “Gin Rummi?”

Lois hiccuped a laugh.

Clark's gentle handling of Lois and her emotions is delightful. clap

Loved this chapter! And there's another chapter to enjoy. dance

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Merriwether
Merriwether
Cuidadora wrote:

Interesting twist. Love how she tells Clark she's psychic, and he completely misses it as a confession. Nice parallel to Canon Lois not recognizing Clark and Superman as the same person.
This was one of my favorite parts, too, that Lois answers him honestly about being psychic (more than once!), but he assumes (as everyone would/does!) that she's just kidding around. And he can't even say she outright lied to him when the truth comes out because she really didn't. lol I thought that was pretty clever. smile

Last edited by KathyB; 07/19/17 04:20 PM.
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi cuidadora! Thank you for the lovely feedback. It's good to see what's working about the flashbacks and Alt-Lois's early life. Even in canon universe, we don't get a lot of background on Lois.
Love how she tells Clark she's psychic, and he completely misses it as a confession. Nice parallel to Canon Lois not recognizing Clark and Superman as the same person.
I'm glad this worked for you. It was a lot of fun to parallel Clark's aborted efforts to tell Lois in the series.
Clark's gentle handling of Lois and her emotions is delightful.
Aww, thanks. After all, for all his power, he does have a gentle heart.

KathyB! Thanks for providing feedback.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard