Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Chapter 3 is here.

FYI - I'd like to get the whole story posted within the next couple of weeks, so I'll probably post a new part every day or so. I'd still love to hear what you think, though. The comments so far have already improved the story.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
So.

The first meeting with Clark didn't go as she'd planned, so Lois has her spikes out for him. (Like this:) And instead of Clark asking her why she seems so hostile toward him, or just smiling and asking her to touch base with him later, he tries to ignore her (which has no chance of working) and gets a thorn in his paw for his trouble. How will Perry defuse this situation? How honest will each of them be? If Lois tells Clark that she can sense his strongest emotions, will he be relieved, puzzled, shocked, or threatened?

BJ, when I first started reading this, I thought you'd dropped a chapter or two after your second post because so much seemed to be missing between Lois' return and the party scene. Now, though, I see that how she took down Luthor is less important than the fact that she did it. This is about two accomplished reporters learning to coexist at the Daily Planet as much as it is about two lonely people eventually finding each other.

Random thought: Will either Lois or Clark include their attention-grabbing argument in their stories? Because it's a pretty sure bet that every other news outlet will mention it, assuming they don't lead with it.

Keep it coming, please! I want to find out how you resolve this quandary without having Clark drop Lois into an abandoned gravel quarry somewhere in Arizona.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
Yay!! New parts sooner! (Even if I'm slow at getting to them)

She had always thought he could sense her, too, sometimes he even responded to her. It happened infrequently now.
Oh. Poor Lois, so alone.

Her heart ached and her own tears started to fall when Clark started to cry, calling for his mama. Lois missed Clark’s parents almost as much as he did, since many of the lessons they had taught and the love they’d shown had been inadvertently shared with Lois.
mecry mecry mecry Poor Lois and poor Clark. This little vignette is breaking my heart.

Clark felt the sharpened attention of the reporters immediately around them. It was a well-known rule in the press corps that Clark should only be addressed as Superman when wearing the suit, but apparently they also knew Lois Lane’s indifference for rules and were electrified to see what would happen next.
Ooh. I love this dynamic of Lois knowing he's Superman going in. Of course she would rib him like this. How else is she supposed to get an interview with Superman?

Clark huffed in anger. Who was this woman to question his dedication? “That’s quite a double standard you’ve got going there, Ms. Lane. Weren’t you gone for a lot longer than four months?”
clap Love that Clark can give as good as he gets! Also the back and forth you've built up here is riveting. Great dialogue.

Clark and Lois both placed their hands over their ears and looked up to see Perry White glaring down at them. Perry handed the bullhorn back to the Chief of Police and asked softly, “Are you two finished?”
clap Yes!! One point for Perry.

“I want to see you in my office right after you call in your stories. Comprende?”
Busted! lol Can't wait for the next chapter! You've got me on the edge of my seat to see how this all gets resolved!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Loved this part, BJ - my favorite so far. Here's why:

Excited, Lois concentrated on the memory, focusing on Clark’s feelings when his mother wrapped him in a hug. She saw his father’s face in her mind and tried to feel again the peace and safety his image generated. Immediately, she felt Clark relax as his thoughts turned to his dad’s advice. Carefully he sat up, raised his hand to eye level, and took a deep breath before slowly opening his eyes. It took him a couple of tries, but he was able to refocus his gaze on his hand. He let out a breath of relief.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

So much that I had never thought about in terms of Alt-Clark... how tough and scary it must have been for him to have to go through the discovery of his powers, for the most part, without his parents. Remember how I said that I wasn't sure about Lois's special gift? Well, now I love that you gave that to her. And that she used it to help Clark as he was growing up. It gives them that same destined-to-be, mythical magic that our Lois and Clark have and makes me want to root for them. I'm caring about them as much as I love our Lois and Clark, and that's different for me! In the show, I always thought the Alt-Clark eps were good, but I always focused on our Lois and Clark and how the events and situations in the eps affected them. I never gave much thought beyond, 'oh, that'd be nice if HG Wells helped Alt-Clark find his Lois.' So the fact that I'm into this story is a testament to your writing and story-telling ability!

This part was my favorite, though:

“Right,” Lois replied flatly. “You were helping the other … world. So, what is important enough to draw you away from this world? Natural disaster? Civil unrest? Kittens stuck in trees?”

Clark pinched his lips together as the listening reporters focused to hear his answer to her glib question. “It was personal,” he responded. “…and none of your business.”

I can't quote the whole section, but their conversation (should we even call it that? haha. Argument? Encounter?) was really fun. Spot on, vintage Lois and Clark. I love that in any universe, she is the one person that can get under his skin and make him lose his head a little. They bring out a passion in each other... things always get a little heated. Looking forward to the moment when they discover that heat in a different way wink

Great part!

Tracey smile

BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Terry! It was such a pleasure to hear from you. I rotflol at the 'spikes' clip. Yes, Lois in any universe has a tendency to go on the defensive when she's hurt.
I thought you'd dropped a chapter or two after your second post because so much seemed to be missing between Lois' return and the party scene. Now, though, I see that how she took down Luthor is less important than the fact that she did it.
Unfortunately, this is partially a consequence of the story's size (I tried to keep it from going epic) and partially a consequence of the structure. Some of your questions will be answered as the story progresses and some I decided to leave off-screen in order to finish the story. Please do continue to point out these jarring moments when I really shouldn't skip, but flesh the story out.
This is about two accomplished reporters learning to coexist at the Daily Planet as much as it is about two lonely people eventually finding each other.
They will definitely have their ups and downs. Hang in there.
Will either Lois or Clark include their attention-grabbing argument in their stories?
I alluded to it, but didn't spell it out. I've already adjusted future parts to (hopefully) make it clear. Thanks for the question!
I want to find out how you resolve this quandary without having Clark drop Lois into an abandoned gravel quarry somewhere in Arizona.
Oh my goodness! Can I steal this and put it in the story? notworthy

Hi Mouserocks! Thank you for commenting on this part
This little vignette is breaking my heart.
I'm sorry. And I'm not. I'm glad the emotions spoke to you.
Love that Clark can give as good as he gets! Also the back and forth you've built up here is riveting. Great dialogue.
Yes! I'm glad that their argument was true to form and that it was captivating. Clark giving back was essential - the fact that Lois was a match for a man with superpowers was a big draw for me in the series. In this story, I wanted Clark to be Lois's equal, too. Lois has to see that he can't be railroaded or cowed.
You've got me on the edge of my seat to see how this all gets resolved!
Excellent! evil

Traceylynn Thank you so much for your encouraging comments.
I had never thought about in terms of Alt-Clark... how tough and scary it must have been for him to have to go through the discovery of his powers, for the most part, without his parents. Remember how I said that I wasn't sure about Lois's special gift? Well, now I love that you gave that to her.
Alt-Clark has always had a special place in my heart for this very reason. I'm very protective of children and it always hurt that he had to deal with such major challenges by himself. So what's a girl to do? Give him Lois, of course!
It gives them that same destined-to-be, mythical magic that our Lois and Clark have and makes me want to root for them. I'm caring about them as much as I love our Lois and Clark, and that's different for me! In the show, I always thought the Alt-Clark eps were good, but I always focused on our Lois and Clark and how the events and situations in the eps affected them. I never gave much thought beyond, 'oh, that'd be nice if HG Wells helped Alt-Clark find his Lois.' So the fact that I'm into this story is a testament to your writing and story-telling ability!
There is no better compliment to a writer than this. Thank you.
I love that in any universe, she is the one person that can get under his skin and make him lose his head a little. They bring out a passion in each other... things always get a little heated.
Yes, she is the one that can make him lose control and he does the same to her. Stay tuned. Next part is coming up.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard