Chapter 13

Feigning unconsciousness, Clark forced himself to remain limp as they tossed him into the alley. He waited until he heard the car doors slamming shut before sitting up gingerly. He pulled himself to his feet, wincing as the broken ends of his collarbone grated together. His torso felt like it had been pulped.

Luthor’s thugs had picked him up in the early hours of the morning, just after he’d finally gone home after patrolling the city. Only this time it hadn’t been the prelude to another diversion.

It had been a warning.

Somehow Luthor had found out the Clark had talked to Henderson. Which meant it was only a matter of time now before Luthor leaked his secret to the world.

He’d lost.

Luthor was still out there, ruling the shadowy underbelly of Metropolis. And any chance he, Clark, had of leading a normal life was about to evaporate.

There was only one thing he could do now. Confide in his friends and ask for their help. He may never get the normal life he’d wanted for as long as he could remember. But he could at least make sure Lex Luthor wasn’t lurking in the shadows.

Shakily, Clark leant against the wall, letting the worst of the pain subside before picking his way through the garbage in the alleyway. Reaching the street, he flagged down a passing taxi and gave the cabbie the Daily Planet's address.

This early in the morning, the newsroom wasn't the hive of activity it would be later in the day. For this, Clark was grateful. Between his broken collarbone and the bruising to his torso, he had to hunch over slightly to move around, and he knew he'd be an object of speculation to any of his co-workers who saw him like this. The fewer people in the newsroom, the better.

Mindful of the fact that many of the phones at the Planet were being tapped, he stopped by Jimmy’s desk first. The young aspiring photographer was still yawning over his first cup of coffee for the day.
“Jimmy.”
“Hey CK,” he answered sleepily before looking up. “You’re in- CK, what happened to you?”
“Can I use your phone?”
“Uh, sure. CK, are you-“
“I’m fine, Jimmy. The phone?” Clark looked down pointedly.
Jimmy fumbled at the handset, knocking it off the hook. Clark bent instinctively, unable to suppress a groan, then waved off Jimmy’s attempt to help him.
“I’m fine, Jimmy. Really. Could you… go find Jack and meet me in the conference room? There’s something I want to talk to you about.”
“Sure thing, CK.” Jimmy backed off, giving Clark a quizzical look as he went in search of the Planet’s newest copyboy.

Clark hitched one hip onto Jimmy’s desk and dialled the number from memory. Hearing his mother’s voice on the other end of the line, for a moment he considered spilling out all of the things that had happened since the last time he’d seen his parents.

But he couldn’t.

He had to keep them safe, even if he couldn’t protect himself. And if they knew what had been going on, they’d want to come straight to Metropolis from wherever it was they were hiding.

Restraining himself through force of will, he muttered “Code Black” into the phone before hanging up. Sighing, he walked over to Lois’s desk. Code Black meant his family would stay where they were; safely in hiding.

“Lois?”
She answered without looking up from her computer screen.
“What do you want, Clark?”
“Look, can we just... bury this for a few minutes?” He took a deep breath. “I need your help.”
“With what?”
She looked up, suspicion written on her face. Inwardly, he sighed. Ever since the last time he'd tried to warn her about Luthor, she'd treated him like the enemy.
Her face changed. “Clark, what's wrong? You look horrible.”
“Not out here. In the conference room. I'll meet you there in a couple of minutes.”
She regarded him warily.
“Please, Lois?”
She capitulated, getting to her feet and striding off to the conference room without another word. He allowed himself a small, grim smile before tapping on Perry's door.

“Oh, Clark, I was starting to wonder where you'd gotten to-”
Clark cut him off. “Chief, I need to talk to you.”
Perry leant forward, his mild annoyance at Clark's absence replaced by concern. “What is it, son?”
“Can you come into the conference room? It'll be easier to explain to everyone at once.”
“Uh, sure.”
“Thanks, Chief.”
Clark followed him out of the office and into the adjoining conference room, locking the door behind him and closing the blinds.
Perry, Jimmy, Jack and Lois regarded him with curiosity. Clark looked out between the blinds for a moment, checking that no one else was within earshot and mustering his courage.

Perry broke the silence.

“Clark? Is there something wrong? Because if you don't mind me saying so, you look like you just went three rounds with Tommy Garrison.”
“Feels like it too, Chief,” Clark admitted.
Perry pulled out a chair and gestured for Clark to take it.
“Sit down son, and tell us what's going on.” It was couched sympathetically but was nonetheless an order. “You've been acting strangely for weeks.”

Clark lowered himself into the chair gingerly and took a deep breath, pouring himself a glass of water from the carafe on the table to give himself time to control his breathing. Four pairs of eyes were fixed on him expectantly.

“Okay. The truth is, I'm being blackmailed.”

The incredulous silence was broken by a snort from Lois.
“Blackmail? For what? You don't exactly have a lot of money.”
“She's right. I know what you make, remember?” Perry pointed out.
“And why? Of all people, you are not a criminal. You're so clean you practically squeak!” Lois folded her arms and glared at him.

Clark waited for the furore to die down before replying.
“He doesn't want money. He wants power. And you're right, I'm not a criminal. But I do have a secret... one that would destroy my life if it got out.” He leant forward. “He threatened my parents' lives if I tried to investigate him. I got them away safely. After I came to Metropolis, we set up an escape route for them, just in case. They won't contact me now unless I give them the all clear.” He sighed, knowing there was a good chance he'd never see his parents again.
“But… he knows I’ve been digging. He'll tell the world my secret and there's nothing I can do to stop him.” Inwardly he winced at the defeat in his voice.

His friends stared at him, agog, and he knew the time had come.

“I wanted you to find out from me.” As he spoke, he slid his glasses off and put them down. With his good hand, he raked his hair back, slicking it down with water from the glass on the table and drew himself up as much as his injuries would allow.

“I'm Superman.”

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg