Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I would love to hear what you think. Advice on characterization is always welcome.

Kerth
Kerth
Yay! Another chapter! dance Perfect thing to start a five am wake up call kind-of-day.

I love this! Characterization is great! You've really got a hold on their personalities-- which I find very impressive, because even though they're still technically the characters we know and love from the show, as Alt-u characters they do have different aspects to their personalities. Lois' ire at not being respected as a reporter trumping her emotional fallout was very true to character, as was Clark's hesitance over meeting her.

Totally wasn't even expecting their first meeting to go like this, but that made it all the more perfect. Lois whacking him upside the head mentally was fabulous, and I like that Clark actually felt it. (Lois: where's that 2x4? wallbash )

Cat laughed as she stood and took him by the shoulders. “I think you were gone too long, Clark. Those keen powers of observation failed you this time,” Cat teased as she turned him around.

“Clark Kent, meet Lois Lane.”
Haha, nice bit of roll reversal here! laugh Like that in the alt-verse, Clark would be the one storming in while Lois is sitting there.

He almost laughed bitterly at the irony. Why would he meet *this* Lois only after he’d realized that he could never love her the way she deserved? Talk about bad timing.

*shakes head* Oh, Clark. You don't really love the other Lois. It's just misplaced affection. Give yours a shot!

The force of his emotions and words nearly staggered her. To be in the same room with a telepath as strong as Clark was completely overwhelming.
Oh, Lois, honey, no. mecry Don't feel rejected just yet. Clark's not a telepath like you are.

“While I think I understand what just happened, I’m not going to delve,” she explained
Ooh, does Cat know something about Lois' powers? I like that even if she does, she doesn't spill all to Clark. Of all people, Clark should respect that she isn't willing to gossip about anybody's powers, even if he's already exposed in this universe. Bonus points for Cat in my book. In fact, double bonus points, because I really love that you made her editor-in-chief too and think she would indeed do a fantastic job in the role.

clap Can't wait for more!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey Mouserocks, I'm so glad that the characterizations are working for you. Something that I seem to do quite often is incorporate one line of dialogue (or two) from the episodes and end up writing a conversation around it. Unintentional, but it works to keep me in line.

Totally wasn't even expecting their first meeting to go like this, but that made it all the more perfect. Lois whacking him upside the head mentally was fabulous, and I like that Clark actually felt it.
grin Yay for surprising you and that goes double if you liked it. So glad you picked that line. It made me smile, too.

Haha, nice bit of roll reversal here!
If all goes to plan, you should see a few more of those reversals throughout the story. /fingers crossed

Ooh, does Cat know something about Lois' powers?
I cannot confirm or deny that Cat knows about Lois's powers at this time. However, my intent was to convey that Cat is an astute observer of people and relationships. She knew that Clark felt something for the Lois that helped him become Superman and that he had looked for this Lois for the past year. Maybe I can add a line or two that makes it clear that she saw and understood that Clark's excitement/joy turned disappointment meant that he was expecting someone else.

Can't wait for more!
The story is 99% finished, so the posting schedule should be a new part every couple of days.

Thank you for the feedback.
B

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I wanted to get around to this fdk sooner, but I kept getting interrupted! I read this part as soon as it was posted, and then I just went back and reread it. I enjoyed it more the second time, I think, only because I was able to read slower and really enjoy it. The first time through... okay, I'll admit to just skimming through for Lois/Clark interaction. Such a one-track mind, I do. wink

I thought it was really interesting the way you had Lois also experience the death of Clark's parents. It's just one of the saddest parts of Alt-Clark's story for me... I love Jonathan and Martha as Clark's sounding board and givers of all the good advice, you know? I just hate that this Clark had to grow up without them. It also makes me want him to get his Lois even more, though, because he needs someone to be there for him and sustain him.

As he slipped into the currents of rushing people, Clark smiled at his colleagues in greeting and made his way to his desk. He felt a little guilty for staying away so long, for being egocentric enough to leave his world unprotected in order to spend additional time in Lois’s universe, but he quickly squashed the feeling. He wouldn’t trade his extra time on the Farm in Smallville with the Kents for anything. He’d talked and laughed and cried with them. Being held by Martha and Jonathan Kent had been something he would cherish for the rest of his life. After all he’d gone through in his life, no one could begrudge him that small bit of selfishness.

I love that he stayed longer and spent some time with the Kents (see my earlier comments) but truly, it probably only served to make his own re-entry into his Metropolis more lonely. Boy needs his Lois, stat!

Which brings me to... their first meeting. I'll go with Mouserocks on this one - I totally wasn't expecting it to go like that. I was floored.

Clark could almost feel her nervous anticipation at meeting him. He took in her look of dewy-eyed amazement and his smile vanished. His disappointment was palpable and even though he tried to hide it, he watched as her expression changed and he knew she had sensed it, too. No, this was not the Lois he knew, not if his expression could crush her enthusiasm. Although this Lois didn’t act like the hundreds of excited groupies that mooned over Superman, he could still tell she had been expecting something more from him.

I'm with Lois on this one - I was expecting more, too! However, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me. Yes, he's been searching for her. But he gave up on it, didn't he? He told HG Wells it was impossible to find her. And now he's spent quite a bit of time in our Metropolis, and he's adjusted to the idea of never finding his Lois - probably accepted it. And now, all of the sudden, she appears. He's bound to be shocked and confused, at best. Of course, Lois is disappointed, and in typical Lois-fashion, gets defensive and angry and pretty much tells him she could run circles around him in the newsroom.

So Lois and Clark have gotten off on the wrong foot... excellent. I can't wait to watch them fight falling in love. Some things are exactly the same, in any universe. I'm curious how you are going to have them interact with each other, though, seeing as they aren't partners. I was hoping that Cat would make it not an option and they would have to partner up (really liking Cat as the Ed-in-Chief, though! Brilliant!). The two of them competing for stories might be entertaining at first, but I want them to work together, too!

Excited for the next part!

Tracey smile

BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Tracey! Thank you for posting feedback on this chapter. Now that Lois and Clark have met, you will see them interacting through the rest of the story. How it plays out? RAFO.
devil

I thought it was really interesting the way you had Lois also experience the death of Clark's parents. It's just one of the saddest parts of Alt-Clark's story for me... I love Jonathan and Martha as Clark's sounding board and givers of all the good advice, you know? I just hate that this Clark had to grow up without them. It also makes me want him to get his Lois even more, though, because he needs someone to be there for him and sustain him.

I think this is one of the reasons that I love Alt-Clark so, so much. His was such a tragic and cruel situation, to not only lose his parents, but his Lois as well. Not to mention that his secret was outed by Tempus! The show writers were not kind to him. It's one of the reasons that I always wanted to write a story where *this* Clark meets his Lois. I'm happy to hear that they stayed in character for you in this part, even if you didn't expect it to go down like that.

So Lois and Clark have gotten off on the wrong foot... excellent.
I love your reaction here! Excellent, indeed.

I can't wait to watch them fight falling in love. Some things are exactly the same, in any universe. I'm curious how you are going to have them interact with each other, though, seeing as they aren't partners. I was hoping that Cat would make it not an option and they would have to partner up (really liking Cat as the Ed-in-Chief, though! Brilliant!). The two of them competing for stories might be entertaining at first, but I want them to work together, too!
Maybe they will, maybe they won't.
angel-devil

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They stared frostily at each other having a silent battle of wills. The tense spell was broken by Lois’s forceful entrance into the room. The office door rebounded as she took several steps into the office, tears sliding down her cheeks as she asked, “You’re getting a divorce? Because of me?”

Ellen Lane looked daggers at Sam and then grabbed her coat and purse. She paused long enough to kneel down and wipe away Lois’s tears. “Not because of you, sweetheart. Because of us.”

She took Lois by the hand and without looking back, led her silently out of the roo

Yikes! Now we know where Lois got her strength of personality. This is the Ellen Lane I prefer! When she was briefly portrayed by Phyllis Coates in the final episode of Season One I figured she was not a person to put up with Sam Lane's foolishness. Here we see up protecting Lois from her father. The man is crazy on more than one level!

Clark knocked sharply on the Chief’s office door and hardly waited for her perfunctory reply before stepping inside. Catherine Grant sat exactly where he expected her to be – behind the heavy oak desk with a blue pencil holding her hair in a loose bun. His editor looked up from the afternoon edition mock-up spread out in front of her and smiled in greeting.

Ha! Hmmm, why does Catherine Grant becoming the new editor of The Daily Planet after Perry's exit not surprise me?
whistle

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Now we know where Lois got her strength of personality. This is the Ellen Lane I prefer!
I like to think that the universe balances things out somehow (and since I'm kind of in charge of this universe for a while, I get to balance it grin ), and this Lois needed someone to show her that all of the fear and pain of growing up with this ability was bearable and that she'd be able to use it for good.

Ha! Hmmm, why does Catherine Grant becoming the new editor of The Daily Planet after Perry's exit not surprise me?
One of the best things about fan fiction (other than fixing problems) is to be able to add dimension to the characters. I'm glad this worked for you.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard