Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Morgana #275939 06/23/17 03:44 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And, as a secondary also, I'd like to second that any feedback is good feedback. I mean, don't be mean. But even if all you comment on is that something is "hella dope" or even something constructively critical, any word is helpful. If you see a plothole, point it out. If you're confused, let me know. If I spelled "Clark" without an "r" seventeen times in a chapter, PLEASE let me know (I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE AND IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN). Let's get talking guys.
Good to hear from you again, Mouse. smile On that last point, I'm seriously considering creating a character named Losi, I've typed it so often. Thank goodness WORD lets us auto-replace often mis-typed words. Lois, Superman, and Clark are all on my list capitalized and with all their commonly misspellings fixed. Often when someone makes a serious gaff (such as mis-types the end of italicized indicator), I'll PM the writer to let them know of the error. That way, it won't be in the comments after they've had time to fix it. I haven't noticed any Claks pop up in a story, but I'd definitely point it out if I did.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
VirginiaR #275941 06/23/17 04:00 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
On that last point, I'm seriously considering creating a character named Losi, I've typed it so often.
rotflol That would be a delightfully confusing story. Which time did she mean Lois and which time did she mean Losi?

I haven't noticed any Claks pop up in a story, but I'd definitely point it out if I did.

Not in these stories, but back in my Superman Returns days, when my old laptop lost the "r" key... it was rough. Clak was everywhere, that dummy. jump

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Morgana #276130 07/03/17 06:13 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you, Morgana, for the post and thank you, everyone that responded. I've been away because of real life. When my daughter was born, I made a conscious decision to limit my media time. My problem is that as she has gotten older and I've started spending more time online, it's been to social media that I've turned.

However, I have been feeling more and more disenchanted with FB and have been thinking about getting away from it. The algorithms that 'push' data at me end up making my time online time-consuming and unsatisfactory. I'd be happy to switch my online time back to a supportive and accepting group.

I'm a pre-school teacher, so of course I have more free time during the summers, but hopefully I won't disappear altogether again for a while.

BJ #276157 07/05/17 03:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by BJ
Thank you, Morgana, for the post and thank you, everyone that responded. I've been away because of real life. When my daughter was born, I made a conscious decision to limit my media time. My problem is that as she has gotten older and I've started spending more time online, it's been to social media that I've turned.

However, I have been feeling more and more disenchanted with FB and have been thinking about getting away from it. The algorithms that 'push' data at me end up making my time online time-consuming and unsatisfactory. I'd be happy to switch my online time back to a supportive and accepting group.

I'm a pre-school teacher, so of course I have more free time during the summers, but hopefully I won't disappear altogether again for a while.

Hi BJ! wave
Congrats on the baby! Yeah, FB can be darn depressing at times. Too much...everything grumble

We're more fun. You should just hang out here. thumbsup

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
folc4evernaday #276168 07/05/17 09:28 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
We're more fun. You should just hang out here. thumbsup

Sold!

Morgana #276477 07/23/17 01:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well. It turns out that when I said "My life is finally stabilizing, so I'll probably post more often," what I actually meant was "I will have limited internet again and be kept too busy to do anything interesting, anyway". -_-

~•~
Morgana #276486 07/23/17 08:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You should know better then to tempt Murphy.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
Well. It turns out that when I said "My life is finally stabilizing, so I'll probably post more often," what I actually meant was "I will have limited internet again and be kept too busy to do anything interesting, anyway". -_-
Sorry to hear that, QoC. That must be frustrating for you. We're happy to get your posts / updates whenever you can post.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Morgana #276825 08/23/17 11:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hello everyone! wave

I haven't been here in a very long time, since sometime last year My reason for being absent so long was due to computer related issues which began late last year. The most severe of them being the complete and total death of my computer's hard drive in January which left me with a non-functioning computer. Finally, after many delays and other issues related to resolving the hard drive problem I now once again have a functioning computer and am slowly trying to get back into things which I have been away from while trying to deal with all of my computer problems.

For a while my computer time will be limited to the evenings because the A/C is currently broken and during the daytime it is simply too hot to use the computer or to even be in the room where the computer is located most of the time. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until the A/C is fixed and until then I'll try to find some time during the evenings to come here.

Last edited by Lady Loisette; 08/23/17 11:04 PM.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Morgana #276828 08/24/17 09:16 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Lady Loisette,

Welcome back. I hope things settle down soon for you. IN the meantime...

Keep cool,
Lynn

Morgana #280592 05/22/18 08:53 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Wow!

I've always been impressed by the depth and variety of experience on this board, but now I'm blown away. I hope things are looking up for all of you (especially Lynn, Terry, cuidadora, and Morgana). I'm glad to see that most of the people who've posted in this thread are still here. Heck, I'm glad the boards are still here. smile

I drifted away for several reasons: post-election blahs, RL encroachment on my "free" time, and, yeah, because it depressed the ever-lovin' muse right out of me to see hundreds of hits on a post with only a handful of FDK left. For example, part 2 of my current WIP has 2384 hits and 12 comments. I mean, come on! So I stepped away, tried to regroup, and things got worse. I've spent the past eight months unsure every day whether I'd still have a job the next day. It wears you down. Things at work have settled, as management puts it, "for the foreseeable future" (which is really no comfort at all).

But I digress.

What I really wanted to share is that these boards have always been a great place to hang out/escape reality with FoLCs who don't think I'm insane because I'm writing fanfic about a show that's been off-air for 20 years. I've appreciated the camaraderie and the way everyone is supportive of each other. I'm always blown away by the sheer volume of talent and creativity on display here. I've literally laughed and cried with you guys. I've been given praise, encouragement, gently worded critiques, and harsh criticism. As long as it's constructive, I welcome the feedback (but, man, do I prefer the gently-worded over the harsh!).

I never forgot this board, you guys, or the fact that I'd promised to finish the WIPs I started. I want to add my plea to that of the other authors who've encouraged lurkers to leave FDK. I tell myself stories in my head constantly. Investing the time and effort to plot them, type them out, polish them, etc. takes me hours and hours and hours. A few minutes spent leaving FDK probably isn't a fair trade for that much hard work, but it's a trade I'm willing (even eager) to make.

<sigh> Truly, it is good to be back in my happy place. hyper

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Morgana #280597 05/22/18 09:39 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Sue,

Yay! You're back! smile1 And you're posting more fanfic! hyper hyper

I look forward to reading your story once I have a little more free time. (I'm very much looking forward to summer vacation.)

Thank you for your good wishes. Things have slowed down a bit for the time being on my work front, but I know that once I return from summer break, it will be busier than ever.

Things are vastly improved on the home front, now that my son and I are both safe.

Good luck at work. I hope the "foreseeable future" proves to be a very long time.

Welcome back.

Joy,
Lynn

Sue S. #280598 05/22/18 09:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Sue S.
Wow!

I've always been impressed by the depth and variety of experience on this board, but now I'm blown away. I hope things are looking up for all of you (especially Lynn, Terry, cuidadora, and Morgana). I'm glad to see that most of the people who've posted in this thread are still here. Heck, I'm glad the boards are still here. smile

I drifted away for several reasons: post-election blahs, RL encroachment on my "free" time, and, yeah, because it depressed the ever-lovin' muse right out of me to see hundreds of hits on a post with only a handful of FDK left. For example, part 2 of my current WIP has 2384 hits and 12 comments. I mean, come on! So I stepped away, tried to regroup, and things got worse. I've spent the past eight months unsure every day whether I'd still have a job the next day. It wears you down. Things at work have settled, as management puts it, "for the foreseeable future" (which is really no comfort at all).

But I digress.

What I really wanted to share is that these boards have always been a great place to hang out/escape reality with FoLCs who don't think I'm insane because I'm writing fanfic about a show that's been off-air for 20 years. I've appreciated the camaraderie and the way everyone is supportive of each other. I'm always blown away by the sheer volume of talent and creativity on display here. I've literally laughed and cried with you guys. I've been given praise, encouragement, gently worded critiques, and harsh criticism. As long as it's constructive, I welcome the feedback (but, man, do I prefer the gently-worded over the harsh!).

I never forgot this board, you guys, or the fact that I'd promised to finish the WIPs I started. I want to add my plea to that of the other authors who've encouraged lurkers to leave FDK. I tell myself stories in my head constantly. Investing the time and effort to plot them, type them out, polish them, etc. takes me hours and hours and hours. A few minutes spent leaving FDK probably isn't a fair trade for that much hard work, but it's a trade I'm willing (even eager) to make.

<sigh> Truly, it is good to be back in my happy place. hyper

Welcome back Sue! wave

Glad to hear things have turned around for you and I'm sure we can all relate to RL and the blues kicking our muses out for some time but it is good to hear from you and see you posting again. Welcome back and I can't wait to see what your muse has in store for you.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Morgana #280600 05/22/18 10:31 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sue! Welcome back!

So glad things are turning around for the better for you. And I hope the "foreseeable future" is forever.

Looking forward to seeing what your muse serves up!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Morgana #280637 05/24/18 08:27 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Hi Sue! I’m posting here at the risk of crossing that line into stalker. goofy
I hope your work situation stays stable. I am in a similar position at the moment. The unknown can really suck. razz

This place is my happy place too. I don’t know how I managed to stay away for so long. Glad you found your way back as well.

Last edited by jackiek; 05/24/18 08:30 AM.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Morgana #281445 07/24/18 01:02 AM
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
I'm certainly one of those that is terrible at feedback. I'm trying to get better at figuring out how to say what I like or don't about a story, but usually the best I can come up with is that I liked it or didn't. And it's been said time and time again in multiple places, not just on these boards, that it's not very helpful to say that.

I'm an incredibly voracious and eclectic reader. I literally read anything that catches my interest. But I have problems seeing plot holes, or catching subtleties in character development, or expressing myself to describe specifics about what I liked. I'm always very appreciative of the time and effort that goes into making a good story, and I've read enough bad fic over the years (some of it even published!) that I'm even more appreciative of the support all of you authors give each other to create the archive of amazing fic we have here. Unfortunately most of the time, I literally can't think of anything to say besides "I liked it, thanks for sharing."

I read so much, I've started avoiding most incomplete stories, especially those being actively posted. Because by the time the week or so til the next part has passed, I've gone on to read and finish other stories and books and articles and things I'm researching and I've usually completely lost the thread of the story that's being posted. Which means I've got to go back and read the whole thing to get back in the flow, and that can actually make it so I don't enjoy the story as much because by the time the end gets there, I've read the beginning quite a few times. (run on sentences ftw)

I can only read something for the first time once, and I really value that experience. Getting in the mood that's being set, being immersed in the world, caught in their lives, watching the story unfold...I find very few stories that can capture me in the same way after the first reading. The few that do are among my most favorites. That's not to say I don't enjoy re-reading things, I do, very much. But that first time is special, and I hate wasting it on chapters dribbled out over time.

So, I'm happy to post pop poms in the fdk to let folks know that I'm anticipating reading it, but I haven't really gotten the impression that's helpful either. Reading here that it is helpful, I'll be sure to do it more (needs to find the code for the pom pom smiley)

PuffyTiger #281450 07/24/18 12:01 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by PuffyTiger
I'm certainly one of those that is terrible at feedback. I'm trying to get better at figuring out how to say what I like or don't about a story, but usually the best I can come up with is that I liked it or didn't. And it's been said time and time again in multiple places, not just on these boards, that it's not very helpful to say that.
wave Hey PuffyTiger! I just wanted to say here that, while yes, detailed feedback is awesome and a feat of writing in and of itself, don't ever sweat it if you don't feel you have the time/thoughts/mental energy to provide it(especially here, we're a pretty casual and warm group). I always think it's great to hear thoughts on my writing, good or bad, short or long. So all comments are appreciated and enjoyable.

Unfortunately most of the time, I literally can't think of anything to say besides "I liked it, thanks for sharing."
Nothing wrong with that!

I read so much, I've started avoiding most incomplete stories, especially those being actively posted. Because by the time the week or so til the next part has passed, I've gone on to read and finish other stories and books and articles and things I'm researching and I've usually completely lost the thread of the story that's being posted. Which means I've got to go back and read the whole thing to get back in the flow, and that can actually make it so I don't enjoy the story as much because by the time the end gets there, I've read the beginning quite a few times.
You are not alone here. I like to "binge" read as much as I binge-watch. It's definitely hard to keep up in a serialized format (at the very least I usually let a couple of chapters build up to read all together).

I can only read something for the first time once, and I really value that experience. Getting in the mood that's being set, being immersed in the world, caught in their lives, watching the story unfold...I find very few stories that can capture me in the same way after the first reading. The few that do are among my most favorites. That's not to say I don't enjoy re-reading things, I do, very much. But that first time is special, and I hate wasting it on chapters dribbled out over time.
Haha, definitely understandable. As someone who's left a few too many stories... open-ended, let's say... there's also that issue of reading something that never gets resolved. I also would rather be immersed in the world that's been built to the exclusion of all else. It's why when I'm working out a problem when writing, I generally kinda drop off the boards... I can't be playing around in other people's universes until I've figured mine out. So that's a contributor on my part for why I don't comment sometimes too. goofy It's also why I try not to juggle more than one WIP (be it mine or reading others).

So, I'm happy to post pop poms in the fdk to let folks know that I'm anticipating reading it, but I haven't really gotten the impression that's helpful either. Reading here that it is helpful, I'll be sure to do it more (needs to find the code for the pom pom smiley)
Haha, trust me, that's more than helpful enough! Pom-poms are needed to bolster. It's a very valuable service and much appreciated!

I'm always happy to hear from you. You and Morgana helped pull me back in when I kinda started drifting away. sloppy

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Mouserocks #281593 08/04/18 12:38 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Bonjour,

just dropping by to say that I've haven't FDKed in a while because I could not find the leisure to read fics at all these last weeks... months... blush

Summer is till a VERY busy time at the office, and my workload has been piling up. Besides, the actual heat wave in France is difficult to cope with, as I have no air conditioning at work and at home. Quite frankly, when I do go home, I don't have the energy anymore to switch on a computer and read online...

My reading WIPs has become so erratic that I'd rather wait for some of the epic stories to be complete before I attempt to keep reading them. Reading the instalments in snatches don't do them justice at all! eek

Still, I managed to read a couple of short fics on my phone in the subway, and I'll comment on them asap.

I really miss you guys.

All the best,
Millefeuilles

Last edited by Millefeuilles; 08/04/18 12:38 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard