Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 34

It hurt. Lois tried to move but felt like a weight was on her chest. She felt a breath of cold air enter her lungs and gasped in surprise causing her to cough in a frenzy. Her eyes fluttered open, and she gasped in surprise, seeing the dark walls around her.

A slow clap from the other side of the room echoed around her. She sat up slowly, taking in her surroundings. Wherever she was, she was in a cage. “Two hours and thirteen minutes. I’ll have to have Dr. Kelly adjust the next dosage.”

“Lex? What am I doing here? Where am I?”

“Well, since your flying friend and you decided to dismantle everything I’ve worked so hard to build I’ve decided to repay the favor by taking everything he cares about …before I kill him.”

“What is wrong with you?” She spat out bitterly. “Why am I here?”

“You are what Superman cares about most in this world. The key to his destruction.” He smiled smoothly taking a step toward her as she moved back, “Obviously things are different now that I know the truth, my dear…”

“The truth?” She feigned ignorance, recalling the revelation Lex had made back at the apartment.

“I behaved horrendously, and you have every right to be angry with me, but I know given time you’ll forgive me just as I’ll forgive you.”

“Forgive you?” She scoffed, “You attacked me. You tried to kill me.”

“If you had just told me the truth none of that would have happened.” He brushed her off, “I’ve lost everything. My fortune. My good name. Everything but my feelings for you.”

“No, I... I could never... I mean...” She shook her head adamantly, “You’re deranged. After everything you've done, how could you expect ... ?”

“Yes, I've done terrible things. But I did them for you. Provoked by the blinding light of your beauty. If you can't forgive me...” He shrugged, “Maybe some quality time alone will help you see reason.” He moved toward the exit, locking the door behind her.

The Pain. It ached all over.

‘Lois.’

He fought against the burning pain as he forced his eyelids up with a loud groan. A bright yellow light shone into his eyes, and he groaned.

“I wouldn’t try to move just yet.” A familiar voice said from behind him. “Those sun lamps have only had a few hours to work.”

Clark looked around at his unfamiliar surroundings. It was dark. Like a cave. “Where am I?” He croaked out, trying to focus on his surroundings and bring the image in more clearly.

“An underground cave long forgotten.” The voice said, moving toward him with a red glowing liquid. “According to my research. This stuff seems to counteract the green. You can sit there and suffer in pain as it slowly eats away your insides or let me administer it into your system. Your choice Superman.”

Clark looked down at his attire, seeing the suit and boots on. A costume change he didn’t remember making. “Don’t look so surprised.” The familiar voice changed to another voice he recognized as he removed the cowl from his face. “I didn’t think lying in a ditch as half Clark Kent and half Superman boded well for you.”

“Thanks.” Clark managed, still fighting the pain from inside him.

“So, decision?” He waved the red solution in the air. Clark nodded and winced as he felt a hard prick in his arm. It burned. Whatever the substance was that Bruce had just administered. It burned like hell but only for a moment. The pain he felt on his insides was slowly subsiding and the burning slowly dissipated.

“Thank you.” Clark breathed, releasing a long breath as he sat up, looking around the room. It looked to be some sort of lab of sorts with computer screens on the far wall. Taking a deep breath, he kicked his feet over the side of the table he was on.

“Not really setup for medical care here.” Bruce gave a half-grin.

“It’s fine. Really.” Clark said, standing up, rubbing his arm. “What was that stuff?”

“Appears to be the same as that green substance you were exposed to just slightly different molecular structure,” Bruce explained, typing on the keypad as he pulled up the reports from his scientists. “I believe you called it Kryptonite?”

“How did you…?” Clark began to ask, but Bruce cut him off.

“My team found some near where the green substance was found on the Irig Farm.” At Clarks’ concerned look Bruce continued, “I’ve had a tail on Luthor’s men for months now. When they showed up sniffing around, I had my team dig up the area for anything Luthor might be looking for. It’s safe in lockup. No one comes down here but me. No one examines anything down here without my say-so.”

“He sent people to Smallville?” Clark asked, concerned.

“I’m told an undercover agent with the FBI was the assigned man. Your family isn’t in any danger.” Bruce reassured. “You wanna tell me what happened? How’d you end up in the ditch of Southside covered in powdered residue of Kryptonite with your suit exposed; half in costume and half-out. I may not know you that well but I know enough to know you wouldn’t risk your identity like that …”

“He has my powers.” He said solemnly. “I don’t know how but he has them. He overpowered me and ….” Clark grew silent. “He has Lois.”

“Then I guess we better get to work on getting your powers back,” Bruce said, typing in a few keys. “It may take a few hours but…”

“I don’t have a few hours,” Clark argued. “Lois is in danger.”

“You don’t have your powers. How do you plan to fight a super-powered Luthor?”

“I don’t know.” Clark argued, “but I’ve gotta do something.” His expression was grim, “I can’t just sit by and do nothing.”

“I may have an idea.” Bruce said, walking toward the intercom at his desk, “Alfred, get Lucius on the phone. Tell him I need him to bring the Super Chip Prototype he was working with Dr. Lane on …”

“Wait a minute…” Clark interrupted, “Super chip? Dr. Lane?”

“Luthor ordered a hit out on his top scientist. Big mistake. Seems Ms. Taylor had been hired by the FBI to work as a double agent. She brought Dr. Lane into FBI protection, and we orchestrated a ruse to make Luthor think Dr. Lane had been killed when in fact he’d been hiding out here in Metropolis the entire time.”

Panic crossed Clark’s face as the news sunk in. “He doesn’t…” He motioned to his costume.

“No. Nobody knows but me…and I’m assuming Ms. Lane?” He looked at Clark for confirmation.

“So what is this Super Chip going to do?”

“Give you an advantage over Luthor and help you heal faster. It’ll dissolve after forty-eight hours though.”

“That’s convenient,” Clark said uncertainly.

“We’re sticking a foreign object in your body via needle the cleanest way to allow your body to get rid of it the better,” Bruce said with a smirk.

A knock at the door and the loud hum of the elevator doors caused Clark and Bruce to look toward Lucius Fox as he stepped into the dimly lit room. “Mr. Wayne,” Lucius nodded toward the billionaire dressed in his Batman gear from the neck down then toward Clark, “Mr….Superman?”

“Lucius? The chip?” Bruce asked impatiently.

Lucius nodded and pulled out a small blue and red needle with a gold chip inside the syringe. “I hope you know what your doing Mr. Wayne.”

Bruce ignored him, taking the needle and turning back to Clark, “Moment of truth.”

“Let’s do it.” Clark nodded his agreement.

Clark landed outside the mausoleum in Bruce’s Batman jet. “Thanks.”

“Be careful. Luthor isn’t above anything. Believe me, I know.” Batman warned him exiting the jet a few feet away. “How’s the arm?”

“Sore. But I’ll live.” Clark brushed it off, looking around the area for any signs of an entry. His powers still hadn’t returned. No super-hearing. No x-ray vision. No Heat vision. No flying. The only thing he had now was the enhanced strength from the super chip of Dr. Lane’s. If Dr. Lane was right then, it would give him the advantage he needed to be able to stop Luthor once and for all.

“Over here.” Clark stopped, finding a loose lamp at the entrance. He turned it, and a secret passage opened up.

Bruce came up behind him. “Never a good idea to come in through the front door.”

“You got any better ideas?” Clark asked.

“There’s a weak stone in the back. I can…”

“I don’t have time,” Clark said, brushing him off. “I’ve got to find Lois.” Before he could hear his response, he’d already left Batman above ground while he worked his way through the underground tunnels to find Lois.

A bright blue light illuminated in the next room. He watched from the corner as a very drained Resplendent Man stood on one side of a panel with Lex on the other and a young blonde pulled the lever to force the shock of both men through what looked like a large lightning bolt in a long tube behind them.

“How about now?” Dr. Kelly asked.

Lex punched a hole through the wall behind him. “We’re getting closer, but it’s still not maintaining. Every exertion keeps draining the powers.”

“And he’s getting weaker…” Dr. Kelly said, looking toward Resplendent Man.

‘Weaker?’ Clark thought to himself. ‘If he’s taking the powers from Waldecker and they’re not staying…’ An idea began to form in his mind. He looked down the long corridor, willing some sign of his enhanced vision or hearing to kick in but nothing came. ‘Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo…’ He chose the left corridor, praying it would take him to Lois.

“This wasn’t part of the deal.” Resplendent Man argued angrily. “You can’t just hold my sister hostage like this.”

“You tried to back out of our deal.” Luthor snarled, grabbing him by the collar, “I thought having a reminder of what’s at stake nearby would … encourage you to do the right thing…” A slow smile smoothed over his face with an eerie calm, “Was I wrong?”

Resplendent Man sensed the darkness in Lex’s tone and thought it best not to argue. “No…no, of course not.”

Code after code had been typed into the keypad lock but nothing so far. Lois jumped back in surprise with a yelp when she saw metal bars rise up from the ground with a green hue. Green. Lois glared at the bars around her. The bars were green. Which most likely meant Kryptonite.

‘Focus.’ She told herself. ‘Pull it together.’

The lights flickered in the room, and she heard the cries from down the hall. “What in the world?” She wondered aloud.

“Lois!!!” She heard Clark’s voice from the tunnels behind her.

“Clark!” She turned to see him at the entrance.

She looked around her in dismay, “Don’t come any closer. It’s Kryptonite and…” She stopped when she saw him stagger toward the cell.

“I’m not leaving.” He said between ragged breaths.

To her surprise he began to pry the cell door open, throwing it to the ground. He cried out in agony as he pried the cell bars open, “Clark!”

He was in pain. That much was certain, but he was doing it. Despite the pain from the kryptonite he was doing it. Once there was enough room for her to step between the bars she closed the distance between them, helping pull him away from the poisonous bars. “Are you all right?”

She leaned in to kiss him, running her hands up the sides of his face, feeling the clammy skin against her palms, “Are you? How did you even…?”

“Your dad’s super-chip.” He explained, hurriedly. “I’ll explain later, but right now…”

“Clark, about earlier….when you were…” She interrupted.

He shook his head, “Please not here and not now.” He leaned in to kiss her. “I don’t want an answer like this.” He leaned in to kiss her once more, this time with more intensity. His face didn’t feel as clammy as before.

“He knows.” She said shakily.

“I know.” He rested his chin against her forehead.

“He has your powers.”

“I know.” He said shakily. “He’s got Waldecker in some room down there hooked up to some machine, but the powers he’s got…they’re fading. They’re not staying. If I can get him to run them out….”

“Then it’ll be a fair fight.” She noted, realizing what he was getting at.

“That’s good to know.” A voice behind them said.

Lois turned to see the Batman with bat-shaped keypad. “Your boyfriend didn’t want to wait …” He stopped mid-sentence, examining the bars from the cell Clark had just pried open. “You never do anything the easy way do you?”

Clark let out a shuddered breath, holding her to him, “No time.”

Batman tapped the bars sniffing, “Paint. Kryptonite Paint.”

“How do you know about Kryptonite?” Lois asked in surprise.

“You’d be surprised at the things I know, Ms. Lane.” He responded examining the key lock on her keypad.

“What are you doing?” Clark asked.

“Trying to get rid of the Kryptonite cell bars. They seem to be activated by this code lock.” Batman explained. “I figured you’d appreciate the help.”

Clark gave him a rueful smile, “Thank you.”

“Every little bit helps.”

“I’ve tried every code.” She whispered. “The last one made this happen.” She pointed to the glowing green bars.

A loud ping could be heard, and a click as the cell bars rose up into the ceiling and into the ground. Batman nodded, “091293.” He looked at her with a smirk, “Mean anything to you?”

“The day Clark started at the Planet,” She whispered, glancing at Clark.

Clark nodded with a grim expression, “And the day of the White Orchid Ball.”

Lois grimaced, “The day I met Lex.”

“Apparently you made quite an impression.” He smirked at the two of them.

“How do we get out of here?” Lois asked.

“We’ve got to get Waldecker out first,” Clark said. “He may not be the best guy, but from the look on his face…it’s obvious he’s not here of his own free will.”

“Could have someone in one of these cells,” Batman observed. “I’ll take the left corridor and see what I can find. Meet you at the stairwell.”

“Wait….” Before Clark could get his attention, Batman disappeared through the corridor, swinging from a rope he’d flung into the ceiling.

A gust of wind brushed against her face, and she turned to see Lex standing in front of them, “Well, well, well, what do we have here?”

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” Lex mocked, advancing toward them with a sinister glare.

“Lois, get back…” Clark warned, placing himself between her and Luthor.

“Yes, please do. So you can have a better view….of your fallen hero!” Lex shot a beam of heat vision toward them, and Clark knocked her to the ground, rolling them out of reach.

“Be careful.” She whispered in his ear before he helped pull her to her feet, meeting her gaze and giving her a silent plea to ‘run’.

She nodded as he turned back toward Luthor. “Luthor!” He growled, advancing toward him. He felt like he had the wind knocked out of him as Luthor sped toward him, grabbing him by the neck.

He found himself hoisted up and thrown into the wall as Luthor taunted with a smile, “Shouldn’t you be listed under the endangered species?”

Clark shook himself off, dusting the debris off of himself, smiling when he saw Luthor’s surprised expression. “That all you got?”

Taking advantage of Luthor’s surprise he tackled him to the ground, “You can’t defeat me…” Lex mocked, hoisting him up and grabbing him by the neck once more as he slammed him against the wall, holding him in place. “I know you don’t have your powers you ….hack! Such a powerful weapon that Kryptonite is….took months to refine it down into a powder….and render you into the weakling you really are!”

Clark grabbed Lex’s hand, pulling his fingers back one by one with the help of the super-chip, watching with a smirk as Lex’s face changed from cocky to shock as he slowly began to overpower him, forcing him to the ground as he slammed him against the wall with his arm.

Lex met his gaze uncertainly, “Your…your powers…How is this?”

“Do you know how easily I could kill you???” Clark slammed Lex against the wall with a jerk, holding him by the collar in anger.

“Probably.” Lex breathed hoarsely.

“I warned you-you son of a….” Clark growled angrily.

Lex peeled his fingers back, flinging him back against the wall. “You really think you’re any match for me?” Lex taunted. “Unlike you …ALIEN….I have no weaknesses!!”

Clark smirked, looking at the blood dripping down Lex’s hand from where he’d freed himself of Clark’s grasp, “You sure about that?” Before Luthor could respond, he tackled him to the ground, holding him at bay as he hissed, “Not so cocky now that your powers are fading are you, Luthor??” He tightened his grasp on him. “What part of the word ‘no’ don’t you get, Luthor?” Lex chuckled, and Clark slammed him against the ground, “You sick, twisted, two-faced sociopath, you could have killed her!”

“I knew what I was doing…” He reached in his pocket. A nauseating pain filled Clark as he loosened his grip on Luthor. To his horror, a tall cage fell around them with green bars…green glowing bars.

Bars won't hold me, Luthor.” Clark managed to moan out as he groaned in pain.

Luthor scowled, kneeling over him as he taunted, “Oh? I think they will.”

“Tick tock tick tock…” Nigel sang aloud, “I wonder how your president would feel if he knew how unwilling you were to negotiate for him. I say I want all charges against me dropped. You say no. I say I can give you everything you ever wanted to know about Mr. Luthor and where he is hiding and his plans for this city and you still say…no.” Nigel mused. “Why?”

“You’re a murderer and a thug. “I’m not letting you back on the streets.”

“Your decision.” Nigel mused with a smile.

Lucy slammed her phone down in frustration. “What’s wrong?” Jimmy asked, looking at her in concern.

“I don’t know.” She said grabbing her things hurriedly. “I can’t get ahold of Lois or Clark.”

Jimmy followed her to the door, “Where are you going?”

“I’ve just got to make sure everything’s okay.” She said hurriedly. “I’ll be back in a jiff.”

“Wait!” He called after her. “I’m coming with you!”

Lex danced around the cage taunting Clark as he cowered in pain from the green glowing bars that surrounded him. “You thought you could destroy me? Take everything from me? Well, now who’s the one with the fear of God in him??” Lex hissed in his ear, taunting him, “How long I've feared you, envied you... yet never really knew you.”

“I’ve been assured by my men that your parents and Ms. Lane’s mother have been taken care of…” He continued to taunt him.

Clark did his best not to react, recalling Bruce’s reassurance that an undercover FBI agent had been assigned to Smallville. “You won’t get away with this…”

“Oh, I already have…” Lex snarled happily.

Clark glared at the blood on Luthor’s hand. He stared at the blood as he tried to will his body and mind to ignore the nauseating pain. Luthor was weak right now. No powers. Now was his chance.

Lois watched from the corner as an unfamiliar woman adjusted the dials on a machine hooked up to Resplendent Man and an empty metal dial. “What are you doing?”

“Adjusting the equilibrium.” The woman snapped. “I thought I told you to shut up.”

“Wandamae isn’t going to understand any of this…” Resplendent Man argued. “You’ve got her trapped….”

“Oh, she will be fine.” The woman rolled her eyes, “Mrs. Lincoln thinks Abe had a bad night at the theater.”

“What???” He snapped outraged.

Lois looked around the dark hallway to see if she could see any sign of this Wandamae they were talking about. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a woman in a long dress and bonnet that looked like it was from the early 1900’s tinkering with the metal bars of her cell.

‘That’s got to be Wandamae.’ She thought. ‘Where is he at?’ She looked around for Batman.

A dark voice behind her whispered, “His sister was in a cell around the corner.” He pointed to a woman dressed in something out of the early 1900’s.

“Shhh…” She whispered, “They’re going to hear you and…”

“And pull a gun on you?” Lois jumped when she saw the woman from before holding a pistol aimed at her. “I see you’ve found our little friend.”

Lucy unlocked the front door of Clark Kent’s apartment cautiously. It was eerily quiet. She spotted the candles that had burned down to the wick. There was glass shattered near the balcony. “Get the candles,” Lucy said hurriedly.

“Should we call the police?” Jimmy asked, blowing out each candle one by one.

“Not yet.” Lucy said, looking around. “I gotta figure out what happened here.”

“Isn’t that the police’s job?” Jimmy asked, watching her look around the room.

“It was also their job to investigate the arson of the Planet and look how that turned out.” Lucy shot back. A small green glowing object in the corner caught her attention. ‘What in the world is that?’

“Point taken.” He said.

She looked down at the small glowing stone, reaching out to grab it. She’d never seen anything like it. Under careful examination she saw hints of blood on the floor around the stone next to a lead box. A greenish hue washed over her as she stared at the rock.

Memories from after Lois’ trip to Smallville came back to her.

<<“You should have been there, Luce. It was insane. This government rogue agent was convinced this rock or meteorite would kill Superman. He started beating on Clark as if that would get Superman to show up.”

“Did he?”

“No. Of course not. We were in Smallville.”

“Do you think this meteorite really can….kill him?”

“I don’t know.”>>

“What is that?” Jimmy asked.

Lucy placed the stone inside the box hurriedly, “Um, it’s a collector item of Clark’s.” She slammed the lid shut. “I’m just going to put this up.”

“Is that blood??” Jimmy asked, looking at the floor critically.

Luthor kneeled down in Clark’s face taunting him, “I may not be able to live the life I once had before you but rest assured I’ll make emperors kneel at my feet.”

“They’ll never cave…to the likes….of you.” Clark croaked out.

“Says the man that wasted his time playing hero with the gifts the Gods bestowed on him?” Luthor laughed, “That’s the difference between you and me. While you waste your good fortune away, I, on the other hand, would conquer and enforce…” He smiled slowly. “A true God among men.”

“They’ll stop you…” Clark warned.

“I think not.” Luthor hissed, “You’ll see. As you rot away in this cage…watching as everything is taken from you. Your parents. Gone. Your home….Well soon Metropolis will be mine once more. Thanks to the weapons I’ve secured from HM Weapons I’ll hold the entire world at my mercy…. and last but not least, the lovely Lois Lane.”

“You stay away from her…” He hissed back, choking into a coughing fit.

“Ah, yes, the hero fighting for his love.” He sniffed, “Now that I’m the best of both worlds it won’t take very long to woo Ms. Lane back into my arms…” He pat him on the cheek condescendingly, “I may even let you watch as I take her as my bride…”

“She’ll never…..

“Oh, but time has a strange way of working its magic…Just look at what it’s done for you. Taken a woman who barely looked at you ….” He gave a light chuckle. “The strongest man in the world…masquerading behind a pair of glasses and a cape.”

“You don’t…love her….could never…love anyone…but your…self.” Clark hissed angrily.

“You could never understand real love…between a real man and a woman. How could you?” He taunted, “You think the fling you shared could compare?” He let out a long sigh, “No, an alien like you could never understand how to love a woman like Lois Lane.” He chuckled, “You give her an inch she’ll take a mile. Much too independent. That spirit has to be broken and….”

Taking advantage of Luthor’s distraction he tackled him to the ground, holding him at bay as he allowed Luthor to exert himself, striking blows. He grunted in pain but kept his hold. Even with the Kryptonite around him, he could still take the brunt of Luthor’s strikes thanks to the super-chip. “You come near her ever again I’ll kill you.” He growled angrily.

“How ... Is this??” A light bulb went off, and Luthor chuckled, “Of course, the chip. You have Dr. Lane’s Super-Chip.”

Clark smiled when he saw blood coming down Luthor’s arm, “Looks like your time’s up…”

“I still have the upper hand…” Luthor snarled. “This entire place has been lined with Kryptonite hidden on every turn. You’ll never escape. Give me ….that chip!” Luthor growled, fighting against him.

“Your fear’s showing, Luthor,” Clark warned, tightening his grip on him. He could feel the sweat dripping down the back of his neck as he held Luthor at bay. He couldn’t let him leave. Couldn’t let him get another charge of powers from Waldecker.

“I think it’s yours that’s showing Kent!” Luthor grabbed him by the throat, tightening his grasp on him. “There’s always a limit to how much you can take….Stealing my technology?” Luthor clucked his tongue, “Tsk tsk tsk, now is that any way to treat your best enemy?”

“I’m insulted.” A familiar dark voice said from behind. I thought I was your best enemy.”

“And where do you think you’re going, Ms. Lane?” A voice called from behind her. She turned to see the blonde woman from earlier, pointing a gun at her, Batman and Wandamae.

“Who are you?” Lois breathed, inching herself in front of the oblivious Wandamae.

“Dr. Gretchen Kelly, lead researcher at LexLabs and your worst enemy.” She aimed the gun toward Lois as she looked toward Batman, “Who are you supposed to be?”

“Batman.” He said with a dark whisper as she cocked the trigger, aiming it at Lois, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

“I don’t like to see Lex upset, Ms. Lane and you leaving would make him very upset.”

“That’s too bad.” Lois said, backing away from her, “Because we’re not sticking around.” Once there was enough distance she delivered a swift kick to Dr. Kelly’s hand, knocking it to the ground.

She heard a hissing noise from behind her as she reached down to grab the gun and turned to see Dr. Kelly tied up in a tight-fitting rope with a bat-shaped clamp securing the rope in the front. “Thanks.” She aimed the gun on Dr. Kelly and smiled, “You were saying?”

“Where’d that nice man go?” Wandamae asked, looking around.

Bruce looked down at his radioactivity sensor that had gone off during his confrontation with Dr. Kelly. After securing her, he’d made his way back to where he’d left Clark. Knowing Luthor he’d probably triggered some other booby-trap lined with Kryptonite. Which meant Clark was going to need his help.

He swung into the dark corridor seeing Clark on top of Luthor inside a glowing green cage. “What is it with you and cages?” He asked, pulling out his handheld computer to override the system.

“You!!!” Luthor snarled angrily upon seeing him.

“Let’s make this a fair fight, shall we?” The kryptonite cage around them soon lifted up, and Clark sighed in relief.

Clark stood to his feet, keeping his hold on Luthor, “It’s over, Luthor!”

Luthor just glared back at him, laughing, “Never.”

Lois kept the gun trained on Dr. Kelly as she made her waddle her way into the blue-lit room. “Wandamae!” Resplendent Man called out happily.

“Tad!” She cheered happily.

“What is this? What are you doing here?” Lois asked, waving the gun at Dr. Kelly,

“Stealing my powers.” Resplendent Man answered guiltily. “He made me do it. He said he was going to kill Wandamae if I didn’t.”

“Who?”

“Lex.” Dr. Kelly answered with a grin.

“He’s powerless now,” Clark said, throwing Luthor to the ground in a heap at Batman’s feet.

Batman cracked his knuckles, “Good. It’ll be a fair fight then.”

“Who are you?” Luthor snarled, backing away from him.

Batman cracked his knuckles, approaching Luthor with a growl, “Someone that wants justice.”

“Wait!” Clark intervened, stepping between them as Batman pulled out a bat-shaped spear, “What are you doing?”

“Making him pay!”

“No!!!”

“Ms. Lane,” Resplendent Man called out, “You have to believe me I didn’t want any part of this.” He now had stepped down from the dial he was on and had helped secure Dr. Kelly in a bind with an empty pipe to ensure she wouldn’t escape out of the binds she’d been secured in by Batman.

“Shut up you little maggot!” Dr. Kelly called at him.

“He was going to kill my Wandamae!” Resplendent Man continued.

“It’s okay,” Lois reassured him. “She’s safe now.” She motioned to the young woman who still appeared to be confused about what was going on.

“Lucy, what is going on?” Jimmy asked, watching as Lucy hurriedly cleaned up the blood stain on the wood floor.

“I know my sister. She wouldn’t want to come back to the apartment like this.” Lucy said hurriedly. I’m sure she’s fine.”

“Oh? Is that why you called Henderson to open an unofficial missing person case on her and CK?” Jimmy asked, kneeling down, “What is going on?”

“Nothing,” Lucy said hurriedly, pushing past him as she rung the paper towel out in the sink.

“You just destroyed evidence,” Jimmy said in a panic. “What if something bad happened to them? What if…?”

“If ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ were candy and nuts we’d have a Merry Christmas.” Lucy shot back. “Everything is fine.” She repeated.

Jimmy stared at her angrily, “Everything is not fine! CK and Lois could be….” A sharp knock at the door interrupted their fight. “Who is that?” He asked annoyed.

“Window repairman probably,” Lucy said with a sigh. “Let him in.”

“Oh, more destruction of evidence,” Jimmy muttered to himself. “Great.”

“I’m going to put you away for the rest of your life.” Bruce sneered as he approached Lex.

“You and what army?” Luthor mocked him, “You’ll never be rid of me.” He backed away from him.

“Put it down!” Clark warned, reaching for the spear.

“You don’t know what he’s done!” Batman snarled. “You’re going to pay.”

“What is it with you heroes and wanting your revenge? What? What have I supposedly done now?”

“Oh, this isn’t recent. You killed a young woman many years ago, and you’re going to pay.”

Realizing who he was talking about Clark reached out to grab the spear from Bruce, “No! Don’t!!”

“After everything, he’s done ….” Bruce snarled, “I’m helping rid the world of this scum bag once and for all.”

“You do it, and you’re no better than him,” Clark warned, grabbing him from behind and holding him down.

“He’s a murderer!!” Bruce hissed. “Let me go!”

“I am NOT letting you do this!” Clark hissed in his ear.

“She was an innocent girl, and he destroyed her.” Bruce snarled as he fought against Clark. “Let go!”

“Not a chance!” Clark warned, “He’s going to see justice but not at your hands.”

“You don’t understand…” Batman hissed angrily.

“I understand plenty, but you don’t have all the facts.”

“He’s a murderer!”

“True but not for who you think.” Clark said in a harsh whisper. “That night Darlene Richmond disappeared is the same night Luthor’s parents died. Two days later a woman by the name of Beverly Cox was murdered…and in her place a woman who looked strikingly similar to…”

“What are you saying?” Bruce looked back at him, his struggling in Clark’s grasp came to a halt.

Clark met his gaze as he released him, and took a deep breath, “She’s not dead…but she’s not the same person you knew.”

“How is this possible?”

“She’s been working with him this whole time. Helping him commit crime after crime.” Clark explained, handing the picture to Bruce. “She’s killed at least twenty people that we know of.”

Bruce stared at him in dismay, “She was a good kid.” He managed weakly.

“Not anymore.” Clark said solemnly, “I’m sorry.”

Bruce looked around, “Where’d Luthor go?”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube