Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 30

Lois Lane was jealous. She could admit that. But if it weren’t for Mayson Drake constantly leering at her boyfriend while going over her testimony against Lex she wouldn’t have a reason to be.

“Ms. Lane?” Mayson prompted, tapping on her desk to get her attention. “Do you need a minute?”

Lois shifted in her chair, sitting up as she uncrossed and recrossed her legs. Clark placed a hand in her lap, taking the hand that had been gripping her knee as she spoke in his and squeezed it gently. She looked at him and smiled before turning back to Mayson, “Could you repeat the question?”

“When in the attack was it that you stabbed Mr. Luthor?”

Lois squeezed Clark’s hand, taking a deep breath, “I had just tried to run to the kitchen to get the rifle.”

“The unloaded collector?” Mayson clarified.

“Yes.” Lois breathed softly, “Um, he grabbed me from behind. I was trying to kick him off of me, but I couldn’t get any leverage. He threw me against the couch, and I hit the coffee table...” She could feel Clark tense. “I remembered the switchblade I kept in my purse for protection and started looking in my purse for it.”

“Where was Mr. Luthor at this time?”

“Coming toward me.” Lois bit the inside of her lip, trying to calm herself.

“Ms. Lane, do you need a minute?”

“No,” Lois said hoarsely, fighting the tears as she spoke. “He grabbed me by the jaw…and…banged my head against the floor…” She took a shaky breath and Clark moved to put an arm around her for support, “He climbed on top of me and ….had his hands…around my throat…”

“So he was choking you?” Mayson clarified.

“Yes,” Lois said numbly. “I tried to kick and punch, but I couldn’t get him off of me.” She cringed, tightening her grip on Clark “He loosened his grip on my throat and licked the side of my neck, giving me enough time to grab the switchblade.”

“Which you stabbed him with?”

“Yes,” Lois stated mutely.

“Okay,” Mayson made some notes before closing her notebook, “I think that’s all I need right now. Lex’s lawyer is going to try to twist this around anyway he can. I want to be prepared for everything he may try to throw at us.”

“It didn’t even phase him,” Lois said.

“What?” Mayson asked, jotting her statement down in her notebook.

“It didn’t faze him. It didn’t stop him. It didn’t slow him down.” Lois said with a bitter tone, “So why does it matter? He broke into my home. He beat my sister. He beat me. He taunted me. Called me every degrading name in the book while he tried to choke the life out of me again and again and wouldn’t stop until he had the barrel of his pistol pointed at his throat. There is no defense for that. There is no twisting that.” Lois snapped, grabbing her things and standing up.

Clark sat next to Lois, holding her hand as she gave her testimony to Mayson Drake. It took everything in him not to react as she described the terror she went through. “Um, he grabbed me from behind. I was trying to kick him off of me, but I couldn’t get any leverage. He threw me against the couch, and I hit the coffee table...”

He tensed up, feeling his blood boil at the thought of anyone hurting Lois. Ever since he'd come to Metropolis and met her, every time her life had been in danger he’d been able to help her in time. This time he hadn’t. This time he’d been on the other side of the city confronting an immoral man about his actions while wearing a cape and playing superhero.

Ever since his confrontation with Resplendent man he hadn’t seen or heard anything from him. He wasn’t sure if he should be relieved or suspicious. These days he didn’t have time to be either of those things. Lois was still recovering from the scars Luthor had left on her; both physical and mental. The case against Luthor for racketeering was growing stronger and stronger, and Henderson had assured them an arrest would be made by the end of the month. Unfortunately, that case wouldn’t stop the impending case against Jimmy.

“I remembered the switchblade I kept in my purse for protection and started looking in my purse for it.”

“Where was Mr. Luthor at this time?”

“Coming toward me.” He heard Lois’ hike in her heart rate as she continued to relay the attack to Mayson. He wanted to tell her to stop. He wanted to tell her she didn’t have to do this but he knew he couldn’t. Lex Luthor had hired the best of the best, Sheldon Bender. Bender’s plan was to call Luthor’s attack one of self-defense, claiming Lois had attacked him. The only way around that was for them to give testimony of what had happened. The pictures weren’t enough. The hospital records weren’t enough.

“Ms. Lane, do you need a minute?”

“No.” He saw the tears fall down her cheeks and sighed, moving closer to her. “He grabbed me by the jaw…and…banged my head against the floor…” He placed an arm over her shoulders and kissed her head, grateful to be allowed to touch her. It had been weeks since they’d been what he’d call close. Ever since Luthor’s attack….

She shuddered against him, grabbing his hand as she whispered venomously, “He climbed on top of me and ….had his hands…around my throat…”

“So he was choking you?” Mayson clarified.

“Yes,” Lois said numbly.

It was one word, but it tore him to the core. Knowing what this man had done to her and what he was getting away with…It would be so easy to fly over there and drop him off the tallest building and rid the world of the evil that possessed him. But he couldn’t do it. It went against everything he stood for. If he resorted to killing, he was no better than Luthor. So, for now, he stayed by Lois’ side and helped her recover while working with Perry and sometimes Lucy on getting Jimmy exonerated.

“I tried to kick and punch, but I couldn’t get him off of me.” She cringed, tightening her grip on him “He loosened his grip on my throat and licked the side of my neck, giving me enough time to grab the switchblade.”

<<“He loosened his grip on my throat and licked the side of my neck, giving me enough time to grab the switchblade.”>>

<<“He climbed on top of me and ….had his hands…around my throat…”>>

The words hung in the air as Clark came to terms with what had happened to her.

No wonder she couldn’t stand for her neck to be touched.

<<“I miss you.” >>

<< “Do you want to touch me?”

“Only if you want me to.” >>

<<“I’m sorry. “I want to. I miss you so much, but…I thought if I just forced myself it would make it easier.”

“Force yourself?”>>

<<“I think it had to do with you being on top of me.”>>

<<“You were kissing my neck.”>>

<<“I hate this.”>>

He’d climbed on top of her.

He’d beaten her.

He’d strangled her.

If she hadn’t of stopped him would he have tried to force himself on her? There was no doubt in his mind that Luthor was capable of it. A cold chill ran down his spine as a new understanding came over him.

It wasn’t just aggravated assault.

It was attempted murder.

It was kidnapping.

It had been kidnapping as he held her against her will while she screamed for help. Help he’d been too far away to give her.

That was why in the beginning she couldn’t stand for him to hug her in bed or make love to her because it reminded her of when Luthor had been on top of her…choking the life out of her. That was why it was hard for her to relax against him when he held her.

He’d just recently been able to kiss her neck without her freaking out. They’d found as long as she could see him and knew what he was doing it didn’t set her off. This meant no more surprise kisses or hugging from behind. Her therapy sessions with Dr. Young were helping her deal with everything, and they were making progress, but it still had been almost a month since they’d made love. Almost a month since he’d been able to hold her like he wanted and kiss her senseless without being afraid of hurting her.

He let out a muttered curse barely audible to the human ear as Mayson continued.

“Which you stabbed him with?”

“Yes,” Lois stated mutely.

“Okay,” Mayson made some notes before closing her notebook, “I think that’s all I need right now. Lex’s lawyer is going to try to twist this around any way he can. I want to be prepared for everything he may try to throw at us.”

“It didn’t even phase him,” Lois said numbly, staring straight ahead as her grip on him tightened.

“What?” Mayson asked, jotting her statement down in her notebook.

“It didn’t faze him. It didn’t stop him. It didn’t slow him down.” Lois continued, the bitter tone growing more and more intense with each word. “So why does it matter? He broke into my home. He beat my sister. He beat me. He taunted me. Called me every degrading name in the book while he tried to choke the life out of me again and again and wouldn’t stop until he had the barrel of his pistol pointed at his throat. There is no defense for that. There is no twisting that.” Lois snapped, grabbing her things and standing up.

He got up and followed Lois out of Mayson’s office, “Lois, honey, wait up…” He called after her.

She stopped in the middle of the courthouse lobby, leaning against one of the columns for support as she stared numbly at the crowd. He stopped in front of her, and she whispered, “He’s going to get away with it.”

“No, he’s not.” He took a step forward but kept a foot of distance between them. “I won’t let him.”

“What if it’s not up to you?” She asked.

“There’s always the put the fear of God into him approach.” He whispered back, half-joking. He’d told her about finding Luthor at her apartment, but he hadn’t told her what he’d done to him. He hadn’t told her about confronting him or throwing him off the roof of his penthouse or even him daring Luthor to come after him. It had taken everything in him not to crush him like the bug he was.

He didn’t want to worry Lois any more than she already was.

He just wanted Luthor to feel a fraction of what he’d put Lois through. The terror that ran through her mind when he’d forced himself into her apartment and attacked her.

“Clark…” Her face softened, “You can’t do that.” She looked around to make sure no one was paying attention to their conversation and lowered her voice. “Superman can’t do that.”

“Why not?” He shot back.

“Clark…” She sighed, taking a step toward him, placing her hand on his chest, “He’s supposed to stand for hope and justice.”

“It would be serving justice.” He pointed out, brushing his hand through her hair, “I just want him to suffer for what he did to you.”

“I know.” She leaned forward to kiss him, “Please don’t do anything stupid like threatening him. The last thing we need is him trying to make a trip to Smallville and dig up you know what.” There was a flicker of the lights for half a minute and then all power restored. “What in the world?” Lois asked, looking around. The lights flickered back on, and Clark held her close. “What was that?”

He was about to respond when his face froze with a familiar expression. “What is it?”

“Someone’s in trouble.”

Lois nodded, “Go.” She leaned in to give him a peck on the lips. “Be careful.”

“You sure you’re going to be okay?” He asked.

“I’m in a courthouse surrounded by police. I’ll be fine.” She shooed him, “Now go.”

On the roof of Luthor Towers, a mysterious jet hovered above the city with Lex Luthor strapped to a long cord attached to the jet. Clark sighed, cursing his luck as he flew toward the flailing billionaire.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Clark folded his arms over his chest as he hovered in front of Luthor with a grim expression on his face.

Luthor was hog-tied with duct tape over his mouth and his hands and feet restrained by duct tape to the long cord that was wrapped around both sets of limbs. Luthor struggled in his restraints looking at him pleadingly. He could very easily leave him there to suffer at the hands of whoever had done this to him. It would be so easy…but he couldn’t.

“This changes nothing.” Clark barked, grabbing him by the collar as he burned the cords off him and flew upward, taking the jet with him which he found to be operating at cruise control. He forced the jet down as he landed on the roof of Luthor towers, throwing Luthor to the ground.

Lex peeled the tape off his mouth, “Madman. A bat of some sort…”

“A bat?” He looked at him in disbelief before turning back to the jet to examine it. “You just can’t stop pissing people off, can you?”

Just as he was about to open the cockpit the jet fired upward, and Clark followed at super-speed, leaving Luthor to find his own way off the roof.

Lois took a deep breath and walked up the steps of the familiar building in front of her. She’d walked those steps a thousand times, but it was different now. Scary. Traumatizing. She’d been told in therapy that the only way to deal with what happened was to face it head on…when she felt ready. Was she ready? She didn’t know, but she knew living the way she was right now was not something she wanted to continue to do.

She fidgeted nervously as she saw the familiar door in front of her and pulled out her key. ‘501’ the door read.

“Well, here goes nothing.” She whispered to herself, pulling out her key.

Clark watched from a distance as a man dressed in a dark suit with a black cowl over his face with pointed ears held up a remote device, guiding the jet toward him. He frowned in disapproval as he landed in front of him. “Who are you?”

The dark echo of what was obviously some sort of distortion device echoed out. “Call me the garbage man. Just trying to take out the trash.”

“I’m not sure how you do things where you’re from, but here in Metropolis we let trials by judge and jury decide someone’s guilt, not a….” He looked up at him, “What are you?”

“I’m Batman.”

“Batman?” Clark repeated in disbelief with a light chuckle.

“Something funny?”

Clark smirked, trying to control his disbelief in the situation. “No, just trying to figure out what you’re doing here in Metropolis.”

“Same as you. Trying to help.”

“You make a habit of stringing billionaires up by your toys.”

“He was never in any danger.”

“Says you.” Clark corrected. He stared at him hard, frustrated that whatever material his suit was made from contained lead preventing him from x-raying his mask.

“Don’t bother. I’ve lined my suit with lead to prevent any accidental discoveries.”

“I see you’ve done your homework,” Clark commented. “Unfortunately I can’t return the compliment.”

“I like it that way.”

“Why did you go after Luthor?”

“He needed to feel fear. Real fear.”

“Fear? Why?”

“The same reason you were caught plummeting him down from Luthor Towers, again and again, catching him at the last minute.” At Clark’s surprised look he smirked back at him. “Research.”

“What do you want?”

“Justice.” With that he slipped into his jet offering a quick wave before calling out, “I’ll be around.”

Lois looked around the apartment, recalling the nightmare she’d lived weeks ago.

Here it was.

Her apartment.

Her home.

The place she’d called home for years.

Now it seemed to be a shell of what it once was. Tainted with the memory of Lex and what he’d done. The peace of mind she used to carry was gone. The sense of security she felt in this room was gone.

She took a seat on the couch, holding the edge for dear life as she stared at the ground, recalling every strike and every breath she struggled for under Lex’s grip. She scowled in anger as she felt her fury pulse through her veins.

She’d lost so much that night, but she refused to let him continue to rob her any longer. She stood to her feet, dabbing her eyes as she headed for the bathroom to gather the few things she needed and headed out.

Clark hovered outside the Metropolis Power and Energy Tower where the new skyline elevator that had been advertised as the tallest elevator, giving visitors a chance to see the city like ‘Superman’ was stuck mid-flight with thirteen passengers banging on the doors frantically.

“Just stay calm.” He mouthed to the group through the glass doors as he examined the mechanics of the ride. It looked like the only way to open the doors would be to turn it on it’s side, putting the group at risk of fall out. He examined the pole that the device was gripping and found a safety lock to release so he could move the elevator to the bottom by force. With a hard shove, he was able to get the group down to the ground and force the doors open.

“Oh! Thank you, Superman!” The group cried all at once their thanks as they rushed out.

“Just maybe take the stairs next time.” He smiled at them. He turned to leave, heading back to the office. That was the third one in the last week. Power surges all throughout the city were causing outages and shortages everywhere. No one could pinpoint where it was coming from.

“So, I’ve got class tonight,” Lucy explained as she finished gathering her things. “It might be a little late when I get out. Do you want me to call …?”

Lois shifted uncomfortably under her sister’s gaze. She knew what she was hinting at, and she wasn’t about to have this conversation with Lucy right now. It had been almost a month now since the attack....since she and Clark had made love. Most of that had been from her still healing and him not wanting to hurt her. Then there had been the mental scars.

She felt…ready. She definitely felt that pull toward him every time he kissed her but she wasn’t sure if she was ready for that step and he wasn’t pushing her in either direction either. She suspected that after the fiasco with her failed attempt at seducing him, he was afraid of pushing her before she was ready and ending with both of them disappointed again.

It was hard. They were both stuck in this limbo unsure of what to say or do, and it was driving her crazy. She missed him. It was frustrating. Clark had been doing extra patrols on nights Lucy was at class to make up for the nights she was there so as not to arouse suspicion. He was still buried in his files of Luthor trying to find the connection with the mysterious deaths plaguing Metropolis. She and Lucy were looking into Westminster and Lex’s history there. So far nothing concrete but she did have an interview set up with one of the headmasters. She hoped some light would be shed on his past.

“I don’t know.” Lois shrugged. “I guess do whatever you want.”

“Okay.” Lois nodded. “I think I’ll spend the night with Lacey tonight. We’re going to be studying for the test next week. It’ll be good. I can study. You and Clark can have some…alone time without the annoying sister in your hair.”

“You’re not annoying.” Lois smiled at her.

“Uh-huh.” Lucy nodded. “Thanks for the lie but I know better.” She glanced at the box Lois was struggling to grab, “You want some help with that?”

“Thanks.” Lois smiled handing it over to Lucy. “Jimmy’s case files. Clark wants to compare them with what we have on the mysterious deaths around Metropolis. See if there’s a connection.”

“I like the way Clark thinks.” Lucy grinned. “Maybe we can pin all of this on Luthor. Kill two birds with one stone.”

“Lex, I’m not sure I understand…” Dr. Kelly began to argue. “A bat? Flew you over the city…”

“Not just a bat. It was some….Batman…of sorts.” Lex brushed her off dismissively. “I want to get this operation up and running. How much longer before you can begin testing?”

“I’ve just about replicated the lightning.” Dr. Kelly said, motioning to the crystal tube in front of her. “Once I’ve got it perfected we should begin testing of the transfer.”

“Excellent. Once Superman’s powers have been transferred to me successfully we can begin Phase Three.”

“Which is?” Dr. Kelly asked.

“Take everything he cares about and make him suffer as I pluck every thing away from him one by one.” He took a long puff from his cigar. “When I’m through with him, he’ll wish death on himself ….and I’ll give it to him.”

Lois watched Clark as he poured over his notes. Here they were at seven o’clock at night alone and instead of taking advantage of the empty office ---or even an empty apartment—they were working. Lucy was starting her classes to take her investigator’s license, so they had three nights a week of uninterrupted time alone.

Dr. Young had encouraged her to take the steps out of her comfort zone and keep trying. It was hard. On one hand, she was scared of pushing the boundaries and repeating the situation they’d been faced with after her failed attempt at seducing him. On the other hand, she wanted to lock the office door and have Clark take her right on the desk she was perched on just as he had a little over a month ago. She felt a ripple run through her belly as she recalled how he’d felt pressed up against her as their lovemaking had been in such a frenzy he hadn’t even bothered to undress her completely.

“What are you working on?” She asked, toying with the hem of her skirt nervously.

“The Mayor’s press conference about the power surges going on this week,” Clark said, tapping his pen against the notepad he was reading from. “I don’t know. There’s just something about them that seems…”

“What?” Lois asked curiously, staring as his hand moved across the page at super-speed, jotting down more notes. She grinned shyly. It always amazed her to watch him do some of the most simple tasks with his powers.

He turned in his chair, “I’m not sure. Just something seems off about the power surges going on. Can’t put my finger on it.”

“It is the middle of the summer. Maybe not enough power to run the air conditioning?” Lois suggested. “We had that issue last year with the heat wave.”

“The nuclear reactor Luthor was boiling.” Clark corrected bitterly. “It was never a real heat wave.”

“Well, whatever it was,” She shrugged, “Maybe it’s related.”

“I guess.” He looked back at her, setting his notepad on the desk and turning to her. “Henderson said Detective Harris is being charged with evidence tampering.”

“That’s good, right?” Lois asked, watching as his muscles rippled beneath his shirt as he folded his hands behind him, leaning back in the chair. She really really wanted to touch him.

“Yeah, Constance can use it in Jimmy’s case. The arraignment’s scheduled for next month.” She looked down, reminded of the fate their friend was in. He sighed, leaning forward to take her hand in his, kissing the side of her palm, “If we can get Luthor brought down before the arraignment this case will fall part with it.”

“What if it doesn’t?” She whispered hoarsely. “We still don’t know who all is on Lex’s payroll.”

He stood up, walking toward her. He placed a hesitant hand on her cheek, and she heard him sigh in relief, holding the other side of her face, “We’re going to figure this all out. I promise.”

“I know. It’s just getting kinda scary.” She said softly, moving her hand, so she was covering his as it held her face.

“I know.” He rested his head against hers, “I really wish I could just take you home and kiss you all over…Make all of this go away.” He ran a hand down the length of her shoulders.

“I’m not stopping you.” She whispered, toying with the end of his tie.

“I don’t want to scare you.” He fingered the strands of her hair.

She looked down at her lap, pulling his hand down with her gaze. “I don’t want to be scared either, but…I don’t want you afraid to touch me either.”

“Then what do we do?” He asked.

“Tonight, we go back to the apartment, close the bedroom door and take advantage of the hour and a half we have of uninterrupted time together…” She ran a hand up his chest as she slipped her arms around his neck. “…and take it from there.”

Clark landed in his Superman suit on the ledge to the balcony of his apartment, leaning in to kiss Lois as he carried her inside, striding purposefully toward the bedroom. He set her down on the edge of the bed and she kicked her shoes off. With a quick spin and change, he reappeared in front of her in jeans and the black button down shirt she loved seeing him in so much.

She smiled her approval at the change of clothes, leaning forward as he knelt down, so he was eye level with her. He ran his hands down her shoulders, taking a seat next to her. She leaned in to kiss him, running her hand over his cheek as he kissed her back. His hands moved to cup both sides of her face, deepening the kiss.

She sighed against him as he leaned them back on the bed, rolling them on their sides, so they were facing each other. “I love you, Lois.” He whispered against her lips.

“I love you, Clark,” She ran her hand up and down his chest, fingering the top buttons of his shirt. His hands moved up and down her sides with a featherlight caress, kneading her sides as he tugged on her lips with his teeth.

He slowly broke off the kiss, resting his head against hers as he cupped her face, running his hands down both sides of her cheeks, “What do you want?”

“You,” She sighed shakily, fingering the top button of his shirt, “I really want you….I miss you so much, Clark,” She could feel tears burning the corners of her eyes.

He moved to cover her hand with his, meeting her gaze as he leaned in to kiss her again. His other hand moved to smooth his palm over the length of her leg and she sighed against the mattress.

“I miss you too, baby.” He murmured running his hands up the hem of her skirt.

Fuentes sighed as he took a puff of his cigarette, staring at the small farm he’d been sent to. Mr. Luthor wanted to know everything he could about the Kents. He looked around in disgust, uncertain how much information he’d be able to get in the drabby old town. He definitely didn’t fit in.

“I hate small towns.”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube