Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275698 06/07/17 01:58 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What if Lex Luthor thought himself a real philanthropist and an honest businessman, who (thought) he played by the rules of business, instead of seeing himself as a brilliant criminal mind?

Write a story where Lois and Clark, those meddling reporters, create so-called news stories to blacken Lex Luthor's good name. Who wins in the end?

RULES:
1) Lois and Clark (the Daily Planet, Perry White, and that photographer puppy that follows them around) are villains! Lex Luthor is a good guy and hero of this story!
2) The story must be from Lex's POV (and we know what an honest and fair narrator he is, representing all sides just as they deserve). Lex Luthor can do no wrong!
3) While Lex can romance Lois in an attempt to get her to charm her into submission, he cannot win her heart by the end.

LEX: What?! That's ludicrous! Of course I win the damsel's heart. Did you not read the first two rules? I'm the hero of this story! Mrs. Cox, call Bender; we're suing for slander.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 06/07/17 01:59 AM. Reason: clarification

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
laugh

Not gonna lie... this is essentially what I'm working on with my anti-verse. Although I assume you mean this in jest wink more like a perspective piece. I'd love to see it entirely from Lex's point of view! I'm always hooked by pieces that flip everything on its head! Never enough alt-u's. And Lex is a great character to experiment with.

After all, he only wanted to help all those people on the Prometheus to find all sorts of cures for diseases, help a young girl walk again... And finding Superman's limits-- purely humanitarian. It's a civic duty to find the alien's weaknesses, should the situation arise that he might turn on them. Even those ungrateful orphans, he was only trying to help out of a bad situation!

(...I may have been spending too much time in Lex Luthor's head lately...) cat

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
laugh

Not gonna lie... this is essentially what I'm working on with my anti-verse. Although I assume you mean this in jest wink more like a perspective piece. I'd love to see it entirely from Lex's point of view! I'm always hooked by pieces that flip everything on its head! Never enough alt-u's. And Lex is a great character to experiment with.

After all, he only wanted to help all those people on the Prometheus to find all sorts of cures for diseases, help a young girl walk again... And finding Superman's limits-- purely humanitarian. It's a civic duty to find the alien's weaknesses, should the situation arise that he might turn on them. Even those ungrateful orphans, he was only trying to help out of a bad situation!

Have you seen Batman vs. Superman? Luthor tries to present his interest in Superman as purely humanitarian.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
Lol yeah. It was an idea that could possibly have been good, except it was poorly written, shot, and executed. razz I don't really know why it's so hard for movies to get Luthor right. From his point of view, of course he'd think Superman is a villain. Like trask. But of course that doesn't excuse all the side villainy.

Controversial opinion time: Batman v Superman was actually not far from being a good movie. I feel like you could just rewrite all the scenes with more context and fix a lot of its holes. Except that Martha scene. And 90% of Batfleck.

But that's what fanfic is for I guess. laugh

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Not gonna lie... this is essentially what I'm working on with my anti-verse.
Sounds interesting.

Although I assume you mean this in jest wink more like a perspective piece. I'd love to see it entirely from Lex's point of view! I'm always hooked by pieces that flip everything on its head! Never enough alt-u's. And Lex is a great character to experiment with.
No. I meant a serious piece, where one wrote from Lex's or Trask's POV, explaining why Lois and Clark are really the villains. Trask didn't see himself as a villain, but as the hero with aliens are the villain. What if Lex thought in the same manner? What if he considered everything he did as within the law, even if it bent the law to his own advantage? How far would Lois and Clark go as reporters to prove that Lex is a criminal? How would Lex feel about that?

After all, he only wanted to help all those people on the Prometheus to find all sorts of cures for diseases, help a young girl walk again...
It could be argued...
And finding Superman's limits-- purely humanitarian.
It's a civic duty to find the alien's weaknesses, should the situation arise that he might turn on them.
To make sure that Superman didn't use it against humankind, of course.

Even those ungrateful orphans, he was only trying to help out of a bad situation!
He was trying to make them smarter! Duh!

lol You've got to watch out for that.

Controversial opinion time: Batman v Superman was actually not far from being a good movie. I feel like you could just rewrite all the scenes with more context and fix a lot of its holes. Except that Martha scene. And 90% of Batfleck.

But that's what fanfic is for I guess. laugh
I'd like to hear more about what you think about BvS, but let's move it over to another thread: BvS Fanfic Ideas

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
No. I meant a serious piece, where one wrote from Lex's or Trask's POV, explaining why Lois and Clark are really the villains. Trask didn't see himself as a villain, but as the hero with aliens are the villain. What if Lex thought in the same manner? What if he considered everything he did as within the law, even if it bent the law to his own advantage? How far would Lois and Clark go as reporters to prove that Lex is a criminal? How would Lex feel about that?

In that case, wish granted. wink Without giving away too many spoilers, the premise is that considering how many alternate universes there are out there, there's of course a universe where Clark is the villain, hellbent on bringing down Luthor, and Lex actually is the philanthropic humanitarian he pretends to be in the show. And of course, the chips fall where they may. grin

--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

In that case, wish granted. wink Without giving away too many spoilers, the premise is that considering how many alternate universes there are out there, there's of course a universe where Clark is the villain, hellbent on bringing down Luthor, and Lex actually is the philanthropic humanitarian he pretends to be in the show. And of course, the chips fall where they may. grin
Okay, FROM Lex's POV, he's the good guy, but the reader knows the truth... right? eek

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, except for those mentally disturbed people who claim to be doing the Lord of Evil's bidding (usually via voices in their heads) and those claim to be so above the normal rules that 'good' and 'evil' have no real meaning, most villians sincerely believe they are working on a side of 'right' and their victims deserved whatever for doing or being 'whatever' first. The fact that the rest of the world considers them monsters is irrelevant to their self and world view.

In fact, this is one of the gripes I have about the 'Dark Side of the Force' - Palpatine (and the Sith in general) actually accepted the Jedi's arguments that there WAS a 'wrong' and 'right' side to the Force when Palpatine should have been arguing that the Force had no 'sides' at all, intent was everything, and the Jedi were criminally negligent to teach otherwise.

So Luthor's general view of himself would be that he is so brilliant, rich, powerful as to be completely above the law and his brilliance in business made it obligatory for him to take over the crime element to 'give it direction and order'. And that fact that giving it direction and order made him even more rich and powerful merely proved his brilliance. (And all the 'bad' things he did were all in 'retaliation' for 'bad' things done to him - like not selling to him when he made a ridiculously low offer, etc.)

Last edited by Dandello; 06/14/17 09:23 AM.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Kerth
Kerth
Okay, FROM Lex's POV, he's the good guy, but the reader knows the truth... right? eek
Uhm... Sure. laugh Or maybe he actually is the good guy... I will say it's hard to keep a character like Lex from being a bad guy though. goofy

--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Dandello
most villians sincerely believe they are working on a side of 'right' and their victims deserved whatever for doing or being 'whatever' first. The fact that the rest of the world considers them monsters is irrelevant to their self and world view.

THIS. This is why I love writing from the perspective of a villain, or darker pieces, because it's fascinating to see how little it takes to push someone there, to that point where they cross the line in the name of vengeance or even self respect or the greater good.

So Luthor's general view of himself would be that he is so brilliant, rich, powerful as to be completely above the law and his brilliance in business made it obligatory for him to take over the crime element to 'give it direction and order'. And that fact that giving it direction and order made him even more rich and powerful merely proved his brilliance. (And all the 'bad' things he did were all in 'retaliation' for 'bad' things done to him - like not selling to him when he made a ridiculously low offer, etc.)

Love this characterization. I would add even that for Lex it's also a spirit of competition and arrogance that drives him. He wants to prove he is the best and brightest, that he can get away with increasingly more crazy challenges. It's the ultimate challenge, something to finally show he's an unparalleled genius, to best Superman, to run all the crime in Metropolis, and still get all the praise for being the good guy in public.

--Mark Twain
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Interesting.

I first read this challenge as one where Lex really is the good guy, and the Daily Planet is just a political/business tool whose ownership and employees are dedicated to defeating him while appearing to the casual person-on-the-street as the good guys. That's a story I'd like to read, and if my health were stable enough, I'd take on the challenge myself. Like Mouserocks, I like tackling alt-worlds and bending the characters to the breaking point.

I can see the Planet's setup now. For the most part, the reporters and middle management are honestly trying to report the news as it really is. But they're constantly thwarted by a small cadre of employees who slant everything touching Lex Luthor to present him as a really bad guy. There's room for a new character, too, or for bringing out a one-shot guest to be Luthor's pipeline into the newsroom. He or she would be in constant danger of exposure, and depending on how dedicated Lois and Clark et al are, might even be risking his or her life.

So many possibilities, so much pending angst, so much mistrust, so many super-powered ethical dilemmas. How far would bad Clark go to bring down Luthor? Would his moral touchstone (whoever or whatever that might be) allow him to intimidate, injure, or even kill someone? How would the spy hide from him? If Lex is a good guy, where would Nigel or Asabi fit in? Would Lex have access to Kryptonite? If so, how would he use it against Clark's Kryptonian alter ego? Or would Clark hide his abilities from the general public altogether?

Hurry up and write this, Mouserocks! My plot bunny in-basket is full!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
There's room for a new character, too, or for bringing out a one-shot guest to be Luthor's pipeline into the newsroom.

I just thought of a horrendous alt-universe: The person in Terry's scenario could be Ralph.

<Shudder>,
Lynn

p.s., Terry, I hope your health improves soon.

Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
I first read this challenge as one where Lex really is the good guy, and the Daily Planet is just a political/business tool whose ownership and employees are dedicated to defeating him while appearing to the casual person-on-the-street as the good guys. That's a story I'd like to read, and if my health were stable enough, I'd take on the challenge myself. Like Mouserocks, I like tackling alt-worlds and bending the characters to the breaking point.
Yay! Another crazy dissenter like me. jump I would absolutely still like to see your version though, maybe in an evil little ficlet. *nudgenudge*

I can see the Planet's setup now. For the most part, the reporters and middle management are honestly trying to report the news as it really is. But they're constantly thwarted by a small cadre of employees who slant everything touching Lex Luthor to present him as a really bad guy. There's room for a new character, too, or for bringing out a one-shot guest to be Luthor's pipeline into the newsroom. He or she would be in constant danger of exposure, and depending on how dedicated Lois and Clark et al are, might even be risking his or her life.
I really like this setup, particularly Lex having a man(sic) on the inside.

So many possibilities, so much pending angst, so much mistrust, so many super-powered ethical dilemmas. How far would bad Clark go to bring down Luthor? Would his moral touchstone (whoever or whatever that might be) allow him to intimidate, injure, or even kill someone? How would the spy hide from him? If Lex is a good guy, where would Nigel or Asabi fit in? Would Lex have access to Kryptonite? If so, how would he use it against Clark's Kryptonian alter ego? Or would Clark hide his abilities from the general public altogether?
So many questions, so little answers.... mwahahahaha devil

Hurry up and write this, Mouserocks! My plot bunny in-basket is full!
Working on it!! 43 chapters and counting (help me ahhhhhhhhhhh) shock

--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I just thought of a horrendous alt-universe: The person in Terry's scenario could be Ralph.

<Shudder>

rotflol I don't know if there's any universe where Ralph isn't a sleazeball. rotflol

--Mark Twain

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard