Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 27

A/N: This part contains graphic description of violence. TRIGGER WARNING

Lucy watched as Lois continued to make call after call inquiring about any family members that could be related to the mysterious man that had gained super powers. Clark still hadn’t returned, and she hadn’t said anything. It was clear finding the new superhero was important, but she couldn’t tell if it was important because it was a story or because there was something he might know that could endanger Clark’s identity.

After taking some time to reflect over the weekend and burying herself in research on Jimmy’s dad, she’d become even more convinced that Clark was Superman. She still didn’t know how to explain him being injured in Smallville but she assumed she would find out one day.

There was no denying it. Lois Lane was head over heels in love with Clark. There was no way she would cheat on him. So the only explanation for what she’d witnessed the other night and what she’d been privy to over the past few weeks was Clark and Superman were the same.

For now, she would remain quiet while she decided what to do with the information. Clark kept his identity hidden from the world for a reason. He’d saved both herself and her sister countless times. She wouldn’t repay him with betrayal.

The next afternoon, Clark walked with Lois down Eighth Avenue, eying the sketchy neighborhood warily, remind me why we’re doing this in person?”

“Well, my contact at the Dermal Emporium recognized that sketch as belonging to the ‘dermal artiste’ Allegra Vennum. Her place is just down here.” She pointed at the building at the end of the street with a couple of bikers in front of it.

“Of course it is.” He muttered under his breath.

Lois looked back at him with a smile, taking his hand in hers, “You ever been?”

“Been?”

“To a tattoo parlor?” She pressed with a grin.

He laughed, “Think about it Lois why would I ever go to a tattoo parlor?”

“Well, you said yourself you weren’t always invulnerable.” She gave him a flirtatious wink, “Never got talked into it during high school just to see?”

He grinned back at her, “No, have you?”

“Once.” She admitted. “My friend Molly from college wanted to get matching tattoos with her boyfriend, Ryan. Somehow I got talked into coming for moral support.”

He gave a light chuckle, “I’m sure you were a very good companion.”

“Lucy wanted me to talk her into getting bones and skulls tattooed on her.” Lois laughed letting out a soft sigh, “I just couldn’t do it.”

“You know speaking of Lucy,” Clark began hesitantly, “What’s been up with her lately?”

“What do you mean?” Lois asked, not sure what he meant.

“I don’t know. Something just seems…off. I know we’re all stressed, but this is different. She seems more intuitive…asking more questions. Have you noticed that?”

Lois pursed her lips for a moment, trying to recall her conversations over the past few days with her sister. She seemed to be mulling things over before she spoke, “Now that you mention it, I guess it is kinda odd. She didn’t even ask where you were during the oil spill when we were Smallville which I was grateful for at the moment but now…”

“Now what?” He pressed, not sure if he wanted to know the answer.

“It makes me wonder if she might suspect something,” Lois said softly, motioning with the flying symbol they used for Superman.

“How would she?” He wondered aloud.

“I don’t know,” Lois shrugged. “She’s always been pretty bright. Maybe she noticed something in all the chaos over the past few weeks.”

“Should we ask her?”

Lois shrugged, “It’s up to you,” They stopped a few feet away from where the bikers were sitting outside. She lowered her voice, turning to face him, “With everything else we’ve been dealing with is that really something you want to confront right now?”

“I don’t know. I guess I just want to know.”

“What if she doesn’t know? You risk her finding out if you confront her.” She pointed out.

He sighed, realizing she was right, “Do you think she knows?”

“Honestly, I don’t know.” Lois admitted, “but if she does know she’ll say something eventually.” She grew thoughtful for a moment.

A thousand questions raced through his mind as the reality of the situation began to sink in. If Lucy knew what would happen? Would he be able to trust her? What if she let it slip to someone? What if…

“Hey,” She squeezed his hand, “You can trust her. You know that right? She might be a little free spirted, but the one thing she values above anything is friendship and trust. She’d never tell anyone…if she knew.”

“I hope you’re right.” He released a breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding. “Maybe I should wait till this is all over and try to talk to her then?”

Lois nodded, taking his hand in hers as he pulled him toward the shop titled, ‘Allegra Venum’s Dermal Emporium.'

Monique looked around the office she was in nervously, “What’s this about?”

“Protection.” Bill Henderson said, taking a seat across from her between two other women she didn’t recognize.

“What kind of protection?”

The first woman with blonde hair and a gray suit interjected, “Your protection. We need to know what it would take for you to testify.”

“I told you before I’m not doing that.” She hissed. “You saw what happened before. It fell apart. He has deep pockets and connections everywhere. It won’t matter what you do. He’ll find me and come after me. I have a family now. I can’t risk …”

“We understand that,” Henderson reached across the table to place a hand over hers. “Believe me we do. I’ve lived your fear. All of us have.” He glanced between the two women. “You can’t continue to live in fear any more than we can continue to let him corrupt our justice system. An innocent kid is going to go to prison for a very long time if we don’t do something.”

“He’ll just send his goons out once he’s locked up. You can’t stop him.” Monique snapped irritably.

“We can if we know the names of the goons and lock them up with him.” The other woman interjected, handing her her card, “I’m Agent Woods with the FBI. You know Inspector Henderson and this is the DA that is willing to build a case against the boss, Mayson Drake. So are you going to keep giving us reasons why we can’t do this or help us find ways we can. We’ve already started building our case on testimony from informants and lower lieutenants on his payroll. You’re not alone.”

Monique looked between the three of them, “There are others? How many others?”

Lois kept a possessive hand around Clark’s waist as they interviewed Allegra Vennum who seemed more interested in sizing Clark up like a piece of meat. Lois pointed to the tattoo on the wall, “Did you design this?”

Allegra seemed oblivious to her question, circling Clark’s other side, “It would look fabulous on you.” Her tone was sultry as she whispered, “You have such a nice…” Lois’ eyes narrowed when she saw Allegra eye Clark’s rear end without any shame. “…body.” Clark shifted uncomfortably, placing an arm around Lois’ waist as she continued, “Hard and smooth. Like polished steel.”

Lois pointed to the design once more, doing her best to remain professional as she reminded herself over and over again that they would get more information with honey rather than vinegar. “Ms. Vennum, if we could get back to the story. Maybe a little less…” She sharpened her tone as she narrowed her eyes, “Eying my partner and a little more information?” Allegra frowned but seemed to stop circling Clark who readjusted his glasses, tightening his arm around Lois, “Did you do this tattoo?”

“Dermal design.” She corrected.

“Yes. Dermal design.” Lois chuckled with a forced smile she thought would split her face in half. “Dermal design. Little guy with a Southern Accent?”

“It would have been on the back of the left hand,” Clark added.

Allegra scrunched her nose up, “Yeah, I hate it when I have clients put my work in such small areas.” She eyed Clark’s chest longingly, “I really love working on a big canvas.”

Lois cleared her throat, pulling her back to the present and Lois pointed at the design once more, “This one?”

Allegra sighed, “Yes, a little guy with a Southern accent.”

“Do you remember his name?” Lois asked. “Might have been a last name of Waldecker?”

“Names? You want me to remember names?” She asked, baffled at the thought.

“Do you keep records?” Clark asked.

“Do I keep records?” She echoed, motioning for them to follow her toward the office.

Inside she sat at the desk, sifting through a plastic bin of diskettes until she found the one she was looking for. “Ah-ha!” She put it in the computer and smiled, “It’ll just take a sec.”

After a few minutes and a few keystrokes, she scanned the directory, “White, Wallace, Winslow, Waldecker!” She printed the record out, “William Wallace Webster Waldecker.”

“That’s a lot of ‘W’s Lois commented.

“Don’t ask him about it. Trust me.” Allegra made a face before turning to open the door to the office for them to exit.

Later that evening, back at Lois’ apartment, Lucy was camped out on the couch going through the case files on Jimmy. Lois and Clark were sitting at the dining table, finishing up dinner and going through everything they’d found out that day on William Waldecker. Lois poked a fork in her pasta, twirling it as she read off her notes, “William Wallace Webster Waldecker. Not married. Both parents are dead.”

“One sister. Wandamae.” Clark added. “Kinda sad.”

Lois nodded her agreement, taking a bite of her pasta, “Was there anything he said the other night that might give you a hint as to where we might find him?”

Clark shook his head, taking a bit off his own plate, “Nothing more than what we found out. The family moved here from Little Big Holler, Tennessee 25 years ago.” He sighed, “He wasn’t exactly in a sharing and caring mood the other night, Lois.”

“Well, we have a name.” Lois reasoned. “Maybe we can talk to the sister?”

He grimaced shaking his head, “Lois she’s in a mental institution. I doubt any information we get from her wold be reliable.”

“Well then what do you suggest?” Lois asked.

“You could call this number.” Lucy pointed toward the television, turning the volume up.

“What number?” Clark asked, standing up from the table to walk toward the television with Lois.

The screen showed the new superhero now branded with an ‘R’ on his chest. The announcer read off the advertisement speel, “In trouble? Need help no mere mortal can provide? Call Resplendent Man. Instant service, reasonable rates.”

Lucy pulled out her phone to dial, and Lois stopped her, “What are you doing?”

“Calling him. See if he shows.”

“Better pull out your checkbook.” Clark pointed at the screen which showed the number, ‘1-900-0-1-RES-Q-U.’ In small print beneath that: $3.98 for the first 15 seconds.

“Look, he even charges for the call.” Lois scoffed. “How greedy can you get?”

Lucy put her phone on speaker, “You have reached the voicemail of Resplendent Man. If your situation is a bona fide emergency press 1; if you can wait a little while, press 2; if you’d like to join the Resplendent Man Fan Club for a really teeny-tiny nominal fee press 3; if you…”

Lucy clicked the end button. “What an ogre.”

Clark’s face tensed and Lois recognized the look on his face, “Um, Clark, do you think you could run down and grab some more cream soda? I drank the last one.”

He smiled, grateful for the excuse and left. Lucy smiled and turned to Lois, not saying anything about Clark’s exit. “So Lethal Weapon’s on. You feel like a Mel Brooks marathon?” She rolled her eyes, “I’m in need of some serious distraction right now.”

Lois smiled, taking a seat next to her, “Sure.”

Tommy Garrison stepped out of his cab, heading up toward his apartment when he spotted a familiar man in a black suit approaching him, “I got nothing to say to you.” He shot back over his shoulder.

“Mr. Garrison, we just want to help.”

“Then leave me alone, huh?” He snapped. “I was doing fine till you came around.”

“You’re hustling and gambling for the boss. You call that fine?” Davenport asked, grabbing him by the collar, “What happened to you, huh? You were the greatest prize fighter. Challenging Superman in the ring then what happened?”

“Superman destroyed my career! The boss is helping me.”

“No, the boss is taking advantage of you. You destroyed your career by choosing to cheat. You chose to have that operation again and again and again.” Davenport spat. “Where’s your morals, Garrison? Greatest prize fighter caught in the biggest scandal in sporting history and look where you are now? You’re angry? Good. Be angry, but make sure you’re directing it at the right person.”

“Who? You?” Garrison scoffed.

“No, the boss,” Davenport shot back. “He’s the one that did this to you. Put you in this predicament. Make him pay.”

Lucy watched Lois from across the sofa sipping her coffee. She’d been reeling for the last few days with so many questions, and she still wasn’t sure what to think about the latest revelation. Clark Kent was Superman. Her sister was dating Superman. She must have sounded so idiotic when she’d been comparing the two over dinner with their mom. No wonder he knew where to get the best food because he could fly around the world in a few minutes.

“What?” Lois asked, defensively looking around.

“Nothing.” Lucy shrugged with a smile, “I was just thinking this is nice. Us working together. I feel like I’m finally getting a chance to see why you do what you do. Why you fight so hard…Put yourself at risk the way you do. You’re trying to get to the truth. I get that.”

It was the truth she did enjoy working with Lois…and Clark. The more time she spent with the two of them, the more she saw the similarities between the superhero and Clark Kent and the more she saw what Lois saw in him. He was a genuinely good guy who happened to spend his spare time stopping asteroids and lifting rockets into space.

Lois smiled, turning on the couch to face her sister, “It has been nice spending this time with you.” She sighed, fingering the stray thread on her blouse before adding, “Thinking of making a jump from Psychology to Journalism?”

Lucy cringed, “No, I don’t think I’d go that far. I may look at getting my Investigator license. Freelance with the DA’s office or a reputable law firm? I kinda like digging into these cases like this and finding what the police investigators missed.”

“Or you could be a police investigator.” Lois pointed out, setting her coffee mug on the table.

“True.” Lucy reasoned. “I would have to cancel my internship with Metropolis Family and Children Services.”

“I guess it depends on what you want to do more.” Lois reasoned. “Help those wrongly convicted or looking at hard time or help children that have been through hell and back?”

Lucy smiled sadly, “Can’t I do both?”

“I’m sure there’s a way,” Lois smiled warmly back at her sister.

“When did you get so optimistic?” Lucy teased.

“I think that’s Clark’s influence. He’s rubbing off on me.” Lois admitted shyly.

“I’ll say.” Lucy teased, “but in a good way.” She pursed her lips for a moment before adding, “You both seem…happy. He’s spent the night a few nights, and you’ve spent the night at his place. Things are getting serious, huh?”

“Yeah,” Lois smiled ear to ear, “Very.”

“Thinking about…wedding bells?” Lucy edged cautiously.

“Maybe,” Lois giggled, and Lucy eyed her sister cautiously curious what her answer was or if there even was an answer. Had she even discussed these things with Clark yet? “I love him, Luce. I know he loves me. For now, that’s enough. Trying to sort through the other stuff…we don’t have the time right now and honestly figuring that out amidst Jimmy’s case wouldn’t be fair to Jimmy or to us.”

“Have you talked about it?” Lois shook her head shyly, and Lucy pressed, “Then how do you know?”

“You mean aside from the fact that he’s practically moved in to keep an eye on both of us?” Lois teased. Lucy smirked at her, and she sighed, “Some things may have slipped that night we were drinking. He hinted at some things.” She smiled, “We haven’t talked about it. I’m trying not to bring it up, but it’s driving me crazy.” She laughed, “I’m not good at sitting on information.”

Lucy knew all too well about Lois’ inability to sit on a good story or not press an issue. It amazed her that her sister was actually not pressing something this important. She said Clark had let something slip the night they were drinking. How ironic that she’d begun to suspect something that night too.

“So, if he asked you to be his tomorrow what would you say?” Lucy asked, looking at Lois curiously.

“I…” She sighed happily, “I’d say ‘yes.’” She admitted shyly.

The corners of Lucy’s mouth twitched into a broad smile, “No second thoughts?”

Lois shook her head, and Lucy smiled. “Good. Because I’ve kinda gotten used to having him around to cook meals. I have lost a few inches from not eating out so much,” She pointed to her waist, “I’d hate to have to gain it all back because you choke.”

Lois took the pillow on the sofa and hit her with it, “Choke? Really, Luce??”

“Well, what would you call it?” Lucy teased in laughter. “I do have one request though, could you keep it down a little. You two are LOUD.” Lucy watched as Lois’ cheeks both burned red with embarrassment as she continued. “I mean, what are you doing rearranging furniture in there? I used to think Lacey was bad…”

“Okay, okay, can we stop having this conversation now?” Lois said, burying her face in her hands.

Lucy looked over at her, “It’s nothing to be ashamed about. You have a love life. A thriving and active love life. Just remember some of us like to sleep before one in the morning.” Lucy patted her on the shoulder with a grin.

“I’ll try to remember that.” Was all Lois could manage to say as she watched Lucy gather the coffee mugs and take them into the kitchen. She scanned the forgotten file boxes in the corner she’d been going through earlier. “I’m going to go put these up. Make some walking room in here.”

Lucy nodded, rinsing the mugs out as Lois carried the package of pictures toward the bedroom. “I’m going to make some more coffee…” She heard a knock at the door and sighed, “…after I answer the door.”

Lois laughed from the bedroom, “Always something.”

Lucy chuckled, “You have no….” She stopped when she saw Lex Luthor standing on the other side of the door, “idea.”

“Ms. Lane,” Lex crooned tightly, “Always a pleasure.” He attempted to step into the apartment and Lucy slammed the door against him.

“That was a mistake,” He replied coolly as the door hit his hand where he had blocked it from closing.

“Lois!!!”

Lois heard a loud crash and what sounded like a whimper from her sister and bolted out of the bedroom, “Luce??”

She stopped cold in her tracks when she saw Lucy on the floor of the living room with blood covering her right temple. She saw Lex standing over her with a pistol aimed toward her sister. “Lex,” She breathed. “What did you do??”

“Oh, your sister and I had a disagreement. She’ll be fine once she gets medical treatment…” He said casually, waving the pistol around the room.

She raced for the phone to call an ambulance only to have the cold barrel of his gun pointed under her chin as his bony fingertips ran down the front of her blazer. His breath reeked of old scotch as he whispered in her ear, “Now you know it’s not that simple my darling.”

“Lex, please,” She whimpered against him tearfully, “She’s hurt.”

She tensed up as his mouth pressed against her neck, “Oh, Lois, darling, I’ve missed you so terribly.” He breathed in her ear, tugging on the button to her blazer. Panic ran through her mind as he pressed himself against her whispering, “It’s time you and I had a nice long chat about your latest lover. I’m not one to share.”

After stopping the out of control car from hitting the bridge and ensuring the driver arrived at the hospital safely, Clark decided to take a patrol around the city to see if he could find this Resplendent Man and have a few words with him.

It didn’t take long to find him.

On the roof of Luthor Towers, x-raying the locker room of the Metro Gym across the street from it. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Clark muttered.

Realizing he was aimed at the Women’s Locker Room Clark decided to take action before anyone’s dignity became compromised. “Whoo hoo hoo, take it off, girls…” Resplendent Man cheered.

Crossing his arms over his chest and lowering himself to where he was blocking Resplendent Man’s view completely Clark cleared his throat in an attempt to make his presence known as he stared the man down.

“Do you mind?” Resplendent Man scoffed, throwing his arms up in the air.

“Actually, I do mind,” Clark growled, glaring at him angrily. “I have tried to be patient. I’ve tried to be understanding…”

He scoffed, waving Clark off. “Get a grip here. Do I tell you what to do? No, I do not. I would appreciate the same courtesy from you.”

Clark let out a long breath, fighting the urge to throw this man into the next galaxy. “You will take this to heart. You will memorize it; you live by it: The strong do not exploit the weak. The powerful do not attack the defenseless, and you do NOT use your x-ray vision to spay on women in a locker room!”

He met his eyes for a moment before brushing him off once more, “Oh, puh-leeze! What planet are you from? Try to grasp this; it is not a tough concept: You may not like what I do, but there isn’t a blessed thing you can do about it.” With that, he flew off into the night.

Clark let out a frustrated growl, heading back to Lois’ apartment. “Great.”

“Help!!!! Cl…” The sound of Lois’ cry for help reached his ears, and he skyrocketed toward her apartment as fast as he could move.

‘Lois.'

Lois turned to face Lex accusingly, “What did you do to her?”

“That’s of no concern right now,” He grabbed her, pulling her to him as he hissed in her ear, “I know what you’ve been doing Lois. I know everything.”

All nerves went on edge as she felt his fingertips slip up the front of her blouse, fingering the silk buttons with intrigue. “Get your hands ….off of me.” She struggled to free herself from his grasp.

“You know, I really don’t take being ordered around very well, Lois.” He tightened his grasp on her arm, pulling the pistol up and pressing the barrel against her neck, “It seems you’ve gotten to know everyone’s superhero quite well. Every woman’s dream I suppose,” The barrel pressed hard against her throat as he hissed in her ear, “It seems I underestimated you.”

The soft moan of her sister from across the room reminded her of how time was of the essence even if Lex seemed oblivious to that at the moment. “Lex… let her go….Please,”

“Ah, ah, ah,” He warned,the cold barrel of the pistol moved between her legs, nudging them apart as he whispered in her ear, “I know all about your secrets, Lois. I’ve been watching for months as you let Kent woo you while you tossed me aside. “ She did her best to suppress the urge to throw up. As long as he was distracted she had the upper hand. She eyed the door across the room, a few feet away from where Lucy was lying. If she could just… The top button of her blouse came undone and he pushed the fabric apart, tracing the outline of her newly exposed bust with the edge of the cold barrel.

“You’re sick.” She spat out vemenously,“I told you to stay the hell away from me.”

“There you go making orders again, Lois, Lest you forget who is in control here? ” He ran the pistol against the fabric of her blouse, pushing the fabric further apart, revealing the blue and black corset she’d bought for Clark as a surprise. “I see you certainly didn’t disappoint.”

She cringed moving slowly toward the door with his hands exploring her soft curves with a pistol pressed against her. She felt his hot breath on the nape of her neck and whimpered, “Please, let her go, Lex,”

“Say it again.” He ordered, running the barrel of the gun against her neck, licking the side of her neck as he did so.

She let out a frustrated growl before repeating herself again, “Please, Lex let her go.”

“Much better.” He cheered, setting the pistol down on the shelf behind him, reaching up to grab her jaw to look at him, “See? As long as you play along no one will get hurt.”

“Play along?” Lois asked in revulsion, pulling her blouse together to regain some sort of dignity with the threat of the pistol gone. She felt the knob of the front door behind her and sighed in relief knowing freedom wasn’t far away, “You attacked my sister…” She hissed angrily.

One by one she worked on unlocking the locks behind her.His grip tightened on her, “This can go easy or hard on you, Lois. Either way, I’m not leaving here till I get what I want.” He smoothed the side of her face as he hissed in her ear, moving his hand to her throat.

“What is it you want?” She hissed back, “I already told you…”

His grip tightened around her throat, and he hissed, “Stop giving orders, Lois, you are in no predicament to be telling me what to do.”

One more lock then the chain and she would be home free. She cringed as she felt him press himself against her. ‘Don’t panic. Don’t panic.’ She told herself.

“I never would have thought the great Lois Lane would hold back. Who would have thought after all the corruption scandals and exposes it would take an alien in a cape for you to corrupt your morals.” He fingered the open flap of her blouse possessively, “I know.” He hissed in her ear.

Her blood ran cold as he pressed her against the door, keeping a firm grasp on her throat, “Oh, that’s right I know all about your affair with Superman. What I can’t seem to figure out….”

‘No,’ She struggled against him trying to calm her nerves and the panic rising in the pit of her stomach.

“You’re out of your mind.” She hissed, struggling in his grasp, trying to gain just enough leverage against the door so she could push him off of her.

“You’re going to tell me everything you know about Superman.” He hissed in her ear. “I know you know. I watched you spread your legs for him…so willingly.” His face scowled in disgust.

‘What did he just say? He had been watching? Affair with Superman?’ He had been watching her and Clark? All nerves went on alert as she struggled against him.

“You’re going to tell me his secret identity…”

‘He doesn’t know.’

“What are you talking about?” She hissed against him, “You’re insane.”

“Give me a name.” He ordered, tightening his grasp on her throat.

“Go to hell!” She snapped, turning to unlock the chain

“No, I AM in control here! ME!!!” He hissed back at her, grabbing her by the throat and shaking her, “You are going to tell me…one way or another!” The smell of old scotch hung in the air as he hissed at her, “Nine months of being patient and you give it up for….KENT…” She cringed as he licked her ear whispering, “Really, Lois? He’s so beneath you….Tell me something, who excited you more, hmm? Kent or Superman?”

Her blood ran cold as the reality of his words hit her. He’d been watching her. Watching her and Clark…and Superman. How?

“Give…me…his ….name!”

“I’m not telling you anything you monster!” She spat in his face, lifting her right leg into a swift kick between his legs, delivering a hard blow to his crotch. He released his grasp on her, doubling over in pain.

“Oh! You little b----!” He groaned in agony.

She swung the door open and headed straight toward her neighbor, Mrs. Myers across the hall, banging on the door frantically. She had to get an ambulance here to help Lucy. She had to get her help. “Help!!! Cl…”

The door opened, and Mrs. Myers looked at her in concern, “My dear, what happened?”

“My sister’s…been attacked….call the police….ask for…Henderson….” She said in between ragged breaths.

The elderly woman started to open the door all the way to let her in when her eyes widened, and she warned, “Get inside now!!!!”

Lois turned to see Lex advancing toward her with a look of rage on his face. Knowing there was no way to get inside her neighbor’s apartment without putting her in danger too. She did the only thing she could think of to do. “Help!!!!”[i/]

She winced as she felt the hard blow to the back of her head, “You are going to pay for that, Lois,” She could feel her abdomen tighten as Lex’s hand clamped over her throat, tightening and causing her vocal cords to stiffen. He pushed her back toward her apartment.

“Get ….your ….hands….off of me!” She spat.

“You don’t leave…until…I….tell you….to ….leave…” He slammed the door shut, pinning her against it with one hand on her wrists, the other on her throat and his body pressed against her thighs, effectively pinning her in place. “I would have given you everything….” His grip tightened on her, “EVERYTHING.”

“Cl…” She attempted to cry out but found her vocal cords unwilling to cooperate.

“What do you think [i]Kent
is going to do?” He mocked, “Don’t you understand I could commit murder in the middle of the streets in this city and get away with it…Lex Luthor is a name that means something….and you….You think you can betray me and not suffer the consequences?”

She grimaced as he pressed himself against her. She struggled against him, but she couldn’t move her arms or her legs from the hold he had on her... The more she struggled, the tighter his grasp became. She opened her mouth to scream, but nothing came out.

‘No.’

“I saw you take him in your bed, Lois. Spread your legs so willingly for that alien.” He hissed in her ear as she struggled against him. “Who is he? I know he has a secret identity. There is no other explanation. The globe messages talked of an infant coming to Earth…” His grasp loosened on her throat as he ran his hot breath hit her ear, tugging at her refastened blouse, “Give me his name!”

She hocked a spit wad at his face, “Drop dead!”

He released his grasp on her wrists to wipe the spit off his face, and she took advantage of his distraction, propelling her left leg toward the back of his knees to knock him off balance.

‘Weapon.’ She needed a weapon. Recalling the rifle her grandfather had left her she raced toward the kitchen where the storage closet was only to be stopped by Lex grabbing her from behind.

“How dare you????” He fumed angrily, lifting her off the ground in his rage as he carried her back into the living room. She lifted her feet up to try to kick him only to find herself kicking air as he hissed, “I am Lex Luthor…I am GOD…” He threw her toward the couch, hitting the edge of the coffee table with a thud.

She winced as she began to see spots. He advanced toward her in a rage. She reached behind her, feeling her purse from where it had fallen in her collision with the table. Recalling the items she’d stored in there for self-defense she began digging through the leather purse frantically as she backed away from him.

Where was it?

He squatted down next to her, grabbing her by the jaw and forcing her to look at him as he tossed the purse to the side, “Give me that name!”

“Rot in hell!” She spat back through gritted teeth.

He slammed her head against the floor, gripping her by the back of her hair. She reached out to find anything she could use against him, feeling woozy as he struck her again. “You will tell me!” He raged.

‘Clark, where are you??’

Her hand closed over a small metal object, recalling the feel of the switchblade she’d kept in there for protection. She tightened her jaw, “Get ….off of …me….you bastard!”

The derogatory term was met with a slap across the face. She winced as she felt the blow but smiled inside when she felt his grasp on her loosen against her. She flipped the switchblade open, eying his upper thigh and recalling what her grandfather had told her many years ago.

<<“Right in the inner thigh. Twist it, so the wound doesn’t close. He’ll never be able to get it up again.”>>

“Let go…of …me…” She spat, balling her fist over the blade as she felt his coarse lips against her ear once more.

“Who is he???? Give me his name!!!” He slammed her against the floor once more, but she was able to stiffen her neck muscles enough to brace herself so as not to hit the floor as hard as before.

‘Come on Clark where are you?’

“Rot in hell, you sociopath!” With that she reached up, stabbing his inner thigh and twisting it for good measure, pushing him off of her and rolling toward the door to get away. A shiny object glistened from the corner of her eye.

‘The pistol.’

She headed toward the bookshelf to grab it. Lex’s hands grabbed her from behind, pressing her against the wall with a hard shove as he taunted her, “You’re going to pay dearly for that one, Lois. I’ve trained with the masters for years do you really think you can stop me with a flimsy switchblade??” He threw her into the bookshelf causing the contents to fall on top of her. She backed away from him, edging toward the door as he came down ontop of her.

“Get off of me you monster!!!” She struggled against him, trying to find the leverage she needed to escape his grasp. She felt behind her, looking for anything she could use. His hand closed over her throat as he brought the bloody blade up for her to see, brushing it against her collarbone, wiping the blood from it on her and licking it off. Then she felt it. The cold hard metal of the Swiss and Wesson in her hand and smiled.

“Get….off of me!” She hissed against him, cocking the trigger and pointing the barrel at his throat. His grasp around her neck, loosened as he released her, backing off of her as she stood to her feet, keeping the aim trained on him.

“You wouldn’t dare…” He growled.

‘Come on Clark where are you?’

“Try me!” Lois kept her aim on him, looking around the room. Lucy. Where’s Lucy? She heard a gun cock and looked to the side seeing Lucy standing with their grandfather’s old 1866 Winchester Rifle. It was a collector’s item. Not loaded, but Lex didn’t know it.

“Get the hell away from my sister now!” Lucy bloody and bruised held their grandfather’s rifle aimed at Lex’s head. “You think I’m playing?” She asked when he didn’t move, “I will blow you into the next century and not think twice about it! Don’t test me!”

“Easy,” He said with a suspenseful calm. “Let’s not do anything rash.” He slowly rose to his feet.

“Lois, are you okay?” Lucy asked, not taking her eyes off Lex as he eased himself to a standing position with both hands up. She positioned herself between Lois and Lex.

Lois smirked to herself, feeling the adrenaline that had been pumping through her dissipate as she fell into a coughing fit. She set the pistol down on the ground in front of her as she tried to catch her breath. “Cl…” She whimpered out as she coughed for air, trying to find her voice again.

Lex’s eyes narrowed at her, “Not even a call for your favorite superhero?” You try to call for Kent? What do you think he’s going to do?” He laughed.

“Plenty!” a familiar voice said, from behind them, grabbing Lex by the collar and hoisting him up, slamming him against the open door frame, “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you!”

Lois gasped for air, rolling on her side as she coughed frantically. “Cla…”

“Luce, are you and Lois okay?” Clark asked, not taking his eyes off Lex, holding him firmly in his grasp.

“I think so.” Lucy set the rifle down and knelt down next to Lois, “Just breathe. In and out. I’ve got you.”

She helped Lois fasten the buttons to her blouse that had come undone in the struggle. Lois mouthed a silent ‘thank you’ to her sister.

“I stabbed ….him.” She stammered out. “He kept …”

“It’s okay.” Lucy breathed, holding her close. Lois felt the warm tears from her sister’s cheeks hit her hair, “Oh, Lucy I thought…”

“I know. I’m sorry.” She whispered in her ear, “I faked losing consciousness. I’m fine.” Lois turned to look at her in shock, uncertain what she’d heard or what she knew.

“Is she okay?” Clark asked over his shoulder, not taking his eyes off of Lex for a moment.

“She’s really banged up,” Lucy said, running a hand over the back of her head.

“Ah!” Lois cried out in pain.

“I’m sorry.” Lucy held her close. “I’m right here. It’s okay. You’re safe.”

“You sick bastard…” Clark raged, slamming him against the bookcase before hoisting him up and pinning him to the wall Lex had held her at just minutes ago, “If you so much as breathe in her direction again I will hunt you down and make you wish you were never born!” Lex struggled against Clark who held him firmly against the wall. The sound of sirens outside could be heard, and Clark narrowed his eyes at Lex, “The police are on their way.” Lex chuckled sending a chill down her spine. Clark tightened his grasp on Lex as he hissed, “Mind letting me in on the joke?”

“The joke is you, Kent. Do you really think your police aren’t being paid by LexCorp? Or your Governor isn’t having his campaign fund filled by LexPower’s donation fund? Every official. Every judge owes me a favor.” He chuckled, “You think they’ll turn their back on me for a…” He scoffed looking at Clark, “reporter? Tsk tsk tsk. No, here’s what’s going to happen. Your police as you call them will file a report which will be lost. No arrest will be made…and I’ll be back to finish what I started…”

Clark tightened his grasp on Lex, “I don’t think you understand. You coming near Lois or Lucy ever again is out of the question. You hurt them. I will hurt you.” Lex struggled against Clark as he tightened his grasp on him, “You want someone to pick on; someone smaller and weaker than you? You seem to think I’m all of those things. So go ahead, take your best shot.” He dared him, “But if you come near Lois again I will make sure you feel pain in places you never even thought could bleed.”

Lex laughed, “Be careful what you wish for, Kent,”

Lois shuddered against Lucy, uncertain what Lex meant by that. She didn’t have a chance to ponder it too long though. Bill Henderson entered the doorway of her apartment with a group of female officers and another fellow detective she recognized, Betty Reed.

“Close the stairwell off. Nobody comes in or out. Survey the neighbors. I want statements from everyone on what they overheard.” Henderson turned to Clark, “Kent, let him go.”

“Not unless you’re planning on tossing him into the nearest sewer and sealing the exits.” Clark snapped, tightening his grasp on Lex with a scowl.

“That’ll never happen, Kent.” Lex shot back, “What are you going to do? Kill me? You don’t have it in you.”

“Kent, don’t do anything stupid,” Henderson warned.

Lois watched as Clark’s grip tightened on Lex for a moment. He seemed to be debating whether to release him or not before throwing him to the ground in disgust. “Come near Lois again, and you won’t be so lucky!” He hissed angrily.

“Officer, did you see that?” Lex pointed at Clark as he brushed himself off. “That’s assault.”

“Lois?” Clark knelt down in front of her, running a hand up the side of her face gingerly.

“I’m fine.” She said hoarsely, not quite believing herself.

“She’s got a really nasty cut on the back of her head,” Lucy said, releasing her hold on her and moving to the side so Clark could take her place.

“Here. Let me take a look.” He whispered, gingerly titling her head forward ad he wrapped his arms around her from behind. “We need to get you to a hospital.”

“Why don’t you let us figure out what’s what around here, Mr. Luthor,” Detective Reed snapped, pointing toward one of the officers. “Detain him for now while I talk with Ms. Lane here. Henderson, you and the boys step out in the hall to question him.”

She took a shallow breath, and Clark’s arms tightened around her, “It’s okay. Just breathe.” Clark said, holding her close. “I’m so sorry. I never should have…”

She sat numbly, staring at the scurry of activity as one of the officers placed Lex in handcuffs, escorting him out into the hall. “Kent, come with me,” Henderson motioned for him to follow.

“I’m not leaving,” Clark said adamantly.

“Look…” Detective Reed crossed her arms over her chest in annoyance as she stared Clark down.

“I’m not leaving,” Clark repeated.

Detective Reed looked to Lois, “Ms. Lane?”

“I want him here,” Lois said, resting her hand over his.

Detective Reed sighed, “Fine, but I don’t want to hear any interruptions from you. Keep your mouth shut the entire time, or I will have one of those boys escort you out. Are we clear?”

“Crystal.” Clark loosened his grip on her waist, opting to hold her hand in his, stroking her knuckles gingerly as he held her. She relaxed against him, fighting the urge to pull herself out of his arms as she watched Lucy’s wounds be treated by the ambulatory workers and Detective Reed moved to question her about what happened.

“Clark…” She could feel her defenses start to give away, “What if he’s right? What if they can’t hold him? What if…”

“Shhh,” He soothed, stroking her cheek as she buried her face in his chest, “Don’t think about that. Both you and Lucy are injured. They can’t ignore that. No matter how much money he throws at the Governor.”

Lois watched as the ambulatory workers loaded Lucy onto a stretcher and sprung to her feet, “Is she going to be okay?”

“Your sister has a blunt force trauma to the back of the head and is pretty banged up. We’re taking her down to Metropolis General to get a work up and make sure there isn’t any internal bleeding.”

“But…” Lois began to panic at the idea of her sister not where she could see her.

“I’ll be fine, sis,” Lucy whispered hoarsely. “I have no doubt you’ll be joining me down there soon.”

“Once we get this documented I’ll have an ambulance take you over to Metropolis General for treatment.” Detective Reed explained.

Lois tightened her grasp on Clark’s hand, holding it for dear life as Detective Reed turned her attention to Lois, “Ms. Lane, I’m going to need you to come into the bedroom so we can document all of your injuries.” She eyed Clark with a critical eye, “Mr. Kent you’ll need to stay here.”

“No!” Lois surprised herself with how loud she shouted then repeated herself more softly, “No. I, uh, I want him with me.”

“Your choice.” Detective Reed said, pointing her toward the door as she held up a camera. Once the door was closed behind them she instructed her, “I’ll need you to strip down to your underwear. We’ll get these taken as quickly as possible.” She pointed toward the door. “Just stand against the door there.”

Lois nodded mutely, removing her jeans swiftly, looking down at the blue lace boy short panties she’d gotten to match the ensemble. She winced when she saw the purplish bruise that was on her hip along with a long scratch. Her blouse soon followed and she saw the scratch marks and bruises on her chest and arms. Her wrists had red and purple marks around them from where Lex had held her. She suspected her back was just as mangled.

“Ms. Lane, I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to remove that.” Detective Reed instructed.

She took a deep breath, hanging her head as she whispered, “I’m going to need some help. Lucy…”

Without a word Clark was by her side, helping lower the zipper of the strapless corset that had been intended as a surprise for him but would now be considered evidence. Lois did her best to suppress her tears as she felt the garment she’d fought so hard against removing earlier fall to the ground. She heard Clark’s sharp intake of breath and looked down seeing the claw marks and blood along her back and chest where the corset had been. He wrapped his arms around her protectively, “It’s gonna be okay.” He whispered in her ear, placing a kiss on her cheek.

She nodded, pulling away from him as she followed Detective Reed’s instructions. She avoided his gaze as she rotated 180 degrees while Detective Reed took photo after photo of her. She cringed, wondering if it was such a good idea to have Clark be in here. Having him see what Lex had done…

‘What he tried to do.’ She reminded herself. He’d had every intention of forcing himself on her and she’d fought him tooth and nail but Lucy and Clark had stopped him. He’d saved her just as he had countless other times. Lucy had saved her. She cringed, recalling Lex’s hands on her after the last photo was taken, “I…I need a shower.”

“Once you sign your statement and the scene has been surveyed properly.” Detective Reed instructed, “Now are you sure that’s all that happened?”

“Yes.” Lois snapped irritably. “He knocked me around after attacking Lucy. I got free and tried to run for the door. He grabbed me again and I fought him again. He tried to choke me…” Her hand moved to her neck instinctually. Clark grabbed a robe for her, helping her in it without a word.

“You didn’t lose consciousness? Black out?” Detective Reed asked.

“No.”

“And he didn’t….” She motioned toward her torso as Lois held herself self-consciously.

“No.” Lois snapped bitterly.

“What’s going to happen to Luthor?” Clark asked, wrapping a protective arm around her waist.

“That’s up to the judge.” Reed reminded him.

“Tonight.” He clarified. “What’s going to happen to him tonight?”

“Well assault of any kind with a weapon is an automatic felony. He’ll be placed under arrest and arraigned then his army of lawyers can fight it out in the morning but no judge is going to arraign him tonight.”

Lois sighed in relief, “Now about the stab wound…” Detective Reed began.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Clark fumed.

“Mr. Kent, one more outburst and you’ll be outside!” Reed warned. Clark’s arms tightened around her and his mouth thinned to form a long straight line but he didn’t say anything. Reed continued, “About the stab wound…You don’t have to convince me or Henderson or even any of those officers out there that this was self-defense but you may have to convince the DA and you may have to convince a judge.”

“Won’t the pictures be enough to prove what happened?” Lois asked.

“Should be.” Detective Reed handed her the SD card. “We got a little problem at the police department. Computer glitch. Mind making me a copy?”

Lois smirked, realizing what Reed was hinting at but not saying. “Yeah,”

Outside Lois Lane’s apartment Henderson continued to question Lex Luthor. “I don’t think you understand the predicament here, Mr. Luthor. I have two women that that were attacked. Eyewitnesses say you’re the assailant. I have a man who witnessed you attacking one of those women. I have a hallway full of people claiming they heard you threatening Ms. Lane and heard you hit her repeatedly….”

“All hearsay,” Lex scoffed. “I did no such thing. I would never harm Lois.”

“The neighbor across the hall watched you grab her and force her back into the apartment? That’s hearsay? The same neighbor that called the cops. Those marks on Lois Lane’s neck say something completely different.”

“Those marks were put there by Mr. Kent. I was simply defending myself against him when you arrived. You saw what an animal he is.” Lex shot back.

Henderson tightened his jaw when he realized what Lex was trying to imply. “Your courtroom games and dirty business dealings might work for you with other cops but not with me. I know what I saw. I know what happened here. If it were up to me I’d be taking Kent’s suggestion and locking you in the sewer you belong, but fortunately for you we have a justice system.”

“Yes Fortunately, Detective.”

Henderson smirked, controling his tone as he took a step toward him, “What do you think, Luthor? If you goad me I might attack you and you can get this charge thrown out? Not a chance. We’re doing this by the book. This is one charge you’ll never escape.”

“Don’t like your job I see.” Lex threatened. “I’ll be sure to pass the message along to the Police Commissioner.”

“You do that.” Henderson warned. “You don’t scare me. You’re pond scum. Do you know what they do to men who beat women in prison? It’s not pretty.”

“She’ll never press charges! You’ll see! I’ll be back home before you’ve even finished your shift.” Lex bragged.

“If you think Lois Lane is going to cower down to the likes of you you’re out of your mind. She’s going to press charges. She’s going to sit there and smile while they lock you in the cage you belong and throw away the key.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that,” Lex warned. “I have a reach far beyond this city, Detective.”

“And that reach is getting shorter and shorter.” Henderson warned. “You may have connections. You may have influence but the law is the law. Anyone caught in the act of an assault with a deadly weapon is immediately placed into custody and a temporary restraining order is granted. Congratulations, Luthor. You’re finally in the system.”

“Ms. Lane, you need to get to a hospital.” Detective Reed insisted.

“I just feel….dirty…with him touching me.” Lois ran her hands up and down her shoulders. “I need a shower.”

“You need to go to the hospital.” Reed insisted.

“Detective, I’ll make sure she goes.” Clark insisted. “Just give her some space.”

Detective Reed toyed with the toothpick in her mouth, thinking for a minute. “You’ve got twenty minutes. Shower and change then we’re taking you to the hospital. No if ands or buts.” She held up the bag of clothing that had been tagged as evidence from earlier. “We’re doing all of this by the book.”

Clark handed Lois a change of clothes which she took graciously, “Thanks.” With that she left the bedroom, heading into the bathroom to shower and change.

She leaned over to turn the water on, letting it warm up. She brushed the terry cloth robe off her shoulders, hanging it on the hook over her door. Then it hit her. She stared at the reflection of herself in the mirror.

Bruised.

Scratched.

A victim.

‘No.’ She told herself, pushing the thoughts out of her head.

<<“Nine months of being patient and you give it up for….KENT…”>>

<<"So, tell me who excited you more, hmm? Kent or Superman?”>>

<<“Be careful what you wish for, Kent,”>>

<<“I’m not leaving.”>>

<<“Kent, let him go.”>>

She stepped inside the shower, relaxing as she felt the hot water hit her skin. Her mind continued to play over the events of the evening over and over again. She rocked herself back and forth as she sank to the bottom of the shower stall in tears. She held herself as her body shook in uncontrollable sobs.

Two strong arms wrapped around her and she jumped, turning to see Clark covered from the spray of the shower head, “It’s okay. It’s just me.” He reassured her, wrapping his arms around her as he held her close.

“You’ll get soaked.” She sobbed, leaning her wet head against his chest.

“I don’t care.” He whispered, holding her close. “I’m right here, Lois. I’m not going anywhere.”

“It was horrible…” She cried as he reached up to turn the water off, turning her in his arms so he was cradling her.

“I’m right here, honey.” He whispered, placing a protective kiss on her temple. “I’m not going anywhere.” He repeated.

She shivered against him, “You’re soaked.”

“Here.” He reached for the towel that was hanging from the wall and pulled it down around her.

She looked back at him in his completely drenched suit and glasses with his hair matted down from the shower. She couldn’t help but smile at him. He hadn’t even bothered to take his shoes off when he’d entered the shower. “I love you,” She whispered, leaning in to kiss him.

“I love you, Lois,” His hand moved to cup her cheek, Holding her to him. After a few minutes he asked, “You feel any better?”

“Not really.” She admitted bitterly.

“I think Detective Reed’s about to force her way in here. Why don’t we get dried off so we can get you checked out.” Lois nodded her agreement. She was about to argue her point about him being wet again when steam began to rise from his shirt as he applied his heat vision to the once drenched suit he was wearing so that the water that had filled his clothes was now completely gone.

She smiled back at him, “That must come in pretty handy.”

He stood up and helped her up, “You have no idea.” She felt the warmth from his heat vision run over her, drying her from head to toe with ease.

“Thanks.” She whispered.

“Here we go.” Henderson said with a smile, walking Lex into the holding cell. “Fresh meat boys. Richest man in Metropolis caught attacking a woman tonight.”

“There will be hell to pay…” Lex warned as Henderson slammed the door shut.

“You bet!” He watched as the crowd of thugs that were sitting in the holding cell began to surround Lex with menacing looks. He smirked to himself. It was only for tonight and he knew Luthor would find a way out until they had a more solid case against him but seeing him pay at the hands of street thugs for what he’d done to Lois Lane made him feel warm and tingly all over. He was sure Lois and Kent wouldn’t mind him taking matters into his own hands.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Clark asked, following Lois into his apartment.

After spending hours at the hospital and going over what happened over and over and over again with Henderson and Reed Lois was exhausted. When they’d arrived at the hospital Lucy was up and around. Lois had been examined from head to toe and been cleared to be released, noting she had a minor concussion and several scrapes and bruises.

She’d fought against being admitted stating she could stay with him. The doctor didn’t like it and neither did Reed but Lois insisted on not being admitted. Lucy had already been admitted and would be released in the morning pending a clean bill of health from the doctor in the morning. Once visiting hours were over they’d left and come back to his place to get some rest.

He’d already called Perry to let him know they wouldn’t be in the office for a few days. He hadn’t told him what had happened. He wasn’t sure if Lois wanted Perry to know. Thankfully Perry hadn’t pressed him too much on the issue. He’d asked about the story on the news superhero

“I’m fine.” Lois said irritably, “I just wish everyone would quit asking me that.”

“Okay,” He sighed, walking toward the kitchen, “I’ll make some tea.”

He watched her run her hand through her hair, and he noticed her wince when she hit the large knot on the back of her head.

“Sounds good.” She nodded. “Tea is good.” She took a seat on his couch, pulling her knees up under her arms as she curled up on the couch.

“Are you hungry?” He asked from the kitchen, “I can whip up some dinner if you’d like or I can pick us up something.”

“No.” She shook her head, rotating her shoulders as he reentered the living room with two cups of tea. She turned toward him, taking the cup he offered and he did his best not to react when he saw the swollen marks on the side of her head where she’d said Luthor had struck her. “Thanks.”

He looked down at his mug, tightening his jaw, “I’m gonna get you some ice for that.” He could feel her eyes on him. He’d never felt so torn as he did right now. All he wanted to do was hold her and never let go again while at the same time he wanted to show Luthor what it felt like to be attacked by someone bigger and stronger than him. He grabbed the ice pack his mom had left in the freezer from the last time they’d been out to visit and headed back into the living room only to find Lois standing behind him with her arms crossed. “Here.” He held up the icepack and gingerly applied it to the side of her face.

She winced, placing her hand over his as he held it in place, meeting his gaze, “Are you okay?”

“I’m not the one with the knot in the back of my head.” He said softly.

She moved closer to him, running her hand down his arm, “No, but everything that…ha-happened. Him threatening you like that.”

He shook his head, “Let him. I don’t care.” He whispered, running his hand through her silky strands, wincing when he felt the bump.

“Clark…”

“You’re going to need to keep this ice pack on that bump tonight. That should help with any swelling and reduce any signs of bruises, but you may have a mark.” He looked down at the floor, unwilling to meet her gaze. If he looked at her then he’d see what Luthor did again and then he might just might do something he regretted like giving into his urge to take him out of jail and drop him on the nearest desert island he could find to keep him from hurting her again.

“Clark…” She repeated, brushing tears out of her eyes. Her voice was strained from holding back the tears.

It broke his heart to see her like this. Fueling his rage at Luthor even further. But right now Luthor was behind bars. If he had anything to say about it that’s where he would stay. Right now Lois was hurting. He just didn’t know what to do. The glossed over statement she’d given to the police told him that there was a lot more that happened than she was willing to say. He looked into her brown eyes, glistening with tears, outlining her jaw with his thumb and sighed, “I don’t know what to do.” He said softly. “Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it.”

She stepped into his arms and he wrapped his arms around her, kissing the temple of her head, “Just hold me, okay?” She whispered against his chest.

“I can do that.” He whispered, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

He lifted her into his arms and strode purposefully towards the bed. “What are you doing?”

“Putting you to bed.” He stated firmly, propping her up with pillows and laying the ice pack on the side where she had the swollen eye. She smiled, stroking his cheek for a moment before he pulled away, turning to leave the room. “Where are you going?”

“I was going to make up the couch…” He began, stopping mid-sentence when he saw the hurt look on her face. He sighed, coming toward her cautiously, “Lois, what is it?”

“The couch?” She cried, looking around the room. “Clark…”

He knelt down to look at her, “I just thought you’d want your space.” He explained, stroking her cheek. Tears welled in her eyes and he sighed, “Hey, what is it?”

“You won’t hardly touch me. You won’t hardly look at me. I’m black and blue all over and repulsive and…”

“Lois, look at me,” He whispered, “There is nothing wrong with you. Nothing. You are the same vibrant, gorgeous, sexy woman I fell in love with and continue fall more and more madly in love with each day.”

“Really?” She asked, not quite convinced.

“Really,” He repeated, cupping her cheek, “Nothing will ever change the way I feel about you.”

“Then why are you acting like I’m made of glass? I won’t break. Talk to me.”

“I’m angry, Lois. I’m furious.” He fumed angrily, “If I’d gotten there a minute or two earlier I could have…”

“Clark, this is not your fault!”

“He hurt you.” He whispered hoarsley. “He hurt you and I wasn’t there to protect you.” He hung his head, “Lucy’s in the hospital…” He grimaced, looking at the bruises and markings on her neck, “You should probably be too.” He ran a hand through his hair, “I’m sorry. I’m trying to keep myself from going over there and throttling him or dropping him in the middle of a desserted island where he can’t hurt anyone else…” He fumed angrily. “I don’t know what to do or think or say right now. I’m sorry.”

She sat up, sitting on the edge of the bed to face him, reaching out to stroke his cheek, “Kiss me.”

“Lois,” He sighed, shaking his head, hearing her heart hammering in her chest “Your heart rate’s over 90 beats per second.”

She pulled him to her, “Then slow it down. Please just kiss me?” She pleaded, holding his face in her hands so he was looking only at her. “I need you. I need you to kiss me and hold me and love me and make me forget everything.”

Seeing the sincerity in her eyes and hearing the pleading tone in her voice he knew he couldn’t deny her. “If you want to stop just say the word.” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her, cradling her in his arms as he leaned her back against the bed.

“Just love me, Clark,”

“Always,” He whispered, holding her to him.

“He will never learn, will he?” Nigel took a long puff from his cigar, staring at the monitors around the room in disbelief, “Well, it seems we have a problem on our hands, don’t we, Mrs. Cox?”

Mrs. Cox turned, pursing her lips as she stared at the screen, “I suppose I’ll call Judge Stephens. Do we erase the tape?”

“Yes, but keep a copy. In case he gets out of hand again we need leverage.”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube