Author's note: Last year, I posted Changing the Game as part of the loose series I wrote beginning with Muddying the Waters. At the time, I wasn't satisfied with the story; today, while getting it ready for the archives, I realised exactly how unhappy I was with it. It's forced, it lacks the fun of the first two stories, the characterisation is weird... I could go on.
So I dived back into my hard drive, dusted off an earlier draft, kicked it around with Folc4evernaday (thanks Val!), and this is the result.

Disclaimer: All recognisable characters, plot lines etc. are property of DC Comics, Warner Bros and December 3rd Productions.

Lois pulled the Jeep up to the kerb and looked over at her tuxedo-clad partner.
“So. When you moved to Metropolis, did you think you'd be holding one of those a year later?”

“No. But then a lot of things have happened in the last year that I didn't expect.” Clark held the glistening crystal statuette up to eye level. “You know, I've won a few awards as Superman, but this one is different. This one has nothing to do with being Kryptonian. It's something that I can do that’s completely separate from my powers.” He grinned self-consciously. “This one feels pretty good.”

“You earned it, Clark,” she said softly. “I'm proud of you.”

He flashed her the blinding, brilliant smile that never failed to set her heart racing.
“I'm still a little disappointed about our Luthor series.”

Their series detailing Lex Luthor’s criminal empire -which had been widely attributed to causing what was now being referred to as the ‘fall of the House of Luthor’- had ended up missing the Kerth Awards eligibility cut-off date by a single day.

“There's always next year,” Lois reminded him.

“Yeah. Next year.” He shifted the statuette in his grasp. “I'm really glad you came tonight.”

“Me too.”

He had an odd, almost serious expression on his face, and for a long moment she thought he was finally going to try and kiss her. Then he glanced away; the moment passed, and he opened the door of the Jeep.

“Well. Goodnight, Lois.”

“Goodnight, Clark,” she replied softly.

He got out of the car. Lois watched him as he unlocked his apartment door and went inside, giving her a little wave before he closed the door. Then she let her head fall forward onto the steering wheel.

This had gotten beyond frustrating. They’d been dancing around each other for weeks now, constantly having little awkward moments where she was sure- sure- something was going to happen between them… and then nothing. She’d felt certain that tonight was the night; their ‘date’ to the Kerth Awards ceremony, coupled with Lenny Stoke’s comment about her being Superman’s girl earlier in the day, had added an extra edge to the already charged atmosphere between them.

What was he waiting for?

Before her resolve faltered, she got out of the car and strode up the few steps to Clark’s front door. She tried the handle- Clark rarely locked it when he was home, something she’d warned him about multiple times- and as she’d predicted, it turned under her hand.

Clark looked up in surprise as she walked in. His jacket was off, draped over the back of one of the kitchen chairs along with his bowtie, and he was in the process of undoing his cufflinks.

“Well?” She looked at him impatiently, walking toward him with her arms crossed over her chest with an irritated expression on her face.

“Well, what?” he asked, confused.

“Oh, for God’s sake, do I have to do everything myself?” She fumed, closing the distance between them. She reached up, cupping both sides of his face, pressing her lips against his in a fiery kiss. After what felt like an eternity she pulled away, “Now was that so hard?” Before he could respond she captured his mouth with hers once more.

Lois was kissing him.

Clark had dreamt of this so many times, but even his wildest dreams couldn’t measure up to the reality. He kissed her back eagerly, delighting in the feel and the taste of her. She looped her arms around his neck, pressing closer to him as her tongue sought entry to his mouth. He opened his mouth under hers, cradling the back of her head with one hand as they explored each other.
Finally she broke the kiss, leaving them both breathless. Clark dropped his hands to her waist, resting his forehead against hers.

“God Lois, you have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that.”

“So why didn’t you?”

“Because I didn’t know if you wanted Superman or Clark Kent,” he murmured.

“Clark.” Her answer was an exasperated sigh. She reached up and laid a hand on his cheek, making him smile. “I want all of you. Not just the part that flies around in Spandex, or just the part that edits my copy. The real you.”

He only had one answer for that. He captured her lips with his own, kissing her deeply, passionately, wrapping his arms around her and holding her as close as he dared. She met him kiss for kiss, her passion matching his own until he felt like he was drowning in sensation. Only the dim warning in the back of his head, telling him he had to let her breathe, was sufficient to make him break the kiss.

She leant against him, and for a moment he couldn’t tell which one of them was trembling. Lois looked up at him, her big dark eyes still cloudy with their mutual passion. He smiled reassuringly at her, then realised how tightly he was still holding her. Quickly he relaxed his hold. “I didn't hurt you, did I?” Clark asked worriedly.

She shook her head. “No.” Regretfully, she pulled away. “But it's getting late. I should go.”

He walked her to the door, opening it for her and leaning on the edge of it. “Have dinner with me. A real date,” he clarified.

“How about tomorrow?” she smiled at him.

“Perfect.” He kissed her gently. “Goodnight, Lois.”

“Goodnight, Clark.”

He watched until she pulled away from the kerb, giving him a little wave as she drove away. Then he closed the door, unable to keep the grin off his face. Okay, so he didn’t really know what was going on. But Lois had kissed him- at her instigation! - had admitted that she wanted him. And now they had a date for tomorrow night. Winning his first Kerth award- as important as that was to him- paled into insignificance.

On top of all that, Lois truly understood. Since she’d told him she knew of his secret identity, he’d worried that she’d have difficulty reconciling what most people thought of as two different men into who he really was. But he’d worried needlessly; Lois didn’t seem to have any problems with it at all.

Things would definitely be interesting around Metropolis from now on...

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg