Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 24

Agent Woods sat across from Jack as he stared at her with a smirk, “I’m going to have you go through all of the events leading up to your involvement with Mr. Luthor. I don’t want any smart comments or jokes. This is for the courts to hear and the judge won’t appreciate any sarcasm. Are we clear?”

“Crystal.” Jack said with a sigh.

She pressed the record button on the recorder, “Starting from your first interraction with Mr. Luthor….”

Clark watched as the sun from Lois’ bedroom window reflected off her mirror and onto the bed just a few inches away from her collarbone. Her body was still entangled with his, wrapped securely in the cotton sheets. He couldn’t help but grin, recalling their previous night’s activities.

“I love you, Lois Lane,” He whispered, outlining her jawline.

She sighed softly in her sleep and he smiled, holding her close to him, “I want to marry you.” He whispered, knowing she couldn’t hear him.

It took everything in him not to say it; to ask the question that had been on his mind for the last few weeks. He knew he was completely in love with her and there was no one else for him. He’d finally found someone he could share everything with, but asking her to be his wife in the middle of the chaos that had erupted over the past week wasn’t how he wanted to ask her. It wasn’t how he wanted her to remember their engagement, trying to bring down Luthor and having her family stay in hiding. No, he didn’t want to taint the memory with the chaos they were currently living in, but he wanted to ask her soon.

“I love you,” He murmured, leaning in to kiss her shoulder.

She sighed against him and whispered, “I love you too,”

Lois lazily stretched her arms over her head, sighing as she felt two strong arms encircle her waist and two familiar lips press against her shoulder, “Morning.”

She smiled, turning to see Clark lying next to her, “Morning,”

His hands moved up her ribcage until they finally found their resting place joined just above her ribcage as he kissed her neck, “Do you have any idea how sexy you look first thing in the morning?”

She turned her neck to allow him better access, moving her hands to stroke his face “Tell me.”

“I love hearing you call my name when you’re sleeping and feeling your skin against mine,” He murmured against her cheek.

She opened her mouth to respond only to find it covered with his. He rolled them over, so she was facing him, settling himself between her legs. She sighed against him, gripping his shoulders and wrapping her legs around his torso as telling her soon turned into showing her.

Lucy sleepily padded her way into the kitchen to fix herself a cup of coffee. She’d been exhausted last night. She didn’t even remember her head hitting the pillow when she fell asleep. Now today was a new day. Bill Henderson hadn’t been entirely unhelpful yesterday, just infuriating with his lack of initiative in helping her.

If she could find the agent in charge of the Lex Luthor investigation maybe she could get them to …

“Ow!” She winced when she tripped over a hard leather object coming out of the kitchen, running into the end of the couch. She looked down, seeing what it was she tripped over and raised her eyebrows. It was a shoe. A man’s shoe.

A muffled moan came from the other side of the apartment. She glanced toward her sister’s room and blushed, realizing what she was over hearing. Seeing the empty bathroom that was connected to both rooms she sighed to herself, “I think I’ll skip the shower this morning.” She muttered to herself, heading for her room to get ready.

Lois ran her hands up and down Clark’s chest seductively, resting her head in the nook between his shoulder and arm and held her securely, “Where did that come from?” He chuckled and she rolled over so she was hovering above him, resting her arms on his chest folded as she gave him an impish grin, “Is it just me or does it seem to get better and better?”

“Well, you know what they say,” He whispered, cupping her cheek as he outlined her jawline with his thumb and index finger. “Practice makes perfect.”

She raked her fingernails against his chest as she nodded her head, brushing her nude body against him. “I am a perfectionist.” She whispered as he nibbled at her neckline.

“I know.” He murmured against her skin as he slipped his hand in between her thighs. “You’re insatiable. What am I going to do with you?”

“I have a few ideas…” she whispered, hovering over him as she felt him begin to respond to her touch.

“So, do I…” he murmured.

“Oh, Clark…” she moaned in pleasure leaning forward. “I don’t know how we’re going to make it through the day…”

“Who cares?” He whispered in her ear, “We still have another hour before we have to be at the office.”

“Lois??” The bang on the bedroom door to her apartment caused both of them to look up.

“Oh, God…” Clark groaned in agony. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Lucy…” Lois muttered, covering her face with her hands. “I’m going to kill her…”

“Lois?? There’s some Pest Control guy here….”

Clark stifled his laughter, and she covered his mouth with her hand, “Shhh…” She then called over her shoulder, “Okay, let them in.”

“I did.” Lucy knocked on the bedroom door. “They’ve sprayed everywhere already.”

Clark was suppressing his laughter by biting his lip. Lois glared at him when he continued to stifle his laughter unsuccessfully. “It’s not funny. Quit laughing.”

“It’s either laugh or cry at this moment…” He said glancing downward.

“I know. I’m sorry…” she whispered then turned her attention back to her sister, “So what’s the problem?”

“They’ve sprayed everywhere but your room,” Lucy said annoyed from the other side of the door.

“Oh.” Lois looked down at Clark, her face full of remorse as he pulled away from her.

“Guess it’s time to get up,” Clark reached for his boxers from the night before.

Lois reached for a tank top and shorts from her dresser, throwing them on and turning back to Clark, “Are you going to be okay?” She asked concerned.

He nodded, sitting on the edge of her bed in his boxers, “I’m going to need a minute…”

Lois sighed, exasperated with her interrupted morning as she watched the Pest Control crew leave the apartment. Clark had excused himself into the bathroom then just as quickly disappeared to tend to a call for Superman, leaving her to get ready for the day. She stared at the boxes from the night before with a frown, “I guess I’ll have Perry send someone to get these later.” She muttered to herself.

Lucy had already left to grab breakfast once she and Clark had exited her bedroom so she wasn’t an option for helping. They were supposed to meet at the Federal Building in thirty minutes. She still wasn’t sure what exactly Lucy hoped to accomplish with talking to their dad about the investigation. He’d already told them what he knew, didn’t he?

She reentered her bedroom, crinkling her nose at the smell. She’d have to remember to talk to the landlord about the hours he sent Pest Control to her apartment. She shuddered involuntarily recalling how bad their timing had been this morning.

She shook her head, trying to break herself from her reverie. ‘Focus.’ She reminded herself. ‘Work.’

Perry White grinned ear to ear as he unlocked the impromptu office for the Daily Planet. The training sessions from the day before had been grueling and the changes were well ahead of any other newspaper. He hoped his team would be able to keep up.

Bruce Wayne was young and used to change. He wasn’t. He was willing to change with the times as needed to ensure the growth of the paper. “Mr. White?”

Perry turned to see Lucy Lane, Lois’ little sister rounding the corner towards him, “Lucy, darlin’ what are you doing here?”

She held up a package as she tried to catch her breath,”I think I’ve found something, and I was hoping you could help.”

He took the package from her curious, “What’d you find?”

“The real bomber.” She panted. “Proof that Jimmy’s being framed.”

<“Lois?? There’s some Pest Control guy here….”

“Okay, let them in.”

“I did. They’ve sprayed everywhere already.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“They’ve sprayed everywhere but your room.”

“Oh.” >

Lex snapped the remote down on his desk angrily, watching as a disheveled Lois Lane and Clark Kent came out of her bedroom. It was obvious what they’d been doing. Anger pulsed through him as he watched Clark Kent lean in to kiss Lois Lane.

“How dare she?” He muttered to himself. “How dare she betray me with that….hack??” He fumed angrily.

“Detective Jenkins.” Perry laid a picture of the detective out for Victor Talley to see. Then laid a crime scene photo of the arson from the Daily Planet. “He was there. Out of uniform.”

“That’s not a crime.” Victor Talley pointed out.

“No, it’s not, but given that he was supposed to be on duty at the time of the arson across town it makes it awfully suspicious.” Lucy pointed out, setting a copy of the police log in front of him.

Talley’s eyebrows rose, “Where did you get this?”

“A reliable source,” Lois said, folding her arms over her chest.

Talley smirked, “I’ll bet.” He let out a long sigh, “Look, I feel for you. Really I do. The FBI wants Luthor behind bars as much as you do. Given the extent of his reach in the government and the threat to national security, it’s a top priority.”

“Why do I sense there’s a ‘but’ here?” Clark asked.

Talley sighed, “Yes, Mr. Kent, there is a very big ‘but’ here because as informative as this is it wasn’t obtained by legal means. Now, everything we receive after this is tainted.”

Lucy gave a sigh of despair, “But this proves he’s corrupt and…”

“…and he’s entitled to rights.” Talley reminded her. “I’ll contact IAB and get them to open a case on him. Hopefully, nudge them in the right direction, but I can’t accept this. I can’t even acknowledge I’ve seen this or it could tank the entire case. Grapes from the poisonous tree if you will.”

“But..” Lucy began to argue.

Perry stopped her, interjecting, “Thank you for your time, Director Talley.”

“Are you out of your mind??” Lucy snapped, throwing her things on the couch as they reentered the apartment. “We have evidence this officer is…dirty, and he’s doing nothing. You can’t argue? Fight?”

“What’s to argue, Luce?” Lois asked, “You heard him. If we get them to investigate from information you obtained illegally, it’ll get the case thrown out.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes, I do.” Lois shot back. “I’ve seen it happen. I have been in the courtroom and watched an entire prosecution’s case get thrown out because of one officer’s mistake. It’s called due process.”

“It’s not fair.” Lucy cried. “I just wanted to help.”

“I know.” Lois took a seat next to her, “and you will.”

Lucy dabbed at the tears that had escaped, “They won’t let me see him. Figured out I wasn’t his sister and now they won’t let me see him.”

“I’m sorry.” Lois hugged her, holding her close. “We’re going to figure this out, but we can’t have you trying to chase down criminals by yourself. It’s not safe.”

“Are you really trying to lecture me on safety?” Lucy asked with a crooked smile.

“Well, considering we’re supposed to be laying low, yeah,” Lois smirked. “I promised mom I’d look after you.”

“I’m not a child.” Lucy snapped, folding her arms over her chest.

“I know, but I still worry,” Lois said, resting her head against her sister’s. They sat in a comfortable silence for a moment. “I’ve got to get the rest of this back to the office.” She motioned at the boxes she’d left in the living room this morning.

Lucy followed her gaze, “When’s Clark gonna be back from his appointment?”

Lois shrugged, trying to give her best ‘I don’t know’ expression. She really didn’t want to think about Clark’s ‘appointment’ at the moment. He’d left to answer a call for help, and given what had happened earlier with the Kryptonite they both knew it could be risky. Someone had Kryptonite, and they didn’t know who or what they would do with it.

“Uh, not sure.” She pasted on a smile, “Here. Help me with these?” She motioned to the boxes. Lucy nodded, following her out to the Jeep with the other box.

When they arrived at WayneTech Clark was waiting for her in the lobby, “Hey, you.” She leaned in to kiss him.

“Hey,” He leaned in to stroke her cheek before taking the file boxes from her. “These Jimmy’s case files?”

“Yep,” Lucy smiled following them inside. She let out a low whistle when she entered the office space, “Nice digs.”

Bill Henderson let out an exasperated sigh, “Mike, I can’t help you if you won't talk.”

Mike Jenkins looked over at Bill Henderson with a snort, “Why would you want to help me?” He motioned to his bruised face, “Do I look like I need help?”

“Yeah, you do.” Henderson leaned forward, “I know you’re scared. Probably think you can’t turn to anyone or do anything, but you’d be wrong.” He ran a hand through his hair, “Let me help you.”

“Is that everything?” Lois asked, placing the last box on the ‘research table’ in the office. It took everything in her to divert her eyes away from Clark’s backside as he leaned over to lift the boxes they had lined up on the floor to move them to the research table.

‘Bad. Bad thoughts.’ She reminded herself, noting how many feet he stood from her at the moment. Fifteen. It was an office, but it was small. Very very small…for two or more people. Three desks had been pushed together, and dual monitors had been set up on either side with laptop docking stations. It was cramped, but it was home for now.

“I think so,” Clark reassured her, turning to dazzle her with his mega-watt smile that made her weak in the knees.

Distraction.

She needed a distraction.

Work.

She needed to work.

Eying the board where they’d begun to pin suspected lieutenants and crimes to Lex several months ago she crossed the room and began removing the pins one by one.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to restrategize.” She explained, pulling out a large stack of Post-Its.

“What do you mean?” Clark asked, walking toward the bulletin board with her.

“We keep treating Jimmy’s case like it’s separate from Lex, but it’s not. We know he’s behind this so we need to prove it.” Lois explained, jotting names they suspected of being involved down and pinning them to the board.

“How?” He asked.

“Follow Bruce Wayne’s advice.” She said with a smile, “Dig into his past.”

Bruce looked over Lucius Fox’s shoulder, watching as he tinkered with the metal device he’d been given by the Fire Marshall. “Anything?”

Lucius continued to tinker, “From what I’m able to see, Mr. Wayne, this is no ordinary incendiary device. There are micro chips inside the firing mechanism which tells me this bomb was set off from a different location.”

“Can you trace it?” Bruce asked.

Lois watched as Perry waved good night to them, “Don’t stay here too late.” He called over his shoulder. “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

“Night Chief,” Clark waved at their editor, closing the door behind him so as not to be disturbed.

Lois turned her attention back to her notes on what they had pinned to the board. They had been going over their research for the last few hours, and her mind was growing wary. It was disheartening to learn how demented Lex’s father was and even more heartbreaking to hear how loving his mother was. A child trapped in a twisted world of games by none other than Lionel Luthor.

She glanced at Clark then back at the board. Most of the staff had already left for the evening, leaving her, Clark, A few stray employees trying to dig into their stories and the printing press guys next door. Perry had taken them off of any local news for the time being so they could focus on exposing Luthor and clearing Jimmy’s name. It seemed a harder task than anyone thought.

Clark walked toward her, placing a supportive arm around her shoulders. She smiled to herself as she sank back against him, smelling the hint of his cologne against her nostrils before he pulled away once again. She fidgeted in her long skirt when she caught herself staring at him as he leaned against the desk to grab another pen.

Working in close quarters was definitely getting to her especially given how ‘active’ they’d been over the past week. It wouldn’t take a lot of imagination to entertain thoughts about him that were less than professional. Her gaze wandered over the muscles of his back, admiring how tight his blue dress shirt stretched against his muscles and reminded of the memory of those muscles beneath her fingertips. Her mind dreamily flashed back to this morning with him in her bed, naked and ...

“Lois?”

She looked up, breaking herself out of her fantasy and back to the present. “Huh?”

“You said you wanted to go over what we’ve got?” Clark prompted, taking a seat in the desk chair across from where she was standing.

“Oh, right,” she tucked a stray hair behind her ear, turning toward the board and away from her very distracting partner and boyfriend. She glanced at the notepad in her hands and began reading off her notes as she paced in front of the board, “Lionel Luthor, founder of LuthorCorp. Two PhDs in biochemical engineering and macroeconomics from Yale University. Married to Lillian Luthor.”

Clark tapped his pen against his notepad and interjected, “Luthor’s mother. They both died in a fire on Lex Luthor’s seventeenth birthday, allowing Lex Luthor to take over LuthorCorp. Rebranding it as…”

“LexCorp.” Lois finished with a shudder. She stopped in front of him, noting the worry lines on his face as he continued going through their notes.

“Police suspected foul play, but no evidence was ever found linking Luthor to the deaths of his parents,” Clark added, looking back at the board. “Think this is what Bruce was talking about?”

Lois shrugged, leaning back against the desk, perching herself on the corner, crossing her legs as she turned back toward the board, “I don’t know.” Her face scrunched up, “Where does Jimmy fit into all of this?” She gestured to the other side of the board where Lex Luthor’s name was at the top, and four mysterious lieutenant names were below him along with known criminal organizations linked to the boss. The Planet explosion was on another post it with a question mark.

Crazy.

Lois Lane was driving him absolutely crazy.

Clark watched from across the room, ignoring her racing pulse and the very clear distinct scent of her perfume that teased his nostrils, reminding him of other very familiar scents. Was it always going to be like this? Being in close quarters with her only seemed to heighten the fantasies that continued to drive him mad day and night every time he looked in her direction. All he’d been able to think about was purple lace. The hint of purple lace he’d seen when she’d gotten up from the desk earlier and began pacing around the office, ticking off notes on what they’d found out so far.

She was trying to crack their investigation on Luthor open, and here he was hindered and crippled by the thought of purple lace. He watched in torture as she slipped the end of her pen in her mouth, chewing on the tip of it as she stared down at her notepad.

She reclaimed her seat on the edge of the desk, and he watched in agony as her skirt hiked up just enough for him to get a full view of her shapely legs and the purple lace of her thigh highs. Was she trying to torture him? No. She was completely professional. Her attire was professional. She wore a lavendar pencil skirt that came just below her knees and had a tasteful split on the side up to her knees. That split. That was the culprit to his torture. The purple lace never would have been staring at him if it weren’t for that split in her skirt. Her violet sleeveless top went well with her skirt and suit jacket that laid forgotten on the back of her chair.

Her face scrunched up, “Where does Jimmy fit into all of this?” She gestured to the other side of the board where Lex Luthor’s name was at the top, and four mysterious lieutenant names were below him along with known criminal organizations linked to the boss. The Planet explosion was on another post it with a question mark.

“Don’t forget the oil rig,” Clark added, finding his voice as he made a note and got up to add it underneath Lex Luthor.

“HM Weapons,” Lois interjected, making another note and handing it to him. His super-hearing teased him once more with the sound of her lace thigh highs brushing against one another, and he shifted uncomfortably where he stood.

“Illegal weapon deals.” Clark jotted down and pinned it to the board.

“So what’s the connection?” Lois asked with a sigh, “How does him taking over LexCorp connect to all of …this?” She gestured to the other side of the board.

Noticing her dismayed expression, he crossed the room and walked toward her, perching himself on the edge of the desk next to her.Trying to calm her nerves, he wrapped his arms around her and whispered in her ear, “I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out.” He reached for her hand, stroking the top of it with his thumb.

She smiled at him, reaching up to stroke his cheek before reminding him, “Jimmy’s bond hearing is tomorrow. What if they don’t let him out?”

“Then we keep digging.” He promised, leaning in to kiss her. She returned the kiss with enthusiasm, outlining his lips with the tip of her tongue. He groaned against her lips, listening to the torturous sound of purple lace rubbing against one another once more as her thighs rubbed together once again.

He slipped his hand boldly between her thighs, finding the lace edge of her thigh highs that had been torturing him for the last half hour. He leaned her back against the desk, tracing the length of the garter belt straps beneath her skirt, groaning against her lips, “You’re killing me with these.”

“Then we’re even,” She murmured against his lips, running her hand up the back of his backside. He settled himself between her legs. “I want you so bad,”

“I want you too.” He ran his hands down her sides, “so bad.”

“Oh, Clark,”

The next day, Mike Jenkins sat in his hospital room staring at the television screen as footage of the Olsen trial played out. “We’re here in front of the courthouse with James Olsen’s attorney, Constance Hunter. Ms. Hunter, can you tell us why you requested another bond hearing after the first request was denied?”

“The people are accusing Mr. Olsen of being things he isn’t and doing things he hasn’t. I believe once the judge sees this the ridiculous charges against him will be dismissed. This is an overreach by the prosecution at the very least by an overzealous prosecutor looking to use my client as a stepping stone to the Governor’s office.”

Lois and Clark met Bill Henderson and Perry outside the courthouse after going through the metal detectors. “With Detective Jenkins in the hospital, I’ve been asked to help the DA’s office with handling the Olsen case.”

Lois crossed her arms over her chest, pacing in front of him, “Excuse me??”

“I don’t for one minute believe Jimmy’s guilty, but I’ve got to do my job,” Henderson explained.

“Your job is to protect the innocent, Bill.” Clark pleaded with him. “Jimmy’s innocent.”

“With me heading this up I’ll be able to determine that for sure.” Henderson reassured, “But the trial will go forward unless we find another suspect with enough evidence to convince the judge.”

“So, you’re going to open an unofficial investigation? See if you can find the real culprit?”Lois asked.

“No.” Henderson shook his head, looking down at the tile floor.

“What??” Lois fumed angrily.

“I want the guy that did this as much as yall do but Jimmy is innocent.” Perry pleaded with him.

“I’ve got my orders, Perry,” Henderson sighed, “I can go over the evidence again and see if I can point the investigation in a new angle, but without the Police Commissioner’s approval there won’t be any new investigation. I’m sorry. My hands are tied.”

“That boy hasn’t been given a fair shot since this happened and you know it,” Perry interjected, wagging his hand in Henderson’s face.

“He’s a kid being railroaded by Luthor.” Clark hissed vehemently in a harsh whisper. “You said yourself you didn’t believe he was guilty. Why can’t you open the investigation?”

“It’s not that simple,” Henderson warned. “There are a lot of players involved in this. People with a lot of power and a lot of muscle that don’t want to see Luthor in jail.”

“Then what makes you think you telling them anything is going to make a difference? DA Clemmons is taking on this case himself. Seems to think it’ll be a political move.” Perry fumed bitterly.

“I’ve got a contact in the DA’s office that’s agreed to help,” Henderson reassured.

“She?” Lois asked, uncertainly.

A young blonde wearing too much make up for Lois’ taste approached them, juggling a handful of folder jackets, “Bill!”

Bill Henderson smiled and approached her, taking some of the files from her. “Mayson, good to see you.” He pointed toward the group. “Mayson Drake, I’d like you to meet the people I was telling you about. Perry White,” He pointed to Perry.

“Nice to meet you.” She gave him a firm handshake. Perry nodded but didn’t say anything.

“Lois Lane,” He pointed to Lois.

She gave Lois a once over before extending her hand, “I’ve read your work. Impressive.”

Lois stared at her for a moment, debating if she could trust this woman. “And you are…?”

“Deputy DA. Just moved here.” Mayson explained, pulling her hand back in as she shifted her gaze toward Clark who still had a scowl on his face about the bomb Henderson had dropped on them. She moved toward him, “You must be Clark Kent.”

He nodded, standing up straight to take the hand she extended to him, “Yeah,” He pulled his hand back, still frowning, “What’s your office going to do about Jimmy? Are you really going to put an innocent kid away while the real bomber walks free as a bird?”

Mayson bit her lower lip, contemplating her response as she continued to linger her gaze on Clark. Lois could feel every hair on the back of her neck stand up as she watched the exchange. Who did she think she was? She opened her mouth to interject but found herself cut off by Mayson’s response, “I’m not handling that investigation, Clark. I can promise you that I would never prosecute a case where I thought the defendant was innocent. Like I told Bill I want to put Lex Luthor behind bars. That’s my goal. He tells me you all want the same thing. I thought maybe we could work together on that?” She gave a dazzling smile that Lois was sure worked for Mayson in the past.

“So you want to put Lex behind bars. Who doesn’t?” Lois interjected. “So far I haven’t heard a reason why we should trust you.”

Mayson arched an eyebrow at her, “Nor, I, you, Ms. Lane.” Her face scrunching up as she turned to face her. “I’m willing to help but if you don’t want my help then…”

“Now hold on just a minute here,” Perry interjected, “Lois, you and Kent have been working this Luthor angle for months and gotten nowhere.”

“That is not—”

“Why don’t you work with Ms. Drake here and see if you can put your heads together to crack this sucker open and bring Jimmy home?” He looked between the two of them, “Sound fair?”

“Fine,” Lois harumphed.

“Great.” Mayson smiled, pulling out her card as she jotted something down on the back of it. She turned to Clark, “Oh, Clark, here’s my card. If you need to reach me, ahem,” She smiled, “after hours? My personal number’s on the back.” She turned toward Lois, “I look forward to working with you, Ms. Lane.” One of the bailiff’s waved for her in front of the courtroom across from them, and she excused herself.

‘I will not kill her. I will not kill her.’ Lois reminded herself as she tried to calm herself down, offering a sarcastic “Subtle.”

Lois couldn’t help but smile as she watched Clark hand the card to Perry before walking toward her, placing an arm on her shoulder before whispering, “Calm down.”

“I’m calm.” She harumphed, folding her arms over her chest, rubbing her upper arms up and down as she watched Mayson leave, “Anyone seen Jimmy’s dad?”

Perry nodded, “He’s in there with Constance going over his testimony one last time,” He pointed to a room marked ‘private’ across the hall.

“The people are accusing Mr. Olsen of being things he isn’t and doing things he hasn’t. I believe once the judge sees this the ridiculous charges against him will be dismissed. This is an overreach by the prosecution at the very least by an overzealous prosecutor looking to use my client as a stepping stone to the Governor’s office.”

Lex Luthor took a puff from his cigar, eying the crowd outside the courthouse with a smile. “Phase One of your plan is complete.” Mrs. Cox said, looking to him with a smile.

“On to Phase Two.”

“Where’s Jimmy?” Lois asked, looking around the courtroom.

“It’s a bond hearing,” Clark explained. “He’ll be on the monitors, but he won’t be in the courtroom.”

“What??” Lois asked, aghast, tears forming in her eyes.

“All rise for the honorable Judge Stephens!” The bailiff called out.

Bruce sat in his office going over the preliminary report Lucius had provided him with from the incendiary device they’d found in the wreckages. He wasn’t sure how to prove it but he knew Lex Luthor was behind this. He hoped this device would lead him to LexCorp’s doorstep, putting his rival out of commission for good.

“Bruce?”

Bruce looked up to see a very ticked Vicki Vale standing over him, tapping her heel impatiently with her arms crossed. “Uh, Vicki, this is a surprise.”

“How long are you going to continue to play games?” She huffed, pacing in front of him.

“Games?”

She gave him an annoyed smile, “I went to the studio and imagine my surprise when half the crew isn’t there. When I started calling to ask why they said they’d gotten new jobs…with LNN. All of them.”

“I’ll take care of it, Vicki. I’ll get you a new crew before you go back on the air.” He reassured her.

“Bruce, that’s not the point!” She shouted exasperated. “You can’t just keep buying your way out of this. This …whatever it is with Lex Luthor has to stop.”

“He started it.” He reminded him.

“And you need to end it.” She took a step toward him, placing a hand on his cheek, “Please Bruce, be the bigger man?”

Lucy set the remote down on the table in front of her, watching in rapt attention as the newscasters debated on Jimmy’s guilt or innocence. She stared at the image still of Detective Jenkins holding a duffle bag and walking toward the Daily Planet’s back entrance.

Bill Henderson wouldn’t help her.

The FBI wouldn’t help her.

She’d have to do this on her own.
Mike Jenkins stared at the crowd, watching as the newscasters continued to comment on the trial. He took a sip of his water, wincing as he felt it hit the back of his throat. He felt his throat tighten from the strain and began coughing uncontrollably. Realization dawned on him as he reached for the call button by his bed to page a nurse, but it was too late.

His arm began to spasm, feeling the muscles in his hand lock up as his throat slowly closed up.

Jack Olsen approached the witness stand, taking his seat. The bailiff approached, “Please raise your right hand,” He instructed, “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth so help you, God?”

“I do.” Jack nodded, taking his seat.

Constance Hunter approached with a smile, “Mr. Olsen, please state your name and occupation for the record?”

“Jack Olsen. I’m a Structural Engineer.” He smiled back at her.

“Not an international spy?” She pressed.

“No,” He smiled back at her, “Not that exciting.”

“Why do you think the prosecution has accused you of being a spy?” Constance asked.

“They have a weak case. You gotta admit. It’s a great story, but the reality is even if I was…a spy. My family would never know about it. So that motive for their case goes out the window.”

“What do you mean?” Constance pressed.

“Think about it, in all the James Bond films and spy movies we’ve seen no one ever knows if he’s a spy or not. It’s a mystery. Do you honestly think the NIA would be any different?” He smiled.

In the gallery, Lois clenched her hand over Clark’s listening to Jack Olsen’s testimony, “Why doesn’t he just write NIA Spy in big bold letters and hang it over his head?” She whispered.

“Shhh,” Clark cautioned her, “We don’t know that for sure.”

“Give me a break. Listen to this guy,” Lois whispered back, pointing toward the judged, “Look at the judge. He doesn’t believe it either.”

DA Clemmons approached Jack Olsen with a smarmy smile on his face. “Jack, can I call you ‘Jack?’” He asked, pacing in front of the witness stand.

Jack’s jaw tightened and his mouth formed a thin line, “I guess,”

“You tell a great story of conspiracies and dangerous villains all working against your son.” He smiled, “You’d do anything to help your son, wouldn’t you?”

“Yes, of course,” Jack said edgily.

“Including lie under oath?”

“Of course not!” Jack scoffed offended.

“Your honor!” Constance shot up from the defendant’s table. “Move to strike!”

“Sustained!” The Judge pounded the gavel, “Watch it, Mr. Clemmons.”

“You say you’re a structural engineer but no engineering company has heard of you.” He paced in front of Jack.

“Well that depends on who you’re talking to,” Jack smiled back. “Just like with your case against my son. You ask one officer he says he’s guilty and you ask another, and he says he’s innocent. All a matter of perspective.”

“Your honor, permission to treat the witness as hostile?”

“Objection!”

“Your Honor!” Clemmons argued.

“Granted!” Judge Stephens pounded the gavel once more.

“Your Honor I strenuously object!” Constance shouted.

“Noted.” Judge Stephens waved her off, “Continue your cross-examination, Mr. Clemmons.”

“Mr. Olsen, you say you’re a structural engineer, is that a true statement?”

“Yes.”

“But you don’t give us a company, a project, anything…”

“I’m a contract worker. I go where I’m needed.”

“Or where you’re assigned.” Clemmons corrected.

“No.”

“Isn’t it true you’re a structural engineer for the NIA? You get hired to blow things up and collect intelligence across the borders?”

“I…”

“I’m waiting, Mr. Olsen!”

“Your honor I object to this line of questioning! It has no merit ….”

“You opened this line of questioning counselor.” Judge Stephens turned to Jack, “The witness will answer the question.”

Jack’s eyes narrowed, “Even if I were how would that make my son guilty? How would my involvement in an organization that keeps this country safe cause, my son, to be guilty of this ugly crime? You have no case. No motive. Your evidence is weak at best. You’re reaching, Mr. Clemmons. I’ve known Jimmy his entire life, and he would never do the things you’re accusing him of….”

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes.'” Clemmons’ eyes narrowed.

“He didn’t do this.”

“Your Honor!” Constance shouted.

“The witness is excused.” Clemmons waved Jack off.

“You’ll rot in hell for this! He’s a kid! An innocent kid!”

“You’re excused, Mr. Olsen!”

<“Lois?? There’s some Pest Control guy here….”

“Okay, let them in.”

“I did. They’ve sprayed everywhere already.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“They’ve sprayed everywhere but your room.”

“Oh.” >

<“I’m not liking that towel very much right now.”

“No?”

“No.”>

Lex clicked the remote once more, rewinding the tape and playing it back again.

<“I’m not liking that towel very much right now.”

“No?”

“No.”>

He scowled, watching as Lois willingly gave herself over to that hack partner of hers.

How dare she?

TBC...
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube