Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 22
Agent Davenport laid a black and white photo on Mayson's desk, "Mark Fuentes, AKA Rage Bomber. He was caught by our surveillance team with this detective outside the precinct."

Mayson pursed her lips, "Is it enough to charge anyone?"

"Not yet," Agent Woods chimed in, "but it is enough to get a warrant to put him under surveillance."

Mayson nodded, "Do it."

"Our team has found a connection between this detective and several officers in both the prison and the department. We're thinking there might be a connection between these officers and the escape of the prisoner, Toni Taylor the other night." Davenport added, tapping the file in his hand as he spoke.

"Wouldn't surprise me," Mayson mused, turning her chair from side to side as she contemplated the information she'd been given.

"Inspector Henderson seemed to think this 'boss' was behind all the crime in Metropolis." Woods began hesitantly, "Our theory is his reach is stretched outside of Metropolis and into parts of Washington as well."

Mayson let out a frustrated growl, "How does this happen? How does one place get so....?"

"Corrupt?" Davenport suggested.

"Broken," Mayson said sadly.

"If we work together on this we should be able to bring him down in no time." Agent Woods reassured.

"I hope so." Mayson sighed.

Jack Olsen sifted through the paperwork Perry White had handed him, trying to make sense out of what was happening to his son. "How is this even considered a terroristic act?"

"Well, that's where your help will be needed, Mr. Olsen," Perry explained, "The state's case is that because you're in the NIA Jimmy attacked the Planet in retaliation of editorials printed against the NIA in support of...you." Perry cocked an eyebrow, showing he didn't believe the charges.

"Where would they get this idea?" Jack asked, "I mean, I..." He stopped for a moment, remembering he couldn't give himself away, "I'm just a, uh, structural engineer. I'm no spy," He chuckled at the last statement.

"We're not sure." Perry sighed, "That's where you'll come in. Once we can get the charges of you being connected to the NIA dismissed their whole case falls apart."

"Really?" Jack felt like the wind had been knocked out of him.

Did someone know?

How could they know?

Even his wife and son didn't know what he really did.

"Well, I'll do what I can to help, Mr. White." He was quiet for a moment before asking the question he'd been dying to ask since the plane landed. "Can I see him?"

Lucy set down her suitcase and leaned back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. The apartment appeared to be in the same shape it was when they'd left it. The melted bag of peas she'd been nursing her bruised face from the other night still laid on the corner of the bed. Everything was the same yet different.

Is he or isn't he?

That was the question that kept racing through her mind. The entire flight back she'd tried to get Superman to talk, but he remained his usual stoic self, flying her back to Metropolis. Nothing recognizable that she could associate with Clark Kent.

What would Lois do?

Lois.

She wasn't sure what to think about her sister at the moment. If what she suspected was true her sister had been knowingly deceiving her for months. She wasn't sure how she felt about that. She wasn't even sure if she knew what she thought she knew.

"Argh!" Lucy yelled into the throw pillow in frustration before tossing it to the ground.

A Bruise. He had a bruise.

Superman doesn't bruise.

He was bleeding.

Superman doesn't bleed.

He was drunk.

Superman doesn't get drunk.

Why was he being so shady about his connection to Superman?

How did he know things that only Superman knew?

What was that comment about 'Flyboy'?

None of it made sense.

The sound of the telephone ringing caught Lucy by surprise. She reached over to answer it, remembering that Lois wasn't home, "Hello?"

"Lois?" the gruff sound of Perry White's voice echoed on the other side of the telephone.

"No, Mr. White this is Lucy." she corrected.

"Ah, I've got an update on Jimmy's case. Can you have Lois and Clark meet me outside the Planet when they get in?" Perry asked.

"Uh, sure," She began, uncertain when they would actually be getting in. Lois had taken all the information they had on Lex Luthor and moved it out of the apartment for safe keeping. She still wasn't sure where it had been moved to or when her sister was coming back. "I'm not sure when she'll be in though."

"She's not answering her cell," Perry added in a gruff tone.

"I'll have her call you when she gets in," Lucy reassured. "Mr. White?"

"Yes?"

"How is he?" Lucy asked, uncertain if she wanted to know the answer.

"He's a strong kid. He's hanging in there." Perry reassured. She could hear the strain in his voice.

“Yeah,” Lucy said sadly, glancing at the door sadly. She heard a hard knock coming from the front door, “I’ve gotta go, Mr. White. Someone’s at the door.”

“Be careful,” He cautioned.

Lucy had already hung up and was on her way to answer the door when he finished his statement. She opened the door and found a Lex Power crew standing outside the door, “May I help you?”

The older man nodded, “Monthly service call. It’ll only take a few minutes, Ma’am,”

Lucy eyed the balding man uncertainly. He pulled out his credentials, and she relaxed, “Okay.” She opened the door for them to enter the apartment.

Vicki Vale smiled at the cameras which were hooked up to portable power generators along with the lights and special effects. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. Bruce had a lighting contractor and electrician come out and help hook the system up so that everything was powered by a separate generator so they could do the show by rotating the generators.

"Welcome back everyone. I'm Vicki Vale, and you're watching the Vicki Vale Show." Vicki smiled into the camera. "Our first story this evening is something very dear and close to my heart, the destruction of the Daily Planet. A young man has been charged with this heinous act, an innocent young man. I for one want to know what we’re going to do about it. We cannot continue to let corruption plague this city.”

"Welcome back everyone. I'm Vicki Vale, and you're watching the Vicki Vale Show." Vicki smiled into the camera. "Our first story this evening is something very dear and close to my heart, the destruction of the Daily Planet. A young man has been charged with this heinous act, an innocent young man. I for one want to know what we’re going to do about it. We cannot continue to let corruption plague this city.”

Lex clicked his remote to turn the footage off on Vicki Vale, "Always one step ahead," He muttered under his breath. A knock on the wooden door frame behind him caught his attention, and he spun around in his chair to face the intruder, "Nigel, any updates?"

Nigel handed him the file in his hands, "Our men were able to find information on the location of young Jack and his brother off the Coast of the Caribbean. It appears he's listed as a material witness along with..."

Lex's eyes narrowed, "Along with who?"

"Dr. Sam Lane," Nigel spoke cautiously.

"And the computer chip?" Lex asked.

"Gone. All the notes were destroyed." Nigel explained.

"Any update on a location on him?" Lex asked.

"None."

"Send Fuentes to the Caribbean and Toni after Dr. Lane." Lex ordered, lifting a cigar from his case, "Keep an eye out for Lois Lane. She may have been in hiding, but she won't stay that way for long. I want to know the second she returns to Metropolis."

"Yes, sir,"

After dropping their research off with Perry and leaving Sam with Bill Henderson to go over what he knew during his time at LexLabs Lois and Clark arrived at his apartment. He unlocked the front door, lowering his glasses as he scanned for any listening or monitoring devices. "Anything?" Lois asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He shook his head, "We're clear." He closed the door behind them and locked the deadbolt before turning to face Lois. "How are you doing?"

“Okay, I guess.” She didn’t sound very convincing. He wrapped a supportive arm around her and guided her into the living room. “Are you sure having everything at Perry’s is the safest thing right now?”

He nodded, “We have backups at my folks, but for now keeping everything there is safer for everyone. He said he wanted to go through what we had too and try and find what he could on Luthor. Another pair of eyes can only help.”

“Daddy’s still not sure about testifying,” Lois said, sinking into the soft cushions of his couch.

Clark took a seat next to her, stroking her jawline with his palm, “Neither is Jack.”

“I don’t know if we’ll be able to build a strong enough case.” Lois’ voice cracked as she spoke. “How do three hundred and fifty-seven videos get up and walk out of police custody without leaving a trail?”

Clark’s head rested against hers, reaching his hand out for hers as he spoke, “One thing I’ve learned over the last year is to expect the unexpected. Luthor had to have people on the inside warning him about what was coming down. We need to find out who.”

“Explains how he disappeared before getting served with the arrest warrant.” Lois mused aloud, lacing her fingers in-between his and resting her head on his shoulder.

“Yep,” Clark muttered bitterly, stroking the top of her knuckles with his thumb. “We underestimated him. We won’t do that again.” He turned to look at her, “I have a feeling Lucy was right about Luthor being behind that oil rig explosion.”

“I had the same feeling,” Lois whispered softly, moving closer, so her legs were curled up on his lap as she rested her head on his chest. “He’s out of control.”

“All those people…” Clark muttered bitterly, pinching the bridge of his nose. Lois moved her hand to cup his cheek, catching his gaze.

“Clark, it was not your fault.” Her words hit a nerve. How was it she knew he was blaming himself for those lives he wasn’t able to save? His lips tightened, forming a thin line and she turned to look at him, cupping both sides of his face as she repeated, “It was not your fault.”

“If we had just…”

She put a finger to his lips, silencing him, “I was not your fault.” She repeated once more. He debated whether he should try to discuss the what-if scenarios he’d been replaying in his head since that morning or just let her win this argument for a moment. The inner debate soon became a moot point when she whispered, “Kiss me.”

He happily obliged, pulling her closer to him as he sought her lips out with his own, lightly at first then growing with more intensity as he sought her out hungrily. He couldn't get enough of the feel of her lips on his or the way that her mouth parted open just enough for him to taste the remnants of her coffee from earlier. Needing to feel her body against his, he pulled her on his lap, so she was straddling him, increasing the contact between them with each caress. He pleaded for more as his lips shuddered desperately into her mouth, pulling passionately on hers. She willingly gave in, deepening the kiss until it became frantic, eager, demanding.

“I’m…right…here.” She reassured him, running her hands up and down his chest as she loosened his collar, unbuttoning his black button down shirt one by one and tightening her thighs around his torso.

“I…need….you,” His voice cracked in-between heated kisses, running his hands up and down her upper thighs.

“Everything’s fine.” She reassured him, tugging the cotton shirt from his jeans as she pressed herself against him, “Kiss me.”

He obliged, running his hands through her hair as he fingered through her dark locks, feeling the softness against his fingertips. Unwilling to break contact but desperate for the closeness he knew was sure to follow he stood up, wrapping her legs around him as he carried her to the bedroom.

“Clark!”

Two men in an unmarked car sat outside Clark Kent’s apartment complex. After watching the couple enter the apartment the first man made the call, “Sir? We’ve just spotted them. Yes. Both of them.” He nodded to his counterpart who began pulling out surveillance equipment, “Outside? Yes, sir.”

“You are so sexy,” Clark murmured, whispering feather light kisses against her throat, slipping his hands beneath the hem of her t-shirt he’d released from its neatly tucked home in her jeans that now lay discarded on his bedroom floor. She fingered the buttons of his shirt, popping them open one by one as she helped shed him of his shirt.

“So much better…” She said with gratification as her eyes lingered on his chest, running her hands up and down his shoulders seductively. He groaned his approval, slipping his hands beneath the hem of her shirt and she whispered, “Kiss me,” She leaned her head back against the mattress, staring up at the ceiling as he fingered the waistband of her cotton panties, “Love me.”

“I love you.” He whispered in her ear, “I need you so much, Lois.”

“Oh, don’t stop, Clark,” She pleaded with him as her hands wandered down his chest. He watched mesmerized as she threw her head back, concentrating on his hands and their exploration of her soft curves. She reached up to remove his glasses, folding them and placing them on the nightstand behind them.

He stroked her cheek, capturing her lips with his own, feeling the moisture between her legs pool against his naked torso. His mouth came crashing down on hers as he thrust his tongue against her lips, demanding entrance. His hands found their home between her legs as he hungrily sought the taste of her tongue on his. She made a small sound in the back of her throat, pleading for more.

She drew her hands through his hair until they clasped the back of his neck, pulling him to her as she met his tongue in the warm confines of her mouth, teasing him with her taste.

Bill Henderson eyed Sam Lane hesitantly, "This super chip as you call it. When did you first learn of the intentions your employer had for it?"

Sam leaned forward to speak into the microphone Henderson was using to record the conversation. "I discovered my employer, Lex Luthor and Max Menken's intentions for using the super-chip to create a super-powered army of criminals right before my friend Allie Dinello was murdered."

"How did you come about this information?"

"I overheard a conversation between the two of them in Max Menken's office."

"Did you see Lex Luthor enter or leave Max Menken's office?"

"Yes."

"Yes, what?"

"Yes I saw him enter and leave the office of Max Menken."

"When was this?" Henderson asked.

"Three hours before Allie Dinello was murdered."

"Do you have reason to believe Allie was murdered by anyone other than Max Menken?"

"Yes, I do."

"Who?"

"I believe Lex Luthor ordered the murder of Allie Dinello when he refused to cover up the use of robotics in the boxers at Menken's Gym."

"How long have you worked for LexLabs, Dr. Lane?"

"I was offered a chance to create a breakthrough medical miracle by Lex Luthor after Menken was murdered."

"You say murdered?" Henderson pressed. "It was ruled a self-defense shooting."

"If you say so." Dr. Lane's face was grim.

"You don't believe it was an accident?"

"After what I've learned over the last year nothing surprises me anymore."

“What was the purpose for this super-chip?” Henderson asked.

“To murder Superman and become the most powerful man in the world.” Dr. Lane’s lips tightened into a thin line with his last statement.

Nigel programmed the monitors in the office as Lex readied himself, “Cameras have been set up. As long as our friendly neighborhood alien stays away, you should be able to monitor what’s going on at both Mr. Kent and Ms. Lane’s residence without detection.”

Lex took the remote from Nigel and ushered him away, “Be sure to reward the boys for their diligence.” Nigel nodded and left, leaving Lex alone with the monitoring system once more. He clicked the remote, and the image of Clark Kent’s and Lois Lane’s apartments filled the screen side by side.

Clark floated himself and Lois upward to the ceiling, meeting Lois’ gaze he cupped her cheek, devouring her lips with his own as he lost himself in her arms. “Yes, oh, yes…” She murmured against his lips incoherently.

“Oh, Lois...” He buried his face into her hair, breathing her scent in deeply. His body shifted against hers as he rejoiced in finding solace in the arms of the woman he loved. “God you’re incredible, Lois…You mean everything to me.”

She reached up to stroke his jaw. “Oh, Clark,” He leaned in to kiss her. “I love you so much.”

“What is this?” Lex snarled at the screen, hitting button after button. Nothing on the screen of Clark Kent’s apartment other than empty rooms. Nothing on the screen of Lois Lane’s apartment other than empty rooms. No audio. No nothing. “Nigel!”

He had received the call that Lois Lane and Clark Kent were spotted and the surveillance system had been set up. Now, they had disappeared.

Where had they gone?

Jimmy sat in his cell, watching at the guards moved up and down the halls. He couldn't sleep. He couldn't eat. He was always waiting for the next bomb to drop. The charges against him were serious. They were untrue, but they were serious. Right now he didn't know how far this frame up would go.

How corrupt was the justice system?

A knock at the cell door caught his attention and Jimmy stood to his feet as he'd been instructed on his intake for when a guard entered the cell. "James Olsen. You've got a visitor. Your sister."

He started to say he didn't have a sister but thought it a bad idea. Knowing Lois, she's probably lied her way in to see him. Hopefully, she had some news on their investigation and could shed some light on the plan to get his name cleared.

Jimmy arrived in the visitor's room, and to his surprise, it wasn't his friend he saw, but his girlfriend, Lucy Lane. "Lucy, what are you doing here?" He took a seat across the table from her.

She pushed a stray hair behind her ear and gave him a watery smile, "I had to see you."

Nigel returned to the underground office where Lex had his surveillance system displaying the apartments of Lois Lane and Clark Kent. "Well, where are they?" Lex demanded. "You said you had men on the ground. They couldn't just disappear."

"Sir, they've assured me that Lois Lane and Clark Kent went inside the apartment and have not come out," Nigel reassured.

Lex motioned to the screens, "Well then I suppose they've both gained the power of invisibility..."

Nigel sighed, realizing he wasn't able to provide an answer that would satisfy his employer, "They've assured me..."

"Yes, yes, they've assured you. Where are they?" He motioned toward the empty apartments on the screens before throwing his remote through the screens, shattering them in an instant. Lex glared at Nigel angrily, “Find her.”

Nigel stared at the static that now filled the shattered screens and bowed his head before silently retreating.

Detective Harris stepped out of his car and headed toward the City Hall steps; a sly grin spread across his face as he patted his new detective's badge in the right breast pocket with his shield. It was a dream come true.

"Detective Harris?"

He looked behind him and saw a group of six men and women dressed in dark suits. Feds. They smelled like Feds. He groaned, uncertain what his options were at the moment.

"Don't even think about trying to make a run for it." A hard metal object hit the back of his neck, and he lifted his hands up in surrender.

"Mind telling me what this is about?"

The first man that had called his name pulled out his badge to identify himself, "Agent Davenport with the FBI. I think you and I need to have a long chat about your new boss."

"Commissioner Thompson?" He asked, confused.

"Lex Luthor." Davenport corrected, his eyes narrowing as he motioned for him to follow.

Lex stood in the middle of his underground office surrounded by billboard after billboard covered in everything he'd learned about the man of steel. Images of Lois Lane with Superman covered one board while the others were filled with articles by her and Clark Kent.

Another article had been circled in red. The missing Superman article by James Olsen and Lois Lane. Another billboard had images of each member of the Daily Planet with notes scribbled on them of interactions with the man of steel.

How was he still so far away from finding Superman's secret identity?

What was he missing?

In the rejected pile of possible aliases, the top photo had a large ‘x’ across it. The photograph showed Clark Kent.

The next morning Lois sat with Clark, reading over the latest 'online' version of the Daily Planet on her laptop as they worked on the follow-up on the sabotage of the oil rig and the recent sale of Honeybraun Industries to LexCorp.

"I think that's everything on the Honeybraun Industries story. I still don’t get what his angle is. They’re just an energy company like LexCorp." Lois sighed, pushing the send button with the click of the keyboard.

Clark shook his head, “Not from what I was reading.” He set his laptop down, showing her the screen he had pulled up. Under a different Alias, an international article showed the owner of Honeybraun Industries shaking hands with the President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, holding up a contract for the photographers.

“Is that..?” Lois gasped in surprise.

“Boris Yeltsin, President of Russia. Signing a deal with HB Weapons. Apparently, HB Weapons is Honeybraun Industries. They don’t manufacture in the US. They don’t sell to the US, but they do make weapons…a lot of them. The stuff these guys make LexCorp’s Weapon’s Division look like child’s play. They’ve got everything from sonar-powered bombs that paralyze the enemy to drones that shoot armies from the sky. Most of this stuff isn’t even legal.”

“So, if Lex bought Honeybraun Industries…”

“He bought HB Weapons as well along with every weapon they’ve sold, making dirty deals with third-world countries,” He pulled up another photo of Akbar Rafsanjani, the leader of Iran.

Lois reached over him, scrolling through article after article he’d been sent from his contact, Matt Young with the NIA. “Who’s this Matt Young?”

“A guy that helped me on a gun runner story some years back,” Clark explained. “He was just a field agent back then. He’s moved up and now heads up the International Trades in the NIA. Has a lot of contacts with the UN.”

“If Lex has this…” Lois pointed to a large satellite on the screen with Saddam Hussein, leader of Iraq.

“I know.” He grimaced, glancing at the time he reminded her, "What time did Lucy say we needed to meet Perry at the Planet?"

Lois shrugged, "I don't know that she actually gave a time. Just to meet him at the Planet.”

Clark reached for the phone, dialing Perry’s number. Lois continued scrolling through the articles and images on Clark’s computer. “Hey, Chief?”

“Clark, good to hear from you. I spoke with Lois’ sister yesterday. I’ve got some news.” Perry explained on the other end of the line.

“What kind of news?” Clark asked, glancing at the screen that showed Lex Luthor and the leader of Honeybraun Industries shaking hands at the press conference, confirming the sale to LexCorp.

“We might have a break in Jimmy’s case. Can you meet me in front of the Planet in say….half an hour?”

Lois pulled up the record detailing the sale of HB Weapons to LexCorp and the patent transfer to Lex Luthor. Lois’ face fell in dismay as she ran a hand through her hair. “Clark? Are you still there, son?”

“I’m here, Chief,” He reached over to close the lid to his laptop, squeezing Lois’ hand, “We’ll see you in a few.”

“Clark…” Lois breathed, turning to look at him.

“I know. Believe me, I know. We’ve got to get going. Perry said he’s got a break in Jimmy’s case. We can sort through this later.”

Lex paced across the room, barking orders as Mrs. Cox and Nigel scrambled to jot down his orders in a frenzy. “Every surveillance we’ve tried has been thwarted. Superman cannot be everywhere. We need something undetectable.”

“Lex, if I may?” Mrs. Cox attempted to interrupt but was rewarded with a cold stare.

“Superman has a secret identity. Now, I don’t know where he lives. So I can’t set up surveillance on him, but I do know who he associates with. Keep Lois Lane under constant surveillance.”

“But…” Mrs. Cox began to argue. The cold stare she received back made her think better of it.

“Get LexLabs on this immediately. There has to be a way to keep her under surveillance without alerting Superman. Find a way and get it done.”

“Yes, sir,” Nigel nodded his agreement.

“Now about the testing on the Kryptonite…”

Lois stared at the building that had once held such prestige and meaning. It seemed so broken without the Daily Planet globe hanging high from the front of the building. In its place were blackened sheets and graffiti stained concrete. "This is depressing."

Clark wrapped a protective arm around her from behind, "We'll rebuild." He reminded her, "It's just a building."

"Gone." Perry approached them from behind in a gruff whisper, "All gone." He looked up toward the building with them. "Still hard to believe someone would do something like this."

"And pin it on Jimmy of all people," Clark muttered bitterly, making his disapproval of the situation clear.

Perry nodded, "They said the incendiary device that did this was in traced to materials they found in his apartment. Jimmy says he's never seen or heard of any of the stuff. It's a frame up if I ever saw one."

"What is Jimmy's lawyer saying?" Lois asked.

"Unless we can get Jimmy's father to disprove the connection to the NIA Jimmy will be facing federal charges in federal court." Perry began.

"Over my dead body." Came a voice from the corner of the Planet. Lois and Clark looked to see a tall man in a suit with salt and pepper hair, carrying a briefcase. He approached them with his hand extended, "You must be Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Jimmy talks about you quite a bit in his emails."

"Emails?" Lois asked.

"We stay in touch while I'm traveling." He explained, shaking her hand, "I'm Jack Olsen, Jimmy's dad."

"Pleased to meet you," Clark said, shaking his hand. "How soon do you think we can get Jimmy cleared of this mess?"

"That's going to be up to the courts." Jack sighed. "I don't have the kind of clearance the police seem to think I do." He smiled good-naturedly, catching Clark's eyes for a moment before turning away. "The most important thing right now is to get rid of the NIA charge and then the rest should fall apart."

"How do we do that?" Lois asked.

Perry patted Jack on the shoulder, “Jack here has agreed to submit to a polygraph to prove he is not an NIA spy. Constance is requesting a statement from the NIA to confirm Jack Olsen is not employed by the NIA.” Lois noticed Jack visibly tense at the last statement as Perry continued. “We should have this whole thing thrown out within the week.”

“Great.” Lois smiled, uncertain of how convinced Perry was of his promise.

Lucy followed Lois and Clark into the apartment, carrying the boxes of files, "Geez, did you leave any for anyone else?" She asked, setting them down on the coffee table.

"Jimmy's case files," Clark explained, setting a box down next to Lucy's. "We're trying to pick everything apart so we can help Constance get him cleared."

"Good idea." Lucy said, looking at the files, "Where do we start?"

Lois opened the lid to the first file box, “I guess we start here.” She handed Lucy a large envelope titled ‘DP Arson 10:01 Left Perimeter.’ Lucy took the envelope from her and began to open it. Lois reached in and began pulling out envelopes with similar files with the same note written on them. She handed a stack to Clark and began to open them.

“They’re pictures.” Lucy breathed, showing the image of the Daily Planet in flames.

“Oh,” Lois said, looking down at the stack of envelopes in her hand. Was she ready to look at these? She glanced back at her sister who had thankfully placed the photograph back in her lap, meeting her eyes with a concerned expression. She grimaced as she looked at the familiar images. Images of the panicked faces that had surrounded her that day and the look of dread on Clark’s face when they’d been trapped in that elevator flashed through her mind.

‘Don’t go there.’ She reminded herself.

“Lois?” Lucy waved in her direction. Clark gave her arm a gentle squeeze. She looked back in surprise. “Are you gonna be okay?”

“Fine.” She gave a forced smile that neither of them was convinced of.

Lucy sighed, taking the stack of envelopes from her, tossing them in the box and carrying it toward the dining room, “No you’re not.”

“What are you doing?” Lois asked.

“I’m going to sort through the photos. You find anymore you can bring them to me. You two see if you can find anything else in the other two boxes.” Lucy called over her shoulder.

Lois visibly relaxed, grateful once again for her little sister’s ability to read the situation and take over without being asked. Clark reached over and opened the second box, grabbing the lid from it. She sighed in relief when she saw a stack of reports on top. Boring reports that didn’t show her friends and co-workers on the worst day of their lives.

“Here.” He handed her a stack of folders on top for her to start sorting through.

She grabbed the top file and opened it. It was the preliminary report from the Fire Marshall on the arson. ‘Incinary device containing C12 found in an unmarked package. Numerous incendiary devices found inside elevator shaft…’

Lois stopped reading, pushing the images of the elevator shaft being engulfed in flames as Clark flew them through the glass window at the top. The heat that had surrounded them had been terrifying but she never once doubted he’d get them out.

The look on his face that day, though. That had scared her. He had been terrified of not getting everyone out. He’d been terrified of not getting all those men out on the oil rig explosion. It was just another example of how personally Clark took all his rescues.

She glanced over at him, reading through the police report on Jimmy and reached for his hand, squeezing it gently. He glanced back at her, and she saw the same dread she felt reflected in his eyes. She rested her head against his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around her. They continued sorting through the reports in silence, trying to make sense out of the case that was being brought against Jimmy.

Fuentes landed outside the airspace on the private jet provided to him by Lex Luthor. He breathed in the fresh ocean air, looking around the peaceful surroundings as he pulled out his phone, “Boss? We’re here.”

Mayson clicked the inside of her mouth with her tongue as she paced in front of Detective Harris in the interrogation room Agent Davenport had set up in the DA's office. "Harris, let's talk."

Harris looked back between Mayson and Davenport that sat across from him, "What's to talk about?"

"Let's start with Luthor," Davenport said with a smile.

"Nice guy. Don't know him that well. Next." Harris shrugged.

Mayson raised an eyebrow then started laying photograph after photograph out for him, showing surveillance images of Harris with Nigel St. John, Mark Fuentes, and several members of the Metros. "These were just taken within the last forty-eight hours. I have more." She waved a manila envelope in her hands.

"Can't prove nothing." He scoffed, looking at the pictures warily.

"Let's see, this is you talking to Mark Fuentes a few hours before he showed up at Ellen Lane's residence and tried to break in. A nosy busy body recognized you from your photo." Mayson pointed out. "Then we have you here exchanging what looks like an envelope of money for some information with Mr. St. John a known spy and assassin the FBI has under surveillance. Were you selling Girl Scout cookie recipes, Harris? Oh, I know you were signing up for Highlights." Mayson's eyes darkened, slamming both hands on the table causing him to jump.

"I'd start talking if I were you." Davenport warned as he cleaned off his glasses, "I've seen her mad and it ain't a pretty sight."

"There's nothing to talk about," Harris argued.

"No?" Mayson pulled out another photo of Harris and Jenkins at Bill Henderson's desk, pulling classified photos out and snapping photos of them. "Bet you didn't know you were on Candy Camera, huh?" Mayson's mouth twitched as she fought the smile that was threatening to overtake her face when she saw the beads of sweat drip down Harris' forehead. "Still so sure about the no talking stance or should I go on?"

At LexLabs Dr. Gretchen Kelly had begun work on Lex’s request for an undetectable monitoring system. She handed a blue substance to Lex in a bottle, “I’ve liquified our sonar detection system, revolutionizing the world of surveillance. Superman can’t see or hear it because it doesn’t give off a sound and it’s practically invisible to the naked eye.”

“Sonar? Like a bat?” Lex asked.

She smiled, “Yes. Exactly. Bats are able to detect things around them by setting off a sonar signal. That’s how our earlier device worked, plugging into the power system instead of actual sonar. This will show you everything.”

“Keep talking,” Lex instructed, intrigued by what he heard.

She handed him a small round device, “Plug this into your computer, and it’ll act as an invisible feed, showing everything that is happening in the area treated. It only lasts 12 hours at a time though.”

His face scowled, “Only twelve hours?”

“It’s still in the testing stages, Lex.” Dr. Kelly explained.

“It’ll have to do for now.” Lex reasoned with a worried expression.

Lucy stretched her arms up over her head, looking at the progress she’d made. She glanced toward the living room where Lois and Clark had made piles on the floor of the different pieces of evidence against Jimmy. “Anything?” She asked, walking into the living room with her third cup of coffee.

Lois looked up from the floor where she had parked herself in front of the line of reports. “It all seems circumstantial at best.” She sighed, running a hand through her hair, “I mean, if I were prosecuting this case I wouldn’t take it to trial.”

Lucy took a seat across from Lois, reading the report in front of her, “Receipt for purchase of C12?” She scrunched up her nose.

“From a public computer that Jimmy happens to have access to.” Clark added bitterly, placing another folder in the stack, “Here’s more on the NIA angle.”

“Thanks,” Lois placed it in the taller of the three stacks in front of her.

Lucy let out a long sigh, taking a sip of her coffee, “You don’t think there’s anything to that, do you?” She glanced at the stack of files, her eyes widening as she took in the difference between the evidence of the actual explosion and the evidence that Jimmy’s dad was actually in the NIA.”

“I don’t know,” Lois said softly. “Perry said Jack denied being a part of the NIA, but the reality is we just met him. From what Jimmy has said over the years he wasn’t really close with his dad.”

“For argument’s sake, even if his dad is in the NIA it doesn’t give any more water to their sorry excuse of a case,” Clark added. “There is no way Jimmy would do this. There is no way this is anything but a carefully orchestrated set-up.” Lucy glanced toward him. He had his sleeves pushed up to his elbows a pencil tucked behind his ear and his hair ragged from running his hand through it a thousand times that day. It was evident Jimmy’s case was getting to both her sister and Clark.

“I just wish we could convince the judge of that,” Lucy said sadly.

“We will,” Lois reassured her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

She smiled at both of them, “I hope so.”

“We’ve got a request in to get the tapes from all the businesses around the Planet that day. Hopefully there’s something somewhere showing what happened that day that can help lead us to the real arsonist.” Lois explained.

“I’d love it if it leads right to Lex Luthor’s doorstep but we all know that’s wishful thinkin—”
She noticed Clark fidgeting in his seat, wiggling his finger in his ear, looking at Lois. She nodded, and he stood up, “I-I’m gonna take a break and stretch my legs. I’m seeing double. How about some dinner?”

“A little early, but sure. I could eat.” Lucy smiled, “Maybe some Chinese?” She pointed at the phone, “We could order in…”

“I was just gonna go pick it up. It’ll be faster.” He explained, already standing up and heading for the door.

“The closest Chinese restaurant is all the way across town. You don’t have a car.”

“It’s not that far.” He said with a smile, opening the door to leave. “I’ll be back in a bit.”

“But…”

Before she could argue any further, he’d already left. Lucy looked at the closed door in dismay turning to her sister who seemed oblivious. “Lois?”

Lois had a pencil in her mouth, sifting through another file, oblivious to what had just happened. “Hmm?” She scrunched up her nose, penciling a note on the report in her hand.

Lucy waved a hand in her sister’s face, “Earth to Lois!”

Lois looked up, “What?”

Lucy pointed to the empty seat on the couch, “What is up with your boyfriend? He just said he’s going to go for a walk and pick up lunch….on the other side of town?”

Lois looked at her confused for a moment then shrugged, “Yeah, he’ll be back. What’s the big deal?”

Lois stared back at her with an inquisitive look. What’s the big deal? That’s her sister—prize winning investigative journalist's—reaction? She could press it but seeing how deep Lois was into Jimmy’s case she thought better of it. “Nothing.” She reached over her, “Hand me that report on the evidence they collected from Jimmy’s apartment.

Davenport paced the office of Victor Talley, Director of Major Crimes with the FBI, “
I don't have time to get a warrant from some hung-over judge. Just give me the go-ahead, Victor,
and I promise -- as soon as this is over -- you can brand my rear end with the Fourth Amendment.”

“In seventy-two point bold,” Victor stated.

“In seventy-two point bold.” Davenport agreed, recognizing the phrase from numerous conversations he’d had with the director over the past year.

Talley looked at the file on his desk, “Davenport, this is too big.”

“Which is why….” Davenport began to argue.

“We have to mind our ‘p’s, and ‘q’s, on this one. Can’t let him slip through the cracks again. Get Judge Stephens to sign off on this, and you have the go-ahead.”

“Stephens???” Davenport scoffed, “Victor are you out of your mind???”

“He’s the one assigned to this case.”

“He’s dirty.”

“He’s the judge.”

“He’s in Luthor’s pocket.”

“Prove it,” Victor said, handing the file back to him with the warrant request. “The answer is no.”

Outside Metropolis Savings and Loan Clark landed still hearing the alarm but not seeing anything out of the ordinary other than a guard on the front steps looking around confused, “Sir?”

The guard waved and approached him at the same time the alarm stopped. “Thanks for coming, Superman but it was a false alarm. The security system just went crazy all of a sudden. Sorry to take your time.”

Clark gave a reassuring smile, “No problem at all.” He moved toward the steps to leave and felt a numbing pain run through his body.

“Superman? Are you okay?” The guard asked, looking at him in concern.

The pain slowly subsided, and Clark looked around, trying to see if there was anywhere he could pinpoint as the source of the pain. Panic filled his mind and realization dawned on him that kryptonite was nearby. Thankfully wherever it was, didn’t appear to be close enough to affect him. “Yes.” He managed, scanning the crowd of people and parked cars around them. There were too many to check. He still felt weak, but his powers appeared to still be intact. He sighed in relief, “I’m fine…now.”

Around the corner Mrs. Cox pulled out her cell phone, smiling as she hummed to herself, “Lex? Project K is a go ahead. We have the genuine article.” From beneath her coat, she pulled out a necklace with a large glowing green rock.

TBC...
Will Write For Comments

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube