Rated PG-13

/ “text”/ indicates telepathic communication
*text* indicates bold
<text> indicates thoughts
{text} indicates over the telephone

Universal Locator designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
Universal Locator designation Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Alt 25 Shadow

Preeviously

Lamont tried to be supportive, as he said, “I’m sure that everything will work out. You’ll be back in your fiancé’s arms before you know it and I’ll have Margot back.”

Faux Margot yawned, demurely, and replied, “I hope so. Well, I’m going to go to bed. Goodnight!”

“Goodnight, Miss Lane.”

She turned and headed for the bedroom. As she closed the door behind her, the tears that she had been holding back could be held no longer. That kiss she had shared with Lamont had reminded her strongly of Clark and the fact that he wasn’t here had been a trial from that point on. She sank down on the bed and was as silent as possible in her grief. She and Clark had literally just gotten engaged. They were finally starting to plan their lives together and Tempus had to step in and rip her away from that. After all that they had been through, to have that happen - just who did Tempus think he was anyway? Who made him the judge and jury over them? Mixed with all of her grief was a fair amount of anger, mostly at Tempus.

After a time, Lois shook herself and said to herself, “That’s enough of this self-pity. There is a job to do. He might not be your actual father, but there is a Samuel Lane here and he is in danger. If you’re going to help Lamont and save this Sam, you need some sleep.” So saying, she got up and looking through the dresser, found some silk nightgowns. Selecting one in a pastel turquoise she removed her clothing and slipped it on over her head. Margot must have had a sachet in the drawer with her lingerie because the delicate scent of jasmine floated around her head. The feel of the silk against her skin was distinctly sensual and she reveled in the feel. It felt like Clark caressing her and that brought another tear to her eye. Again she shook herself and chastising herself, muttered, “Enough of that. Go to bed.”

If Lamont had been there, he might have heard Lois’s self-dialogue, however, as soon as her door had closed, he had been in motion.

Moving to the cabinet, he had donned his slouch hat and taking the cloak from its hanger had swept it around his shoulders. Moving to the other side of the apartment, he opened a concealed door to reveal an elevator which he took down below the lobby level to a secret garage. Entering the dark sedan that awaited him there, he started the powerful motor and began to drive up the ramp. As he did, he broke an electronic beam which actuated an automatic garage door that was camouflaged on the outside to look like a blank brick wall.

He drove to a spot near Police Headquarters and parked. The car door opened, apparently of its own accord because there was no human presence detectable. In a few seconds, a little used side door opened and closed.

The Shadow passed through the duty room and none of the uniformed officers there were the wiser. He made his way to Commissioner Weston’s office. Once he was in the office, he took a sheet of paper from a drawer and wrote, in large block letters, “CHECK HAPPY HOLLOWS CEMETERY, CARLETON POWERS IS NOT IN HIS COFFIN. HE MAY HAVE FAKED HIS OWN DEATH AND MAY BE THE MURDERER.”
The signature was a single stylized ‘S’ written in a long sweeping stroke.

He positioned his missive in the center of the desk so that it wouldn’t be missed and left as silently as he had arrived.

And now:

Chapter 9 –
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Shadow
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Lois awoke to the welcome aroma of coffee. Finding a silken wrap she pulled it on and slipping her feet into a pair of mules, headed for the living room.

“Good morning, Miss Lane.”

Lois smiled and said, “After that kiss last night, I think you can call me Lois.”

Smiling, he nodded as he replied, “Ah, yes, I suppose so, and please, call me Lamont. Coffee?”

“Yes, please, Lamont.” She giggled at the use of his first name. As he poured, she asked, “So, how far have we gotten?”

As he handed her the coffee, he said, “Last night I left a missive for the commissioner, alerting him to the fact that Powers’ coffin was empty. I presume that he will follow up on that this morning.”

Lois sat on one of the chairs and crossed her legs. She was thoughtful as she handled her coffee cup. Finally, as she sipped her coffee, she said, “I’ve been thinking about the things that the Commissioner said last night. Powers had a brother and that brother splits his time between a relative and a hospital. The hospital is here in the city. Could we check on the dates of the killings and the days that the brother is at the relative’s and the hospital? I’d like to see if there is a correlation of the dates, one way or the other.”

“That is a very good question.” Lamont moved to the phone, picked it up and dialed. {Burbank.} “Orders. Have Clyde Burke obtain the sign-in register for the Memorial Rehabilitation Hospital. Have him check the dates that Dwayne Powers was signed in. He should send the list to me by Rutledge Mann. That is all.”

While he was on the phone, Lois had picked up the paper she had purchased the day before and turned to the article about the murders. She folded the paper to the article and as Lamont hung up the phone, she said, “I have the dates of the killings so far. They were published in the paper.” She looked at the list and said, in an urgent tone, “According to this, if Powers keeps to his schedule, the next victim will be killed tonight. Oh, Lamont, we have to try and prevent that.”

“That is my intent, but the problem is, there are at this time two possibilities, the remaining juror and the governor.” Making a decision, Lamont crossed to the phone again and dialed, {Burbank.} “Orders. Have Miles Croftin preflight the autogyro. I may be making a flight to Albany this evening.” {Will do.} Thoughtfully, Lamont hung up the phone. Turning to Lois he said, “It will all depend on what we find on the lists. It always pays to be prepared.”

Concerned, Lois challenged, “In the paper, I read the list of the people that were threatened. Why didn’t you tell me that you were on that list?”

In a serious tone, Lamont replied, “No one has ever seen The Shadow. What does a shadow have to fear?”

He moved over to the phonograph in the corner, pulled a blank record from a stack in the cabinet underneath and placed it on the platform. As he did, Lois moved over to observe. Pulling out a microphone and plugging it in he prepared to make a recording. Before turning on the phonograph, he said to Lois. “Even the Shadow cannot be in two places at the same time. Tonight I am scheduled to make my weekly broadcast. Since I may be on my way to Albany, I will record my message and have Burbank play it over the remote connection to the radio station. No one will ever know the difference. I always do the broadcast from a remote location, but everyone thinks that I am in the closed and curtained studio doing it live.”

“What are you planning for this broadcast?”

“Why don’t you listen and see. Quiet please.”

Lois sat back down and listened. What she heard sent chills up and down her spine.

The chilling tones of The Shadow’s laugh preceded his speech. “HAhahahahahahahah. Who knows what evil luuurrrkkks in the heart of man? The Shadow Knows! HAhahahahahahahah.

There are those that think that Carlton Powers is carrying out his threat and killing those that convicted him. The Shadow knows differently. Twelve murders have been committed in the name of Carlton Powers, a convicted murderer in his own right, but this reign of terror is about to cease. The Shadow brought Carlton Powers to justice, now The Shadow is on the case once again. Tonight The Shadow will protect the remaining jurors. Death will not strike tonight. Many believe that it is the ghost of Carlton Powers that is striking down those that convicted him. Who better to catch a ghost than a … Shadow?”

He went on to describe the murders and what steps the police had taken. The things that were already in the paper, so he was not revealing anything new. "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay! The Shadow knows!" and concluded with his signature laugh, “HAhahahahahahahah.” Altogether it was a fifteen minute recording.

Lamont lifted the arm of the record player and stopped it. He then picked up the record, marked side one and slipped it into a paper sleeve. Turning to Lois he said, “When Rutledge Mann delivers the list, I will have him take this record to Burbank.”

“That was something. That laugh sent chills up my spine.”

With a chuckle, he replied, “It may have more to do with the way you are dressed than the quality of the laugh itself.”

She looked down at herself and smiled, “You may have something there. I think I will get dressed. What are we planning for today?”

“Once we have the list from the hospital, I may ask you to follow up on it. Make sure that it is accurate. Speak with some of the employees. Make sure that they have actually seen Dwayne Powers.”

“I’ll find something appropriate to wear.”

“While you dress, I’ll order breakfast. Would you like anything in particular?”

“My breakfast usually consists of coffee and a stale donut from the break area on the way out to cover a story, so anything would be an improvement.”

With a chuckle, Lamont said, “Home style breakfast it is.”

“You’re spoiling me terribly. When I get home, I’m going to be demanding similar treatment from Clark.”

He replied in a thoughtful tone, “I hope he is treating Margot well.”

Lois stopped and faced him. She replied, “Don’t get me wrong. Clark is a perfect gentleman. What I said about breakfast is because of our lifestyle, and no reflection on him. He will treat her like a princess because that is the way he treats me. I may have given you the wrong impression, but Clark is a sweetheart. My breakfast isn’t always stale donuts. Sometimes he flies all the way to Paris and brings me fresh, still hot from the oven, melt in your mouth, delicious, croissants. When we work late on a story sometimes he goes to Italy for pizza or Hong Kong for the most incredible Chinese food. He’s wonderful to me. Sometimes I feel like I don’t deserve him, but when that happens, he knows just the right thing to say and I love him that much more.”

“You miss him, don’t you?”

“How could I help it? He’s the love of my life.”

“As soon as we finish with this problem, we will do all that we can to get you home…”

“And Margot back where she belongs … in your arms.”

“Amen to that. You know, listening to you, hearing about your relationship with Clark, I begin to think that I should propose to Margot.”

“If you’re asking my advice, do it. Clark and I had a lot of things that came between us. We were in love with each other for a long time and I was afraid and denied it until it was almost too late. Don’t wait until it is too late for you and Margot. I’ve never been happier than now, ever since we became engaged and we know we are getting married. We can’t wait for the day. That’s why I need to get home so desperately. We’ve waited so long; I don’t want to wait any longer.” She paused, thinking if there was more to say on the subject. When she didn’t come up with anything, she said, “Well, I guess I’ll go get dressed.”

“And I shall order breakfast.”

Lois returned in one of Margot’s more modest dresses and sat to eat across from Lamont and as she picked up her fork, said, “It looks delicious as usual, Lamont.” Before she actually ate anything, she looked at Lamont, with a serious expression and said, “You know, I’ve been thinking. Remember what I said last night, about staying in character?”

“Of course.”

“Well, it occurred to me, after our conversation a while ago, if I am going to stay in character, it actually might be best if you called me Margot. We can’t afford any slip ups. I need to get use to responding to that name and you shouldn’t use Lois, because then you might slip.”

“You’re probably right. Okay, I shall call you Margot from now on.”

As they were finishing breakfast, there was a knock on the door. Lamont arose, crossed the floor to the door and opened it. Rutledge Mann, a tall man in a grey flannel, double-breasted suit entered. As he did, he spotted Lois at the table and greeted her, “Good morning, Miss Lane. Good to see you.”

Lois had her coffee cup in hand and used that to salute him as she had seen the commissioner’s wife do.

When she did, Rutledge man saw her engagement ring and turned on Lamont. “Were you trying to keep it a secret?”

Mystified, Lamont replied, “Keep what a secret?”

“You and Miss Lane … the engagement.”

As he said that, Lois looked at her hand and realized that she had forgotten to remove her engagement ring. She gave Lamont an ‘I’m sorry’ look.

He turned back to Rutledge and said, “We were going to be announcing it shortly. Please don’t let on that you have discovered our little secret.”

Rutledge winked and said, “My lips are sealed.” Reaching inside his jacket, he pulled out a thick envelope and handed it over, “This is from Clyde Burke. I think you were expecting it.”

“Yes, we were. Thank you.” He picked up the record from a side table and handed it to him. “Please deliver this to Burbank. He will know what to do with it.”

“Right away.” As he was about to depart, he turned to Lois and said, “Good to see you and congratulations.”

She blushed prettily and said, “Thank you.” As he turned and headed out the door.

Once the door was closed, she said, “I’m sorry. It’s just so much a part of me, I forgot to remove it.”

As he returned to the table, in a soothing tone, he replied, “Don’t worry about it. After our earlier discussion, I had already made up my mind to propose to Margot. I say, it may come as a surprise to her, but it is something I should have done long before now.”

Smiling, Lois replied, “I think she’ll get over her surprise quickly enough. You have an advantage. She knows that you are The Shadow. I didn’t know that Clark was Superman until recently. He kept it a secret, even from me. That was one of the things that came between us, but I got over it.”

“Thanks for that encouragement. Well, things are proceeding.”

“Are you planning to fly to Albany tonight?”

“No, actually, I have thought better of that. I will use the recording to lull the shooter into a false sense of security. He will think that I have gone to Albany when in reality; I plan to visit the final jury member, disguised as a police officer. I will use a subterfuge to have him leave his apartment then I will return to it.”

“But by taking his place, you will be risking being shot.”

“Actually, I had other things in mind. If the shooter takes a shot, no one will die, tonight. I plan to set up a decoy and if he takes a shot, all he will kill is some plaster.”

“Lamont, could I borrow some money? If I tried to pass the currency I had with me, they would think it is counterfeit and I don’t think that the credit card system has been invented yet.”

“Of course.” Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a billfold and extracted several $100 bills. As he handed them to her he inquired, “What is it that you need?”

“I only had the clothes I was dressed in when I arrived. I have Margot’s clothes, but there are some items that I use routinely, I call them my snooping clothes, dark slacks or jeans, a dark roll-neck sweater and sneakers, maybe a ski mask, if they’ve been invented. I’ve got a funny feeling I’ll need them. Like you, I try to blend into the darkness when I am snooping around someone’s office after hours. I’m not as effective at being invisible as you, but I try.”

Lamont picked up the phone and dialed. “Orders. Have Shrevvy pick up Miss Lane at the penthouse. As he hung the phone up he smiled and said, “Shrevvy will be here to pick you up shortly. Just tell him what you want. I’m sure he knows all about the stores in the city. He will take you to the best places for what you need.”

“While I’m out, what will you be doing?”

“I need to prepare for tonight.”

“Can you give me the address of the next victim?”

“It is 348 West 42nd street, apartment 507. Why do you need that information?”

“I want to see what’s in the area.”

“Ah, you want to ‘case the joint’ as they say.”

She smiled and replied, “Something like that.”

“Tonight will be a busy one. Shall we plan on dinner at six PM?”

As she tucked the money into her bag, she smiled and said, “Six it is.” As she turned the knob on the door, she said, “See you then.”

After her shopping trip, as Lois climbed into the back of the cab with her shopping bags, she said, “Shrevvy, I want you to take me to West 42nd street. We’re looking for 348. Once we get there I need you to find a place to park.”

“Sure teng, Miss Lane. Dats over near da Garment District, just west of Times Square. I’ll have you dere in a jiff.”

Shrevvy was as good as his word. As he pulled into a parking space, he said, “Here we are. 348 is just up de block.”

Lois sat there and observed for a time. She didn’t note any enhanced police presence. She reasoned that since all of the shootings had been done after dark, that the extra police protection would start at that time. As it was, it should be easy to do what she needed to do.

As Lois opened the door to exit, Shrevvy did the same. She was surprised, but accepted it when he fell in step just behind her. He followed her as far as the doors to 348 where he took up a station next to the door. He called over a newsboy and purchased a paper which he proceeded to open and pretend to read as Lois went inside.

She approached the desk and asked, “Apartment 507, which way does it face?”

The clerk thought for a second and then replied, “That would be on the north side.”

Lois thanked him and exited. Back on the sidewalk, Lois turned left and headed up the block. As she exited the building, Shrevvy fell in step behind her. Once she reached the corner, she looked up and counted five floors. She then looked around at the buildings facing it. It so happened that the building next to it was short, only three stories. She muttered to herself, “He will either be on the roof of that building or the apartment building beyond it.” She glanced at her watch and decided that she needed to head back if she was going to be ready for dinner at six, but she had one more chore. Turning back, she said, “Shrevvy, we need to go to Memorial Rehab.”

“No prob. I know just where it is.. I’ll have you dere in a jiff.”

True to his word, Shrevvy had her there in short order. After they parked, faux Margot headed inside and again, Shrevvy took up station at the doors.

She checked with the staff and was assured that Dwayne Powers was with them every other night, safely tucked into a bed.

Returning to the outside, she said, “Let’s go back to the apartment, Shrevvy.”

“Sure teng, Miss Lane. I’ll have you dere in a jiff.”

Shrevvy helped Lois carry her purchases into the apartment. She said, “Thank you, Shrevvy.”

He replied, “Any time, Miss Lane, any time,” as he left.

Lamont was there, listening to a news broadcast on the radio as she entered. “Well, did you get everything you needed, my dear?”

“You were right. Shrevvy knew exactly where to go. Yes, I got everything. I should be ready for tonight. Oh, and I checked at Memorial, Dwayne Powers is there every other night.”

“What do you intend to be doing tonight?”

“While you are playing decoy, I’m going to be watching. Hopefully I’ll see where the shot comes from and I can see who the shooter is.”

“I must say, that isn’t what Margot would be doing. Usually I would have her monitoring the radio.”

“I’m not Margot and I think that I can be more useful spotting than sitting there monitoring the radio. Besides, this is what I do. I can’t tell you the number of all-night stakeouts I’ve done.”

“This is what you do as an investigator?”

“You bet your sweet, uh … next week’s pay, that’s what I do.”

“Well, all right. You seem to have assigned your own job on this stakeout. Please, just stay out of trouble.”

With a snicker she replied, “No promises. Trouble and I are old friends.”

“I can’t promise that I will be there to get you out.”

“Just like Clark. Look, I was getting myself into and out of trouble long before I met either of you.”

“Okay, I was just saying…”

“Trust me. I can take care of myself.”

“If you say so.”

“I say so. Let’s eat. I’m starved.”

He chuckled and said, “It should be on the way up. I hope you like fillet of sole.”

“Love it. Let me put these things away and I’ll be ready to eat.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 05/30/17 08:23 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj