Guy Rule Number One
Folc4evernaday
Teaser

Note: This is in response to the Guy Rule Number 1 Challenge. I'm kinda going against the mold and setting this after Church of Metropolis and during Operation Blackout. Hope you enjoy.

Guy Rule Number 1: Never Hit On A Bro’s Girlfriend.
Guy Rule Number 2: Never Hook Up Or Date A Bro’s Ex (Without Permission)
Guy Rule Number 3: Never Let Your Bro Or Yourself Sacrifice Dignity For A Girl
Guy Rule Number 4: If Your Bro Needs A Wingman Always Step Up To The Plate
Guy Rule Number 5: Never Let White Knights Hold You Back
Guy Rule Number 6: Always Tell Your Bro If His Girl Cheats On Him
Guy Rule Number 7: Never Shame Your Bro For Hooking Up With A Girl You Don’t Find Attractive
Guy Rule Number 8: Never Shame Your Bro For Getting Rejected
Guy Rule Number 9: Always Help Your Bro Get Better With Girls
Guy Rule Number 10: Bros Over Hoes

“She’s your girl.”

Lenny Stoke’s words echoed through Lois’ mind as she closed the window behind the Man of Steel. Her record player still played in the background the strands of “Fly Me to the Moon.” She swayed to the music by herself, recalling what it had felt like to be dancing with Superman.

How had that happened?

How had any of this happened?

One minute she’d been mourning the loss of her dance with her partner and the next Superman had been asking her to dance. It had been…magical. Too good.

The memory of last summer sprung to her mind.

<<“Superman, is there any hope for us? You and me? I’m so completely in love with you….I can’t do anything else without knowing.”

“Lois, I do care for you but…There are things about me you don’t know, that you may never know.”

“It doesn’t matter. I know YOU. I don’t mean you the celebrity or you the superhero. If you had no powers at all, if you were just an ordinary man leading an ordinary life I would love you just the same. Can’t you believe that?”

“I wish I could Lois but under the circumstances, I don’t see how I can.”>>

Lois recalled her heartache when she turned back to face him, and he’d disappeared. Something had been holding him back last summer. She wasn’t sure what it was, but something big had kept him aloof from her, so different from all the previous times he’d visited her. It seemed lately that his visits were becoming more frequent, giving her even more conflicting emotions.

Another admission popped in her head. Something she tried not to think about.

<< “I have been in love with you for a long time. You had to have known.”

“I knew…I mean, I guess that I knew that you liked me, that you were attracted to me, but…Oh, Clark, I’m sorry. I just don’t feel that way about you…romantically. You’re my best friend, the only partner I could ever stand to work with. I admire you, and I respect you, and I do love you …as a friend.”>>

Clark. There was another issue she still wasn’t sure about. One minute he’d been professing his love for her then just as quickly he’d taken it back, leaving her confused about her own feelings for him. The latest dealings with Mayson Drake and her obvious flirting with him weren’t helping things. Right now she wasn’t sure if it was just jealousy or possessiveness that was driving her anger at the new ADA.

It was obvious Superman felt … something toward her. Why was he holding back?

Big Mistake.

Huge Mistake.

Clark couldn’t get the image of Lois’ face when he’d arrived at her apartment after Mayson had interrupted their dance earlier in the evening.

Why couldn’t he just let it be?

He’d gone there to thank her for her advice and leave.

Then he’d been dancing with her…as Superman.

Why?

They’d been so close tonight. He’d seen the way she was smiling at him when they were dancing at the ball then…it had stopped. She’d stepped away when Mayson asked to cut in.

Why?

He still couldn’t wrap his head around Lois’ logic or thinking tonight. They’d been having a good time then just as quickly she walked away. He could tell from the look on her face that she was upset. Then he’d overheard her tell Perry “No matter what happens I’ll never lose Clark.”

Lose him?

Thinking she might open up to Superman he’d gone to her apartment under the ruse of thanking her for her help with the Skins and Intergang then ended up dancing with her instead.

‘Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.’ He chastised himself. He’d really stepped in it this time.

The next morning, Clark arrived at the Daily Planet, looking for Lois. He needed to talk to her. He needed to know what she’d meant last night by, “No matter what happens I’ll never lose Clark.”

He watched as the elevator doors opened, revealing a frazzled Lois Lane as she shoved her way through the maze of reporters that dared stand between her and her desk. After making sure her coffee was warmed to her liking he approached her desk with a cup of coffee, “Morning Lois,” He handed her a mug of coffee, already fixed to her liking.

She took it gratefully, “Thanks. I didn’t have time to grab a coffee on the way in.” She took a sip, savoring the taste for a moment before glancing at the clock, “Crap, we’re late.”

“Late?” He asked confused. He’d checked the calendar, and there wasn’t anything scheduled this morning. He’d planned on taking her to lunch so they could talk and…

She threw him an annoyed look, “Fort Truman? The new artillery weapon demonstration?”

Realization dawned on him, and he fought the urge to curse himself for not remembering.

Why hadn’t he remembered?

He’d been too focused on his argument with Lois when Perry had told him about it yesterday.

“Right, I’ll grab Jimmy, and we can head out.”

She nodded, grabbing a travel mug to pour her coffee in. “Let’s go.”

He let out a long breath before turning to find Jimmy. It seemed his conversation with Lois would have to wait.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube