Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 20

Lois stared at the screen numbly as Lucy placed a supportive arm around her. There he was in the flesh, smiling for the camera and waving at the crowd: Lex Luthor. This was the man Lois and Clark suspected of numerous crimes and the man responsible for attacking her father. This man was walking around free while they were in hiding.

"That scum sucking psychopathic..." Lois muttered under her breath.

Lucy glanced at her father who was watching the screen numbly with the Kents. Ellen was busying herself in the kitchen, refusing to acknowledge what was happening on the television.

"Good Morning," Lex's smile smoothed across his face as the flashes of cameras reflected off his face. "I'm sure all of you have heard the rumors of the attempt to bring charges against myself and my company. Let me assure you they are just that, rumors. LexCorp has committed no crimes, and neither have I..."

"Yeah right..." Lucy muttered.

"Which brings me to my latest news, I'm pleased to announce LexCorp has recently acquired Honeybraun Industries and will be merging LexTel Power and Energy with Honeybraun Industries Gas and Power...."

A barrage of questions erupted from the crowd of reporters. Lucy glanced at Lois whose eyes had widened at the mention of Honeybraun Industries—the same company that owned the oil rig that exploded this morning.

“Oh my God…” Martha gasped, covering her mouth as she shook her head. Jonathan placed an arm over her shoulder. Her dad stared numbly at the screen, his face was flushed white as the reality of everything seemed to be sinking in him further and further.

"Yes, I’m aware of what happened on the Gulf this morning and I assure you LexCorp will be working around the clock to ensure the cleanup is handled swiftly with minimum . No, I do not believe the pending FERC investigation will delay the merger…”

Jonathan clicked the television off, “Enough of that monster,” He muttered, getting up and heading toward the back door in a huff.

Lois' body shuddered against her and Lucy tightened her arms around her, "It's okay, sis,"

Thirteen.

That was the number of men that would not return home to their families.

Clark let out a long breath as he flew toward the Arctic, hoping to wash the stench of failure he felt within himself in the ice cold water.

Sabotage.

That had been what the Fire Marshall had been discussing with the OSHA Inspector that had arrived on the scene as he’d been leaving.

Sabotage.

Someone had deliberately caused this accident. Someone had knowingly put over a hundred men's lives at risk along with the lives of everyone surrounding the Gulf area; including the innocent wildlife. Why?

That was the question he kept coming back to. Why would someone do such a thing? Why would someone create such a disaster?

Thirteen.

His mind came back to those he wasn't able to save once more. He knew he had done what he could, but he still felt remorse for what he couldn't do. Despite all his powers, he was only one man; one man that carried the world on his shoulders. Right now, the world seemed focused on the thirteen men and their families that would be getting the news that their loved ones wouldn't be coming home.

Thirteen bodies.

Thirteen families.

Thirteen lives lost.

He let out a long sigh. He would get to the bottom of this. He would find out who was behind the sabotage and bring them to justice. Luthor may have destroyed the Daily Planet building, but he hadn't destroyed the free press. He and Lois may not have an office to go to, but Bruce Wayne was still publishing online editions and working on getting the Daily Planet printed out of Gotham until they could rebuild. An expose, and exclusive on the sabotage of Honeybraun Industries' oil rig would make for a great front page article.

He grimaced when he remembered there was no 'front page' on the online paper distributed at the moment. It wasn't a paper that people could pick up at newsstands and read on their way to work. It was a webpage on the World Wide Web.

Who knew how many people would read it there?

'Patience.' He reminded himself. 'Rome wasn't built in a day.'

When he returned to Smallville, he would discuss a game plan with Lois. They needed to bring Luthor to justice along with all his lieutenants. The Boss had reigned over Metropolis for far too long. Hopefully, Perry would have some news on Jimmy so they could get more insight on the corruption in the Metropolis PD and find out what exactly they were up against. He hated not being able to help his friend. Unfortunately, it was the very wheels of justice he worked hard to defend that were holding his friend hostage at the moment. A bitter reminder of how far Luthor's reach was in Metropolis and how hard he would fall when he finally put Lex Luthor behind bars.

Toni Taylor stepped off the private jet, following Mrs. Cox toward the limo parked outside the gate. The woman in front of her emitted of confidence and power: something she'd yearned for when taking over the Metros. That had been her first mistake. Her second had been trusting Lex Luthor.

Now, months later she had gone from one prison to another. At least in Metropolis Prison, she knew where the walls were and what to expect. With Lex, it was a dangerous balancing act. She had to keep him believing she was on his side long enough for her to plan her escape.

At least now he'd stop coming after Johnny.

He was safe now.

Lex took a long puff from his cigar, looking over the contracts he'd just signed. "Thank you so much for your cooperation, Mr. Campbell," Lex handed him his copies of the contract. "I'm so glad we could come to an understanding."

"Well, who is the FERC to come between good business?" Campbell tapped his briefcase to emphasize his point as he turned to leave. "As of midnight tonight Honeybraun Industries and all of its subsidiaries become the property of LexCorp."

"Excellent news," Lex said, watching as Campbell turned to leave, bumping into none other than Bruce Wayne as he opened the office doors.

"Mr. Campbell, this is a surprise," Bruce remarked as he held his hand out to shake the wary Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's Head Commissioner's hand.

"Mr. Wayne, always a pleasure," He said all too quickly as he rushed past him and headed toward the elevators.

Bruce turned to watch the commissioner leave then turned back to Lex with a knowing look, shaking his head, "You're a piece of work, aren't you, Lexy?"

Lex cringed at the nickname, "We're all past boarding school nicknames don't you think, Squeaks?"

"Ah, touché," Bruce remarked with a knowing look, "So let me guess, the investigation into Luthor Power acquiring Honeybraun Industries will be closed and no conflict of interest will be found...thanks to a generous donation to his campaign next year?"

Lex's eyes narrowed, but he didn't acknowledge Bruce's accusation one way or another, "What are you doing here? Not enough late night parties in Gotham?" He snapped his fingers, "Oh, I know, you finished going through all of Gotham's elite for companionship so now you've got to expand the horizons..."

"You're one to talk," Bruce shot back snidely. "No, I just wanted to let you know I've settled in a nice penthouse apartment downtown," He walked toward the room length windows on Lex's balcony and pointed, "How do you like the improvements we made last month?"

Lex's face scowled as he saw Bruce point to the new additions of WayneTech--three additional stories to the building--making it the tallest building in Metropolis. "I...noticed," Was all he could manage through gritted teeth.

"Top two floors are the penthouse apartment. I figured with all the rebuilding I'll have to do for the Planet..."

"Rebuilding?" Lex scoffed incredulously.

"Of course I can't have the Daily Planet out of commission," He pulled out his blackberry typing in a few keys as he spoke, "In fact...." He showed Lex the screen on his phone and Lex grimaced. A website. Bruce Wayne had set up an online paper for the Daily Planet. "We're publishing online as we speak. We're the first paper to do so...Should make things interesting, don't you think, Lexy boy?" Bruce patted him on the shoulder as he gestured toward the WayneTech towers across from LexCorp, "Looks like we're going to be neighbors."

"Well, I suppose you've thought of everything, haven't you?" Lex spat bitterly.

"Oh, are you sulking?" Bruce admonished, putting an arm on Lex's shoulder, "With all the good you do for Metropolis you should be ecstatic to have someone nearby to help lift the burden. Now granted now you won't have a cover for laundering some of that dirty money, but hey maybe you can resort to focusing on those legitimate businesses of yours."

"I don't know what you're talking about Bruce. That paranoia is going to get the best of you if you're not careful," Lex remarked coolly.

"Paranoia? Is that what they call it?" Bruce said, stepping toward Lex. "How long are you going to keep playing games with this kid's life?" Bruce asked, cutting to the chase.

"I don't know what you're referring to," Lex said airily.

"Of course you don't," Bruce sighed, running a hand through his hair. "What is it going to cost to get James Olsen cleared of the ridiculous charges you have against him?"

"You act like I have some control over the unfortunate charges against this young man?" Lex shrugged in confusion, "I have no control over who the police find culpable in arson or...terrorism any more than you do, Mr. Wayne."

"That's the game you want to play, huh?" Bruce sighed, "I know you think you're invincible and no one can touch you Lexy, but just remember those skeletons in your closet will come out eventually, and it wouldn't take much to convince a certain team of reporters to do a little digging and point them in the right direction..."

"You forget if you take me down you take Wayne Enterprises down, Mr. Wayne." Lex said, grabbing Bruce by the collar roughly, "You play the act of billionaire playboy well, but I invented it. I am a GOD in this city."

"Seems like you've got some competition in that department," Bruce remarked snidely, glancing toward the television set showing Superman's rescue of the Honeybraun Industries' oil rig from earlier that morning. "Really, Lex, I would have thought you could be at least a little more creative than mass murder to get what you want."

"Well, I was always a fan of the old-fashioned gangster style." Lex shrugged, "At least when I took over LuthorCorp I didn't waste my talents playing chicken with my daddy's company." Lex's eyes narrowed as he met Bruce's steel gaze. Yes, he'd hit a nerve. "You waste your time fiddling away with your latest toys and blowing your money on charities that wouldn't spit on your grave..." Bruce's jaw tightened, and Lex continued. "You're nothing but a spoiled brat with too much time on his hands because your parents never gave you the ...."

"Watch yourself, Lexy," Bruce snapped, grabbing him by the collar.

They stared one another down angrily, millimeters from one another with their gazes locked in a cold hard stare. The sound of Bruce's phone ringing broke the tension, and he pulled his phone out to answer, "Bruce Wayne," A few moments later Bruce nodded to Lex, "This isn't over Lexy," Then turned to his phone call, "Of course Mr. White. Just send Mr. Kent to my office, and we'll sort out the details."

Perry White stood in a dark room with Constance Hunter. It had been just shy of twenty-four hours from the time Jimmy had been brought in for questioning when they finally received the call that Jimmy was in the system. He had been fingerprinted, booked, and charged with attempted murder and making a terroristic threat. Where these allegations had come from was beyond Perry's line of reasoning. It was evident Jimmy Olsen was the scapegoat in a larger scheme. There was no way he could do what he was being accused of. The only logical explanation was a conspiracy to railroad Jimmy for someone else's crimes. He just didn't have the evidence to back it up.

He and Constance went back and forth with the deputy clerk on getting approved for visitation with Jimmy. After several hours of negotiating with the District Attorney's office and the warden, they were granted twenty minutes of visitation.

Twenty minutes.

It seemed like a meager amount of time given how long they'd held Jimmy for questioning without an attorney. Perry stared at the large metal door warily, "What's taking them so long?"

"Who knows?" Constance shrugged, squinting her face in disgust. Her disdain for the situation was just as evident on her face as it was his. She narrowed her eyes toward the door, looking at her watch to check the time.

Terroristic Threat.

That was the charge against Jimmy. After stopping by his apartment to shower and gather his and Lois' research into Luthor and his laptop, he checked in with Perry and found out the police had finally charged Jimmy. While it was a relief they'd finally charged him so they could get an attorney in the room with him, it was still frustrating that there had been enough evidence to bring charges against Jimmy.

There were so many things he couldn't prove, but he knew Luthor was behind this. Unfortunately, he had no idea where to begin looking for him. The man had become a ghost after Bruce Wayne had purchased the Planet and destroyed Luthor's plans to get his claws in the Planet. He still didn't know what Luthor's attempts to gain control of the Planet were about and he didn't know what to expect from the man now.

Everything they thought they'd had against Luthor fell apart in less than twenty-four hours. Now they were starting from scratch. Perry had arranged a meeting with Bruce Wayne to find out what they could of Bruce's plans on rebuilding the Planet while Perry was tied up with the Jimmy scandal. He planned on using the meeting to find out what he could of Bruce’s history with Luthor. It was apparent the other day that the bad blood between the two men was more than just a tift over ownership of the Planet.

Clark landed outside the WayneTech towers in Metropolis, finding a secluded alleyway behind the office buildings he quickly spun into a suit and tie then headed inside WayneTech. The doorman requested identification then sent him toward the desk clerk sitting by the elevators.

"Yes, can I help you?" the clerk asked.

"Is Mr. Wayne available?" He asked, "I'm Clark Kent with the Daily Planet and I..."

The clerk shook his head with a chuckle. "Mr. Wayne just called down to let us know you'd be coming by Mr. Kent." He handed Clark a visitor's badge, "Eleventh floor, fifth door on your right."

Jonathan stared at the tractor in front of him, lifting the hood to begin working on rebuilding the engine. It wasn't something he usually tried to do without Clark here, but at the moment he felt like he could lift the tractor without any help. The adrenaline pulsing through his veins gave him a sense of power that made him feel invincible. He was angry. He was furious. He'd listened to Clark and Lois tell him and Martha of how Lex Luthor had committed truly heinous acts against humanity. It was easy for him to reassure his son that he couldn't stoop to his level and he would figure out a way to bring the man down. Today was different.

It wasn't just Metropolis Lex Luthor was coming after now. It was the world. He had attacked an innocent crew for what reason? All those families and lives were put in danger so he could acquire a company? Even without evidence, he knew it was true. Seeing what the man had done to his son and Lois only fueled his anger toward Lex Luthor. The man was a monster.

"Need some help?" Sam asked grabbing the chain for the crane to pull the motor out of the tractor.

Jonathan looked at the doctor in surprise and chuckled, "If I could wring that monster’s neck with my bare hands I would,” He muttered angrily.

Sam nodded, “Believe me there’d be a line.” His face grew sorrowful, “I can’t believe he fooled me for so long.”

“He’s a master manipulator…or at least that’s what Clark’s told us,” Jonathan said hurriedly, not wanting to give too much away about Clark’s and Lex Luthor’s history together.

“I hate that I’ve put everyone at risk like this. I thought I was doing something….good. Helping paralysis victims regain control of their muscles and live to fight another day. That was the goal.”

“It’s an admiral goal, Sam,” Jonathan reassured, placing a hand on his shoulder. “So many victims of car accidents or soldiers injured in combat could benefit from it.”

“When this is all over I’d like to do that. Use the super chip to help.” Sam shook his head in disgust. “I hate that I allowed myself to be manipulated like that though. Ellen can barely stand to look at me. Lucy won’t hardly speak to me, and Lois…who knows what she’s thinking?” He huffed in disgust. “She’s always been extremely overprotective of her sister.”

“They have a strong relationship,” Jonathan nodded, “It’s good they have that. We, uh, were never able to give Clark that and it’s something we regret every day.”

“It’s hard to know what the right decision is,” Sam remarked softly. “Clark’s a good man. I’m thankful he came into Lois’ life when he did. She’s become more…open, grounded.”

“I like to thank they complement one another,” Jonathan said with a smile. “Clark is a good man, but he can be just as boneheaded as the next. Lois keeps him on his toes, reminding him not to take himself so seriously. Sometimes he needs that.”

“I think they both do.” Sam said softly, glancing toward the barn, “Speaking of Clark, uh, haven’t seen him around this morning. Where is he?”

Jonathan tried not to panic and smiled, “Uh, he, uh had to help out Wayne Irig this morning with getting the roof of the old barn replaced. Wayne can’t do heights like he used to.”

‘Hopefully, he buys it.’ Jonathan thought to himself.

Martha watched as Jonathan slipped out the back door and headed toward the tractor. Lois and Lucy stood numbly in the living room, staring at the television that Jonathan had just turned off. The sound of scrubbing from the other room caught her attention. She looked toward the kitchen and saw Ellen had buried herself in there with all the cleaning supplies, taking a scrub brush to the tile countertops.

"Ellen?" Martha tapped her on the shoulder as she scrubbed ferociously at the tile.

"Wha?" Ellen turned around, jerking her head toward her in surprise, "Oh, Martha, you scared me," She looked around at the appliances she'd pulled out and frowned, "I'm sorry. I saw a spot, and I was trying to..."

"It's okay," Martha reassured, placing an arm around Ellen's shoulders, "Ellen, are you all right?" Martha asked in concern, taking note of the current disarray the kitchen was currently in.

"Why wouldn't I be all right?" Ellen muttered as she scrubbed, "The man that has systematically destroyed all of our lives and forced us into hiding is out there walking free as a bird."

"Ellen, we're all upset," Martha began.

"Did you know I had to pull fifty-seven shards of glass out of Lois' scalp yesterday?" Ellen breathed shakily. "Fifty-seven. I counted as I pulled each shard out of her hair, her scalp, her forehead..."

"Ellen," Martha sighed, kneeling down to sit on the floor next to her. "I get it. Believe me..."

"Do you?" Ellen asked, "Sam was working FOR him. Making some super-chip...all the while putting his daughters at risk...For what?" Ellen spat bitterly, "I can't even go home." She said in a harsh whisper.

"You'll get through this. We all will. Lois and Clark are going to bring him down and expose him for the monster he is."

"What if they can't?" Ellen asked. "He's already turned the tables on them once. What if they can't stop him?"

"Mr. Kent, good to see you," Bruce said, gesturing toward his desk as Clark followed him in the office.

"Thanks for meeting with me Mr. Wayne. I was surprised to hear you were still in Metropolis." Clark said taking a seat across from Bruce.

"After what happened yesterday I thought it'd be best for me to stay close," Bruce remarked with a grimace. "Tragedy what happened to the Planet."

Clark frowned as he recalled the injured coworkers he'd pulled out of the burning building yesterday, "There were a lot of people injured."

"Thankfully no fatalities," Bruce added.

"Small miracles." Clark quipped. "Any thoughts on who might be responsible for the attack yesterday?" Clark began hesitantly.

Bruce nodded, "Well, you're a smart man, Mr. Kent, who do you suspect?"

Clark's eyes narrowed slightly, "I have my theories." He began hesitantly.

Bruce nodded, "Like a certain multi-billionaire that resurfaced conveniently after the charges against him were dismissed?"

"For example?" Clark shrugged with amusement.

"Convenient, wasn't it?" Bruce remarked bitterly, "Luthor always liked to play dangerously." He let out a long breath, "but I suspect you didn't come out here to talk hypotheticals."

Clark nodded, watching at Bruce turned his monitor toward Clark to show him his screen. Clark saw report after report on Honeybraun Industries acquisition show up on Bruce's screen and remarked, "Keep coming back to the fact that there is no evidence though."

"Evidence can disappear and appear if you have enough pull." Bruce grimaced.

"So I've noticed." Clark spat.

"I'm doing everything I can to help Jimmy. I know it wasn't him."

"Is anyone actually investigating?" Clark asked.

Bruce shook his head, "They think they've got their guy. Why would they?" Bruce pulled up some schematic plans for what looked like a satellite.

"What is this?" Clark asked. Pointing to the screen.

"Oh, just something that was pointed out to me by an old colleague of mine when I began asking why it was so important that Lex Luthor acquire Honeybraun Industries.

Clark's eyes narrowed at the mention of the oil rig's owner. "People were killed this morning."

"A lot more are going to be if someone doesn't put a stop to him," Bruce said bitterly. "Ever hear of the Annihilator?"

"Military weapon satellite from the Cold War." Clark nodded. "What about it?"

"What if I told you that the Annihilator was more than a theory but an actual design that was put together by an energy company's weapons' division back when they were still contracting nuclear arms weapons for the military?"

"I'd say, go on..." Clark said, folding his hands in front of him.

"If someone just happened to find these plans they could use them to build the satelite weaponry or even convert the plans to something a little more...local." Bruce continued, pulling up plans for the annihilator that showed a handheld weapon with rounded rims at the barrell.

"Nuclear weapons used on the streets of Metropolis could be...deadly." Clark remarked bitterly.

"And a perfect weapon to use against a certain superhero that has been stopping a certain boss..."

"Boss? How do you know about the boss?" Clark asked, leaning in toward Bruce.

"I make it my business to do my research before diving in on my acquisitions. The Planet is an acquisition and still very much in Metropolis. We may not have a building yet, but the presence is here."

"Why are you telling me this?" Clark asked in concern.

"You seem to have a lot of ...luck getting ahold of Superman. I thought maybe you could warn him and get him to help us bring Luthor down." Bruce said meeting Clark's gaze.

Clark shifted nervously under his scrutinizing expression. "Even if he wanted to help...there's not much he could do. There is no evidence."

"Maybe you're just not looking in the right place," Bruce said with a knowing smile. "You and Ms. Lane are both celebrated, reporters. I'm surprised neither of you has thought to look in his past before now."

"What do you mean?" Clark asked, "His records are sealed, and there's no way anyone could..."

Bruce placed an envelope on the desk and smiled, "Only Lex's records are sealed, but the other individuals involved..." Bruce shrugged.

"Why do I get the feeling you know more than you're letting on?" Clark inquired, taking the envelope from Bruce cautiously.

"Lex and I go back to boarding school .... never got along," Bruce smiled back at him. Clark wasn't sure how much he believed that but nodded for Bruce to continue, "Lex never was good about letting go of old grudges." He stood up, pulling a key out of his briefcase, "You may need this." He handed it to Clark.

"Thank you, Mr. Wayne," Clark said standing up to shake Bruce's hand.

"Tell Superman to be careful," Bruce said with a grimace. "Lexy boy was a psycho even back in grade school. After his parents had died he got worse. There is no line he won't cross."

"I'll let Superman know," Clark reassured. "If you hear anything about Jimmy..."

"You and Mr. White will be the first ones I call." Bruce nodded.

Clark pulled out a card from his pocket and jotted down a number on it, "We're lying low right now so try to be discreet with this number."

"Probably for the best." Bruce acknowledged, walking with Clark toward the exit. Clark turned to look at him, still trying to make up his mind about the billionaire, "Trying to make up your mind about me?"

"Let's just say I haven't had the best of luck with philanthropists." Clark acknowledged with a raised eyebrow.

"I haven't had the best of luck with reporters," Bruce added.

"But you're helping me. Why?" Clark asked.

"I guess I trust you more than I distrust reporters." Bruce smiled.

"And more than you distrust Lex," Clark added.

"You don't pull any punches do you, Kent?" Bruce asked, extending his hand for Clark to shake, "Well, I guess we'll have to learn to trust one another," Bruce remarked with a smirk. "Thanks for coming by Mr. Kent."

Clark nodded, "I'll be in touch."

"How you doing kid?" Perry asked as the door to the visitor's room closed behind Jimmy. He was in a dark blue inmate uniform. His face was bruised and had cuts on it. Perry knew the answer to his question before he even asked it.

Jimmy sighed, "I've had better weeks."

"I'm Constance Hunter," Constance extended her hand for him to shake as he approached the table to take a seat.

"James Olsen." He said with a wince as he sat down.

"Jimmy, you okay?" Perry asked.

"Just a welcoming present from my roommate." Jimmy winced, "I'd say it's nice to meet you but I don't think these are the ideal circumstances for meeting anyone." Jimmy said bitterly.

"No, they're not," Constance said seriously, taking a seat across from him. "I'm your attorney. I've been hired by Mr. Wayne to provide the best defense I can, but in order to do that I need to know everything."

Jimmy met her gaze and nodded, "First and foremost, I didn't do this and I won't say I did."

"I understand." Constance said with a heavy sigh, "This is obviously a setup. The evidence they have is lacking..."

"Not to mention holding him illegally for almost a day," Perry added with a bite in his tone.

"We'll get to that later," Constance added. "What do you know about these terrorism charges?"

Jimmy shrugged. "They're saying my dad was NIA and that was why I blew up the Planet but it's a bunch of bull...."

"No one believes that, Jimmy," Perry reassured him.

"My dad's a structural engineer," Jimmy said. "I haven't seen him since I was sixteen. He was catching a connecting flight to Shanghai..."

"We'll need to find him to help throw these accusations out. Do you have a number for him?" Constance asked, jotting down notes in her notepad.

Jimmy sighed, "I think my mom might. We kinda lost touch."

"That's okay," Constance reassured, handing him the notepad. "Give me all the numbers you have for him and your mom, and I'll get my investigator on it." Jimmy nodded, grabbing the pen to write on the notepad.

"How soon before we can get him out of here?" Perry asked in concern.

"Depends on the judge." Constance said with a sigh, "He's been charged with some serious crimes."

"Might as well give that up, Chief," Jimmy scoffed, "I'm not getting out of here until you find out who really blew up the Planet.

"Now son you can't think like that."

"No, he's right, Mr. White," Constance said with a sigh.
Jenkins stepped into the unmarked car, glancing around to see if anyone was watching. "I said get in!" Fuentes snapped at him.
Jenkins jerked his head down and closed the door behind him. Fuentes revved the engine and took off, heading toward the other side of town.

"Hey! Slow down man!" Jenkins admonished.

"No time." Fuentes spat back. "You're on strict orders from the boss to make sure the case against James Olsen sticks. To do that we can't be seen together."

Jenkins rolled his eyes, "Yeah yeah yeah,"

"You got it?" Fuentes asked, reaching his arm over to Jenkins.

"Background info on Sam Lane, Lois Lane, Lucy Lane, and Ellen Lane. Driver's License information, criminal history...Everything you need." Jenkins said with a sigh as he handed him a large manila envelope. "Not much on any of them though. No arrests. Some parking tickets but that's about it."

"Figures," Fuentes remarked. "What about his former partner?"

"Menken?" Jenkins handed him the file. "Everyone hired at Menken's gym and their backgrounds." He handed another file to him.

Fuentes saw the size of the envelope and grinned, "Perfect."

Lois stared numbly at the television. It had been hours since the news circuits first picked up the tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico. There was still no sign of Clark. Thankfully Lucy seemed too hungover to notice, and her parents were too concerned with the drama of what was happening with Lex to pay Clark’s disappearance much attention.

"Preliminary findings are pointing to possible sabotage for the oil line leak which led to the explosion that took place this morning." the newscaster read off as the footage showed the amateur video of the rig exploding earlier that morning. "Investigators currently have no other leads..."

"I think that's enough of that." Lucy took a seat next to her and grabbed the remote, clicking it off in the process.

"Luce!" Lois admonished, grabbing it back from her forcefully.

"You're going to drive yourself crazy watching that," Lucy said. "Almost everyone made it out alive. Superman left a few hours ago. Blah blah blah. Same thing they've been saying for the last three hours."

Lois sighed, leaning her head back against the couch as she looked at her sister with a half-smile. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to do something else."

"That's the spirit." Lucy grinned. "If you want some entertainment you could come out to the field and watch dad try and drive a tractor..."

Lois laughed, "What???"

"Oh, you know daddy....Always the perfect guest: offering to, clear the table, cook, clean and apparently in Smallville he tries to impersonate a farmer."

Lois laughed at the thought of her clean shaven father getting himself dirty; much less trying to drive a tractor.

Lucy grew quiet for a moment, "Mom seems to be enjoying the peace and quiet here."

Lois nodded, glancing toward the back porch where Martha and Ellen were sitting with glasses of lemonade chatting away. It did appear that her mom was at least making the best of the situation. Who knew Smallville was just what the doctor ordered for all of them to recharge?

"Perry called me," Lucy stated softly.

Lois sighed, placing a supportive arm around her sister. "I'm sorry, Luce."

"I don't understand how they can do this," Lucy whispered hoarsely, pulling away from Lois.

"It's not legal," Lois said flatly. "Not that it makes much of a difference."

"So is Superman going to help us break Jimmy out?" Lucy asked with a smile.

Lois chuckled at the thought, "I don't think he practices breaking criminals OUT of jail, Luce."

"Jimmy's not a criminal." Lucy countered.

"He's got to be cleared the legal way, Luce." Lois reasoned.

A familiar voice from the other side of the room added, "Unfortunately Lois is right. Superman can't pick and choose the laws he upholds. Just like the officers can't pick and choose which laws they defend."

Lois and Lucy turned to see Clark dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with an open flannel shirt walking toward them. He took a seat on the other side of Lois, wrapping an arm around her. She wanted to wrap her arms around him and never let go, but with her sister sitting right there she knew it would raise suspicions regarding his absence today.

Thankfully Lucy didn't say anything. Instead, she opted to challenge Clark's statement, "Even if it's a crooked officer that's gotten Jimmy behind bars in the first place?"

Clark hung his head, meeting Lucy's anxious gaze, "Superman can't break the law, Lucy."

"Then maybe we need to." Lucy pressed.

"Luce..." Lois began.

"I'm serious. Jimmy is going to be in jail with a bunch of criminals and ..." Her tirade quickly escalated into a panicked tone as she rambled on about her fears for Jimmy's safety.

"Luce..." Lois interrupted, trying to get a word in edgewise.

"He's never been to jail."

"Lucy..." Lois tried again.

“He’s never even had a tattoo. "

"Lu.." She found herself cut off again and let out a long sigh. She gave Clark a frustrated groan, and he offered a sympathetic look as Lucy continued her tirade.

"He could get hurt or worse, and it'll be all our fault for leaving him in there..."

"Lucy!" Lois shouted, trying to get her sister's attention. "Calm down."

"We're well aware of the danger he's in, but no one," Clark gave Lois a warning glance before turning back to Lucy, "is going to break him out." Lucy shook her head in disbelief as Clark continued, "We've got an attorney working on getting him released. Bill Henderson is working on getting the DA on our side. I know it is....painful sitting here not being able to do anything to help him but right now you just have to trust that everything is going to work out."

"Trust?" Lucy scoffed in disbelief, "Trust? Why should I? I mean, you think you know someone and then..." She stopped herself for a moment before continuing, "I used to trust the police. I used to believe that the law worked to keep the bad guys in jail and the good guys out, but now..."

"We're going to beat this," Clark promised. "He's going to be okay."

"You don't know that Clark," Lucy argued. "No one can promise that."

"You're right," Lois interrupted, sensing her sister's tone was growing more and more desperate, "We don't know that, and we can't promise anything. We can try. We can do everything in our power to find out who is behind this and stop him."

"We know who's behind this." Lucy spat bitterly.

"We have no proof." Clark reminded her.

"So how do we get the proof we need?" Lucy asked, folding her arms over her chest and leaning back into the couch.

"We do what we do best," Lois said with a grin.

"Investigate," Clark said with a smile.

TBC...
Will Write For Feedback

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube