Rated PG-13

/ “text”/ indicates telepathic communication
*text* indicates bold
<text> indicates thoughts
{text} indicates over the telephone

Universal Locator designation Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
Universal Locator designation Alpha 025 x Gamma - 086 x Tau 142 Alt 25 Shadow

Preeviously

“Lois and I are investigative reporters for a major metropolitan newspaper. I couldn’t just take you in there and introduce you as Lois. You wouldn’t know the people we work with. Your cover would be blown right away. I’ll have to coach you.”

“You work as a reporter? Dressed like that?”

He looked down at himself and realized that he had forgotten to change. He smiled and said, “Uh, well, no. I wear civilian clothes for that. This is a costume I use to protect my secret identity.”

Margot relaxed some more. “That, I can relate to.”

Hearing her comment, Clark decided that he would need to follow up on it. “Be back in a second.” He stepped into the bedroom and did a spin change, and reappeared in his business suit.

She let out an “Ooohh” and then said, “I like the cut of that suit. Is that a new style?”

“No, this style has been around for a few years.”

“I’m used to double-breasted suits. I might just suggest glasses to Lamont.”

“Double breasted suits went out of fashion some time ago. This may seem like a foolish question, but please bear with me, what year was it before you found yourself here?”

“It was September 25, 1937 when I got up this morning.”

“That confirms it. Today is November 15, 1995. Tempus not only moved you from your city, New York and presumably your world, he also moved you ahead about fifty-eight years.”

She gasped and dropped back onto the sofa. “Fifty-eight years? How did that happen?”

“Tempus is a time traveler. He has a device that facilitates his movement through time and space.”

“Well, how does all of this get me home?”

“By convincing him that he made a mistake. That should draw him out. In order to do that, I will need to coach you on how to be Lois Lane.”

“Sounds like you’ve got your work cut out for you. How long has she known these people?”

In a deflated tone he said, “Years. She was an intern with the paper before she made the promotion to reporter.”

Her eyes went wide in disbelief, “You expect me to develop years of familiarity with these people in just a few days?”

Snapping his fingers, Clark said, “I know, the almost accident you just had. We can say that Superman saved you, but because of the closeness of the incident, you have hysterical amnesia and that your memory is hazy, but should return eventually.”

She replied, “That might get us by. I guess we have no other option. We have to try it.”

“First thing I need to do is use the keys that Lois gave me to her apartment so that you can change your clothes. Right now fashion is all over the place, but predominately, skirt lengths are a lot shorter than what you have on.”

And now:

Chapter 4 –
Metropolis 1995
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Clark went to the kitchen and picked up his phone. He carried it into the living room so that Margot could hear the conversation and dialed Perry’s number. Margot was looking strangely at his phone as he dialed. When the chief picked up, he said, “Hello, Chief? Clark.”

{“What’s going on, Kent?”}

“Listen, Chief. Lois has had an accident.”

Perry’s concern was in his voice as he asked, {“What? Was she hurt? Where is she? How is she?”}

Calmly, Clark answered, “Well, that’s just it. Physically, she’s fine. She stumbled into traffic and was almost hit by a Metrocab. Superman saved her, but it seems like she has hysterical amnesia as a result. It’s like what happened to me around the time of Nightfall. I think it might be best if we worked from home for a few days and I’ll try to help her recover her memory.”

{“Well, the two of you are engaged now, so I guess she is your responsibility. You take good care of her, you hear me?”}

With a chuckle, Clark replied, “Loud and clear, Chief. You know that no one could take better care of her than me.”

{“Okay, I guess we’ll look for you in a couple of days. Did you write up her rescue yet?”}

“I’ll do that as soon as I hang up and e-mail it to you.”

{“You do that.”} There was a click as Perry hung up his phone. Perry’s voice had been gruff, but Clark could hear the overtones of concern which told him that his boss was worried about Lois. He set the phone down on the coffee table.

Curiously, Margot picked it up and examined it. She looked at Clark and asked, “No wire? Is it like a shortwave radio? Very compact. I wish we had something like this.”

Clark smiled as she asked her questions and made her observations. She obviously had a keen inquisitive mind, just like Lois. “You are right. It’s a wireless phone. There is a small radio in the handset that communicates with the base station on a paired radio frequency,” he pointed at the module on the wall, “they are both two-way radios, but with a very short range.”

“Lamont has shortwave radios in his cars and Burbank monitors the frequencies we use. Lamont uses them to keep in contact with Burbank and if he needs to call the police. The radios we have are much larger." As she turned it over and over in her hands, examining it, she asked, "How do you replace the tubes in this?”

“Tubes? On, yeah, I remember. We don’t use tubes anymore. Everything is solid state.”

Quizzically, she repeated the unfamiliar term, “Solid state?”

“Yeah, somebody found some things that could replace vacuum tubes called transistors and resisters. They are a lot smaller and don’t burn out so often. There’s no need to allow them to warm up. Everything is instant on now. You make it sound like Lamont has to call the police frequently. Why does he have to call the police?”

Being somewhat mysterious, she replied, “He helps them out … occasionally.”

“Okay, we can discuss this more, later. Right now I have to type up your rescue and send it to the chief."

Crossing to his laptop he booted it up and started typing as Margot looked on in bewilderment. She asked, "That's a typewriter? Where's the ribbon and the paper? Why aren't there arms striking the paper to make the impression?

"This is going to be a little harder to explain. This is a portable computer. In some ways it is like a typewriter in that it produces letters on a page and like a radio, it can transmit data. With it I can create documents, like on a typewriter, but I can send them through the telephone wire to a similar device at the other end.

"This time of yours is going to take some getting used to.”

Clark quickly typed up the incident and sent it to Perry, then said, "Let me go change and I’ll take you to Lois’s apartment.”

She placed a hand on his arm and stopped him. “What can you do? I've seen some of the marvelous devices that you now have, devices such as I never would have dreamed possible, but what can you do?"

“What do you mean?”

“When you put on that suit, what can you do?”

“Oh, well, as you’ve seen, I can fly. I am pretty strong and fast. I can see through solid objects. I can start fires with my eyes.”

“Wow, all of that? Does the suit give you all those powers?”

“No, it doesn’t. I was born with them. What about Lamont? From some of the comments you’ve made, I get the feeling that he too has powers that he likes to keep secret.”

Reluctantly, she nodded and said, “When he puts on his hat and cloak, he is able to cloud the minds of criminals so that they don’t see him. Criminals call him The Shadow. He uses his invisibility to spy on criminal organizations and learn their plans so that he can then thwart them. What do you do with your powers?”

“I help the police by stopping criminal acts and emergency responders by preventing injuries. How did he get his powers?”

“He studied the forgotten science of the mind by traveling around the world and learning from holy men and mystics. Sometimes, I wish he would give it up. I can’t tell you the number of times he has been shot or injured in some way.”

“If he is invisible, how does that happen?”

In an exasperated tone, she replied, “As the Shadow he is invisible, not incorporeal. Sometimes his presence is revealed accidentally, but sometimes he does it deliberately. I think that he’s tempting fate, but he says that he does it to unnerve his opponents. Most of the time it works, but there are times when the bad guys just start shooting, indiscriminately. When that happens, sometimes he is hit.”

“How long has he been doing this?”

Margot was close to tears as she explained, “Sometimes it seems like forever. Other times, like when he’s been shot, it seems like too long. But the good he does cannot be argued. The number of bank robberies and other criminal enterprises he has disrupted is uncountable.” She paused for a second before she continued, “That’s why I have to get back. My father is in danger and Lamont promised to help. He needs me if he is going to be able to succeed.” She was openly crying as she finished.

“Your father is in danger?”

She nodded emphatically. “Yes. He was foreman of the jury that sentenced a man to death. Before that man was executed, he promised that all of the members of the jury along with the D. A., the judge and the governor would die.”

“But he was executed?”

“Yes, but that didn’t stop the killings. There are only a few more and my father is one of them.”

“Well, all I can say is that if you and Lois have actually switched places, I am sure she will do everything she can to help Lamont in your place. What’s your father’s name?”

Tearfully, she replied, “Sam, Samuel Lane. He’s a surgeon.”

Clark reached out and placed a comforting hand on Margot’s shoulder before he said, “Now, I am doubly certain that Lois will do everything she can to help. You see, Sam is her father’s name also.”

Margot gasped at his statement and nodding replied, “I believe that she will. Thank you. At least Lamont won’t be alone. I feel a little better, but how will she be able to help?”

“Lois is an excellent investigative reporter. She has these flashes of intuition. She can take a set of disparate facts and draw a conclusion and be amazingly accurate. Also, in a fight, she had a brown belt in Tae Kwan Do.”

“What’s Tae Kwan Do and what does it matter what color belt you wear?”

“Tae Kwan Do is a form of martial arts, similar to boxing, only more so. The color of her belt indicated her level of mastery. Black is the highest. Brown is right below that.”

“How much good will that be against a gun?”

“If she can get in close, he won’t have the gun for very long. She will disarm him.”

Somewhat awed, she asked, “Wow, she’s that good?”

Nodding his head, he replied with conviction, “She’s that good!”

She sniffed and then said, “In that case, maybe it’s good that she’s there. She might be able to do more than I could.”

In an attempt to distract her, Clark asked, “Would you like to change clothes now?”

She looked down at herself and said, “Yes, I guess I’m a little out of step with the times.”

“Actually, believe it or not, you might just pass. Fashion has a wide range of accepted styles nowadays. I think that the people that know Lois best would expect something else, though.”

“I guess I need to go see what the current styles are.”

“We could get a cab or walk. It isn’t all that far.”

“I wish Shrevvy was here.”

“Who’s Shrevvy?”

“Oh, that would be Moses Schreivnetz, he's just about the best cab drive in New York City, but he works for Lamont. He has a shortwave radio in his cab also.”

“Let’s walk. As we do you can be observing the current fashions. That should help you to pick out something. After you do, I think I’ll take you somewhere. I have some people to introduce you to.”

“Won’t they wonder why I don’t know them?”

“With them it won’t matter.”

“I guess I’ll have to trust your judgment. Let’s go

"Just a minute. Lois keeps some clothes here. I think there's a light jacket. You should put that on before we leave." Clark retrieved the jacket and Margot donned it and they left.

Exiting the apartment, since it was somewhat chilly, they headed at a brisk pace for Lois’s apartment. As they walked, Margot observed what the women were wearing and was surprised at how short the dresses were. She thought, <I haven’t seen skirts that short since the twenties, when I was just a kid. Oh well, when in Rome… The cars, they’re so small and sleek.> It wasn’t long until they reached Lois’s apartment building and going up to the fifth floor, Clark used his keys to allow them to enter.

Pointing down the hall, he said, “The first bedroom on the right. Pick out whatever you feel comfortable with. I’m sure Lois won’t mind.”

“Okay. I hope her clothes fit.”

Looking at her with a critical eye, he said, “It is my considered opinion that they will.”

As she moved down the hall, she said, “We’ll see.”

As she disappeared into the bedroom, Clark picked up Lois’s red phone and dialed a number. When the phone was answered, he said, “Hi, Mom! What’s for lunch?”

“Oh, hi Honey! Are you coming for lunch?”

“I was thinking about it. Could you set two extra places?”

“You’re going to bring Lois with you? Good, I’ve been wanting some time with her. Sure, I’ll set two extra places. See you in a little while.” She hung up before Clark had the chance to explain that it wouldn’t be Lois.

As he hung the phone up. He muttered, “Oh well, I guess it’ll be a surprise.”

While he waited for Margot to change, Clark picked up the remote and clicked on the TV. He changed the channel from the one that Lois watched "The Ivory Tower" on to LNN. He was satisfied that there were no major news items that they were covering; therefore Superman would not be needed.

When Margot came out, the first thing she saw was the TV. She stopped and stared at the person on the screen as she related the news. She asked, "What do you call that talking box?"

"We call it a television."

"Well, at least some things work out. Doc Savage has been working on that for a couple of years. He hasn't perfected it yet. I mean, back when I am from … obviously he finally did, didn’t he? It was Doc, wasn’t it? I'm happy to see that he succeeded at last."

Clark was mystified, "Doc Savage? Who's Doc Savage?"

"I’m surprised that you never heard of him. Actually, you remind me of him. He is, uh, was a physical and mental marvel. He was trained, by scientifically designed methods from babyhood. He is … was extra strong and fast, very agile and smart. He also helps … helped people and the police. It’s so weird, I have to start thinking in the past tense." Striking a pose, she asked, "Well, what do you think?"

She was wearing a gray wrap skirt that fell all the way to her ankles, a silk blouse, a light jacket and pumps. As she walked toward him, the skirt opened at the overlap to reveal most of her leg. “Looks like you were right. They fit.”

“I knew that they would. Okay, now, are you hungry? It is lunchtime.”

She thought for a second and then nodded, “Yes, I could stand to have a meal. Where will we go?”

“I know this little place, off the beaten track. The cooking is excellent and the atmosphere is casual.”

“Okay. Sounds good to me. How do we get there, taxi?”

“Actually, I had another mode of travel in mind.” As she watched he started to spin in place. As he did, the charcoal gray of his suit changed into the primary colors of his uniform.

She watched in stunned disbelief and when he stopped and stood before her in uniform, she said, “Wow, that’s surely something. Is that what you did when you went into the other room?”

“Yes. I didn’t want to shock you too much. It was too soon. Okay, shall we go?”

She looked around and not seeing a balcony, asked, “Where do we leave from?”

He smiled and replied, “It is well known that Superman visits Lois Lane on occasion.” He stepped over to a window and with a gentle push, opened it. “She leaves this window unlocked so that I can come in whenever I want to.” He stepped over to her and scooped her up in his cradle carry and lifted her effortlessly. When he did, she skirt opened at the slit to reveal her shapely leg, almost all the way to the hip.

She yelped in surprise and then her arms automatically went around his neck the same way that Lois’s did and he smiled at the familiar gesture.

Stepping to the window he said, “Here we go.”

“Won’t I be cold? It usually is when I fly with Miles.”

“Fly with Miles?”

“Yes, Miles, Miles Crofton. He’s a pilot that works for Lamont and flies his autogyro. It has an open cockpit.”

With a chuckle, Clark replied, “No, you won’t be cold. My aura will protect you.”

“Aura?”

“Like a protective barrier. It covers whoever I am carrying. Don’t worry. You will be as safe as if you were a baby in your mother’s arms.”

“Easy for you to say.”

Even though she had already flown with him, as they lifted off, he could feel her arms tighten around his neck and he could see that her eyes were closed. He floated them out the window and then reached back to push it closed before zooming away.

After very few seconds, she started to relax and he could feel her loosen her grip around his neck. A few seconds later her eyes were open and she was looking around, interestedly.

He asked, “Isn’t this better than an autogyro?”

“Golly, yes! There’s no engine noise, no vibration … I don’t even have to shout to make myself heard. This is wonderful! Do you take Lois flying, often?”

“As often as I can, she loves to fly.”

With a broad smile, she replied, “I can see why!”

A few minutes later, Clark started his descent to a landing.

Margot saw a neatly maintained old fashioned farm house and neatly laid out fields. She didn’t see any crops, but that just meant that the harvest had been done recently. As they landed in the front yard, she saw a woman, who had apparently been watching for them, come bustling out of the house. Margot was embarrassed when without preamble, the woman threw her arms around her and gave her a motherly hug.

When ‘Lois’ didn’t respond as expected, Martha stepped back slightly, slid her hands down ‘Lois’s arms, grasped her hands and looked her over. As her hands touched ‘Lois’s’, she lifted Lois’s left hand and examined it. Then she looked accusingly at Clark and in a no nonsense tone, challenged, “Clark Jerome Kent, what have you done? Where is Lois’s ring?” She changed the object of her discourse and seeing the uncomfortable look on ‘Lois’s’ face, asked, “Lois, has this lunkhead of a son of mine done something? What did he do?”

Martha stopped when she heard Clark chuckle and looked at him. He turned to ‘Lois’ and said, “I told you … you look just like her.” Then he addressed his mom, “Mom, please allow me to introduce, Margot Lane. She is visiting our world temporarily while Lois is in her world. Margot, this is my mom, Martha Kent.”

Martha looked at her again and asked, “Margot? Margot Lane? How did this happen?”

“Clark said that someone named Tempus was responsible.”

At the name, Martha gasped and said, “Oh, no, not him again!”

In a resigned tone, Clark replied, “I’m afraid so.”

Martha slapped his arm and said, “Why didn’t you tell me while we were on the phone?”

Defensively, he replied, “I was going to, but you hung up before I could.”

Turning back to Margot, Martha said, “Oh, okay, well, anyway, welcome to Chez Kent. I guess you’re hungry otherwise you wouldn’t be here for lunch.” She hooked her arm with hers and headed for the door, “Let’s go in and get acquainted. I need to introduce you to my husband, Jonathan, Clark’s father…”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 05/12/17 10:28 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj