The sharp rap of a door closing heralded Lex’s departure from the room, accompanied by his quietly spoken words regarding some phone calls he needed to make.

Ever since Clark had come to this world and gently and affably charmed his way around her hostility, Lois was hard pressed to see the enemy in the face of Kal-El. She was grateful now for what she once saw as a weakness – both in her doppelgängers and now herself as she faced him. She had to ask him a hard question, and she had to believe herself safe from harm.

“You know, The Clarks strongly disliked Lex and it was mutual. Often times they would get into verbal baiting wars... and I think that Lex enjoyed it. He knew that they had run afoul of his doppelgänger and he enjoyed having powerful men treat him with caution.”

“His doppelgängers tried to kill them.”

“And nearly succeeded. And from what I learned, it was because Lex couldn’t bear to have anyone more powerful than he was in his realm.”

Kal-El nodded, waiting for her question.

“Did you deliberately bait Lex just now? Do you think he was baiting you?”

Kal-El exhaled as he pondered her question.

“I did not bait you,” he said. “That impulse is never there, however Lex... I may indeed have wanted to - “

“Frighten him?”

“Never,” his answer was so sudden, that she believed it.

“But you also wanted him to know that you could – if you wanted – be unstoppable.”

“When he said what he did – I guess I did feel – a need to compete with him."

“Because both of you were kings. His kingship more metaphorical than yours.”

He flushed, and looked down, which heartened her greatly.

“You think I was establishing a position of dominance out of habit?”

“Do you?”

“Likely I was - but not because of my abilities,” he finally answered her after a long silence.

“Lex will never cede the battlefield.”

“I do not intend to engage in battle with anyone.”

“Everyone here is afraid of you, and most people will not challenge you unless you are disabled by radiation. Lex is the only person I know who would. He wouldn’t even care if it led to his death. That being said – you have to learn not to let him get under your skin.”

Kal-El nodded, his eyes on hers radiating shame.

“If you feel like you need to warn us that you can disable our only means of defense because your honor compels you to do so, then fine – it might be hard to hear, but I understand that honor will naturally be difficult to stifle and I actually do believe you have a great deal of honor – I just want you to be aware that from my perspective, you reminded me of - “

He inhaled sharply at her words, showing the emotional pain that he clearly fought to hold at bay.

“No, not him - you reminded me of the two clarks – when they would argue with Lex, and I think you maybe are more like them than you know. Like Lex, loathe to cede. But you have to, because you aren’t on equal playing ground here. People know what you can do, and that includes Lex. Even if he shows no fear, he must feel it... and for that sake alone, please – try to remember – we are very uneasy about having you here.”

He nodded, his throat suddenly tight.

“I am sorry – because I cannot tell you in all truth that I said what I did in order to be helpful. I suppose – when he said what he did- I did feel the need to assert that I would not be so easily brought down, and I do think that I am – in some way, standing up for the others. Lex is not his doppelgängers And I do not have an adversarial relationship with him. I will do better.”

“You saw your clone, right? You saw him – when you challenged his right?”

“Yes, I did.”

“Remember how terrifying he was?” She was very emotional now, her eyes liquid brown and her mouth quirked in pain.

“Yes. I do.”

“So – I’m sorry to say this – because you came all this way to help us – but Kal-El – that’s how we feel when we look at you – we can’t help it – and we do get used to you as a separate person over time, but then each time we see you again, it’s like that – like seeing him, all over again. You have to get this right... even if you’re here to help – you have to get it right. Please.”

He shuddered, hearing her say a word that at one point he would have sworn would never pass from her to him.

“No need to ask, Lois – I should have known. I should have done better. I may find Lex a challenge on occasion, however - I have to remember that I have both a history here, and terrifying abilities that force me to edit my response."

“You’re suffering from what was done, and you must also be dealing with intense emotional fallout. Please don’t tell me you deserve it – just be honest.. what do you feel?”

“I - I am angry – not at you, but at my people – for what they did – and for not knowing it wasn’t me. Yes – I am angry – I feel betrayed and resentful. This is why I refused to be the leader – after what they did – I … I could never deal fairly with anyone.”

She smiled sadly and shook her head.

“I actually think you would have – but you deserve to free yourself of that burden. You deserve more than what life is going to give you... and what you are dealing with here. Maybe – in time, people will be easier around you. I was – with the Clarks and then with you.. just give us time.”

He nodded solemnly.

Last edited by L; 05/08/17 09:15 AM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence