Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Welcome to Lois Tuesday.
In order not to confuse my readers there will be essentially two stories running in parallel.

Comments go here.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Top Banana
Top Banana
In recent years I have become an aficionado of Old Time Radio, with The Shadow being one of the shows I have collected. That being said, I believe that I am well steeped in the traditions of The Shadow.
My maternal grandfather was a kid in the 30s, and he quoted The Shadow to his grandkids sometimes.

As they stepped out, Jimmy spotted them and snickering, asked, “Sharing Clark’s donut, Lois?”

Mystified, Lois replied with a grunt, “Huh?”

Clark looked at her face, smiled, placed his donut on top of his coffee cup, pulled out his handkerchief and wiped the powdered sugar from her mouth as Jimmy laughed and walked off.
laugh

Now that her attention had been drawn to the environment, she looked at the busy sidewalks and the numerous pedestrians as they drove and she found out just why Shrevvy had been staring at her legs. The current fashion had skirt lengths at mid-calf, not mid-thigh, which was the length of her skirt and most of the women wore hats. The men mostly wore business suits and almost all wore hats, fedoras like she had seen Indiana Jones wear in Raiders or derbies similar to that which Herb habitually wore. If she was going to fit in, she would have to change her wardrobe.
This reminds me of what my maternal grandmother, who was born in 1922, said about clothing when she was a young lady -- a proper young lady didn't go past the shop on the corner without a hat and gloves.

A slow smile appeared on Lamont Cranston’s face. Then he asked, “Does he use a secret identity?”

“Well, yeah, how’d you know?”

“Well, you see, I know because I too have certain ... abilities ... that I use to help people and fight crime.”

This appeared to confirm Lois’s supposition. She rolled her eyes and said, “Figures.”
No Superman in this universe, but there's another hero. Tempus thinks he's so smart, but he didn't quite think this one through, it seems.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bravo!

This fic is up at last. Lois is going to be spending some time around guys with gats. The clothes of that era were classy and elegant, just like our favorite lady reporter.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Annie,

Thanks for the FDK!

This story will last 13 weeks so hold onto your hat.

Originally Posted by Annie B.
In recent years I have become an aficionado of Old Time Radio, with The Shadow being one of the shows I have collected. That being said, I believe that I am well steeped in the traditions of The Shadow.
My maternal grandfather was a kid in the 30s, and he quoted The Shadow to his grandkids sometimes.

As I said, I’ve read Shadow stories and listened to the program, but even without any of that, there is one quote that almost everyone knows. That is “The Shadow Knows!”

Originally Posted by AnnieB.
As they stepped out, Jimmy spotted them and snickering, asked, “Sharing Clark’s donut, Lois?”

Mystified, Lois replied with a grunt, “Huh?”

Clark looked at her face, smiled, placed his donut on top of his coffee cup, pulled out his handkerchief and wiped the powdered sugar from her mouth as Jimmy laughed and walked off.
laugh

I thought that would be a cute image and so did my beta readers.

Now that her attention had been drawn to the environment, she looked at the busy sidewalks and the numerous pedestrians as they drove and she found out just why Shrevvy had been staring at her legs. The current fashion had skirt lengths at mid-calf, not mid-thigh, which was the length of her skirt and most of the women wore hats. The men mostly wore business suits and almost all wore hats, fedoras like she had seen Indiana Jones wear in Raiders or derbies similar to that which Herb habitually wore. If she was going to fit in, she would have to change her wardrobe.
This reminds me of what my maternal grandmother, who was born in 1922, said about clothing when she was a young lady -- a proper young lady didn't go past the shop on the corner without a hat and gloves.

Unfortunately, my grandmother never told us about her girlhood. I got a lot of my info from period movies and stories.

A slow smile appeared on Lamont Cranston’s face. Then he asked, “Does he use a secret identity?”

“Well, yeah, how’d you know?”

“Well, you see, I know because I too have certain ... abilities ... that I use to help people and fight crime.”

This appeared to confirm Lois’s supposition. She rolled her eyes and said, “Figures.”
No Superman in this universe, but there's another hero. Tempus thinks he's so smart, but he didn't quite think this one through, it seems.

That oversight will prove to be his downfall.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

You should know! Thanks for your help on this.

kj
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Two things I cannot fathom - why do more people read the FDK than the story and why so few comments.

This chapter has had 40 readers and the FDK has had over 60, but there have only been 2 comments.

kj
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally Posted by KenJ
Two things I cannot fathom - why do more people read the FDK than the story and why so few comments.

This chapter has had 40 readers and the FDK has had over 60, but there have only been 2 comments.

Excellent questions! And I have no idea. I have other related unanswered questions about the lack of comments, but don't want to hijack this thread.

I'm just getting caught up on my reading, and am fascinated by this premise. clap My dad and an uncle used to quote The Shadow. Both had fun with I think it was its tagline, "Only The Shadow Knows!..." followed by a deep evil-sounding laugh.

Looking forward to reading more!

Last edited by cuidadora; 05/13/17 11:07 AM. Reason: Typo fix
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi cuidadora,

Thanks for the FDK!

Originally Posted by cuidadora
I'm just getting caught up on my reading, and am fascinated by this premise. clap My dad and an uncle used to quote The Shadow. Both had fun with I think it was its tagline, "Only The Shadow Knows!..." followed by a deep evil-sounding laugh.

Looking forward to reading more!

Yes! Even those that did not grow up listening to The Shadow on the radio know that line. It has made its way into the common vernacular. You will hear (read) the entire quote in a later chapter.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard