Next Thread
Print Thread
#274828 04/08/17 03:20 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
You can review, you know, if you feel like it. grin

Agoraphobia

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
I loved this! clap Your writing created a palpable growing fear and paranoia that made me believe, over time, how Clark could have gotten to the point at which he and Lois have "the talk". And I can see from Lois' point of view how, too, this situation developed over time, little things that slowly became bigger until she looked around and recognized what had happened. The courage it takes to address a problem head on, to know that a threat to their relationship is looming in the background, but that they are strong enough to push past it, the stress released by overcoming the fear - it just all felt so real. hail

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I want to echo what Groobie said. I had to stop and force myself to read slower because of my growing sense of fear for Clark. Well and masterfully done! And what courage for Lois to put Clark back on the right track. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aw, Mouserocks haven't heard from you in awhile.

Loved this. I loved how you kept it completely in Lois' POV so we could see the world from her POV as she watched Clark pull further and further away until she'd had enough and had the 'talk' with him to bring 'her Clark' back. Very powerful and very moving. Hope to read more soon smile

clap jump

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome back, Mouse. This is a good companion piece to Joan's 'Mirror, Mirror'. The anxiety builds to an scary tipping point. I could see how Clark could get paranoid about this small detail. Such a big difference from the guy who used to heat up his coffee in a full newsroom using his heat vision.

Even without alter-egos, many marriages die in this manner as one person slips further and further away from the rest of the family. I could feel Lois's pain. She loved her husband and he was disappearing. I'm glad she took the time to show him how he wasn't saving them from anything other than Clark Kent. Comparing himself to Sam Lane, must have hurt. He didn't want to be that kind of dad.

Their daughter was right. He had become an Agoraphobic. He demonstrated that when he left through the front door for the first time in long time. Even forgetting that Clark wore glasses. jawdrop

Did he really out himself at 50? eek That seems a bit young and extreme, because doing so he also outed his children. The next generation of Kents would suddenly be public domain and would never be able to have private lives of their own. Isn't that one of things Clark's secret identity was supposed to protect? I guess I'm in the camp that believes that the Kent family could come up with a better way to explain their apparent age differences until another answer could be found.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Great job Mouse! A realistic view of issues Clark and Lois would deal with as they aged. As others have pointed out, I like the way you revealed the gradual changes over time. You've re-emphasized what the show also said, that he needs both Clark and Superman. Being Superman isn't enough. I like that you had him out himself when it would be very apparent he wasn't aging.

I laughed over the cheese of the month club excuse!

I especially liked this line:

What I am saying is that if I had to choose between the world maybe finding out Superman's secret identity or never getting my husband back, I wouldn't hesitate for a second."

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So great to see your name on the boards again!

Good take on the idea that the difference in his and Lois'age would cause him to act a little strange.

But, I don't believe he would reveal to the world that he is Superman. The recupercussions would be too great. If it were just he and Lois ...maybe. But his children's lives would be in danger and that is not something he could risk.

Again, great story!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Mouse,

I too didn't like the idea of outing the family that early. It would become a full time job for him protecting them. It was nothing a little makeup couldn't cure.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. blush Thanks for all the reviews! sloppy Missed you all! The only point I'll really address is regarding Clark revealing he's Superman so young-- I did debate the age he'd choose to do this at (after all, current day Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher still look mighty fine thumbsup drool ). But ultimately I figured for the sake of this story, Clark wouldn't want to tempt himself by ever coming near this same scenario again, and this way he could control the narrative.

But yeah, he probably could have waited a good ten years longer, if he came out with it at all. wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard