Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 18

NOTE: Okay so I know it's been longer than a week since the last post. I'm sorry. Really I am but once you read the next part you'll understand why it took so long. It is really hard to write Clark like this...

BTW: I stole a funny story from Tracy Scroggins interview about something that happened with her and Dean during a during a drunk escapade with the water towers as one of the "I Nevers" for Lucy. Seriously, you have to watch this. It's funny.

Part 18:
“What are you doing?” Johnny asked as Toni grabbed him by the collar, pulling him to her.

“I’m sorry. This has to look real…” She whispered in his ear. “I’m going to stab you, and you are going to escape. Go underground and don’t come near Metropolis or you’re dead.”

“Wha..?” Johnny stammered, uncertain of how to respond to what she’d just told him. “Toni, wait, Toni, no!” He yelled when he saw the sharp hair stick in her hand.

“I’m sorry, Johnny.”

The room was spinning. The pounding of his head centered around his temple. Slowly he began to open his eyes, wincing at first from the pain as he peeled his eyes open. The bright light from the sun shone into his eyes, and he grimaced in pain, letting out a soft moan.

“Are you okay?” Lois asked, kneeling down to look at Clark, brushing the hair out of his face. His back. He could feel a burning sensation along the small of his back and tried to force himself to sit up.

“Easy there, tiger,” Sam Lane said from behind him, pushing his shoulder back down on the ground. “You were unconscious for a good couple of minutes. You need to lie back and give yourself a minute.”

“I’m fine.” He said flatly, trying to sit up once more.

“Clark, maybe you should listen to Sam.” His dad interjected from the other side of him. “That was a nasty fall you took.” Lois pushed him back down, keeping her hand on his chest.

He sighed, “Fine. How long do I have to sit here for?”

“Just let me give you a once over to make sure you don’t have a concussion,” Sam said, pulling out his ophthalmoscope, shining the bright light in his eyes. “You really should be more careful. That broken fence could have been a lot worse on you.” He stared back at Sam, following the light as he instructed him. “Okay, everything looks fine.” He patted him on the shoulder.

Upon hearing that he pushed himself up, taking Sam’s offered hand to help him stand up. “Thanks.” He said, trying to catch his balance.

“You gonna be all right?” Sam asked, eying his unsteady balance warily.

“I just need a minute.” He said, taking a shaky breath.

Lois wrapped a protective arm around his waist, “Come on, let’s get you inside.”

“I’ll need the names of the detectives you think are on Lex Luthor’s payroll and any information you can tell me about the suspect they have in custody,” Mayson said, jotting down notes on her legal pad.

Henderson shook his head, “It’s not that simple. He’s not even in custody.”

Mayson’s jaw tightened as she scowled, “You said he was picked up by patrol and brought to Metropolis P.D.”

“Yes, that’s correct.” Henderson said, with a nod, “…but his paperwork was never processed.”

“Are you telling me we have detectives holding a suspect without processing and obstructing justice?” Mayson asked, her eyes narrowing as she spoke.

“That’s what I’m telling you,” Henderson repeated.

“Sounds like you’ve got a whole slew of crooked gumshoes in the joint.” A voice said as Mayson’s door flung open.

Henderson and Mayson both turned to see a tall man with dark brown hair and chiseled features standing in the doorway of her office. “I’m sorry Ms. Drake, he just came through without…” Her assistant tried to explain.

Mayson sighed, recognizing the man immediately, “Mr. Davenport, what bring you to Metropolis?”

He snorted, “Director Padelski got a call from Mr. Wayne about corruption in the Metropolis P.D. on a toxic level. Wants the place cleaned out.”

“So, I’ve heard,” Mayson said as a petite blonde appeared behind him, putting a folded paper on her desk. “What is this?” Mayson asked.

“Federal warrant to search the premises of Metropolis P.D. and arrest any officers we find connected with coercion in the Luthor case.” The young woman said.

“And you are?” Mayson prompted.

“Agent Wallace. Christina Wallace, Ms. Drake.” She said, offering her hand to shake Mayson’s.

Mayson took it standing to her feet, “Davenport, Agent Woods, this is Inspector Bill Henderson.”

“Actually I’m…” He began to argue.

“He was just demoted for trying to serve a warrant for Lex Luthor last night. He’ll be your expert on the case.” Mayson cut him off, ignoring the panicked expression on his face.

“You department’s dirty,” Davenport said flatly.

“I know,” Henderson said in disgust. “I had no idea how dirty it was until now.”

“You sure we can trust him?” Woods asked, eying him critically.

Davenport looked to Mayson who nodded, “He’s clean.” She walked toward them, “Well, looks like it’s our lucky day, huh, Henderson?”

Back at the Kent farm, Lois had managed to successfully stagger Clark far enough away from the meteorite so he could regain his strength to make it the rest of the three and a half acre hike back to the farmhouse without help. Lois remained quiet, mulling over everything as they approached the farmhouse in the distance.

One minute they had been making up after his boneheaded move of trying to force her into hiding the next he’d been unconscious on the ground and…bleeding. Clark had been bleeding.

<<“Do you remember when we dealt with that guy, Trask….I told you he THOUGHT there was a meteorite that could kill …. Superman?”>>

A few months ago she thought that poisonous rock was a myth. Now, she knew it was a dangerous weapon. A dangerous weapon that was still out there and capable of harming Clark. She glanced at him, watching as he placed a hand on his lower back where he’d fallen. It was obvious he was still hurting even if he didn’t want to admit it.

<<“Bureau 39 was shut down from what we’ve been able to tell, and my dad said they haven’t seen any other sign of Kryptonite on Wayne Irig’s property….” >>

The fears she’d had months ago of someone finding the Kryptonite and using it against Clark were seeming less and less like an unwarranted fear and more of a likely possibility. They had stumbled across the meteorite by accident. Who knows what someone could find if they were actually looking for the lethal substance? They could use it against Clark, or they could sell it to someone looking to harm him. The market on this substance would probably make it as valuable as any street drug in Metropolis.

<<“Luthor and the rest of the world don’t know that Kryptonite exists.” Clark sighed. “As long as it remains a figment of Trask’s imagination then there’s nothing to worry about,”>>

The only saving grace for her sanity at the moment was the fact that Clark’s secret was still safe. If Lex ever found out, he would try to use it against him so he could finally take care of his ‘Superman Problem.’ She wouldn’t let that happen.

“Lois??” Clark squeezed her shoulder as they walked up the steps to the front porch where Martha and her mother were sitting.

“Huh?” Lois asked, confused, realizing she’d been lost in thoughts so much she’d been oblivious to the conversations going on around her.

Martha smiled, “Ellen and I are gonna head into town.”

Ellen nodded, “Martha offered to take me to one of her art classes. I’ve never been to one and thought…while I’m here…why not?” She looked at Lois carefully, “Are you all right?”

Lois nodded, “Sounds fun.” It was strange seeing her mother like this. The woman that had warned her off of men and drowned her sorrows in a bottle of tequila was long gone. In her place was a vibrant woman that seemed intent on making the most of life and trying new things. It still surprised her how well her mother and Martha seemed to have connected with one another. Her mother didn’t make friends easily, but Clark’s mom seemed to have a knack for making everyone feel at home.

“Lois, are you okay?” Ellen asked.

“What?” Lois asked, realizing she must have missed out on another part of the conversation. The annoyed expression on her mother’s face told her she had indeed missed something. “I’m sorry I was ….someplace else.”

“So it would seem.” Ellen muttered dryly before glancing her up and down, “I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you two look like hell.”

It was Martha’s turn to circle around them, “You do look pretty tired.”

Lois caught Clark’s gaze and noticed him mouthing something to her. She focused on the motions, trying to make out what he was saying. ‘Don’t tell her.’ She gave him an annoyed look. Did he seriously think he could hide something like this from his mother?

“Lois??”

Lois looked back to see Martha looking at her expectantly, “Yes?”

She smiled warmly at her, “Uh, did you ever decide if you two were staying the night or…?” She cast a glance at Clark quizzically who looked at Lois.

“Um, still thinking about it,” Lois said rather quickly. Clark gave her a quizzical look but didn’t say anything. Clark pasted on a smile as Martha listed off where the leftovers from dinner were.

“If it’s not safe for us in Metropolis what makes you think it’s safe for you?” Ellen asked.

She caught the raised eyebrow on Clark’s expression before throwing him an annoyed look, “Well, we can’t exactly stop Lex away from Metropolis, can we?” Lois retorted, “Someone has to stop him…to help Jimmy.”

“We’re not saying not to help your friend or to stop investigating Luthor but considering everything that’s happened…” Martha shrugged, “Maybe you oughta lay low for a few days,” She glanced at Clark with a tightened jaw, “Even Superman can’t run on fumes forever.”

“We’ll think about it.” Lois said hurriedly, glancing back at Clark for a moment, “but is there even room?”

“There’s a spare bedroom in the attic and in the hayloft if need be,” Clark explained. “There’s room.”

“Well if you do decide to stay, Ellen and Lucy are in your old room,” Martha explained as she gathered her things to head out. She leaned in to hug them both, before whispering, “Don’t think you can fool me for a minute.” Lois overheard Martha whisper in Clark’s ear who gave her a half-smile and nodded before Martha turned to say, “Be back in a bit.”

With that both her and Ellen headed to the old Ford pickup truck in the driveway and headed out. They watched them leave and waved before turning to head inside. Lois noticed Clark seemed to still be in pain. “How are you feeling?”

“A little shaky but I’ll be okay. I should be back to a hundred percent in no time.” He reassured with a sigh. “Sorry.”

“One of those holes in your brilliant plan coming to light, huh?” Lois asked sarcastically, throwing him a twisted half-smile.

He let out a heavy sigh, “I thought we were done arguing.” He took a seat on the couch in the Living Room.

Lois looked at him with an annoyed look, “I’m still a little mad.”

“I know.” He murmured, leaning his head back against the couch as he let out a long sigh. “I’m sorry.”

She took a seat next to him, and he threw her an apologetic smile, “…but I’m also worried.”

He let out a long breath, “It’ll be okay,” He reassured her, leaning in to kiss her.

Lucy padded her way into the living room with a bag and handed it to Lois, taking a seat on the love seat across from them. “What’s this?” Lois asked.

She pointed to the back door where Sam and Jonathan had just come in, “A couple of burner phones.” Lucy explained. “Clark’s dad gave them to me.”

“Burner phones?” Clark echoed, pulling a few of the plastic packaged phones from the bag to examine them. “Why did ….” He stopped himself, “Never mind. I don’t even want to know.”

“Hey, son, how are you feeling?” Jonathan asked, taking a seat in the recliner next to the sofa Lois and Clark were sitting on.

Sam took a seat next to Lucy. He glanced at Clark with a look of concern, “Are you sure you don’t want to go to a hospital? You really don’t look good. After that fall…”

“Fall?” Lucy asked curiously.

“He, uh, fell on the old fence by the Irig property,” Lois said hurriedly avoiding her sister’s gaze. If there was anyone that could tell she was lying it was Lucy.

“I’m fine, Sam.” Clark smiled back, “I’m just a little sore is all.”

Lucy gave Clark a sympathetic look, “My first year of Junior High I got talked into taking riding lessons by mom. Got thrown off my horse and cracked a few ribs…”

“You never should have been on that horse, to begin with.” Sam said gruffly, “Your mother had no right to…”

“It was a birthday gift.” Lucy cut him off, ignoring her father’s ramblings as she continued. “Anyway, it was one of my favorite memories…before the fall.”

Lois smiled at her sister, “What was that horse’s name?”

“Diamond in the Rough,” Lucy said proudly.

“Oh right. You were going through your Aladdin phase.” Lois sighed, recalling the name.

“Careful or I’ll start singing.” Lucy teased.

Clark laughed, and she saw the twinkle in Lucy’s eyes as she contemplated her next move. Her lips pursed for a moment before she leaned back against him, seeming to admit defeat for the moment.

“This is quite a place you have here, Jonathan. I would never have thought you could fit so many people in a house this size.” Sam mused, looking around.

“Martha and I did some updates a while back after the fire in the barn. We had enough money left over to make some additions. Martha’s always a good hostess, so she likes having room for when family comes to visit from Witchita.” Jonathan explained.

“The addition looks great. Better than any contractor in Metropolis ever would have done that’s for sure.” Sam said with a smile.

“I’ll be sure to pass the compliment on to Martha and Wayne,” Jonathan said with a smile. There was a lull in the conversation as they looked from one another, all knowing this was anything but a social call.

Lucy glanced at the time on the grandfather clock. “Almost seven in Metropolis. I wonder if they’ve processed Jimmy yet.”

Lois frowned, looking at her sister sympathetically, “We have his attorney sitting down there on standby ready to get him out the moment they do. I just wish they’d go ahead and book him so we can get him out.”

“You and me both.” Clark sighed, leaning his head against hers as his arm wrapped around her shoulders from behind.

“Jimmy’s a smart kid, but I don’t know that he’d be able to survive in jail very long let alone prison. These are serious charges they’re trying to pin on him.” Lucy sighed tearfully. “I just don’t understand how all this happened.”

“I wish I knew.” Clark sighed, “Believe me, but they can only hold him for 72 hours without booking him. Bill Henderson said he was going to…”

“….try to. He just got demoted, so I don’t know how much pull he’ll have.” Lois reminded him.

“He’s going to try and do what he can to help Jimmy.” Clark conceded her correction.

Lucy looked at them in concern, “What happens if we can’t?”

California Institute Penitentiary issued a statewide alert. “Inmate AW6958 Johnny Taylor, alias Anthony Taylor, Bad Habit Taylor, escape from California Medical for routine ligament repair. Inmate is thought to be armed and dangerous….”

After dinner, the elder Kents had retired for the evening along with Sam and Ellen, leaving Lois and Clark with Lucy on the porch. “Mom’s out for the night I think,” Lucy said, leaning back in the wooden rocker.

“I think Sam is too.” Clark murmured against Lois’ hair as he swung with Lois on the porch swing. “It’s been a long day…for everyone.”

“Thanks for staying,” Lucy said softly, leaning back to look at the stars. “Mom and dad would have driven me nuts without you guys here.”

Lois smiled, leaning back into Clark as she spoke, “I’ll admit I really didn’t want to stay…” She glanced back at Clark a moment before looking at Lucy, “…but I’m glad I changed my mind.”

“Me too.” Lucy said, tapping her hand on the arm of the rocker, “It’s quiet out here.” A twinkle formed in her eyes and she looked at Lois with a grin, “Hey you know what we should do?”

“What?” Clark asked, uncertain about the expression he saw on Lucy’s face. It was the same expression Lois got when she hatched one of her infamous plans.

“Wait here.” She said, heading back into the house with a grin.

“Do I want to know?” Clark asked.

Lois laughed, “She’s harmless.” She turned in his arms to sit up and face him, “How are you feeling?”

“Just a little sore,” He shrugged. At her concerned look, he elaborated, “I’ve never come in direct contact like that before….Well, no that’s not entirely true. I had to touch it when I threw it into the pond over there…” He said, pointing at the pond across from the barn.

“Oh,” Lois grew quiet, following the direction of his hand with her eyes. He caught the wistful expression in her eyes as she turned her gaze back to him, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

He let out a long sigh, pulling her to him as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, “You scared me.” She murmured softly against the cotton of his t-shirt, resting her chin against his shoulder. She ran her hands up and down the length of his shoulders, fingering the material carefully.

He captured her right hand with his, intertwining it with his fingers as he laced his digits snugly between the wedges of her fingers, bringing their joined hands up for him to kiss. He turned to look at her, stroking her cheek with his hand, “I’m sorry. I wish you didn’t have to see that.”

Her face dropped, looking at the floor as she studied the cracks in the wood floor, “You were hurt. I’ve never seen you hurt before.” She said shakily, leaning her head against his chest.

He nodded, tightening his arm around her waist, resting his chin against her head, “It was a big chunk of Kryptonite.” He admitted slowly.

“How long does it take to, um…” She lifted her head, fingering his chest playfully as she looked up at him, “heal.”

He smiled back at her, leaning in to kiss her as he murmured, “A few days was how long it took last time.”

“So are you….completely vulnerable?” She asked, running her hands up and down his sides gingerly as she spoke.

“Depends,” He shrugged, running his hand down the curve of her back, resting at the hem of her shirt.

“On what?” She asked, slipping her hand below the hem of his t-shirt.

The screen door opened and she pulled her hand back, looking back at Lucy with a smile, “Surprise!” She pulled out a small bottle of tequila and a few small glasses from the kitchen. “I figured after today we all needed a drink.”

Lois let out a low whistle, “Mom is going to kill you…”

Clark laughed, “Are you sure you want to be drinking with your mom ….?”

Lucy nodded, “I’m only going to have a few shots then I’ll brush my teeth and take a shower, so I don’t smell like alcohol when I go to bed. Not my first rodeo, Clark.” Lucy began to pour liquor into the glasses then reached for her purse to pull out a bottle of Asprin.

“What’s the Asprin for?” Clark asked.

Lois bit her lower lip trying to suppress her laughter, “The anti-hangover kit of Lucy’s.”

Lucy handed them both a large bottle of water. “For every drink, you drink water. Don’t forget to take the Asprin or you will regret it in the morning.”

Clark looked at the two pills Lucy had handed him skeptically. Even in his weakened state, he wasn’t sure how much affect Asprin would have on him let alone alcohol. At Lucy’s prompting, he shrugged and swallowed the two white pills with a swig of water and took the glass Lucy had offered him.

“Let’s see what should we toast to….?” Lucy asked, looking back at them for suggestions.

“World peace?” Lois asked sarcastically, taking her glass from Lucy.

“Superman!” Lucy cheered, lifting her glass in the air, “Wherever he is. Fighting the big bad Luthor and helping Jimmy any way he can….and keeping us safe.”

Lois smiled, “Here here.” She took a sip of the cool liquid, wincing as the burning feeling hit her throat. Lucy laughed, and she scolded, “Shhh…”

“To good friends,” Clark said, lifting his glass Lucy had just refilled.

“Here here,” Lucy said, raising her glass to take another sip.

“Careful,” Lois warned, “She’s notorious for getting people drunk with that heavy hand,” She said, pointing at Lucy who was pouring some more tequila in their glasses.

“Excuses excuses,” Lucy teased. “She just doesn’t want to admit she’s a lightweight.”

“I’m not the one that ended up at the Alpha Phi Alpha Frat House too plastered to remember t-ping the Technology Lab at Met U.” Lois laughed, taking another sip of the liquor, leaning closer to Clark as she rested her head against his shoulder.

Lucy laughed, “I forgot about that,”

“I didn’t.” Lois laughed, leaning into Clark, fingering his thigh for a moment. He caught her gaze as he took another sip of his drink.

“So what about you, Clark?”

He turned to Lucy who was looking at him expectantly. “Me? No, I don’t recall waking up at any frat houses…”

Lucy and Lois laughed, and she continued, “No, do you have any funny drunk moments?”

He shook his head, “No, I’ve never been drunk before.”

“Liar.” Lucy laughed, “Come on everyone’s been drunk at least once.”

He shook his head, “I guess I have a high tolerance.”

“Challenge accepted.” Lucy laughed, pouring some more liquor into his glass. “Clark, have you ever played ‘I never…?’”

As the night wore on, they had finished about half of Lucy’s bottle of tequila. Clark felt a strange warmth throughout his body as he held Lois close to him. He wasn’t’ sure if it was the alcohol or the Kryptonite, but he was definitely feeling….good….relaxed. More relaxed than he’d felt in weeks…months even.

“Okay,” Lucy let a lazy smile spread across her face as she let her eyes twinkle at Lois, “I’ve never….been thrown out of a plane.”

Lois laughed, “I guess that’s us.” She leaned forward to take her glass and took a drink, but Clark didn’t move.

“Maybe he doesn’t understand the rules,” Lucy whispered not so subtly.

He laughed, “I didn’t get thrown I jumped.”

Lucy laughed, “Why would you….” Then she rolled her eyes, “You know what? Nevermind, moving on…”

Lois took a drink then looked back at her sister, fingering the glass for a moment, “I’ve never….” Her face spread into an impish grin as she finally thought of her challenge, “tried to get into a club with a fake ID.” He couldn’t help but chuckle at the way her eyebrows wiggled at Lucy as she spoke. It was clear who this ‘ I never’ was directed at.

“That’s me,” Lucy said, taking a drink.

Clark laughed, “Yeah, I figured.”

“Are you feeling any….buzz yet?” Lucy asked, tapping the side of her glass with a smile, looking at him curiously.

Buzz? He wasn’t sure what he was feeling at the moment. He felt warm and relaxed. He glanced down next to him where Lois had reclaimed her position curled up next to him and smiled. He looked back at Lucy and noticed the look on her face. Why is she staring at me? Oh, right buzzed. Am I buzzed? He opted for the most truthful answer at the moment and smiled back at her, “Not sure yet.”

“Okay, Clark, your turn,” Lucy said, pushing the bottle off tequila toward him to fill the glasses with.

He sighed, taking the bottle from her and pouring the same small amount in each glass, “I’ve never…run from a police officer.” He grinned at Lois who burst out laughing, taking the glass he handed her.

“I think that’s both of us, sis,” Lucy laughed, taking a drink. “Okay, I’ve never…spied on people with bino-CULA-rrs or other vision gizmos?”

Clark laughed, taking a sip of his drink with Lois, “Guilty as charged.”

Lois twirled her glass in her hand for a moment as she thought of hers, “I never….skipped school.” She said with a grin.

“Mmm mmm,” Lucy shook her head, “Yes you did.”

She shook her head, “No, I didn’t.”

“Journey concert Junior year we won tickets….” Lucy prompted.

“Oh, yeah,” Lois laughed, “That was fun.”

He sighed, taking a drink from his glass. Lois looked at him with amusement, and Lucy laughed. “I guess that’s all three of us.”

Lois bumped his hip, “Details?”

“Nuh-uh,” He shook his head.

“Oh, come on, I told you mine!” Lois shot back.

“She has a point.” Lucy pointed out. “...and according to the rules if you don’t spill you have to drink.” She gave him an impish grin, “So which is it going to be?”

He pointed to the bottle, “I guess I’m going to drink.”

“Spoil sport.” Lois shot back.

“I’ll second that,” Lucy said, pouring more in her glass.

“You two are no fun.” Lois sighed, leaning back against him. “I’ll get it out of you eventually…”

“I’m sure you will…” Lucy teased with a giggle. “Okay, Clark, your turn,”

He looked at Lois with a grin then said, “I’ve never…needed stitches.” Lois sighed, taking her glass from him. To his amusement, Lucy grabbed a glass too.

“Mmm,” Lois took a drink, “That’s both of us.”

“I’ve never…been seduced.” Lucy said in a fit of giggles. He noticed how Lois’ eyes did a little dance when she turned to look back at him for a moment, catching his gaze as her cheeks turned a dark shade of pink before leaning her back against him. Yes, he could no longer claim innocence in the art of seduction after last night. He felt his cheeks grow bright red at the memory of Lois’ body intertwined so perfectly with his. “Ha! I knew it!” Lucy cheered when their faces betrayed them. “Okay, both of you have to drink now.”

He grinned, reaching for his glass, sighing as he took a drink. The hint of lavender against his nostrils continued to tease him as Lois inched herself closer and closer to him. He let out a shuddered breath before taking another drink. Definitely more relaxed.

“Okay, my turn.” Lois sat up straight, pouring more liquor into the glasses. “I’ve never….been so drunk I left my friends on top of a water tower when the cops showed up and forgot where I was the next morning.” Lois laughed recalling the incident.

Lucy crinkled her nose, taking a drink. “That was one time….”

“Okay, I’ve never….” He looked between the two sisters as he tried to force his mind to think of something he’d never done. “been accused of being drunk because I’m too clumsy.” He grinned at Lois, recalling an incident early in their partnership with Inspector Henderson and a breathalyzer.

Lois groaned, giving him a mock glare before reaching for her glass. Lucy gave her a questioning look, and Lois was all too willing to share the details as she ran her hand up and down his upper thigh with her generous touch, grazing just high enough to be tempting but not high enough to be dangerous in their very public setting. He could feel himself melting into the back of the porch swing. If he still had his powers, he was sure there would be a handprint to show for her efforts. “Henderson just doesn’t know when to leave well enough alone.” At Lucy’s inquiring look she sighed, “I got accused of being drunk because I kept tripping over my long skirt when we were out on assignment.” Lucy laughed, and Lois shook her head, “It’s not funny. I had to take a breathalyzer to convince him I was sober. He wouldn’t believe Clark.”

Lucy laughed harder, “Oh, my God…that’s awesome.” She cleared her throat, sitting up, “Okay, I’ve never…been in handcuffs.”

Lois shook her head, “Yes you have!”

Lucy crinkled her nose, “When?”

“On your date with, uh, what’s his name….Tony? Tommy? Timmy?”

“Oh, Todd.” Lucy grinned, recalling the incident. “Yeah, note-to-self, don’t straddle the state line yelling ‘I’m in two places at once’ when you’re underaged drinking. It doesn’t end well.”

Clark laughed, leaning up to grab his glass, “I guess that’s all of us then.”

Lucy looked at him in surprise, “Clark Kent the rebel, huh?” She teased. “Okay, spill.”

“Nope,” He shook his head, taking a drink.

“Oh, come on!” Lucy laughed, “I’ll tell you how Lois ended up in handcuffs in her Sophomore year of college.”

Lois thankfully took pity on him, “Sophomore year of college spirit week I came to class dressed as Cindy Lauper for the decade day. Anyway one of the instructors seemed to misinterpret the outfit and accused me of being in a gang…”

Lucy laughed in peals of laughter, “Tell him what you did next…” She said in a sing-song voice.

“I might have kicked him in a very sensitive area and called him a chauvinistic, sexist pig…right before I transferred out of that class.” Clark laughed, leaning into Lois as she told the story. He could imagine her being just as much of a handful back then as she was now.

Lucy let out a soft giggle as she added, “Assault with a deadly weapon of high heels and hairspray!”

Clark grinned at Lois with a lazy smile, “So did they make you check your heels and hairspray in the big house or…”

She swatted at him, “Ha, ha, very funny.” She sighed, running her hands through her dark locks, “It was not the big house. I was placed in handcuffs by the campus security and released when the real police showed up. So there!”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, sis,” Lucy teased. She pointed to the glass in front of him, “Drink up Clark. You don’t share you have to drink.”

He nodded, taking the glass, holding it up and taking a drink. He was definitely starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. He felt the sting in his throat once more and then turned to Lucy, “Your turn.”

Lucy nodded, taking the bottle and beginning to pour, “I’ve never…” She looked right at Lois before grinning, “been sent to the principals’ office for sneezing.” Clark laughed, and Lois chuckled, leaning forward to take her refilled glass from Lucy, “Drink up, sis.”

“I swear our Algebra teacher just hated me.” She took a drink before continuing. “I sneezed in class, and my teacher asked me to step out of the classroom.” He fought to suppress his laughter but was failing miserably, and she continued, “and before you ask, No, I’m not joking. I didn’t hear incorrectly….” She then continued, “She then proceeded to tell me how incredibly rude it is to sneeze while someone is speaking…as if I had a choice in the matter.”

“How dare you give in to normal bodily functions when she’s speaking. Gosh, Lois, how rude!” Lucy said sarcastically.

“Yeah I know, right? Imagine if everyone gave into their bodily functions. There would be chaos…” Lois laughed, “Anyway I voiced my…ahem…displeasure at being singled out when others can get away with other bodily functions without so much as a second glance…and found myself sitting in the principal’s office for my smart mouth.”

“She has a problem with authority.” Lucy supplied as if it wasn’t obvious.

“I have a problem with stupid people in authority. Big difference.” Lois said lazily, leaning closer to Clark as she ran her hands up his chest. He grinned lazily at her, catching her gaze as she slowly licked her lips. He was in so much trouble.

“I’ve seen the error in my ways…” Lucy laughed, pushing the bottle to Lois, “Your turn.”

Lois leaned forward to take the bottle from Lucy and began to pour, “I’ve never…” She gave Lucy an impish grin before saying, “got arrested for trying to ride a shopping cart down 15th Avenue outside MetroMart while too wasted to stand up straight..” Her eyebrows raised into an arch as she fought to suppress the laughter she was holding in, causing the swing to vibrate against him.

The look on Lucy’s face said it all, “Okay okay, good one.” Lucy leaned forward to take a drink from her glass and supplied, “…but WHO dared me?”

“I didn’t think you’d DO it.” Lois shrugged.

“When have I ever been known to turn down a dare?.” Lucy grinned before turning her attention back to him, “All right, Clark, you’re up.”

He nodded, taking the bottle from Lois to pour into Lucy’s glass, “I’ve never….” He glanced at Lois before grinning, “cried in public from a song.”

Lois sighed, “It was a SAD song.”

“Yes, it is,” He agreed, “I just never cried listening to it.”

“What song?” Lucy asked, taking her glass and handing Lois hers.

“That song mom used to play on the record player all the time….” Lois snapped her fingers. “I can’t remember the name….”

“How does it go?” Lucy asked.

Lois began to hum the beat, “I lifted her head, she looked at me and said ‘Hold me darlin’ just a little while.’ I held her close; I kissed her our last kiss…”

Lucy immediately recognized the tune, “Oh, I remember,” She began to sing, “I found the love that I knew I would miss but now she’s gone, even though I hold her tight….”

“Yes!” Lois sighed, “What is that song? It’s going to drive me crazy…”

“Last Kiss.” Clark supplied, wrapping his arm around her shoulders,“ by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers…”

Lois nodded, leaning her head back against his shoulder as she and Lucy joined together to finish singing the song together, “…I lost my love, my life that night. Oh, where oh where can my baby be? The Lord took her away from me. She’s gone to heaven, so I got to be good. So I can see my baby when I leave this world…”

Lucy sighed, “I haven’t heard that song in ages. Mom used to play it every night.”

“Mmm hmm,” Lois nodded, turning to face him as she brought her legs up, so they were laid across his lap. He let out a long breath as she snuggled closer to him, offering a perfect view down her v-neck cut shirt as her hand moved up his upper arm, tracing the outline of his bicep. He fought the urge to say ‘to hell with this game’ and focus on activities both his brain and his body found more enjoyable at the moment.

He was definitely more than a little buzzed now. Especially with the double shots, he’d been forced to take when he didn’t want to tell about his time in handcuffs or skipping school to avoid an uncomfortable talk about his developing powers in Junior High. Explaining it was Superman in handcuffs, and it was Superman’s powers developing when he was skipping school wasn’t something he couldn’t very well tell Lucy. Lois sighed against him, and he let out a shuddered breath. He felt the soft flesh from beneath her shirt press against him. “Okay, Luce, your turn.”

Lucy nodded, readjusting herself in her seat, “Okay, I’ve never….been naked in public.” Her eyes did a little dance, and he groaned, leaning forward to take a drink. Lois gave him an impish grin, leaning her back against him.

“Details?” Lucy prompted, “I’m very curious now.”

He sighed, hoping he could tell this story without giving himself away. It was taking everything in him to carry on a coherent conversation at the moment. The combination of the liquor, the scent of Lois’ perfume and her closeness were all making it hard for him to concentrate. His head was swimming as glanced at her jean clad thighs pressed up against him. “Uh, around the time of Nightfall I lost my memory and was found…..wandering around….” He gave a twirling hand gesture as he spoke.

“…without any clothes.” Lois finished for him with a grin, wiggling her eyebrows at him. “Luckily some homeless guy felt sorry for him and gave him something to wear and took him to the Mission on Fifth Street where he was recognized and brought to Henderson who called me.”

Lucy’s face fell into a frown, “That …. is a very depressing story. I was expecting a high school dare or something.” She sighed, “I’m sorry you lost your memory Clark, but I’m glad you got it back.”

He smiled back at her, glancing at Lois as he tightened his arm around her, “Me too.”

Lucy set her glass down, knocking it over, spilling out the half-melted ice. “Oops.”

“I think that’s our cue to stop.” Clark laughed, leaning over to help Lucy try to clean up the mess. He didn’t trust himself to stand just yet.

“Are you at least a LITTLE buzzed?” Lucy asked, looking at him with a smile, “Cuz I think I might be wee bit ….”

“Plastered?” Lois offered with a giggle.

“Intoxi-cu-lated….” Lucy said carefully as she stood up, “Whoah!” She grabbed the edge of the rocking chair for a moment before turning back to look at them with a grin.

Clark grinned at her, “You okay?” It was clear he wasn’t the only one having balance issues at the moment.

“Just getting my bearings. Not my first rodeo.” She grinned back at him as she let out a yawn. “I am going to bed…after I take a shower…and pee. Definitely need to pee.” With that, she grabbed the glasses and the bottle of tequila and staggered toward the door.

After the screen door closed, Clark looked back at Lois, “Should we be worried about her making it to the bedroom okay?”

Lois shook her head, “Nope there’s no stairs. She’ll be fine.” She leaned in to kiss him, “So, does Superman get drunk?” He could smell the liquor on her breath as she ran her hand seductively down his chest, toying with the cotton of his shirt.

“Not usually.” He said with a grin. She grinned back at him, staggering to her feet as she pulled him with her, “Whoa,” He felt his head spin as he stood to his feet.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, leaning on his shoulder for balance as she adjusted her footing.

“I might be a little…” He searched for the right word, and she laughed.

“Clark Kent are you drunk?”

“No, I don’t get drunk.” He repeated, leaning in to kiss her, tightening his arms around her waist, “Superman doesn’t get drunk.”

Lois laughed, linking her arms around his neck for a moment before moving them to his waist to give him some support as they made their way down the porch steps to head to the spare bedroom for the night. Hopefully, there wouldn’t be too many stairs involved. “Come on, flyboy, let’s get you to bed…”

“Anything you say…” He lifted her into his arms, groaning as her limbs wrapped snuggly around him as he proceeded to make his way toward the barn. He silently cursed the meteorite that had taken away his ability to whisk her with him at super-speed wherever he wanted to go.

‘This is what it feels like to be normal.’

Finally finding his balance he carried her as fast as he could grinning as she shrieked in laughter, “Clark!”

Lucy sat down on the couch trying to make sense out of what she’d just seen and heard. Her sister was obviously more than a little tipsy as well as Clark who had drunkenly murmured loud enough through the windows for her to make out what they were saying.

“So, does Superman get drunk?” Lois had asked. Even in her intoxicated state, she could make sense out of what Lois was saying.

Why was she asking about Superman?

“Not usually…Whoa,” Clark had responded.

How would he know?

“What’s wrong?”

Lucy laughed when she realized Clark had been indeed more than a little buzzed.

“I might be a little…”

“Clark Kent are you drunk?”

Yep, she’d succeeded.

“No, I don’t get drunk Superman doesn’t get drunk.”

Why did he keep referring to Superman?

“Come on, flyboy, let’s get you to bed…”

Flyboy?

Lucy sighed, setting the rinsed glasses on the counter and putting the bottle of Tequila back in her bag. She headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed. Something was definitely going on with Superman and those two, but right now she was half drunk and in no condition to be trying to figure out just what that was.

The room was small but had the bed positioned by the window and a sitting area in the corner with a padded rocking chair, and a wooden dresser and shelf had been built into the wall for storage. After him almost falling down a few times she’d convinced him to hold onto her while they made their way up the steps to the newly renovated spare room in the hayloft. She could feel the alcohol taking its effect on her as they staggered into the room, leaning on one another.

“Nice….very…pre-tty.” She commented on the room as Clark managed to close the door behind them.

His arms wrapped around her from behind, nibbling on her ear, “Saved money on labor…thanks to super help.” He whispered, leaning her back against the door, planting his lips on hers as his hands roamed up and down her sides seductively.

“How are you feeling there, big boy?” She asked, toying with the hem of his cotton t-shirt. She could feel the warmth of his breath against the nape of her neck as her back came in contact with the wooden door.

“Warm,” He whispered with a grin on his face. “I feel warm.” He nibbled on her ear, tugging on her earlobe with his teeth.

Lois laughed, running her hands up and down his chest, “Yep, definitely drunk. We’re drunk.”

“Nuh-uh,” He shook his head. “I’ve seen drunk before. I’m not….drunk.”

Her hands ran up his chest as she outlined his lips with her tongue, tasting the remnants of the tequila on him as he stroked her cheek with his palm. She slowly broke off the kiss, leaning back as she eyed him appreciatively. It was quite entertaining to see him like this. He had a sloppy grin on his face as he let out a long breath, “I’m hot.” He began to pull his shirt off and ended up tangled in the mess of cotton. She laughed, taking pity on him as she helped him shed the garment from his limbs, tossing it to the floor. He sighed, leaning back against her, slipping his hands up the back of her shirt.

“Very,” She breathed against his lips, eying his perfectly chiseled six-pack and hardened muscular chest smooth as a baby’s bottom. She fingered his chest, brushing her hand against the velvety smooth skin as she took his glasses off, folding them in one hand as he recaptured her lips. In the back of her mind, she recalled him taking the glasses from her and placing them on the shelf next to the door.

“There is one positive point about being stuck here till my powers decide to come back.” He whispered against her lips with a sly grin.

She laughed, “What’s that?”

“I don’t have to scan every room to make sure there aren’t any cameras when I want to do….this.” He leaned in to kiss her once more, settling more of his weight against her as he leaned her against the door, caressing his lips against hers. A soft moan escaped her lips as the intensity behind the caress of his lips grew. “…or this.”

His hand moved to stroke her face as he moved his attention to her jawline, feathering light kisses along its path as she gasped out his name, “Cla…” She smiled against him, “You scan every room….every time?” Her hand wrapped around his shoulders, feeling the hardened muscles beneath his velvety smooth skin.

“Mostly.” He brushed his lips against hers, “I didn’t last night. I was….distracted.” She laughed when he pressed his weight against her more firmly, “Are you still mad at me?” He breathed in her ear.

She shook her head, “I was mad about how you brought me here.”

“I know.” He breathed, shaking his head, “I shouldn’t have…”

“But…after talking with your mom and Lucy ….I think it was the right call.” He looked at her with a smile.

She nodded, “I just wish you hadn’t tried to force me.”

“I’m sorry.” He sighed, stroking her cheek. “I won’t ever do that…again.”

She linked her arms around his neck, smiling, “I know.” She leaned in to kiss him, and he moaned against her lips, tightening his arms around her waist. His hands slipped up the back of her shirt once more, this time his hand slipped below the clasp of her bra. She moaned against his mouth.

She felt his hand slip below the clasp of her bra and whispered, “We should stop.”

“Why?”

She laughed, leaning closer to him, “You’re drunk.”

“So are you.” He whispered, huskily, stroking her cheek. “You’re beautiful you know that…”

“Smooth talker,” She observed, fingering the tip of his nose with her forefinger, “Neither of us is in any condition to….” His mouth found its way to her throat, creating a heated trail downward as she struggled to string her thoughts together. “Cla…”

“You feel good.” He whispered, holding her close.

“So do you.” She sighed, running her hands through his dark locks.

“I love you,” He whispered, stroking her jawline.

“I love you too, but right now… you need to get some rest…” She whispered, “…and sleep it off.”

“I don’t want to rest.” He argued, stroking her cheek as he leaned in to press his lips against hers, tracing the outline of her lips with the tip of his tongue, teasing the part of her lips with the hint of liquor that lingered on his breath. She moaned against him, allowing him to pull her into his arms. “This is so much better than resting…”

“Clark..” She gasped as he moved his attention to her right ear, tugging on the lobe with his lips.

“We need to stop…” She whispered as he began pulling her shirt out of her jeans. “You’re drunk.”

“…and so are you.” He whispered, slipping his hand up her shirt, brushing his palm against her navel.

“I don’t want to take advantage of you…wouldn’t be…” She sighed against him as his hand moved up her shirt once more.

“Maybe I want to be taken advantage of.” He whispered huskily, “Besides I’m not...that drunk.” To prove his point, he pressed his hips against hers, brushing his lips against the nape of her neck.

She felt the clasp to her bra come undone and sighed heavily as he slipped his hands beneath the fabric. “You’re drunk.” She repeated, more of a statement rather than an accusation.

He nodded, “Uh-uh,”

“Is that a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’?” She laughed. He removed his hands from under her shirt, slipping them to the waistband of her jeans.

“If I am ….drunk…I’m not that…drunk.” He breathed huskily. He unfastened her jeans.

“Isn’t there a rule about taking advantage of someone if they’re…Oh, Clark…” She sighed against him when he slipped his hand beneath her shirt once more. “…not in their right mind.”

She could feel his breath against her neck as his fingertips moved in a magical motion upward. “I am in my …very right mind…” He reassured her. “I’m not doing anything I hadn’t thought about doing before…I just don’t have my…. inhibitions to stop me.”

“Sounds a bit like those pheromones…” Lois recalled lazily.

“You were verrry lucky I wasn’t affected by that spray.” He whispered huskily.

“What would you have done?” She breathed curious as to what his answer would be.

“Not hidden in the other room while you were sleeping the effects from that spray off.” He pressed his solid form against hers, and she let out a soft moan.

“You said you weren’t attracted to me.” She recalled his argument the day they were arguing about him not being affected by the pheromones.

“I lied.” His voice cracked slightly as he leaned forward.

“I know.” She sighed against him.

“I love you.” He whispered softly, “I tried to hide it for…a….long time.”

“I think we were both hiding.” She said, stroking his cheek

“Maybe we should stop ….hiding I mean.” He grinned back at her, “I like this.” He leaned in to trace the contours of her lips with his tongue, running his other hand up and down her side as he teased the soft skin of her navel, tracing the waistband of her jeans with his thumb as he spoke.

“I thought we …were.” She ran her hands up the back of his neck, fingering his hairline.

“We are, but I don’t say what I really want to…” He breathed against her neck, nibbling on the sensitive flesh.

“Which is what?”

He leaned into her, stroking her cheek as he whispered, “That I love you Lois Lane and I want …everything with you.”

“Everything?” She repeated, curious.

“Everything.” He nodded, nibbling on her ear. “I want to marry you…” She felt tears begin to form in the corners of her eyes as he spoke. “have kids….” He whispered against the nape of her neck with a sigh, “build a home together” He stroked her jawline, glaring back at her with an intensity she’d never seen before. The passion and love she felt reflected back from him hit her like a wave as he spoke, “and grow old… together.”

“Oh, Clark…” She breathed softly, unsure of what to say.

“I want to die when I’m 110 years old in your arms. I want a lifetime with you, Lois…” He trailed off softly, “…but I’m so afraid of scaring you off…I don’t say it.”

“Why would that scare me?” She asked, tracing his jawline as she spoke.

“Because you scare easily in relationships,” He whispered. “You bury yourself in your work and get angry and mad to try and hide…because you’ve been hurt and you ….don’t want to be…hurt again.”

“That’s very observant…for being three sheets to the wind.” She noted, fingering the back of his head as she spoke.

“I’m a very observant guy,” He whispered, brushing feather light kisses against her jaw as his hand moved below the waistband of her jeans.

She let out a shuddered breath, feeling his breath against her neck, “Yes, oh, yes, you are,” She sighed happily.

“Do you want me to stop?” He whispered in her ear.

“Oh, God, no…” She whispered, pulling him to her. His lips came crashing down on hers as they lost themselves in one another’s arms, intent on forgetting the troubles that still loomed in the air back at home In Metropolis.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube