Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
More pursuit. More private thoughts. More hidden rivalries and desires. Can any normal person stand it?

shocked

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
Nigel is a smart guy, able to think things through. As time goes on and no one spots Lois and Clark, he's going to start sorting through the other limited possibilities of where they might be headed. I think Lois and Clark should take turns driving. Sleeping in motels each night is wasting time. Two twelve hour days of straight driving nearly gets them to Denver; they could certainly make it in three days. But 1-70 goes through Kansas; perhaps a detour to Smallville is in order to throw people off the scent. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Groobie, your point about Nigel being smart is well taken. But driving straight through to Denver? I've made trips like that, and I can tell you from experience that the lack of sleep and the monotony of the road catches up to you really quick. It's a lot faster, but it's also a lot more dangerous. They can't afford a wreck due to fatigue.

But your thought about throwing their pursuers off the scent is quite valid. I would say that I wish I'd thought of it myself, but I already did. I think you'll like the little twist and the results.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Huh. Joanne Clark. And it’s an older shot of me with my hair cut shorter and pulled back so you really can’t tell the color. The color field says brunette, though. Did you know about this one?”

Nice! thumbsup Not many people remember that Lois' middle name is Joanne. Just like they don't remember she had a cat (the furball's name escapes me at the moment.)

Ben scowled at her for another long moment, then shook his head. “Fine. Just don’t tell anyone where you got them, okay?”

She smiled impishly. “My lips are sealed, my friend.”

Ben, if I were you I would leave town.

Four years and nine months ago she was in his private hospital, nursing two broken fingers, a bruised spleen, a dislocated elbow, a wrenched back that had her horizontal for a week and in a brace for nearly two more months, and possessed of the sure and certain knowledge that she’d married one of the worst mass murderers in American history.

The very fact that Lois is willing to testify against this monster shows she has true grit.

But driving straight through to Denver? I've made trips like that, and I can tell you from experience that the lack of sleep and the monotony of the road catches up to you really quick. It's a lot faster, but it's also a lot more dangerous. They can't afford a wreck due to fatigue.

Sorry Terry have to disagree with you here ...a little anyway.

Back when I was in my twenties, driving from New York City to Bonita Springs, Florida was something my cousin and I did on a regular basis. One would drive for two hours while the other napped in the backseat. We only stopped for gas and bathroom. Ah, those were the days!

Would I do that now in my fifties? Not on your life! rotflol

Last edited by Morgana; 04/15/17 04:47 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
Kerth
I actually enjoy long road trips all alone in the car. Blast Broadway cast albums and sing along - the time just flies by! But Lois and Clark can take it slower, so long as they get to know each other better along the way. wink

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Terry:
Great story. I've gulped it to here in one bite. Your driving is
spot on as we've done that. Oh, the chemistry!!!
Keep on moving on.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Morgana wrote:

Back when I was in my twenties, driving from New York City to Bonita Springs, Florida was something my cousin and I did on a regular basis. One would drive for two hours while the other napped in the backseat. We only stopped for gas and bathroom. Ah, those were the days!

I do understand about the need for speed and the strategy to drive straight through to Denver. Problem is, if they did that, this would be a totally different story. Ah, the sacrifices our characters must make for the sake of the drama!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard