Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 17
A/N: Sorry for the long hiatus on this one. I just had to finish GFTP before I finished this one.

Since it's been awhile:

Previously on Epiphany

Henderson placed the silver device on Mayson’s desk, “What is that?” She asked.

“Something one of the scientists rigged up at S.T.A.R. Labs. It knocks out listening devices within a five-mile radius.” He explained.

Mayson cocked an eyebrow at him in disbelief, “Don’t you think that’s getting a little too ‘conspiracy theory?’ I mean I know Lex Luthor has his hand in a lot of pies, but…”

“How much of that case file did you read before it got buried?” He asked.

“Enough.” She shrugged.

“What about the part where he placed video and audio surveillance equipment in both the apartments and workplace of two well-known reporters to keep track of their investigation into him. I’ve had to remove devices at least three times in the last month.”

Mayson looked around the room warily, tugging her suit jacket closed nervously, “That’s …sick.”

“Imagine someone watching your every move…in the privacy of your own home. That’s what this man is capable of. I wouldn’t put it past him to do the same to others.” He pressed.

“How do we stop him?” Mayson asked, narrowing her eyes at him. “I’ve got bits and pieces but nothing near what I need to put him away for good.”

“I thought I had him…Well, we thought we did.” He sighed.

“We?” She asked quizzically.

“I was working with Lois Lane and Clark Kent of the Daily Planet to bring him down. Kent’s file on Luthor and his theories was almost as big as mine.” Henderson explained.

“You have a file?” She asked.

“Several.” He grinned back at her. “You show me yours I’ll show you mine.”

“As you girls know I’ve always been big on testing the boundaries of medicine.” Sam began cautiously. He glanced over at the stoic superhero who was watching him with a stern look on his face. It unnerved him to see the normally cheerful and friendly superhero he’d met before so …distant.

Lucy nodded, “That’s the understatement of the century.”

“Well, I was approached to do some research by LexLabs right before ….” He looked down at his hands, unable to continue.

“Right before Allie was murdered?” Ellen supplied for him in an even tone.

“Yes,” He let out a long breath.

“Who approached you?” Superman asked.

“Lex Luthor himself.” Sam said evenly, “I was flattered he’d taken the time to speak with me. Thought it made me someone important.”

Lois and Lucy exchanged a look but didn’t say anything. “What did he want?” Superman asked, pacing in front of him.

“You.” He said coolly.

“Pardon?” Superman asked, not understanding.

“Your powers, your strength…He wanted me to make an army of Super-men. Didn’t tell me how or why. That’s how it all got started.”

“Yes, I’m familiar with the robotic arms,” Superman said, rubbing his chin to illustrate his memory of the fight he’d gotten into with one of the super-powered boxers.

“Well, what I didn’t tell anyone was there were plans to go further,” Sam said shamefully.

“What do you mean by further?” Lois asked, trying to get him to elaborate.

“The robotic chip I’ve been working on?” He prompted.

“You said it was supposed to strengthen dead nerves for paralytic patients,” Lucy said, accusingly.

“It did. It does.” He said firmly.

“But?” Superman prompted.

“But it also gives super-strength to the muscles and the nerves.” He said shamefully.

“Has it been tested?” Lois asked.

“Not on humans, but the tests we ran on the rats came back with flying colors. I’m afraid that’s what he’s after.” He began cautiously. “If he gets his hands on that chip…”

“He’ll have an army of super-powered criminals at his disposal.” Superman finished for him.

Now Part 17:

“Did Clark say what this was about?” Jonathan asked, setting a pitcher of iced tea on the dining table as Martha set the table.

She shook her head, “Just that something had happened and he needed our help.” She pointed to the fresh baked cookies on the counter, “Hand me that tray,”

Jonathan reached over and handed her the long platter of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and grinned, “My favorite.”

“Clark’s too.” She let out a long sigh, “Something’s wrong. I could hear it in his tone.”

Bill Henderson set a small diskette on Mayson’s desk before leaning back in his chair, “Lex Luthor has been running crime in Metropolis like his own private chess game for years. I haven’t been able to build enough of a case against him until now…”

Mayson sighed as she pointed out, “Until it fell apart.”

“It doesn’t make sense. I had him. I had him right where I wanted him, and he just slipped out of my grasp at the last moment,” He fumed, shaking his head.

Mayson pulled out her own diskette, pushing it toward Bill Henderson, “I’ve been following Mr. Luthor since the double murder of his parents…convenient that the murder happened just as Lex was old enough to take over LuthorCorp at the age of seventeen, don’t you think?” Bill took the diskette she handed him, and she continued, “Lex Luthor’s criminal organization is bigger than the Falcone and Maroni family crime in Gotham and more powerful than the international crime organization, Intergang.”

Henderson’s eyebrows rose, “If he’s that much of a threat then why hasn’t anyone done anything about it until now?”

Mayson leaned back in her chair, turning her chair from side to side as she looked at him with an amused expression, “You of all people should know the answer to that one.”

“His connections?” Henderson guessed.

Mayson nodded, “Rumor in the DA’s office is there was a quick change of power at the Metropolis P.D.”

“You could say that,” Henderson sighed, “There are a lot of changes that came through all at once.” He let out a gruff snort, “There are leaks in the department…leaks that are connected to Luthor. Innocent people are being hurt, and I don’t know how to stop him by myself.”

“Then I guess you came to the right place.” Mayson tapped her hand on her desk, “If you have a leak in the department then you have a problem…”

“Can you help me?” Henderson asked cautiously.

Outside Ellen Lane’s prestigious town home Lois stood outside, watching as Clark, still donning his Superman suit paced the backyard. The idea he’d proposed was so ludicrous she wasn’t sure she’d heard him right. “I am NOT going into hiding!”

He let out a frustrated sigh, “We don’t have a choice!”

“Yes, we do. You can help me figure out how Lex was able to stop those charges from being brought against him and how he was able to railroad Jimmy in such a short amount of time…”

“That is not going to happen.”

“Excuse me?” She scoffed, “You wanted me to hide my father on your parents’ farm….” She hissed in a hushed whisper. “…which I managed to convince him of…”

Clark folded his arms over his chest, nodding. “I don’t know what else to do. You heard Henderson. The Metropolis P.D. has been compromised. Nigel is already on his tail.”

“Fine! But that doesn’t mean that I have to…” Lois argued.

“No? Every time we turn around he’s planting more and more cameras and surveillance equipment. Who knows if we’ve gotten them all. He’s got connections in the police department. It’s not safe for you to be here in Metropolis.”

“I am not going to just run for cover and hide. He is coming after my family!” She fumed angrily.

“Don’t you think I know that?” He asked in a hushed whisper, “I am just trying to do what I can to keep everyone safe…including you.”

“You cannot just hide me away every time there is a threat, Cl…” She caught herself and recovered quickly, “Su-Superman. If that were the case, then none of our investigations would ever get solved.”

“There are no more investigations, Lois. This is serious! The Planet just got blown to smithereens. You and I are out of jobs…”

“Don’t you think I know that?” She hissed angrily. “I was there!” He grew quiet, and she continued, “Please don’t make me disappear.” She said, trying to reflect a calm she didn’t feel at the moment.

“The last time…”

“He sent a professional killer after my father.” She said coldly. “I won’t panic. Just please don’t try to hide me away.” She said, placing a hand on his arms that were crossed over his chest.

“Lois, please don’t make my job any harder than it has to be.” He pleaded with her, glancing down at her hands then meeting her gaze, “You and I both know what he’s capable of.” He moved to cup her cheek, “I’m just trying to keep you safe.”

“How do you expect to stop him if …”

“I don’t know,” He sighed, “I just know that you…staying here in Metropolis is dangerous right now.” He whispered, leaning in to give her a peck on the forehead.

“This is my home.”

“I know,” He sighed, “but if you don’t do this…”

“I can handle myself.” She argued flatly.

“What about your sister? Or your mom? Or Jimmy? Lois, he’s not just coming after you and me anymore. He’s coming after everyone.” At the mention of everyone, Lex could possibly come after she felt herself waver more and more. She hated the idea of going into hiding, but she wanted to keep her family safe. He looked around the quiet street, then back at her,“No one is safe here, Lois,”

“You don’t know that.” She argued.

“No, I don’t, but I’m not willing to take the risk of something happening to you,” He said, taking a step toward her. “Lois…” He placed a hand on her arm, rubbing it up and down, “Your dad needs protection I can’t offer ….and do my job as Superman right now.”

“I know that,” She said shakily, “He knows that. We all know that.” She grew thoughtful for a moment then let out a dry laugh, “My parents first meeting your parents….on the lamb? Oy that won’t be awkward at all.” She huffed, running a hand through her hair.

“Come on; you know mom and dad will help. They’re not going to mind how they meet them.” He pointed out.

Lois sighed giving him a tight smile, “…but my mother will.”

He gave her an amused smile before continuing in a solemn tone, “I don’t know what else to do, Lois. If they stay in Metropolis much longer…” Clark let out a long sigh. “It’s for everyone’s safety.”

“I’m not running.” She repeated.

“How about a flight?” He offered, scooping her into his arms.

“Don’t you dare!” She warned as he took off into the sky.

Lex sat in front of his wall of monitors, staring intently at the screens as Nigel updated him on the latest news, “It seems Dr. Lane has turned. He was caught trying to negotiate a deal with the ADA of Oakland. I questioned him with Fuentes, but he was lying through this teeth. Fuentes was put on him, but we lost him at Oakland International when he was boarding his flight. Rather than cause a scene our man updated me on the progress and has arranged transportation back to Metropolis.”

“What about the Robotic Arm chip?” Lex asked, spinning in his chair. “Did we ever find it?”

“No,” Nigel shook his head. “Our surveillance at Ms. Lane’s showed no sign of him.”

“He has more than one daughter,” Lex reminded him. “Keep tailing him.”

“Didn’t the other Ms. Lane end up in custody?” Nigel asked confused.

“There was a…complication with that,” Lex said in disgust. “Seems our arrangement was interrupted by a Bill Henderson.”

“Ah, yes, the one behind the investigation on you,” Nigel nodded, recalling the name.

“And the most recent Detective at Metropolis P.D. “ Lex mused with a smile as he took a puff from his cigar.

“Yes, the demotion went though this morning. Detective Henderson will find his career circling the drain pool the more he tries to pursue this case against you.”

“Excellent,” Lex said, tapping his hand against the desk, “When do you think it’ll be safe to move above ground? I enjoy this game of cat and mouse but spending my time with the dead isn’t the best for my complexion.”

Nigel laughed, “What about your not wanting to be a humanitarian?”

“We all have a part we must play,” Lex took another puff of his cigar, “Besides I can’t give my investigation into Superman the proper attention from down here. Any sign of weakness on my part will give Falcone and his thugs an invitation to move in…”

“…Or Intergang.” Nigel interjected.

Lex scoffed, “Child’s play. An international criminal organization run out of a department store? At least I have the brains to not use the same company in the same place twice.”

“Our international contacts are still unable to push them out though.” Nigel pointed out.

“Our international contacts have gone soft then.” Lex sighed, “I can’t afford to be viewed as weak. Make it happen.”

“Very well,” Nigel sighed, “Ms. Taylor is taking care of the last witness. Then you should be safe to return. Just be sure to keep your head clear this time. You can’t afford a distraction like Lois Lane again.”

“Oh, believe me, I have my own plans for Ms. Lane, and I am anything but distracted,” Lex promised.

The sound of the sonic boom, echoing in the skies resonated around the old country farmhouse could be heard in the distance. Martha looked back and forth between her guests, “Well, I don’t know about you, but coffee sure does sound great….”

Sam Lane nodded, looking between Lucy Lane and the Kents, casting a wary look toward Ellen who was refusing to speak to anyone at the moment. Lucy looked around the farmhouse then back at the Kents, “I thought Superman said he was going to bring Lois and Clark too…”

Jonathan interjected eagerly, “I’m sure he’s on his way. Come on; they won’t be too long.” He gestured to the table, “Uh, Martha just made a batch of her famous chocolate chip cookies if anyone’s interested?”

“Chocolate is good.” Lucy nodded with a smile. She took a seat at the table. Sam and Ellen remained standing, staring one another down in an uncomfortable silence.

The back door opened and they all turned to see Clark in the doorway in jeans and a t-shirt, with a very irritated Lois Lane, “Uh, hi,”

Lois cast an annoyed look at Clark before pasting on a smile, “Hi,” She said, taking a seat next to Lucy.

“Where’s Superman? Isn’t he going to come in?” Lucy asked in concern.

“Uh, he, uh, had to fly…” Clark said hurriedly, “He said he’d be back to check in later.”

“I still don’t understand why we have to go on the lamb in the first place.” Ellen snorted, looking accusingly at Sam Lane. “How is it that after fifteen years of being divorced and you’re still finding ways to mess with my life?”

“Mom…” Lucy gave her a warning tone, “don’t start.” Jonathan took a seat across from her and Lois, handing her a cup of coffee which she took graciously.

Ellen snorted, “Of course, take his side…like always.” Lucy hung her head, and Lois squeezed her shoulder for support.

“Are those chocolate chip?” Lois asked, trying to steer the conversation back to something neutral as Clark took a seat next to her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. She gave him an irritated glare then turned her attention back to the Kents. Martha gave Jonathan an amused look before smiling.

“Yes!” Martha handed her the plate of cookies, “Uh, Sam? Ellen?”

Sam smiled, deciding to take the offered treat. He took a seat at the table as Ellen begrudgingly took a seat at the other end. “Oh, boy…” Clark muttered under his breath as they fell into an uncomfortable silence.

“It was him. I know it was him, Lucius,” Bruce said angrily, “That cocky son of a…” Lucius Fox cleared his throat, giving Bruce a warning glare, “Sorry.”

“Mr. Wayne, you knew what you were getting yourself into when you took this on.” Lucius reminded him.

“He was coming after Wayne Enterprises, so I wanted to come after him.” Bruce shook his head in disgust, “All those people….”

“I saw the news,” Lucius said grimly, looking around his abandoned office.

Bruce wagged his fist in the air, “I underestimated him. He blew the place to smithereens. I’ve got my people working on pushing the online edition out but ….”

“…but it’s still not the same.” Lucius nodded, “You can’t bring a knife to a gun fight, Mr. Wayne.”

“I’m starting to see that. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like all of a sudden the whole city has this ….darkness over it….a sickness like I’ve never seen before. Corruption on every level. Cops, prosecutors, detectives, lawyers, and who knows what else…”

“Like Gotham?” Lucius asked with an amused expression.

Bruce shook his head, “No, this is different. Gotham has always been dark…sick. This darkness that fell over Metropolis…it’s different.” He let out a long sigh, “I might be out of my depth here…or Bruce Wayne is rather. Falcone and his thugs…child’s play compared to what’s going on in Metropolis right now.”

“What do you want to do about it?” Lucius asked.

Bruce let out a long sigh, “Play hard ball,” He noted with a smile. “I’ve finished up the last of those signatures you needed. Lex Luthor isn’t going to go easily or quietly. The only way to fight someone like that is to meet every punch he throws with one of my own. Have we set up an office for Wayne Enterprises in Metropolis yet?”

“Just closed the deal an hour ago.” Lucius explained, “Sir, you just got back. Are you sure you want to take this on? Metropolis has it’s own vigilante…”

“No, they have an idealistic superhero that stands for a symbol of hope. If I’m going to fight Luthor, I might have to become that vigilante to stop him.”

“You’ll need help.” Lucius pointed out.

“I have you.” Bruce pointed out.

“As acting CEO of Wayne Enterprises I can’t go on a sabbatical while you go toe to toe with the world’s most notorious crime boss, can I?” Lucius pointed out.

“You have a point, Lucius,” Bruce sighed, “I really hate it when you do that.”

“I’m guessing you’ll need to pack light?” Lucius asked, standing up from his desk to walk toward the bookcase behind him. He hit the hidden button on the top shelf, and a hidden doorway opened up. Bruce followed him down the narrow staircase to a secluded hallway that lead them to a small elevator. “Going down.”

He pressed the button to the elevator and stepped on with Bruce right by him. “I have a new project I’ve been working on…”

“R&D?” Bruce asked.

“Applied Science Division.” Lucius corrected.

“Ah,” They arrived in the basement of Wayne Enterprises where the bat-themed inventions of Lucius’ had found a home. “Love what you’ve done with the place.”

Lucius pulled out a remote from his pocket and hit a green button. A cabinet opened up emitting an ultraviolet light from it, revealing a tall black armored suit. “Hardened-kevlar plates on a titanium-dipped fiber tri-weave for flexibility….”

Bruce touched the armband on the suit, examining the additions Lucius had made to it, “Hopefully Batman won’t have to make any appearances while I’m in Metropolis…”

“Well, you’ll be in good company,” Lucius smiled back at him, pointing at the gauntlet Bruce was toying with, “You’ll be lighter, faster, more agile…”

Bruce flinched as the armband expanded and several blades fired in a spiral motion, heading toward Lucius’ ear, narrowly missing him by a few inches as they wedged themselves into a nearby wall. “Ooops.” Bruce apologized with a smile.

Lucius looked at him with a long sigh, “Perhaps you should read the instructions first?”

“Sorry.” Bruce smiled, “Nice feature.”

“Now, the lighter weight and more agility given to you in this new suit comes with a trade-off I’m afraid.” Lucius continued.

“Meaning?” Bruce asked concerned.

“Just don’t’ get into any dog fights and you should be okay.” Lucius explained, “The spread of the plates gives you weak spots.”

Bruce sighed with an amused smile, “Well, we wouldn't want things getting too easy, would we?”

"He's quiet," Martha said, looking out the window toward the barn where Clark and Jonathan had disappeared to. Sam and Ellen had gone into town with Lucy to get some supplies for dinner, leaving Lois and Martha alone in the dining room. "He’s hardly said anything since he got here."

Lois followed her gaze toward the front door, "Probably got a lot on his mind.” She said bitterly.

“You both do," Martha said, placing a hand over Lois'.

Lois nodded, "I've never seen him like this before. It was horrible and awful, and I’m so thankful there were no fatalities but...He had no right to…"

Martha shook her head and interrupted gently, "One thing you have to learn about Clark is no matter how many people he saves or how much he does he will always feel like it isn't enough. I don’t approve of his methods, but I do know he’s just trying to keep you safe."

"When we were trapped in that elevator ... I've never seen him so scared." Lois murmured.

"He probably realized what was happening and was afraid he wasn't going to be able to get out of there in time," Martha suggested. "The important thing is you're all right, both of you. The Planet is just a building. It can be replaced but the people ... That's what makes the Daily Planet so unique. You'll rebuild."

"I hope so," Lois said growing thoughtful, “Thank you for helping hide my parents. I don’t know what I’d do if….”

“It’s no problem. They’re welcome to say as long as they need.” Martha interjected. “When are you heading back to Metropolis?”

Lois shrugged, “That’s an excellent question.”

Jonathan set a tree trunk up for Clark to chop and watched in amazement as splinters flew through the air as Clark's fist came in contact with the wood. The expression on his son's face was one he hadn't seen in a long time, rage. At super-speed Clark disappeared in a blue and gray blur, chopping the tree limbs into usable firewood and stripping the bark off the branches into a pile of chopped wood chips for making mulch.

"It was him. I know it was him." Clark fumed as he came to a stop, clenching his fists angrily as he stared at the piles of firewood that was now neatly stacked on the shelves which had been bare a few seconds ago.

"Clark, you can't do this to yourself," Jonathan tried to reason with him. "Giving into your anger like this is only going to give him more power. You need to calm down."

Clark unballed his fists, releasing the tension that had been there a moment ago as he tried to force the anger that was pulsing through his veins out. "I know," He shook his head in disgust. "I want to wring his neck but I CAN'T."

"You can't stoop to his level, Clark, it's wrong," Jonathan reminded him calmly.

"Just once I wish I could just lose my temper and not have to worry about it turning into a nuclear disaster," Clark said bitterly, shaking his fist in the air. Jonathan placed a tentative hand on his shoulder, and he sighed, "When we were trapped in that elevator...Dad, I've never been so scared in my life. I have never flown that fast while carrying someone...EVER. I was so afraid I was going to..."

"She's fine," Jonathan reminded him.

"Two hundred and fifteen people lost their jobs today. Seventy-six of those people are in the hospital from their injuries...including Jimmy and Bruce Wayne who I found pulling the print guys out one by one from the basement." Clark shook his head in disgust. "Do you think Luthor cares? To him, it's just a game. He doesn't care who he has to hurt or kill in the process. All he cares about is winning."

"Don't let him," Jonathan said, squeezing his shoulder gently. "Obviously he sees the Planet and everyone that works there as a threat. Don't let him get the best of you."

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked, "The evidence we did have against him is gone, and all the witnesses have disappeared. Now, he’s FRAMING Jimmy for something he did, and there’s nothing I can do about it!"

"Find more," Jonathan encouraged. "I highly doubt the witnesses you found are the only ones that know Lex Luthor's illegal dealings. Go to the Feds if you have to. Prove it’s a frame-up. The funny thing about lies is they always come out in the end."

"I guess.” Clark sighed, “It took us MONTHS to get this close," He shook his head in disgust. “Lois is probably still angry at me for dragging her out here, but I didn’t know what else to do.”

"You two will figure it out," Jonathan reassured him. “….together.”

“How?” He scoffed, “Luthor has got an insane hold on Metropolis right now, and no one even knows where he’s hiding. I’m scared to death to bring Lois back to Metropolis for fear that he’d try something…”

“You can’t let your fear dictate your life, Clark,” Jonathan reasoned, “Now, Lois is a smart woman. She knows how to take care of herself…”

“That’s what she said.” He snorted.

“Might want to listen to her,” Jonathan added with a sigh, “You can’t hide her here forever, and you can’t go against Lex Luthor alone.”

“I want to talk to your supervisor!” Constance snapped angrily at the officer that was manning the front desk at the Metropolis P.D. The officer snorted, not batting an eye, continuing to read the newspaper in front of him. “Are you listening to me? You cannot hold someone without charging them like this and…”

“Seventy-two hours.” He snapped irritably.

“What?” She asked, not sure what he was referring to.

“We can hold him for seventy-two hours without charging him….unless we lose the paperwork. Then it could be longer. Who knows? Detectives are questioning him. You’ll have your turn, councilor…as long as you’re good and sit over in that corner and don’t make a peep.” He pointed to the corner where she and Perry White had been sitting.

Constance glanced at his nameplate on his uniform, “Officer Reeve did you just threaten to obstruct justice to an officer of the court?”

“Of course not.” He scoffed, “I’m insulted that you’d insinuate such a thing. I’m just stating a fact. Accidents happen.”

“So, Lex Luthor had you working on super-powered robotics chip?” Jonathan asked in amazement.

“Yeah, I had no idea what it was for….not until recently anyway,” Sam explained with a sigh.

Martha sighed, “That man is the king of manipulation…”

“Yep,” Clark added bitterly, staring down at his glass of water, “Don’t like the result of a buyout then just blow the building up with everyone inside.”

“Then frame it on an innocent man,” Lucy added solemnly.

Ellen sighed, “I never thought the system could be so broken…”

“We’ll get him out,” Clark reassured Lucy. Lois nodded, giving her sister a supportive half-hug with her arm around her shoulders.

“Perry said they still hadn’t been able to get Constance in there to help him,” Lois said softly.

“Those scum bags should lose their badge and be thrown into a prison cell along with Lex Luthor and his cronies.” Lucy spat angrily.

“Every witness against him has had some type of attack from him in one way or another. Henderson said there are crooked cops in the Metropolis P.D.” Clark explained, casting a wary look toward Sam Lane.

“Well, you all are welcome to stay here as long as you need to.” Martha chimed in. “Anything we can do to help.”

“I appreciate that Martha, but I don’t want to impose…” Ellen began to argue.

“Nonsense!” Martha cut her off. “Your life is in danger.”

“We don’t know that for sure…” Lucy began to argue.

“No, we don’t.” Clark said softly, “but for now this is the safest place for everyone…until we can find out how to help Jimmy and stop Luthor.”

“Hah!” Lois snorted, giving him an irritated look.

“Somehow I doubt that,” Lucy said, ignoring her sister’s outburst.

“It’s not going to take a giant leap in thinking for him to figure out we’re here; especially with both of you missing from Metropolis,” Sam added.

Lois wore a smug expression as Clark sighed, “It’s too dangerous for Lois to be in Metropolis right now.” That was apparently the final straw as Lois shot up from the table and stalked out of the farmhouse, slamming the door behind her.

“You want me to go talk to her?” Lucy offered.

Clark sighed, “No,” He got up to follow Lois out the door, leaving the Lanes and Kents at the table.

“So, Lois mentioned you were an artist?” Lucy said to Martha, looking for a way to break the awkward silence that fell between the five of them.

Johnny Taylor looked around the empty visitor’s room warily as the door behind him sealed shut. “Hello? Anyone there?”

“Right here, Johnny,” Toni said, stepping out of the shadows.

“Toni!” He cheered, “Ya scared me. What are you doing here doll face? I thought you were…”

“I had a pardon,” Toni said with a smile. “Friends in high places and all of that.” She said, stepping toward him. “Thought I’d come visit my favorite little brother.”

He snorted, “Cut the crap, Toni! What’s this about?”

“A business arrangement.” She said simply.

“Lois…” Clark raced to keep up with Lois as she stalked her way toward the pond behind the barn. “Would you slow down? I can’t use super-speed with your parents right inside!” She continued to ignore him, racing past the pond and fields until she finally stopped at the gate leading to Wayne Irig’s property. “Lois…”

“I want to go home now!” She said in-between gritted teeth, turning to face him as she wagged her finger in his face, “You being Superman does not give you the right to…”

“I know. I’m sorry.” He apologized, noting the glistening tears that were forming in her eyes, “I was just trying to keep you safe.” He said, moving his hands to her shoulders to help calm her down.

She jerked herself out of his embrace, throwing him an accusing glare, “Clark, you cannot make decisions for me about how I should life my life.” She fumed angrily, pointing toward the farmhouse. “That awkward silence and hostile stares? Did you see that? That’s what Lucy and I have been dealing with all day…and all of our lives! I told you I didn’t want to come here.” One by one tears fell down her cheeks. He took a step toward her, and she pulled away angrily once more as she fumed at him, “Why did you do this??” She cried, balling her fist in the air angrily.

“I didn’t have a choice! Luthor has got men all over Metropolis. I cannot do my job as Superman and protect you at the same time.” He explained his logic which seemed a poor excuse as he watched the tears fall down her face as she looked away from him, refusing to look at him as he spoke.

“Then trust me to protect myself.” She snapped bitterly. Her tone was short and angry. She still wouldn’t look at him, “I’ve been doing this a lot longer than you have. I have managed to get myself out of jams well before Superman showed up on the scene…”

“That is different, and you know it, Lois.” He said, moving so he was in her line of sight. She huffed, turning her head to look away once more, “This isn’t some petty crime ring you snuck into undercover. This is a career criminal that has you in his cross hairs. I’m not going to let him hurt you again.” He argued defiantly, crossing his arms over his chest.

“So, what every time someone threatens my life you’re just going to whisk me off? I don’t get a say in the matter?” Lois scoffed throwing him an accusing glare. She was angry. He knew she would be. At least she was looking at him now.

“I didn’t say that.” He said, taking a step towards her. She turned to look away once more, and he sighed, hanging his head.

“No, actions speak louder than words!” She said, gesturing to the field in front of them as she turned to face him, jabbing her finger in his chest.

She was right. He knew it. He had forced her to come to Smallville with him out of fear. He was hoping to get through to her why this was the best course of action at the moment. They’d been trapped in that elevator with no way out and the explosion from above and beneath them consuming the elevator shaft around them. If he hadn’t of…“I’m sorry.” He said softly, “but…”

“No, buts.” She cut him off. “You don’t get to decide how much of a risk I’m allowed to take.” She said, placing a hand on her chest as she spoke tearfully, “You don’t get to just whisk me off to the middle of nowhere when you think I’m in over my head.” She said, illustrating her point as she flailed her arms around her, glaring at him angrily before snapping at him, “You don’t get to LIVE my life for me!” She fumed angrily as she clenched and unclenched her fist letting out a frustrated cry, “God, I cannot believe you did this!”

“I am trying to protect you.” He argued, trying to reason with her as he took a step toward her once more.

She glared back at him accusingly. “By making me a prisoner?”

“No! Of course not!” He said, aghast at the thought.

“Really? Because right now I have no way of leaving besides Superman Express…No way of doing anything…” Her words hit home as realization of what he’d done out of fear for her safety began to hit him.

“I’m sorry.” His face fell as she emphasized her point with a single jab in the chest before turning away. He sighed, following her over toward the end of the fence where Wayne had begun to repair some damage from the storm last week. “You’re right. I shouldn’t have forced you to come out here.” He said flatly.

“Then why did you?” She snapped shakily, turning to face him accusingly, folding her arms over her chest.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged, “I was scared.” He snorted, “Terrified.” He leaned back against the fence, staring at the mud and grass, kicking it lightly as he spoke, “I almost didn’t get us out of there in time.”

“What?” She shot her head around to look at him.

“At the Planet. When we were in the elevator. I almost didn’t get us out of there in time. The flames had already engulfed the elevator shaft and the gasoline was covering the cord. If I’d moved one millisecond slower…”

She bit her lower lip for a moment, putting her anger aside as she closed the distance between them, cupping his cheek, “But you did. You got us out along with the rest of the Daily Planet staff that was trapped in the printing press …”

“It could have easily been worse.” He said softly, covering her hands with his own as he wrapped them around her wrists, gently caressing them as he spoke, “Today was my nightmare. Not being able to protect you…” He hung his head, willing himself to continue.

“You can’t control everything around you, and you can’t be everywhere at once.” She reminded him.

“It’s different when it’s someone you love.” He reminded her, cupping her cheek as he spoke, “I’m sorry I brought you out here like this. I just didn’t know what else to do.”

“Does this mean you’re going to take me home?” She asked, gazing up at him through her tearstained eyelashes.

He sighed, cupping her cheek as he encircled his other arm around her waist, “Yes,” He said softly, “I’m still worried about Luthor, but you’re right. We can’t hide.”

She let out a long breath, resting her head against his chest as he tucked it snugly beneath his chin, “Dang straight, I’m right.” She swiped at the tears that had escaped during her outburst, “I get why you did it, but you cannot ever do this again. No matter what. We are supposed to be a team. Partners.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” He apologized, “I get so used to trying to protect everyone around me as Superman…I forget.”

“Don’t let it happen again.” She said, sighing against his chest. He held her close, resting his hands on her back, reveling in the feeling of her in his arms.

His fears still remained in the back of his mind, “Lois, I can’t protect you in Metropolis…not how I need to.” He let out a long sigh, “I have no idea how to fight him, Lois.”

“I’m not running away from this.” She moved her hand to rest on his chest.

“I know, I’m sorry I tried to make you.” He said softly, running his fingers through her hair, “Lois, if I ever lost you…” his voice cracked slightly, “I’d be losing myself. I love you…I…”

“I am right here.” She reassured him as she ran her hands up his chest, resting them on his broad shoulders, “Can we please go home now?”

“Okay,” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her, sealing his lips over hers as his right hand moved to stroke her cheek.

Her anger at him from earlier and his fears of the what-ifs slowly began to disappear as he concentrated on the feeling of her in his arms. She giggled against his lips, leaning against him as he staggered backward, leaning against the old wooden fence.

“I’m right here…” She repeated against his lips, running her hands up and down his chest as she leaned against him. The weight of them both against the wooden fence caused it to give away, and they fell to the ground. He turned to make sure he took most of the fall, cushioning her fall as they fell to the ground together. He felt a sharp pain in his back and grimaced.

“Sorry.” She giggled, leaning up to kiss him. He groaned, feeling the pain run down his spine once more. “What’s wrong?”

He rolled over, pulling her with him as he staggered to his feet, “Clark!” She pointed to a large scrape on his forearm. “You’re bleeding…”

He grimaced, looking around the field for any sign of Kryptonite, the only substance he knew that could injure him. “Let’s get out of…”

“Oh, my God!” She gasped, pointing to a glowing green rock from beneath the fence post that had become unearthed when he’d fallen on the fence with Lois.

“Let’s get out of…” He couldn’t finish his sentence, feeling the effect of the Kryptonite on him more and more the longer he stayed in the vicinity.

“What about…?” She didn’t finish. He fell to the ground in pain, unable to voice his thoughts in anything more than a muffled groan. “Clark!!”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube