It was several months before the asteroid would arrive. Kal-El had been the one to inform Lex about it, not wanting to alarm the world and not wanting the world to know that Kal-El was observing anything in regards to Earth. Although Lex had at one point seemed to dance along the line between honor and corruption, Kal-El had grown to trust that Lex would act in favor of his people. Much of that trust came from Lois’s own trust of the man.

The question regarding how to tell the world leaders that the asteroid was coming remained unanswered. Their fear of Kal-El might prevent them from acting in a way that would safeguard the planet, so Lex planned to have his best scientists work with Kal-El in order to lay out a plan of attack – when to try, what gear would be needed, flight plans for approaching, impact points for destructing, or anchor points and strategy for shoving out of the way, although the orbits would need to be calculated to ensure that it didn’t return on an impact path towards any of the solar system’s heavenly bodies.

Until that time, Kal-El would live in the bunker – the same one that had housed the resistance -it was a much cleaner and scientifically outfitted place -and Kal-El could hardly believe it was the same place that he’d spent so many despairing days.

He was glad to see Lois, but she was afraid of him, and thus, he wanted to give her the space she needed, but she too had taken up residence in the bunker, just like before.

“Kal-El,” Lex approached him, as he stood lost in thought. “Welcome to Earth...” His tone was ironic – the last time, the Kryptonians had been marauding invaders.

“I bid you greetings, Lex Luthor,” Kal-El said, relying on formality as a way to cover his nervousness.

“You look like the Clarks,” Lex laughed. “It’s incredible. “

Kal-El gave a small smile.

“I do not wish to remind people of Kryptonians. So if this helps, I am happy to dress this way.”

“It helps,” Lois said. “Thank you for that consideration.”

“It required no effort at all to conform to your wishes,” Kal-El told her soberly.

“Your people showed themselves to be arrogant and ‘above us’,” she argued. “That you aren’t proudly displaying your heritage and crest says that you are not that sort of person. It speaks well of you. You used to be the leader of your people.”

“You are most welcome,” he finally said, giving her the response she was seeking.

“Are you hungry, or are you interested in meeting with the team of scientists you'll be working with?”

“I am ready to meet with the scientists. Thank you.”

20 gazes remained fixed on him as he moved into the room.

The scientists had all been warned that Kal-El would be here – but seeing him walk through the door had the effect of raising heart and respiration rates. Fear would be inevitable until they learned to trust him. The women especially struggled to be calm. The ones chosen for this were at the top of their fields - but they also were picked from a set that excluded rape-victims from the invasion. Nonetheless, everyone knew about the sexual abuse perpetuated by the Kryptonians. By Kal-El’s clone.

“As you all know,” Lex took over the introductions, “This is Kal-El of Krypton, and he’s here to help us with the asteroid.” Lex had briefed his people a short time ago, not wanting panic to arise before the only chance of stopping the asteroid arrived. “Let me introduce you - “

“Not Lord Kal-El,” one scientist boldly asked, a middle-aged woman with an icy-grey gaze.

“No. I abdicated after we left. I could not lead my people after failing them so spectacularly.”

“Seems they failed you too.”

“They did. However, the original failure is mine. I failed to anticipate mutiny after I refused to consider settling my people on Earth.”

“Who did you leave in charge?”

“Zara and Ching.”

“Ching was a member of the warrior class.”

“Things are changing,” he said. “What happened helped wake us up to the idea that having right of ascension based solely on bloodline is a dangerous practice. “

“Interesting.”

“But not why we are here,” Lex put in. “Of course it will take you time and questions to get comfortable with our guest, but he is here to help.”

“And we can stop him if need be,” Another scientist spoke. “We have emitters all over the place, Kal-El, so we are prepared for treachery.”

Kal-El’s face darkened in regret that it was necessary. Lois watched him carefully and was gratified to see only regret and not anger at how he was being treated.

“I am relieved you have done so. I want to work with you to stop the asteroid, and I am not a threat to you. If the emitters remove fear, and allow us to work together in truth, then we have the highest chance of success.”

“Fear leads to the dark side,” Lois muttered, causing many in the room to nod approvingly at her.

Kal-El looked at her in confusion.

“I’m quoting an old earth philosopher,” she quipped.

“Dagoban, surely,” Lex answered.

“Fictional extra-terrestrial wisdom is still earth origin.”

“Kal-El, have you been apprised of the situation?”

Lex exhaled a breath he’d been holding as the questions began to flow, and Kal-El agreeably began to interact with the scientists. He was pleased that Martha had been the one to ask the first questions. She was the counterpart to the mother of both Clark Kents, but Kal-El had never encountered her – and she had never met the two Clarks. He’d included her in this not only due to her sharp mind and advanced degrees in the needed subjects, he also wanted to make use of the alleged soul-connections that wells seemed to believe existed.

The day passed with reasonable ease – all things considered. People were wary, and women suspicious, but Kal-El himself acted the way the two Clarks had around the humans in this world... they hadn’t taken any offense at others’ fears, and they had given people the space they all needed.

The scientists grew tired, and thus – it was agreed that they would meet again in 8 hours – the scientists were sworn to secrecy, but they would leave here and go home, while Lex, Kal-El and Lois would remain.

“Martha,” Lex asked. “I’m curious about your thoughts on our guest,” Lex had requested a private meeting with the scientist.

“He seems to want to help,” she said briskly. “And he’s the one thing standing between us and destruction, ironically enough. I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but as it does, I have to say that he’s easier to work with than I had expected. His lack of arrogance is surprising.”

Lex wished he could tell her about the Clarks, but she would think he was crazy, and knowledge of the multiverse was best kept quiet. He also never wanted the Kryptonians to think that their Kal-El was a fake, brought forth from another world – who knows what they would do in that case? Would they come back to attack Earth?

“I trust that his intentions are honorable,” Lex answered. “But I agree, it’s difficult working with a Kryptonian.”

“I guess easier for me. I was never targeted by the slavers,” she laughed. “Too old to work, and... not interesting to them as a sex slave.”

A harsh indrawn breath stopped her sarcasm as she realized that Lois had just entered the room, having also been asked to join in this discusison. “Sorry Lois, didn’t see you there,” Martha said in her typical laconic way.

“My fault for not announcing myself,” Lois said. “Years of living in hiding... I move quietly.”

“How are you doing with kal-El being here?”

“I don’t believe that he’s a threat,” she answered. “I guess it’ll be difficult, but I prefer this to the asteroid hitting us.”

__

“How was it for you,” Lex asked Kal-El later.

“Difficult, but better than I had expected.”

Last edited by L; 04/06/17 04:06 PM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence