Fanfic Challenge #8: SLV Plot Un-Twist

Being More Discreet
Because, You Know, Secret Identities are Supposed to be Secret
by MrsMxyzptlk

Lois and Clark listened as the newscaster on the newsroom television announced that there were military buildups on both sides of the border between Latislan and Podansk. Lois turned to Clark. "Well," she said, "It looks like we'll have to reschedule our weekend away."

"No, we'll still go," he replied. "You go on ahead, and I'll meet you there after Superman has a little chat with those guys and get them to keep their truce."

"Are you sure?"

Clark smiled at her and said, "Yeah. It shouldn't take long." With an exaggerated leer, he gave her a once-over. "It would be a shame to waste the hotel reservation."

Lois laughed. "Go. Don't be long." Clark turned and started to walk away, but Lois grabbed his arm, and he turned back to her. In a low voice, she said, "Make sure you arrive as... yourself. Like in a taxi or something. I'll make sure you can pick up the room key at the front desk."

"It would be faster if I just flew straight to the room," he murmured.

"Yeah, it would be," she conceded, "but we've been a bit indiscreet lately. Some woman was eying us yesterday when I was 'interviewing' Superman. We need to be more careful in public."

Clark gave her a thoughtful look. "You may have a point," he said. "Ok, I'll arrive in a totally mundane fashion."

"Great," Lois said as she gave him a smile. She made a shooing motion at him and said, "Go. Spread peace and whatnot. I'll see you soon."

Clark left the newsroom. Superman talked the leaders of Podansk and Latislan off the edge of war. Clark arrived in a taxi at Chateau Roberge and had a wonderful weekend with his wife. Superman mediated talks between the two countries without incident. And regardless of how carefully and how long Samantha stalked Lois Lane-Kent, she never found any more evidence to point to any indiscretions between her and Superman.

----------------
Comments

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)