Ghost From the Past
Folc4evernaday
Part 28

Outside the Daily Planet near Marge’s Café Clark paid for a coffee, waiting in silence as he watched Bill Henderson quietly sip his coffee and find a seat in the corner of the café. He watched the older man intently uncertain what this could be about. His mind was racing as he tried to read Bill Henderson’s mannerisms, looking for a tell that would let him know

After a few minutes, Henderson looked up, pulling a small tape out of his jacket. “I’ve had Lex Luthor under surveillance since yesterday afternoon.” He folded his hands on the table, meeting Clark’s gaze with a knowing look. “I think you know what’s on this tape.”

Clark hung his head, heaving a sigh of recognition as he buried his head in his hands, “How much was on the tape?” His confrontation with Lex Luthor. That’s what this was about.

“I stopped it before you grabbed him.” Henderson said with a sigh, “but you and your caveman tactics are gonna end up compromising my investigation.”

“Thank you,” Clark said softly, “I shouldn’t have done that. I know.” He was ashamed of his behavior. He had let his anger get the best of him last night. He still hadn’t succeeded in sending a message to Luthor. The man had tried to goad him into killing him.

“What happened?” Henderson asked, looking at him in concern. “What did he do?”

“Nothing I can prove.” He sighed. “Lois told me what happened with Wilder after her undercover assignment at the Metro Club and ….I lost it.”

Henderson sighed, “We’ve been trying to bring him down for years, Clark. I want him to pay just as much as you and Lois do but I can’t do that if you keep barging in and mucking up my investigations. You cannot lay a hand on Lex Luthor ever again. Are we clear?”

“Yeah,” Clark sighed.

“Now from your expression earlier am I to assume you haven’t told Lois about your midnight escapade?” Henderson edged cautiously.

Clark shook his head, “No, I had a lot on my mind this morning….”

“Yeah, I saw the Special Edition. Tell Lois I said congrats. Looks like a Pulitzer to me.” Henderson smiled, standing up as he handed Clark the tape. “I’m giving this to you to do whatever you need to do with it, but speaking as a man that’s been married for thirty years let me give you some advice. Tell her what happened before she finds out some other way.”

“I will.” Clark sighed, “Thank you.” With that he left, leaving Clark alone with his small cup of coffee to contemplate Bill Henderson’s words.

In the corner, out of Clark’s peripheral view, Lois sat with a copy of the Daily Planet held up to cover herself as she listened in on Clark and Henderson’s conversation. Henderson walked past her giving her a wink before leaving. She sighed in relief that he hadn’t given away her cover. She waited a few minutes for Clark to leave but he wasn’t budging. He took a sip of his coffee then looked directly at her.

‘Crap.'

Lex sat in his private floor at EPRAD ready to watch the fireworks as Prometheus met its final demise. He had received word that the Presidential Medal of Honor had been rescinded by President Thompson. An oversight he was sure to correct when he confronted the man today. He fisted the Special Edition paper in his hands angrily. There was a piece on the return of the local superhero they were calling Superman. His attempts as testing him had been thwarted when this ‘Superman’ never showed up to rescue the prey he’d put in danger. A plan he hadn’t thought through as thoroughly as he should have. Now that he was back he would wait for his chance and learn what he could until he was ready to strike. There was only room for one ‘golden child’ in Metropolis, and he had no intention of embracing this ….alien.

Asabi stood by his side, “Mr. Luthor, Mr. St. John has still not checked in.”

Lex frowned, tightening his fist over the ‘Special Edition’ copy of the Daily Planet that had been handed out. “Keep looking. I want to know the minute you find him.”

“Yes, Mr. Luthor,” Asabi nodded, before retreating to the hallway to continue his search.

Lex stared at the front cover of the Daily Planet and frowned, “Superman? We will see…”

“Are you sure the programming will work? He’s been out of the matrix for a few months…” President Thompson commented as he stared at the latest plan General Newcomb had left him when he arrived in Metropolis.

“Yes, Mr. President. We had five years to program the orders. Trask was very thorough. He seems to have taken on this public persona to help….” General Newcomb laughed at the last statement, “but we both know that’s a ruse.”

“Trask said he was capable of bending steel bars in his hands, shooting fire from his eyes….” Thompson listed off.

“A true asset to our cause and the most powerful assassin the world has ever seen….controlled by you.” Newcomb’s eyes narrowed as he spoke.

She’d thought she’d gotten away with it, but Henderson had found her. Then she’d thought she’d be able to sneak out of the coffee shop without Clark noticing her there when he’d turned and caught her eye before she’d had a chance to duck out of sight. It served her right for trying to hide from a man with super-hearing and super-vision. He had stood up and walked over to her table, taking a seat across from her and crossing his arms over his chest, raising an eyebrow as he prompted, “Well?”

“Well, what?” She asked, trying to go on the defensive mode. He had no right to be mad at her. He hadn’t told her about his confrontation with Lex last night. How could he not tell her?

“Did you get what you came here for?” He asked, his eyes twinkling with amusement. He knew. He’d known the entire time probably.

“I don’t know.” She huffed airily, “When were you going to tell me what happened last night with Lex?”

“When were you going to tell me you followed me and were listening in on mine and Bill’s conversation?”

“You were hiding something. That much was obvious. I was just trying to figure out what.” Lois said huffily, avoiding his gaze. Truth be told she did feel a twinge of guilt for following him, but if he had just told her, she wouldn’t have had to eavesdrop.

“Uh-huh,” He gave her a skeptical look before getting up to leave.

“Where are you going?” She asked, racing to keep up with his hurried pace.

“Back to the Planet,” He sighed, pointing to the large globe across the street.

“You’re not going to answer my question?” Lois asked in shock.

“No, not right now.” He said exasperatedly. “I think you already got the answers you were looking for. Now, if you don’t mind…” He motioned back toward the Planet, “I’d like to get back to work.”

“What about the tape?” Lois asked.

“What about it?” He snapped.

“What are you going to do with it?” She asked concerned.

“I don’t know.” He sighed.

“Clark….would you just talk to me please?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Lois,” he repeated, crossing the street to head back to the Planet. Lois sighed, following him in silence. It was clear from his body language she wasn’t going to get anything else out of him, so she did what she did not do best….she bit her tongue and decided to wait him out.

General Newcomb walked down the narrow hallway of the viewing towers at EPRAD heading toward his seat when he felt a hard weight grab him from behind, pulling him into one of the suites. He looked back, and to his dismay, it was Lex Luthor’s manservant standing behind him with a sinister look in his eyes, “Mr. Luthor would like a word with you…”

Lois and Clark found their seats in the visitor’s viewing suite at EPRAD. Guards were placed on each corner, monitoring the coming and goings of each guest in their assigned quadrant. Samuel Platt sat in his wheelchair on the back row talking with Amy and Mrs. Platt as the family said their emotional good-byes.

“I’ll see you soon, pumpkin,” Dr. Platt promised.

“You won’t let the men that did this to you hurt you again, right?” Amy pleaded with him. “I couldn’t bare it if….”

“Everything is fine.” Dr. Platt reassured her, catching Lois and Clark’s gaze from behind his family, “I’ve got a couple of superheroes looking out for me.” He motioned for them to come closer, “I know you all have already met, but I figure an official introduction is warranted considering…”

“You sound like you’re doing and feeling a lot better,” Lois commented with a smile.

“Thanks to you two,” Dr. Platt beamed, “Amy these two got me out of that apartment before it blew.”

“We met,” Amy smiled at them, “I can’t thank you enough.”

“Samuel said you saved his life,” Mrs. Platt beamed, “I don’t know what we would have done without…” She lost her voice in tears, and Dr. Platt hugged her. “I’m sorry. It’s just an emotional day.”

“We understand.” Clark said, “I’m sorry we couldn’t do more, but we’re both glad you’re doing better, Dr. Platt.”

“All passengers scheduled for lift-off please report to Gate E-L for boarding. Have your boarding passes ready….” The announcer called out over the speakers.

“That’s us.” Mrs. Platt said tearfully, leaning in to kiss Dr. Platt once more. “You stay safe and keep doing your physical therapy and stay away from that awful Metro Burger…”

Dr. Platt smiled back at her, stroking her cheek, “I’ll see you in October, Marie,” She smiled tearfully, stepping away as Dr. Platt reached out to hug Amy, “You take care of your mom, kiddo…and do what the doctors tell you.”

“I will, dad,” She grinned back at him. “Hopefully the next time you see me I’ll be walking.” Mrs. Platt began to wheel Amy with her to the exit.

“Good luck,” Lois called after them with a smile. She turned back toward Clark, taking a seat with him next to Dr. Platt.

“Did you seriously think I wouldn’t find out you conniving worm?” Lex snarled angrily as Asabi began his assault on General Newcomb in a secluded corner of EPRAD outside of the security camera’s vision.

“You can do whatever you want to me, Luthor…” Newcomb spat, “but you are through! Our business is done!”

“No, I decide when our business is done.” Lex corrected, watching as Asabi struck Newcomb repeatedly. “Our business is just beginning.”

Lois watched as the passengers lined up on the mat to begin boarding. Security teams were set up throughout, identifying each passenger and assigning a card to them, designating them to a testing quadrant team. She stood up and walked down the steps toward the viewing window to get a better view as the doors opening. Jimmy wasn’t able to come with them, but she had gotten permission to use a disposable camera so she’d brought a few dozen to get as many pictures as she could. As of right now, the Daily Planet was the only paper being granted access to inside EPRAD during the launch, and she was going to take advantage of it.

“You get the shots you need?” Clark asked from behind her.

Lois turned to see Clark standing next to her, leaning against the railing on the viewing window. “We’ll see when these get developed.” She sighed, taking a break. She’d gotten the photos she needed for now. Once the launch started, she’d continue getting some shots. “What did you do?” She asked cautiously.

“What?” He asked confused.

“Last night.” She said, staring out the window as she spoke, “What did you do?”

“Nothing.” He spoke hoarsely.

“Nothing?” She countered, “If it was ‘nothing’ Bill wouldn’t have come all the way down to the newsroom to talk to you.”

“He was just mad about his investigation. He’ll get over it. You don’t have to worry. I’m not going over to Luthor’s ever again.” Clark said hurriedly shoving his hands in his pockets as he looked away.

“Why did you go over there in the first place?” Lois asked, grabbing his arm to force him to look at her.

He turned to look at her, and she was surprised to see guilt on his face. His jaw tightened as he spoke softly, “I think you know.”

“No, I don’t. I don’t know….because you won’t talk to me.” She whispered, doing her best to fight back tears.

“You already overheard everything with Bill. What do you want from me?” He asked in exasperation. He looked back toward the viewing window then back at her.

“I want you to tell ME what happened. Not Henderson. Me.” Lois hissed angrily in a hushed whisper as she fought back tears.

“You don’t want to know what happened.” He said flatly.

“Why don’t you let me be the judge on that?” She challenged, crossing her arms over her chest.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, “Lo-is…”

“You left in the middle of the night to….what?” She pressed, “Almost get yourself arrested?”

“It wasn’t like that.” He said irritably.

“Then what was it like?”

“I was just trying to scare him….to…”

“To what?” Lois pressed.

“I wanted to hurt him.” At her worried expression, he sighed. “I came close, but I didn’t. What he did…”

“Clark, do you have any idea how dangerous he is?” She whispered fearfully, placing a protective hand over her abdomen.

He caught the gesture, and his face softened as he wrapped his hands around her wrists, pulling them up as he pulled her to him, “He had to know he hadn’t gotten away with it.”

“And did you?” She asked hoarsely.

“I don’t know. He was challenging me to do it. To hurt him. To kill him….” He hung his head in remorse as he seemed to revisit the events from last night.

“Clark…” She placed a hand on his chest in comfort.

“…but I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t…” He raised his fist in the air, tightening his jaw as he shook it. “I wanted to. Believe me, I wanted to…but I couldn’t do it.”

Lois’ face softened, linking her arms around his neck as she pulled him to her, “Because it’s not in your nature, Clark. You could never hurt someone intentionally.”

He looked down, “I hurt you.”

“That wasn’t intentional.” She whispered, looking away, “I thought we weren’t going to talk about that.”

“I’m sorry,” He apologized.

She reached up, placing her hands on both sides of his face, forcing him to look at her, “Look at me. You cannot let him win.”

“What if he already has?” He asked bitterly. “Look what he’s done…”

Sensing Clark’s train of thought to go down the long line of Lex Luthor’s various crimes she stopped his impending tirade with a kiss, sealing her lips over his, pulling him to her by the knot of his tie. Immediately she felt his arms encircle her waist, holding her to him as the world around them slowly disappeared.

He slowly broke off the kiss, cupping her cheek as he whispered, “I’m sorry.”

She smiled up at him, “Just don’t shut me out anymore?”

He nodded, resting his hands on her waist, “I promise.”

She let out a soft groan, and he looked at her in concern, “I have to go the bathroom ….again.” She handed him the bag of cameras. “Can you take over for me?” He nodded his agreement, and she disappeared down the hallway toward the restroom.

“When the thrusters are fired the countdown will begin for a bomb to go off, killing everyone aboard…” Lex explained coolly, “Prometheus will be done making room for Luthor Space Station to step in and take its place.”

“You have no idea who you’re dealing with, Luthor! Just because you’re the boss in Metropolis doesn’t mean that applies outside this city’s walls.”

“No? Who’s going to challenge me?” Lex scoffed, “You?” He laughed, “Your right our business is done….Asabi, show General Newcomb what we do to traitors.”

“Yes, Sir, Mr. Luthor,” Asabi bowed before reaching for Newcomb.

In the hallway outside the restroom, Lois spotted a man she recognized as Lex Luthor’s man servant covered in blood returning from a door marked ‘Personnel Only Restricted Access.’ The blood drained from her face as she looked around for somewhere to hide. Seeing a small corner where the Utility closet was located she ducked inside, sighing in relief when he walked past her.

“Oh, I wouldn’t get too comfortable just yet, Ms. Lane,” a familiar voice from behind her spoke. All nerves went on edge as she felt a sharp metal object pointed to her side as sharp prick hit her neck.

She opened her mouth to scream, but nothing came out. She could feel her body grow heavy as her mind screamed out, ‘Clark!!!!!’

Clark stood in the viewing tower, taking pictures as the last of the passengers made their way inside the space station that was fixing to launch. He glanced around the room. Lois still wasn’t back yet. He frowned. Hopefully, she wasn’t getting sick again. He knew she’d wanted to see the launch. He hated the thought that she might miss it.

‘Clark!!!!!’

He looked around, trying to find the source of that voice. It sounded just like Lois, but she was nowhere to be seen. It wasn’t the same. It felt like she was calling his name inside his head. How was that possible?

Concerned he decided to go look for her. He walked toward Dr. Platt who had wheeled himself up to the viewing window so he could see the launch, “Dr. Platt, I need to go check on Lois. Could you finish taking pictures?”

“Sure thing,” Dr. Platt said happily, taking the cameras from him. “Just point and shoot, right?”

“Get her loaded on the transport with the bomb. She’s been a thorn in my side for too long…”

Clark did his best not to panic as he heard Lex Luthor’s orders. He didn’t know how but Lois was calling out to him. He had to find her.

“Yeah,” Clark smiled quickly before heading toward the restroom Lois had gone to. He scanned the area and grimaced at what he found. Someone’s blood was on the carpet along with Lois’ press badge.

Panic began to rise in him, and he did his best to squash it down. ‘Think. Think. How would someone ….’ Before he could finish his thought he spotted the answer.

“Within the half-hour, everyone on this transport will be a memory.”

Clark narrowed his eyes. He needed to find Lois, but not as Clark Kent. From the sound of what Lex Luthor had just said he had plans to blow up Prometheus along with his fiancée and unborn child. This was a job for Superman.

From the viewing tower, Dr. Platt took photo after photo of the space station as the doors began to close and the announcer began doing a security check inside. “Quadrant one is clear.”

“Echo, five, nine, eight…”

Dr. Platt took another photo and stopped when he saw a familiar man in the crowd below. A familiar man with a blood stain on his shirt. Surely he couldn’t be…He saw the glint in the man’s eyes and shuddered. That was the man. The man that had tried to kill him. He took another shot.

“What’s the meaning of this, Luthor?” President Thompson snapped angrily as he ascended the inclined hallway in the restricted area of EPRAD where he’d demanded a meeting.

“Is that anyway to speak to the man responsible for your current position?” Lex asked in mock surprise.

“You bought an election. Whoop de doo.” Thompson sighed exasperatedly. “From what I hear it wouldn’t have mattered either way.”

“Oh, but you’ll never know will you?” Lex hissed as she took a step toward Thompson, “When you and your….croonies came to me you were nothing! I made you who you are today!”

“You didn’t make anything…” Thompson snapped. “The organization made me into what I am now. If I were you…” He held a finger up, pointing in Lex’s face and Lex narrowed his eyes at him.

“You be careful where you point that thing, Mr. President, lest you lose a finger in the process.” Lex snarled angrily.

“I’m done taking orders from you, Luthor.” Thompson snapped back. “The organization is cutting its ties with you. We are done bailing you out. We are done cleaning up your messes…”

“Says who?” Lex scoffed, “You need me!”

“No, that’s where you’re wrong. We don’t need you. You need us. It’s over. The company buy-offs. The federal witness information. The closing of federal investigations into you and your criminal activities. We’re done.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that,” Lex said in a sinister tone. “You forget I worked with you on that pet project of yours. How aware is the organization about that project?”

“That’s in the past,” Thompson said uneasily.

“You also forget I know about the testing of a certain meteorite you don’t want the public to know about and I know the same alien you held captive for five years is one and the same…” He slapped a copy of the Daily Planet’s front page on Thompson’s chest, “Superman.”

“You don’t know anything,” Thompson said shakily, unable to maintain the superior tone he’d had once before as he stared at the image of Superman rescuing a young girl from a burning car on the front page of the paper.

“I think I do.” Lex pressed, “and from your face, I can tell you’re not as pleased with his presence as your office tries to make it out to be.” In a hushed whisper, he egged Thompson on, “Join me. Help me rid the planet of his existence and together we can become unstoppable…”

At super-speed, Clark changed into the suit and raced through the doors of the Personnel Only hallway where he found Lex Luthor standing with President Thompson with a look of satisfaction on his face. Two doors were at the end of the hallway. Lois could be anywhere.

“Superman!” Lex turned to him with a smile, “Such a surprise….”

“Where is she??” Clark barked angrily, grabbing Lex by the throat as he hoisted him in the air, slamming him against the steel plated wall panels.

“She??” Luthor croaked.

“You know exactly who I’m talking about. What did you do to her?” Clark fumed angrily.

“Now!” Luthor barked. “Get the meteorite…”

“I don’t think so…,” Thompson said smugly as he walked toward the exit. He pulled out a small metallic device with a red glowing stone in the center and spoke into it, “Kill him.”

Something inside Clark seemed to click off as he tightened his grip around Lex Luthor’s throat, watching the color drain from his face.

<<"Alien. Destroy. Alien.">>

<<"He's a monster. I have been working with Henderson for years trying to prove it, but he is always one step ahead of me. I just wanted him to pay for what he did.">>

<<"He must die.">>

<<"It took everything in me not to pursue it. After everything that happened … I couldn't risk losing the only thing I had left of you. I've often wondered if something might have happened to him when I was unconscious. Lucy said I wasn't breathing when she found me…">>

<<"He must die.">>

<<"You could never hurt someone intentionally.”>>

<<“Because it’s not in your nature, Clark. You could never hurt someone intentionally.”>>

<<"He must die.">>

<<"You can NOT afford to lose your temper like that…">>

<<"He must die.">>

<<"You could easily lose control and slip up and then…Metropolis isn't the Outback, you know. People in the city are always looking to make a quick buck. If they find out about you, they'll put you in a laboratory, and …"

" … 'dissect me like a frog.'">>

<<"He must die.">>

“We are T-minus three minutes. All technical personnel should deplane at this time.” The announcer echoed throughout the launch station.

Dr. Platt watched from the viewing tower as the man who had attacked him made his way toward the corridor marked for Personnel Only. Frowning and sensing something wasn’t right he pulled the switch for security on his seat and waited.

Lois groggily began to come to. Her head was pounding. She winced as she tried to open her eyes. She felt a wave of nausea wash over her as she tried to sit up. Instinctually she reached for her abdomen, placing a protective hand over it as she forced herself to open her eyes. What she saw caused her to scream out in fear.

‘19.58’ a digital clock stuck to the metal paned walls with wires on all ends stared back at her. ‘Bomb. Definitely a bomb.’

“Oh, my God!” She cried, looking around the room. It looked like some sort of plane of some sort.

‘Or a space shuttle.’ Her mind reminded her of the impending launch.

“Oh, God!” she cried, looking around for a way out. The doors were all sealed. She began screaming, “Help! There’s a bomb. Someone, please!!! Get me out!!!”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube