Lois was finally feeling the fear that she’d expected to feel earlier. He was here, and she had spoken to him. He would be in the bunker soon.

She paced nervously hoping that their encounter would not trigger any flashbacks. She was waiting for him – and that rang through with so many awful memories. Waiting for Kal-El. For Lord Kal-El, although he wasn’t lord anymore. Did that help? It did – a modicum, because it spoke further of the kind of person he was. Honorable.

But she still felt an urgent and terrifying need to hide. She could turn off her comm device – he would not be able to easily find her if she turned it off … but of course who could hide from a Kryptonian. He could easily find her. Her heartbeat. Nowhere was safe.

Dark thoughts crowded her. Would he wear his uniform? Black, and the blue crest of El ?

A knock on her door. Her heart felt like it was going to explode. But Kal-El – Lord clone Kal-El had never knocked. Ever. And she wasn’t in a bedroom. She wasn’t dressed in flimsy nothing. She wasn’t his slave.

She opened the door hereelf, bracing her for the sight of the Kryptonian.

And saw Clark, or what could have easily been Clark. A human looking Kal-El. Dressed in jeans. Dressed in a T-shirt. His gaze wary as hell, this had to be Kal-El.

“Lex left these for me... he told me where to find them. He did not wish for me to approach you in Kryptonian clothes and I agree.”

She nodded, still having trouble hearing his voice.

“Ah. Thank you – for coming – for helping us.”

“I could do no less.”

“How are Zara and Ching.” She asked as she stood aside to let him in. She shut the door, forcing herself to fake ease.

His gaze softened at the question.

“Happy. I think.”

“And welcoming a new child?”

He nodded.

“I am so glad for her - I honestly didn’t think it was possible.”

Kal flushed, knowing that Lois was aware of all Zara had suffered.

“I too am happy for her. She deserves happiness.”

He resisited the urge to tell her she did too.

“What about you?”

“I – am content enough,” he said carefully. “I no longer am the leader of my people.”

“I think you will always be that,” she said. “You gave your role up in order to protect them from what you thought was an ineffectual leader.”

“I was selfish. I did not wish to be a part of a society that forgot about me so easily,” he said, letting bitterness come out. “I do not in any way blame Zara or Ching, but I cannot get past it. Maybe in time. I have trouble accepting the council of elder’s apologies.”

“I understand. I can’t ever forgive them either. They could have put a stop to things and didn’t. Regardless of customs, allowing the suffering of others to continue because of political policies is unacceptable.”

“I totally agree,” he said. “Which is why I stepped back. I cannot pledge to follow a broken system.”

“What did you end up doing then?”

“I help Zara and Ching with making policy changes. I … keep to myself as much as possible otherwise.”

“You had years of isolation.”

“I was asleep.”

“Having horrific nightmares -”

“And you were living them. My life was easy in comparison.”

“So no woman in your life,” she finally asked, not knowing why she asked.

“My clone... filled my own people with terror. The women... I cannot – I cannot.”

“A lifetime of – nothing, ahead of you?”

“A lifetime of not hurting people.”

She felt a twinge of sorrow.

“I am very sorry to hear of the asteroid. I am gratified that you called me to help.”

“Well – it wasn’t an invitation to stay -” Her voice took on a strained note and his eyes grew shadowed. She felt ridiculous guilt for hurting him.

“I will leave when this is over. I just – wanted to help.”

She nodded, dropping her gaze, unwilling to see the hurt he could not hide.

Last edited by L; 03/25/17 09:27 AM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence