Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Response to Challenge #3

Complete Vignette

Let me know what you think. This is the shortest story I've ever written :P peep

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
Ooh! I did find it odd that Jimmy didn't figure it out especially after seeing X disguised as Clark without the glasses and Superman in the same room together. Love this!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! This was different and very refreshing!

Clark gave him a weak smile, “I found something worth sticking around for.”

Jimmy nodded his understanding, realizing it wasn’t the Planet Clark was referring to. “Lois.” It had been apparent to anyone with a pulse that Clark Kent was head over heels in love with Lois Lane for a long time. Even when they’d fought and before they were partnered up you could tell from the look in his eyes that he was a man in love. Jimmy envied his friend, knowing that he’d finally found himself, someone, to love and accept him for who he was—something he craved with his unlucky in love life.

“Lois…and the Planet. Friends.” He looked back at Jimmy with a smile. “A life.”

“I guess I can understand that.”

“Can you?”

“Yeah, I guess it’d be pretty hard to be ..who you are …and keep some sort of resemblance of a normal life.”

“Jimmy, if anyone found out—you, Lois, the Chief, my parents—all of you would be in danger.”

It bothers me that Jimmy felt he was entitled to know Clark's secret. As has been mentioned/written on more than one occasion, it is a very dangerous secret to know. Sometimes the saying 'ignorance is bliss' is actually a protection and not a problem. Jimmy has to realize that Clark (and now Lois) walk on a very different path from most people and that 'the secret' is kept for their privacy.

Jimmy laughed, seeing the embarrassed look on Clark’s face, “This is gonna be kinda weird, huh? Me knowing?”

“I think it’s something we’ll get used to.” Clark looked around at the park that was dimming as the sun set over the lake.

On the other hand, it is great to see these two men interact with each other in a way that was rarely seen on the show. Oh yeah, while reading this I visualize Michael Landes, never warmed to the actor Justin Whalin. Michael's Jimmy was on a more equal footing than with Lois and Clark. When Jimmy acted as Best Man in the Wedding episode I wanted to scream. sad

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Morgana
Wow! This was different and very refreshing!

Hi Morgana! wave Thanks! Feel free to pick up any of the challenges and write away.

It bothers me that Jimmy felt he was entitled to know Clark's secret. As has been mentioned/written on more than one occasion, it is a very dangerous secret to know. Sometimes the saying 'ignorance is bliss' is actually a protection and not a problem. Jimmy has to realize that Clark (and now Lois) walk on a very different path from most people and that 'the secret' is kept for their privacy.

I'm not sure if he felt entitled to know but rather was just hurt that Clark --Someone he thought he knew and trusted--had been lying to him. Jimmy gets treated like he's insignificant. (ie: Perry using him as an errand boy till he stood up for himself) He's hurt his friend didn't trust him as much as he thought he did. He does realize the reason for the lie but is still hurt.

On the other hand, it is great to see these two men interact with each other in a way that was rarely seen on the show.

Yes, a bit of friendly bonding goes a long way. There is a whole comic series dedicated to Superman's Friend, Jimmy Olsen so I imagine they'd be able to sit down and talk rationally....maybe even joke about some things...makes for a great friendship. smile

Oh yeah, while reading this I visualize Michael Landes, never warmed to the actor Justin Whalin. Michael's Jimmy was on a more equal footing than with Lois and Clark. When Jimmy acted as Best Man in the Wedding episode I wanted to scream. sad

Really? I loved Justin. I thought he brought a bit more depth to the Jimmy Olsen character than Michael did. (errr maybe he was just written better in S2-4?) I think they both have their strengths though.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
Subscribe on YouTube
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
Ooh! I did find it odd that Jimmy didn't figure it out especially after seeing X disguised as Clark without the glasses and Superman in the same room together. Love this!

Thanks! I thought it'd be a fun challenge smile

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
Kerth
Kerth
I have a 5000 piece puzzle that hangs in my living room. It has two missing pieces. I put a background behind it when I framed it that helps the missing pieces blend in. No one ever notices when they first see the framed puzzle. But I see the missing pieces all the time - it's the first thing my eyes go to.

I think Clark's secret is like that. You don't notice the similarities between Clark and Superman because you're not looking for them. But once you know what's really there, I'm sure it's the only thing you see. You wait for others to see it too; find it incredible that they don't notice what you know.

If you were friends with Clark when you finally noticed the missing pieces, how would you react? I think it's natural to feel embarrassed, feel like you were stupid not to have noticed, but that gets expressed in a defensive tone because no one likes to feel stupid; it's easier to blame others for your own mistakes. So Jimmy's reaction in the story makes sense. It's good, though, that he is able to quickly process Clark's point of view, accepts the reasons for Clark's deception, and is able to move forward as friends.

Friendship is a different level of relationship than Lois and Clark have, though. A stronger bond can result in an even greater sense of betrayal. So stories where Lois has a worse reaction to the revelation make sense, too.

Great food for thought with this story. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Love it and so glad I finally got a moment to read this! I've always thought Jimmy would eventually either need to be told or make the connection. And he's a good, trustworthy guy, so glad wouldn't even need to be all that worried about it. Like you, I believe Perry and Jack knew too. Or at least seriously suspected.

Nice story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by groobie
I have a 5000 piece puzzle that hangs in my living room. It has two missing pieces. I put a background behind it when I framed it that helps the missing pieces blend in. No one ever notices when they first see the framed puzzle. But I see the missing pieces all the time - it's the first thing my eyes go to.

I think Clark's secret is like that. You don't notice the similarities between Clark and Superman because you're not looking for them. But once you know what's really there, I'm sure it's the only thing you see. You wait for others to see it too; find it incredible that they don't notice what you know.

If you were friends with Clark when you finally noticed the missing pieces, how would you react? I think it's natural to feel embarrassed, feel like you were stupid not to have noticed, but that gets expressed in a defensive tone because no one likes to feel stupid; it's easier to blame others for your own mistakes. So Jimmy's reaction in the story makes sense. It's good, though, that he is able to quickly process Clark's point of view, accepts the reasons for Clark's deception, and is able to move forward as friends.

Friendship is a different level of relationship than Lois and Clark have, though. A stronger bond can result in an even greater sense of betrayal. So stories where Lois has a worse reaction to the revelation make sense, too.

Great food for thought with this story. smile

Hey Groobie!

It's like the stain on the ceiling only you know is there or the spot on the jeans only visible to you because you KNOW it's there. We don't see it unless it's pointed out to us. I've had a lot of mixed reactions to this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Some think he should just be in awe and wouldn't get angry. I disagree because no matter how cool the secret is...if I had to find something like this out about my friend I'd be upset they didn't tell me first. I know a lot of people think Jimmy would be in awe that his friend is Superman, but given his history of feeling inadequate in the newspaper business and finding out someone he thought he knew had been lying to him for three years, there is going to be anger. Not as much as Lois but as you stated anger, embarrassment, and a little self-questioning. He's only human after all and he's going to have very human emotions when dealing with the revelation.

I never understood how he never asked questions or came to the realization on his own during this episode. Clark and Superman in the same room. No glasses. Hello???? The writers totally missed a plot twist in this episode.

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Love it and so glad I finally got a moment to read this! I've always thought Jimmy would eventually either need to be told or make the connection. And he's a good, trustworthy guy, so glad wouldn't even need to be all that worried about it. Like you, I believe Perry and Jack knew too. Or at least seriously suspected.

Nice story!

Hey DC! Glad you got around to reading this one. Yeah, Jimmy is a good friend and trustworthy. I think him being in on the secret would have made for some pretty entertaining Season 3 and 4.

Perry and Jack totally know. Did you see the look on Perry's face when Superman flew in his newsroom and landed her by her desk? Then his expression when Clark tried to spin his tall tales over the course of the series.

"Uh-huh"

He totally knows.

Jack. Come on, the look on his face during Fly Hard said it all.

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, definitely! I didn't see it so much as a kid watching the series as it aired, but going back as an adult, I could not believe how much those two actually knew!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard