Print Thread
#274186 03/15/17 01:10 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Hi everyone

I'm going to my first con in June. Dean will be there and I'm really excited.

However... it is Australia's biggest con. Anyone got any convention do's and don'ts?

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I'm interested in knowing too!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Having been to several, I can offer some advice.

1. Bring some snacks that you can carry with you and some bottled water. The food at conventions tends to be expensive.

2. If you're getting a photo op with Dean and want a special pose, be ready to tell him immediately. Photo ops tend to move quickly, and you won't have time to think of something on the spot.

3. If you want more time with him, consider buying an autographed photo. Those tend to be just a bit slower paced.

4. If there's anything special you want to say to him, think about it before you get there so that you don't let the opportunity pass you by.

5. If you want to actually make physical contact with him, don't be afraid to ask if it would be okay to get a handshake or maybe even a hug. Just remember to respect personal boundaries, and don't place your hands anywhere disrespectful.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Kerth
Kerth
Comfy clothes and shoes, maybe foam insoles - your feet will be swelling by the end of each day.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Are you seeing Supergirl over there? Dean was featured in last week's episode in the States and Teri Hatcher is in tonight's episode. You might comment on Dean's continuing good work on TV
if that is the case. The other suggestions were great.
Enjoy!
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What everyone else has said is spot-on... smile

The first Con in our state happened Summer of 2015--and lucky for me--was going on about 15 miles from where I live. And, even luckier still, Dean was a guest...

Having never been to a Con before, I went pretty clueless to the whole thing. But, regardless, I had a wonderful time.

A few odds and ends:

-See if there's a Question & Answer session going on at any point during the event. Dean was holding one on Sunday, but not the day before, Saturday. That gave me the basis of exactly when--date and time of day--I was going to attend.

-If there is a Q&A, get there early so you have a good seat. They openned doors for that specific 'area' about a half hour prior, if I remember right.

Dean's Q&A was about 45 minutes--a well-known radio personality interviewed him. It was awesome!

Kinda in the same vain with timing...

-Pay pretty close attention to when the Autographs and the Photo Ops are going on.

For the Con around here, on Sunday when I attended, there was an Autograph session that lasted probably 45 minutes. Then there was the Q&A a bit afterwards. Then maybe an hour later, there was another Autograph session. The afternoon finished with the Photo Op. I went into the Con knowing I wanted to (potentially) do all three, and planned my day around those timeframes.

Also:

-If you are getting an Autograph, decide if you are going to buy something there, or bring something of your own. They had pictures for sale--basic shots, lots of Superman shots. But, if it was possible, I wanted an autograph on an old article about L&C that I had always loved. It was no problem--and ended up being a great talking point during my autograph timeframe...

Have fun--you'll have a 'Super' time smile...
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 03/20/17 09:50 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Thanks everyone, these are really great!

Only a general schedule for the con has been released so far, but I know he's supposed to be doing at least one Q&A and has signing sessions on all three days (woohoo!). The con is about 600 miles away, so a friend and I are flying down for the whole weekend.

Question- as it's a three-day con, do you think it'll be less crowded on the Friday if we try for autographs then?

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Depends on the guests, NK. The last con I went to was a two day (Sat and Sun) event, with just fan stuff happening on Friday night. But Stan Lee was a guest at that con (I didn't meet him) on Saturday only so the place was packed, and so were pretty much all of the autograph lines. Sunday was a lot less crowded since most people left when Stan did - which is why I got to spend a good 20 mins talking to Dean about Warcraft that day.

I second the notion to plan out your days in advance. Get to Q&A sessions early to get a good spot. Recording devices and cameras are typically welcomed at them too!

To avoid long lines, try to get on line BEFORE the celebs arrive - in my case, I got on line about an hour before Dean arrived and I was about the 4th person to meet him and get my autograph and photo.

Definitely plan out what you want to say and have signed in advance. Me, I went for one of the photos at Dean's table, as I had nothing super cool to have him sign. (But I have brought stuff in the past, like a toy chainsaw for Bruce Campbell to sign - it's an Evil Dead thing.)

Plan out any special pose you may want if you do a professional photo op. The photos come out great, but it's definitely a "blink and it's over" experience. I didn't plan anything and I kind of regret that, but I did get to rib Dean about his choice to play for the Alliance on Warcraft then.

Bring snacks or plan to eat at the venue. Going outside of the venue is risky - could take forever to get back, hard to get a cab, impossible to get a parking space, etc.

If you are staying at the hotel, at least here in the US, most local takeout places won't mind delivering to the hotel. That's what we did for dinner at my last convention anyway. SO much easier and cheaper than eating out/at the hotel restaurant.

Bring a variety of payments - cash, credit, etc. Most vendors can do credit nowadays, but you never know.

I always like to circle the dealer room once or twice before buying anything. You may just find things at other tables for cheaper!

Don't be afraid to ask Dean for a hug (respectfully, of course). He's an awesome hugger!

Extra batteries and memory cards for your camera are a must! I must have taken several hundred pics at my last one. Especially during Q&A time, they really pile up fast!

Have fun! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree--the crowd size will totally depend on what guest is doing what each day. Saturday was definitely the bigger day at our Con, too. More guests--more things going on. BUT Dean's Q&A was Sunday, so I ended up making my decision based on that.

My autograph session happened in the morning--before the Q&A. I decided to try for the morning option b/c I figured that would give me the option to go to the afternoon session if it turned out to be really crowded.

I got in line for the autographs mid-session, but thankfully, because it was Sunday, there were only 6 or 7 people ahead of me. I was one of his last autographs.

Definitely agree--it is a lot less rushed during autographs vs. the photo op. I really didn't have a plan (for what to say) at either--and honestly I was a bit star-struck help --but Dean was great at making conversation. And I didn't even think to ask for a hug, but thankfully he instigated both times.

You'll make some great memories smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard