It was finally time to leave. He spoke to the world over airwaves – apologizing and making promises.

“We will never return,” he told everyone, “And your world is protected if we do. I will abdicate to Zara after we depart – you can hopefully find some comfort in knowing that I am no longer a leader of my people. My failure to see danger caused this invasion to happen. Zara has proven herself to be a far better leader than I ever was, and she will not be so easily fooled.”

After the broadcast was ended, he looked over at the world leaders.

“Do I have your permission to leave,” he asked them, and they formally granted it. He felt empty – it was over – this vast effort and fixing what was broken, and what faced him seemed so bleak. At the same time, he was relieved to be leaving a world where he was feared. Nevertheless, He … would miss Lois. Her strength had definitely drawn his interest her way. He could not imagine ever being bonded to anyone because of his feelings – but he could never imagine being with her either. Not after her ordeal at his clone’s hands. He would never let her know.

She came to see him before he left – and he knew she would. He hoped she would. He knew she needed closure.

“Thank you for seeing me,” he said honestly. “I did not want to leave without bidding you farewell.”

She nodded, feeling a weird sense of losing something at the idea of his final departure. The soul-mate connection – which she hated herself for even giving credence to, made her feel a sense of despair at his leaving. She remembered all her encounters with him since they found him – and he had been kind to her – kind and solicitous. A man of honor and respect. A man she might have loved – if this hadn’t happened. She was so broken now – she couldn’t imagine loving anyone – but – still – the part of her that still remained alive after all her brutal experiences mourned the loss of ‘the one’ she was supposed to be with.

“Kal-El – I – wish you a good life. “

He handed her a long-range communication device.

“This will reach our receivers,” he said. “Even over vast spaces. It bends reality and creates a small wormhole – it will work,” he stopped.

“You can explain it to me – I’m not stupid.”

“Well – I don’t real;y understand the true science of it,” he said.

She nodded.

“Why?”

“Nightfall might come to your world and if it does, we will help. We won’t all return, but some of us will – to stop the asteroid.”

She nodded.

“I will... keep it safe.”

“I gave devices to your world leaders too. But I did not tell them of nightfall. How could I? We don’t see it now – but it could be out there none-the-less.”

She nodded. “Thank you. And … thank you for everything else.”

She reached out and gripped his hand. “I don’t blame you, anymore,” she smiled. “I forgive you for being easily fooled. You were young – and... I honestly don’t see how you could have seen this coming.”

Her words overwhelmed him, and he placed his other hand on top of hers for a brief moment.

“Your words honor me,”

-Fin

Last edited by L; 03/18/17 08:16 PM.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence