Ghost From the Past
Folc4evernaday
Part 24

NOTE: Yes, the flashbacks are back. **sigh** How else do you expect to find out what happened between Lois and Lex? All right hang on tight. It's about to be a bumpy ride.

Part 24

Clark reentered the newsroom, finding Lois in the conference room sifting through a shoebox of notes. He knocked on the door as he opened it, “What’s all this?” He asked, taking a seat next to her.

“Platt’s supposed report.” Lois sighed, running a hand through her hair as she stared at the scattered papers.

“What did Dr. Klein say?” He asked.

“The last three reports Platt wrote up were illegible so he’s working on deciphering it as best as he could. It’s just going to take time. I’m trying to make heads or tails of this ‘report’ Jimmy picked up from Platt this afternoon. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like that’s happening any time soon.”

“Here,” Clark grabbed one of the notebooks that had scribbled markings in it and lowered his glasses to scan the pages at super-speed before setting it down.

Lois looked at him with a raised eyebrow before asking, “Anything?”

He tapped his thumb on his chin for a minute, “He keeps talking about some boss in the notebooks. The boss is the drugs.”

“The boss is the drugs? That doesn’t make any sense.”

“I know,” Clark’s eyebrows furrowed as he reached for another notebook and scanned it as well, “There it is again. He’s trying to tell us something.”

“Couldn’t it be just delirium?” Lois asked.

Clark shook his head, “I doubt it. It’s the same phrase over and over again. If it were the drugs, his phrasing would be sporadic and similar but not the same every time.”

“Maybe we should pay Dr. Platt another visit. See if he can help decipher this?” Lois suggested, throwing the papers and notebooks she’d pulled out of the box back into it.

Lois and Clark approached Dr. Samuel Platt’s apartment warily, eying the sketchy crowd that stood a few feet away from Platt’s apartment building with caution. “Just keep walking,” Lois advised, taking his hand in hers as she climbed the three steps to Platt’s door and knocked, “Dr. Platt?”

No answer.

She turned the knob, and the door cracked open. She glanced back at Clark before taking a step inside. Something flickered from across the room. Lois glanced toward the corner of Dr. Platt’s office where they had been interviewing him the day before and gasped at what she saw, “Clark…”

In the corner was Dr. Platt tied to a chair with his feet sitting in a bucket of water and an electrical cord positioned to the water, slowly electrifying him. At super-speed, Clark moved toward Platt and removed him from the electrical currents. Lois watched in amazement as he broke the binds that held Platt in the chair with ease and lifted him from the chair.

A sharp click could be heard, and a disguised voice echoed throughout the room, “Bad boy…You’ve just triggered your own death.”

Before she knew what had happened, she felt something push her to the ground as the sound of an explosion echoed around her. The air filled with the smell of burnt C-12 and she instinctually reached for her abdomen, sighing in relief when she felt Clark’s hand already there. “It’s okay. I’ve got you. I’m not going to let anything happen to you.” He whispered in her ear.

She lifted her head up and gasped when she saw the remnants of what was Dr. Platt’s apartment. “Is he…?” She asked cautiously.

He shook his head, pointing to the other side of her where Platt’s unconscious pale body laid. “He’s still breathing. We’ve got to get him to a hospital.”

Lois glanced at Platt’s trembling body, “I’ll call the police.”

Five Years Ago…

Lois poured over her notes from her interview with Anthony Taylor earlier and began pinning note cards to the map she had on the bulletin board in the conference room. Pictures of suspected captains and lieutenants involved in the gun-runner scheme she’d come across. Mr. Taylor had insisted he wasn’t involved. He’d told her to talk to ‘the boss’ but who was the boss?

“What do we have here, Chéri?” Claude crooned from behind her. She flinched, pulling away from him when he took a few steps toward her.

“None of your business.” She replied coolly, grabbing her notes.

He reached for one the notebooks on the conference room table, “Are you sure there isn’t anything I can help with? Lighten the load?”

She jerked her notebook back from him, “No, thank you.”

He took another step toward her, and she grimaced as the scent of his aftershave hit her nostrils. He ran a hand down her spine, and she flinched, pulling away from him, “What do you think you’re doing???” She accused angrily.

He ignored the question, “You’re working awfully hard lately. How about you let me take you to dinner?”

“How about I don’t.” Lois snapped irritably.

“Oh, come on, you could surprise yourself and have fun,” He smiled at her.

“I don’t think so,” Lois said gathering her things. He came closer, and she grimaced again, feeling a wave of nausea wash over her. She threw her things to the floor and sprinted to the nearest wastebasket a few feet away, but not soon enough.

“You Salopè!” He fumed angrily as she emptied her stomach contents into the waste basket. “These are imported!” She took a deep breath, wincing as she spotted the splatter of liquid on Claude’s Italian loafers. “You did that on purpose.”

Her eyes narrowed at him, and she glared, “If I could control it, I’d do it on you right now…” She set the waste basket back down, taking a shaky breath. With that she grabbed her note and left, slamming the door behind her. She stopped by where Joe the janitor was coming out of the men’s bathroom with a mop bucket and whispered, “Joe, I’m really sorry. I had a…situation in the conference room.”

“Another one?” The elderly man looked at her in concern. “You sure this is just nerves, Ms. Lane?”

“I…I don’t know.” She grimaced, taking a shaky breath.

“I’ll take care of it. Don’t worry.” He said, pushing his cleaning cart to the side as he hung a new mop head on the mop. You should probably get yourself checked out.” He called over his shoulder.

“Probably.” She nodded, “Thanks.”

That was the third time in the last week. She needed to see a doctor. She knew that but seeing a doctor wasn’t high on her list of priorities. She was so close to cracking this story wide open. She knew it. If she stopped, then she’d have to deal with everything she’d been holding back for the past few months. She wasn’t ready to do that. She wasn’t ready to think about Clark right now. She wasn’t ready to think about Smallville. She just wanted to keep working.

Asabi knocked on Lex Luthor’s door, announcing his presence. Without looking up, Lex called, “Come in, Asabi,” He was pouring over reports on his desk, scribbling notes on the margins with a scowl on his face.

“It seems we have a problem, Mr. Luthor,” Asabi began cautiously.

“What is it?” Lex asked, narrowing his eyes at Asabi as he leaned back in his chair, waiting for him to continue.

Asabi laid a few surveillance photos of Lois Lane talking to Anthony Taylor, owner of the Metro Club and leader of the Metro Gang from outside the club on the desk for Lex to see. “It seems your dealings with Mr. Taylor and his gun runners in Southside have begun to come to light.”

Lex picked up the photo and frowned, “Ah, Ms. Lane,” He sighed, running a hand through his hair, “Keep her under surveillance but do nothing more. I’ll handle her myself.”

“Yes, Mr. Luthor,” Asabi nodded, stepping out of his office.

After her confrontation with Claude, Lois thought it best to get out of the office to avoid any other altercations. Her stomach was still in knots. She seemed to be more and more sensitive to smell lately. She wasn’t sure what that was all about. Her temper was shorter. Her moods were more and more drastic. She wasn’t dealing with what happened in Smallville very well. She knew that. Her stomach churned again, and she winced.

She stood in the aisle at the local drug store trying to find something to help her stomach. Looking at the signs posted over the aisles she spotted the aisle she was looking for and found the digestive health section. ‘Stomach pain. Bloating. Nausea…’ she read off the treatments on one bottle and grabbed it heading toward the checkout when she came face to face with a large poster board sign with a woman holding her stomach and three words in large black type printed above her. “Are You Pregnant?”

For a split-second, she began to contemplate the possibility before shutting it down. ‘Of course, you’re not pregnant. You’re on the pill…No, you were on the pill. You stopped taking it after what happened in Smallville…’

She glanced around the empty aisle to make sure no one was watching her before grabbing the pink box on the shelf and turning on her heel to head toward the register.

Anthony Taylor looked around as he stepped out of the Metro Club talking with one of his lieutenants. His limo pulled up, and he nodded to the driver as she opened the door for him. Must be a temp. He thought to himself as he slipped inside. He pulled out his phone to call his daughter, Toni. “We’re heading out now. Be sure Johnny is ready.”

Before he could finish his call a distinct scent filled his nostrils, and he grimaced, coughing in panic. He dropped the phone, reaching up to bang onto the glass. He tried the door handles, and they were both locked. The windows were locked as well. The gas continued to fill the limo.

“No, no, you don’t understand….”

Lucy was sitting on the couch sifting through her notes on Criminology 101 when Lois opened the door to the apartment slamming it behind her and leaning against it for support as she took a deep breath, “You’re home early,” Lucy observed cautiously.

“I feel sick,” Lois said shakily.

Lucy looked at her with concern, “Do you need to lie down?”

Tears glistened in the corner of her eyes, and she shook her head adamantly, pulling out a familiar pink box. Lucy’s eyes widened, “Lois?”

“I haven’t taken it yet,” Lois said hurriedly. “If I do then …” Her beeper went off, and she silently cursed, pulling it out of her purse. She grimaced as she looked at the screen, “I’ve got to go.”

“But Lois…” Lucy began to argue.

“Do you have class tonight?” Lois asked, looking at her pleadingly.

She did have class, but the look on her sister’s face told her she was needed more with Lois than at class. She shook her head, offering a small smile. “Do you think you could sit with me when I take this test? I don’t think I can…” Her beeper went off again, and she hung her head. “I’ve got to go.”

Before she could protest or respond, Lois had disappeared again. Lucy picked up the pink box Lois had laid on the table and sighed, reading the label on the box, ‘First Response Pregnancy Test.’

“What’s going on?” Lois asked as she stepped into the conference room where Perry and Claude, were huddled around a chalkboard with what looked like a sketch of the Metro Club’s hierarchy. “What are you doing?” She accused, recognizing some of the names as names she’d had in her notes from earlier.

“Claude got us a big one. Gun running scheme.” Perry explained, scribbling another name on the board.

“Excuse me??” Lois fumed angrily.

“Yes, well while you were powdering your nose, Chéri I was able to get some of my contacts in the police department to confirm ….”

“You lying, sack of….” Lois accused angrily, jabbing him in the chest with her pen. “How DARE you???”

“You think you’re the only one investigating the Metros? Chéri you are a lot dumber than you look…”

“Why you little…” Lois fumed angrily.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Perry interjected. “What in the blazes is going on here?”

“That’s my story!” Lois fumed, pointing at the board with the names she’d gotten from Bill Henderson last week.

“So possessive,” Claude teased, snickering to himself. Lois narrowed her eyes at him, and he stopped. “It’s not about who got the scoop first. It’s about who pushes send.” He corrected. “I was able to confirm some names and get some information from my contacts in the Bureau…”

“You son of a….” Lois accused.

“Ah, ah, ah, language,” Claude scolded.

“ENOUGH!!!!” Perry roared, whistling sharply to bring their attention back to him. He turned to Lois, “Lois, why didn’t you tell me you were investigating this?”

“I was confirming everything I got from Henderson this morning,” Lois replied, glancing at him uncomfortably.

Perry then turned to Claude, “Claude, where did you get your information on this?”

“Why does it matter?” He asked, “I’ve got the sources to back up the information. This could be huge!”

Perry sighed, glancing back at Lois, “I want you two to work together on this one.”

“WHAT???” Lois shouted, “I’m not working with that rat!”

“You don’t have a choice.” Perry countered, wagging his finger at her. “You got your sources, and he’s got his. Get me the story and….”

Brian opened the conference room door, “Chief?”

“What is it, Brian?” Perry sighed, glancing between Claude and Lois skeptically.

“This just came through on the wire.” He handed Perry a folder. Perry nodded, taking the folder from him and began to scan its contents.

His eyebrows rose, and Lois looked at him in concern, “Perry?”

“Anthony Taylor. Body was fished out of Hobb’s Bay an hour ago.” Perry said, handing her the report.

“No,” Lois breathed, flipping through the report in her hands.

“I want both of you on this,” Perry ordered. “This is too big for just one reporter to handle.”

“Perry…” Lois began to argue.

“No arguments.” Perry shot back. “Get me that story.” Another knock on the door and Perry looked up.

Brian had another note, “Chief, your wife’s on line three.”

Perry nodded, “I’ve got to get that.” He turned to Lois and Claude, “Quit fighting and start investigating.”

Claude smirked at her as Perry left, “Well, I guess we’ll finally have that dinner…”

She cringed when she saw him leering at her. Suddenly feeling dirty under his gaze she tugged her suit jacket closed, “In your dreams.”

<<"Uh, hi, Lois Lane,”

“Clark Kent,”>>

<<“Do you always have to be such a smart ass?”

“No, but I REALLY enjoy it.”>>

<<“Chicken.”

“Excuse me?? I am not….”

“Yes, you are. You are so afraid you might actually have a good time. No one’s going to make you do something you don’t want to do. Just live a little. Cut loose and have some fun. What’s the worst that could happen?”>>

Lois pulled herself back to reality, staring numbly at the four tests laid out in front of her on the bathroom counter. Pregnant. She was pregnant….with Clark’s baby.

She fought back tears. Clark. Just thinking about him made her want to break down in tears. She couldn’t afford to break down. She couldn’t afford to lose focus.

<<“Where are we going?”

“To dance…”

“You know, usually people ask one another if they want to…”

“Finally speechless…”>>

<<“Are you okay?”

“I think…they…drugged…me…”>>

<<“You know me…jumping in without looking…I guess I should have given that scoop to the school board before printing it like you said…”

“Lois, this is NOT your fault,”>>

<<“I’m not most guys,”

“No, you’re not,”>>

<<“Do you want to dance?”>>

<<“Clark, look out!”>>

<<“Lois, get down!”>>

<<“There’s men at my house. Men with guns…”>>

<<“We’ve got to destroy it, Wayne!”>>

<<“What’s happening? Clark!!”>>

<<“You’re not fine.”

“I’m here with you. I’m more than fine.”>>

<<“He was ….shot,”

“We’ll find him…I won’t rest until we find him,”>>

<<“What was that for?”

“Do I have to have a reason?”>>

<<“If I’d known I’d get that kind of reaction I’d of proposed a lot sooner…”>>

<<“Clark!!!!” >>

Lois pushed the jagged memories out of her mind. She could feel the corner of her eyes burning as she fought the tears that were threatening to overcome her. How was she supposed to do this? How was she supposed to keep moving forward without him?

Her mind told her he was gone. It had been months since Smallville and Rachel still hadn’t found any sign of Clark or the agents that had taken her and the Kents hostage. Her mind knew what the logical answer was, but her heart…

Her heart refused to give up on the idea that he was still somewhere out there.

<<“How many??”

“Three or four.”

“You’re nuts.”

“You asked.”

“Four kids? That is insane.”

“Not all at once. I figured we’d get married. Enjoy a very long honeymoon phase. Get a couple of Kerths….”

“Pulitzer.”

“…and a Pulitzer. Then start practicing.”

“I don’t think practice is something that’s required in that department.”

“That’s just part of the fun.” >>

Lois leaned her head back against the door frame, sinking to the floor in tears as she finally gave into the tears she’d been suppressing. “Oh, Clark….”

Pregnant.

She was pregnant. She was going to be somebody’s mommy. Another life was going to depend on her for everything. How? How was she supposed to do this? How was she supposed to bring a baby into the world and raise him or her without Clark? This wasn’t planned. Far from it.

She’d never imagined having children. They’d talked about it theoretically, but she was sure they would have celebrated each child’s life together. She imagined the look on his face when she told him she was pregnant. That gorgeous smile that had captured her heart would light up his face and ...

<<“I guess we should…talk…”

“…or not…”

“..or not…”>>

<<Is this a dream?”

“Not unless we’re having the same one…” >>

<<“Are you sure?”

“Make love to me, Clark Kent,”>>

<<“I’m gonna start out….slow…”>>

<<“Farmboy?”

“It’s a compliment…”

“Whatever you say….Just don’t stop…”>>

<<“I told you we were gonna be late!”

“So worth it…”>>

She closed her eyes, imagining his hands on her as he made love to her…just as they had so many times. When was it? The night he’d given her the ring? That was the last time they’d made love. He had been drained but had insisted he was fine…

<<"You’re always saving me…”

“Someone’s got to…”

“You signing up to be my personal superhero?”

“Maybe…the benefits are out of this world…”>>

<<“You’re messing with fire,”

“Maybe I want to get burned…” >>

<<"When we’re at home maybe I’ll lose the bra…”

“Promise? Whose home?”

“Is that your fantasy, Mr. Kent? Me no bra?”

“No, you on my bed in my football jersey…nothing on underneath…”

“Football jersey, huh? Maybe if you’re good, we’ll try it out sometime…”>>

<<"Just realizing how much I love you…You’re gorgeous, intelligent, sexy, and I couldn’t imagine my life without you, Lois Lane,”

“I love you too, Clark Kent, and I pray you never have to find that out,”>>

Tears fell down her cheeks as she imagined her fiancé’s hands and mouth on her body. His scent filled her nostrils as the memory of his body intertwined with hers filled her mind.

<<“Which one?”

“Which one’s easier to take off?”

“You’re not helping,”>>

<<“I wouldn’t trade a single moment, I love you so much, Lois. I …I can’t imagine my life without you in it.”

“…and I love you...I’ve never known anyone like you…I really…love you…You know that?”

“Yeah, I love you too…I….just…I don’t know. I imagine the world ….the future….I can’t imagine any of it without you there…standing with me.”

“Marry me,”

“What...Yes.”>>

<<“Tell me what you want…”

“You,”>>

<<“I wanted this to be perfect...I love you,”

“I love you too,”

“I know technically we’re already engaged, but I wanted to do this right…I’m not sure if I’m supposed to get down on one knee, but…”

“Oh, my God…Clark,...Is that for me?”

“Yes...Do you like it?”

“It’s beautiful,”

“You’re beautiful. Lois, I love you, and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you,”

“I love you, Clark Kent, I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you,”>>

<<“Nope, remember what happened last time? We’re here to work. There’ll be time for that later.”

“I hope so,”

“Clark…Focus!”

“I am…”>>

“Clark…” She breathed heavily as she rocked her body back and forth uncontrollably, allowing the quiet sobs to escape at their own accord. How was she supposed to do this? How was she supposed to raise a baby on her own? She’d yet to establish her career at the Planet. Her parents weren’t exactly the most supportive. What would she do if her child got sick? Would Perry be accommodating? Would she be able to balance work and home without subjecting her child to the same treatment her dad had put her and Lucy through?

Could she do this without Clark? Yes. Did she want to? No.

“And yet another case of arson has drawn firefighters to the Southside area here in Hobb’s Bay. That makes six in the last twenty-four hours, and still, Metropolis Fire Department officials have no leads.”

“You can’t just not tell him,” Lucy admonished watching her sister pace around the living room nervously.

“I’m going to tell him…just not yet. I’m really close to breaking this gun-runner scandal wide open. After that…” She took a deep breath, “I’ll tell Perry everything.”

“How’s the morning sickness?” Lucy asked, changing the subject. She knew there was no way to change Lois’ mind once she had made a decision.

“F-fine,” Lois said not so convincingly.

“Uh-huh,” Lucy reached for her water on the coffee table, “When was the last time you ate?”

“I haven’t been able to keep anything down,” Lois shrugged nonchalantly.

“Lois!” Lucy yelled at her with a disapproving look.

“It’s not like I haven’t tried! I just keep…” She looked down as she trailed off.

“Lois, you’re pregnant.” Lucy reminded her.

“Yeah, I was there when the two lines appeared on that test.” Lois sighed, taking a seat next to her.

“You can’t keep running down leads like you’re invincible and you definitely can’t keep doing it without eating.” Lois sighed, and Lucy continued, “Maybe try talking to daddy? See if he has any ideas that might help.”

“Dad knows nothing about obstetric practices other than what he had during his rotations as an intern. He’s a surgeon, not an OB. Besides I really don’t feel like trying to explain everything with Clark to him.”

“Have you found a doctor yet?” Lucy asked, changing the subject.

“Not yet,” Lois murmured, “I’m still trying to let everything sink in and figure out what I’m going to do when the baby gets here.”

“But you are going to keep it?” Lucy asked.

“Of course!” Lois snapped, seeming to be shocked at the question, “It’s the only thing I have left of Clark.” She whispered, stroking the diamond on her ring as she spoke. “This baby is a part of him. I could never…”

“I know. I’m just trying to figure out where your head’s at. It’s been two months since you came back from Smallville. Who knows how far along you are? You need to get in to see a doctor.”

“I have a list. I’m doing my research. Don’t worry, Luce, I’m not going to have this baby without a doctor.” Lois smiled back at her.

“I know. I just worry about you.” Lucy said, resting her head on her shoulder. “You’ve changed.”

“Well, I was kidnapped and held hostage while my fiancé – the father of my child– was being murdered. That changes you.” She said softly.

“You don’t know that…I mean, not for sure.” Lucy smiled reassuringly back at her. She knew her words were nothing but false hope at this point, but she hated seeing her sister so distraught.

“There’s no other explanation,” Lois said stroking her hair as she spoke. “If he were alive he would find me. He would find his parents. He would find someone. It’s been two months. I need to start facing the possibility…even if my heart doesn’t want to.”

“So, what are you going to do when the baby comes?” Lucy asked carefully, “I mean, I guess you could get mom to help…” Lois blanched at that thought, “Yeah, probably not the best idea. She’s only been sober for a year.”

“I need to tell them,” Lois said quietly.

“Who?”

“His parents.” Lois looked down at her and Lucy gave her a sympathetic look, “I need to tell them. I need to tell mom and dad. I need to tell Perry. I just…I don’t know how to even begin…” The tears she’d been trying valiantly to hold back escaped and began running down her cheeks. “It wasn’t supposed to be like this.”

Lucy sat up and put a supportive arm around Lois as she cried, “I know. I know. I’m here. I’m right here. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I miss him so ….so…m-much.” She cried.

“I know.” Lucy rubbed her shoulders as Lois continued to cry.

Present Day…

Clark paced the waiting room of Metropolis General with Lois, waiting to hear the status of Dr. Platt’s injuries. Someone had tried to kill him. Someone had come after Platt, but who? They’d already drugged him to the point of being the laughingstock of the scientific community. No one was taking him seriously. So why?

He glanced over at Lois who was curled up with his jacket in the corner on a few of the uncomfortable waiting room chairs. He’d offered to take her home, but she’d insisted on staying. After the explosion and getting checked out by triage she’d spent a few hours in the restroom. He wasn’t sure if it was more sickness from the pregnancy or after effects from what they’d witnessed, but he was worried about her.

Twice. Twice in one day he had given into his desire to help and put aside his own fears. The first time had been a fluke. He’d seen the man in trouble and reacted the best he knew how. He still couldn’t bring himself to bring the suit with him when he’d changed at his apartment earlier. There was that voice nagging him in the back of his mind to just ‘do it,’ but then the fears of ‘what if’ began creeping in and he’d left it at home. If he’d been wearing the suit, maybe they could have gotten Platt to the hospital sooner. Maybe he’d have been able to do more.

The minute he’d lifted Platt out of that chair and heard the clicking noise of the bomb being triggered all he could think about was getting to Lois. The fears that haunted him about being exposed to the world vanished. Platt could have seen him move at super-speed or he could have seen him use his body as a shield to protect him and Lois from the blast. He hadn’t been thinking about that, though. All he had been thinking about was protecting them and doing what he could to stop the blast. Only time would tell if Platt saw anything. He seemed like a good person. He was risking his life to save the Space Station without any superpowers to fall back on. That had to count for something, right?

The doors to the waiting room opened, and he recognized Bill Henderson walking with one of the doctors that had been treating Dr. Platt. Henderson spotted them and approached with a grim expression. “How is he?” Clark asked.

“Coma,” Henderson said grimly, glancing over at Lois’ sleeping figure, “How’s Lois?”

“Tired and sore, but nothing major,” Clark explained. Henderson chuckled, and Clark ran a hand through his hair, “Someone tried to kill him. Is there anything that can be done to make sure it doesn’t happen again?”

“I can see what I can do, but I can’t guarantee anything,” Henderson explained, “These days it’s hard to tell who you can trust.”

Clark shook his head in disgust, “We should have known. We should have protected him.”

“How?” Henderson asked, “The guy’s been in and out of institutions, attempting suicide…There’s no way anyone could have predicted…”

“That his theories were correct?” Clark prompted.

“I’ll put a protection unit outside his door, but right now that’s all I can do.” Henderson explained, “Until he can wake up and tell us who did this…”

“Excuse me?” They turned and saw a young woman with auburn hair, pushing a young girl in a wheelchair. “I’m sorry to interrupt. I’m looking for Samuel Platt.” Clark’s face flooded with anguish when he realized who was standing in front of them.

“You must be Mrs. Platt,” Henderson extended his hand to shake hers, “I’m Inspector Bill Henderson. We spoke on the phone…”

“Yes,” She nodded shakily.

Henderson seemed to sense her uneasiness as she glanced back and forth between them and back to the young girl in the wheelchair. He pointed toward the double doors, “Why don’t we talk over here?” She nodded and followed Henderson away from them and out of earshot.

The young girl stared at her mother for a moment then said sadly, “They tried to kill my dad.” She gave him a forced smile when he looked at her in surprise, “She was crying on the phone, and I overheard. She thought I couldn’t hear, but I did.”

“I’m sorry,” He knelt down, so he was eye-level with her, “You must be Amy. I’m a friend of your dad’s. Clark Kent.”

“Are you going to help protect the Messenger?” She asked.

“I’m gonna try.” He promised.

“Yes, we are,” Lois’ voice said from behind him. “Hi, Amy,”

“Who are you?” She asked, looking at her curiously.

“This is Lois Lane, my partner. She’s helping me to work on proving your dad is right.” Clark explained.

“He’s not crazy,” Amy said.

“I know.” Lois said, “We’re doing everything we can to prove that and to protect him.”

“Amy?” Mrs. Platt walked up to them, brushing tears out of her eyes, “We’re going to go see your dad now.”

“Bye,” Amy waved at them as Mrs. Platt wheeled her away calling a small thank you over her shoulder as one of the doctors escorted her back to see Dr. Platt.

“That poor girl,” Lois murmured, watching them leave.

Clark placed an arm over her shoulders, “How are you doing?”

“A little sore, but fine,” Lois said leaning her head against his shoulder. “…thanks to you,” She placed a hesitant hand on his chest, “That’s twice in one day. Are you okay?”

“Terrified,” He breathed softly, “I was so afraid I wasn’t going to get to you in time.” He held her close, placing a kiss on her hair as he spoke.

“I’m okay,” She managed to squeak out against his chest.

“This is Brett Aldridge coming to you live from the UN. Any moment now we’re expected to hear from Sarita Gupta, the Chairperson of the UN’s Scientific Advancement team.” The video footage zoomed in on a table of microphones and a young woman standing in front of it dressed in traditional Hindu sari.

“Thank you all for coming,” She began, looking around the room with a warm smile, “I am pleased to announce that we have unanimously decided that Space Station Prometheus will proceed.”

“What about Lex Luthor’s proposal?” One of the reporters asked from the crowd.

“This body would like to extend our deepest gratitude to Mr. Lex Luthor for his generous offer... but it is our firm belief that the Space Station should go forward as originally planned: a project dedicated to global cooperation for the advancement of the sciences.”

Lex Luthor stared at the screen in a rage, crushing his fist through the glass display case that held the model of ‘Space Station Luthor’ that he’d presented to the board members just hours ago. In a blind rage, he dismantled the plastic model as the blood from his hands and wrists began to drip inside.

“What about the safety of the colonists Can you assure the public that this next launch will be problem-free?” a reporter asked.

“We have suffered losses in the past, but we shall take extra precautions to ensure the safety of future space travelers. However, should, any serious problems arise from this point on, we shall be forced to cancel the mission. We don't anticipate that happening. We anticipate success.” Sarita explained. “The colonist launch, scheduled for next week, will proceed as planned.”

Lex’s facial expression changed as a new calm washed over him. Realization began to dawn on him as a plan began to form…
TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube