Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Attention Lurkers and Fellow FOLCS!

Yes, you sitting there reading through all the posts. Come join the fun! There's been a lot of discussion back and forth about not much action on the boards (See http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/273259/Comments#Post273259).

It's been awhile since we've had a who's who post so I thought it'd be fun if we reintroduced ourselves? We've had a lot of new members and it'd be great to get to know everyone new and old.

Just Copy the template below and give us a short intro:
Name:
Things You Enjoy:
What You Love Most About LnC:
Favorite Episode:

Name: Valerie
Things You Enjoy: Writing, reading, listening to music, going to the park, spending time with my kids, going to the park
What You Love Most About LnC: Everything! Ha! The chemistry between Dean and Teri was phenomenal and I enjoy the flirting and the banter and even the angst the show put us through leading up to them finally being together.
Favorite Episode(s): I"ll give you my top 5

Green Green Glow of Home
The Prankster
The Pheonix
Virtually Destroyed
Brutal Youth

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Name: Pei
Things You Enjoy: Reading, travel, cooking, photography
What You Love Most About LnC: No doubt the chemistry between Dean and Teri they just played off each other really well
Favorite Episode:
  • The Pilot
  • The Phoenix
  • Lucky Leon
  • Whine, Whine, Whine
  • Ordinary People
  • Season's Greedings
  • Soul Mates
  • Brutal Youth

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Crazy_Babe
Name: Pei
Things You Enjoy: Reading, travel, cooking, photography
What You Love Most About LnC: No doubt the chemistry between Dean and Teri they just played off each other really well
Favorite Episode:
  • The Pilot
  • The Phoenix
  • Lucky Leon
  • Whine, Whine, Whine
  • Ordinary People
  • Season's Greedings
  • Soul Mates
  • Brutal Youth

Thanks for responding Pei. Season 2 definitely pulls you in, doesn't it?

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
Subscribe on YouTube
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Name: Talia Joy
Things You Enjoy: Various things related to graphic and web design, thinking, writing my thoughts and opinions, drawing, theology and the Bible, kids
What You Love Most About LnC: Dean Cain's gorgeousness...just kidding! (I'd be lying if I said that wasn't somewhere relatively high on the list.)

Really, I think what I love most about it is probably the way it just shows Clark's humanity so much coexisting with his unimaginable power. That's always been the most fascinating and interesting thing about Superman in general to me, and this show does a lot more to show it than many versions of Superman. I also think the Lois Lane in this show is one of the best in Superman history - she just feels a lot more fleshed-out and well-rounded as a character as opposed to just being a generic headstrong woman/damsel-in-distress/love interest combo.

I also really love just how bizarre this show is, and how it somehow makes it work as well as it does! I mean, really, it's in a category all its own. A superhero show, and a rom-com, and so much more...

Really, I'm a big Superman fan in general and Lois & Clark definitely succeeds in giving me a lot of things I want that many other Superman incarnations fail to do as successfully. Especially those times when it just so effectively shows the intersection of the human and the "super" in a poignant and meaningful way. And I also just really appreciate it so much for its unique character and vision.

Favorite Episode: Believe it or not, I haven't watched the whole series; even though I started in like, 2015, I'm still not through the third season...pretty sad! It's not that I don't like it, but I didn't really warm up to it as much until Season 2; on top of that, I just personally have a thing where I consume entertainment extremely slowly even if I really like it, in part because I don't want it to be over - LOL! The other part is that I'm never really sure what to expect from the show, and sometimes I think I won't like an episode because of its premise...though a LOT of the time, the episodes that I think will turn me off from the premise turn out to be really great anyway! xD

At any rate, I'm not completely sure of all my favorite episodes, but here are a few I really love:
  • Pilot
  • Requiem for a Superhero
  • Season's Greedings
  • Metallo
  • Tempus Fugitive

Ugh...not gonna lie, thinking back on how great this show is makes me kinda hate myself for not only not watching the whole thing, but for not rewatching it thirty times over...LOL! I think the fact that there are fans around who have watched the show many times and many years ago but still find new things to do with their love should help me be less afraid of "using up" and getting tired of the show.

Anyway, this isn't a part of the questionnaire, but I do want to add a little about why I'm here to begin with. I've only been a Superman fan for a few years, but I'm honestly a bit obsessed and I love thinking in-depth about the franchise. So I'm honestly pretty desperate to meet some fans who I can talk to about it, because I don't know a lot of people I can do that with yet! The Lois & Clark fandom seems like a good place to start because I have a lot of love for that show and I feel like I'll have more common ground with its fans than other segments of Superman fans. I started reading L&C fanfic on the archive and I have to say, it's a ton of fun! I'm really excited to meet you all, and hopefully write some fanfiction myself!

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a great thread hyper...

This should be a ton of fun grin.

Name: Laura

Occupation: I stay at home with our two children, Ava and Eli. Ava is in 1st grade and Eli is in preschool (to go to Kindergarten in the fall mecry ).

I have a Bachelor's degree in 'Textiles and Clothing'. Originally my plan was to move to a 'big city' and work in fashion design, but when I decided to stay closer to home, I worked as an interior design assistant and also in fashion merchandising for a clothing store.

Things You Enjoy: Obviously L&C, but others include...

-writing (which I attribute to the show, and also, all of the talent here). I've been working on a story--since 2014 wallbash--so it's anyone's guess when it'll get finished (more to do with an unreliable muse than to length).

-reading (which, again, I attribute to all the FOLC's who have written such great stories through the years clap )

-watching rom/com movies ('The Notebook'/'Notting Hill'/'When Harry Met Sally'/'While You Were Sleeping'/etc)

-thrifting (thrift stores, garage sales, tag sales, antique stores, etc)...I LOVE to find a good deal on something really unique to wear or to use in our home

-decorating (I've been in the process of turning our bungalow from a house to a home--using, from above, all of those deals that I love to find. I really enjoy cheaply making each room in our house come together).

What You Love Most About L&C: I could write a book...

Well, first off, the relationship smile. It is what drew me into the show, what kept me glued to the show, and what keeps me still so enamoured with it after all these years. The chemistry between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, IMO, has still, to this day, never been topped.

But what touched me the most about the show, what has always made it so special to me, were these specific characters in this specific relationship. Clark was alone. He didn't know how to really 'be' himself. He had doubts. Lois was scared. She didn't trust people. She didn't think that she could open herself up to others.

Growing up, I was the type that took a long time to really be myself around other people. I needed to be really comfortable in situations to be me. I would pick and choose when I could open up. L&C came on the air when I was 13--it could not have been better timing smile. It hit me like a lightning bolt!

Here were these characters that I looked up to--who I admired--who were feeling what I was feeling. Who were second-guessing themselves. Who were unsure. Lois and Clark validated every week what I was wondering about myself. And most amazingly, they figured it all out...they figured 'life' out. They learned how to trust themselves, and how to trust someone else. They found their best friend, and they found love love.

Watching 'Lois' and 'Clark' had a huge impact on me growing up. And the fact that these amazing characters were part of a wonderful, romantic love story? Could not get any better smile !

Favorite Episodes:. Yeah...this could be quite the list help. But I'll narrow it down to a top few...

-Green, Green Glow of Home
Where Lois and Clark become friends--not because of a work partnership or a story. Love that smile

-Honeymoon in Metropolis
So many wonderful things happen here dance . They both reach a level of mutual comfort in each other, and with that, their attraction and feelings seem to seep into their reality. Lois learns that she can be herself and someone will still like her for it--that's huge for someone who hides from others.

-Barbarians at the Planet/House of Luthor
The angst--even after all of these years--still gets me notworthy. As does the fact that as Lois is going down the aisle to marry Lex, it's not him she wants at all. She doesn't want a billionaire, she doens't want her Super hero, she wants and misses her best friend. And that hug--with Lois in her wedding dress and Clark so very weak...wow. Gets me every time hyper.

-Also...
-The Prankster
-The Phoenix
-Lucky Leon
-Whine, Whine, Whine
-And the Answer Is...
-Just Say Noah
-Don't Tug on Superman's Cape
-Any ep with Tempus smile.

Talia stated:

Ugh...not gonna lie, thinking back on how great this show is makes me kinda hate myself for not only not watching the whole thing, but for not rewatching it thirty times over...LOL! I think the fact that there are fans around who have watched the show many times and many years ago but still find new things to do with their love should help me be less afraid of "using up" and getting tired of the show.

Anyway, this isn't a part of the questionnaire, but I do want to add a little about why I'm here to begin with. I've only been a Superman fan for a few years, but I'm honestly a bit obsessed and I love thinking in-depth about the franchise. So I'm honestly pretty desperate to meet some fans who I can talk to about it, because I don't know a lot of people I can do that with yet! The Lois & Clark fandom seems like a good place to start because I have a lot of love for that show and I feel like I'll have more common ground with its fans than other segments of Superman fans. I started reading L&C fanfic on the archive and I have to say, it's a ton of fun! I'm really excited to meet you all, and hopefully write some fanfiction myself!

I started watching L&C when it premiered on ABC back in 1993. I wouldn't even have a guess as to how many times I've seen a lot of these eps (especially the ones I wrote about above wink ). Honestly, IMO, the episodes get better with time. Obviously, the storyline is pretty well memorized after a watch or two, but the characters? Noticing something new that they do--a facial expression, an eye roll, body language, etc--adds so much to what is going on. Scenes get richer. More detailed. Episodes become even more interesting grin.

And I'm so glad you are here! It's a great bunch of really nice people. Feel free to start a thread--if it isn't related to fanfic, you could always post in the 'Lois & Clark', 'Superman', or 'Off Topic' folders...

The L&C Archive is a treasure of wonderful talent. You will feel like you just gained thousands of new adventures to go on with Lois and Clark (trust me smile1 ). The stories are amazing!

And it's a blast to hang out here. It's fascinating to read along as stories come together. I've really enjoyed getting to know everyone, also. It's such a great place clap...

Looking forward to seeing you around here--and maybe one day reading a story you wrote smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 03/10/17 12:19 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Welcome Talia! Thanks for introducing yourself. smile wave

Originally Posted by TaliaJoy
Student, at college learning web development!
Awesome! Talia, are you learning front-end or back-end. I majored in graphic / web design so my focus was more in the front-end. As you can tell from a lot of my posts I enjoy playing around with Photoshop A LOT. smile I just started working in a new video editing software SonyVegas that works a lot like PS which makes it even more fun.

Originally Posted by LMA
What a great thread hyper...

This should be a ton of fun grin.

Hi, Laura! Thanks for introducing yourself. Sounds like you've got a creative background too. smile

Originally Posted by LMA
-Barbarians at the Planet/House of Luthor
The angst--even after all of these years--still gets me notworthy. As does the fact that as Lois is going down the aisle to marry Lex, it's not him she wants at all. She doesn't want a billionaire, she doens't want her Super hero, she wants and misses her best friend. And that hug--with Lois in her wedding dress and Clark so very weak...wow. Gets me every time hyper.

I have a love/hate relationship with this arc. I love that Clark FINALLY admits his feelings, but I HATE that he was so cruel to her as Superman...idk it just seemed out of character to me. I still don't understand WHY Lois said 'yes' to Lex. She said she didn't KNOW if she loved him when Clark asked her. splat thud I don't understand it. I don't understand how anyone could agree to marry someone they didn't know they loved unless it was some sort of arrangement (which wasn't the case here). Okay, jumping off my soapbox now....

I guess I should finish powering through the list of fanfics to read since nominations are opening up this weekend. Oy, only got 7 stories left to read...They're just Long/Epics and Mid-Length... I also need to comment on the stories I've already read....

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi wave...

folc4evernaday posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with this arc. I love that Clark FINALLY admits his feelings, but I HATE that he was so cruel to her as Superman...idk it just seemed out of character to me. I still don't understand WHY Lois said 'yes' to Lex. She said she didn't KNOW if she loved him when Clark asked her. splat thud I don't understand it. I don't understand how anyone could agree to marry someone they didn't know they loved unless it was some sort of arrangement (which wasn't the case here). Okay, jumping off my soapbox now....

I have totally thought all of what you are saying, too thumbsup...

I guess, thinking about it now, the reason I can get past both Clark and Lois' out of whack actions in these episodes is because of how much confusion/hurt/loss they are both feeling. I think, if things would have been a little less intense (for both of them) they probably would have acted a lot differently.

Clark...yeah, I hate how cruel he is as Superman to Lois, also razz . That comment was totally uncalled for. But, Clark's in a ton of pain at the time. Telling Lois he loved her at the park, IMO, was probably the biggest risk he had ever taken (including becoming Superman). His heart had been invested in his feelings for her for almost a year, she was his best friend. He had never had that close of a relationship to anyone, let alone truely been in love. I've always really thought that he would have confessed to everything IF Lois had returned his feelings that day. Throw in the equally mean timing of Lois asking Clark to produce Superman in that conversation? Last straw--he felt like he was loosing her in every way.

Lois. Wow. She is not in a good place for most of both of these episodes. I think Lex threw her for a loop with his proposal, and have always assumed that the flattery/awkwardness of the situation kept Lois from immediately saying no. By the time Clark confesses his feelings to Lois on the bench, her life is unraveling. The Planet is gone--which really means her family/support system has shattered. I think Clark's honesty in expressing his love scared her to death--not that she hadn't felt a lot of what Clark had been feeling for months--but she'd become so great at hiding those feelings, that she immediately went into 'preservation mode' when the subject came up. I've always thought 'loosing' Superman was sorta her last straw. I don't think she honestly ever loved him, but I think she had become very accustom to having him as sorta a safety net (the 'perfect guy'). Loosing the dream of Superman--combined with now things being strange with her best friend Clark (b/c of his love), and also not having her job or her friends at her job (her 'family'), IMO, sorta 'drove' Lois to Lex.

Lex, IMHO, was a viable 'option' simply because her heart wasn't invested. She couldn't get hurt, therefore he was safe wallbash. And for Lois, by the time she says yes to Lex's proposal, all she had been feeling during these few weeks was the resulting hurt from loosing everyone that her heart had openned up to.

I don't know if any of that twisting/turning thought process makes any sense, but that is pretty much where I always go during BATP/HOL jump.

Fun talking clap ...
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 03/10/17 03:09 PM.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Laura,

I get the thought process, but for me as an independent woman ... idk. It just seemed so out of character to have Lois running to Lex when the premise of the show was she was a woman of the 90's...didn't need a man....independent. I guess it would make more sense if there was more of the whole Lois/Lex courting going on during Season 1. (I know I hate to think about it too) It would just make more sense I guess if there was a more developed relationship and a reason for her to be turning to Lex rather than trying to strike out on her own. I mean, she's Lois Lane, Star reporter from the Daily Planet. Surely she could find work anywhere she wanted, right? Just my 2 cents on the subject.

This is fun. I love getting conversations going and having a real discussion about the show. smile hyper party Feels like old times.

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Name: Vicki
Things You Enjoy: Writing, gaming, drawing (although it's been a while)
What You Love Most About LnC: Everything! We definitely had the best Lois and Clark and a great writing staff who really knew how to make Clark the real person (as opposed to Superman). We had a smart and independent Lois. The banter and sexual tension was perfect. And it was just the right mix of comedy and drama, never really taking itself too seriously.
Favorite Episode: Hmm...tough one. Top 5 work?
1. Tempus, Fugitive
2. Battleground Earth
3. Lord Of The Flys
4. Ultra Woman
5. Tempus, Anyone?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Name: Susan

Occupation: Teacher for 19 years, currently our school's International Baccalaureate program coordinator, former candidate for President of the United States. grin

Things I Enjoy: Writing smut laugh The Victorian Era blush on people's faces when I tell them that I write softcore porn. rotflol The friends I've made in this little corner of the internet (big hugs, Laura and Sue)

Ditto to Laura's list of favorite episodes and Vicki's reasons what she loves the most about L&C. I love WAFFY romance. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
Thanks for responding Pei. Season 2 definitely pulls you in, doesn't it?

Definitely forgot to add also that Teri's Lois Lane was what also drew me in I was in my early teens at the time and loved the idea of having a strong female in what was an old boys club. It's also why Lois Lane is still a favourite fictional character of mine

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Name:
Katharina
Dietitian
Things You Enjoy:
Food, I love cooking, talking about food and therefore I love my work. smile I also love reading when I have time for it. I also like learning languages and meeting my friends.
I love how they portrayed Lois and Clark. I like Lois for not just being the "damsel in distress". She is equal to Clark but at the same time she is insecure and needs him as much as he needs her. I like Clark because he is not just Superman in disguise but also a normal man.

I can relate to many things in Lois' life (not the "jumping in without checking the water-level" grin ) and I think I can understand how she had become the way she was when she and Clark met.

I think many people prefer other heroes because they see Superman as an invincible god-like alien and they might think that is boring.

For me Clark Kent is the important person not Superman because he is kind and caring and vulnerable. He suffers when he failes to save someone. In spite of the danger for himself and also I'm sure many of the things he's seen are more than horrible he keeps helping in every possible way.

Favorite Episodes:
The Prankster (I love the part when she comes to his apartment for comfort
Whine Whine Whine
The old gang of mine (although I think Clark should have told her his secret then instead of letting her think he died.)
Home is where the hurt is
Big girls don't fly

There are many others, and even the episodes I don't like have their moments.

Kathryn
C
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
C

Things You Enjoy: cooking, sports

I don't think it's just one thing, I've been a fan since it aired when I was just a kid and if I'm flipping through channels and it pops up on some obscure rerun channel, it's where is stop. I think what I liked about it has changed as I grew up and I appreciate the more intricate details of their relationship more now than when I was a kid. I think I just like shows about outcasts trying to live normal lives even though it's not really possible. (My other 2 favorite from the 90's are Buffy and The secret world of Alex Mack). I also like strong female roles that reflect a lot of my own life. There's very few female software developers out there so I live in a mans world very much like Lois. I'm very much a tomboy and have the scars to go with it.

Favorite Episode: Tempus fugitive

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
We definitely had the best Lois and Clark and a great writing staff who really knew how to make Clark the real person (as opposed to Superman). We had a smart and independent Lois. The banter and sexual tension was perfect. And it was just the right mix of comedy and drama, never really taking itself too seriously.

DC, I think you hit the nail on the head there. The chemistry between Lois and Clark as well as the new approach of making 'Clark' a real person made him more relatable. Making him more lovable as we watched in excruciating pain the almost moments and near misses as he and Lois continued to taunt us... smile

Originally Posted by groobie
Things I Enjoy: Writing smut laugh The Victorian Era blush on people's faces when I tell them that I write softcore porn. rotflol

Haha! Just ask if they want to read it?! The look on their face would probably be priceless wink rotflol

Originally Posted by Kathryn84
I love cooking, talking about food and therefore I love my work. smile I also love reading when I have time for it. I also like learning languages and meeting my friends.

You're a foodie too??? I could go on for hours about some of the Master Chef inspired recipies I've found/ come up with. laugh

Originally Posted by Kathryn84
I love how they portrayed Lois and Clark. I like Lois for not just being the "damsel in distress". She is equal to Clark but at the same time she is insecure and needs him as much as he needs her. I like Clark because he is not just Superman in disguise but also a normal man.

I can relate to many things in Lois' life (not the "jumping in without checking the water-level" grin ) and I think I can understand how she had become the way she was when she and Clark met.

I think many people prefer other heroes because they see Superman as an invincible god-like alien and they might think that is boring.

For me Clark Kent is the important person not Superman because he is kind and caring and vulnerable. He suffers when he failes to save someone. In spite of the danger for himself and also I'm sure many of the things he's seen are more than horrible he keeps helping in every possible way.

I agree, Katharina. The famous quote that to me defines the series "Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am." comes to mind. I love how they made 'Clark' the underdog when faced with rivals like Luthor but made it so that that 'underdog' was the reason Lois couldn't go through with her wedding to Lex. He was the rival Lex never expected but the one that meant the most to Lois because he was her best friend. Time and time again they drive that home throughout the series....Dr Friskin telling Lois she knows who she wants to be with. STAR telling Lois if she's willing to risk her life for work why not risk it for love...all leading up to an incredible show to watch. I still wish we'd gotten to see more of 'married' LnC or 'dating' LnC instead of this one extreme to another but that's just me I guess.

Originally Posted by chickberry
I don't think it's just one thing, I've been a fan since it aired when I was just a kid and if I'm flipping through channels and it pops up on some obscure rerun channel, it's where is stop. I think what I liked about it has changed as I grew up and I appreciate the more intricate details of their relationship more now than when I was a kid. I think I just like shows about outcasts trying to live normal lives even though it's not really possible. (My other 2 favorite from the 90's are Buffy and The secret world of Alex Mack). I also like strong female roles that reflect a lot of my own life. There's very few female software developers out there so I live in a mans world very much like Lois. I'm very much a tomboy and have the scars to go with it.

I hear ya. It's tough being a woman in the technology field because that's where you're competing with men half as qualified yet more likely to get the job/promotion/contract because for so long it's been a boy's club.

I loved Alex Mack! One of my favorite Nickelodeon shows as a kid.

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You're a foodie too??? I could go on for hours about some of the Master Chef inspired recipies I've found/ come up with. laugh

Yeah, me too. And I love to cook for friends.

Also I like baking and creating chocolate candy/truffles. drool Some coworkers already mentioned that I am creating my own customers: bringing chocolate and cake so they get overweight and then giving the advice how to lose the additional pounds. grin angel-devil

I still wish we'd gotten to see more of 'married' LnC or 'dating' LnC instead of this one extreme to another but that's just me I guess.

Many shows went down after the marriage of the two leading characters ("I dream of Jeannie" is another example even if that one's much older than me ). The fanfiction on this page for example shows us that it doesn't have to be that way. It seems to me that many series/writers didn't think in advance about the changes that can happen when their characters say "I do". I would have loved to see Lois and Clark grow further into their marriage and raise a child.

I am a fan of Superman since I have known him, although I can't remember when I saw the first film. I preferred the second, because of Lois and Clark becoming a couple - for a short time but I never understood why Clark couldn't have a relationship AND keeping his powers. grumble

I remember seeing the trailer for LnC and I remember being instantly in love with the show. I have rewatched every season several times, with the exeption of the Wedding Argh... sorry... Arc laugh (especially the third episode, I have seen that one less than 5 times I think razz ).

My other 2 favorite from the 90's are Buffy and The secret world of Alex Mack
I loved those, and Charmed too. smile1

Kathryn
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
This has been a really fun thread to read smile...

folc4evernaday posted:

Laura,

I get the thought process, but for me as an independent woman ... idk. It just seemed so out of character to have Lois running to Lex when the premise of the show was she was a woman of the 90's...didn't need a man....independent. I guess it would make more sense if there was more of the whole Lois/Lex courting going on during Season 1. (I know I hate to think about it too) It would just make more sense I guess if there was a more developed relationship and a reason for her to be turning to Lex rather than trying to strike out on her own. I mean, she's Lois Lane, Star reporter from the Daily Planet. Surely she could find work anywhere she wanted, right? Just my 2 cents on the subject.

This is fun. I love getting conversations going and having a real discussion about the show.

You bring up some really great points notworthy...

One--Lois is an 'independent woman' and 'running to Lex' contradicts that. I never really thought of it in this way. Lois spends most of the show (and all of the first season) proving this to us. Running towards Lex when things get tough is pretty out of character for her.

Two--Lex and Lois were barely an item when they got engaged. Sure, they knew each other almost all of the first season, but the dating really only started over the last few eps. The fact that she doesn't see this is pretty glaring.

I do think that, what I was saying before--the hurt/loss/confusion of those few weeks--everything painful that Lois and Clark were going through, definitely played a huge part in their reactions.

BUT--like you pointed out, their reactions were pretty out of character regardless thumbsup.

I've really enjoyed seeing these episodes in a new light. Great talking--lots of fun smile!

DC posted:

Everything! We definitely had the best Lois and Clark and a great writing staff who really knew how to make Clark the real person (as opposed to Superman). We had a smart and independent Lois. The banter and sexual tension was perfect. And it was just the right mix of comedy and drama, never really taking itself too seriously.

What an awesome description as to why I love the show. You nailed it. Great job hyper...

Susan posted:

Things I Enjoy: Writing smut laugh The Victorian Era blush on people's faces when I tell them that I write softcore porn. rotflol

notworthy clap grin rotflol You had me cackling with this smile.

The friends I've made in this little corner of the internet (big hugs, Laura and Sue)

love You are a huge part of why I've loved this fandom. Thank you for your friendship (and all the smut wink...it is out-of-this-world! )

Kathryn84 posted:

I remember seeing the trailer for LnC and I remember being instantly in love with the show. I have rewatched every season several times, with the exeption of the Wedding Argh... sorry... Arc laugh (especially the third episode, I have seen that one less than 5 times I think razz ).

Those ads for the show...wow, they were amazing! I remember being instantly drawn in, so excited for the Pilot to air.

Totally agree--the Wedding Argh....yeah wallbash. As a huge fan of the show (when the Argh was airing), I remember being so frustrated. And I remember thinking, if someone wasn't a die-hard fan, just a casual viewer, they might be gone after this dizzy. I've only seen it a few times in total. Hard to sit through grumble...

Great thread smile...
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 03/13/17 06:49 PM. Reason: Mass typos. Can't seem to type today...

Features Writer
Features Writer

Things I Enjoy: Knitting, reading, writing, my dogs

What I Love Most About L&C:The chemistry and relationships as others above have mentioned. And not just the relationship between Lois & Clark. This was the first version of Superman I saw where both Martha and Jonathan were there to support and advise Clark. I never read many of the comics, but did watch reruns of The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves when they were shown in syndication when I was a kid. As I recall, there was never any mention of Smallville or the Kents. And in the movies, Jonathan passed when Clark was in high school. The hologram of Jor-El took his place, a poor substitute for the human Jonathan IMO.

Having both parents there into his twenties made L&C unique in my mind, and from the start I saw such potential for the relationships to develop.

And unlike other brusque versions of Perry, Lane Smith played him as a real mentor to Lois, Clark and Jimmy. Those relationships also grew with the series.

Favorite Episode: The Pilot. My favorite scene in the whole series is Clark talking to Jonathan about Metropolis and his desire to have a family. That summarized the conflicts Clark had and his humanity. His poignant desires for the simple (yet complex) things of life--a family and a "normal" life--still bring chills to me when I watch that today.

And in The Pilot, Clark was able to talk to Dr. Platt about ion particles, which I saw as potential for him to decipher scientific jargon in the future. Of course, the show took a different turn.

The last three episodes of Season 1 were in my mind a disappointment. As an independent career woman in a traditionally man's scientific field in the 1990s, I thought Lois a wonderful role model. Up until Fly Hard when without a good explanation she sided with Lex and dismissed and demeaned Clark's suggestions all night. That to me was the start of the whole BatP/HoL inexplicable, poor decisions she made. I could see her being stunned into silence at the abruptness of Lex's proposal, as it definitely came out of thin air. But to abandon her friends and be drawn into his net was just not the Lois of the previous episodes. Whatever her reasons, I nearly stopped watching the show at that point. I did decide to give it another chance, and followed it through most of Season 4 when the network moved its time slot all over the place. Although it never quite reached the potential and magic I saw in The Pilot, probably due to the change in producers, writers and reported studio execs insisting on changes.

It may not be fair to either character, but when I first watched the show I mostly saw Clark's actions and reactions in the BatP/HoL episodes as panic and depression after Lois' decisions.

Green Green Glow of Home
Seasons Greedings

are probably my top three, although mostly I have favorite scenes not episodes. And I'm probably in the minority, but I love the scene in Smart Kids where Superman explains to Phillip how he understands how difficult it can be to be different. In that scene, Superman's disguise fell away as he opened his heart and revealed Clark's pain of growing up feeling like an outsider.

I also hated the Wedding-Amnesia Arc, and I don't think I watched much of the New Kryptonian Arc either the first time it was shown. Either that or it was so forgettable, I just blocked it out. I didn't like the episodes with druids, voodoo, ghosts and the like.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Top Banana
Top Banana
Name: Erica

Things You Enjoy: Writing fanfic (if only real life would slow down so I could get some done), gardening, reading

What You Love Most About LnC: The chemistry between the leads, the excellent fanfic (some of the best I've read), and the fans who still enjoy the show 20 years down the road. Seriously, it's great taking part in a fandom that doesn't seem to have any trolls or fandumb.

Favorite Episode:

It's hard to choose one. Here's five of my favorites:

Pilot
Green, Green Glow of Home
That Old Gang of Mine
Tempus Fugitive
Home is Where the Hurt Is

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Name: Virginia

Things You Enjoy: Walking or hiking in fresh mountain air. Making my kids laugh. Discovering a new recipe that includes chocolate (or rehashing that old one). Silence. (It's even better away from civilization. No hum of computers or anything man-made. Just beautiful.) Cuddling with a soft cat, while attempting to read a good romance or murder mystery. (Anyone who knows cats will understand the use of "attempt" in that sentence.) The darkness of a movie theater and the anticipation of what's to come. Reading/watching about a strong female character who goes on an adventure and the man she loves who admires her even more for not needing him to rescue her. (Ironic, I know.) Spelling a word correctly the first, second, AND third time I use it. Avoiding reality. Absolute control over my world (see previous and next sentences). The excitement of knowing my imagination and characters have plotted against me to hang left after I insisted that we were going most-certainly right. Old stuff. History. Culture. Traveling. Learning something new. (All that and more, not necessarily in that order.) Oh! And writing fiction, usually steeped in romance.

What You Love Most About LnC: Crazily enough, I love that Lois and Clark are both perfect people with flaws. Lois is flawed in the same way I am (or picture myself as or easily could've been in an alternative universe, had I been born a brunette), so that helps. wink I love that she's tough, brave, smart, driven, and somewhat scary, and that Clark admires her for it. Mostly, I was intrigued by Clark being the man and Superman being the disguise. I grew up with the Chris Reeves movies, and Clark acting like an idiot, therefore, Dean's portrayal of Clark was refreshing. I *love* that he fell in love with Lois at first sight and that's it's HIM playing catch-up, instead of him patronizingly teasing her to see through Clark's disguise. It's less insulting of Lois. I liked having Lex Luthor as the esteemed businessman, whom Lois admires and Clark has to battle both as Superman and as Clark. I adore Perry's Elvis addiction. However, one can't beat that Martha and Jonathan are still alive, are intelligent farmers, and Clark sees them as an asset to his life, past, present, and future (more so than a dead planet that abandoned him, albeit unwillingly, when he was an infant). Krypton may have given him the blood in his veins and his powers, but it was Martha and Jonathan who made him the sweet, loving, upstanding citizen and man he became. (The other version is also very insulting to adoptive parents.) Plus, everything about Tempus. He's a villain I love to hate.

Favorite Episode: Tempus Anyone? (Duh!)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Name: Felicia (though most people call me Feli, something I definitely encourage these days. I get *really* sick of people saying 'bye Felicia!' Tip- it's not funny.)

Things You Enjoy: My kids. Animals. Good books (and yes, that definitely includes fanfic!). Chocolate. Writing fanfic. Sewing.

What You Love Most About LnC: It's a whole bunch of things. The chemistry between Dean and Teri. The way the writers emphasised Clark as the real person and Superman as the disguise. The portrayal of Lois as this strong, intelligent, independent woman instead of as a silly little bimbo. The development of characters like Perry and Jimmy- I love that they weren't simply there to fill a gap or further a plot, but were important parts of Lois and Clark's lives.

Favorite Episode: I switch between The Phoenix and Lucky Leon, although I will always have a soft spot for Pheromone, My Lovely. It was the first episode I ever saw.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard