Collateral Damage
Folc4evernaday
Part 7

As Lois and Clark headed toward the lecture hall, they spotted Jimmy in the lobby. “Jimmy, are you okay?” Lois hugged her friend fiercely.

“Yeah, I'm fine, Lois,” Jimmy replied. “Superman got me out of there real quick.”

Lois shot Clark a glare for not telling her about Jimmy. He returned her glare with an apologetic look. “Lois, CK, have you guys talked to Superman yet?”

“Uh, no, not yet.” Clark began.

“Lois, Clark, good to see you!” Leslie interrupted the trio. Lois shot Leslie a hesitant glare; a look that was not lost on Leslie or Clark. “I hope you all are ready for my big announcement.”

“Announcement?” Clark asked coolly.

“Yes, haven't you heard? Walter O'Neal was found guilty as a co-conspirator with Garrett Grady. I can smell the headline now.”

Jimmy shot Leslie a cold glare. Leslie turned to Jimmy, “Jimmy, I do hope your experience yesterday has taught you a valuable lesson.”

“Yeah.” Jimmy pasted on a polite smile, but it was clear to anyone who knew him that he was seething inside.

“Good.” Leslie turned to Clark, “Clark, could I have a word?”

“Uh, sure.” Clark followed Leslie away from Lois and Jimmy.

Lois watched them hesitantly, unsure of what to make of the encounter. “What was that about?”

“Superman didn't tell you guys yet, huh?” Jimmy asked.

“What?” Lois asked, watching Clark and Leslie leave the lobby.

“Leslie Luckabee doesn't really exist, Lois. His real name is Lex.”

“WHAT??” Lois asked aghast.

“Lex Luthor Jr.”

“I just wanted to apologize for what happened last night.”

“What?”

“I'm sure Lois told you all about it and I don't want to beat a dead horse to death, but I want to assure you that nothing like this will EVER happen again.”

“Nothing like what?” Clark took a step towards Leslie.

“I assure you Lois put me in my place. I apologize profusely for my behavior. It was uncalled for.”

“What behavior was that?? What exactly happened between you and my wife last night, Leslie??” Clark cornered, meeting the man's gaze with his own steely gaze. He couldn't help but smile to himself when he saw Leslie take a step backward; trying to add some distance between them.

The blood drained from her face as the name registered in her mind. Lex. Lex Luthor. No, not the Lex she knew. A different one. His son. How many children had the man had? Was Leslie like his father? He certainly seemed to prove that he was last night. She had fought him tooth and nail when he had tried to come on to her.

“Lois? Did you hear what I just said?” Jimmy's voice echoed around her. She looked up at him and was surprised to see his face coming in and out in a blur. Oh, no, not now. She needed to calm down. She had to control this. She couldn't let this beat her. She had to focus.

“Lois???” Jimmy's voice reached her again as she began to practice the Lamaze breathing exercises she had been taught. Why was she having such a hard time? Did she forget to take her medicine last night? She couldn't remember. Last night was a blur. The only thing she remembered right now was Clark and their incredible lovemaking from earlier.

“Lois, I'm going to go get Clark,” Jimmy said when he wasn't able to get a response from her.

“No, I’m fine,” Lois stopped him. “Just give me a minute,” she reassured him.

Jimmy nodded and sat next to her, “Do you need some water?”

Lois shook her head, “No,” she closed her eyes and continued to practice the breathing techniques. “I have to learn to do this. That just was pretty shocking news.”

“Yeah, I’m sorry,” Jimmy apologized.

“Lois,” Clark took a seat next to Lois and Jimmy, “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine,” Lois breathed, “Just trying to calm my nerves,”

“I told her about Leslie…er….Lex,” Jimmy explained. “She said she just needs a minute.”

Clark remembered, he wasn’t supposed to know yet, “Lex?” he feigned confusion.

Jimmy nodded, “I hacked into Australia’s database and found out there is no Leslie Luckabee but…. there is a Lex Luthor Jr.”

“What?” Clark tried to feign surprise as he turned his attention back to Lois, “How are you doing?”

It was weird. The same exercises that had failed to work earlier seemed to have a calming effect on her now that Clark was holding her.

After a few minutes, Clark looked at her hesitantly. “Better?” She nodded mutely. “Can you stand up?” He helped her to her feet. “What happened?”

“Jimmy told me.” Lois began slowly, “about Leslie or ...Lex.” Clark raked a hand through his hair shamefully.

“I’m sorry, Lois,” Jimmy apologized. “I had no idea I was going to upset you this much.”

“It’s not your fault Jimmy,” Clark explained, “Lois has a high-risk pregnancy. She has to keep her stress level at a minimum. You couldn’t have known.”

“I’m so sorry,” Jimmy said, “Do you need anything? I’m gonna get you some water,” He got up and rushed out of the room towards the dining room.

Lois watched Jimmy leave, then hit Clark across the chest, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was going to, but we kinda got distracted. I was worried about you. You were obviously upset about something that had happened last night and I didn't want to upset you any further.”

“He came onto me,” Lois mumbled against his chest.

“What?” Clark wasn’t sure he heard her right; even with his super-hearing. He felt his body tense up as she repeated herself.

“Leslie came onto me last night. He tried to kiss me. I pushed him off. Then he grabbed my arms and did it again. I finally was able to knee him and get away, but….” The tears fell down her cheeks as she spoke.

Clark pulled her into his arms once more as she recalled her encounter with Leslie.“Sweetheart, I am SO sorry. I should have been here.” He whispered, holding her close.

“No, you had to help in Metropolis.” She reasoned in between her hysteria. “Clark, what are we going to do?”

“Stop him,” Clark muttered, tightening his arms protectively around her.

Jimmy returned with the bottle of water hesitantly. He wasn't sure what had transpired, but Lois seemed to be feeling better. “Lois, are you okay?”

Lois pulled herself out of Clark's arms reluctantly. “Yeah, Jimmy, I'm fine. Thank you.”

“Yeah, no sweat,” Jimmy said.

“Any word on that recording?” Leslie asked over the phone as he cleaned himself up in the mirror in his hotel room. Clark had shaken him up a little bit, but he was certain the next part of the plan would be shaking him up.

“It’s choppy at best but I’m working on restoring the recording.” Mr. Smith responded. “Are you ready for the next phase of the plan?”

“Yes,” Leslie straightened his tie, “They won’t know what hit them.”

Penny Barnes held a manila envelope in her arms as she stepped off the bus. She had to find Superman. She had to show him what she had found. He may not want to be with her, but she had to show him what she had uncovered at Diticom. He would know what to do.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Lex Luthor Jr. I am the new owner of the Daily Planet along with many of your utility companies throughout Metropolis and the North and South East. I would like to welcome you to a new era of Lex Corp. Where the name 'Lex' is no longer connected with greed.”

The crowd stood still as the information began to sink in. Leslie Luckabee was Lex Luthor Jr.

Perry watched the revelation from the newsroom in shock. “Oh, my God!”

“Hey, I guess you know how to pick 'em, huh, Perry?” Ralph asked patting the elderly man on the back.

Perry felt a wave of pain run through his body. Something wasn't right. The tinge throughout his arm. He looked at Ralph and said hoarsely, “Ralph, I never thought I'd have to say this to you, but get my car and pull it around.”

“Why??”

“I think I'm about to have a heart attack!”

The room was filled with chaos. “I don't believe it. He just came out and admitted it!” Jimmy looked around the room skeptically. “Something isn't right here.”

“I smell a rat with the last name Luthor,” Clark muttered bitterly.

“There has to be more to it than this,” Lois whispered. “We're dealing with a Luthor here. Nothing is as it seems.”

“You got that right.”

They watched as Leslie ascended the podium once more and began to address the crowd once more. “I'm sure you all have many questions, and I can assure you that I will do my best to answer all your concerns. I know it's a bit hard to take in. The name Lex Luthor has not earned any brownie points over the years, but rest assured I will do everything in my power to rectify that point.” he turned to a small man that was standing next to him. “Mr. Chairman?”

“It is with great honor that we rename our Ocean Avenue Resort, Lexor Resorts. Mr. Luthor has just purchased the entire chain.”

“All of the rooms will come with free amenities. The cost will not fall on the consumer any
longer.” Leslie smiled at the crowd. Everyone began to cheer except of course for Lois and Clark. Jimmy was still in shock over the entire ordeal with Lois to respond.

“Well, he's obviously got something the crowd likes,” Lois muttered.

“Yeah, money. He's throwing it at them.” Clark responded dryly. He watched as Leslie made his way into the crowd. “I think it's time I had a chat with Mr. LUTHOR.”

“Clark, please don't do anything rash.” Lois pleaded with him.

Clark smiled and kissed her, “Remember who you're talking to.”

Jimmy sat on the steps of the hotel in shock. Lex Luthor Jr. The name still sent chills down his spine. He didn't even have to endure the hardships Lois and Clark had with Lex Sr. and he still was unnerved by the name.

“Jimmy?” a young female voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked up and saw Penny standing before him.

“Penny? Wha-What are you doing here?”

“I needed to talk to you. It's important. I called the Planet and they said you were in Atlantic City; so here I am.”

“You flew all the way over here just to talk to me?” he asked skeptically.

“I came across some information regarding my old boss. I thought you could use it.” Penny replied shyly, “And I wanted to see you.”

“Penny, I appreciate your help, but you do understand that I'm not Superman, right?”

Penny stared at him dumbfounded. He was still denying his alter-ego. She would play along. Maybe one day he would be ready to admit the truth to her. She had to regain his trust. She had come on to him too hard; now he was gun-shy. That was understandable. “Of course, Jimmy. I came to see you.”

Jimmy sighed in relief. He really did like Penny. He just needed to know she cared about him, Jimmy Olsen, not Superman. “What have you got?”

“The books that were found by the police? The ones that implicated Walter O'Neal in that embezzlement scheme with all those other CEOs and connected him to the Annihilator? They aren't in the Diticom system.”

“What?”

“I was the one in charge of those books, Jimmy. Someone created a false document implicating Walter O'Neal.”

“But why would someone want to do something like that?”

“Unless they wanted to cover their own tracks?” Penny offered.

“Do you have proof of this?”

“I printed everything off my computer then headed over here.” She patted the envelope in her hands.

“We gotta show this to Lois and CK. If this is true; then whoever is behind this might also be behind those deaths with the Pulse Converter.”

“But I thought the police confiscated the Pulse Converter when Mr. Grady was arrested.”

“The one they have in lock up turned out to be a fake. Lois and CK know more about it than I do. Come on.” He grabbed her hand and urged her to follow him inside.

Leslie stepped off the elevator and headed towards his room. He was mildly surprised to find Clark waiting for him outside his hotel room. “Ah, Clark, what can I do for you?”

“I wanted to finish our conversation from earlier,” there was a chill in his voice that Leslie had not heard before, “Luthor.”

“Ah, yes.” He unlocked the door and opened it. Clark stepped inside, “Won't you come in.” Leslie muttered under his breath.

Clark ignored the remark, keeping his gaze on Leslie as he closed the door. “You said earlier that Lois put you in your place.”

“Yes.”

“You forgot to mention the part where you decided to manhandle her while she screamed for you to STOP.” he hissed as he approached Leslie. “Who the HELL do you think you ARE?”

“Clark, as I said beforehand, I am truly apologetic. I don't know what came over me. It will never happen again.” Leslie unconsciously took a step backward as Clark advanced forward.

“Let's be clear with one another so this MISTAKE never happens again, shall we?” Clark was right in Leslie's face. They were a few inches apart as Clark grabbed Leslie by the collar, “If you so much as breathe the wrong way in Lois' direction, or my child's for that matter I will snap your neck like a twig. Are we clear? I don't care who the hell you are or who your damn father is, or was. No one, and I mean NO ONE hurts Lois.”

Leslie found himself thrown to the ground as Clark left the room. He had certainly underestimated Clark Kent in his plan. His eyes narrowed as he watched the reporter walk down the hall through the peephole in his room. He wouldn't make that mistake again. Clark Kent was protective of his wife. This much was evident. How could he use this knowledge to his advantage?

“Mr. White?” a soft voice echoed through the room. The lights were bright. Where was he? “Mr. White?”

“Wha?” Perry looked around uncertainly.

“Your wife is here to see you.” the nurse left. Perry still was fading in and out of consciousness.

“Perry?”

“Alice?” he mumbled incoherently.

“You lunkhead! I told you one day this job was going to kill you!”

“Huh?”

“Do you even know what's going on?”

“I love you, Alice.” he mumbled before losing consciousness once more.

Lois sat in the dining hall, staring at the plate of food in front of her; unable to convince herself to eat. She wasn't sure what had made her do it. She had called the office to check in. It was a perfectly normal thing to do. Ralph had answered the phone. After his usual snide remarks; he had told her something she never thought she'd hear. Perry was in the hospital. She didn't even hear the rest of the conversation. She had just hung up, unable to say or do anything She hadn't even heard Clark when he had sat down next to her. “Lois?”

Perry was in the hospital. He had had a heart attack. Perry had always seemed so invincible. He was always in control. He seemed to monitor his health okay, but obviously not enough. “Lois, honey, what's wrong? You're scaring me.” Clark's voice interrupted her thoughts.

Lois couldn't hold it in any longer. The tears fell down her face at their own accord, “Honey, what's wrong?” He pulled her into his arms, trying to soothe her the best he knew how.

“I called the office; Perry's in the hospital.” She said in between tears.

“What?” His body stiffened against her cheek. She looked up at him and saw his face go pale. “When? How?” Perry had always been a good friend to both of them, acting as a surrogate father in some instances.

“Ralph said he had a heart attack in the middle of the newsroom when Leslie err Lex was revealing himself to the world.” Lois shuddered; the mere mention of the name Lex still sent chills down her spine. “Clark, I 'm so worried about Perry. We need to get back.”

“Our flight doesn't leave until this afternoon.” Clark sighed, pulling her into his arms. “All that's left is your basic mingling stuff. We can just skip that if you're not up to it.”

“Lois, CK, we've got something.” Jimmy walked up to their table with Penny in tow.

“Jimmy, hi, sit down.” Lois swiped at the few tears that had escaped during her plea to Clark. “Hi, Penny.”

“Lois, are you okay? What's wrong? Is it the baby? Oh, my God!” Jimmy began imagining all the worst-case scenarios in his head before Lois and Clark could respond.

“No, no, Jimmy, it's nothing like that,” Clark reassured him.

“It's just hormones. You know us, crazy pregnant women.” Lois gave a watery smile, trying to cover. She really didn't want to tell Jimmy about Perry right now. She'd prefer to tell him when they got to Metropolis.

“What's wrong?” Jimmy asked; she wasn't fooling anyone.

“I really don't want to talk about it right now.”

“What did you find out?” Clark asked, trying to steer the conversation to a more neutral subject.

“Oh, it's actually what Penny found out.” He gestured to the blonde sitting next to him. “Go ahead.”

“As you both know, I was working in the secretary pool at Diticom. I was in charge of the books. The supposed evidence they found implicating Mr. Grady and Walter O'Neal in embezzlement was faked. Those numbers were never in the original documents.” Penny explained.

“How can you be sure?” Lois asked. “I mean, what if the numbers you had were fakes.”

“Diticom has never worked with O'Neal Industries. Then, when Mr. Grady was arrested Walter O'Neal's name magically appeared in all the books in Mr. Grady's office. Nothing from our system shows where those books came from.” Penny looked at Lois and Clark who were exchanging a look, seeming to be saying something to one another with a look.

“Sounds like a definite cover-up,” Lois stated matter of factly. “Jimmy, call Inspector Henderson and see what you can find out about their case against Walter O'Neal. Also, I want you to dig up everything you can on Leslie Luckabee, Luckabee Enterprises, Lex Luthor Jr, Lex Corp, Walter O'Neal, and O'Neal Industries.”

Jimmy quickly jotted down the names as Lois shot them out. “Anything else?”

“Make sure you’re on the same flight as us this afternoon,” Lois added. “I'll explain later.” She watched Jimmy leave with Penny and sighed with relief. “I don't know how we're going to tell him.”

“I'm sure, Perry will be fine.” Clark whispered, kissing her on the cheek.

“Perry?” Alice watched as Perry slowly opened his eyes.

“Alice? What are you doing here? Where-where am I?” He tried to sit up but found himself tangled in wires and tubes. He seemed to register the fact that he was in a hospital, but he didn't know why.

“A guy named Ralph called me. He said you had a heart attack and would need someone here.” Alice explained. “I told you this job was going to kill you,” she shot out bitterly between tears. It was evident that she had been crying for quite some time.

“I remember watching that newscast on Luckabee..err..Luthor and then I got this pain in my arm...” Perry recalled. “I had a heart attack?”

“Yeah. They did a triple bypass; between the food you put away and your blood pressure...It was just too much.” Alice wanted to cry, but she couldn't find the tears.

Perry looked at the clock, “Lois and Clark will....be back from .....Atlantic City soon....”

“Perry, for God's sake you can worry about the stupid paper some other time! You just had a heart attack!”

“I'm not talking about the paper, Alice. I'm talking about Lois and Clark. They just found out Lex Luthor Jr is their boss; that can't exactly be easy for them. You remember everything they went through.” Perry's eyes were pleading with her. He didn't want to fight with her. It had been over a year since they had seen one another.

Alice grew quiet for a moment, “I'm sorry, Perry, of course, I remember. I'm sure they're fine. I didn't mean to go off on you; it's just with everything. My emotions are running pretty high right now.”

“I know.” Perry placed a supportive hand on hers. She looked up at him and smiled.

“Honey, I'm home!” Leslie called as he stepped down the staircase, looking for Mr. Smith.

“Oh, great. We have a comedian in the house.” Mr. Smith muttered dryly. “Excellent job on Lois Lane. Lex Luthor would have been proud.”

“Yes, well, I don't think he would approve of our plan to destroy her.”

“She was a part of his downfall. She must pay.” Mr. Smith's anger was evident.

Leslie laughed, “Yes, Clark wasn't too happy with me 'hurting' his wife.”

“Oh, but why should he be? Of course, none of that will matter when we're done with Metropolis. Lex Luthor will have his revenge on those that betrayed him and those responsible for his downfall.”

“If you listen closely you can hear Lex laughing from his grave,” Leslie remarked amusedly.

“If you listen closer you can hear him actually speak.”

“You restored the recording?”

“When have I ever failed you, Master?” Mr. Smith pressed play and Lex Luthor's voice echoed throughout the room.

“Think of it, son. A secret that could make us the most powerful men on Earth. The only thing that's ever rivaled our power is Superman. But what better way to neutralize him than to possess his deepest secret...that of his true identity...”

“He knew?” Leslie asked somewhat shocked.

“Listen,” Mr. Smith instructed.

“After all these years, I was shocked but somewhat amused to discover Superman had been masquerading as my other nemesis, the beloved of my dear Lois. None other than Clark Kent.”

“Oh, this is perfect!” Leslie exclaimed. “Clark Kent is Superman?”

“Indeed. What better form of revenge than to attack what Superman holds most dear?”

“I was born for this!” Leslie exclaimed, pumping his fists in the air.

“YOU? I put all of this in your hands.”

“And don't think for a moment that I'm not grateful.”

“You forget your place.” They stood staring one another down, “You're a lucky man! Lucky I found you bussing tables in that cafe, hoping for an acting break. Lucky I educated and trained you. Lucky I handed you the world's most powerful corporation...” Mr. Smith had Leslie by the collar at this point, daring him to make one wrong move.

“All right, take it easy...”

“Let us be clear with one another, so the lines of truth and fiction don't blur and cause your luck to change. You PLAY Lex Luthor, Jr. the neglected child of the world's most notorious businessman and criminal of our time. I AM Lex Luthor Jr.” He threw Leslie to the ground, “Never forget that!”

“So, I kinda did something I probably shouldn't have.” Clark began as they took their seats on the plane.

“What?” Lois asked suspiciously, unsure if she wanted to know the answer.

“I kinda ....Well, I kinda threatened Lex...” Clark wasn't proud of what he had done. He had let his emotions get the better of him and now he was worried about how this might come back to them.

“What exactly did you say?” Lois asked.

“I threatened to snap his neck like a twig if he even breathed the wrong way in your direction.” Clark admitted sheepishly.

Lois fought to keep the laughter out of her voice. Her Clark was anything but violent but when it came to her and the baby's safety she knew he would do anything to make sure they were safe. “You didn't…”

Clark hung his head and winced as he looked up, “Unfortunately, I did.”

“Well, did you scare him?”

“I think so.”

“Good.” Lois gave him a kiss on the cheek. “I'm sure everything will be fine. After what he tried last night he needed to have someone push him around a bit.” She winked at him and rested her head on his shoulder, preparing to catch a nap on the flight back to Metropolis.

Clark still wasn't convinced, but he decided to let it go for now. He had bigger problems to deal with than his bullying of Lex Luthor Jr.

Dr. Klein sat at Lois Lane's desk impatiently tapping his fingers against the wood grain of her desk. He had to warn Lois and Clark ...

“Can I help you?” A young man approached him, curious as to what Dr. Klein was doing sitting at Lois Lane's desk.

“I'm waiting for Lois Lane. I need to get a hold of Superman.” Dr. Klein explained.

“Well, they should be in within the hour,” the young man raked a hand through his hair, unsure of what to do with the scientist. “Can I get you something?”

“No, I'm fine.”

“All right, everyone, I want to know where Mr. LUCKABEE aka LUTHOR; or should I call him the biggest liar on the face of this planet...Where is he?” Franklin Stern's voice echoed throughout the bullpen; all motion stopped as everyone turned to look at the former owner of the Daily Planet.

TBC...

Part 8 next.
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube