Collateral Damage
Folc4evernaday
Part 4

The pain; it was everywhere. She felt like her insides were on fire. The echo of a monotone beeping penetrated her unconscious mind. Where was she? In a bed…She knew that much..She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. She spotted her husband sitting in a chair next to her. There were monitors everywhere. She was in a hospital. “Clark?” she croaked out. Her throat was dry. Why was her throat dry? It hurt to talk.

“Lois?” Clark moved closer to the bed and took her hand. “Honey, are you okay?”

“What happened?” she asked.

“You don’t remember?”

“I remember ….you were holding me and then the room began to spin…” She stopped a minute, “I’m really thirsty…”

“Here.” He poured her a cup of water and handed it to her. She took it gratefully then took a deep breath, “Better?” Clark asked. She nodded mutely. “Yeah, the doctor should be in here any minute.”

“What happened?”

“You passed out; I brought you to the hospital. Honey, are you sure you’re okay? You really scared me.”

“I’m fine. It was weird. I was tired and I started getting blurry vision …the room began to spin; then everything went black. Next thing I knew I had woken up here.”

A knock at the door interrupted them; they turned their attention to the door where a tall man in a white coat stood. He was about six foot; he had light brown hair and a short goatee. He looked like he couldn’t be a day over twenty-five. “Mrs. Kent? I’m Dr. Patel.” The man extended his hand out to Lois. “You must be going for a record…” He muttered as he looked through her chart, checking her vitals.

“What do you mean?”

“Tempting fate? Your blood pressure was off the charts, Mrs. Kent. You have to slow down. You can’t be chasing after criminals the way you’re used to.”

“We weren’t chasing after criminals, doctor,” Clark argued.

“Well, something has to change or your baby is going to suffer for it. I’m keeping you here overnight until Dr. Pierce is able to make it over here. No visitors; except your husband of course…”

“I can’t stay here overnight,” Lois argued. “I hate hospitals…”

“Could have fooled me…No work. Bed rest.” Dr. Patel left the room and closed the door behind him.

“This is insane.” Lois crossed her arms over her chest in defiance “They’re keeping me here against my will until Dr. Pierce arrives. Who knows when that will be?”

“Well, that will give you a chance to practice something you need to work on,” Clark said, gently squeezing her hand.

“What’s that?” she asked curiously.

“Patience.” He replied solemnly.

“Mr. Peters, it’s a pleasure.” Leslie extended his hand to the man before him.

“Mr. Luckabee..Thank you for taking care of my bond.” Peters said graciously.

“Not a problem.” Leslie said, “So, I assume you took care of everything?”

“Yes, Mr. Grady’s books read of deposits from the Cayman Islands. All the business dealings he made with O’Neal are marked and tagged. I placed them in plain sight.”

“Excellent. So, O’Neal’s holdings will go under investigation…” Leslie puffed on his cigar lightly. He turned to his assistant, “Mr. Smith, why don’t you get Mr. Peters a cigar?”

“Of course, sir.” Mr. Smith returned with a box of Cuban cigars. “Anything else?”

“Yes, Mr. Peters looks a bit tired…Why don’t you take care of him?” Leslie suggested.

“Of course.” Mr. Smith opened the box of cigars and pulled out a gun. He aimed it at Peters.

“What is this? I thought we were a team?”

“I’m not much of a team player,” Leslie remarked. Mr. Smith fired the weapon and the echo of the gunshot rang through the tunnels.

Peters body slumped over and Mr. Smith kicked his body into the sewer water behind him. “I’m sure the rats will feast tonight.”

“Lois, come on, try and get some sleep, please?” Clark begged.

“No. I am not going to sleep here.” Lois said defiantly. “I’ll go to sleep when I am in my own bed.”

“Lois..” Clark warned.

“Mrs. Kent?” there was a knock at the door. Lois and Clark were both relieved to see the familiar woman in her mid-thirties in a white coat at the door. She had a large machine with her that she was wheeling into the room “I understand you’ve had a bit of a problem lately with your preeclampsia?”

“I had a problem with my blood pressure going up a little bit…I had a dizzy spell and passed out.” Lois explained. “I was not chasing criminals or running marathons…”

Dr. Pierce smiled, “Dr. Patel doesn’t have the best bedside manner, but he means well.”

“Is he this charming with all his patients or am I just special?” Lois asked.

“This is, after all, your second visit to the emergency room during your pregnancy.” Dr. Pierce pointed out.

“Yeah, but it’s not like Lois is out looking for trouble, Doctor, she and I just seem to be targeted for drawing out Superman, I guess,” Clark interjected.

“Understood.” Dr. Pierce said, making a note in the chart she was holding. “Did you have any pain when you fainted?”

“No,” Lois shook her head. “Just very dizzy…”

“Any recent nausea?”

“Not recently. I had it about a month ago though.”

“But it’s passed since?”

“Yeah, it seems to have.” Lois said.

“And then tonight you just passed out?” Dr. Pierce asked.

“Yeah. I got dizzy then I just blacked out.”

“But no nausea?”

“No.”

“Hmmm, what had you been doing earlier this evening?”

“Um, we went out to dinner…met up with our friend Jimmy…then Jimmy and I left…that’s when I got held up at gunpoint.” Lois said the last part quietly.

“Pardon?” Dr. Pierce asked.

“Jimmy and I went to help a friend of his that was in trouble then while I was waiting outside, minding my own business and TRYING to stay out of danger I had a gun pulled on me. Just another day of being held hostage as bait for Superman…”

“Did it work?”

Lois shook her head, “No. We were able to break free and get out of there thanks to our friend Jimmy giving them a bit of a distraction…”

Dr. Pierce just shook her head as she wrote in her notebook, “Okay, anything else that was stressful tonight?”

“Um, the entire staff of the Daily Planet decided to surprise us with a party…that was…unexpected…” Lois blushed at the memory.

“It was a few hours later that Lois began to get really tired and she then started having the dizzy spells,” Clark explained.

“Mmmm hmm. Okay, why don’t you lie back and lift up your gown.” Dr. Pierce instructed, “We’re going to do an ultrasound…” She squeezed a gel onto Lois’ abdomen prompting a squeal of surprise from her. “Sorry. This stuff is a bit cold.”

“No kidding,” Lois muttered.

“Okay, let’s see here.” She pulled out a small round piece that was attached to the ultrasound machine and placed it on Lois’ abdomen. Immediately a quick thumping could be heard throughout the room.

Clark smiled at Lois, “Nice and strong,”

“Yes, baby boy Kent is raring to go in there…” Dr. Pierce explained. She turned her attention to the monitors in front of her. “Let’s see, your measurements look to be about twenty five weeks along. So right on target. Baby seems to be growing at a normal rate…no signs of any problems in the placenta. Honestly, I think you should be okay. The preeclampsia appears to be in the mild range. Your blood pressure is very high but there are no signs of any damage to the placenta.”

“So, how do we keep the blood pressure down? I am going out of my way to stay out of danger but it just keeps finding me…I don’t know what to do. I had no idea I was pregnant for twelve weeks. Twelve weeks of still taking birth control. What if that hurt him? What if that’s what’s causing the preeclampsia…” Lois rambled as all the insecurities she’d been holding in began to pour out.

Dr. Pierce held up a hand for her to calm down, “Easy. It is nothing you have done. Sometimes it just happens. Usually in more serious cases of preeclampsia, there are signs of placenta abruption..Your blood pressure is high but its not dangerously high. You can reduce the amount of stress both physically and mentally. When you’re trying to do work and you feel like you’re getting stressed do breathing exercises…yoga. There are some great prenatal yoga exercises you can do. There is Lamaze that can help prepare you for birth.” She turned to the printer and removed a roll of black and white pictures. “Here are your baby pictures. You’ve only got a few months left. Just try and relax. Everything will be fine. I’ve delivered babies at 28 weeks that have lived to be healthy, but I’d prefer not to. Everyone seems to make things out a lot worse than they are. Take care of yourself and keep your stress level down as much as possible. That’s all you can do.”

She handed Lois a few wipes. Lois worked on wiping the gunk off of her abdomen and sat up. “Okay. Here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to put you on a prescription, ‘Magnesium Sulfate’, it’s supposed to help level out both your hormone levels and your blood pressure. We’re going to have to do constant fetal monitoring. That means every week without fail you need to be in my office. No excuses.” Dr. Pierce handed them the prescription with a few fliers out of her briefcase and handed them to Lois and Clark, “These are some classes for Lamaze and other stress relief techniques that may help as well. The key is to reduce the stress level. When at all possible prop your feet up and reduce the amount of time you’re on your feet. No more than 1 hour at a time of being on your feet. Gravity is not your friend. Especially when the baby gets bigger.”

“Okay, thank you.” Clark took the brochures.

“When can I get out of here?” Lois asked impatiently.

“As soon as I sign your discharge papers. Which will be after I get a blood and urine sample from you. The nurse will be back in just a few minutes.” Dr. Pierce smiled. “I’ll see you next week..” She checked her Blackberry, “Wednesday at six?”

“Sounds good,” Lois replied. “When can we leave?”

Dr. Pierce just laughed and headed towards the door, “Don’t worry, you’ll be home within the hour.”

The next day, Clark sat on his laptop going over what he had on the missing CEOs. Lois was still asleep and his mom had decided shopping for baby clothes would be a good surprise for when she woke up. Meanwhile, he was trying to make some headway on the missing CEOs. Another one had disappeared last night during the fiasco with Grady. He knew they had to be connected somehow. He was on the phone with Jimmy, discussing the investigation. “Where have you gotten with that ATM tape, Jimmy?”

“Uh, I’ve got a call into Inspector Henderson. The FBI keeps giving me the runaround.” Jimmy explained.

“Okay, let me know what you turn up.”

“Sure. Hey, CK, how’s Lois doing?”

“She’s fine.” Clark smiled. “She’s still asleep. We didn’t get back until late.” Clark explained.

“Yeah, well, I guess this will be one birthday you won’t forget,” Jimmy said. “Tell Lois to take it easy. We’ll see you guys later.”

“All right. Call me as soon as you hear something about that tape.”

“You got it.”

Clark hung up the phone then turned his attention to the background of the missing CEOs. What was he missing?

“Hey, son, where’s Lois?” Jonathan asked, loaded down with shopping bags.

“She’s still asleep.” Clark stood up and moved to help his father with the bags. “Here. Let me.” He looked at all the bags and laughed, “Is there anything left at the store?”

“Well, you know your mother likes to stock up on everything while we’re in Metropolis.”

“Clark, you have got to see some of the stuff we found.” Martha pulled out some of the items she had bought. “Isn’t it adorable?” She pulled out a yellow blanket with a white bunny rabbit head on it. Clark smiled sadly. “It’s a security blanket. I was reading this book and they said it’s important for the mother to sleep with it while she’s pregnant; then when the baby is born it will have her scent on it and help comfort the baby when he or she’s asleep.”

“It’s adorable, Mom, thanks.” Clark smiled at his mother. Only she would be thinking of everything but the preeclampsia. She was convinced the baby would be fine. He just hoped she was right.

“What’s adorable?” Lois asked as she approached them. Clark noticed she was dressed casually. He hoped she didn’t try to go into work today.

“This.” Martha handed her the security blanket.

“Oh, Martha….” Lois cooed over the blanket.

“I figured you would like it. It’s a neutral color so it can be for a boy or a girl. That way it can be passed down from one child to the next…” She winked at them.

Lois laughed as Martha went into a full ramble about baby clothes and feedings. She could ramble just as well as Lois could when she got going. “Did Clark show you the latest sonogram pictures?”

“Oh, they’re right here.” Clark lifted the sonogram off the coffee table.

Martha and Jonathan crowded around Lois and Clark to see the picture, “Oh, my…” Martha cooed.

“It’s hard to believe that in just a few months this will be our little boy...” Lois gestured to the sonogram.

“How are you feeling?” Martha asked concerned.

“I’m better…I feel a lot better.” Lois reasoned.

“You gave everyone quite a scare last night.” Jonathan chimed in.

“Sorry…” Lois shrugged her shoulders, unsure of what else to say.

Martha gave her a brief hug. “You need to just relax and take care of yourself. Everything else will work itself out.”

Lois smiled back at her mother-in-law. This woman had so much faith. She wished she felt as confident as she did. “It’s just hard,”

“Anything worth having usually is,” Jonathan chimed in. “Any word on why that Grady fella was trying to use that satellite?”

Clark shook his head, “No, he claims it was for ‘world peace’ but I’m not buying it.”

“Well, you two will figure it out,” Martha added. “We’re gonna get out of your hair so you can get some work done…” Martha looked at Lois, “…and get some rest. We’ve got an afternoon flight back to Smallville…”

“Mom, you don’t have to do that…” Clark began to argue.

“We’ve got to head back….” Jonathan shook his head, “…and you need to stay with Lois. We’ll be back to visit in a few weeks.” He patted Lois on the shoulder, “Take care of yourself and that grandson of ours,”

Lois smiled, “I will…”

Inspector Henderson cautiously walked down the dock on Hobbs Bay. The stench was intolerable; he covered his face with a handkerchief. “What have we got here?”

The officer on scene had a grim look on his face. “Four dead bodies. The fourth one looks like it’s been here only a few hours. We should be able to get an easy ID on him.”

“And the others?”

“They’re gonna be a bit longer. They’ve already begun to decompose and …there are pieces missing from where the fish had begun to…eat away at them.”

“Okay…Get ‘em down to forensics…”

“Will do, Inspector.”

After seeing the Kents off, Clark updated Lois on everything he’d been working on while she’d been resting. “Jimmy’s got a call into Bill Henderson about that tape. Hopefully, we can get a copy by tomorrow.”

“More and more CEOs are coming up missing,” Lois shook her head, “Any word on that missing assistant of Garret Grady’s?”

“No.” Clark shook his head, “It’s weird. It’s like he just disappeared after he was bonded out. I’ve scanned the entire city; nothing.”

“Well, who got him out?” Lois asked.

“A company called Caribbean Imports…”

Jimmy was on the phone with Metropolis P.D.; holding for Inspector Henderson. “Yes, this is Jimmy Olsen, I’m still holding for Inspector Henderson. No, please don’t put me on hold…I just want to…” the music began to play in his ear once more. “Why do they hate me?” he muttered to himself. “I hate this job!”

“Better not say that too loud. The owner might overhear you.” Leslie Luckabee smiled at Jimmy as he perched himself on Jimmy’s desk.

“Mr. Luckabee, I didn’t see you coming or else I wouldn’t have stuck my foot in my mouth…” He smiled sheepishly.

“Don’t worry about it. Sometimes I’m not that crazy about my job either.”

“Really?” Jimmy asked in disbelief.

“Someone giving you a hard time?” Leslie asked, changing the subject.

“I’ve been trying to get a copy of the ATM tape from the Metropolis Bank for the past few days. I’ve called the FBI; now I’m trying to get a hold of Inspector Henderson…It’s insane how many times they can transfer you to the operator on accident.”

“What do you need a copy of the ATM tape for?”

“Oh, it’s for Lois and CK…they need it for their investigation into those missing CEOs…Normally I wouldn’t have a problem, but in investigations like this FBI usually stands for ‘forget about it.’”

“I see.” Leslie nodded, “So, tell me, what’s it like working with such a celebrated reporter like Lois Lane day in and day out?”

“Lois? She’s great! I’m the luckiest guy I know…Well except for CK…He’s uh, WAY luckier than me if you know what I mean.”

Leslie smiled, “Yes, I think I do. They must have a very special relationship; being married and working together.”

“Yeah, no kidding. It took ‘em long enough to get together. People were placing bets the first couple months the Chief partnered them up.”

“Bets?” Leslie asked confused.

“Well, you see it was extremely evident that Lois liked CK; she just wouldn’t admit it. Then just looking at CK and the way he looked at Lois you could tell he liked her too. We were just betting on how long it would take for the two of them to get together.”

“Ah…Well, I sure hope their relationship lasts…Anyway, carry on Jimmy.”

“Okay, see you around, Mr. Luckabee.”

Jimmy turned his attention to the phone that was still in his ear, “Metropolis P.D. where can I direct your call?”

Clark watched Lois as she fixed a cup of coffee and walked back into the living room. “So, how are you really feeling?”

“I’m better. I still feel a little sore from where baby boy has been kicking my ribs, but I’m okay.” Lois acknowledged. She sat down on the couch and began sifting through the papers Clark had been going through.

Clark sat down next to her and put an arm around her shoulders. “Honey, we don’t have to do this right now. I already called Perry and told him we were working from home today.”

“I just wanted to go through this once more. I keep hoping I’ll spot something I didn’t before…a clue maybe?” Lois began sifting through the papers once more. “Has Jimmy gotten a copy of that ATM tape yet?”

“No, he’s still trying to get a hold of Inspector Henderson, but he hasn’t been able to touch base with him.”

“So, we’re still at clue zero.” Lois summarized.

“Unless clue one is somewhere in here.” Clark motioned to the stack of papers on the table, “Are you hungry? Do you want me to make you something?”

“I’m fine.” Lois sighed and leaned back into his embrace, “This is all just so frustrating.”

“Tell me about it.”

“There’s got to be something we’re missing here, Clark.”

The doorbell rang, interrupting her train of thought. They got up and answered the door, “Bill?” Clark was surprised to see Inspector Henderson on the other side of the door.

“Can I come in?” Inspector Henderson asked hesitantly.

“Yeah,” Clark motioned for him to enter.

“What’s going on?” Lois asked.

“We pulled out four bodies from Hobbs Bay this morning.”

“What?” Lois and Clark asked in unison.

“Three of them were the missing CEOs. The other one was our missing guy from Diticom.” He tossed the police file to them. “We just got an ID on him a few minutes ago.”

“Okay, why are you telling us?” Lois asked curiously, “I usually have to pry information out of you.”

“I knew you two were covering the investigation…and since you two helped bag this guy last night I figured you’d want to know.” Lois gave him an ‘I don’t believe you’ look and he continued, “and maybe I’m hoping you two can help me find what my guys can’t.” At Lois’ dubious look, “Don’t look at me like that. I may be a cop, but I also know you two are damn good and finding the skunk in the rose garden so to speak.”

“Thank you,” Clark began sifting through the file, “This says the bodies were already decomposing?”

“Yeah, it kinda happens when fish begin eating at you…” Inspector Henderson smiled, “Anyway, the cause of death is still undetermined except on that Peters guy. He was shot….Kinda makes you wonder where that new superhero was?”

“What do you mean?” Lois asked.

“She’s been stopping crime all over the place then yesterday no one had seen or heard from her…it’s like she just vanished…Right around the same time, this Grady guy decides to put the Annihilator into orbit.”

“Hmmm,” Clark glanced at Lois warily then turned his attention back to Henderson, “Anything else?”

“We’ve got Forensics going over the scene right now. I should have something later this afternoon.”

“Bill, is there any way you could help us out with something?” Lois asked.

“Depends on what it is.”

“The FBI has been giving us a hard time about getting a copy of that ATM tape from the Bank chairman’s disappearance; can you see if you can get us a copy of that tape? It would really help with our investigation.” Lois smiled warmly, placing a hand on her abdomen for emphasis, knowing it would tug just hard enough on Henderson’s heart strings to help them out.

He just snorted, “You’ve been trying to get a copy of the tape from the FBI?” He shook his head then picked up his phone that was vibrating in his pocket and looked at it, “We have a copy of the tape down at the precinct. I’ll have it couriered over to you by this afternoon.”

“Great; thanks, Bill.” Clark said.

“No problem.” He looked at his phone and noticed a text of ‘911’ on the screen. “Listen, I gotta go. I’ll see you later.”

Lois and Clark watched him leave then stared at the file in their hands, “Well, now we have clue one.”

“Lois? CK? I thought you guys were working from home today.” Jimmy said when he saw the duo exit out of the elevator.

“Yeah, so did I,” Clark muttered throwing a look at Lois.

Lois ignored him and turned her attention to Jimmy, “Jimmy, get me everything you can on Diticom Technologies; Garrett Grady; and this Thomas Peters. I need anything you can find on them, on my desk asap!”

“You got it!” Jimmy headed towards the research department before Lois could think of anything else to add to the list.

“Lois, what in the Sam Hill are you doing here?” Perry hollered across the newsroom, “Kent, I thought I told you to make sure she takes it easy!”

“Easier said than done, Chief,” Clark remarked.

“Aw, hells bells, Lois, can’t you take it easy just one day?”

Lois just glared at Perry, “Perry, I am fine.”

“Fine is not going to cut it, Lois…”

“Perry, we got a break in the story,” Lois began.

Clark then interjected, “and Mad Dog Lane here is grounded to her desk.” Lois shot him a dirty look, but he ignored it. “Whether she likes it or not.”

Perry’s interest perked up, “What kind of break in the story?”

“The missing CEOs showed up in Hobbs Bay along with our missing guy from Diticom,” Lois explained. “Henderson was nice enough to drop by with the information.”

“Do they have any leads?”

“Well, the CEOs bodies are still being examined, but Peters was killed by a gunshot wound. Forensics is still going through everything.” Clark explained.

“CK? There’s a Detective Wolf on line one for you.” Jimmy interrupted.

Clark nodded and picked up the phone on Lois’ desk, “Clark Kent…..What? But that’s impossible! No, Superman scanned the whole building….Okay….Thanks.” He hung up the phone.

“What is it?” Lois asked.

“The Pulse Converter Grady had was a dummy.”

“What?”

“Yeah, it’s a plastic replica of the real pulse converter.”

“But…how? Why?”

“My guess is, Grady thought it was the real deal; which means the real thing is out there somewhere.”

“Couldn’t it just be a coincidence? I mean, how do we know this thing was even really built?” Perry interjected.

“Steve McBride was disintegrated into ashes, Chief. That’s the kind of destruction that NASA was predicting this Annihilator would be capable of.”

“Which means someone already built it and is possibly using Grady as a fall guy?” Lois interjected.

“Exactly.”

“All right, well stay on it, you two.” Perry then turned to Lois, “I don’t want to see you leaving this newsroom without your husband, is that clear?”

“But Perry…” Lois began to argue.

“No, buts…That’s an order!” With that, Perry walked back into his office.

Clark just laughed. “I don’t know why he has to be so over protective all the time,” Lois muttered. She turned to the file on her desk, “So, you want to take CEOs or Diticom?”

“Hmmm, I’ll take CEOs for fifty.” Clark joked, taking the file from her.

“His name is Leslie Luckabee.” Mr. Smith handed a newspaper to the two men standing in front of him, “He’s the new owner of the Daily Planet.”

“Do you want him brought here, or do we take him out ourselves?” one of the men asked.

Mr. Smith continued pruning the plant before him, “The Master wishes to have certain witnesses to Mr. Luckabee’s unfortunate demise.” He smiled at the men, “Therefore, you should take care of the situation above ground, and then forget you ever saw this place.”

The man nodded, “No problem. First, the MONEY!”

Mr. Smith was preoccupied trimming the bonsai before him, “In a moment, I’m almost done.”

“Doing what? Pruning that weed?” He laughed with the other man next to him.

Mr. Smith looked up at the two men with disgust, “This weed, as you call it is actually a two-hundred-year-old specimen tree, a bonsai.”

The man just scoffed, “Really?”

“Yes, really. It’s a living art form. Connoisseurs admire them for their heroic struggle to survive against external adversities. They actually consider them quite beautiful, despite their gnarled and twisted…and unsightly appearance.”

The man just scoffed again, “Still looks like a weed to me.” He then shouted. “The MONEY!”

Mr. Smith stood up, slightly angered by the man’s outburst. “Of course.” He pulled out a briefcase and placed it on the table before him. “Forgive me, I do go on.” He then sat back down and turned his attention back to the bonsai. The two men opened the briefcase, sifting through the money. “A hundred thousand dollars in bearer bonds was the agreed upon price, I believe?”

“When do you want the hit made?”

“Tonight.” Mr. Smith watched as the two men left. “Idiots.” He muttered under his breath. His phone rang and he turned his attention to the incoming phone call, “Mr. Rankin? Should I assume Vixen is ready? Of course. The money will be transferred to your account within the hour. Excellent.” He hung up the phone then turned his attention to the bonsai.

TBC...
Part 5 next.
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube