Collateral Damage
Folc4evernaday
Part 3

In the dark subway tunnels, the mysterious trolled figure sat at his desk, pruning a small plant. His phone rang beside him and he jumped, “Hello?”

“Everything is set to go according to plan, Mr. Smith. Grady still thinks this whole operation is about world peace.”

“Excellent.” He replied. “Expect your payment at the end of the week, Mr. Peters.”

“Of course,” Peters replied, “Uh, Mr. Smith?”

“Yes, Peters?”

“Mr. Grady…He isn’t going to really destroy …”

“That’s what we have Superman for, Mr. Peters,” Mr. Smith replied, annoyed. “Is there anything else?”

“No, Sir.”

Mr. Smith hung up the phone. “Idiot.”

It had been a long day. Lois and Clark had been working on getting to the bottom of McBride’s murder. “I just don’t get it. Why would someone pay McBride to put this …pulse converter up and then kill him?” Lois asked as they walked to the front desk of their favorite Chinese Restaurant, “Hong Kong Palace.”

“Well, maybe he was trying to back out of the deal. I just…I can’t but feel bad for his wife…I mean she has to raise her daughter all alone now because someone killed McBride…It’s so sad.” Clark suggested.

“I know, honey. Any story regarding children just tugs at my heartstrings too.” Lois pecked him on the cheek then turned back to the list Clark had. “Who all do we have on that list?”

“LemCo, Farber Industries, MacNamn Systems and Diticom…” Clark answered reading the list.

Lois backed into someone from behind. She turned around and found Jimmy staring at her apologetically, “Jimmy, what are you doing here?”

“Hi, guys, I just wanted to kinda get out…,” Jimmy explained sheepishly.

“I thought you were supposed to be covering the launch this evening.”

“I am. I just wanted to grab something to eat. I’ve still got a few hours.” Jimmy explained

“Well, why don’t you sit with us?” Lois asked.

“Well, they’re kinda booked. They said it’d be half an hour..” Jimmy began.

“Oh, nonsense.” Lois motioned to the hostess, three people. She nodded at them and motioned for them to follow.

They sat at the table and ordered their food. Clark noticed Jimmy’s distraught look, “Jimmy, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just really disappointed I guess, CK…”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Lois asked.

“Uh, not right now…” Jimmy explained. “I just..I need some time to sort stuff out in my head. So, you guys have any luck on the investigation into McBride’s murder?”

“We’ve narrowed it down to a couple of the buyers, but nothing concrete has shown up yet,” Lois explained.

“Jimmy?” a female voice interrupted their conversation. The trio looked up and saw Penny Barnes standing there.

“What are you doing here, Penny? How did you know I was here?”

“I..I followed you. Listen, I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…you have no idea…”

“Uh, should we leave?” Clark asked hesitantly. He recognized Penny as the crazy woman that attacked him last night.

“No, CK, stay. Penny was just leaving.” He remarked bitterly.

“Jimmy…” Penny began.

“Lois, come on, let’s give them some privacy..” Clark urged. He needed to tell her in private about Penny.

“Go? This is just getting good!” Lois exclaimed. At his look of disapproval, she relented, “Oh, all right. You know this is so unfair. Jimmy listens in on our conversations all the time…then the one time his personal life gets interesting….we have to do the decent thing and give him privacy..”

Penny stared at Lois and Clark’s retreating figures. “Your friends are lovely.”

“At least they know how to be friends…” Jimmy replied coldly.

“Jimmy…”

Lois followed Clark over to the bar, “What?”

“Lois, you remember that crazy woman from last night?” He asked, nodding his head towards Penny.

“Yeah, you said some crazy woman attacked you….” She noticed his gesture and her eyes widened. “Jimmy’s date??? HER??? She’s the one that…Oh, just wait until I get my hands on her! I’ll show her…”

Clark grabbed her by the shoulders and tried to get her to calm down, “Lois, I’m sure it was nothing personal..”

“Nothing personal? She lures my husband out of my house in the middle of the night like some sidewalk siren and you’re telling me it’s nothing personal?” Lois challenged.

Clark sighed, “Let’s just give Jimmy a chance to talk to her. He’s obviously very hurt about what happened between them last night…”

“Fine. We’ll get dinner to go….Again…” Lois relented. She headed over to the table and found Jimmy giving Penny the silent treatment. “Jimmy? We’ve got to head out..uh…”

“Birthday plans..” Clark interjected when she looked at him for help.

“Right. Birthday plans!” Lois said nervously.

“No, you guys don’t have to do that,” Jimmy interjected, then stared at Penny, “You need to go. My friends are making up lame excuses to leave because they think we need a moment. The moment is done. As I said before I don’t think we should see each other anymore.”

Penny looked at Jimmy tearfully before turning to leave. Lois and Clark watched uncomfortably as Jimmy grabbed a menu, “I’m feeling Kung Pao Chicken. What about you guys?”

Penny reached the corner outside the restaurant only to come face to face with three men with guns. “Wha..?” She reached in her purse for her own gun but stopped when a familiar face appeared, “Mister..Pe..Peters…?”

“Oooh, I wouldn’t recommend using that...” He said, cocking the trigger of a 9mm and aiming it at her. “Don’t even scream,”

“Follow us.” A man ordered.

“Was that really necessary?” Clark began hesitantly as he handed the check to the server with his card. Dinner had been awkward at the very least. Something had happened on Jimmy’s date with Penny but he had no idea what.

“She called me a ‘schmoe’” Jimmy said quietly.

“What?” Lois softened, looking at her friend in sympathy.

“I’m sorry, Jimmy,” Clark patted his shoulder. The server returned with Clark’s card and he took the check and card and signed as he spoke, “Sometimes people say the wrong things at the wrong time,”

“It wasn’t a slip-up. She had this crazy idea….” Jimmy shook his head, “Never mind, you guys would think its nuts. I think its nuts.”

“What’s nuts?” Lois asked.

Jimmy’s phone rang and he looked at the caller ID. “Diticom Technologies?”

“Who do you know there?” Lois asked.

“Penny?” Jimmy shrugged. He was about to reject the call but Lois stopped him. “Jimmy don’t. It could be important.”

“Fine,” He put the phone on speaker and heard sobbing in the background.

“Jimmy, please help! Jimmy, I’m so sorry. Help. Superman has to fly to the roof of Diticom Towers and wait for further instructions or you’ll never see me again….Please help me, Jimmy…”

Lois looked at Clark anxiously. He nodded, “Jimmy stay with Lois. I’m gonna see if I can find Superman.”

Jimmy nodded, “No sweat,” he said calling after him. Lois grabbed her purse and headed for the door. “Where are we going?”

“Diticom Technologies.” Lois said firmly.

“What???” Jimmy shook his head adamantly, “No way. CK will KILL me….”

“Your girlfriend is in trouble. I’m not going in…but I thought maybe you would want to.” Lois said.

Jimmy looked at her anguished. How he felt about Penny was so confusing. He cared about her, but the things she’d said. Lois was right. He wanted to do something to help. There was no telling why they wanted Superman on that roof….

“Oh, don’t try to struggle…it’ll only tighten your restraints,” Peters replied smugly. Penny was on the floor of a plush office at Diticom Technologies with her hands and feet tied up. Peters pressed a button on a remote and grinned. “Go ahead and scream. You can yell help Superman all day long and he won’t hear you.”

“Why are you doing this?” Penny sobbed. “I’m just a secretary…”

“Oh, from what I saw the other night. You’re much much more…” Peters grinned.

Penny looked at him in shock, “I …don’t know what you’re talking about,”

“Sure,” He nodded condescendingly, “Whatever helps you sleep at night,” With that he left, locking the door behind him. Penny hung her head in dismay. What had she gotten herself into?

In front of Diticom Technologies, Jimmy and Lois stepped out of the cab and looked around. “So, any sign of Superman?”

“I don’t see him,” Lois said looking up at the roof, “but it doesn’t mean he’s not here.”

“Right,” Jimmy nodded. “Where do you think they’ve got Penny?”

“I don’t know,” Lois shook her head, “Why don’t you take a look around. I’ll stay here and keep a look out.”

“But…” Jimmy began to argue.

“Jimmy, I’ll be fine. If I run into any trouble I’ll yell for help. I promise.”

Jimmy nodded, “I’ll call you when I find Penny.”

Lois nodded, watching Jimmy run through the lobby of Diticom Technologies. She looked around skeptically. What in the world could they want Superman for?

She watched Jimmy step on the elevator then turned around to find somewhere to sit down. Her back was killing her. She still wasn’t showing as much as she thought was typical for six months pregnant but she could definitely feel the aches and pains. “Don’t worry little one. Once daddy and Jimmy finish here we’ll go home and take a nice hot bath…”

A cold hard object pressed against her back as a hand wrapped around her throat, “Don’t even think about making a peep,” a sinister voice hissed in her ear.

Jimmy hid behind a cubicle as he watched two men roughly pushed Lois through the corridor, “Man CK is going to kill me…” he muttered to himself.

“Let go of me!” Lois screamed as she fought against the two men.

Jimmy steadied himself, looking around the room for something he could use as a weapon. He watched as the two men took Lois into an office and closed the door behind them. He scanned the rows of cubicles for a sign of any others that could be working with the other two men but saw nothing. “Here goes nothing…”

“Miss Lane!” Penny saw Lois being shoved into the room.

“Well, celebrated reporter, and close friend of the man of steel.” Garrett Grady grinned as Peters tied Lois up, connecting her ties to Penny’s to help prevent her from escaping.

Peters grinned, pushing a few buttons on the sliver remote, “Go ahead and yell all dayyou’re your boyfriend. No one will hear you scream.”

“Peters, let’s not get cocky…” Garrett Grady admonished, “Ms. Lane, I do apologize for my assistant’s behavior. He lacks the charisma to entertain guests..I’m sorry for the inconvenience of being kidnapped, but I need Superman’s cooperation.” Lois and Penny watched as Peters left the room leaving them with Garrett Grady.

“Superman? What does he have to do with this?” Lois asked curiously.

“I need him to install my pulse converter.” Grady grinned.

“So, you were the one that killed McBride…” Lois accused.

“Of course..” Grady acknowledged. “I needed a test subject and McBride wasn’t willing to keep with the plan…something about morals and ethics…Who needs him?”

“I don’t understand what we have to do with all this…” Penny argued.

“Ah, well you will…” Grady grinned. “Ms. Lane, have you two met? This is Peggy…”

“Penny...” Penny hissed angrily.

“Superman’s girlfriend…” Grady grinned impishly.

“Excuse me?” Lois asked dubiously.

“Well, I’m sure you two have a lot to catch up on… I’d love to stay and chat but I have a world to save.” Grady shut the door behind him, leaving Lois and alone with Penny.

Penny began to cry, “He made me do it…”

“Do what?” Lois asked.

“Made me call Superman…” Penny cried, “I just got his machine…”

“Pardon me???” Lois asked in exasperation. What could she possibly be referring to? There was no way Clark would…No not a chance.

“Nothing. I’m sorry. Nothing…” Penny continued to cry.

“Penny, this is no time to panic. Now, what did they want you to tell Superman?” Lois asked.

“Something about installing a pulse converter…meeting Mr. Grady on the roof…” Penny mumbled…”I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.”

“Okay, now is a good time to panic…” Lois said as she began to try and form a plan.

On the roof, Garrett Grady sat awaiting Superman’s arrival. “Superman, what took you so long?” He yanked a tarp off a machine that looked like a medium-sized satellite. “If you’ll just install my pulse converter…”

“Where is she?” Clark asked sternly.

“She?” Grady asked then grinned, “Oh, your girlfriend…”

Clark did his best not to react. Obviously Grady was seriously uninformed. His super hearing picked up a familiar sound, “Let go of me!”

‘Lois…’

Before he could even finish his sentence Clark grabbed Grady by the collar and lifted him off the ground, “You killed an innocent man…”

“Innocent? Oh, you mean, McBride…Superman, he was far from innocent…”

“He had a family…” Clark challenged. “You left his child without a father…for what?”

“World peace…” Grady stammered. “Superman I want what you want…peace on Earth…”

“Not at the price you are asking for…”

“My man has been instructed to do away with your girlfriend and Ms. Lane if you don’t do as I say…” Grady warned. “You have to decide if your price for world peace is worth it…”

Penny was still sobbing. “Jimmy hates me….” She was having a self-pity party. “He probably won’t even come…”

“What are you talking about?” Lois asked.

“Nothing…It’s nothing…”

“Look, we’ve got to get out of here. I need you to work with me Penny. I’m six months pregnant and not nearly as limber as I used to be.” Lois explained.

“Okay, what do you need me to do?”

“We’re going to stand up together and push up together then we’re going to get that remote…” Lois looked over her shoulder, “Are you with me?”

“Yes, Ms. Lane…” Penny nodded. “Let’s do this…”

“Okay, on three….One…Two…” They stood up, backs against each other. “Three.” Lois smiled back at Penny, “Okay, good. We’re standing. That’s half the battle.”

Penny nodded, “How are we going to untie these?” Penny wiggled her arm, tugging on Lois’ arm that was connected.

“Okay, the remote is over on that table so we’re going to have to jump to it.” Lois explained. “Here’s the rhythm. Na, na, na, na, duh, duh, duh…” She hummed. “Are you ready?”

Penny nodded, “Let’s do this!”

“Na, na, na, na, duh, duh, duh…” Lois hummed as they jumped to the table. “Good, good. Now, lets get the remote….Turn the soundproofing off and give a few healthy ‘Help Superman’s and get out of this mess.”

“I don’t know Ms. Lane. After the way I treated him I don’t think he’s coming…” Penny whimpered.

Lois shook her head. What was she talking about? “Penny, I told you before…no panicking...There’ll be plenty of time for that later…” Lois attempted to tug at the rope as she fumbled with the remote. “Now, which button did he press?”

“I think I can…” Penny tugged on the rope on her end as Lois pressed her end against the edge of the table.

Lois sighed in relief when she felt the tight knots loosen. “Oh, Thank God!” She sighed in relief as she slipped her wrist out of the binds and began to work on her feet. “See? A piece of cake…” She turned to grab the remote but was interrupted by the loud banging against the glass. They looked up and saw Jimmy standing outside the office. Lois smiled at the young man. “Jimmy to the rescue,”

Penny smiled happily, “He came!”

Lois nodded, “Jimmy, can you open the door?” she asked.

Jimmy motioned he couldn’t hear. Lois began pressing random buttons on the remote as she motioned for Jimmy to look at the circuit breaker. “That’s it Jimmy, just turn the whole thing off!”

“I can’t believe he came!” Penny squealed happily.

Lois looked at her incredulously, “Penny, we are not out of this yet!” She saw a dark figure walk up behind Jimmy, “Oh, no, Jimmy!!!”

The echoes of Lois and Penny’s voices reached Clark’s ears and he sighed in relief, “Jimmy!!” It seemed Jimmy had come to the rescue.

Confident his wife and child would be safe in Jimmy’s hands he stared Grady down. “I suggest you make a decision, Superman…” Grady warned.

“I already have!” He grabbed Grady by the neck and hoisted him up in the air.

Grady reached for his phone and began to dial, “Wrong decision!”

Clark grabbed the phone and crushed it, “I don’t think so!” Grabbing Grady by the waist he flew into the sky with him and disappeared. He would return later for Lois and Jimmy, but he needed to take care of Grady now.

Punch after punch. Jimmy ducked and weaved as he tried to dodge Peters. He looked around the room for anything he could use to his advantage. He spotted Penny’s board of Superman and threw it at him as he jumped across the room to land on another desk.

He needed an advantage. This guy was bigger and stronger than him. He looked over to the wall the office was on and saw the circuit breaker for the office was still open. He headed towards it.

Penny and Lois watched from the window of the office, “Something on here has to help…” Lois mumbled, pressing random buttons. A miniature satellite popped out of the wall and Lois panicked, “Duck!!”

A beam shot across the room and hit the door, breaking it in half. Lois looked back at Penny, “I guess that’ll work.” The lights all went dark and Lois struggled to find her bearings, “Penny?”

“I knew he would do it.” Penny gushed. She headed toward the hallway where Jimmy stood. She moved to hug him. “You came!” The emergency lights illuminated the office where Jimmy stood.

Lois watched the couple with a smile. Maybe there was hope for Jimmy after all. She saw the man that had been after Jimmy before heading towards them, “Jimmy look out!!”

Jimmy pushed Penny out of the way as Peters headed towards them with a gun, “It’s been fun kid…”

“No!!!” Penny cried.

Peters aimed the gun at Jimmy as Jimmy held his hands up in defeat. Peters cocked the trigger and then was knocked to the ground by Clark. Peters reached for the gun but Clark kicked it out of the way, stepping on his hand, “Don’t even think about it!”

“CK!!” Jimmy cheered happily before backpedaling, realizing he hadn’t been able to do the one thing his friend had asked him to do; keep Lois safe. “I can…totally explain…”

Clark held up a hand and looked around the room, “We can talk about it later. Where’s Lois?”

“Right here,” Lois said, stepping out of the office as she hung up her cell phone. “The police are on their way.”

Clark nodded, “Superman already took Garrett Grady to the police station.” Peters hung his head in defeat, realizing he had been unable to fulfill his responsibilities. “I guess they can add another person to his cell…”

“Everyone freeze!” the officers called out with their guns raised.

“That’s him!” Detective Ryder instructed, pointing at Peters who was still pinned down with Clark’s foot on his hand. “Put the guns down. Everyone else is okay.”

As the officers approached, hoisting Peters up, Clark turned to Lois, wrapping her in his arms. “Are you all right? Is the baby…?”

Lois met his gaze and smiled, placing a hand on his chest, “We’re fine.” She leaned up to kiss him.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again…” he warned, holding her close.

Jimmy and Penny who had been watching Lois and Clark quietly turned towards one another solemnly, “They seem to really love each other…” Penny observed. “I guess those rumors weren’t true…”

“Penny, for the last time I am NOT…”

Penny held up her hand and nodded. “I get it. I’m sorry…for everything. I’m just glad you came…”

He turned to Penny surprised. He wrestled with his feelings towards her, “Of course I came. I had to. I couldn’t let anything happen to you…”

“Oh, Jimmy…” Penny kissed him passionately.

Jimmy pushed her away. “I still haven’t forgiven you, Penny. I don’t know if I ever will.” He walked away from her and turned to Lois and Clark as they watched the officers survey the scene. “Lois, next time you’re staying with me. Only you could end up kidnapped trying to stay OUT of trouble.”

Lois grinned back at him, “Thanks, Jimmy…”

“I’m going to head out of here…” Jimmy said, pointing to the door. “See you guys later…”

“Good night, Jimmy,” Clark patted him on the shoulder, “and thank you.”

Jimmy nodded, “No thank YOU. You saved my butt.”

“You saved my family.” He responded softly, holding Lois close. “Thank you,”

Angela Cross watched the news report of Garrett Grady’s arrest with a smile. She pulled out her phone and dialed an all too familiar number. After brief niceties, she got down to business.“Everything is going according to plan, Mr. Smith.” Angela Cross gushed. “Do you think Mr. Grady realized he had been duped at the end?”

“I’m sure the thought will cross his mind from time to time, Mrs. Cross, but not to worry. He will be silenced. No one can be left alive that will link us to Caribbean Imports.” Mr. Smith remarked.

“Good. Keep me posted on the rest of the plan. I want to be there to watch Superman fall.” Angela gushed.

“Of course,” Mr. Smith replied.

“Well, that was one of the more interesting birthdays I’ve had..” Clark laughed as they made their way through the corridors of their townhome.

“You sure you didn’t want a big birthday party…everyone singing happy birthday…blowing out candles…” She teased as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

Clark laughed as he struggled to unlock the door. She was nuzzling the neck. “No, I like this much better. You all to myself…No distractions…” He kissed her lightly.

“Wow, I’m your birthday present…that’s a lot of pressure for a girl, Mr. Kent.” She teased.

“I’m sure you’re up to the task, Mrs. Kent.” He replied capturing her mouth in a fiery kiss.

“Oh, Clark, right there.” She urged on as he began caressing her body. He struggled to remain focused on unlocking the door. “Clark, we need to unlock the door, honey…”

“Why?” he complained.

“Because you can’t unwrap your gift in the middle of the hallway…” she murmured as she molded her body against his.

A moment later they were inside. He had rolled them on the floor and kicked the door closed. “Lois..” he moaned in pleasure as he felt her tug at his dress shirt to remove it from its neatly tucked home. “God, you’re so beautiful.” He murmured against her lips.

“Oh, yes, Clark…” she moaned, wrapping her legs around his waist.

“SURPRISE!!” Lois and Clark were broken from their reverie by the entire Daily Planet staff which now stood in their living room. A banner displaying, ‘Happy Birthday, Clark’ was hanging from the ceiling and Perry stood in the middle of the room along with Jimmy and Martha and Jonathan. They all wore an amused look on their faces.

Clark lifted them up from their position on the floor. He stood up, helping Lois to her feet and hurriedly moved to cover his wife from being seen in a state of undress. She worked quickly to button up her blouse while he adjusted his dress shirt.

“I figured the only way I would be able to throw a surprise party for you would be to surprise both of you,” Perry said with a glint in his eyes. “So, did it work? Are you surprised?” he winked at the couple.

Lois and Clark wore embarrassed expressions as they tried to work up the nerve to speak, “Uh, yeah..”

“Stunned!” Lois added.

“Good. Let’s have some cake.” Perry grinned at the couple. “Don’t worry. We’ll only be here for an hour. Then you two can pick up where you left off.” He winked at them causing Lois and Clark to turn even more red with embarrassment. It was going to be a long night.

Lois and Clark sat at the counter in the kitchen, trying to avoid the rest of the staff. Both were embarrassed about being caught in the act by their co-workers. The party was in full swing with music and dancing out in the living room. “I cannot believe Perry did this.” Lois groaned. ”I mean if he was going to plan a surprise party for you, he could have at least included me…”

“Well, we have been pretty busy lately.” Clark acknowledged.

“Do you think if we hide in here long enough they’ll just forget about us?” Lois asked, yawning. It had been three hours. Perry had promised they’d only be here for an hour, but that had turned into three.

“I don’t know. Are you okay, honey?”

“Yeah, I guess I’m just getting tired.” Lois acknowledged.

“Hey, you two, what are you doing in here?” Perry asked, poking his head through the double doors, “The party’s out here!”

“We’re coming, Chief.” Clark sighed. “So much for hiding..” he muttered under his breath.

They reluctantly followed Perry out into the living room. Everyone was dancing and having a good time. They tried to join in with the festivities, but it was a bit hard. Lois was exhausted; she didn’t look good. None of this was lost on Clark.

“Honey, you okay?” Clark asked, pulling Lois into his arms.

She sleepily looked up at him and nodded, “I think I’m just tired…I guess you’ll have to take a rain check on your birthday present.” She apologized.

“Honey, I’m not worried about that. You just look like you’re kinda out of it…Do you want to go lie down?”

“Hey, Lois, CK, great party!” Jimmy slapped Clark on the back, “Sorry about the timing…I guess it could have been better, huh?”

“Yeah…” Lois began to feel a bit dizzy; she tightened her grip around Clark’s waist.

“Honey?”

“Hey, Lois, wait until everyone leaves before you start canoodling with your husband, would ya? We see enough at the office.” Ralph said, walking up to the couple.

The room began to spin. She felt tightness in her throat as she struggled to breathe.

“Hey, Lois, are you okay?” Jimmy’s voice echoed.

“Lois…Hey, honey, look at me…” Clark held her as the room spun around. She could hear the voices around her. She wasn’t sure what was happening. The colors began to spin; she felt her knees give out and fell into her husband’s arms. “Lois?” the echo of Clark’s voice penetrated through the chaos swarming through her mind before everything went black.

TBC...

Part 4 next.
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube