Collateral Damage
Folc4evernaday
Part 1

NOTE: This is an older story that was originally part of my NFIC series "What the Hey" that later got edited down for PG-13 rating on the archives. I keep getting emails requesting the PG version so I figured I'd go ahead and post it here while waiting on it to be put on the archive list.

WARNING: It will NOT make sense unless you read the other two:
What the Hey You Can't Have Everything (Rewrite of Season 4's Sex, Lies and Videotape)
Doe For President? (Rewrite of Meet John Doe and Lois and Clarks)

Part 1:

Collateral Damage
Folc4evernaday (folc4evernaday@gmail.com)
Rated: PG-13
Description: In the conclusion to the “What the Hey” series, Lois and Clark go head to head with a mysterious new enemy as an unknown superhero makes her way to Metropolis. Is everything as it seems or is there more to the story?(Part 3 of 3)

One Month Later…

Penelope Barnes was sitting in the secretary pool at Grady Technologies once again explaining her fascination with the Man of Steel to her friend, Doris. She didn’t understand Penny's obsession with pursuing Superman when there were so many eligible suitors out there. The problem was Penny didn’t want just any man; she wanted Superman.

“Penny, look at you; you’re a beautiful girl. Smart. Educated. You bowl two-eighty. You could have your pick of guys... why waste your time with some fantasy?” Doris asked.

“Superman is not just some fantasy, Doris. Under all that spandex, beats the heart of a man.”

Doris rolled her eyes, “You’re still laboring on this idea that Superman has some sort of secret identity?”

“Well, doesn’t it make sense? How else would someone like him ever hope to lead any kind of normal life?” Penny remarked.

Doris just rolled her eyes, “If that’s true, I don’t know how you expect to find out what it is. He probably has a secret identity for a reason you know.”

Penny ignored Doris’ comment, “I can keep a secret.”

“Sure, but how do you plan to discover his secret?”

“By using modern criminology techniques— First, I’ve constructed a psychological profile of the Man of Steel. I’ve taken that profile and factored my theory of a secret identity. He’s early to mid-twenties. Possibly, thirties. Probably, a professional connected to mass communication. I’ve fed all this information into the computer, cross-referenced with everything we know about Superman. At this point, it simply becomes about numbers. The computer takes over, digests the information and arrives at the most likely result.” Penny’s computer began sifting through various photographs and articles of Superman as she began to run the program.

Doris just shook her head, “I still think you’d have a better time at Club L7 with us, but whatever makes you happy. Just be careful.” Doris went to leave; leaving Penny to her thoughts as the system began blinking. A match was found. Ninety-seven percent match: James B. Olsen.

Penny smiled as she looked at the picture on her screen, “Well, let’s see if we can make it a hundred.” She kissed her index finger and placed it over the image of Jimmy on her screen.

“Isn’t this incredible, Steve?” Garrett Grady asked, motioning to the display he had set up in his office. He had just demonstrated the destruction his annihilator could perform.

“Uh, yeah,” Steve McBride managed. He wasn’t too keen on this idea anymore. When he had been offered the opportunity to make a few extra bucks earlier he had been desperate. His wife had just left him, and he saw no other way to dig himself out of the financial hole a potential divorce would leave him in. Now, however, he and Lisa had worked things out, and they were trying to move towards reconciliation. He couldn’t live with himself if he was responsible for the destruction of millions… “Listen, Mr. Grady, about that. I’ve been thinking..."

“You’re having second thoughts? It’s only natural,” Grady assured, “but Steve, remember our dream. With this satellite, we can keep countries from declaring war…”

“By threatening to blow them up...." anguished Steve McBride, "Mr. Grady, that’s un-American.”

“No, Steve-o, un-American would be to allow the world to annihilate itself. Once my pulse converter has been installed on its platform nations will beat their swords into plowshares! Mankind will live in perfect, blessed brotherhood! Or I’ll blast them all to hell!”

“Right. I’ve decided to go along with the mission as planned. I can’t be a part of this.”

“But Steve-o, want to tear down my satellite platform!” Grady watched Steve McBride exit his office and turned to his assistant, “Peters?”

“Yes, Mr. Grady?”

“We need to test the pulse converter to make sure it's in working order. I know the perfect test subject.” A look of hatred poured over his face, as he stared at the empty space, Steve McBride had just vacated.

Lois and Clark sat across from Martha and Jonathan at the breakfast table. Lois was drumming her fingers lightly on the table, unsure of how to bring up the subject of her pregnancy. Martha and Jonathan looked up at them expectantly whenever Clark cleared his throat nervously. He didn’t seem to be able to form the words, so they would then continue reading the newspaper. The pattern had continued at least half a dozen times now, and Lois was slowly losing her patience with the situation.

Martha watched Lois and Clark bemused. She knew they had something they needed to tell them, but Clark seemed tongue-tied to be able to tell them and Lois obviously wasn’t very forthcoming with the information either. She sighed as she read the paper. Perhaps they needed a shove in the right direction? “Are you all right, Clark?”

“Uh, yeah, I’m fine. I just— we need to tell you something.”

“What is it, son?” Jonathan asked, placing the paper down. He always found it amusing whenever Clark was nervous about something, and this had to be big because Lois wasn’t her usual forthcoming self with the information either.

“Well, we have some news…” Clark edged cautiously.

Martha nodded, “Is everything all right? You said your powers had returned…”

Clark took a deep breath and decided to blurt it out. “No, mom. Nothing like that. I’m sorry if we’ve worried you. I guess there’s no other way to put it. You see—" he cut himself off. His super hearing picked up the sounds of a bank alarm. “I gotta go. Bank alarm. We’ll finish this as soon as I get back.” He stood up and spun into his Superman suit. Within a blink of the eye, he was gone, leaving a perturbed wife and mother behind as Jonathan continued to read the paper.

Martha stared at the empty seat Clark had vacated, “Sometimes I think he does that on purpose.”

Outside Metropolis Bank, was a shoot-out. Two men ran outside of the bank, carrying bags of money from the bank. They raced to their getaway car and cranked the engine. Once the car had started they pressed the accelerator only to find they weren’t moving. They tried once more and found no movement again. They looked behind them and found Superman sitting behind the car; his foot was propped up on the rear bumper, keeping the car from moving. He just waved.

The men looked at one another for a moment.

FLASH.

A moment later they found themselves sitting in the backseat of a patrol car without their weapons and the money they had stolen gone. They looked around in surprise. A woman stood in black leather with a gold ‘V’ over her chest. She handed the weapons and the money to a nearby officer. “Is there anything else I can do for you, officers?”

The surrounding officers shook their heads ‘no,' and in a flash she was gone, leaving a bewildered Superman and Metropolis P. D. in her wake.

Clark returned a half an hour later and found Martha and Jonathan in the living room with Lois laughing together. “He did not…” Lois laughed.

“Yes, he was determined that Santa was living in the fireplace so every time we went to light it; he would scream bloody murder. ‘STOP! You’re going to kill Santa!’ We finally had to set him straight on the myth of Santa.” Martha laughed.

Clark wrapped his arms around Lois from behind as he entered the room, “What mischief are you all up to?”

“Mischief???” Lois scoffed, “I’ve been entertaining while you have been off saving the world. You better have an exclusive for me. You leave your poor parents here on the edge of their seat like that and…” she was cut off by her mouth being captured by his.

He slowly broke off the kiss. “I apologize from the bottom of my heart. Yes, I have an exclusive for you, but I’ll tell you about it later. Now, before anyone else needs saving let me get this out. Lois seems to have developed some complications with the pregnancy…”

At Martha and Jonathan’s concerned look, Lois continued for Clark, “I have something called, preeclampsia. It’s a pregnancy disorder.”

“How serious is it?”

“It’s very serious,” Clark replied solemnly. “Lois has to avoid stressful situations at all costs. She had a close-call with the venture with Tempus. We aren’t sure what prompted her bout with nausea a few months earlier either. She hadn’t been having morning sickenss for a while and then it was back full force. It could be the preeclampsia-- or it could be just normal pregnancy symptoms. We don’t know.”

“We also have a lot of unknown factors in regard to Clark’s heritage as well. We don’t know if this pregnancy is absolutely normal, or if it may differ due to the Kryptonian genes.” Lois replied.

“Oh, my—what are you going to do? Have you seen a doctor yet?” Martha asked.

“We have a doctor picked out. She’s the best in her field. My dad recommended her.” Lois explained.

“Is that safe? What if your doctor detects something?” Jonathan asked, concerned.

“We’ll have Dr. Klein take a look over Lois since he’s the only one that is specialized in my physiology—we need to make sure the pregnancy itself will be normal.” Clark replied.

“My biggest concern right now is Lois and the health of our child. I’m sorry we didn’t tell you guys sooner. It’s just been one thing after another…We just haven’t had the time to think let alone tell everyone properly.”

“We understand,” Martha replied. She moved to embrace them both. “It’ll be okay. I just know it. I don’t care what any doctor says. I know you and this baby will be fine.” She couldn’t hide the smile on her face. The tears in her eyes were evident, but she brushed them away. She refused to allow herself to believe Lois would be allowed to carry a child as special as this and have it snatched away as quickly as it came. She was going to be a grandmother. She wouldn’t allow her mind to dwell on these negative thoughts.

Lois and Clark smiled sadly at her, hoping her excitement would not soon be dampened with the news of the passing of her grandchild and/or daughter-in-law. Neither of them wanted to go into the details of how lethal preeclampsia was to Lois.

The Daily Planet was usually filled with a frenzy of activity; reporters scurrying about, Perry White bellowing across the newsroom, and the sound of phones ringing off the hook. This was not the case on the weekend; however, many worked only half days on the weekend. One of those happened to be Jimmy Olsen.

He was working on research orders that had been backed up in the past few weeks. The phone rang on his desk, and he looked at it suspiciously. Who could be calling him? He picked up the phone, “James Olsen.”

Penny smiled over the phone as she spoke.“Mr. Olsen? My name is Penny Barnebeedian. I’m a student at Metropolis University. Journalism Major. One of our assignments is to interview a working journalist, and I was wondering..."

“Lane and Kent are off today, Ms. Barnebeedian…if you want to leave a number?”

“Oh, no, not them. You. I want to interview you.”

“Me? Uh, do you know what it is I do here?”

“I thought you would tell me about it over lunch.”

“Lunch?”

“You do eat lunch, don’t you?”

“Good. The Roma Café; one o’clock…”

“Okay.”

“Great. See you then.” Penny hung up the phone and smiled to herself.

Back at the Daily Planet Jimmy hung up the phone, shaking his head to himself. “Wow…” he murmured.

Martha and Jonathan went out for a movie, leaving Lois and Clark by themselves. Lois lay in bed with Clark, lazily tracing random patterns on his arm. It had been mind-boggling to listen to the list of things they needed to do to prepare for their child. It was hard because, in the back of their minds, they were wondering if they should even get their hopes up.

Once his parents had left they had taken full advantage of the empty house and made love in a frenzy, blocking out the pain of possibly losing their unborn child, and finding solace in one another’s arms. “Mmmm…I love Sundays.” She laid her head on his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat.

“Yeah, things are definitely a lot quieter on the weekend.”

“Well, Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest.”

Clark laughed. “Tell that to the criminals that broke into that bank earlier. Who robs a bank on a Sunday?”

“Well, no one’s there except the manager," Lois commented then remembered his statement from earlier. “What happened? You mentioned something about an exclusive.”

Clark immediately remembered, “Yeah.…uh, it was weird. I got there and stopped the bank robbers, then I went to get them out of the getaway car and the next thing I knew they were sitting in the patrol cars.”

“What? How did that happen?”

“A mysterious …woman…”

“A woman? Did you get a name?”

“No. She stayed long enough to make sure the criminals were taken care of then left. I tried to keep up with her but…”

“But what?”

“She’s fast.”

“Fast?”

“Superman fast.”

“How is that even possible?”

“I don’t know. As far as I know all the New Kryptonians went back to New Krypton with Ching and Zara…I have no idea where she came from or who she is.”

“Hmmm…I guess we’ll put that on the agenda for tomorrow.” She murmured sleepily, nuzzling against his chest.

“Oh? And what about today.”

“Enough stress for today. I just want to lay here with you.”

“What stress?” he teased.

“We told your parents about the preeclampsia. That’s enough stress for today.” She nuzzled his neck lightly.

“So, no chasing down criminals or this mysterious woman?”

Lois shook her head ‘no’ and smiled up at him. “We can pound the pavement tomorrow. After the chaos these past few months, I need to relax a bit.”

“Mmmm.” He kissed the top of her head. “Relax?? I didn’t know that word was a part of Mad Dog Lane’s vocabulary.”

“It’s not. I’m not Mad Dog Lane.” She curled up tightly against his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat. “Mad Dog Lane took the day off. You’re just stuck with Lois Lane Kent.”

He smiled against her cheek, “Well; I happen to think Lois Lane Kent is very sexy.” He placed a kiss on her cheek, “and beautiful,” another kiss on the opposite cheek, “and gorgeous.” He kissed her lightly on the mouth.

“Mmmm…I guess it’s a good thing I’m Mrs. Kent, or else I’d be jealous.” He laughed at her remark and kissed her once more. She kissed him back enthusiastically; linking her arms around his neck as she slowly broke off the kiss. She snuggled against his chest and sighed. “I don’t know why I’m so tired lately.”

“Could be nerves…or it could just be the pregnancy. Mmmm, we have that appointment this week with Dr. Pierce…She can answer all these questions then…”

“Mmmm hmm. When do you want to talk to Dr. Klein?”

“Uh, we should probably talk to him before we go to that appointment, huh?”

“Yeah.” He smiled at her. “That would be wise.”

She was quiet for a moment as she contemplated a good time to discuss the preeclampsia and the pregnancy with Dr. Klein. “How about we try to see him tomorrow?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Clark leaned down to kiss her.

She enthusiastically returned the kiss and began to deepen it when he pulled away slightly. She immediately recognized the look, “What?”

“There’s a car on fire in front of the Roma Café. I gotta go.” He pulled away from her embrace and spun into the Superman suit. “I’ll be back as soon as I can. Get some rest.” He kissed her on the forehead and was out the window before she could blink an eye.

“Love you.” She murmured. She lovingly caressed her abdomen where what used to be a small bump had grown to a very noticeable and prominent baby bump. “Daddy does that a lot. You’ll get used to it, though.”

At the café, Jimmy stood outside waiting for Penny. He wasn’t sure what to expect from this journalism student. Who would want to interview him for an assignment? He was just a gopher and sometimes photographer. What information would he have to offer for a journalism assignment?

“James Olsen?” Penny approached Jimmy from behind.

Jimmy turned around and saw Penny standing behind him with her hand extended out for him to shake. He did a double-take as he absorbed her beauty. He had never seen a woman so beautiful in his life. She had blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes he had ever seen. “Uh, Jimmy. Just Jimmy.” He took her hand in his and held it a moment longer than necessary. He noticed her gaze on him.

“I thought you’d be taller,” She remarked.

“I can be taller…” he dazzled her with a smile and stood on his toes.

She smiled back, “Right. Boots…”

The hostess called them to their table, and they made their way to their seats. He was nervous. He wasn’t accustomed to being in the company of such a beautiful woman. It had taken him three years to get used to being around Lois and even then he still had his moments…

He watched as several men passed by their table admiring Penny, but she paid them no mind. He felt like he was on cloud nine. He was the envy of all the men in this restaurant. By all appearances, it seemed he was on a date with this beautiful woman. He knew she was only here in a professional capacity, but he could always dream. He knew he would never have a chance with a woman as beautiful as Penny.

Penny sat across from him, notepad in hand as she began to ask him a few questions. “So, when did you start working for the Daily Planet?”

“A little over four years ago; I started as an office-grunt…moved up to photo assistant. Of course over the years I’ve worked up the ranks. So, now I’m....Junior Assistant City Editor.”

Penny nodded at his answer and looked down at the notebook she was taking notes in. She checked an item off in her notebook. ‘Superman appeared four years ago.’ She then turned her attention back to Jimmy, “Uh-huh. You and Lois Lane…you get along?”

“Lois? Oh, yeah, Lois and I are total buds. I always seem to get the exclusives from following her and CK around. She has got a nose for trouble…I tell you…”

“CK?”

“Oh, Clark Kent…He’s one of my best friends.”

Penny nodded. “Of course. You two are friends?”

“Yeah. CK just…He’s something else really. I mean, he’s always got my back no matter what….Even when I stick my foot in my mouth…which I seem to do a lot….I think he’s the only reason Lois hasn’t killed me yet…that or CK’s rubbed off on her…” He shrugged. “I’m sorry…It’s been a stressful few months…I just…I’m really grateful for my friendship with him and Lois you know?”

“So it would seem. So, you’re close friends with Lois Lane and Clark Kent…what about Superman?”

“What about him?” Jimmy asked confused.

“You and he close?” Penny asked.

Jimmy grinned and intertwined his fingers for emphasis, “Like that.”

“At least…” Penny murmured under her breath.

“Well, I mean, he and CK are best friends…”

“Friends? Tell me, Jimmy, do you have a lot of friends?”

“Well, there’s Lois and CK…like I said…We’re pretty tight. …and the Chief’s been there for me like a father…”

“The Chief?”

“Oh, Perry White. He’s the Editor of the Daily Planet…we call him the Chief. Kind of a nickname.”

“What about other relationships?”

“Pardon?” The conversation was directed to a lot more personal aspects of his life. He wasn’t sure, but he could swear she was flirting with him.

“I imagine in your line of work it’s tough to maintain a…romance.” Her fingers lightly caressed his hand from across the table as she gazed into his eyes.

Jimmy took in a deep breath before looking away, “Romance? Well, funny you should mention that. This last year alone there’ve been a lot...I mean, not a lot… Several..is…the wrong word.” He raked a hand through his hair as he struggled to come up with the right words. “It’s just my schedule is so unpredictable than most women…My social life’s in the pits, to be honest.”

He caught her gaze for a moment. Those eyes….He could drown in them. He had no idea what had come over him. How had he ended up pouring his heart out to this woman without a second thought? He didn’t even know her…he didn’t care.

The sound of squealing tires and the impact of two cars interrupted them. He looked across the street and saw a car that crashed into a fire hydrant. The car’s front end burst into flames. “Oh, my God! Excuse me, I'd better call 911.” He ran for the nearest phone and was gone.

Penny watched as Superman descended on the scene. He used his super-breath to put out the fire, and he removed the door to the car and safely removed the driver from the wreckage. At this point, the police and ambulance had arrived, and Superman laid the driver on the gurney. Two ambulatory workers carried the injured driver to the ambulance. After making sure everything was all right, Superman left the scene.

Jimmy ran back to Penny, “Sorry that took so long. I didn’t mean to run off like that I just…”

He couldn’t speak anymore. Penny’s lips descended upon his. He had never experienced a kiss with such passion behind it. She slowly broke the kiss off and looked at him with heated desire. “I’ll confess, Jimmy, I don’t have much of a social life myself. But that’s because I’ve been waiting for that certain someone.” She pulled out her card and winked at him. “Here’s my number. You were wonderful. I can’t wait to see you in your blue suit again.”

Penny walked away, and Jimmy watched her with interest. “I don’t even own a blue suit. But I’ll definitely get one.”

LNN reports flashed across the screen. Footage from the foiled bank robbery appeared on the screen as the Chief of Police addressed the media, “One minute we're in a shoot-out, then whoosh, the perpetrators in the back of our unit—and there she stood in all her glory, like Wonder Woman or something. Only in leather and with a gold “V” on her, …you know…her chest area…Even Superman was surprised.”

Angela Cross clicked off the television angrily. “Great. As if I don’t have enough problems with one Superhero…” She picked up the phone and dialed. “Get me Mr. Smith…Yes, tell him it’s Angela Cross…What is the meaning of this? I thought you said your plan was fool proof. How are we supposed to get rid of Superman with this new superhero in Metropolis?.....What?” She laughed. “That is brilliant. I’ve misjudged you…”

At the Daily Planet, the same coverage was being broadcast throughout the newsroom, “—and there she stood in all her glory, like Wonder Woman or something. Only in leather and with a gold “V” on her, …you know…her chest area…Even Superman was surprised.”

Jimmy who was wearing a very sharp blue suit turned to Lois and Clark as they walked up to him. “Wow! Hey, CK, did you hear about this new super-chick?” He noticed Lois who was giving him a stern look. “I mean, gal?..Woman?...In town?”

Clark ignored Jimmy’s remark, noticing Jimmy’s attire. “Nice suit, Jimmy, very blue.”

“Oh, thanks, I’m kinda breaking it in. I got a date tonight. This girl…She made the first move..she made all the moves...She’s..”

Lois interrupted Jimmy’s rant, “I hate to interrupt the male bonding here, but we do have work to do. Jimmy, I have some research for you to do.”

“Sure. You name it.”

“Two things. Steve McBride has gone missing. I need you to run a background check on him. Find out anything you can on him…Ex-spouses, friends who may have had a falling out …Anyone that may have wanted to harm him..”

“You got it.”

“Also, the heads of three of the top corporations in Metropolis have mysteriously disappeared in the last forty-eight hours. Run a cross reference and see what connections you come up with. I have a feeling they’re connected somehow.”

“I'm on it.” Jimmy took the files from Lois and headed to his desk.

Lois turned to Clark, “So, where do we start?”

“Hmm…new superhero or missing astronaut?” he weighed his hands back and forth in the air. “Tough choice.”

“Let’s start out with McBride…see what we can dig up. I have no idea how to even begin investigating this new superhero.” Lois replied, taking a seat at her desk. “Maybe we can ask for some ‘super’ help…” she whispered as Clark took a seat on the edge of her desk. “I can make it worth your while…”

Clark smiled, leaning towards her with a grin, “I know you can, baby…anytime…anywhere…” he whispered back.

She leaned towards him and traced the path of his tie down to the waistband of his trousers, seductively teasing him with her fingertips “Don’t make promises you can’t deliver on Mr. Kent.”

“Oh, I can …” he was cut off by the familiar look crossing his face. He shook his head, “Hostage situation…”

“Be careful,” she kissed him before pushing him off the edge of her desk to head for the staircase.

“He seems like he’s in a hurry,” a voice from behind her said.

Lois turned around to see Leslie standing behind her. How long had he been standing there? “Uh, Mr. Luckabee…Hi!” She brushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear. Had he heard her earlier when she had been teasing Clark?

“I wanted to stop by and check how everything was going. I had somethings to take care of down under.” Leslie said, taking a seat next to her desk.

“Down under?” Lois asked confused.

“Australian.” He prompted.

“Right,” Lois nodded. “Well, Clark is chasing a lead and I’m…”

“Lois, another CEO just disappeared…” Jimmy interrupted.

“…chasing another lead.” She said quickly, gathering her things. “Jimmy, why don’t you come with me?”

“Really?” Jimmy asked excited.

She grabbed a pen on her desk and scribbled a note to place on Clark’s desk. At Jimmy’s confused expression she said, “I’m carrying precious cargo and have a very over protective husband… No need to worry him.”

“Still hard to picture you guys as parents.” Jimmy grinned as Lois placed her note on Clark’s keyboard then turned to head towards the elevators.

“Tell me about it,” She pushed the call button and headed to the Lobby with Jimmy in tow. Neither of them noticed Leslie reach for the note that she’d left on Clark’s desk.

Underneath the subway tunnels of Metropolis a man—the missing bank chairman-- in his late 40’s sat tied to a chair. He began to stir, trying to take in his surroundings. “Wha—Where am I?”

A troll-like figure stood by a large board showing a map of Metropolis that had certain buildings marked in red. He looked over at the man in the chair and smiled. “Ah, regaining your wits I see.”

“Who are you? Where am I?”

“Who I am is not nearly as relevant as who you are. Who you are is someone who betrayed the master and took full advantage of his downfall, which brings us to your second query—what you’re doing here”

“What Master?” the bank chairman asked confused, “I have no idea what you’re talking about. I demand you release me at once.”

“I’m afraid your days of demanding are over. Your demise, of course, will leave your banks ripe for a hostile takeover which I will orchestrate in my quest to rebuild what was once Metropolis’ greatest empire! An empire so powerful and so brilliantly pieced together that no one dared challenge it, until--” the Troll figure turned to the balding man once more. “Sorry to talk your ear off. I don’t get out much you know.” He walked over to the chairman and placed two jumper cables on the metallic chair the chairman was sitting in.

The chairman looked at the troll figure anxiously, “No, no, it’s okay, really. Talk all you want. I’m in no hurry.” He looked at the map and noticed the companies on the map that had been marked, “Wait a minute, you put all those companies together and you’d have…I know who your master is!”

The troll figured man smiled, “I’m glad. He’d want you to know.” At that moment, a train ran through the subway station above and a spark ignited causing the bank chairman to be electrocuted. His cries echoed through the underground subway tunnels; the sound of the train running its course whistled through the tunnels as well, muffling the bank chairman’s cries.

Clark stepped back in the newsroom looking for Lois. He saw Leslie talking with Perry and asked, “Anyone seen Lois?”

Perry looked around, “She was here a few minutes ago,”

“I’m sure she’s around here somewhere,” Leslie said with a grin then turned back to Perry, “So about this layout…”

Clark looked around the newsroom in concern. It wasn’t like Lois to just disappear without some kind of indication of where she was. Where could she be?

“Still no leads?” Lois asked Inspector Henderson as they stood outside the police line that had been marked off in front of the ATM machine.

Inspector Henderson sighed, “Nope,” He looked around, “I’ve got plenty of witnesses but nothing to go on. Chairman takes two steps off the pavement and then literally vanishes into thin air.”

“Kinda like a Scotty beam me up, huh?” Jimmy joked. When he noticed Lois and Henderson weren’t smiling he sighed, “…or not.”

A sonic boom could be heard in the alley around the corner. Lois looked around, knowing that sound anywhere. “Clark!” she waved at him when he walked up to them. He caught her gaze and didn’t look too happy.

“I have been looking everywhere for you. Don’t scare me like that…” he said as he caught up with her and Jimmy.

“I left you a note.” Lois argued.

Clark raked a hand through his hair, “Well, I didn’t get it.”

“Probably just fell off your desk, CK.” Jimmy interrupted, hoping to calm Clark down. “She’s fine. Drug me out here with her to talk with Henderson on the latest missing CEO.”

Clark visibly relaxed and held Lois against him, “Sorry I just…”

“We’re fine,” Lois said, placing a hand on his chest with a smile.

Clark nodded, “So, what’s this about a missing CEO…?”

Later that afternoon, Lois, Clark and Jimmy sat in the conference room going over everything they had on the missing CEOs and Steve McBride. “So, what exactly do we have on Steve McBride?” Lois asked.

“All NASA is willing to say is their official statement. He was going on a routine mission…Everybody loved this guy…Yadda Yadda Yadda...I can't find anything on the guy. Not even a parking ticket…”

“If everyone loved him then why did he disappear thirty-six hours before the launch?” Lois pointed out.

Clark shook his head, “Something about this just doesn’t feel right. What’s this ashy residue they found outside his garage?”

“The Police Forensics are still trying to figure it out,” Jimmy replied. “I should be hearing from them within the hour.”

“Okay, stay on it,” Clark replied. “Now, about these missing CEO’s…”

“We’ve got three CEOs of Metropolis leading corporations…What’s the connection?” Lois asked.

“Not to mention the bank chairman that just went missing earlier. You really think this could be connected to Steve McBride’s disappearance, CK?” Jimmy asked.

“It’s worth a shot.” Clark murmured. “Let’s see exactly what kind of mission Steve McBride was headed on.” He picked up the phone and dialed.

“Uh, CK, they aren’t going to let you--”

“Yes, I need to speak with Chester Paladin…Tell him it’s Clark Kent….Thank you.” Lois watched with a smile as Clark talked to NASA on the phone. “Mr. Paladin? Hi, it’s Clark Kent. Listen, we needed to talk to you about Steve McBride’s disappearance….No, it would just be Lois and me…Yes, I promise not to reveal my source…You know me…All right….Great…We’ll see you then. Thank you.” He hung up the phone. “We’re supposed to meet him for coffee in an hour.”

Jimmy stared at Clark in dismay, “I just spent the last thirty minutes trying to get past the operator of NASA…How did you…”

Lois smiled. “The secret to good journalism is who you know, Jimmy.”

“Chester’s a friend of Dr. Klein’s.” Clark supplied.

Jimmy just shook his head. “Just when I think I’ve figured you guys out…” He got up and headed for the door, “I’m gonna check and see if that report is in from Police Forensics..”

“All right, Jimmy,” Lois replied, “Speaking of Dr. Klein, we need to call him…”

Clark blanched slightly, “Oh, right. Almost forgot.” He picked up the phone and began to dial. “Dr. Klein? Yes, Lois and I needed to …Dr. Klein…Dr. Klein, I’m fine…Yes, we just …We just needed to come by sometime this afternoon…You’re free now?” He looked at Lois who nodded, “Okay, great…Yeah. We’ll see you in a few…Okay, bye…” He hung up the phone, shaking his head, “I know I understand a lot of languages but I don’t think I’ve quite mastered the language of 'mad scientist' yet.”

Lois laughed at his remark. “Looks like its gonna be a busy week.”

“Yeah.” He kissed her lightly, “So much for taking it easy...Are you going to be all right…I mean, I know we’ve juggled several stories before but ..” he was cut off by Lois pressing her lips against his and linking her arms around his neck.

“I love it that you’re worried, honey, but you’re slipping into overprotective mode…” she whispered.

“Sorry.” He apologized.

“Looks like my plans for your birthday are all spoiled…” she whispered sadly, fingering the end of his tie against the waistband of his charcoal slacks.

His interest perked up, “Oh, really? What plans might that be?”

“If I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise now would it, Mr. Kent?” She teased, brushing her palm against his thigh.

“I thought you hated surprises, Mrs. Kent?” he whispered back.

“Maybe they’re growing on me.” She leaned in to kiss him, she slowly broke off the kiss but kept his gaze. Their faces were inches apart as she spoke. “Mmmm..Remind me why we came into work today…” She rubbed his thigh seductively once more.

Clark laughed at her teasing, pushing her hand off of his leg. He held it in his palm, tracing her fingers. He looked at her more seriously. “Honey, come on, we have a job to do…Is this your usual insatiableness or just a side effect of the pregnancy?”

“Does it matter?” the gaze she gave him was heated and filled with desire.

Clark smiled and shook his head ‘no’. “I’m not complaining.... The side effects could be worse…”

“Lois? CK? You guys better take a look at this.” Jimmy interrupted, handing the printout to them.

Lois grudgingly released Clark from her embrace and allowed him to stand up. He took the printout from Jimmy and read it. “What the--?”

“What is it?”

“You know that ashy residue found at the scene of Steve McBride’s disappearance?” Clark prompted.

“Did they find out what it was?” Lois asked.

“Yeah, Steve McBride,” Clark answered.

“What???” Lois asked in disbelief.

“Jimmy, how is that even possible?” Clark asked.

“Forensics don’t know. They transferred the case over to the FBI …special weapons division…”

“Great. And FBI usually stands for ‘forget about it’ in regards to information to the press.” Lois commented wryly.

“Yeah. I guess Steve McBride’s mission wasn’t so routine after all, huh?” Jimmy remarked.

Clark sighed, “Come on, we’re going to be late. Jimmy, take a message if anyone calls. We’ll have our beepers on.”

“All right. No problem, CK.”

Garrett Grady sat in his office drumming his fingers on his desk, “What’s the status with NASA?”

Thomas Peters looked at Garrett Grady nervously and spoke, “They are going ahead with the mission as planned. They’ve already replaced McBride.”

“Which is exactly what we need to do. Who’s our man?”

“SHE is, Lt. Shirley Farnum.” Peters corrected.

“Whatever. He. She. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that when that shuttle goes up, we’ve got to make sure she’s working for us. Use the same channels you used to procure McBride. I’ve got a lot of important people invested in this project, Peters. I can’t afford, not to move forward.”

“But Mr. Grady, it took time to get McBride on our team.”

“Peters, we have less than thirty-six hours. If that shuttle goes up, and we don’t have a ringer on board, our satellite’s gonna be destroyed…and A LOT of people are gonna be angry, Peters. Is that what you want?”

“No, Mr. Grady.”

TBC...
Read Part 2 next.
Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube