Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
One of the "first line" challenge prompts. I rather like the prompt, and am toying with the idea of using it for a few other characters in their thoughts about their fathers.

I hope you enjoy it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Very sad, but works well. Leaves me wondering how they're covering up Clark's death - for example, won't people notice he's not at the funeral - but maybe Batman is there disguised as him or something.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland
Very sad, but works well. Leaves me wondering how they're covering up Clark's death - for example, won't people notice he's not at the funeral - but maybe Batman is there disguised as him or something.

Thanks, Marcus. Something about the lines screamed "funeral" to me when I first read them. (The others I'm toying with aren't set at funerals though.)

It's possible that Clark could have "died" before Superman did. Or be so old that it would be presumed that he was in a nursing home/homebound and unable to attend the funeral. After all, just because his daughter is president at the time of Superman's death doesn't mean she's in her 30's or 40's. She could well be in her 60's, putting Clark in his 90's. In all cases, it certainly does leave a lot of unexplored options!

Thanks for reading! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And I wish, oh I wish, the people gathered for his funeral could have known those moments. Maybe then, they would have understood that Superman was more than a hero. Maybe they would have understood how powerful a thing it was that he was a human man. That he was a husband and father. That he was a humble reporter who spent his days fighting for those who couldn't.

What a perfect way to see Clark, not through the eyes of those we all know, but through the eyes of his daughter. I find it interesting that she chose not to don the costume of a superhero, but preferred to work quietly in the background. Very different and refreshing.

Thank you for letting me see Clark in this manner, it is quite ... human.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
And I wish, oh I wish, the people gathered for his funeral could have known those moments. Maybe then, they would have understood that Superman was more than a hero. Maybe they would have understood how powerful a thing it was that he was a human man. That he was a husband and father. That he was a humble reporter who spent his days fighting for those who couldn't.

What a perfect way to see Clark, not through the eyes of those we all know, but through the eyes of his daughter. I find it interesting that she chose not to don the costume of a superhero, but preferred to work quietly in the background. Very different and refreshing.

Thank you for letting me see Clark in this manner, it is quite ... human.

Thank you! It was neat to reflect on him in a manner outside of what we usually get - his friends, his parents, Lois, etc. It made for a unique perspective because we're looking at him through the eyes of someone who sees him as a very different kind of hero.

Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoyed it!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When I read that first line, I thought it was a young Clark looking at Jonathan. smile Interesting how each sees the line differently.

mecry We watched Clark grow into a father before our eyes through the view of his daughter. See how he was there for her (and the family) and how he wasn't. He and Lois seem as sweet, loving, and wonderful a couple and as parents. She's lucky. I love the image of Clark using Superman's friendship with the Kents as an excuse to take his kids out flying.

I was bit confused on how he embarrassed the kids by not being at a school function because of work. That happens to most families from time to time, and I don't see how that would be embarrassing (as most other kids wouldn't notice his absence); although, it would be disappointing. Did Clark embarrass them in other ways? (I dance in front of my kids while in public. Works every time.) With Clark and Lois, I could see it be them showing a bit too much PDA in front of their kids' friends.

As president, I'm curious if Madame President and Superman ever didn't see eye-to-eye on a cause or a solution.

Yes, I could easily see Superman becoming a shell of a man after losing Lois, even if only those in his family could see his loss of soul. How hard those few years without Lois must have been on the family.

A fitting remembrance of sweet man who was hero in his daughter's eyes, no matter her age.

I'm curious to see from who else's eyes we'll be seeing in this series. Will they all be looking at Superman? Or we be seeing through his eyes as well?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow is all I can say! Very well done! You have captured a realistic view of a retrospective of Clark and his family life. I found it more contemplative than actually sad. Clark lived a long life and the only real sad aspect was having to live on beyond Lois' death and evidently he did not live long after she passed.

I think I am going to enjoy these introspective pieces quite a bit, I assume they will remain introspective pieces. There are quite a number of these available in the series and I can't wait to have your talent tackle them.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When I read that first line, I thought it was a young Clark looking at Jonathan. Interesting how each sees the line differently.

I've considered doing one from Clark's POV. I haven't completely dismissed the idea, but I haven't found a handle for it yet.

We watched Clark grow into a father before our eyes through the view of his daughter. See how he was there for her (and the family) and how he wasn't. He and Lois seem as sweet, loving, and wonderful a couple and as parents. She's lucky. I love the image of Clark using Superman's friendship with the Kents as an excuse to take his kids out flying.

Hm...it may not be clear. I may have to reword before the archive. I never meant that Clark's absence would be embarrassing. I meant stuff like the public PDAs with Lois, loudly promising to pick his kids up after school, volunteering to chaperone school events, etc. All the typical good parent things that are mortifying for teens. wink (I'm totally going to be the mom who kisses her kids in front of their peers when dropping them off at school, I just know it.)

As president, I'm curious if Madame President and Superman ever didn't see eye-to-eye on a cause or a solution.

You can bet on it. No parent and child sees eye-to-eye on everything.

Yes, I could easily see Superman becoming a shell of a man after losing Lois, even if only those in his family could see his loss of soul. How hard those few years without Lois must have been on the family.

Losing Lois would be deadlier than Kryptonite.

I'm curious to see from who else's eyes we'll be seeing in this series. Will they all be looking at Superman? Or we be seeing through his eyes as well?

I have two others in mind - one is going up tonight. They are very different from this one. And, as I said, I haven't completely dismissed doing one from Clark's POV about Jonathan. Or even Jor-El.

Thanks for reading, my friend!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Wow is all I can say! Very well done! You have captured a realistic view of a retrospective of Clark and his family life. I found it more contemplative than actually sad. Clark lived a long life and the only real sad aspect was having to live on beyond Lois' death and evidently he did not live long after she passed.

I think I am going to enjoy these introspective pieces quite a bit, I assume they will remain introspective pieces. There are quite a number of these available in the series and I can't wait to have your talent tackle them.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, glad you liked it! I was hoping to make it more contemplative, although I don't mind a tinge of sadness too. As you said, my thoughts are that he lived a few years without Lois before succumbing to age/a broken heart or getting killed in battle.

The others will be similar in feeling to this one, but focused on other characters.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Very sad and beautiful. Well done.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by jackiek
Very sad and beautiful. Well done.

Thank you! This one was a ton of fun to write, so I'm glad you liked it. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard