Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 7

Unfortunately, the fire that had broken out was not something Clark would be able to fight easily. It had spread throughout almost all of Metropolis National Forrest, trapping hundreds and leaving the firefighters to struggle through the smoke to help find and rescue the families that were trapped amidst the raging fire. Lois caught the coverage of the fire on television and watched with admiration as Clark struggled to carry the families to safety alongside the firefighters and search and rescue teams that were working to save everyone.

It was strange to see Clark…Superman like this. To see the stern, steely expression on his face….the grief on his face when he carried out a four-year-old girl with third-degree burns as she screamed in pain…This was Clark. Seeing the pain on his face…touched something in her. She could feel the helplessness in him like a wave. Surely he didn’t think that…

Lois bit her lower lip as she watched a similar scene unfold with a two-year-old boy and felt tears in the corner of her eyes threatening to escape. This was Clark. Of course, he would try to shoulder the burden of not being able to help as much as he thought he should. How did he deal with this? How did he go on day to day after witnessing the things he witnessed….When he wasn’t able to save everyone?

Lois laid in bed, thinking about Clark well into the evening as she contemplated the new discoveries she’d made about her partner over the past few days. To discover he not only cared about her as more than a friend or partner but also moonlighted as another man she’d fantasized about for so long was hard to come to grips with. She’d thought she was in love with Superman but after her conversation with Lucy the other night she wasn’t so sure anymore. Was it the idea of being with someone she couldn’t have?

Could she have Superman? Clark was being called away to rescue people every day. There wouldn’t ever be a time when Superman wasn’t needed. Could she share him with the world?
Without even thinking about it, she knew the answer. She couldn’t imagine her life without Clark Kent anymore than she could imagine the world without Superman. It just wasn’t possible. She could share him with the world if that’s what it took. She sighed, watching the coverage of the forest fire continue. It didn’t look like Clark would be coming back anytime soon…if at all tonight.

The next morning Lois arrived in the newsroom alone, looking for Clark. She frowned when she realized he hadn’t arrived yet. It was scary to realize how much she’d been looking forward to seeing him….touching him…loving him….

‘Whoah girl,’

Love? Had she really thought that? Wasn’t it too soon?

‘You’ve known him for almost a year,’ she reminded herself. She supposed it wasn’t a huge leap that once she let him in she’d realize what she’d been feeling was….love. ‘Slow down,’ she reminded herself. It was one date. One amazing date and lots and lots of incredible kisses and touches….

She shivered slightly recalling how good it had felt to be in Clark’s arms.

<<“Love is never enough, Lois. You think you know someone and then they disappoint you. Men don’t know how to love. They always leave.”>>

She recalled her mother’s harsh words to her after her breakup with Paul in college. It wasn’t surprising. She’d seen how badly a bad relationship could be when children were involved and never wanted to end up like her mom…bitter and alone with kids to raise, reminding her of their father.

<<“I’m not Claude and I’m not Paul. I would never betray you like that. All I’m asking for is a chance.”>>

She knew he cared about her. She definitely felt something….scary and wonderful, but was it, love? Her feelings for Clark had always been complicated…partly because she was trying to deny them for so long. Now that she was free to express them…it scared her. She blushed recalling the teasing from yesterday. The idea of taking things slow was losing its merit more and more but the idea of not…scared her. Clark was Superman. What if she disappointed him? Her experience with any relationship hadn’t been that great. She never considered herself a prude…just careful.

She knew her fantasies about Superman never disappointed her, but would she disappoint him? He’d traveled the world…Had women falling all over him…Surely he was more….experienced than she was. What if it was bad?

‘Yeah right…’ her mind snickered to herself, recalling the pleasurable jolt she’d felt when he’d been responding to her teasing and caresses.

‘Yet another thing we need to talk about,’ she reminded herself.

The jolt of a large leather purse being laid on her desk brought her back to the present and she looked up to see Cat Grant sitting at her desk expectantly, “So…” Cat began cautiously.

“So?” Lois echoed a bit hurriedly, trying to cover up where her mind had been before Cat had sat down in front of her.

Cat’s eyes widened as she sized her up for a moment before looking around to see if anyone was paying attention to them. “You are sooo busted….” She whispered in a hushed whisper.

“What are you talking about?” Lois harrumphed, unsure of what Cat was referring to.

Cat glanced around the newsroom once more then pointed at Ralph and Jimmy who were watching them as they talked, “Not here.” She shook her head, motioning for Lois to follow her.

Lois rolled her eyes, unsure of what nonsense Cat was trying to spin in her head. Dare she follow? She sighed as curiosity got the better of her and she followed Cat into the small conference room she and Clark had been in yesterday, teasing one another.

Cat nodded, closing the door firmly and locking it before closing the blinds, “Peering eyes,” Cat said with a grin.

“Peering what?” Lois asked.

Cat just grinned impishly, “You dirty, dirty girl…”

“What??” Lois half laughed, half choked out as she felt her throat going dry.

“Don’t even try to deny it. I can read it all over your face…” Cat added.

“Read what???” Lois laughed nervously.

‘Oh, God. She knows,’

“You and Clark ….. Good for you, Lois,” Cat grinned impishly. “I was wondering how long it would take you to get yourself a good….”

“What are you talking about???” Lois asked aghast, unsure of how Cat had gotten such an idea. Fears of the past began to race through her mind as she struggled to hold her ground. Where had Cat got the idea that she and Clark….

‘He wouldn’t dare….’

“At first I didn’t think too much of it when Phil and Craig were whispering about the goofy grin on Clark’s face when he came in the newsroom the other morning….Then in the staff meeting, you were FLIRTING with him…” Cat said pointedly as she made her case.

Lois struggled to remain calm as an inaudible “Oh, God,” escaped her lips while she placed her head in her hands.

“Then there was the goofy grins you both had on your faces yesterday morning…” Cat continued. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out…”

“Cat, I think you’ve got the wrong…”

“I still can’t believe you’d do something like that…IN THE NEWSROOM…I mean, that’s bold, Lois…”

“What are you talking about?” Lois hissed. “I…”

“Oh, please!” Cat scoffed. “You and Clark disappear down a long hallway into a storage room where no one hardly goes then later you disappear in the conference room and close the door and the blinds…” Cat grinned impishly at Lois, “I know exactly what you were doing…”

“We weren’t DOING anything!” Lois snapped irritably.

“That’s not what your face said when Jimmy opened the door,” Cat said in a sing-song voice. “Don’t give me that look! My desk is right by the conference room. I saw your face when that door opened...”

“Ugh! Get your mind out of the gutter!” Lois snapped, turning toward the door to unlock it, “For your information….we were WORKING on some….sensitive….material…and and …didn’t want to be disturbed….I can’t believe you think I’d….” She caught Cat’s arched eyebrow and continued, “I am not….Whatever is going on between my partner and me is nobody’s damn business but mine and Clark’s!” She snapped as she jerked the door open.

“So you do admit there is SOMETHING going on?” Cat teased in a whisper. “Was it good? Did he clear out the cobwebs? Clark looks like a guy that knows how to….”

“Stop! Stop! I am not having this conversation….with….YOU!” Lois snapped irritably as she stormed out of the conference room and headed back to her desk. As she approached she caught the tail end of a conversation between Clark, Phil, and Ralph.

“Come on, give it up, Kent, we all know…” Phil was saying.

“For the last time, I’m not even going to dignify that with a response. It’s none of your business…” Clark said irritably.

“You’re no fun, Kent,” Ralph sneered. “I was just curious if there was any truth to that rumor….”

Clark stood up from his desk, staring Ralph down, “You better choose your words very carefully…”

“Ralph, back off…back off, man…” Phil warned, grabbing Ralph’s arm and tugging it away from Clark Kent.

“I just meant that I’d heard some….” Ralph stammered as Clark crossed his arms over his chest, daring Ralph to say one wrong thing, “I think I’d better get back to work…”

“You do that,” Clark said with a steely gaze.

‘If looks could kill…’ She thought to herself. She sighed in relief as she walked up behind Clark to see the two men scurrying to the other side of the bullpen to get as far away from Clark Kent as humanly possible. She couldn’t hold in the laughter. She walked up behind him and gave him a hug from behind, “Wow…I don’t think I’ve ever seen Phil run …ever…”

He dropped his arms from his chest, slipping one around her waist and muttered, “He’s a pig…”

“He’s a sports writer….most of ‘em are,” She smiled, “I saw the fire last night. You okay?”

It had been a long morning. First Clark hadn’t gotten home until late after dealing with the aftermath of the destruction from the forest fire that had spread to some rural neighborhoods. Thankfully no one had been killed but plenty had been injured. He’d managed to get a few hours of sleep before waking up late and rushing to get to the office after dropping Jack off as Superman this morning. When he’d finally arrived Lois was nowhere to be found. Before he could try and scan the newsroom to find her Phil and Ralph had approached him. Clark didn’t know Ralph very well but he knew Phil and didn’t really like the guy. He was a guy’s guy that had no filter and enjoyed running his mouth.

“Hey, Kent, buddy…pal….” Phil began patting Clark on the back as he walked toward his desk.

“Something I can help you with?” He asked, uncertainly as he took a seat at his desk.

“Never thought I’d see the day when the Ice Maiden would melt…I gotta hand it to you, Kent….” Phil continued with a grin. Clark visibly flinched when Phil let the name ‘Ice Maiden’ roll off his tongue. “You sly dog…”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” Clark said, unsure of where this all was coming from or why Ralph and Phil were perched on his desk, doing a great impression of vultures circling their prey.

“He doesn’t know what I’m talking about Ralph…” Phil rolled his eyes. “You and Lane….in the conference room yesterday….closing the blinds….Come on, you can tell us. It’s just us guys…”

Clark’s jaw tightened as he realized what it looked like and exactly what Phil and Ralph were doing hovering over his desk for. They thought he and Lois had… He had to admit. It did look bad, but what made them think he’d even consider talking about his relationship with Lois with them? He wanted to throw them across the room…to hit something…After last night he was very tempted, but instead, he opted for the calm approach, “I’m not having this conversation with you,”

Ralph laughed with a sneer, “So is that code for, uh, ‘yeah I hit that’ or ….” Clark threw down his pencil, fighting every urge to throw him through a window.

Phil tried to coax him down by patting him on the shoulder, “Come on, give it up, Kent, we all know…”

“For the last time, I’m not even going to dignify that with a response. It’s none of your business…” Clark said irritably. He was about to snap.

“You’re no fun, Kent,” Ralph sneered. “I was just curious if there was any truth to that rumor….”

Rumor? He knew all about the supposed rumor that had been spread around the newsroom about Lois. That animal Claude had made sure Lois’ reputation was damaged beyond repair before he left when she’d filed a complaint about him stealing her story. What he didn’t know was how Ralph knew about it…

Clark stood up from his desk, staring Ralph down, “You better choose your words very carefully…” He warned.

“Ralph, back off…back off, man…” Phil warned, grabbing Ralph’s arm and tugging it away from Clark’s desk.

“I just meant that I’d heard some….” Ralph stammered as Clark crossed his arms over his chest, daring Ralph to say one wrong thing. If he so much as breathed the wrong way he was prepared to deck him. Ralph seemed to sense the mood Clark was in and thought better of continuing the statement he was about to make. “I think I’d better get back to work…”

“You do that,” Clark said with a steely gaze. He watched as Phil and Ralph scrambled across the room in a panic and smirked to himself.

He heard a familiar laugh behind him and looked behind him as Lois hugged him from behind muttering, “Wow…I don’t think I’ve ever seen Phil run …ever…”

He dropped his arms from his chest, slipping one around her waist and muttered, “He’s a pig…”

“He’s a sports writer….most of ‘em are,” She smiled, “I saw the fire last night. You okay?”

He shook his head, “There are a lot of kids…babies…in the burn unit after last night,”

She looked at him cautiously, “Well, I’m sure …Superman” she lowered her voice a few octaves as she said ‘Superman’ and continued, “…did everything he could to help.”

“It wasn’t enough,” He said sternly.

“Well, he can’t be everywhere at once,” She reminded him softly.

He sighed, recalling a similar conversation they’d had before she knew about his dual identities. “I know, it’s just….” There was so much he wanted to say but couldn’t find the right way to say it. It was hard having conversations like this in code with so many people watching their every move. He didn’t dare try to take the conversation to the conference room either. God forbid he give the gossip hounds, even more, to talk about. Lois took his hand and squeezed it gently. He looked down at her hand, fitting so perfectly in his and smiled. “You feel like dinner tonight…to make up for last night?”

“Sure,” She said softly. “Dinner sounds good,”

He glanced down at her hand that was still in his hand and squeezed it as he looked up nervously, “So, how much of that did you hear?”

“Enough,” She winked at him, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek. “Thank you,”

“Careful or you’ll give them, even more, to talk about,” He teased, directing his eyes toward a few co-workers that were watching them.

She followed his gaze for a moment then he saw a glint in her eyes before she reached up to kiss him on the lips, slipping her arms around his waist as she kissed him. The catcalls and whistles around them reached his ears. He could feel all eyes on them and pulled away nervously, “Lois, everyone’s watching…” He whispered self-consciously.

She smiled at him, pulling him to her by the knot on his silk tie and whispered, “Who cares?” With that she slipped her tongue inside the warm crevices of his mouth, outlining his lips with her tongue. He could taste coffee on her tongue as he began to forget about the fire from last night and instead focused on the feeling of Lois Lane in his arms, kissing him.

“Hey! Hey! Hey! What in the Sam Hill is going on out here???” Perry bellowed from his office as the catcalls and whistles continued.

Lois broke off the kiss, grinning impishly at him before turning to Perry, “Oh, just a bit of an ‘object’ lesson, Chief,”

Perry wore a smirk as he raised his eyebrows, “Uh-huh, well could you maybe save that for after hours? We’ve got a lot to cover today. There was a forest fire that destroyed half of Metropolis National Forest and a few neighborhoods around there and so far I don’t have ….”

“Uh, we’re already on it, Chief,” Clark interjected, finally finding his voice. “I was actually working on that when…” He stopped himself, unsure of how to explain what had distracted him in the middle of the newsroom.

“Let me guess, you tripped and fell on your partner’s tongue?” Perry smirked.

“I…uh…” Clark began, looking at Lois for help who was wearing a very satisfied smile at the moment and was no help at all.

Perry held up his hand, “Just save it for after hours, will ya?” He then wagged a finger at Lois, “You two, get me that copy…” He then turned around the newsroom that was still watching them intently, “What is this, a wax museum? Everyone get to work!”

Everyone around them scurried around trying to get out of Perry’s line of fire as Clark took a seat at his desk to begin piecing the story on the fire together as Lois perched herself on the edge of his desk looking like a cat that ate the canary. “Feeling pretty satisfied with yourself?” He asked with a wink.

She smiled, “I think so,”

“Perry looked like his jaw was gonna fall on the floor,” Clark said.

Lois shrugged with a smile, “Well it worked…”

“What did?” He asked with a smile.

“You’re not thinking about last night’s rescue, are you?” She whispered seductively as she stood up and he grinned, watching as she sashayed back to her desk with a wink.

“Wow…” He smiled to himself as he struggled to string together any thoughts on anything but Lois.

Lex stepped on his private jet taking a deep breath as he looked around. Mrs. Cox was pouring a glass of champagne for him as he approached. “Mr. Luthor,” She said, handing him the flute.

“Thank you, my dear,” He said taking the flute from her and took a seat.

“We’re set to land in thirty-six hours.” Mrs. Cox said. “Nigel is working with the team on turning the final board members…”

“Excellent,” Lex said with a smile.
Lois sighed as she stared at the news coverage detailing the bridge collapse Superman showed up to save at the last minute. It seemed like this week was busy for the man of steel. She hoped he didn’t come back in as sour of a mood as he had been this morning. Though she suspected part of his mood had to do with Ralph and Phil. It had been fun to pull him out of his bad mood. After overhearing the tail end of the conversation Clark had had and recalling the conversation she’d had with Cat she’d realized keeping her relationship with Clark out of the newsroom gossip was impossible. No sense in suppressing her urge to kiss him when everyone thought there was A LOT more going on.

It wasn’t like she didn’t want to…

She definitely wanted to. She’d fantasized about it since seeing him in that towel at the Apollo. That towel she wished would fall off and…

‘Don’t go there,’ she reminded herself.

Cat laughed as she took a seat at Lois’ desk, “There’s that face again…”

Lois glared at her, “I’m not talking to you,”

Cat sighed, “I came off too strong. I was just…” She stopped and turned around, “You know what, never mind. Forget I said anything,”

Lois sighed, “No, Cat, wait, what is it?”

Cat sighed, “I was just happy to finally see you putting the whole Claude thing behind you…”

Lois gave Cat a slow smile, “I am, but …. what everyone thinks happened with Clark…didn’t happen…” Cat arched an eyebrow at her and Lois glared at her, “I’m serious,”

Cat smirked at her, “Seriously?” She let out a low whistle. “Well, you’ve got more patience than….uh, most of the women in this newsroom…” Lois shot Cat a glare and she laughed, “Come on, Lois, you know what I’m talking about…”

Lois let out an irritated sigh and gave Cat a forced smile, “Women in the newsroom like you?”

Cat gave Lois a slow smile, “What can I say? I love the chase…”

“…or rejection…” Lois muttered under her breath. Cat glared at her and Lois continued, “Don’t try to play all innocent with me. You were the one over there trying to take advantage of a man with NO MEMORY….I mean, really? Who does that?”

Cat shrugged, “Nothing else was working, but it backfired anyway. What can I say I never stood a chance because he only had eyes for ….you.” Lois looked at her curiously. What was she saying?

<<“You got the wrong idea, Lois,”

“Cat Grant’s bedroom has more comings and going than the Metro Station. You’re just another commuter.”>>

“What are you talking about, Cat? He wasn’t even here a week and you were already…”

Cat cut her off and laughed, “Lois, you of all people should know better than to believe the local gossip from the Planet Grapevine…”

“Are you saying….” She began hoarsely.

“Not everything is as it seems. Take you and Clark for instance….a week ago I never would have thought you’d have the guts to plant one on him in the middle of the newsroom, but people surprise you…..even you. I still don’t understand what took you so long to notice… I mean it was so obvious…”

Lois was quiet a moment, “Are you done?”

Cat smiled, “I’m just trying to say….don’t let your past wreck your future….and I’m happy for you. He’s a good guy and …. you deserve that.”

Lois smiled at Cat, “Thanks, Cat.”

“Hey, Chief?” Jimmy knocked on Perry’s door and stepped inside.

“Uh, what’s up, Jimmy?” Perry asked, looking up at the copy in front of him.

“I, uh, don’t know how to say this….” Jimmy began.

“Just spit it out, Jimmy, can’t you see I’m elbow-deep in red ink?” Perry asked irritated.

“My paycheck bounced!” Jimmy said hurriedly.

“What?” Perry asked, confused.

“I…I’m in the red, Chief, I can’t….” Jimmy began, but Perry cut him off.

“Calm down, Jimmy, I’ll figure it out,”

He pulled out his wallet and Jimmy shook his head, “Chief, I can’t….”

“Nonsense,” Perry said, handing him a couple hundred dollars, “Just to get you by until I get to the bottom of this,”

Jimmy nodded, taking the money, “Thanks, Chief,” He grew thoughtful for a moment, “You, uh, think it might have to do with those budget cuts?”

“I don’t know,” Perry sighed. “There have been cuts across the board. We suffered a lot with the whole Carpenter scandal but we were bouncing back….It just doesn’t make sense,”

“Maybe there’s something else going on….Carpenter could be doing something…” Jimmy suggested.

“No,” Perry said, “Carpenter is in prison….this feels…different…”

“Maybe Lois and CK can look into it…” Jimmy suggested.

“Yeah, when they aren’t busy ogling each other in the middle of the newsroom,” Perry muttered under his breath.

Jimmy laughed, “I saw that! I wonder how that happened. I mean they went from being at each other’s throats to…”

“…being in each other’s arms?” Perry asked with a wink. “Love is funny like that. Sometimes it just sneaks up on you.”

“Are you sure you’re okay with this? I mean we can go out and…” Lois cut Clark’s protest off with a kiss before snuggling up with him on the couch to watch a movie. Their ‘date night’ had been turned into pizza and movie night after filing the stories on the fire and bridge collapse.

Lois had decided instead of going out she’d rather just stay in so she could spend whatever time she could with Clark before he got called away for Superman duties. It seemed the man of steel was extra busy lately. That or she was just becoming more and more aware of his coming and goings now that she was in on the secret.

“It’s fine,” She said, leaning against his chest as she curled up on the couch to watch ‘Die Hard’ with him. “You’ve been in and out all day. We don’t have to go out. We’ve got a movie…” She pointed to the television and then gestured to the pizza in front of them, “and food. I’m good.”

He wrapped an arm around her as she leaned against him, kissing her head before he hit play on the movie. “Okay, hopefully, we can get through this movie without some disaster happening…”

“Seems to be happening a lot lately,” She said softly, “Is it normally like that?”

“No, not usually,” He sighed. “I’m not sure what’s been going on out there. It's just one thing after another….I’m sorry I wasn’t much help earlier. I didn’t mean for you to handle everything on your own today.”

“Well, it's just something we have to figure out, but I think we’re getting the hang of it. Besides you contributed the Superman quotes and eyewitness accounts so there is that…” She said rubbing her palm against his chest as she leaned on his shoulder.

He smiled, removing her hand from his chest and intertwining her fingers with his, “I guess you’re right,”

She smiled, “I’m always right,” She leaned up to kiss him, softly at first then with a little more intensity. She leaned into him, turning into his arms as his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her to him as he deepened the kiss.

“I still can’t believe I waited this long….to tell you….” He murmured against her lips.

She sighed against his lips, linking her arms around his neck as she readjusted herself on his lap, “I know…so much….wasted time…”

He nodded his agreement as he began nibbling at her collarbone that was exposed by her sleeveless button down top. “That feels so…” She moved to straddle him, eliciting a groan from him as she pressed her body against his. She tightened her thighs against his and laughed when he jumped slightly.

“Lo-is…” He admonished, pulling back slightly. She gave him her best innocent look and laughed. “We do a very bad impression of a couple taking things….slow…” He murmured as she kissed his neck.

“But this is SO much more fun…” She teased against his neck.

He groaned as she raked her fingers against his chest, “Oh, no doubt, but….”

She pulled back when she sensed his hesitation, “What’s wrong?”

“Lois, I don’t know how to say this…” He pulled back slightly, “I’m crazy about you and I’m….” He let out another groan as she ran her hands up and down his chest.

“But?” She prodded.

“This…you and me…its kinda uncharted territory for me. I mean…” He floated them off the couch for a moment and she tightened her arms around his neck, “being in a relationship….a relationship where I don’t have to hide anything….its new to me. I’m so afraid of blowing it I…” He looked away sadly.

Lois stroked his cheek, turning his face to look at him, “Clark, I’m not as good at the whole relationship thing as I might look…” She shifted slightly so her legs were tucked beneath her but she remained on his lap.

“Really?” He asked, surprised.

She nodded, “I mean my whole life’s basically been about work the past four years…I’m just trying to figure this out like you are…” She looked away sadly, “I’ve only had two serious relationships and both of those ended up as federal disasters…” He moved his hand to cup her cheek and she continued, “I told you about Claude?” He nodded, “Well, what I didn’t say was this, it was one time and it was ….awful.” She shuddered recalling the pain both physically and emotionally she’d suffered from Claude. “Awkward…and painful…and…I just wanted it to end so I ended up just pretending…” She shook her head at the memory.

“I’m sorry,” He whispered, cupping her cheek.

“After I found out he’d stolen my story I filed a complaint against him…” Her tone grew more bitter with each word she spoke, “He spread a lot of AWFUL rumors. I just wanted them to stop so I withdrew my complaint…but it was too late.”

Despite her best efforts to hold in the tears, a few escaped and Clark leaned in to kiss them away. “Lois, anyone that would…I swear, I would never…”

“I know that,” She said softly, “I just….I want you to know what you’re getting yourself into. I’m not that experienced and…”

“Lois…” Clark began softly.

“I mean I know you traveled a lot and it's not like you wouldn’t have opportunity …I mean, you’re …YOU, but I just don’t want you to be…”

“Lois, I’m not…” He shook his head and she looked at him curiously. He smiled softly, “I’m not that experienced either…”

“You’re not?” She asked with a curious expression.

<<“You got the wrong idea, Lois,”

“Cat Grant’s bedroom has more comings and going than the Metro Station. You’re just another commuter.”>>

<<“Nothing happened.”

“Clark, you can do the horizontal rhumba with the entire MetNet cheerleading squad for all I care. Just keep your hands off my copy.”>>

“No, actually not…at all…” At her widened expression he continued, “Lois, I’m not from here…I’m different…so I made the decision not to….cross that threshold until I could find someone I could share everything with…”

“Really?” She asked cautiously. “So, you’re waiting for…”

“Just the right person,” He stroked her cheek, “You,”

“Oh, Clark,” She began to cry and he captured her lips with his own, holding her to him. “You are just so….I love you,”

“I love you too, Lois,” He whispered, capturing her lips once more.

The next morning Lois found herself unable to wipe the smile off her face from the evening at Clark’s apartment. He’d brought her home after the movie….which they’d had to rewind a few times to catch up on the parts they missed. It had been a great evening with the man she loved and after their talk, she felt closer to him…safe. His promise of “I would never betray you like that” rang true to her. She knew Clark. She’d known him for almost a year and the more she got to know him the more she understood why he did the things he did.

When she’d arrived at work she’d found a bouquet of white roses, coffee and a familiar pastry bag sitting on her desk with a note.

//Just Because.

Love,
Clark//

She smiled after reading the card and closed the note to her chest for a moment as she contemplated its contents for a moment. It was so surreal to have Superman as a boyfriend but she had to admit it had its perks. The authentic pastries he was able to pick up at a moment’s notice…the flights home when she was too tired to drive…

“Morning, Lois, how’s it going?” Jimmy asked, walking past her.

“Good,” Lois smiled happily. She noticed the boxes in his arms and asked, “What’s all this?”

“Oh, uh, the Chief thought it’d be a good idea for you and CK to have backups of everything with how…connected…this boss seems to be. So, he’s got me making copies of everything. I gotta warn you, I probably won’t be done till this evening…”

“That’s fine,” Lois nodded. “You can just drop it off when you get everything done. That’s a really good idea. Thanks, Jimmy,”

Jimmy smiled, “No problem,”

Lucy’s flight came in that day so Lois left work early to pick her sister up from the airport. When she’d arrived at the terminal to pick her up she’d been surprised to find someone she wasn’t expecting, “Mother!”

Ellen gave a forced smile, “Lois, how nice to see you. Picking up a friend?” The bite in her mother’s tone was evident and Lois did her best to suppress the groan in the back of her throat.

“I should have called you,” Lois began carefully.

“Yes, you should have!” Ellen snapped. “I have to find out through the country club grapevine that my youngest daughter is moving back home? Neither one of you has the decency to call me and…”

“Lois!” Lucy’s voice interrupted her tirade as her younger sister gave her a big hug from behind. “I missed you so much I….” Lucy stopped when she saw her mother’s face, releasing her grip on her sister, “Uh, hi, mom….surprise….”

Ellen arched an eyebrow at Lucy, “Surprise?”

Ellen followed Lois and Lucy back to Lois’ apartment to help Lucy unpack and catch up with each other. It was a bit awkward trying to catch up with their mother there but they did the best they could. “So, you broke up with Lex Luthor?” Ellen asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Yes, isn’t it great?” Lucy beamed happily.

“I…guess…” Ellen shrugged. “I’d never met the man so….what do I know?”

“Me neither,” Lucy added. “He never wanted to meet me when I was living here. I met her partner and co-workers more than the guy that was supposedly SO interested in my sister…”

“Luce…” Lois sighed, not wanting to get into the whole Lex Luthor discussion with her mother.

“So you’re single again?” Ellen sighed. “Should I buy you a cat for Christmas?”

“No,” Lois said, trying to force herself not to snap at her mother’s sarcastic remark.

“Oh, she’s not single…at least I don’t think so…” Lucy winked, “She did have a date the other night with a hot guy the other night,”

“Well that was fast,” Ellen said with a disapproval tone.

“Not really,” Lucy winked, “She’s known him for about a year now,”

“Really?” Ellen’s face perked up and she actually looked intrigued. Lois wasn’t used to seeing this side of her mother at all.

“I…” She began carefully. How would her mother feel about her dating Clark? Would she get a lecture about how she’d been forced to give up her nursing career to take care of her and Lucy?

“Go on,” Ellen said eagerly.

“I’ve been …..seeing Clark,” Lois said slowly.

She was ready for the fireworks. The lectures and the disapproval tones. What she wasn’t prepared for was this. “Good for you,”

“What?” Lois asked, uncertainly.

“I said, ‘good for you,’” Ellen repeated. “You’re friends. If it works out ….and I’m not saying it won’t….it’ll make the relationship stronger.”

“Who are you and what have you done with my mother?” Lois asked, surprised.

“What? I can’t be happy for my daughter?” Ellen asked.

Lucy laughed, trying to cut the tension a bit, “So, how was the date?”

“It was nice….dinner and dancing and….” She smiled slowly, recalling the kiss on the dance floor.

“I’m really happy for you, sis,” Lucy said taking a sip of coffee, “Clark’s a great catch. See you let go of that silly Superman crush and good things happen…”

Lois laughed, “Yeah, I guess,”

‘If she only knew’

Lucy smiled, “I guess? Please, it is written all over your face! You have been bitten by the ‘love bug’…”

“Lucy…” Lois blushed.

“You do look happy, Lois,” Ellen observed quietly.

“Say Clark’s name without smiling,” Lucy said teasingly. Lois blushed and a smile spread across her face. “See? You can’t even think about him without smiling…”

“Luce…” She laughed, knowing full well her sister was right. “We’re….taking things slow….Neither of us wants to rush into anything and….”

“Yeah, let me know how that goes for you….” Lucy teased. “I think it's great. At least we know you can’t scare him off…”

“Don’t remind me,” Ellen said shaking her head. “I still don’t understand how you manage to find the trouble you do. If I had a penny for every ….”

“I know, I know,” Lois sighed. “Clark says the same thing,”

“Something we have in common,” Ellen said with a smile.

“I’m starved! What are we doing for dinner?” Lucy asked.

“Oh, uh, Clark was going to pick up some Chinese takeout when he brought over the files on the story we’re working on…”

“Oh, really??” Ellen asked, her eyes doing a twinkle as she spoke.

Lucy’s eyes sparkled as well, “Do we need to make ourselves scarce….give you some privacy?”

“Lucy!” Lois blushed, “We just started going out…”

“So?” Lucy shrugged, “You’ve known each other for a year...almost….Besides you said something about his kisses…’.making your toes curl’…” Lucy reminded her. Lois blushed recalling just how weak that kiss had made her. Ellen just laughed as Lois’ face turned beet red. “We should come up with a signal. You wiggle your nose or something and I’ll make an excuse to leave…”

“Wiggle my nose?” Lois laughed. “Do I look like Samantha from Bewitched?”

Lucy shrugged as she wiggled her eyebrows, “Just a suggestion,”

“Behave, both of you,” Ellen interrupted.

A knock at the door interrupted the sibling teasing and Lois sighed, “That’s probably dinner,”

“…and Lois’ dessert,” Lucy added laughing.

“Shut up,” Lois said before turning to open the door, “Hi,” She smiled, seeing Clark on the other side of the door with a bag of Chinese in one hand and a box of files in the other.

“Hi,” He said with a smile as he stepped into the apartment. He handed Lois the bag of Chinese and she turned to introduce him to her unexpected guest…her mother.

“Uh, mom, this is Clark. Clark, mom…” Lois introduced them.

“Nice to meet you, Mrs. Lane,” He extended his hand to greet hers. She gave him a once-over before taking it, eying him critically before stepping back. She looked from Lois to Clark back to Lois again then smiled.

Lucy elbowed her mother, whispering, “Don’t even think about it…” in a harsh whisper.

Ellen gave him a once over once more then smiled, “Nice to meet you, Clark. I’ve been hearing….”

Lucy tugged her mom into the spare bedroom, “Mom, why don’t you help me unpack?”

“But you already….” Ellen began before realizing what Lucy was trying to do then nodded, “Oh! I suppose a second opinion on where everything is won’t hurt…”

“What was that about?” He asked curiously.

“Lucy is just being….Lucy,” Lois said too quickly and pointed at the box in his hand. “Are those the files?”

He nodded, patting the box with his one hand, “Jimmy said he’d be coming by with the rest…”

“Uh, just put it in the living room. We can sort through this later,” Lois said.

Clark nodded, handing her the bag of food. “Hopefully there’s enough. I got extra because of Lucy…”

“Mom’s not a big eater,” Lois reassured, “Should be fine.”

He snapped his fingers, “I almost forgot…I was supposed to call Jimmy and give him the names of the guys that were caught in the sting at the Metro Club so he knew which files to grab…”

Lois handed him the phone and he began to dial. “It’s so weird going through all these old…” She stopped when he motioned for her to stop talking, moving the phone away from his ear cautiously. “What is it?”

He lowered his glasses, scanning the room cautiously then whispered in a barely audible tone, “Unlock your window,” before dropping the phone on the couch and disappearing out the front door.

Ellen reentered the living room with Lucy, “Lois? Are you two ready for…” Before she could finish her statement Lois was already opening her window for the famed superhero of Metropolis. “Oh, my….”

“This’ll just take a sec…” Clark reassured. In a blink of an eye, he reappeared in front of them with a handful of gadgets that appeared to be small cameras.

Lucy stared at the cameras in shock, “Is that…?”

Clark nodded, “Yes, Clark, uh....told me….” He wasn’t very good at coming up with excuses. Lois noticed he was looking at her for help and she wasn’t sure what to say.

“He found a camera….and then went to find Superman to sweep the place…” Lois explained.

“Who would bug your apartment?” Ellen asked.

Lois looked away from her mother nervously, unsure of how to explain everything. Lucy caught her sister’s gaze and shook her head, “You think it was Lex don’t you?” She turned to Superman, “Take those to the police and get a restraining order…now!”

“Lucy, it's not that simple….” Lois began. 'Oh, how to explain….'

Clark nodded, “I’m going to take these somewhere….safe…” He caught Lois’ gaze before finishing, “Clark should be back soon ….when I left he was picking up, uh…..”

“Double Fudge Crunch bars?” God, she was as bad as he was. When Lucy and Ellen turned to look at Lois in confusion she fought the urge to laugh when he mouthed ‘double fudge crunch bars, really?’ to her. She just nodded, “When you got a sweet tooth…”

“Right,” he nodded. Within the blink of an eye, he was gone.

A knock at the door a few seconds later announced Clark’s arrival. Lois opened the door and smiled when she saw Clark standing there with a box of Double Fudge Crunch bars. “For your, uh, sweet tooth…” He whispered with a smirk as he stepped inside the apartment.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube