Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 5

Note: I'm fixing to head out of town for the weekend so I'm posting this next part early. Hope everyone enjoys. Hope everyone has a great weekend. FDK appreciated as always.

The next morning Lois sighed happily as she began to get ready for work. The stress of the last few days seemed to subside and she couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off her face. Clark was Superman. Superman was Clark. Clark said he was ‘crazy’ about her. She had suspected he’d had a crush on her for some time but dismissed the idea after the whole pheromone fiasco when he wasn’t affected….or was he? She recalled the kiss at the airport with ‘Superman’ and smiled. She suspected he’d faked being under the influence of pheromones to kiss her. That was something she’d have to ask him about…

She’d been a bit shell shocked last night after his revelation but now the more she thought about it the more happy she became. There were still a lot of unanswered questions. Why he hated Lex so much? What was the ‘big’ thing he eluded to last night Martha wanted him to tell her? How had he gotten a paper cut?

She sighed. It was something that excited her, knowing she’d finally be able to ask ‘Superman’ every question she’d ever thought of. It all slowly began to make sense now. The way Clark seemed to be able to crack codes when they were breaking in somewhere or get lucky guessing passwords.

She was looking forward to finally getting the answers she’d always wanted and maybe even repeat last night’s kiss. She’d been so tempted to pull him into her apartment when she’d kissed him good night, but he’d pulled away before she could act on it. He seemed intent on taking things slow with her. It was refreshing. She wasn’t that experienced when it came to relationships. Paul had left her for Linda when she wouldn’t give up the ‘goods’ and when she’d thought she was ‘in love’ with Claude it had only been that one time. She’d thought she was in love and then she woke up to have her heart broken and realize she’d given her virginity to the wrong man. It hadn’t even been that enjoyable. Claude had grown impatient with her and just focused on his needs. She ended up just pretending for his ego. She thought he hadn’t noticed but….She shuddered, recalling the names that had been used when he told everyone what had happened.

<Frigid>

<Ice Queen>

<Ice Maiden>

“Clark’s different,” She reminded herself. He’d never do that. He’d been the one to stop. He’d been the one to…

<< “So, you’re ….Superman….”

“Like I said that wasn’t really dancing….this is,”

“Oh, God….”

“I’ve got you,” >>

Lois sighed, recalling the dance they’d shared at his apartment. It had been surreal to have him dance with her in the air. It was one of the many things she’d wondered about….Does Superman dance? Does he sleep in a bed or in the air? Does he need sleep?

She finished getting ready and grabbed her pursed to head out the door when the phone rang, backtracking she turned to grab the phone. “Hello?”

“Lois?” her sister’s voice echoed on the other end of the phone.

“Lucy?” Lois looked at the clock. “What are you doing up so early?”

“I couldn’t sleep so I thought I’d work on packing for my trip back to Metropolis…” Lucy said in a sing-song voice.

“Really??” Lois practically squealed happily.

“Really, I miss you and Metropolis and…..dad couldn’t care less if I’m here or not so I figured….”

“Oh, you have no idea how glad I am to hear that!” Lois sighed happily. “Listen, I’ve got to get to work, but when does your flight get in? I’ll pick you up….”

“I get in at three on Friday. If that’s too early I can get a cab….” Lucy began.

“No, no, no,” Lois argued. “I’ll be there.”

“Good,” Lucy said with a grin, “Then you can tell me all about your date last night….You never did call last night so I figured it either went so horrible you can’t even talk about it or it went so well you are still dreaming about it….”

“It was….incredible,” Lois said softly, “but I’ve really got to go,”

“Okay, I’ll see you Friday. I’ll leave the flight information on your voicemail.”

“Bye, Luce,” Lois said softly, hanging up the phone. She then grabbed her keys and headed out the door. As she opened the door she found a single stemmed rose with a note and a small bag outside her door. She glanced at the time. She was running late but curiosity got the better of her and she opened the note.

//Thought you might want something more than coffee this morning for breakfast. Superman has to give a statement to the transit authority about the train derailment. I’ll be in as soon as I can.

Thinking of you,

CK//

Lois smiled, tapping the rose against the pastry bag for a moment and sniffed the heavenly smell of the pastry inside. With a smile, she headed into work, still holding the rose he’d given her with the pastry bag.

Once she got to the Planet, Lois parked her jeep in the parking garage and headed in. She picked up the rose along with her purse and headed in. Once she entered the lobby of the Planet she stopped at Joe’s coffee bar inside to get a cup of much-needed coffee.

“Beautiful rose you have there,” Joe said handing her her coffee.

Lois smiled looking at it, “Yes, it is,”

“Present from Mr. Luthor?” Joe asked with a wink.

“No,” Lois said with a smile, taking her coffee and heading for the elevator. She was slightly disappointed not to be heading into work with Clark this morning. They’d gotten into a routine of riding into work together. Yesterday they hadn’t done so because she needed to get a manicure before her date with Clark. After a weekend of biting her nails, and kickboxing she needed a refresher.

A guy she recognized from the mailroom was in the elevator when she stepped on. “Uh, newsroom,” She said when the guy from the mailroom asked what floor. The doors were just about closed when a hand slipped between the doors. She smiled to herself recognizing that hand as her partner’s.

The doors opened and she smiled, looking up at him as he stepped onto the elevator. The guy from the mailroom looked at Clark asking what floor. Clark just nodded, “Uh, newsroom as well,”

The doors closed and Lois sighed happily when Clark stood a few inches away from her, staring at the doors ahead. “Hi,”

“Hi,” She said back with a smile, not daring to look at him for fear that she’d lose all her resolve at the moment. He looked really really good right now in his gray suit and blue dress shirt. His tie, of course, was a loud yellow with gray and black designs on it. “How’d it go with your, um, source?”

He seemed to recognize what she was talking about and smiled, “Fine. I’ve got enough for a few follow-ups,”

“Good,” She nodded with a smile, continuing to stare straight ahead.

“Nice rose,” He smirked at her.

She couldn’t help but giggle, “Yes, it is. This guy I’ve been seeing gave it to me.”

“That’s nice,” He managed to say. She could tell from his voice he was struggling to keep a straight face. She had to admit she was having the same problem.

“Yeah, I think you’d like him.” She said softly.

“Seems to have put you in a good mood,” Clark commented.

“Yes, he has,” She winked. “That and I found out Lucy’s moving back….”

“That’s great news,” He said with a smile, knowing how much she’d missed her sister.

The elevator dinged and the guy from the mailroom stepped off. She watched as the doors closed and then she turned toward Clark, “Thank you for my rose and breakfast,”

“You’re very welcome,” He said, turning to cup her cheek.

She leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. She was just about to pull him in for a kiss when the elevator dinged, and the doors opened. A group of businessmen stepped on the elevator with them. She sighed, trying to focus on something else other than what her partner’s lips felt like pressed up against hers. It was so tempting…

The elevator dinged again and they arrived on the newsroom floor, Lois did her best to act as professional as she could as they stepped off the elevator. The last thing she wanted was another situation where she became the topic of the Planet gossip. As she approached her desk it was harder and harder to keep up the resolve when she noticed not one, not two, but four bouquets of flower arrangements sitting on her desk. She looked back at Clark but it was obvious from his expression the flowers were not from him. She picked up the card that was attached to them.

//Lois,

Please know I’m thinking of you.

Lex//

“That ugh….” Lois muttered under her breath.

Clark didn’t say anything. Instead, he turned to his desk, turning his computer on. She grimaced. The man had a lot of nerve… What part of ‘stay away from me’ didn’t he get? Seeing the dark cloud that crossed over Clark’s face just now….

No, she needed to nip this right in the bud now. She reached in the cabinet under her desk and grabbed the small vase from the bouquet of flowers Clark had given her a few weeks ago, and headed toward the break room to get some water. Once she had the water she needed she dropped the rose in and smiled, recalling their conversation about the rose in the elevator. After making sure she had enough water in the vase she returned to her desk only to find a delivery man with another bundle of flowers.

“You have got to be kidding me,” Lois muttered under her breath.

“Are you Lois Lane?” the floral delivery person asked.

“Depends,” Lois said placing the vase on her desk, “Who are these from?”

“Mr. Luthor,” The floral delivery person said. “Order is for four bouquets of roses every hour from seven am to three pm.”

Lois laughed, “No.” She grabbed the other four arrangements that were on her desk and handed them to the delivery man along with Lex’s note. “No. I am refusing this delivery. I refuse to sign. Take them back. Take them all back….”

“But….”

“No!” Lois snapped angrily a bit louder than she anticipated. She winced when she heard herself and saw the delivery guy jump slightly. “I’m sorry. This isn’t your fault….I don’t want these….”

“The order is paid for already….” The guy argued.

Clark walked up to them hesitantly, “I’m sure some of the local hospitals would appreciate the flowers….”

“Yes!” Lois turned to pat Clark on the chest, “There have to be people that don’t get visitors or….gifts. This would definitely brighten someone’s day….”

The delivery guy smiled, “Yeah,” He turned to leave.

Lois let out a frustrated groan, “I don’t believe him!”

Clark sighed, “I guess he still thinks….” He was a quiet a moment. “Lois, the reason I needed to tell you…” He gave a flying motion and she nodded, “There have been some….” He got a faraway look in his eyes and she looked at him curiously.

“Someone need you?” Lois asked uncertainly.

He smiled apologetically, “I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere,” He cupped her cheek for a moment before disappearing toward the storage closet. She heard the sound of a sonic boom in the distance and smiled to herself. How had she not put two and two together for so long?

Lex threw a glass against the wall in his study as he watched the scene play from the elevator over and over, hitting rewind as he watched Lois Lane lean in to kiss Clark Kent on the cheek. Competing for her affections with Superman he could handle, but Kent? He was nothing. A nobody. What could she possibly see in him? He’d lost himself and let his anger show. Now it seemed winning her back would prove more difficult than anticipated.

A knock at the door announced Nigel’s presence, “Will you be needing the cleaning service?”

Lex glared at him. “No, I…. What have we gotten on Superman so far?”

Nigel nodded, “I’ll get the reports,”

“Get me Mazik’s as well. Maybe some jewelry will do the trick,” Lex added.

“Yes, sir,” Nigel nodded.

Clark landed at the Daily Planet, spinning back into his work clothes. He exited the storage closet and found Lois outside waiting for him, handing him a box of pencils. He looked at her curiously. “You needed pencils,” She said with a wink.

He nodded. It certainly helped to have her in on the secret to help him cover for the disappearances he had. “Thanks,” He said softly following her back to the bullpen.

“No problem,” She said, grabbing him by the hand. He smiled at the gesture and gently squeezed her hand in his. “So, you were saying earlier…”

“Yes,” He nodded, “Not here, though,” He guided her to the small conference room where they had everything on ‘the boss.’ He closed the door behind them and closed the blinds then lowered his glasses to scan the room and make sure no one was around.

Lois laughed, “So that’s what you’re doing when you pull your glasses down. I always thought you had astigmatism,”

He smiled, cupping her cheek, “There’s probably gonna be a lot of those moments,”

She linked her arms around his neck, “I hope so,” He let out a shuddered breath as she pressed her small frame against him. The things she was doing to him….

“So,” He began slowly, “as I was saying….” He let out a shuddered breath as she pressed herself against him again, “Lo-is…”

“Am I distracting you?” She teased.

“You have no idea…” He whispered.

“I think I might…” She teased pressing her body against him more tightly.

“Oh, God, Lois…” He let out a moan and captured her lips with his own,

She sighed happily as he kissed her thoroughly on the mouth, slipping his tongue inside the warm confines of her mouth, “Clark….” She sighed happily as he slowly broke off the kiss.

“I’ve been wanting to do that since this morning,” He whispered.

“Why didn’t you?” She asked, intertwining her fingers with his playfully.

“I didn’t know if I was allowed….We’re still in the….getting to know you….phase…” Clark sighed, “Speaking of which…”

“Yes, speaking of which…” She said with a smile, stepping away from him.

“Okay, so you remember when we started going through all this ….” He gestured to the map of all the crimes associated with ‘the boss’ and Lois nodded.

Lois sighed in aggravation, “Is this where you’re going to tell me Lex Luthor is ‘the boss?’ I told you before you’ve yet to show one ounce of ….”

“Just hear me out. A lot of what happened occurred between Luthor and….” He lowered his voice a few decibels, “Superman,”

“I’m listening,” She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

He pointed to the note on Dr. Antoinette Baines, “We’ll have to start at the beginning….”

“This is nothing,” Lex fumed angrily. “Absolutely nothing!”

“We know that the man of steel has a soft spot for Ms. Lane but he hasn’t been seen with her as of lately. It seems she’s taken up with her partner…” Nigel laid a few surveillance photos of Lois and Clark dancing at Foquet and having dinner. There were pictures of them kissing on the dance floor and of them holding hands across from one another at their table.

“I already know this….” He muttered. “What about Superman??”

“Well, our man followed them back to Mr. Kent’s apartment. They seemed to disappear for some time and then reappear at Ms. Lane’s apartment.”

“What do you mean disappear?” Lex asked, confused.

“We’re assuming they were just….where he couldn’t see them….” Nigel said slowly, hoping he didn’t have to spell it out.

“No,” Lex shook his head in disgust. “She wouldn’t dare…Not on a first date and not with ….KENT….Get better surveillance….”

“We’ll have to …” Nigel began but Lex cut him off.

“Just do it!” Lex snarled. “I know she is the key to bringing down Superman.…”

“So, you’re saying Lex was funding the sabotage of Prometheus?” Lois asked in shock.

“Think about it. It makes sense,” Clark reasoned. “Remember when you asked Baines ‘why?’”

Lois nodded, “She said it was for….”

“Profit,” Clark nodded. “Who stood to make a profit if Prometheus didn’t succeed?”

Lois cringed inwardly, “Lex,” She thought about it for a minute, “Hey! You could have gotten us out of there anytime. Why did you let me spill my guts about Claude??” She smacked him on the arm lightly.

Clark laughed, “I actually tried but you weren’t listening so I just let you finish babbling…” At her confused expression, he continued, “Remember I said, ‘Lois, somehow, I’ve managed to…’

Realization dawned on her face and she sighed. “I still can’t believe how blind I was ….”

“People see what they want to see,” He shrugged. “It’s what makes the disguise of Superman work. No one expects the guy with glasses to be the one lifting space shuttles into space…”

“Or stop asteroids…” She reasoned thoughtfully. “You lost your memory from….trying to stop Nightfall…not getting hit by a car….I thought that was odd that you’d wake up with amnesia a couple of days after that happened….”

“Yeah,” He nodded. “You helped me get my memory back….and stop Nightfall,” He leaned in to kiss her.

“And the pheromones?” She asked teasingly as they broke off the kiss. She placed a few fingers on his shoulder, tracing her way up behind his neck. She smiled seeing him blush slightly.

“Two days of not being able to do anything when you were under the influence of those pheromones….I guess I just kinda lost my willpower…”

She smiled proudly, intrigued by the idea of him losing his willpower. “Really?” She linked her arms around his neck, tracing random patterns against the fabric of his jacket.

“Two…days….” He repeated slowly as she ran a hand down his chest, watching him intently as she did so.

“So, is that the limit to Superman’s willpower?” She teased, “Two…days…” She traced the outline of his tie against the fabric of his dress shirt and smiled when she heard him take in a sharp breath. She smiled to herself, realizing the effect she was having on him.

“It…depends…” He began slowly, letting out a shuddered breath as she fingered his tie, tracing an imaginary path upward to the knot he had so perfectly tied.

The thought of loosening his tie flashed through her mind. “On …what…exactly?” She asked with a smile.

“How long you’re torturing….him…for…” He managed as she fingered the knot to his tie, feeling his resolve melting beneath her fingertips. His hand moved to cover her hand as she fingered the silk of the knot at his collar, “I thought we were….taking things….slow….”

“There are different definitions of …..slow…” She whispered, pressing her small frame against him.

He smiled, “I wasn’t aware,”

She bit her lower lip in anticipation as he leaned in to kiss her. The door to the conference room opened and they both jumped back from one another, looking like two children that had been caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Jimmy looked at them confused for a moment then looked at the map behind them with notes on them. He looked back at Clark who was readjusting his tie as she was looking everywhere but at him or Clark. Hopefully, he didn’t suspect anything. Jimmy was the worst about gossip.

“Uh, what are you guys doing in here?” Jimmy began slowly.

“Uh, we were just going over….” Lois began. Her mind didn’t want to cooperate with her at the moment.

“…some notes on the older stories linked with ‘the boss,’” Clark finished for her. He was still readjusting his tie slightly. She couldn’t help but smile knowing how affected he’d been by their teasing.

“Really?” Jimmy asked skeptically. Lois sighed. Was he buying it? Could he tell what they had been…?

“Mainly the stuff with Prometheus,” Clark said hurriedly, “What’s up?”

Jimmy nodded, “Uh, I was looking for Jack….”

Clark stiffened, “Jack?”

“Yeah, he went to go grab some lunch an hour ago and I haven’t seen him since….” Jimmy began but before he could finish Clark had raced out of the conference room and headed toward the storage closet. Jimmy looked at Lois confused, “What was that about?”

“I don’t know,” She shrugged, taking a step back into the room. She took a seat at the table, grabbing a file in front of her on the Toasters, intent on focusing on anything else at the moment. Realizing Jimmy was staring at her she gave him a glare, “What??”

Jimmy smiled broadly, “Nothing.” He whispered to himself, “I didn’t say nothing,” With that he left, closing the door behind him.

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube