Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#273259 01/09/17 10:40 AM
Morgana Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Hello FoLC's! hyper

I have noticed that there has been a complete 'silence' on the boards of late. Is everyone simply recovering from the holiday season and the demands of RL? In any case there are a few stories that no one has said anything about, such as NostalgiaKick's succinct Unmasked.

We need to support our writers so they can continue to provide the quality stories we have grown accustomed to.

That applies to me as a commenter as well. Been failing in that corridor!

As Deadly Chakram would say: Battle On!

Last edited by Morgana; 01/31/17 11:17 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Morgana #273261 01/09/17 11:10 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I've been pretty Lurky of late as well, too focused on re-reading things on the fanfic archive (currently trying to tear through the hard to read but reallly enthralling epic "On the Other Hand" by CarolM). I do still check this forum every day or every couple times a day. but it's more of a scan. I'll have to go back and do some real responding. Oh Brother... is still really neat and While "Strangers" by L is interesting (I was so curious about the Alt-Lois's background in the "Evil" world that I was trying-and failing- to plot out a good Crisis-level crossover between the three known Earths) I just never responded in part because I didn't want to taint it (I considered the original story a good stand-alone).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Morgana
Hello FoLC's! hyper

I have noticed that there has be a complete 'silence' on the boards of late. Is everyone simply recovering from the holiday season and the demands of RL? In any case there are a few stories that no one has said anything about, such as NostalgiaKick's succinct Unmasked.

We need to support our writers so they can continue to provide the quality stories we have grown accustomed to.

That applies to me as a commenter as well. Been failing in that corridor!

As Deadly Chakram would say: Battle On!

I've noticed that too. Where is everyone at? It's like after October everyone just kinda slowly disappeared.

Possible scenarios?

Election depression?

Ice Storm knocked the internet / Power out

Food Coma from the holidays

Lex Luthor has abducted our Folcs?

Tempus stole everyone's login info?

2016 ..... the year that stole our childhood. Its a lot to recover from.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Features Writer
Features Writer
Funny list folc4evernaday! laugh

RL has been my issue.

My county was hit hard by Hurricane Matthew in October. The area was like a war zone, big trees damaging power lines and buildings. Immediately after the storm, people were walking around in shock. The ground was saturated from previous rains, and the winds and rain from the hurricane brought a lot of trees down.

Everything was closed: stores including groceries & Wal-Mart for several days, schools for 2 weeks, no electricity, phone or cell phones for 5 days, no Internet for 8, and even I-95 was closed. No fast food either, as the power loss meant they and the grocery stores had to get new supplies in for both fresh and frozen foods. I spent most of the week eating canned foods that I heated on my camp stove.

Part of my roof's shingles blew off, and I'm still finding shingles in my trees. It was a month until the main road to the nearest town was repaired. There were over 50,000 workers in the area restoring services. Even my insurance adjuster traveled from Texas to South Carolina.

With all that, I haven't felt much like reading stories that are filled with angst, so I haven't commented as much as usual.

Another issue is, where are the writers? There are quite a few stories that are incomplete, and have been for weeks or months. My incentive to comment goes down when a story seems abandoned. I must admit that two of my stories I thought were complete when I posted, needed additional chapters so I've been there.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Morgana #273264 01/09/17 03:24 PM
Morgana Online Content OP
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
Another issue is, where are the writers? There are quite a few stories that are incomplete, and have been for weeks or months. My incentive to comment goes down when a story seems abandoned. I must admit that two of my stories I thought were complete when I posted, needed additional chapters so I've been there.

Many writers have abandoned their stories because of little or no feedback. People do not continue writing if the audience is silent. Many writers put in hours of research and editing to present a story that FoLCs would love to read.

On the other hand, some writers fall in love with a story and then the muse takes off, hence the fic is abandoned which is a real shame.

Those are just two of my theories. But to all of you who are reading my words, it would be amazing if occasionally a line or two about the story was dropped into the FDK folder. As someone once said, 'comments equal love'.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Many writers have abandoned their stories because of little or no feedback. People do not continue writing if the audience is silent. Many writers put in hours of research and editing to present a story that FoLCs would love to read.

It's hard to keep the muse going when you're not getting much FDK. I've been STRUGGLING to get through Ghost From the Past. WTA and WCCCD were 3x the size of this one and it wasn't nearly as hard because the boards were more active with FDK.

Those are just two of my theories. But to all of you who are reading my words, it would be amazing if occasionally a line or two about the story was dropped into the FDK folder. As someone once said, 'comments equal love'.

^WSS

Originally Posted by cuidadora
Funny list folc4evernaday! laugh

RL has been my issue.

My county was hit hard by Hurricane Matthew in October. The area was like a war zone, big trees damaging power lines and buildings. Immediately after the storm, people were walking around in shock. The ground was saturated from previous rains, and the winds and rain from the hurricane brought a lot of trees down.

Everything was closed: stores including groceries & Wal-Mart for several days, schools for 2 weeks, no electricity, phone or cell phones for 5 days, no Internet for 8, and even I-95 was closed. No fast food either, as the power loss meant they and the grocery stores had to get new supplies in for both fresh and frozen foods. I spent most of the week eating canned foods that I heated on my camp stove.

Part of my roof's shingles blew off, and I'm still finding shingles in my trees. It was a month until the main road to the nearest town was repaired. There were over 50,000 workers in the area restoring services. Even my insurance adjuster traveled from Texas to South Carolina.

With all that, I haven't felt much like reading stories that are filled with angst, so I haven't commented as much as usual.

That's awful cuidadora! I'm so sorry! Hope RL turns around soon. We've had crazy weather this past year. Hot one minute and freezing the next. What is up with that?

I've been trying to keep my posts at a weekly basis with both my current stories but sometimes RL just takes over. :P

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
Subscribe on YouTube
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cuidadora,

One way around reading stories that go unfinished is to read authors that promise up front that before the first post is made the story is complete.

I encourage all of the writers I beta for to do that. Not all take my advice. But there it is.

Rest assured, all of my stories are complete before I start to post so I cannot abandon the story.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Morgana #273267 01/09/17 04:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like Cuidadora don't care much for the high angst stuff that seems to be the norm these days so I don't read much and if I don't read much I don't FDK much. It is pretty much that straight forward.

Another possibility is that the series is reaching 20 years since the last new episode was aired and there were only 4 seasons (87 episodes). As unpopular an opinion as it may be, maybe the age is beginning to get to the source material. I mean most of the non-short (one shot to a couple of chapters) stories these days seem to be AU which makes sense given the number of times the most popular episodes have been re-hashed.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*big sigh*

I'm having the boards as my start page in the browser, so I'm here daily but due to an odd intersection of RL and time (anybody seen 2014, 2015 and 2016 lying around somewhere? I seem to have misplaced them huh), I'm very careful on starting on new, long stories. I probably need to work on that but I feel like the only thing worse than starting with a story is not getting to finish it. But yes, it *is* quiet right now. I hope it picks up again.

wave Michael, who's hoping 2017 will provide more spare time.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Morgana #273271 01/09/17 06:14 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey everyone wave...

Well, my 'quiet' has pretty much everything to do with holiday-related stuff...

December literally felt like I was just trying to stay afloat--I have a 5 and 7 year old, and there seemed to be a never-ending array of things going on and prepping for the holidays to do. Then, we hosted family at our house--which meant the few days prior to and then after the holidays were pretty busy. Then, we ended up traveling out of state to visit my husband's family for almost a week--which meant that early January was pretty busy, too. And now, wonderfully, my sister and her husband/one year old are visiting from the other side of the country. They are here for two weeks--we went to my parents house and spend a weekend there all together, and now we are planning on hosting them at our house mid-week through the weekend. So pretty much, throw regular normal busy life into a lot of extra plans and you have the situation that has unfolded here smile.

I have been constantly craving 'Lois & Clark'--the characters, all the awesome stories I've been reading here, some other stories I have started on the Archive, AND very much hanging out here with everyone. I've really missed you all and leaving FDK. (I have been--daily--checking in here. Seeing what's posted, what's going on. But I always FDK when I read, and since I havne't had time to read, I didn't have much to post).

Anyway, my absense is literally totally due to some seasonal busy times. I'm planning on being here as normal ASAP when plans slow down.

Very much want to support all the awesome talent here. You all are amazing writers, and I honestly think the world of you for keeping 'Lois & Clark' going. PLEASE continue grovel notworthy clap...

Laura

PS--Cuidadora: So sorry to hear all that you've had to go through. Thinking about you!

Last edited by LMA; 01/09/17 06:15 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Morgana #273273 01/09/17 08:48 PM
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Well, I'll admit I have always been a terrible commenter. Part of that is I never know what to say- my basic social awkwardness raising its head. As a reader, I'll try and get better at that!

This. So much this. I for one cannot write in a vacuum. I get excited to post a new chapter or a new story, and if it's a WIP, feedback (good or bad) helps spur me on to finish the story. And when you've been working on a story for a long time, finally feel ready to start posting, and you get... nothing, it's incredibly dispiriting.

Cuidadora- that's awful! I hope things are getting better for you and your county.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Morgana #273275 01/09/17 09:06 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Good question, Morgana. I've been on the MB for several years, and I noticed that participation has been gradually dropping off, but that this past year there had been a sharp decline. And its not just stories, but other sections of the MB, as well.

My silence is due to my being so overwhelmed at work that I consider myself lucky if I have ten minutes free on any given day -- weekends included. I simply haven't had time to read, let alone write, any stories lately, and that isn't likely to change until the summer at the earliest. frown

- Lynn

Morgana #273276 01/09/17 09:18 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks everyone for your concern. Things are definitely better. I'm fine, and the county is recovering. I only mentioned it to explain why I haven't been real active in comments lately. At this point, I am using fan fiction to relax, and heavy duty angst just doesn't do it.

I also understand the frustration writers have with no or few comments. It does seem as though there are really only a few people who comment regularly. And that occurs on other fan fiction boards I've seen. I must admit that I lurked for awhile before getting up the courage to register, let alone comment! It seems silly now, but I was hesitant to comment until I learned more about the boards. And both writers and readers have RL issues. Even if a story is completed, I can see there may be delays in posting when RL interferes.

Thanks, Ken. I need to check out more of your stories. And I will try to do better at commenting. It never occurred to me until a few months ago that it was okay to comment on a story that had been posted in the archives. To quote one of L&C's favorite villains, "DUH!"

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

Morgana #273282 01/10/17 12:06 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Being a lurker and not a writer, I have to say a reason for me personally is the unfinished stories. I can see both sides. The writer putting in hours crafting and honing a story (or parts of a story) to their liking, and then no feedback has to be disheartening. As the reader, investing time in the story and characters, to have it sit unfinished for weeks, months or years is a bit frustrating. That has been my main reason for the lack of comments on my side of things. Plus, the holiday craziness. Family outings, more hours of work, dealing with cranky customers (retail), all adds to less time to read and comment. That said I have been a regular follower for years. I visit here, the archive, or Anneplace on a daily basis. From a loyal follower and fan, Sarah

Morgana #273283 01/10/17 09:40 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I see a lot of things going on:
Way back when I entered the fandom, we had (Zoomway's) boards for fic and comments, but we also had a thriving IRC channel, and the people whose fic you read and who did the commenting were there to chat with and hang out with every night. You were friends...mostly. I used to comment on WIP's back then. But as time went by, a couple things happened:
- Those who made the fic boards made it clear that any type of constructive comments were not welcome, because it might hurt someone's feelings. It kinda made the comments thread a safe space before that was a thing. I have no issue with encouraging authors, but I also want to read good fic, and don't see any problem with offering some constructive feedback if it's in good faith. I lost that argument, so...I don't comment on stories anymore.
- IRC became outdated. I haven't tried to logon to the channel in probably 9 years, mostly because I would need to find a program that would get me there. I feel disconnected from the community now.
- Life happens. The people who were into the fandom are mostly gone now, no though some of us old-times come back upon occasion, I image that those of us who were college kids back then have families and lack the time to devote to all this.

I agree to some extent that the show has been gone long enough that it's getting forgotten, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised that there still is a fandom that cares. That's a testament to the show.

Personally, I still read fic, but only completed stories. Currently, I'm waiting for the Kerth list to come out to give me some reading material to dig into. To the writers out there: keep writing. And take it on faith that we're still reading, even if it's not immediate. If you believe in your story, you should have all the motivation you need.

-Cindy

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."
CLeuch #273285 01/10/17 10:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by CLeuch
Those who made the fic boards made it clear that any type of constructive comments were not welcome, because it might hurt someone's feelings. It kinda made the comments thread a safe space before that was a thing. I have no issue with encouraging authors, but I also want to read good fic and don't see any problem with offering some constructive feedback if it's in good faith. I lost that argument, so...I don't comment on stories anymore.

When did this happen? I don't remember that being a thing....(Although I was MIA from 2011-2015 due to some family issues) I always thought constructive criticism was always welcome. huh shock

IRC became outdated. I haven't tried to logon to the channel in probably 9 years, mostly because I would need to find a program that would get me there. I feel disconnected from the community now.

What is IRC? Is it a chat room?

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
folc4evernaday #273286 01/10/17 03:05 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
When did this happen? I don't remember that being a thing
It was one of the things that lead to the creation of these boards... Zoom's boards were where all fic went before. There was a bit of an acrimonious split, and here we are. Zoom's boards still have a fic section, but they are completely devoid of commenters at this point.

IRC = internet relay chat. Like I said, it is old school.
IRC information
We even got together from time to time - LAFF (L.A. FoLC Fest) was held every year starting when the show was still on the air. I went in 2002, I believe. We were a fairly close-knit group. That's part of what makes this fandom special, was how friendly everyone was. But again, time marches on, and it's hard to bring in new blood for a show that is no longer on the air. There's been some nostalgia lately, thanks to Dean Cain (and Superman) being on Supergirl...I wish the show would wind up on Netflix.

So...it's not all about the story comments, though I guess fic is what these boards are all about. A lot of my FoLC friends were into gossip, and that's fine, too. It's about the interaction and the friendships. And, of course, loving a show that was fun to watch and tickled our imaginations.

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."
CLeuch #273288 01/10/17 03:43 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When did this happen? I don't remember that being a thing
It was one of the things that lead to the creation of these boards... Zoom's boards were where all fic went before. There was a bit of an acrimonious split, and here we are. Zoom's boards still have a fic section, but they are completely devoid of commenters at this point.

Hi Cindy, not to start a discussion on comments or anything like that and I wasn't there back in the day, so I only know things via the FAQs but the entry on FDK actually is quite encouraging towards constructive criticism etc: http://www.lcficmbs.com/faqs.html#qfdk_what
Did this come about later (but before 2007, since I remember reading the FAQ back then) or is it just some misunderstanding?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Morgana #273293 01/10/17 05:44 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
There's been some nostalgia lately, thanks to Dean Cain (and Superman) being on Supergirl...I wish the show would wind up on Netflix.

Hi Cindy,

Not to hijack this thread, but a quick response is that the last 5 episodes of Supergirl are available for free on tablets and some other devices on the CW Network (no cable TV needed). You can get the apps at The CW App. As far as I know Dean Cain has not been on this season yet, although I haven't seen an episode lately.

Cuidadora

cuidadora #273294 01/10/17 05:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by cuidadora
Not to hijack this thread, but a quick response is that the last 5 episodes of Supergirl are available for free on tablets and some other devices on the CW Network (no cable TV needed). You can get the apps at The CW App. As far as I know Dean Cain has not been on this season yet, although I haven't seen an episode lately.

Roku! If you have a Roku you can get all the SuperGirl episodes for free on the CW app. wink He's in Season 2...I think it was the last episode or maybe the one before that before the holiday break.

~ Folc4evernaday

Subscribe on YouTube
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard