Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 3

Sorry for the delay. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and New Year! So, what better way to kick off the new year than new parts to fanfictions? Here's part 3 of Epiphany. Hope everyone enjoys. FDK Appreciated!

Lois slammed the door to her apartment closed and let out a shaky breath. She was home. She looked around at the familiar surroundings and headed for the bedroom to change out of her work clothes. She turned on the shower and stepped in, closing the door behind her. The water beat on her back as she leaned back against the hot water.

<<”Be careful with Lex. You don’t know him like I do,”>>

Lois winced as she felt the tight muscles in her neck begin to relax against the hot water. What had gotten into Lex tonight? He’d actually tried to grab her….Would he have tried to force her to stay with him if they hadn’t been in public?

Suddenly Clark’s warning didn’t seem that insulting. She massaged the shampoo into her hair, recalling the little conversations she’d had with Clark over the past year that hinted at his feelings for her. She’d suspected, but he’d never acted on them until now. Her lips were still tingling from that kiss.

The way he’d kissed her. It reminded her of that kiss she’d shared with Superman at the airport after he’d been sprayed by the pheromones….and the kiss she’d given Superman before he left to stop the Nightfall asteroid. There was a hunger…and desire behind it that she never suspected existed. The way he’d kissed her…

<<“But that would have to mean that I found you…Clark, you were sprayed. How come you didn’t fall for me?”

“I guess I’m just not attracted to you, Lois,”

“Liar! You are so attracted to me,”>>

Why hadn’t he been affected by the pheromones? He’d been sprayed. It would have been the perfect opportunity…She was grateful he hadn’t been affected, but it didn’t make sense. Knowing what she knew now….

<< “Your problem, Lois, is that you can’t admit your true feelings,”>>

‘What a hypocrite!’

She thought to herself. He’d been trying to guilt her into admitting she was attracted to him when he was obviously unable to admit how he felt.

‘Until now…’

That kiss. There had been so much intensity behind it…almost like he was kissing her as if his life depended on it.

<<“Have you ever lived with anyone…I mean, fulltime…with the opposite sex?”

“No, not fulltime,”

“Me neither. What do you think it’s like?”

“Scary at first,”

“Compromises,”

“Forced intimacy,”

“Sharing responsibilities,”

“Never alone,”

“Never alone,”>>

Lois shuddered involuntarily recalling the conversation they’d shared at the Lexor during their undercover assignment. She’d been desperate to clear the air somewhat after he’d kiss her to cover up the surveillance equipment when the maid had walked in. That kiss had surprised her too, but it hadn’t nearly been as intense as the one they’d shared tonight.

<<“I am just so….sick and tired of the digs and the ….jealous tantrums I could scream…”

“Jealous???”

“Are you denying it?” She challenged. When he didn’t say anything she continued, “See? You’re not even denying it!”

Then he surprised her by leaning in to kiss her, softly at first then with more intensity. To her surprise, she began to respond.>>

Why had she kissed him back? Sure, there was a part of her that was attracted to him. He was an attractive man. Anyone with a heartbeat could tell that.

<< “I said nine. I thought you’d be …naked…um, ready,”>>

She blushed when she recalled seeing him in nothing but a towel when she’d picked him up from the Apollo during their first assignment. That had been a surprise. If she hadn’t seen it for herself she never would have suspected small town, farm boy Clark Kent was built like….

“Superman,” she muttered to herself.

Where had that come from?

<<“This will work.”

“That’s a relief. Why are you so sure?”

“Because it has to.”

“Power of positive thinking, huh?”>>

Clark was definitely well-defined like him. He even had his positive attitude. It was a characteristic that annoyed her to no end with Clark, but with Superman it was endearing.

<<“I’ll be back, Lois. We’ll go flying.”

“I hope so,”

“Count on it. I’ve got to go,”

“Good luck,” Then on impulse she’d grabbed him and kissed him. That kiss had been intense. That was the kiss that had given her a glimmer of hope that there may be hope for her and Superman. >>

Was she seriously comparing Clark to Superman? Aggravated, she jerked the knob to the water off and grabbed her towel to dry off.

Tonight had scared her. When Clark had kissed her she didn’t know how to react. She’d been shocked at first then before she knew what was happening she began to kiss him back. The memory of his lips on hers sent a shiver down her spine.

She stepped out of the shower and wrapped her towel around her as she headed toward the bedroom to get ready for bed. She opened the drawer to where her nightgowns were and grabbed a tank top and shorts and put them on.

<<“Oh, I get it. You’re jealous.”

“Jealous? Are you out of your mind?” >>

She recalled the inner voice that told her differently when she’d seen Clark kiss Toni Taylor as a distraction for her to get out of there. When she was finally alone she’d admitted to herself that she was jealous. She hadn’t had time to think too much about that feeling because Lex had shown up.

<<“Lex, what were you doing at the Metro Club?”

“Meeting with the new leader of the Metro gang. She called me. According to her, we have similar interests in the Riverview district.”

“I find that hard to believe.”

“So, do I. She talks a good line: slum clearance, uplifting the neighborhood, micromanagement, growth and prosperity.”

“And you believe her?”

“Not for a minute. In fact, I think the whole thing was designed to get me to slow down my own plans for reviving the area. She even suggested a partnership of sorts.”

“And what are you doing here?”

“I came to warn you. I think Toni's hiding something.”

“What?”

“I wish I knew. I only know that if I were a smart reporter looking for answers, I wouldn't bother to look any further for the source of all the problems in Riverview than Toni Taylor.”

“Thanks for the tip. I guess I owe you one.”

“Don't think I won't try to collect.”>>

Her eyes shot wide open for a moment as the wheels in her head began to turn. Why had Lex told her to only look at Toni Taylor?

<<“He’s a murderer!”>>

Clark’s words echoed through her mind and she shook her head. No, Lex was a lot of things but there was no way he…

‘The boss is linked to the Toasters…’

“Now, I’m sounding like Clark…” she muttered to herself. There was no way Lex could have known who Toni was working with. Obviously, he’d just been duped.

‘Or had he?’

That warning from Clark was so cryptic. She didn’t understand any of this. She knew she cared about him…more than she’d been willing to admit to herself. It was obvious he cared about her. If that kiss had proven anything tonight it was just how much he cared.

<<“Clark, whether or not that memory of yours comes back, I just want you to know I think you’re terrific.”

“Likewise,”

“I mean, I love you…..like a brother,” >>

She had been quick to recover. Trying to cover up the feelings that began to make their way to the forefront of her mind before she was forced to deal with them…Clark hadn’t seemed to notice….or had he?

<<“I write as well as you do. I’m vastly more fun at parties, but you are the star here….Chief’s favorite….in on all the action. Oh, and when you get into trouble look who’s hanging around to come to the rescue? Not only a cute guy…but a GOD in a CAPE!!!”

“But I…”

“No, no, no, you asked; I’m answering. You’ve got something the rest of us just don’t have Lois.”>>

Cat was right. Clark and Superman had been there for her when her life had been threatened. She’d never thought of Clark as being the person she’d turn to when her life was in danger but she’d felt safe with him. After he’d stopped that Mr. Makeup from choking her he’d been overprotective and trying his best to keep her safe. He was there when she needed him.

<<“Lois! You don’t sneak up on somebody at a time like this.”

“A time like what?”

“Somebody just tried to kill you!”

“Yes, you!” >>

<<“Maybe I’d better stay with you tonight.”

“Nice try, Kent,”

“Somebody just tried to take a shot at you!”>>

<<“The only danger to me out there was caused by guess who?”

“Someone who saved your life today,”

“That was earlier,”

“But I did save it. You admit that.”>>

<<“So what you’re saying is that you saved my life twice today?”

“Yes,”

“Do you know the odds against that?”>>

<<“He tried to kill me…”

“I’ll find him…”

“No….Please don’t leave me…”

“I won’t. I’m here. I’m right here.”>>

Lois shuddered involuntarily recalling just how scared she had been when Clark had found her that morning. She recalled how her first reaction that evening after being threatened by Barbara Trevino was to find Clark. That had surprised her. She wasn’t normally an emotional person. She didn’t scare easily. When an immediate threat was in her life she’d either handle it herself or ….call Superman. Though recently she found herself turning to Clark more and more….What did that mean?

<<“Clark, I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but…”

“What?”

“I guess I’d just feel better if I could…”

“Stay here tonight?”

“Yeah….”>>

<< “Your problem, Lois, is that you can’t admit your true feelings,”>>

A knock at the door broke her from her reverie. She glanced at the clock. Who could that be?

She grabbed a robe and reached for the door, “Clark, what are you doing here?”

Clark knew he should just leave it alone. He knew he was probably just borrowing trouble right now but he just couldn’t help himself. He couldn’t just leave things like this. He’d seen Lois outside her apartment with Luthor. He couldn’t help himself. He had to hear what she had said.

<<“I can’t deal with ….this….whatever it is….It just isn’t ….I can’t do this anymore….” >>

<<“No, I don’t need any space anymore…I think we just shouldn’t see each other anymore….”>>

Space. She had asked Luthor for space. He smiled to himself. Even if she pulled away from him after this it would be worth it. She may never forgive him, but he was willing to take that chance as long as it guaranteed that Luthor was no longer a fixture in Lois’ life. It seemed Luthor didn’t take it well but Lois was quick to nip it in the bud and tell him to let go of her arm rather loudly for the bystanders to hear. He’d been ready to step in if needed if Luthor were to try anything but thankfully he had been too stunned to do anything.

Now here he was standing outside her apartment door, trying to get the nerve to knock.
‘Here goes nothing,’ He lifted his hand up to knock on Lois’ door.

He heard her rustling inside the apartment before answering the door, “Clark, what are you doing here?”

“We need to talk…” He said stepping inside as she opened the door for him to enter.

She was quiet for a moment, “Oh, now you want to talk,” She said softly as she closed the door.

He winced, “I shouldn’t have done that,”

She crossed her arms over her chest, circling him, “Then, why did you?”

He twisted his mouth slightly, unsure of how to answer, “I think you know the answer to that,” He said catching her gaze.

Lois caught his gaze and turned away, “What did you want to talk about?”

How in the world did he even begin to tell her what he wanted to tell her? ‘Hey Lois you know that guy you’ve been obsessed with for the last year? That’s me. The guy you can’t even give the time of day to,’

‘Yeah right,’ He thought to himself.

Baby steps….

She was doing everything she could do avoid his gaze. He knew she’d been just as affected by their kiss as he had. Maybe there was a chance? She was in love with his alter-ego. It had torn him up for almost a year….watching her ignore him while swooning over Superman. If he did this there was no going back. He would never know if she would ever have just loved him…Clark Kent.

<< “What do you mean, ‘he?’ Clark, you speak as if Superman were someone else. You are Superman, Clark.”

“I guess I feel like I’m losing myself to the man in the red, yellow and blue suit,”

“It’s the man beneath the suit that we care about,”>>

<<“Clark, it's obvious you love her. Even if you’re not ready to act on it yet….for whatever reason your father and I don’t understand….”

“Because she doesn’t….”

“You are putting her at risk every moment you don’t tell her what you know. If even a fraction of what you have told us about this man is true….Do you seriously want to leave Lois with this man?”>>

“I wanted to talk to you about….us,” He said softly taking a step toward her.

“Us?” Lois shook her head. “Look, just because I was too shocked to react earlier doesn’t mean ….”

“You didn’t seem in shock to me,” He smirked.

Lois glared at him. “You took me by surprise,”

He took another step toward her, “You kissed me back,”

“I was…curious…” She said hurriedly, not looking up at him.

“Curious?” He echoed. “About what?”

“Clark, don’t…” She said softly. He could tell she was scared. Not of him, persé but the situation. Over the past year, he’d learned that no matter how fearless Lois Lane was in her professional life…when it came to her personal life she was terrified of a relationship….of getting her heart broken. “…don’t make me say it,”

He had to take this slow. The last thing he wanted to do was scare her off. Right now she seemed like she was teetering on the edge. “Okay,” He said softly. “I want you to have dinner with me,”

Lois glanced at him with an amused expression, “It’s a bit late for dinner don’t you think?”

“No, I mean, yes, it’s late for dinner tonight, but…” He ran a hand through his hair, unsure of how to continue. “I want you to go out with me,”

Lois let out a sharp breath, “You’re asking me out?” She sighed, seeming to mull it over. He lowered his head for a moment, unsure of what her reaction was going to be. She seemed to sense his nervousness and placed a hand on his cheek, “Like a date?”

“Yes,” He whispered, meeting her gaze. She was nervous. He could hear her heart pounding in her chest.

“Clark, this is….”

He cut her off, pushing ever so slightly, “Lois, I know what you’re going to say. You probably have a list a mile long about why not to, but just hear me out…I’m crazy about you. If this evening proved anything….I think maybe you feel the same way.” She didn’t say anything. He moved to cup her cheek. “I’m not Claude and I’m not Paul. I would never betray you like that. All I’m asking for is a chance.”

“Clark, we work together….everyday….We’re partners! What if it doesn’t work out and….” Her voice grew shaky.

His thumb moved to trace her jaw line and he felt her defenses coming down, “What if it does?”

“Just dinner?” She asked.

“Just dinner,” He repeated.

“And if it doesn’t work out?” She prompted.

“We’ll always be friends,” He promised.

Her defenses seemed to have fallen completely as she mulled it over, “I don’t think I could handle us not being friends…”

“I couldn’t either, Lois, you mean too much to me,” He wanted so badly to kiss her again but he was afraid of pushing too much. “I ….”

She cut him off as she leaned up to kiss him and whispered, “Okay,” as she slowly broke off the kiss.

He let out a sigh of relief, smiling broadly at her. He rested his head against hers. “Tomorrow night?”

She nodded, “That’s fine,”

Lex stared at the security system hidden in his office angrily. He hit the rewind button and hit play again, watching the scene unfold once more. One moment Lois was jabbing Kent in the chest and appeared to be yelling at him and the next moment he leaned in and kissed her. Not, a soft peck….No…

Lex threw the remote angrily. “How dare he? He had the nerve to….”

After learning of Lois’ past he’d gone out of his way to take things slow with her physically…show her he could be a gentleman. It appeared Kent thought he had a right to…

“No wonder she was so traumatized,” He mused as a calm began to fall over him as he watched Lois push away from Kent and run out of the conference room. It appeared she didn’t appreciate the gesture. Kent seemed to be shocked when she left. Lex smiled to himself. There was no way Lois Lane would ever seriously entertain the idea of anything serious or romantic with that hack. He was beneath her. It appeared to have shaken her quite a bit. She said she needed space but right now he wasn’t willing to give her too much space.

Lois sighed, leaning against the door frame of her apartment, closing the door after Clark. She glanced at the clock and sighed. It was times like this she wished Lucy was still living in Metropolis with her. She missed being able to talk to her about anything at any time of night. It was ten o’clock in Metropolis which meant it was only seven in California. Maybe she could catch Lucy before she got too far into study mode.

She reached for the phone and dialed her sister’s number, listening as the phone began to ring, playing a techno tune in the background. She would never understand her sister’s fascination with those ringback tones. It was just annoying. Maybe someone doesn’t like the song? Ever think of that?

“Hello?” Lucy answered the phone.

“Lucy, you’re up!” Lois sighed in relief when her sister answered the phone.

“Yes, that’s why I answered the phone, Lois,” Lucy teased. “What’s up?”

“So, how’s California?” Lois asked, not wanting to get into what she was calling about just yet. It had been awhile since they’d been able to catch up.

“It’s good. I’ve been trying to work odd end jobs…” Lucy began.

“I thought you were working with dad?” Lois asked.

Lucy sighed, “Lois, I don’t know why I thought this was going to be worth it. After that fiasco with Menken I thought maybe daddy had changed…He seemed willing to try….Now, it’s nothing but work…again,”

“I’m sorry, Luce,” Lois said softly. Images of the fights she’d had with her dad over the years came rushing back. She hated the fact that her sister had to figure out the hard way just how much Dr. Sam Lane didn’t prioritize his family over his work, but maybe Lucy would move back….She missed her. She worried about her taking a semester off from school to work on her relationship with their dad.

“Its fine,” Lucy sighed. “I met a few friends and I’m just going to make the most of this time off. I may come back to Metropolis in a few months…”

“Really?” Lois asked happily.

“Don’t sound so excited, sis,” Lucy laughed. “You miss me?”

“You know I do, Luce, it’s just not the same without you here,”

“I miss you too, sis,” Lucy said with a sigh, “So, how are things? Planet still keeping you busy?”

“Yeah,” Lois nodded. “It’s been a crazy few months.”

“You still seeing Lex Luthor?” Lucy teased.

Lois sighed, “Well…”

“Ah,” Lucy nodded. “What happened?”

“I’m taking a bit of a …break from Lex.” Lois said slowly.

“Thank God!” Lucy said in relief.

“Lucy???” Lois laughed. “You were the one that was pushing me to date him,”

“That was when you didn’t have any other suitors.” Lucy corrected “I was trying to make sure you didn’t end up an old maid…but Lex just didn’t seem to fit with you very well…Plus, didn’t you think it odd that he never asked about your family or cared to….”

“Lex, is a busy man….” Lois began to argue.

“Lois, he was dating you….pursuing you…I never met the guy once when I was in Metropolis. You were going out for almost a year and you still didn’t know much about the guy. Don’t you find that a bit odd?”

“Well, I…”

“I mean, I know more about Clark than I do about Lex….” Lucy continued. “Anyway, you can do better. You’ve got prospects…”

“What prospects do you think I have?” Lois asked dryly.

“Uh, what about Clark? He’s pretty cute. I think he likes you…”

“Lucy…” Lois could feel the blush creeping on her cheeks.

“Come on, Lois….” Lucy said. “It’s been three years since Claude…”

“I know, that’s actually what I wanted…”

“Have you SEEN the way he looks at you? I mean, I would kill to have a guy look at me like that…”

“Like what?” Lois asked.

“Like you’re the only person in the room….like…like you’re the only person in the world…like…”

“Okay, I get it!” Lois said, knowing just where her sister’s mind was going. “Clark is who I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Really?” Lucy asked intrigued. “Keep talking…”

“He kissed me,” Lois said softly.

“Oh, my God! Define kissed you…” Lucy pressed.

“Kissed me…kissed me…like…”

“Kissed you like, ‘make your knees weak’ kissed you?” Lucy asked with intrigue.

“More like ‘make my toes curl’ kiss,” Lois corrected with a shaky breath.

“Wow,” Lucy said with a sigh. “So, he kissed you…then what happened?”

“Before I knew what had happened I kissed him back…then he broke off the kiss and …I ran,” Lois admitted shyly.

“Of course you did,” Lucy sighed, “Lois, you have got to stop running from real relationships…”

“I know,” Lois admitted, “Anyway, I have been mulling it over for the last hour trying to figure out what to do next then next thing I know Clark showed up here and…”

Lucy squealed in laughed, “Are you serious? Please tell me you let him in…”

“Yes, I let him in…” Lois sighed, recalling how terrified she’d been. Part of her wanted to just slam the door in his face, but another part…the part that had been curious and kissed him back…wanted him to stay.

“And?” Lucy prompted in a sing-song voice. “Lois?”

Lois sighed, “And he asked me out…”

“On a date??” Lucy squealed in excitement, “You said yes right?”

Lois sighed, “Yes, eventually,”

“Eventually?’ Lucy echoed. “Lois you have a hot guy that is also your best friend and wants to date you. There is no eventually.”

“No, see, there is an eventually….because I….”

“Three years, Lois,” Lucy reminded her. “It’s been three years,”

“He hurt me,” Lois said softly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“He’s not Claude,” Lucy reminded her.

“I know that,” Lois said softly. “It’s scary,” She sniffed, wiping her cheek as the tears began to fall slowly.

“I know, but you can’t hide forever.” Lucy reminded her. “Besides, do you really want to turn into mom?”

“God, no!” Lois admonished. Their mother had been alone and miserable since their parents’ divorce. She was bitter and angry and let everyone around her know it.

“So, go on a date with Clark…let him kiss you senseless and ….let him IN!” Lucy said emphatically. “He may not be Superman but he is a nice guy and he does care about you,”

“So what am I supposed to do with these feelings I still have for Superman? How can I have feelings for…”

“I don’t think you have feelings for Superman,” Lucy argued.

“You don’t?” Lois asked.

“No, you have a….celebrity crush…an infatuation….or whatever….but there’s no way you could have real feelings for him. You don’t even know him…”

“I know enough…” Lois sniffed.

“Right?” Lucy asked, “What’s his name?”

“Superman,” Lois said.

“Not the name you named him, Lois, but his real name. You gave him the name Superman, remember? You are afraid of being hurt so you throw yourself into relationships with unattainable men. If Superman were to walk up to you right now and declare his love for you you would run for the hills…” Lucy continued.

“That is not….” Lois stopped, realizing a little bit of truth that was behind Lucy’s words.

“Fine. Stay in denial all you want,” Lucy continued. “So, what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to go out with Clark tomorrow night,” Lois said softly.

“And?”

Lois smiled, “And you’re going to come back home to Metropolis because I miss you,”

“I miss you too, sis,” Lucy admitted. “Maybe I could come in for a week or two? Make sure you don’t talk yourself out of a healthy relationship…”

“Look who’s talking….” Lois admonished.

“At least I’m not afraid to let people in. I may get my heart broken but I’m not afraid to try,” Lucy corrected. “Take a chance, Lois, please,”

“Okay,” Lois said softy as a tear ran down her cheek.

Clark sighed, resting his head against the soft pillow of his bed as he willed sleep to come. After Lois had left the Planet he decided to do his patrol around Metropolis. It had been fairly quiet. He’d stopped by Jack’s to check in on him. After taking him to visit Denny for a few minutes he’d brought him back and then headed toward Lois’ apartment to talk to her. He’d watched as Luthor drove away with a smirk. It felt good to know that him kissing Lois had affected her so much. He never wanted to push her for more than friendship until she was ready but with Luthor in her life, he’d been afraid of what could happen. He could live with her loving only Superman if it meant keeping Lex Luthor away from Lois.

Tonight, he’d been ready to tell her everything then when he’d seen the look in her eyes…fear…he’d chickened out. He didn’t want to push things with her. He had made his decision he would tell her…but not when she was still so emotional. He’d take her to dinner then afterward he would tell her he was Superman…then he’d beg for forgiveness and tell her everything about Luthor. He couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off his face. She’d kissed him back…..and she’d agreed to go out with him. That had to mean something. Could she possibly…

He cringed inwardly as he imagined the worst case scenarios of what would happen when he told her everything. Would she hate him? Would she be able to forgive him for lying to her for almost a year? Everything was finally falling into place but…

‘You can’t have a relationship with her without telling her,’ He reminded himself.

Part of him had been tempted not to tell her yet…to wait. She was no longer seeing Luthor so what was the harm? Of course, another part of him….the part that sounded a lot like his mom told him otherwise.

<<“All my life you guys have told me never to tell anyone…”

“Lois is different,”

“She’s family,” >>

Family. That was what his mom had called Lois. He prayed one day she would be…if she didn’t pull away from him after he told her the truth…

<<“Clark, we work together….everyday….We’re partners! What if it doesn’t work out and….”

“What if it does?”

“Just dinner?”

“Just dinner,”

“And if it doesn’t work out?”

“We’ll always be friends,”>>

He silently prayed he would be able to keep that promise as he drifted into a fitful sleep.

The next day Perry had decided to go over budget cuts that were being made at the Planet. After the fiasco with Carpenter the Planet was still recovering. Perry had moved everything they’d had on ‘the boss’ to the smaller conference room as he went over the latest orders from Accounting, “No more paid lunches….special requests for anything over fifty dollars has to come with manager approval,” Perry continued.

Clark sighed, shaking his head. He knew it was only a matter of time before the Planet bounced back but it was frustrating having to deal with budget cuts like this. It meant if they paid for lunch for a source it’d be coming out of their own pocket.

He glanced next to him and smiled when he caught Lois’ gaze. She had come in an hour later than normal this morning. He hadn’t had a chance to talk to her before the meeting. He noticed it looked like she’d gotten her nails done. He’d also noticed her casting hidden glances at him during the meeting.

He did his best to avoid being too conspicuous. The last thing he needed right now was for him to give the Planet gossip hounds something to run their mouth about. For now at least he wanted to keep things quiet…let things progress naturally without everyone sticking their nose in where it didn’t belong. He didn’t think Lois would appreciate being the subject of the Planet gossip either….especially after what happened with Claude.

He noticed a notepad shoved in his lap from underneath the table and held in a chuckle when he read it.

//Stop looking at your lap. You’re going to make people start to talk//

He caught her gaze and smirked for a moment then took a pen and responded.

//Can’t help it. Keep thinking about last night//

He watched the slow smile form across her face and watched as she scribbled something else on the notepad.

//Me too//

He caught her gaze and smiled back. She seemed to be thinking of something else to write when Perry interrupted their private conversation, “Lois, Clark, that ‘boss’ stuff you two were working on yesterday….How far did you get?”

Lois sighed, “Um, not as far as we’d like…”

“….there’s still a lot of ….holes….” He added.

“But we’re definitely onto something big….” They both said in unison.

Perry eyed them critically for a moment then nodded. Did he know? Clark held in a sigh. Of course, he knew. He was Perry White. Nothing went on in the newsroom without Perry being wise to it. Perry let out a low drawl, “Uh-huh, well, I want to see what you’ve got. If you have enough for print maybe we can get something in the afternoon edition?”

Lois shook her head, “It’s still a bit too sketchy for print….” Clark nodded his agreement.

Perry nodded, “Okay, well stay on it. I’ll see you two after this meeting.”

They nodded their agreement. Perry turned to the chart behind him and continued. He let out a sigh in relief and then felt the notepad land on his lap once more. He glanced at Lois who looked away, trying to give the pretense of paying attention to Perry’s speech.

//Where are we going for dinner? What do I need to wear?//

He fought the urge to laugh, opting for a smirk instead and responded, handing the notepad back to her.

//It’s a surprise. Wear whatever you want. You look gorgeous in anything.//

He saw the blush on her cheeks and smiled to himself. She scribbled something else on the notepad and handed it back to him.

//I hate surprises,//

He sighed, recalling their conversation about magic during their research on the illusionist, Constance that was kidnapping children for money.

//Not this one. Dinner and optional dancing. That’s all I’m telling you.//

She smirked and looked back at him. He couldn’t help but smile. He could see the wheels turning in her head, “Okay, that’s it,” Perry said, clapping his hands. “Let’s get to it!” He turned to Lois and Clark, “You two, meet me in the other conference room in five with everything you’ve got on this ‘boss.’”

They nodded their agreement and headed for the smaller conference room where their research had been moved to get ready for their meeting with Perry.

After their meeting with Perry Lois and Clark headed back toward their desks and found Lois’ desk covered in three dozen bouquets of roses. Clark bit the inside of his lower lip to suppress the groan and curse he wanted to make. He knew those were not from him and there was only one other person who would….

She stared at her desk in shock, taking the note from the roses and shook her head in disgust. “Nice to know he can listen,” she handed him the note and shook her head in disgust. “I’ve got an appointment….Can you get Jimmy to …..do something with these? I really don’t want these here when I get back…”

He nodded, “Yeah, no problem,” He watched her grab her things and head out then turned to read the note she’d handed him.

//Lois,

I know you need space. Please know I’m thinking of you.

Lex//

Clark crumbled up the note in his hand then called Jimmy over, “Jimmy?”

“What’s up CK?” Jimmy asked.

“Lois had to run an errand….Can you do something with these? Lois said she didn’t want them here when she came back….” At Jimmy’s confused look he continued, “Maybe check with hospitals or nursing homes or even shelters to see if any of them would be interested in a flower delivery? I’ll do the drop off if needed…”

Jimmy gave him a perplexed look then nodded, “Sure thing CK,” He headed to his desk to make some calls.

Clark silently willed his anger to subside. Things were different now. He was not going to let Luthor ruin what had started out to be a wonderful day. He had too much riding on tonight to let himself dwell on his anger at Luthor. He headed toward the small conference room where most of the research they’d done the previous day was still set up and found Jack staring at the board. “Hey, how you doing?”

Jack smiled at him, “Still a lot of holes huh?”

Clark nodded, “Yeah, we’re still trying to piece it together.”

Jack was quiet a moment then said, “I’m thinking about going to the police about Luthor,”

“What?” Clark asked, surprised.

“I’ve got to cover my back….Denny’s….” Jack began.

“You don’t know Luthor like I do,” Clark began. He really didn’t want to go to the police until they had more to go on. Luthor had too many people in his pocket “I really don’t think we should go to the police just yet,” Clark said. “You have a feeling….There isn’t anything concrete to pin on him yet,”

Jack shook his head, “I lived on the streets for two years relying on my gut. I’m telling you I know something’s up. What happens if we wait too long and he tries to…”

“Superman isn’t going to let anything happen to you, Jack, and neither am I,” Clark reassured him.

“What are you going to do?” Jack asked. “You don’t know what he’s gonna do any more than Superman does….It's not like the guy can watch me 24/7.” Jack shook his head. “No, I know people like him. They get what they want by making moves behind the scenes…never get caught but have plenty of police and politicians in their pocket for a rainy day….We gotta bring him down…”

“I agree,” Clark nodded. “I just don’t want to make a move until we have something more to go on than your blindfolded ID,” Clark shook his head in frustration and crossed his arms over his chest as he stared down at the table in front of him.

“You think he’s the boss don’t you?” Jack asked.

Clark didn’t say anything. “I don’t know. I have my suspicions….”

“…but nothing concrete…” Jack sighed. “You don’t know how guys like him work. You’re never going to have anything concrete. If you do he’ll use threats and intimidation to stop you. That’s how guys like him work.”

“Jack, I’m not going to let anything happen to Denny. Just trust me….” Clark pleaded.

Jack sighed. “Thanks for having Superman take me to see him. He’s a mess right now. After our parents died….for so long I was all he had,”

“I know,” Clark said. “Which is why I want to be very very smart about this. No going to the police until we have enough to start an investigation,”

Jack nodded, “Okay,”

A knock at the conference room door caught their attention and they looked over to see Jimmy carrying a stack of files. “Chief said to pull all the research on you and Lois’ stories over the last year. Where do you want it?” He struggled under the weight of the folders, “Hopefully somewhere close?”

“Here,” Clark took the stack from Jimmy and placed it on the table and Jimmy sighed in relief. “Thanks Jimmy,”

Jimmy nodded and looked at Clark with a smile. “No sweat, CK. Coates Orphanage is coming by to pick up the flowers for their Spring festival within the hour. Should be gone by the time Lois gets back,”

Clark nodded, “Thanks Jimmy I owe you one,”

Jimmy wore a broad grin and Jack looked at him with a smirk, “What’s with the face? You swallow a hanger or something?”

Jimmy laughed and shook his head, “No,” He looked at Clark expectantly.

“What?” Clark looked back at him impatiently, unsure of what Jimmy was staring at him for.

“Oh, just wondering what was up with you and Lois during the meeting this morning?” Jimmy pressed, taking a seat at the table.

Clark sighed, “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, come on, CK, don’t give me that,” Jimmy folded his hands behind his head and wore a grin that would have made the Cheshire cat envious, “You two were passing notes during the meeting….and grinning at each other….then finishing each other’s sentences and agreeing….You two never agree on anything….then Lois is wanting the roses from Luthor gone and you’re helping….What’s up?”

Clark gave him his best innocent look and just shrugged. He didn’t dare try to deny anything because he knew what a terrible liar he was. The excuses he’d come up with for his Superman rescues were getting lamer and lamer.

Thankfully Jack interjected, pushing Jimmy’s feet off the table, “I think if Clark wanted to tell you …you’d know,” Jack pushed past Jimmy, “I gotta get back to work,”

Jimmy watched Jack leave and smiled with a knowing look, “Come on, I’m not going to tell anyone. What’s going on? Rumor has it she dumped Luthor last night….now you two are ….VERY cozy this morning….what gives?”

Hearing a cry for help he leapt to his feet to leave, “I gotta go….”

“But….”

“See you later,” He said, racing out of the conference room. He headed toward the storage closet with the only window high enough he could fly out of and headed toward the cries for help that only he could hear at the moment.

After her hair appointment, Lois headed to Luthor Towers to confront Lex about the flowers. He obviously was having a hard time understanding the word, ‘no’ but there was no way she was going to even entertain the idea of anything with him while she was seeing Clark. After his heartfelt confession and her talk with Lucy last night she had decided to take a chance and see where this thing with Clark went. If that kiss was any indication of what was to come ….

She let out a shaky breath and stepped off the elevator to enter Lex Luthor’s office. In his office she found a tall brunette in a sharp business suit with a skirt way too short and a blouse way too low cut. She shook her head in disgust, crossing her arms over her chest. “May I help you?”

“I need to talk to Lex,” Lois said coolly.

“He’ll just be a minute,” the woman said with a smile.

Los nodded, “I’ll wait,”

A few uncomfortable minutes passed and Lex entered the office from another door that was hidden behind the bookcase. Lois arched an eyebrow uneasily. Why hadn’t she ever noticed that before? Had he ever used that door in front of her before?

“Lois, so good to see you darling,” Lex said with a smile, leaning in to kiss her.

She stepped out of his grasp and turned back to him. “What part of we shouldn’t see each other anymore don’t you get?”

“You said you needed space,” He corrected.

“Until you tried to ‘handle’ me then I decided I needed permanent space,” Lois snapped irritably. “Don’t send me flowers. Don’t send me gifts. Do not call me. Got it?”

“Lois…” He began.

“I’m serious!” Lois snapped. “You know Clark tried to warn me for months that I didn’t know you…that I….”

“Ah, yes, the accusations from Kent,” Lex mused. “He’s just jealous, Lois….of what we have….you can’t….”

“Of what we….? Wow….Do you hear yourself? Lex, what we have is….is NOTHING….” Lois fumed.

Lex ignored the statement and continued, trying to throw on the charm. “I know you were upset last night after what happened with you and Kent but that’s no reason to…”

“How do you know something happened last night with me and Clark?” Lois accused. “Are you spying on me??” His eyes widened slightly and she let out an inaudible curse, “Stay the hell away from me,” She snapped before leaving.

Once he made sure all passengers were safe after he stopped a train near the Metropolis Transit Railroad that had lost control when the brakes went out, Clark headed to Smallville to discuss the latest developments with his parents. Jack was convinced Luthor would come after him. He was paranoid, but for good reason. He still hadn’t talked to Lois about what Jack had confided in him. Lois had said she was taking a break from Lex Luthor for the moment so at least for a little while she was out of his reach, but he knew she wasn’t going to be safe until she saw Luthor for who he really was. Jack’s paranoia about Luthor got Clark thinking about what would happen if Luthor were to come after him. He needed to make sure his parents were protected. He needed to warn them.

Clark flew up to the familiar barn and saw his dad was on the ladder, painting. He floated up behind him and placed a hand on his dad’s back as he said, “Hey, dad, need some help?”

“Clark!” Jonathan looked a bit shaken, looking back at his son who still donned the superhero uniform, “Warn me next time you sneak up on me like that.”

“Sorry, dad,” Clark said sheepishly before changing into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, grabbing another bucket of paint and opening it. He dipped a spare brush in the paint and floated up next to his dad to help.

Jonathan eyed him with a knowing look, “Something you want to talk about, son?”

Clark sighed, “I’m a bit nervous about tonight,” He couldn’t help but smile.

“Tonight?”

“I’m taking Lois to dinner tonight,” Clark said with a grin. He couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off his face.

Jonathan sighed, “Dinner? So have you two talked?”

“Sort of,” Clark admitted sheepishly.

“Clark…” Jonathan began with a look of disapproval.

“I was going to tell her everything last night….I had it planned out in my mind and then….”

“What do you mean you WERE going to tell her last night?” Jonathan pressed.

“I don’t know what happened. I just….kissed her.” His father’s eyebrows rose and Clark nodded sheepishly, “I think I scared her.”

“Right into Lex Luthor’s arms?” Jonathan shook his head in disgust.

“No,” Clark shook his head. “I overheard her tell him she didn’t want to see him anymore after….”

“Overheard her?” Jonathan looked at him with disapproval.

“I know, I shouldn’t have been listening in but I couldn’t help it,” Clark admitted sheepishly. “Anyway I went and talked to her afterward…”

“But you still haven’t told her?”

Clark shook his head, “No, I asked her out on a date and she said yes. Well actually she kissed me and then said yes, but…”

Jonathan wore an amused look as Clark fumbled to find his words. He was nervous. He knew his dad could tell. “So she kissed you huh?”

“Yeah,” Clark smiled broadly, recalling the kiss in Lois’ apartment.

“Who kissed who?” Martha asked, walking up to them with a tray of lemonade. Clark smiled broadly and Martha seemed to be able to tell from Clark’s expression who had been kissed. “Did you finally tell her?”

Clark shook his head, “Not yet,”

“Clark,” Martha gave him that motherly tone.

Jonathan interrupted, patting Clark on the back, “Now, Martha, he knows what he’s got to do. He’s going to tell her tonight…on his date…with Lois,”

Martha smiled conspiratorially, “Oh, really?”

Clark smiled shyly, “Yes, really. I’m going to tell her tonight….but that’s not the reason I came out here,”

“Oh, I thought it was to help paint the barn,” Jonathan teased, flicking him with his paint brush.

Clark laughed, “I wish. No, it’s about Luthor…”

TBC...

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube