Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#273147 12/27/16 06:13 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Carrie Fisher Dead at 60

Carrie Fisher suffered a heart attack during a London to L.A. flight on December 23. She was taken to a hospital, where she died on December 27, 2016.

This year has taken a lot of great people.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Growing up, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia was the first strong female character I saw. She could be herself and not be nice & polite to get ahead. She could save herself, fight the bad guys, stand up for herself, and give the heroes just as good as they gave it to her. Han, Luke, Chewie, and the Rebels all saw her as an equal to them. She was only treated as a "Princess" (weak, inferior, etc.) by the bad guys.

On a romantic side, Leia could get the guy despite wearing long dresses and/or a military uniform (of the Rebels). Everyone always brings up the gold bikini (RotJ), but Han Solo never saw Leia wearing it. He was blind when he woke up from carbonite freeze and by the time he got his sight back, she had already left Jaba's palace. The next time we see her, she isn't a Princess any longer, but a general (I can't recall when she gets this title, it might have been during Empire).

I know that Carrie Fisher didn't write this character (thank you, George Lucas), but she embodied Leia and made her real to this 6 year old girl who otherwise only saw weak females portrayed on TV and in movies. Star Wars became my favorite movie in 1977 and hasn't dropped from the #1 spot (although, technically, The Empire Strikes Back may have replaced it, but I often consider those first 3 SW movies as one). She will be sorely missed as the embodiment of female strength and power. More strong female characters followed her, including Ripley (Alien/Aliens) and Joan Wilder (Romancing the Stone). I liked the Lois Lane of LnC because despite needed to be rescued by Superman, one always had a feeling that if Superman didn't make it, Lois just might figure out a way to get out of her current mess herself.

Carrie Fisher, you inspired a generation of women to stand up for themselves and demand that they be treated better than a damsel in distress. Thank you. You will be missed.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
While I grew up with the Avengers (the British TV series, not the comic) which had a series of strong female characters, I think her role in Star Wars was the first of its type in SF film, and paved the way for others. She'll be missed.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Debbie Reynolds Dies at 84

Now Fisher's mother has died, too, one day after her daughter.

That poor family.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Myxy, where are you? We need a 2016 re-do!

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
2016: The Movie - it's a fake horror film trailer!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was a truly interesting piece of work and they completed it before William Christopher died today. 2016 the gift that keeps on giving...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
That was a truly interesting piece of work and they completed it before William Christopher died today. 2016 the gift that keeps on giving...
mecry

I'm so glad that 2016 is now over so people can finally stop dying. Sigh.

/Yes, I know the truth, but I'm in denial./

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
At least no one else can die in 2016. Happy New Year?

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard