Fallout - 2016 - Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG3 16/16

Previously

He talked it over with Lara. “What do I do Sis? She’s the one; I know she is, but all these years I’ve been with Morgana.” His voice trailed off as if he couldn’t express his feelings.

“You both knew that this could happen. You were up front with her right from the start, weren’t you?”

“Of course I was and yeah, we both knew that this could happen, but that doesn’t make this any easier. She’s gonna be crushed. We’ve gotten so close over the last four years.”

“Just how close have you gotten, Bro?”

“Well, not that close … not that way. We’re just friends.”

“It’s been four years. Have you been close enough for your aura to…?”

“No, we aren’t close that way.”

“Okay, so she can’t be pregnant. That’ll make it easier.”

“Not really. We have gotten extremely close. How could you help it in four years? What should I do?”

“My suggestion is … be up front. Don’t beat around the bush, but don’t be harsh.”

Straight out of college, Morgana had taken a job with a newspaper. She’d had some aspirations toward being a reporter; however, after almost six months as a gofer and then several months doing the obits, she had decided that the newspaper game was not for her. She had left that job and had recently taken a job that her college education had prepared her for with a book publisher as an editor.

When she had first started, as part of the check-in process, she had been set up with a computer. The IT tech that set her up was named Tim. While he set up her equipment and account, they had chatted. Morgana hadn’t been too thrilled about the interest he had displayed and had tried to dissuade him, but he persisted. Finally, she had pointed to the picture on her desk of her and Jon, it was the picture take at his graduation where she was wearing his letterman’s jacket, and asked, “What do you think of my boyfriend?”

Noting that the picture had been taken some time previously, he commented, “If he was that good a boyfriend, you wouldn’t still be boyfriend and girlfriend, you’d be engaged.”

“Well, I never…”

“You asked. Now, if I were your boyfriend, I wouldn’t keep you hanging for that long. I’d have asked you to marry me, long ago.”

Feeling defensive, Morgana blurted out, ”But we like our relationship just the way it is.”

Smugly, Tim replied, “That’s the point. You shouldn’t.”

Annoyed, Morgana challenged, “Oh, and I’d be happier … how?”

Still somewhat smugly, Tim replied, “With someone like me.”

Aghast, Morgana blurted out, “Someone like you?”

“Yeah, someone, like, me. How about a date?”

“Why … you insufferable … I wouldn’t date you if you were the last man on earth.”

“Careful, I may make you eat those words.”

Angry now, Morgana stormed, “Take your tools and your attitude and get out of here.”

And now

Chapter 16 – Epilogue pt 2
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120 – Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It had been some weeks since Morgana had heard from Jon. She had known about the vacation, but she was beginning to wonder about the extended absence. The time passing without hearing from Jon was causing her to worry. She hadn’t heard anything about the super family being in any danger, so she wasn’t too concerned about his welfare.

She finally came to the conclusion that he had gotten a job, or was in graduate school or something that was keeping him very busy … so busy that he hadn’t been able to contact her.

It was when she was at her lowest ebb, emotionally, because of his absence, that Tim showed up again. He was there to fix a problem with her computer, but noticed that her mood was somewhat somber. Remembering how their previous meeting had gone, he decided on a different approach. He asked, “I’ve noticed you’ve been quiet lately. Is there anything wrong?”

Defensively, she responded sharply, perhaps a bit too sharply, ““No, I’m concerned that I haven’t heard from him. He’s probably busy with his new job.

Hey, a bunch of us in the IT department are going bowling this Saturday. If Jon is back, you guys should join us. If not, come on your own.

Morgana looked at the picture and then reaching for it, laid it down on her desktop. Looking at Tim, she said, “Okay.”

Jon called Morgana and set up a meeting. After talking with Lara, thinking that it would soften the blow, somewhat, Jon picked up a bouquet of flowers on his way to see Morgana. They had become extremely close over the years and he knew that this was going to come as a blow. Landing around the corner from her apartment house, he changed into his civilian clothes and walked to her door.

When he knocked on her door, he was apprehensive. He was holding the bouquet behind his back.

When she answered the door, he could hear her heartbeat. He had been with her enough to know her moods from her heartbeat and he could tell that she was upset.

Trying to put her at ease, he pulled the bouquet from behind his back and said, “These are for you.”

After going Bowling with Tim and his friends, Morgana started developing a good, strong friendship with him. In time they started talking on the phone after work and then going out together on a regular basis. By the time Jon called, Morgana knew she had an important decision to make.

When he pulled the bouquet from behind his back, she almost collapsed. Had he finally given up on finding his ‘special someone’ and decided to settle down with her?

How could she tell Tim? Should she tell Jon about Tim? How would he react? Numbly, she reached forward and took the flowers. “I guess I need to get these into some water.”

As he followed her inside the apartment and closed the door, he said, “Yeah, good idea.”

Morgana was very distracted as she looked for a vase and arranged the flowers. She was thinking about Jon and just who he was and she was also thinking about Tim and the feelings she was starting to have for him. She was worrying about how this was going to turn out. She was going to be disappointing one or the other, but which one. Did she want a life with a superhero or a regular guy? She hadn’t been dating Tim for very long, but she could see the possibility of a relationship with him and he would be all hers. If she stayed with Jon, she would have to share him with the world and did she want that?

She stalled as long as she could, arranging and rearranging the flowers. Jon noticed her distraction and said, “I think you had them arranged that way before.”

She realized what she was doing and tried to cover, “I’m just not sure how they look best.”

“I think they look fine, that way. Morgana … we have to talk.”

Morgana’s hands stopped arranging and grasping the sides of the vase and lifting it, she turned to face him. She tried to keep the apprehension out of her voice, but failed miserably when she asked, “Oh, what about?”

Jon heard her heart rate spike and knew that something was wrong, but he couldn’t tell what. <Oh, well, there’s no putting it off now.> “About … us.”

There it was, the thing she most feared. What was she going to do? She choked out, “Us?”

Jon heard her heart skip a beat and was concerned. <This is going to hurt her terribly. But I have to think of Jen and our future.> “Yeah … Us. You see, uh, it’s this way … I’ve met someone…”

As he uttered that last word relief actually flooded through her system and she relaxed, her fingers released the vase and it started to fall.

Super-reflexes came into play and Jon caught the vase before it had fallen even two inches.

In her relief, Morgana started to cry.

Jon saw this and misinterpreted. <I knew I’d hurt her.> “I’m so sorry, Morgana. I never meant to hurt you.”

Suddenly her expression changed and she started to giggle.

Jon was confused.

Morgana stopped giggling, placed her hands on his and asked, “You came here to break up with me?”

“Well, yeah, it’s like I always said, there was a special someone out there and I might find her at any time. Well … a few weeks ago, I did.”

In her relief, Morgana smiled and said, “I’m so relieved!”

Jon was stunned. “Relieved?” He set the vase on the counter.

Smiling and nodding, Morgana said, “I’ve met someone too.”

Understanding now, Jon smiled and said, “I’m happy for you. Anyone I know?”

“I don’t think so. His name is Tim and he works for the same company that I do. Who’s the girl?”

“She’s a cousin to an old family friend. Her name is Jennifer and she is studying to be an elementary school teacher.”

“I’m happy for you … and her. Does she know about your … part time job?”

“No, not yet. I want to be sure of our relationship before I tell her.”

“Want some advice? Don’t wait too long.”

Looking at a nearby clock, Jon realized that he needed to go, so he said, “I won’t. As soon as I’m sure, I’ll tell her. Listen, I have to go. I have an appointment.”

“With her?”

“No, I have to prepare my classroom for Monday. I start teaching at Midwest-U.”

“Why there?”

“That’s where she is going to school. I took a job there so that I would be near her.”

Morgana stepped up to him and gave him a very chaste kiss before she said, “Good luck. I hope it works out.”

He smiled and said, “So do I and I hope Tim works out for you.”

It was Morgana’s turn to smile as she replied, “I hope so too.”

The relationship between Morgana and Tim grew slowly, but steadily. As he moved up in the company his duties changed and he started travelling to other sites. He wanted to be able to settle down before they married so they became engaged, but didn’t set a date.

One day Morgana received a call from Jon. “Hi, Morgana, how’re things going?”

“Tim’s away again. This is a three week trip so I’m at loose ends. What’s up?”

“As you know, my and Jen’s wedding is next weekend. I thought that Tim would be attending with you, but I guess not now. Do you have your dress yet?”

“I always have a dress to wear.”

“Okay, I’ll pick you up Thursday night. You can stay in our spare bedroom.”

“I’ll be packed and ready. See you Thursday.”

Thursday night, Morgana and Jon, still dressed as Kam-El walked into the apartment to find Hattie and Jen talking.

When he did his spin change to jeans and a top, both Morgana and Hattie looked at him aghast and blurted out, “What?”

Morgana said, “Why did you do that? Now Hattie will know!”

Hattie looked at Morgana and then at Jon and asked accusingly, “Just how long has she known?”

Morgana looked at Hattie and asked, “How long have you known?”

“Just a few weeks. Just since the night I tried to seduce Kam-El.” (See Hattie Kaplin – Reporter)

Morgana started to laugh, “You WHAT?”

“You heard me; I tried to seduce Kam-El. Don’t rub it in. I was mortified. And here I call myself an investigative reporter. All this time and I didn’t have a clue. How long have you known?”

“Since the Homecoming Dance.”

“What!!! You’ve known all that time and you never told me?”

“I couldn’t. I couldn’t even let on that I knew.”

Chagrinned, Hattie admitted. As she pulled Morgana into a hug, she said, “I guess you’re right. It’s good to see you.”

“You too. And Jen. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

Jen moved over and gave her a hug. “It’s nice to meet someone who has been so close to Jon for so long.”

“I’m just glad he found his ‘special someone’ finally.”

The following year it was Hattie’s turn to get married.

Jon was scheduled to pick Morgana up after the rehearsal dinner, but first it was his turn to do a patrol. He was delayed in arriving.

Morgana was curious as to the delay. As they started to fly Morgana asked, “What emergency kept you from picking me up on time?”

“Hattie and JJ … As they were leaving the rehearsal dinner … they were gunned down.” (See Hattie and Mr. X)

What? Oh, NO! How are they? Why didn’t you take me to the hospital? Will there still be a wedding? Will it be postponed?”

Jon smiled and said, “They’re fine, actually, better than fine. They’re healthier than they have ever been.” His tone became conspiratorial as he continued, “They’re just super … in more ways than one.”

“You’ll need to explain that one.”

Landing, Jon spun out of his uniform and they entered the apartment. Jen welcomed them before Morgana asked, “Okay, give, what did you mean about them being just super.”

“Okay, here’s the story: They were shot down by a couple of gunmen. They were each hit by between 6 and ten bullets. They were dying. The only way to save them was to make them super.”

“You mean, like you and the rest of your family?”

“Yeah, they’re just like the rest of us now. Now they are really part of the family.”

“Wow!”

Jen looped an arm around Morgana’s shoulder and said, “We have a lot to do tomorrow. I think we need to get to bed. Jon cancelled your hotel reservation. You are staying with us, in the guest room.”

“I really don’t want to put you guys out. I should go to the hotel.”

Jen was commanding, “No more arguments. You’re staying here, with us, and that is it.”

“Okay, Jen, as long as you insist.”

“We insist. You know where your room is.”

“Okay, goodnight, and thanks.”

“Goodnight.”

Finally, Tim’s position within the IT division of Banks Publishing had become stable once he had been made a manager. His travel was reduced and they were able to settle down.

The wedding was going to be on the modest side. A close friend of Tim’s, Steve Miller was Best Man while Hattie was Matron of Honor.

Jon and Jen could possibly have been in the wedding party, but Jen was in her third trimester with her and Jon’s first child.

It was January in New York State and snow was falling. Countless tiny snowflakes swirled around in little eddies and there was a light coating on the ground with some drifting as well as an accumulation from previous snowfalls.

Morgana had lived in New York long enough to know what the weather could be like and had planned accordingly. Exiting the car in front of the hotel she made her way to the entrance. The snow swirled around her feet as she picked her way through a snow drift while wearing a white gown with a long removable train that doubled as a cape and low white leather boots. Her hair was pinned up in a chignon. The veil was fingertip length, but for the trip to the hotel it had been thrown back. Her bouquet, three White Calla Lilies done up in a blue silk ribbon a classic symbol of devotion and love cast their fragrance through the crisp winter air.

It was about twenty degrees outside, but she didn't notice the biting cold because she was absolutely thrilled to be marrying her best friend.

She changed out of the boots into the white heels she had been carrying and attached the cape as a train once she was in the hotel where the wedding was being held. The gown was lined with silk on the outside with satin exterior. Her shoulders were only exposed slightly, in accordance with her modest ways. Her veil had been thrown back for the trip, but she now arranged it to cover her face.

She and Hattie quickly made their way to the bride’s room where they waited to be called while the guests assembled in the ballroom. Tim’s parents, grandparents and sisters were there and so were all of his friends from college and work.

It was the happiest day of her life. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if her parents could have been there, however they had already passed away and her brother Dave who was in the Air Force could not get leave since he was on special assignment. But fortunately, her Uncle Sam was able to walk her down the aisle and give her away.

When her uncle handed her over to Tim, the older man beamed, slapped his future nephew on the back, lifted Morgana’s veil, kissed her on the cheek and then said to them softly, “Be kind and loving to each other.”

They responded together just as softly, “We will!

All during the ceremony friends and family looked on admiringly, knowing that the young couple had a strong love and deep respect for each other. The perfect foundation for a lasting and happy marriage.

When they exchanged vows, each of them made a mistake and they both started to have a fit of giggles, but soon they settled down and repeated their vows, much to the officiant’s and guests relief.

“I now pronounce you Husband and Wife, Timothy, please kiss your new wife!”

Happy cheers were heard as Tim leaned his six foot four inch frame down to take Morgana in his arms and give her a sweet long kiss.

At the reception the bride’s dance was to “Unchained Melody” and after the first few bars others joined in.

The photographer, an old friend of her parents did a splendid job taking formal and candid shots. One of the best was of her Uncle Sam and Aunt Flora doing the jitterbug. They were so energetic and smooth with their moves the other dancers moved off the floor and let them take over!

She had an opportunity during the reception to dance with Jon. As they danced, Morgana whispered, “I have not told Tim about you or your family and this is one secret I intend to keep from him. No one will ever learn your family’s secret from me, unless and until you change your mind. That’s a promise.”

“Thanks, Morgana. You are one of my best and truest friends. If you ever need me, or Lara, or Hattie or JJ, just call. One of us or all of us will be here as quickly as we can be.”

Morgana laughed quietly and then replied, “I don’t think I’ll be needing any super powered assistance. We will be living a quiet life unlike Hattie and JJ. I intend to leave the company in a few months and start working on designing knitting patterns for women and young children. Tim wants me to have the time to explore that interest. That investigative reporting job can be dangerous. I’m glad that they are super now. I won’t be losing you guys the way I lost my parents.”

“I never really told you how sorry I was that you lost them.”

“There was nothing you guys could have done. Cancer does not care who it takes. I was very happy to have them for as long as I did. I’m okay with it, and now that I have Tim, I’m happy.”

“Just remember that we, all of us, will be there for you if you need us.”

His friend smiled, her eyes glistening with happy tears. She nodded and said, “I’ll remember, but I expect that the only time I’ll see you guys now would be if you were invited for a party.”

Jon smiled and replied, “I’d like that. Count on us to be there.”

“You need to make sure that you bring Jen with you. She will be delivering soon. Do you know what sex yet?”

“Yes, a boy. We plan to name him Bernard after my boss and mentor, Dr. Bernard Klein. What about you? Do you and Tim plan to have any children?”

“We don’t even know if we CAN have children yet. Give us some time.”

Some months after the wedding, Tim was transferred to an office in North Carolina, nearer to New Troy which made it easier for the families to get together.

About that same time, Morgana found out that she was pregnant, with twins. It was a difficult birth and as a result, she was told that she could have no more children, but they were a happy family of four. The twins were a boy and a girl. The girl was named Piper Olivia McCoy and the boy became Timothy McCoy Junior.

As the years passed there were the frequent parties when they would all get together and discuss old times and make lots of new memories with their spouses and children. Theirs was a friendship that endured. Eventually, Tim was brought in on the family secret.

Morgana and Tim's children were almost like a set of cousins to the Kent and Olsen clans and were treated as such. In the course of time, both married into the super family. Tim junior married Sarah Olsen, Hattie’s eldest daughter and Piper married Bernard Kent, Jon and Jen’s oldest son. Eventually they both became super heroes like the rest of the spouses.

Morgana and Tim never became super themselves, but they had long lives and enjoyed spending time with their super friends, super children and their super grandchildren. Before they both had passed away they had 16 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.

Each member of the super family had an extended lifespan and as a result what would be considered a generation didn’t really exist. Each of the women remained fertile well beyond their nineties and had a generation of children every 20 to 25 years. As a result, the number of super powered individuals increased exponentially. In their 60 years of knowing the family their numbers had grown to tens of thousands which gave the world safety and security.
They had the privilege of seeing the first stirrings of utopia as the super family spread out around the globe and knowing that they had contributed to it.

The End

comments go here.

Last edited by KenJ; 12/21/16 06:45 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj