Epiphany
Folc4evernaday
Part 1

Epiphany:
a: an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure;
b: a revealing scene or moment;
c: a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something;
d: an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking

[Linked Image]

Notes: So, this story won't leave me alone until I write it.(Its worse that Winner Takes All ever was...) My muse had been demanding attention for the last few weeks and this is the result. I hope everyone enjoys. This story picks up after Fly Hard and Clark's warning to Lois. The Trailer Can be found here

Part 1

<<”Be careful with Lex. You don’t know him like I do,”>>

What did Clark mean she didn’t know Lex like he did? As far as she knew Clark and Lex didn’t have anything more than a professional relationship.

Lois sighed, rolling over on her side to get more comfortable in bed. The events of the evening wearing on her mind as she willed sleep to come. She’d been held hostage before but never like this. Normally when she was held hostage it was from her tracking down a criminal and breaking in or following them. This time had been different. The gang that had broken into the Planet had come to them with guns and a bomb. They’d taken the place she’d felt the safest and turned it into a place she so desperately wanted to escape.

<<”Be careful with Lex. You don’t know him like I do,”>>

What did that mean?

Nigel watched as Lex pulled himself up from the exam table, wincing in pain. “Shall I bring you a change of clothes?’

“No, Nigel, that’s quite all right. I won’t be here much longer,” Lex said with a wry smile. “Brings back memories of the old days of being an orphaned street fighter,”

“Well, let’s hope you don’t have to get your hands dirty like the old days,” Nigel mused.

Lex smiled, “There was a lot I could have done tonight, but I didn’t,”

“So, would you care for me to arrange a visitor for Mr. Fuentes and his gang?” Nigel asked.

“No, that won’t be necessary,” Lex mused. “I admire his gusto. Maybe not his tactics…” Lex eyed his wounded shoulder, “but he has potential. Make the arrangements…but be sure to send him ….payback…for this,” He held up his sling.

“As you wish,” Nigel nodded.

A knock at the door announced the Chief of Staff, “Mr. Luthor, sorry to keep you waiting. We were reviewing your x-rays. Sometimes it takes a little bit for them to come up,”

Lex smiled, “Perhaps some new equipment is needed?” He turned to Nigel, “Nigel, make sure to send funds for a new radiology equipment,”

“No, Mr. Luthor, that isn’t necessary,”

“Nonsense,” Lex continued. “You’re in need. I’m able. I help. It’s what good businessmen do,”

The doctor sighed, realizing this was a losing battle, “Yes, Mr. Luthor, about your scans. It appears there was some damage to the ligaments in your shoulder, but no nerve damage. You won’t be able to use those muscles for at least six to eight weeks. I’m surprised your wound wasn’t worse…it appeared to have been healing itself when you arrived…”

<<”You’d be bleeding to death if it wasn’t for him,”>>

Lex’s expression grew thoughtful, “Yes, well luckily one of the other hostages knew of a remedy for open wounds,”

“You should thank whoever it was. They saved your life,” the doctor handed Lex some paperwork. “Here are your discharge papers, Mr. Luthor. I’ve written a prescription for pain. You’ll have to keep alternating ice and heat over the next few days but for tonight ice only. Your paperwork is all in order.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Lex said handing the papers to Nigel as he stood. He watched the doctor leave then turned to Nigel, “I owe Clark Kent my life?” He shook his head in disgust.

The next morning Lois was still just as restless as she’d been the night before. She hated being the last one to know anything and it appeared Clark knew something she didn’t. How?

He’d certainly made no attempt to hide his contempt for Lex even after their first meeting him. She remembered fighting with him about her interview that Clark had insinuated was more.

<< “Tell me something…How far are you willing to go to get this interview?”>>

At the time the insinuation had infuriated her. Looking back she realized that the question wasn’t an insinuation but just Clark expressing his concern for her. She didn’t know him that well back then but she knew he’d always had her best interest at heart. He always did. Even after she’d treated him awful all week when they’d first been teamed together on the EPRAD story he never was smug or telling her ‘I told you so.’ Instead, he was trying to comfort her.

<< “Not that it means anything from a ‘hack from Nowheresville’ but I think you’re pretty terrific too,”>>

As she’d gotten to know him over the past year she’d come to realize Clark was pretty terrific in his own way. He was a good friend and a great partner. Even if she did resist the partnership, in the beginning, she’d enjoyed being teamed up with him. He just seemed to get her. They fought like cats and dogs at times but always seemed to work through it. One of the main things they seemed to fight about was Lex. Clark had insinuated something more was going on with Lex over the last few months but never said what. Now, last night he’d warned her to be careful. Be careful of what?

“This is so frustrating…” Lois muttered to herself as she paced around the living room of her apartment. Clark was insinuating that something was wrong here, but what? The time she’d spent with Lex had been enjoyable. He’d never tried to push her into any uncomfortable situations. Which given the way past boyfriends had behaved it was a welcome change. They’d seen each other a handful of times over the past few months. Lately a bit more frequent, but she’d welcomed his company. What had started as an interview attempt seemed to be turning into something…she just wasn’t sure what.

Interview. That was a joke. The interview she’d been so adamant to get never did come. Somehow she’d gotten swept up in the moment and had blown her chance to get the interview she so desperately sought out. It wasn’t like she hadn’t had a chance, but rather…

Why hadn’t she gotten that interview? It wasn’t like she didn’t have access anymore. She was seeing Lex…nothing serious but still…

<< “From what I’ve heard, I’d be better off out there with the cops on my tail than you, Mr. Luthor,”>>

She recalled the statement Fuentes had made and shook her head. What had that meant? She knew Lex was powerful in the business world but why would criminals be afraid of him? Could he be involved with someone or something dangerous? A shiver went down her spine and she shook her head, realizing what she was accusing Lex of without anything to go on besides the ravings of a criminal.

“This is ridiculous!” Lois shook her head. “He said I don’t know Lex like him…” She was thoughtful a moment. How does Clark know him? She reached for the phone, determined to get to the bottom of her dilemma by going directly to the source. “Lex Luthor please?” She waited a moment, “Yes, this is Lois Lane,”

A very bloody and bruised Fuentes staggered into the penthouse with Nigel right behind him, “Mr. Luthor, may I present Mr. Fuentes,”

Lex nodded with a broad smile, happy to have the upper hand with his former captor, “Mr. Fuentes, we meet again,”

Fuentes’ eyes widened as Lex closed the distance between them with a smug smile, “Mister…Lu…thor…”

“I trust you found Nigel accommodating. He assured me he’d give you the same treatment you gave myself and Ms. Lane last night,” Fear crossed Fuentes face as Lex grabbed him by the neck, “Make no mistake you will pay for putting your hands on her, but for now we will discuss the future…”

“Future?”

“I’m a businessman, Mr. Fuentes, I always enjoy a good deal. Now, I arranged for your release and in exchange, I expect your cooperation…”

“Cooperation?” Fuentes asked, realizing his worst fears weren’t being met he straightened up, “What can I help you with, Mr. Luthor?” Lex laid a photo of Jack in Fuentes’ hands, “The kid from last night?”

“A liability,” Lex said with disgust. “He is a witness I need disposed of. I trust you’ll use more discretion than you used last night? You’ll be working with Nigel and my personal assistant, Mrs. Cox. He needs to disappear,” Lex turned to confront him, “Are we clear?”

“Crystal,” Fuentes nodded.

“Good,” Lex reached for his right hand and jerked his thumb and index finger in a twist as Fuentes screamed in pain until he heard a loud pop indicating the bone breaking, “If you ever put your hands on Lois Lane again I’ll be breaking more than your hand. Make sure it never happens again,”

Clark landed softly on the balcony of his apartment, stepping inside and changing back into his street clothes after assuring himself no one had seen him. After the previous night’s hostage situation he had made sure to patrol a bit longer than usual. He’d managed to stop an attempted mugging and a carjacking in Suicide Slum. Then this morning he’d stopped by the police station to give his statement to Henderson like he’d promised, but found there was no longer a case. Fuentes and his gang had been released and no one seemed to know where he disappeared to. He had a feeling Luthor was behind it. He just couldn’t prove it.

Lois stepped off the elevator that led to the penthouse and made her way toward Lex’s office. Nigel opened the door for her and she nodded her thanks as he closed the door behind her, “Lois, so good to see you,” Lex greeted her with a smile.

His arm was still in a sling but his demeanor was still as pleasant as ever. She smiled back, “Lex, how are you feeling?”

Lex shook his arm still trapped in the sling and sighed, “I’ll live. How are you?”

“Good. Last night was kinda crazy, but I’m fine,” Lois smiled. “Actually after what had happened last night … there was something that I realized last night that I never put together before ….”

“Oh, like what?” Lex asked, concerned. He seemed nervous.

Lois tightened her jaw as she continued, “Why don’t you like Clark? What’s the deal with you two?”

Lex looked at her in shock, “What? This is about Kent?”

Lois shook her head, “No, this is about a lot more than that. Answer the question. What is the deal with you two? He obviously doesn’t like you and you don’t like him. Why? What happened?”

Lex looked at her in surprise, contemplating his answer for a moment, “I honestly don’t know. You’d have to ask him. I would assume maybe he doesn’t approve of our relationship or …. Jealousy, but I haven’t had any situation arise that would explain his hostility toward me.”

Jealousy? Why would Clark have to approve of her relationship? The Clark Kent Lex was describing didn’t fit with the man she’d come to know over the last year.

Lois sighed, disappointed she hadn’t gotten an explanation, “Lex, Clark isn’t like that. He would never be hostile to someone without being provoked. Something must have happened. Are you sure you don’t remember anything?”

Lex was thoughtful for a moment, “I’m sorry my dear,” Lex shrugged. “Maybe you should be asking Kent these questions,”

Lois nodded, “Maybe I should,” She turned to leave.

“Can I interest you in lunch?” He inquired.

Lois shook her head, “Maybe another time,”

Fuentes had been released less than twelve hours after holding the Daily Planet hostage. No one seemed to know how he’d gotten the charges dropped or who had dropped the ball with processing. Clark shook his head in disgust. Some of the team members that had helped with the hostage situation had insinuated there was help from someone called ‘the Boss.’ Unfortunately, no one had met him or her.

A loud insistent tapping at his front door caught his attention and he headed up the steps to answer the door, “Lois?” He was surprised to see her on a Saturday, especially after spending all evening held hostage with her. He glanced at the clock, “Lois? What are you doing here?”

Lois was quick to shoot back, “Not standing in the doorway,” She pushed past him and began pacing through the living room, “I need to talk to you,”

“Come on in,” He said wryly closing the door and turning back toward the living room. “What’s up?”

“What did you mean last night?” Lois began to ramble. “What’s with the cryptic warning? You’re never cryptic. Ever. A bit boneheaded sometimes and a bit of a pushover…no offense…but never cryptic. What gives?”

Clark raised his eyebrows, trying to follow what Lois was rambling about, “What are you talking about?”

“You!” Lois fumed angrily, waving her hands in the air, “Insinuating…whatever you were trying to insinuate about Lex last night….What’s with the games?”

“Games?”

“If there is something you know why not just tell me? Why give me some cryptic warning like that? What is your deal with Lex anyway? You act like you hate him for no reason. He said there was never a reason so what gives?” Lois stopped pacing and turned to face him, crossing her arms over her chest.

“You talked to Luthor?” Clark asked, worried.

Lois rolled her eyes, “Yes!” Clark hung his head in disbelief, “Lois, you shouldn’t have done that,”

“Shouldn’t have….Clark, what is going on? This is ridiculous!” Lois fumed angrily.

“I can’t tell you,” Clark shook his head.

“Can’t tell me WHAT?” Lois fumed angrily.

“I have my….doubts….about Luthor. Just leave it at that,” Clark said.

“Doubts? No, I’m not going to just leave it at that,” Lois snapped back, “You have been acting like he’s the devil incarnate since you met him. There is no reason that I can think of….You never act like that about anyone…What gives?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” Clark said.

“Try me!” Lois pressed.

“No!” Clark snapped.

“No? You have got to be kidding me….” Lois was on her way to full babble mode.

“Lois…” Clark was doing his best to hold in everything he wanted to say. He couldn’t talk to her about this …. not while she was still involved with Luthor. It could put her at risk.

“You sit there and make your snide remarks and your little digs and then last night with your cryptic warnings but when I ask for an explanation you won’t give me one. You are out of your mind!” Lois began to ramble on, “Lex has done nothing but a gentleman as long as I ‘ve known him.”

“Don’t push this…” Clark warned.

“ He’s set up charities to help the less fortunate, donated millions to help orphans, homeless, but do you care about that? No, to you he’s just…”

“He’s a murderer!” Clark fumed.

“WHAT???” Lois was taken aback. She looked at him in disgust and backed away from him in shock.

“Everything is set?” Lex asked as he stepped into the main living area of his home.

“Yes, sir,” Nigel nodded, “Fuentes is being debriefed on the ‘Jack’ situation. Quite remarkable that he was right under our nose for so long and didn’t know it.”

Lex nodded, “I don’t believe in luck. Tell me something, Nigel, did we ever find any more information on the Superman identity theory we were tossing around last month?”

Nigel shook his head, “No, Superman hasn’t had any major events in the last month, but he did help with a kidnapping when the illusionist was attempting to control the world with mind control and a few weeks ago he helped stop the virus that Harrington designed to take over the world.”

Lex was thoughtful for a moment, “Is it just me or does it seem awfully convenient that both these instances were stories being worked on by Lois Lane?”

Nigel caught on and nodded, “Yes, it does seem he has a soft spot for her,”

“Pull up everything the Daily Planet has printed on our man of steel. While I’m recuperating, we can begin our research,”

“And when you discover his secret?”

“I will destroy him and everyone he holds dear,” Lex smiled, happy with his plan.

Clark sighed as he watched the front door slam. Lois didn’t say anything after he’d blurted out that Luthor was a murderer. She just looked at him in disgust and left. He didn’t want to tell her his suspicions yet. Not without evidence. Unfortunately, that was something he’d yet to find in the past year. Lex Luthor seemed to be one step ahead of him.

Now, Lois wouldn’t even look at him. He sighed, resigning himself to his fate. “This is gonna be a long week,” He muttered to himself. A loud insistent knock at his door caught his attention. “Maybe not,” He raced to the front door and opened it, expecting to find Lois but instead found Jack. “Jack, what are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you,” Jack said, pushing past him.

Clark sighed, closing the door behind him, “Sure, what’s up?”

“You remember when I got kidnapped by those guys that I sold Superman’s globe to?” Jack asked.

Clark nodded, recalling how he’d found Jack tied to a chair in a hidden warehouse below ground where he’d found his globe among many other treasures. He’d wondered if Lex Luthor was involved given the rarity of the items he found but never saw any trace of him. He’d been relieved to find his globe and return it to its rightful place. “Yeah, Superman rescued you from that underground museum,”

Jack nodded, “I know this may sound crazy….”

“Try me,” Clark smirked.

Jack nodded, “Okay, well, I think Lex Luthor was one of the guys that kidnapped me a few weeks ago,”

“What?” Clark wasn’t sure he heard him right.

“I never saw the guy’s face but I heard his voice. It was him,” Jack said adamantly. “After last night I’m sure it's only a matter of time before he puts two and two together…”

Clark could see the apprehension growing in Jacks’ voice and tried to calm him down, “Jack, I don’t think he would…” He sighed when he saw Jack giving him a skeptical look. “I’ll talk to Superman and see what we can do…” He patted the young man on the shoulder. “Don’t worry. You’ll be fine. Denny will be fine.” He noted how Jack’s shoulder’s slumped in relief. It was Denny Jack was most afraid for.

“I can’t believe I didn’t put two and two together until now….” Jack fumed. “I should have known…”

“You’d never spent a lot of time around him before,” Clark reminded him.

“We’ve got to warn Lois. She’s got to know…” Jack stopped when he saw Clark shaking his head laughing. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” Clark shrugged. “I’ve just been trying to warn Lois about Luthor for almost a year and that hasn’t worked yet. Now, we have something somewhat concrete and….”

“….and you don’t think she’ll believe you?” Jack guessed.

“Not in this millennium,” Clark said bitterly.

Lois hadn't been able to think of anything but her fight with Clark and how...betrayed she felt when Clark had spat out that vulgar accusation about Lex. Clark had earned her respect and trust over the last year they'd worked together now she felt like she didn't even know him. She'd decided to take her frustrations out at the gym. She'd tried the aerobics, weights, but nothing seemed to be helping. After putting on protective gloves she decided to work out the pent-up frustration with some kickboxing.

She glanced around at the familiar gym. Menken's gym had been renamed to "Allie's" after the corruption the previous owner had been exposed. She shuddered recalling how he'd tried to use her as bait for her father. If it hadn't been for Lex...

<<"He's a murderer!">>

Clark's words rang in her ears and she pushed the thought out.

No, Lex had saved her.

Clark seemed to have this unexplainable hatred toward Lex but could never explain why. She never thought he'd stoop so low as to throw out an accusation like that. "Slander," She muttered to herself. "Acting like a petulant child..." She slammed her foot against the punching bag, knocking it off its axis as she fumed angrily over her fight with Clark.

<<“You talked to Luthor?” Clark asked, worried.

Lois rolled her eyes, “Yes!”>>

She struck the punching bag once more. Why did it bother him so much that she’d talked to Lex? The look in his eyes had been filled with fear.

<<“Lois, you shouldn’t have done that,”

“Shouldn’t have….Clark, what is going on? This is ridiculous!” Lois fumed angrily.>>

She kicked the punching bag again, tears streaming down her face as the bag fell back once more. Who was he to tell her what she should or shouldn’t be talking to Lex about? Why was it so wrong of her to confront him about his spat with Lex?

<<“I can’t tell you,” Clark shook his head.

“Can’t tell me WHAT?” Lois fumed angrily.>>

Of course, he couldn't tell her why he acted this way. She suspected it was from jealousy, but if this was jealousy...he'd gone too far this time. He’d resisted her attempts to confront him at first.

She kicked the bag again.

Why was it so hard for her to drag this out of Clark?

<<“I have my….doubts….about Luthor. Just leave it at that,” Clark said.

“Doubts? No, I’m not going to just leave it at that,” Lois snapped back, “You have been acting like he’s the devil incarnate since you met him. There is no reason that I can think of….You never act like that about anyone…What gives?”>>

She felt her knees growing weak as she continued to cry and opted to get her frustrations out by punching the bag. “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you….” She cried.

No matter how many times she said the words she knew it wasn’t true. One thing was sure. How she felt about Clark Kent was anything but hate. Complicated, yes. Frustrating, yes. Definitely not hate. She cared about him. She knew that. She’d discovered how deeply after the asteroid Nightfall had threatened their lives. The fear of the unknown had forced her to take a good look at her life, but she never found the courage to act on those feelings. After Nightfall was gone she did her best to bury them deeper and found solace in work and distancing herself from him.

<<“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” Clark said.

“Try me!” Lois pressed.

“No!” Clark snapped.

“No? You have got to be kidding me….” Lois was on her way to full babble mode.

“Lois…” >>

He could get to her in a way no one ever could. Something about Clark just brought out this need to divulge her every thought to him. He was still the only person to know about her and Claude and he’d surprised her by keeping her confidence. She’d been worried he’d be blabbing it to everyone after the fiasco with Baines, but he hadn’t. He’d earned her trust.

<<“You sit there and make your snide remarks and your little digs and then last night with your cryptic warnings but when I ask for an explanation you won’t give me one. You are out of your mind!” Lois began to ramble on, “Lex has done nothing but a gentleman as long as I ‘ve known him.”

“Don’t push this…” Clark warned.

“ He’s set up charities to help the less fortunate, donated millions to help orphans, homeless, but do you care about that? No, to you he’s just…”

“He’s a murderer!” Clark fumed.>>

She knew she didn’t know Lex very well but she thought she had a pretty good judge of character. For Clark to slander Lex like that…

<<"He's a murderer!">>

She stopped hitting the punching bag and fell to her knees in tears.

Martha set a slice of pie in front of her husband, taking a seat next to him as they listened to Clark detail his fight with Lois in defeat. He looked at them in agony, “I don’t know what to do,”

Martha glanced at Jonathan for a moment who nodded at her, “Clark, you said she asked you what your deal was with Lex Luthor….Why didn’t you just tell her everything?”

Clark shook his head, “Most of what I know is from my being Superman. Explaining that….would be too complicated. Besides, she’s still dating him. I can’t risk…”

“You don’t seriously think she’d betray your confidence to him, do you?” Jonathan interrupted.

“No,” Clark shook his head, “nothing like that. It's just….as long as she’s seeing him…..” His body shuddered involuntarily as he spoke, “she’s at risk….telling her what I know only puts her more at risk….”

Jonathan cleared his throat, “More risk than she already is?”

Clark hung his head, “That’s her choice….I can’t…..make her see him for who he really is…not without…”

Martha placed a hesitant hand on Clark’s hand, “Without telling her you’re Superman?” He nodded. She glanced at Jonathan. He seemed to recognize what she was trying to say silently and nodded. “So, what if you told her?”

“What??” Clark asked, taken aback.

Martha sighed, “Clark, it's obvious you love her. Even if you’re not ready to act on it yet….for whatever reason your father and I don’t understand….”

“Because she doesn’t….” Clark began but was cut off by Martha.

“You are putting her at risk every moment you don’t tell her what you know. If even a fraction of what you have told us about this man is true….Do you seriously want to leave Lois with this man? He blew up a building to test you, arranged for two people to fall off thirty-foot buildings across from one another….drugged children….My God!” Martha shook her head unable to continue.

Clark nodded, realizing his mom was right, “So, you think I should tell Lois that I’m Superman?”

“If that’s what it takes to get her away from Lex Luthor, yes,” Jonathan chimed in.

“All my life you guys have told me never to tell anyone…” Clark mused.

“Lois is different,” Jonathan said with a smile.

“She’s family,” Martha nodded.

Clark smiled, “I do love her,”

“We’ve known that since you started talking about her,” Martha said taking a sip of her coffee. “We were wondering how long it would take you to figure it out,”

Clark laughed, “I guess I just have to figure out how to tell her I’ve been lying to her for almost a year,”

“Love is never easy,” Martha added.

“In the end, it’s worth it,” Jonathan promised. “Worked out pretty well for me,” He held Martha’s hand tightly with a smile.

Comments go here.

TBC...

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube