Ghost From the Past
Folc4evernaday
Part 12

Five Years Ago…

Lois held up a blue sequined dress in the mirror, looking back at the black dress she had on the bed. “I don’t know…”

Lucy shook her head, “Lois, for God’s sake just pick a dress already!” She sank back against the bed, watching her sister get ready. After her graduation, she had moved in with Lois to attend college at Met U.

“I just don’t know…” Lois said nervously. “I’ve never been to one of these…”

A knock at the door caught Lucy’s attention and she turned to answer, “That’s probably Clark…Maybe HE can make you get ready faster….” She muttered under her breath as she answered the door, “Hi Clark,”

Clark was dressed in his tux, “Still getting ready?” He asked.

Lucy pointed towards the bedroom, “Good luck! I give up!” She then headed towards her room, leaving Clark to chuckle to himself. He headed towards the bedroom and found Lois holding both dresses up for inspection.

She didn’t notice him come in, preoccupied with her task at hand so he decided to wait patiently on the bed. After a few minutes, she seemed to notice him and turned to smile, “What do you think? It’s our first big shindig with the Planet. I just don’t know what to wear. Do I go big and poufy or do I go with long and slender…”

He gazed at her, taking in the sight of her in a black lace corset with matching panties and thigh highs, “I like what you’re wearing right now,” He said with a sly grin.

“Later,” she swatted at him, turning to face him with the two dresses. “Which one?”

“Which one’s easier to take off?” He asked, being completely serious.

“You’re not helping,” She said as he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her towards him.

“Blue…” He murmured, brushing his lips against hers.

“Thank you,” she whispered against his lips as she turned to begin putting the blue dress on. As she stepped into it and pulled her arms through she backed up to him to zip her up, “Zip me?”

He slowly slid the zipper up, tucking it down so as not to poke her. “Ready?”

“Let’s go,” Lois smiled.

Perry White stood with a middle aged woman with short blonde hair dressed to the nine in the lobby of the Metropolis Mariott as Lois and Clark made their way inside. “Glad you two could make it!” He grinned at them.

Clark smiled, “Wouldn’t miss it,”

“Oh, honey, these are the two I was telling you about, Lois Lane and Clark Kent…” He turned to the woman with him, “This is my Alice,”

“Pleased to meet you,” Alice said, shaking their hands. “I’ve heard a lot of great things about the two of you,”

“Thank you, Mrs. White,” Lois smiled, uncertain what things she could have heard about them from Perry.

“Alice,” she corrected.

“Alice,” Lois echoed.

“I heard you two found a real invisible man,” Alice said with a wink as they made their way into the ballroom where everyone was gathering.

“Not exactly,” Lois argued.

“Pardon?” Alice asked, “I thought I read…”

Clark laughed, “Lois doesn’t believe there’s any magic left in the universe.”

“He wasn’t invisible. He was wearing a suit to make him APPEAR invisible.” Lois argued.

Perry shook his head, “Always an explanation for everything,” He took Alice’s arm as he handed his tickets to the usher at the door.

Lois and Clark followed continuing the argument. “The appearance of being invisible is completely different from real invisibility,” Lois continued.

“Uh-huh,” Clark said sarcastically.

“Well, I say it’s just lucky that Barnes guy’s suit malfunctioned like that. Who knows what they could have done if the suits hadn’t malfunctioned….” Alice shook her head.

Lois was quiet a moment, recalling how she and Clark had been trapped in the bank vault with the ‘invisible man’ Alan Morris. “Yeah, we were really lucky.”

“I’m just glad you two made it out of there. Maybe the next story you bring in you won’t become a part of a hostage situation, hmmm?” Perry gave Lois a poignant look.

“That was not my fault!” Lois argued.

“You two did get checked out, right? No side effects from that stuff that got all over you?” Perry asked, trying to change the subject.

“Uh, yeah,” Clark said rather quickly.

Perry gave Lois a look and she rolled her eyes. “Yes, we got checked out. Everything’s fine.”

“You better. I don’t need my reporters falling down on the job because they didn’t follow doctor’s orders…..Shall we?” Perry motioned towards the ballroom that was filled with food and music. Lois and Clark followed them and took in the view. It was intimidating to say the least.

“Wow,” Lois said shakily.

“Yeah,” Clark nodded looking around the room.

“Shindigs like this always bring out the rich and famous. Don’t let that intimidate you. Rub elbows. Make contacts…” Perry pointed to Lex Luthor who was standing between the Mayor and a few well-known judges, laughing. Perry shook his head, “Take notes.”

“Unlike Mr. Luthor we don’t have a rich lifestyle and a well-known father to fall back on,” Lois said irritably, readjusting her dress nervously.

Perry shook his head. “He wasn’t always rich. Mr. Luthor is a rags to riches…wrong side of the tracks…story. self-made billionaire…owns dozens of companies and has his finger in every pot. Man of the year every year and employs thousands of people throughout Metropolis. The only catch is he won’t do personal interviews.”

“Not even after meeting us?” Lois asked, “I thought he liked you, Chief,”

Perry winked, “Not even for me, but if you can convince Mr. Luthor to do a sit-down interview that’s a story every paper would want to buy.”

“Was he challenging me?” Lois asked as she watched Perry walk away with Alice.

“I don’t know…” Clark said, wrapping his arms around her as the music began to play. He noticed Perry taking Alice on the dance floor and was just about to follow suit when the elusive Mr. Luthor approached them.

“Ms. Lane, Mr. Kent, a pleasure. So glad you could make it.” Lex said with a smile.

“Well, it’s for a really good cause,” Clark said with a smile.

“Yes, growing up without a father…no matter how rich or well known…I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.” Lex said quietly. He turned towards Lois, “May I steal you away for a dance?” He held his hand out for Lois. Lois looked at him skeptically for a moment then nodded, allowing him to lead her out on the dance floor.

Clark watched as they danced on the floor for a moment, keeping a close eye and ear on them for the moment. “Clark and I were wondering if we might be able to do a sit-down interview with you, Mr. Luthor…”

“Lex,” He corrected as he spun her around.

“Lex,” she echoed. “I know you’re hesitant to give interviews, but…”

Lex nodded, “I hope you can understand, a man in my position. I wouldn’t want to be misinterpreted and I have had on or two bad experiences with the media…” He crooned, leaning in a little too close for Clark’s comfort. He decided it was probably best if he go ahead and cut in. He continued to listen with his super-hearing.

“But not with me,” Lois argued.

Lex grinned back, “Why don’t we make it dinner…but just you,”

Lois seemed to think about it for a moment as he approached them, “Mind if I cut in?”

“Not at all,” Lois said smiling at Clark.

Lex seemed to hesitate a moment then released Lois into Clark’s arms. “I don’t like that guy,” He muttered under his breath.

“I think I might have just grabbed the biggest interview of the decade!” She said with a grin on her face.

“That’s great,” He leaned her back with a slight dip, admiring the view of the curve of her breasts as he leaned her back then pulled her back to him, wrapping his arms securely around her. He glanced back at the crowd for a moment and was surprised to see Lex Luthor watching them.

Lois laughed as she linked her arms around his neck, pressing her body against him, “You are full of surprises…I would have thought only square dancing was your style…”

“You ain’t seen nothing yet,” He murmured against her lips, “I took two years off and traveled around a lot. I actually learned ballroom dancing from a Nigerian princess who studied it in London,”

“Was she pretty?” she teased as he spun her around.

“She was very pretty…she was also eleven years old…” He added before Lois could begin to ponder too long about his past.

“Always taking my breath away…” She laughed when he leaned in to kiss her.

“Better believe it,” He murmured back.

Lex watched as Lois and Clark danced close, swaying together to the music along with the other couples on the dance floor. His eyes narrowed as he watched Lois’ arms link around Clark’s neck, pulling him in for a kiss.

“I was beginning to think you were antisocial, Lex,” a voice from behind him said, tapping him on the shoulder. He turned around and smiled when he saw the blonde behind him.

“Ms. Drake,” He smiled, “Always a pleasure,”

She looked around at the crowd, taking a step toward him, “You have time to talk about your testimony next Monday?”

He led her to the dance floor, “You dance and we’ll talk,”

“You ready to get out of here?” Clark asked, intertwining his fingers with Lois’.

She smiled at him, “Sure, just let me grab my purse.”

He watched as she headed over to coat check to get her purse and smiled to himself. He loved Lois Lane with every fiber of his being. Even though his dad had told him they didn’t know each other well enough to share his secret with her….he couldn’t help but feel a need to tell her. She said she’d liked the trip to Smallville. Maybe another trip was needed? He could share his secret with her with his parents there to help. He hated lying to her. Well, not lying…perse. He wasn’t lying he just wasn’t telling her everything. He needed to tell her.

A hand clamped over his shoulder and a very drunk Ralph Simms hung on him, “Hey, Kent, how ya’ doing man? Have I got a deal for you…”

Clark winced, smelling the booze all over the man, “What is it Ralph?”

Ralph pointed at two blondes across the dance floor. “See those two ho..tties? Cousins. I can’t take one home without a date for the other….I know you and Lane got something going on the side but ….”

Clark pushed Ralph off of him, “I don’t think so.”

“Come on, she won’t find out,” Ralph whispered. “Don’t you get bored with just one chick? I mean…”

“Ralph, I’m not interested and… my relationship with Lois is none of your business…” He stepped away once more, intent on finding Lois as soon as possible.

He headed toward the coat check and found Lois grabbing her coat and purse from the attendant. “Hey you,” she smiled when he wrapped a protective arm around her waist. “Miss me?”

“You have no idea,” He muttered, shaking his head as they headed for the nearest exit. “Feel like going for a walk with me?”

“Always,” she smiled at him.

“Pie smells good,” Jonathan said with a smile.

“I’m doing a test run for next week at the festival,” Martha said as she sliced the pie. “Let me know what you think. I think there may be just a bit too much cinnamon,”

“Never,” Jonathan smiled, eying the slice Martha had handed him. He held up his fork and was about to take a bite when a rapid tapping at the door caused him and Martha to look up. “Who could that be?” He headed to the door and answered it, surprised to find his neighbor, Wayne Irig at the door. “Wayne?” He turned back to the door that was slightly open and called, “Martha, it’s Wayne Irig. Put on some coffee.” He motioned to Wayne, “Come on in,”

Wayne shook his head, “No, better out here…” He motioned for Jonathan to follow him. Jonathan grabbed his coat and followed Wayne out to Wayne’s truck. “You know that big oak tree I got out back? Well Tuesday’s storm blew it right out of the ground…”

“Need some help chopping it up?” Jonathan asked in concern.

“No, uh-uh. I found somethin’ under that tree…” Wayne began. Jonathan looked at his curiously. Wayne’s property wasn’t too far from where they’d found Clark… or where he’d buried his space ship. He looked at Wayne wearily. Could he have found it? “…a rock! I sent a sample off to the state lab to check it out. Today I got federal agents asking me a lot of questions. They got bulldozers showing up tomorrow.”

“Bulldozers?” Jonathan repeated hoarsely. If they found Clarks’ ship…

“I need you to keep this for me till I figure this out,” Wayne instructed, pulling out a large metal box from his truck and opened it up. A large glowing rock sat inside it with dirt and roots from where Wayne had pulled it out of the ground.

“What…what do you think it is?” Jonathan asked.

“Don’t know…” Wayne said, handing him the box after he closed the lid. “I’ll be in touch.”

Lois sighed happily as they walked down the sidewalk a few blocks in silence. Clark had been quiet since they left the Marriott. His arm rested on her shoulders as they walked. She smiled when she realized they were approaching the gate to MetU where they’d first met. “Feeling nostalgic?”

He smiled, “Maybe,” He pulled her to him, placing her in the same spot she’d been in when she’d literally crashed into him when they’d first met. “Do you realize it has been exactly a year today since we first met?”

“Really?” she scrunched her nose. “A year?”

“Yes,” He smiled. “A year ago today I was staring at these enormous gates, contemplating my future in Metropolis then you crashed into my life…” He laughed at the memory.

“I wouldn’t say crash ….exactly….bumped…maybe glided…” She corrected with a smile as she linked her arms around his neck. “It’s been a crazy year,”

He smiled, “I wouldn’t trade a single moment,” He cupped her cheek, brushing a few stray strands of hair out of her face. “I love you so much Lois. I …I can’t imagine my life without you in it.”

“…and I love you,” she whispered, leaning in to kiss him. “I’ve never known anyone like you…” She stroked his cheek, outlining his jaw with her fingers. “I really…love you…You know that?”

He smiled at her, “Yeah, I love you too…” He rested his forehead against hers, “I….just…I don’t know. I imagine the world ….the future….I can’t imagine any of it without you there…standing with me.”

She could feel the butterflies in her stomach fluttering as he spoke. Before she knew it she was saying the scary words she never thought she’d be the one saying. “Marry me,”

He looked at her in surprise, “What?”

Had she just said that? Of course she did. That had definitely been her voice. Had he heard her? Yes, he definitely heard her. She could feel the tears welling up as she anticipated him pulling away from her….but he didn’t. Instead he cupped her cheek and whispered ‘yes’ before capturing her lips with his own.

Lois laughed as they made their way into his apartment, fumbling with the keys to the door in-between heated kisses as he closed the door behind them. “Sorry about Lucy….” Lois murmured against his lips. “I didn’t know she’d still be up….”

He brushed his lips against her neck, slipping his hands around her back as he fumbled with the zipper to her dress. “At least this way….no interruptions….” His jacket fell to the ground as he slipped a finger beneath the bell sleeves of her dress, brushing it off her shoulders. His shirt soon followed as her dress pooled around her waist, revealing the black and blue lace corset she had been wearing earlier when he’d come to pick her up. “I love you…” He murmured against her lips as she fumbled with the fasten to his belt buckle.

“Oh, Clark….” She gasped when she felt him lift her up in his arms as she stepped out of her dress.

“You are so …sexy, Lois Lane…” he whispered as he carried them towards the bedroom.

“Yes, Clark….” She cried out when he laid her on his bed, not losing contact with her for a moment as his lips devoured hers as his dress pants fell to the floor along with the corset.

“I love you….” He whispered, cupping her cheek with his palm. She nodded hazily reaching for him as she tossed her panties over her shoulder.

She reached for him, “Yes…”

“Tell me what you want…” He whispered huskily.

“You,” she gasped as they fell on the bed together.

Her legs wrapped around his hips, linking around her arms around his neck as they murmured cries of pleasure to one another. “Don’t stop…”

“Never…” He murmured, recapturing her lips with his own.

Present Day…

Lois fumed angrily as they drove in the Jeep to Smallville. Traffic was a nightmare. She had panicked after seeing Clark floating in the air….well, pacing in the air. Martha had closed the door and given her a quick explanation of her and Jonathan finding Clark when he was a baby but not knowing where he came from until Trask had come to Smallville looking for alien life. Somehow she’d been talked into getting them out of the newsroom and driving to Smallville. She’d agreed but she still wasn’t happy.

“Lois, are you going to talk to me?” Martha asked.

“No,” Lois snipped angrily. “What is there to talk about? I can’t be angry….not really. I mean you only had six years to tell me something that might have been important to know when I was oh I don’t know…PREGNANT….I can’t be mad at Clark because he doesn’t even remember anything….” She fumed angrily. “Why didn’t YOU tell me?”

“It was Clark’s secret to tell and honestly we were planning on telling you…” Martha began. “It just happened too fast. You had Jamie. Then you were recovering and we were still stuck in our grief over Clark….then after Jamie died….There just wasn’t a right time to tell you…”

“Were you EVER going to tell me?” Lois cried. “Was HE???”

Martha sighed, glancing back at Clark who had fallen asleep in the backseat. “He tried….Jonathan didn’t want him telling you until you two had known each other longer. Then when you came to Smallville engaged Clark said he wanted to tell you. We agreed but before he could the whole fiasco with that Trask character happened….I’m sorry.”

“Six years!” Lois fumed angrily. “Six years…I think I’m entitled to be a little upset,”

Five Years Ago…

“I still don’t think it’s a good idea,” Clark said, following Lois into the elevator as they left the newsroom the next day.

“This is a huge opportunity!” Lois argued, holding her hands up to symbolize the click of a camera, “Lex Luthor’s First Personal Interview by Lane and Kent….”

“Except he doesn’t want ME interviewing him he wants just YOU, Lois Lane….I don’t know….Something about the guy is just…off…” Clark argued.

Lois sighed, “How about this? I go to the interview and if ANYTHING is out of the ordinary I leave…deal?” She linked her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. “It’s a really big opportunity….”

He relented, wrapping his arms around her protectively. “If he even sneezes wrong you leave,”

“Yes, Master,” she teased, bobbing her head like Jeanie from ‘I Dream of Jeanie’ as they stepped off the elevator.

“Not funny,” Clark countered.

Later that evening, Lois entered the Luthor Towers lobby with a notebook in hand and tape recorder ready. This was the moment. The turning point in her career. She knew Clark was uncomfortable with her interviewing Lex alone but she had talked him into backing off so she could land this interview.

The elevator doors opened and an elderly man with a mustache and balding white hair stepped out, “Ms. Lane?”

“Yes?” She stood up from her seat.

He looked her up and down and frowned. She glanced down at her business suit, uncertain what the look was about. “A bit under dressed for dinner, but …uh, right this way…”

She followed him onto the elevator and watched nervously as the floor numbers changed over and over until they reached the penthouse. They stepped off the elevator and she entered a dining room where Lex sat at a long table with dinner prepared and a man servant stood behind him, waiting. “Ah, Ms. Lane, so glad you could make it.”

Lois nodded nervously looking around the room. There were candles and roses all over the room. All of a sudden, she was feeling very uncomfortable.

TBC...

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving break for those that celebrate and enjoy the time with family. I'm hoping to have the next few parts in the next few weeks.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube